Author Topic: Giant Bombcast  (Read 140393 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Giant Bombcast
« Reply #900 on: May 04, 2021, 03:55:02 PM »
Wait for Ben Hanson to interview all of them. He's interviewed every other GB alumn who's left recently.

Boredfrom

« Reply #901 on: May 04, 2021, 03:55:33 PM »
The answer is simple: They didn't want to copy streamers or phone it in.

But they have phone it for years. Not the enthusiasm, obviously, but caring for the site outside of “its a job”.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #902 on: May 04, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »
Is that a fair comparison? That 20 year old streamer probably doesn’t pay for anything, have a real job, relationships, a household to maintain, and has content that revolves around memeing it up in Among Us.

Either website is for sure dead with Vinny, Alex, and Brad leaving.

Yeah, and if a 20 year old can do all that + stream on the regular, why cant these slow asses pull it off with any ease? Always technical issues, bad sound mixing etc.

Its their job lol
Because they have lives and actual interests beyond playing battle royals or the latest meme game for hours? They aren’t streamers. They are salaried game journalists. Even the original style of GB wasn’t built around the current trend of streaming that involves no sleeping or whatever the most recent twitch accomplishment is. I hate to be dismissive of twitch streamers, but I sure don’t give a shit about what goes in that sphere and not at all what I came to GB for. I came for the genuine and informed game critics who I sure didn’t ask for constant streaming of whatever the recent twitch fad game is. The technical issues and general lack of enthuasim mixed with old man cynicism is why they fell off and it’s a shame. But I don’t think it’s a surprise that 40 year old pre twitch era game journalists with homes and families aren’t doing the same thing as a 20 year old streamer.

No offense dude, but you really don’t have any idea of what you are talking about. In my case I’m not talking about Twitch streamers, at all.
Then what are you talking about?

Klelk

« Reply #903 on: May 04, 2021, 03:56:14 PM »
Jeff staying is fucking weird

Boredfrom

« Reply #904 on: May 04, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »
Is that a fair comparison? That 20 year old streamer probably doesn’t pay for anything, have a real job, relationships, a household to maintain, and has content that revolves around memeing it up in Among Us.

Lol woah.

Man, you wish that was the case.
I don’t wish anything because I don’t give a shit. Twitch streaming isn’t anything I care about. But when I see 20 year olds streaming complete with intense set-ups but a room that looks like a hellhole, I kind of doubt their lives are the same as a dude who has a 2nd child on the way and have dealing with cbs.

Yeah I’ve seen that chick with the cgi render who makes awkward jokes and is a waifu space ghost. Not for me, but no doubt plenty of effort. But I think it’s unreasonable to expect Giant Bomb to really have a grasp on where that stuff is headed.

It unreasonable to expect them to have technical expertise to be able to stream/video recording with each other  At regular basis?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #905 on: May 04, 2021, 03:58:38 PM »

But they have phone it for years. Not the enthusiasm, obