Author Topic: Giant Bombcast  (Read 139139 times)

Quaker

Re: Giant Bombcast
« Reply #840 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:50 PM »
I looked on their site and it doesn't look like they even bother doing the write ups anymore :lol
https://www.giantbomb.com/words/

(Not your fault, one of the the latest podcasts they tried to point people to the GOTY written coverage, stammered when they realized there was no URL, and finally just said "google it.")

Apparently the dumb minor games that they used to do Quick Looks for end up on their premium Friday streams now? I have a sub so it's not a gripe, but I didn't even know I was supposed to be looking there.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #841 on: February 09, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »
I tweeted @Giantbomb that I was bummed that there werent any quicklooks on the site, and thay there are a bunch of games out they havent looked at. They said qls are coming soon 🤷🏼‍♂️
What

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #842 on: February 09, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »
Found the actual list via some Google-fu

People really love them some Hades huh.
Hi

thetylerrob

« Reply #843 on: February 09, 2021, 04:06:46 PM »
That list is white bread with a side of "I heard it was good on twitter". Did any of them actually finish Yakuza?

Klelk

« Reply #844 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:16 PM »
You are now painfully aware of Brad's uptalk
HelloooOOOOO?
I think SOOOOOO?
MayBEEEEEE?
 :kobeyuck

Trent Dole

« Reply #845 on: February 09, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
That list is white bread with a side of "I heard it was good on twitter". Did any of them actually finish Yakuza?
Looking at that list makes me think 'I didn't play a whole lot of games in '20, and I guess I didn't really miss much'
Hi

Risible

« Reply #846 on: February 10, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
Giant Bomb is still my "put it on in the background while I do other shit" podcast.  Been listening since the beginning and it's like comfort food.  That being said it's in its most dire state right now since...well, since inception.

Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad worked really well since it was 3 funny guys with one straight man.  Currently it's now two podcasts each with one funny guy and a bunch of vanilla dudes that run the gamut from mildly entertaining to boring as shit to outright annoying.

Jeff is still funny and insightful, albeit clearly tired of the games industry to some degree.  Jan is occasionally interesting and funny.  Jason is just boring.  Nice dude but adds nothing at all.  Brad is just Brad, and by that I mean the quintessential straight man that's just kinda there. 

Vinny, like Jeff, is both funny and insightful.  Bakalar is interesting and funny but also pretty middle of the road and bland.  Alex might have the most annoying voice and personality out of any online personality I listen to.  His Debbie Downer schtick is grating as fuck.  It's like listening to a thirteen year old edgelord for three hours and he NEVER shuts the fuck up, he has to interject on EVERYTHING.

They desperately need an injection of talent.  I fear the podcast is not long for the world since they've been bought out.  They need to clean house and get their shit together and start producing more interesting content.  It would be an honest shame if the Bomb/Beast Cast ended.

Boredfrom

« Reply #847 on: February 10, 2021, 07:45:17 PM »
Looking at that list makes me think 'I didn't play a whole lot of games in '20, and I guess I didn't really miss much'

Hades is fucking excellent, though.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #848 on: February 13, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
They didnt even play Mafia Definitve Edition..

None of them  :lol

And it was a damn good game too
What

G The Resurrected

« Reply #849 on: February 14, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »
That hitmazing race content was a snore fest. Brad was fucking up so much it didn’t even come off genuinely when Vinny was just joshing around.... I pay for this shit?!?

Rorie’s Werwolves QL might be the worst thing I’ve seen in a long time.

Quaker

« Reply #850 on: February 14, 2021, 07:18:41 PM »
On the one hand, I cringe a little bit whenever I read the daggers people throw at public Vidya personalities like the clearly misogynic shit people would throw at Abby or the PC Master Race or System Wars shit throw at Jeff or the Digital Foundry guys.

Also I'm finding it lame that so much of the harassment or criticism towards online personalities comes from people looking for validation for their tastes or system choices. For Giant Bomb in particular, I'm here for the fuckery and to get a gist of game releases. Super cringe at (presumably) grown-ass men harassing them directly for "console bias" or because their GOTY lists didn't align.

On the other hand, isn't the premise behind personality based patronage through subs or Patreons based on valuing the content/personalities? And much of the content itself is based on being critical of other content. I mean, Ben of all people didn't have a problem going in on that Ubisoft "Breath of the Wild" clone because it was Dreamworks-level unfunny to him but it's not fair game to say that I nope the fuck out of a Quick Look if it's a Ben/Jason/Rorie joint? And they didn't have a problem shitting on that new Yuji Naka game last week.

Jeff looked pretty defeated on his last Jar Time video. It can be a little frustrating how cynical he can be sometimes(and how he'll deny it and take umbrage if people bring it up) but I totally get him being "too old for this shit" and my favorite streams nowadays are probably still his solo MISTer streams. I feel bad for him and Vinnie trying to bring up a family and keeping the site afloat. Hopefully if it folds they'll be able to land on their feet, Jeff Green style.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #851 on: February 14, 2021, 11:54:50 PM »
Jeff Green didn’t exactly land on his feet. Dude has been just straight up lucky to get in on the ground floor of a consultant group that is fed by loads of capital investment firms looking for that next big thing in the industry. And it literally put his ass in the hospital at the end of the day. He did make loads of money though.

Jeff and Vinnie will eventually have to make a choice and I don’t look forward to that day. I love their banter and knowledge but realize they can’t keep things up for much longer.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #852 on: February 15, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
On the one hand, I cringe a little bit whenever I read the daggers people throw at public Vidya personalities like the clearly misogynic shit people would throw at Abby or the PC Master Race or System Wars shit throw at Jeff or the Digital Foundry guys.

Also I'm finding it lame that so much of the harassment or criticism towards online personalities comes from people looking for validation for their tastes or system choices. For Giant Bomb in particular, I'm here for the fuckery and to get a gist of game releases. Super cringe at (presumably) grown-ass men harassing them directly for "console bias" or because their GOTY lists didn't align.

On the other hand, isn't the premise behind personality based patronage through subs or Patreons based on valuing the content/personalities? And much of the content itself is based on being critical of other content. I mean, Ben of all people didn't have a problem going in on that Ubisoft "Breath of the Wild" clone because it was Dreamworks-level unfunny to him but it's not fair game to say that I nope the fuck out of a Quick Look if it's a Ben/Jason/Rorie joint? And they didn't have a problem shitting on that new Yuji Naka game last week.

Jeff looked pretty defeated on his last Jar Time video. It can be a little frustrating how cynical he can be sometimes(and how he'll deny it and take umbrage if people bring it up) but I totally get him being "too old for this shit" and my favorite streams nowadays are probably still his solo MISTer streams. I feel bad for him and Vinnie trying to bring up a family and keeping the site afloat. Hopefully if it folds they'll be able to land on their feet, Jeff Green style.

If personality is the product, if someone doesnt like that specific personality, noone should be able to take offense to that.

What

Quaker

« Reply #853 on: February 15, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
Posting in an open thread that Ben or Abby are painfully unfunny or :zzz? Fair game.
Gleefully posting pictures of them in an unemployment line or @-ing them direct on Twitter? Kind of a shithead, cringe move, IMO.
Jeff Green didn’t exactly land on his feet. Dude has been just straight up lucky to get in on the ground floor of a consultant group that is fed by loads of capital investment firms looking for that next big thing in the industry. And it literally put his ass in the hospital at the end of the day. He did make loads of money though.

Jeff and Vinnie will eventually have to make a choice and I don’t look forward to that day. I love their banter and knowledge but realize they can’t keep things up for much longer.
Yeesh, I stopped following Jeff Green on Twitter after Trump because I try to avoid constant political doomposting on my feed but I assumed he was still working as a consultant with N'Gai Croal's consultancy company, which seems like the least ethically compromised way to pivot out of games journalism with no other marketable skills. He seemed in good spirits on his podcast interview series last year.

Still, hopefully it if folds Jeff G and Vinny will be able to land on their feet somewhere. Brad already has a side gig doing a tech podcast with Tested.com's Will Smith that's doing pretty well on Patreon so far. Maybe they can do PR/video production for Iron Galaxy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:59:01 PM by Quaker »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #854 on: February 15, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »

I had accidentally checked out the comments under one of John's Digital Foundry tweets and was fucking STUNNED by the toxicity. I am a veteran of the old console wars but we never took it to this level, I mean Chadwarden was about as bad as it got

Trent Dole

« Reply #855 on: February 15, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »
Oh there were plenty of people being insufferable during the Cube/Ps2/Xb days.
Hi

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #856 on: February 16, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Oh there were plenty of people being insufferable during the Cube/Ps2/Xb days.

There's a difference between a 12 year old idiot saying uninformed 12 year old stuff versus people in their 30's spending every waking moment bitching, targeting people, and whinging online.

GamerGate was quickly forgotten, but that was absolutely the dumbest shit possible and has no equivalent in the early 2000's. Swatting didn't happen during Halo 2 days like it has been for the past five years.

There is a difference between stupidity and malice. Gamers in the past were arguably a lot more stupid and misinformed (natural things for young teenage dudes). Whereas many grown ass adult dudes have malice and anger over videogames.

Stupidity is sorta toxic, malice absolutely is.
OH!

Trent Dole

« Reply #857 on: February 16, 2021, 12:56:01 PM »
Oh sure the outright sociopathy over videogames happened later, but gamers were always stupid.
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #858 on: February 16, 2021, 12:59:59 PM »
During the Halo 2 days its gonna be pretty hard to look up someones adress from their gamertag.

These days tho? I can bet you swatting would happen if online and social media was as prevelant as it is today.

What

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #859 on: February 24, 2021, 11:28:37 PM »
It's been refreshing having o'dwyer on the bombcast the last few weeks cuz the dude actually plays games and has things to say about them

daycru

« Reply #860 on: February 25, 2021, 12:41:32 AM »
They still get a load of vaguely notable people like Kenny Olivier and the indie dev gang to do top ten for them tho :oreilly

I imagine that is the grand total of Alex Navarro's effort for the year :lol
Maybe Alex’s depression is caused by knowing that his entire career is owed to the charity of a friend from high school

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #861 on: March 10, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »
I was having such fun watching them play Valheim until they had to fucking drag Abby into it

:yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #862 on: March 10, 2021, 04:43:08 PM »
omg what bastards :scust
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #863 on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:56 PM »
omg what bastards :scust

Yeah paying for content with people I have no interest in really sucks.
What

Boredfrom

« Reply #864 on: March 10, 2021, 10:37:56 PM »
You continue to pay for GB?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #865 on: March 11, 2021, 02:27:41 AM »
You continue to pay for GB?

After Abby left I reupped for a month or so, the Valheim content was to my interest so Ill pay 5 bucks to watch it. Not with abby tho, cancelled sub again of they are bringing her on features and the bombcast tbh
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #866 on: March 11, 2021, 03:43:42 AM »
Does she have cooties or something :trumps
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #867 on: March 11, 2021, 04:33:57 AM »
Does she have cooties or something :trumps

She takes over the entire conversation and always is trying to be the center of attention

I just dont like her abbrasive obnoxious personality
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #868 on: March 11, 2021, 05:23:33 AM »
i dont remember her being like that aside from her infamous temper tantrum that one time about goty :lol :lol

tbf before she joined i was already drifting off their content so :trumps
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #869 on: March 11, 2021, 05:30:07 AM »
alex navarros turd in the punch bowl gimmick is a waaaaay bigger turn off tbh :trumps
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #870 on: March 17, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »

STUBBS THE ZOMBIE!
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #871 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:41 PM »

I had accidentally checked out the comments under one of John's Digital Foundry tweets and was fucking STUNNED by the toxicity. I am a veteran of the old console wars but we never took it to this level, I mean Chadwarden was about as bad as it got

"You see me now, the veteran of a thousand Comments Wars…"

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #872 on: March 19, 2021, 11:53:18 AM »

that's scary

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #873 on: March 19, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »
Timestamp or???

I guess you mean Vinnys voice.. yeah thats fucked man I hope he heals soon
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #874 on: March 19, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »
no abby no listen :phil
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #875 on: March 19, 2021, 02:37:37 PM »
 :shaq2
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #876 on: March 20, 2021, 01:25:50 AM »
Timestamp or???

I guess you mean Vinnys voice.. yeah thats fucked man I hope he heals soon

Yeah that's what I meant. Keep forgetting time stamps don't work on thebore dot cum

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #877 on: May 04, 2021, 02:35:45 PM »
(ice)

Trent Dole

« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2021, 02:47:13 PM »
Pretty much. It'd been in zombie mode for a while with the old crew split across two offices anyway.
Hi

Boredfrom

« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »
I kind of want to be more sad about this... but man the last years were terrible. Glad I never renewed.

Quaker

« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2021, 03:10:49 PM »
Hopefully Vinny lands on his feet, he added the most personality/host wise aside from Jeff. Sleepy Brad already has a successful Patreon/Discord where he's way more engaged talking about his NAS box and putting rollerblade wheels on his 20 year old office chair than he's ever been on the Bombcast and I'm not sure what it would take to make Alex not miserable.

As it is it seemed untenable to have a GB East and a GB West after the merger and there would be significant redundancy in them repeating their nearly exact same takes four or five times in a week between the Quick Look, Tuesday Bombcast, Thursday Beastcast, Friday Hotspot and Unprofessional Friday stream.

TBH the best Giant Bomb content since umm...last year has been Jeff livestreaming himself solo sifting through literal trash in his garage so I'm not too chuffed(which is not necessarily a knock, those streams are genuinely great.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:16:38 PM by Quaker »

Klelk

« Reply #881 on: May 04, 2021, 03:11:55 PM »
Just shut it down already, site has been in zombie mode foryears  :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #882 on: May 04, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »
Yeah they didnt even cover the mafia remake

But yeah ok goodbye giantbomb it was nice knowing you. Time to harvest the old content though. Always fun for a rewatch the old Ryan days
What

Mostima

« Reply #883 on: May 04, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
GB has been depressing for years. All they do is talk about not having time to play games and make lame ass excuses about how they're always too busy having meetings or pretending like their stream layout is way more complicated and takes way longer to setup than every other streamer. They've been checked out for years, and the new hires that did seem to want to make video content like Ben, Abby, and Jan were either boring or awful.

Boredfrom

« Reply #884 on: May 04, 2021, 03:28:09 PM »
If 20 year old Virtual youtubers are able to stream and interact with people at the other side of the pacific, is on them for not bothering to adapt their infrastructure.

Trent Dole

« Reply #885 on: May 04, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
They're all in what their 40s and have been covering videogames basically the entirety of their adult lives, they're old and tired and aren't super into it anymore. :doge
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #886 on: May 04, 2021, 03:31:04 PM »
I think Red Ventures just said nahh fuck this site. We are buying you out and giving yous six month contract
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #887 on: May 04, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »
Is that a fair comparison? That 20 year old streamer probably doesn’t pay for anything, have a real job, relationships, a household to maintain, and has content that revolves around memeing it up in Among Us.

Either website is for sure dead with Vinny, Alex, and Brad leaving.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #888 on: May 04, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
Is that a fair comparison? That 20 year old streamer probably doesn’t pay for anything, have a real job, relationships, a household to maintain, and has content that revolves around memeing it up in Among Us.

Yeah, and if a 20 year old can do all that + stream on the regular, why cant these slow asses pull it off with any ease? Always technical issues, bad sound mixing etc.

Its their job lol
What

Himu

« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
RIP GB
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2021, 03:36:58 PM »

Lol woah.

Man, you wish that was the case.

Mostima

« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2021, 03:40:29 PM »
They stopped doing written content and reviews, they constantly miss out on big releases, and barely even finish games. I think it's safe to say they had free reins over their video content and they chose to have Alex drumming to a few hundred people for over a year.

It's so easy to appease GB fans, do an endurance run of Persona 5, do all systems Goku with another popular anime series like JoJo. But I guess let's just have Abby playing Nancy Drew games and Jan talking about Pokémon instead.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #892 on: May 04, 2021, 03:43:09 PM »
Nancy Drew

More like Nancy who gives a shit
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #893 on: May 04, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »

Yeah, and if a 20 year old can do all that + stream on the regular, why cant these slow asses pull it off with any ease? Always technical issues, bad sound mixing etc.

Its their job lol
Because they have lives and actual interests beyond playing battle royals or the latest meme game for hours? They aren’t streamers. They are salaried game journalists. Even the original style of GB wasn’t built around the current trend of streaming that involves no sleeping or whatever the most recent twitch accomplishment is. I hate to be dismissive of twitch streamers, but I sure don’t give a shit about what goes in that sphere and not at all what I came to GB for. I came for the genuine and informed game critics who I sure didn’t ask for constant streaming of whatever the recent twitch fad game is. The technical issues and general lack of enthuasim mixed with old man cynicism is why they fell off and it’s a shame. But I don’t think it’s a surprise that 40 year old pre twitch era game journalists with homes and families aren’t doing the same thing as a 20 year old streamer.

Boredfrom

« Reply #894 on: May 04, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »
They're all in what their 40s and have been covering videogames basically the entirety of their adult lives, they're old and tired and aren't super into it anymore. :doge

But they had like 4 or 5 years since the split to iron out the technical issues at least. That is the minimum they could do to at least not being trapped in Ben/Jan combos for two years.

Boredfrom

« Reply #895 on: May 04, 2021, 03:47:07 PM »

Its their job lol
Because they have lives and actual interests beyond playing battle royals or the latest meme game for hours? They aren’t streamers. They are salaried game journalists. Even the original style of GB wasn’t built around the current trend of streaming that involves no sleeping or whatever the most recent twitch accomplishment is. I hate to be dismissive of twitch streamers, but I sure don’t give a shit about what goes in that sphere and not at all what I came to GB for. I came for the genuine and informed game critics who I sure didn’t ask for constant streaming of whatever the recent twitch fad game is. The technical issues and general lack of enthuasim mixed with old man cynicism is why they fell off and it’s a shame. But I don’t think it’s a surprise that 40 year old pre twitch era game journalists with homes and families aren’t doing the same thing as a 20 year old streamer.

No offense dude, but you really don’t have any idea of what you are talking about. In my case I’m not talking about Twitch streamers, at all.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #896 on: May 04, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
(rax quote)

Bro I love those guys, I had a lot of joy from their site over the years.but lets not pretend they were informed, well prepared for most videogames they played, shit they could barely tell you the price of the game when doing a quick look. Uhh whats this cost? I dunno let me look it up on my phone.

Their content dwindled a lot these past years, especially if you got tired of Abby and Ben. The drum streams were cool for eztra life once year, I would watch Alex go nuts for half an hour and have my fill.

Mostima is totally right, it was easy for them to create some kind of content to eppease the GB fans. Oh no we have to record an hour and a half of gameplay with two people to finish a game, cant do that, too much pressure (or investment).

Remember that KOTOR stream that was fun, too bad they only did two episodes at the beginning of the lockdown or something. Maybe Alex didnt quite like it but Vinny could have done a few more streams.
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #897 on: May 04, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
The answer is simple: They didn't want to copy streamers or phone it in.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #898 on: May 04, 2021, 03:52:45 PM »

Lol woah.

Man, you wish that was the case.
I don’t wish anything because I don’t give a shit. Twitch streaming isn’t anything I care about. But when I see 20 year olds streaming complete with intense set-ups but a room that looks like a hellhole, I kind of doubt their lives are the same as a dude who has a 2nd child on the way and have dealing with cbs.

Yeah I’ve seen that chick with the cgi render who makes awkward jokes and is a waifu space ghost. Not for me, but no doubt plenty of effort. But I think it’s unreasonable to expect Giant Bomb to really have a grasp on where that stuff is headed.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #899 on: May 04, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »
 :noooo
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Their content has been trash for years.  :no1curr
[close]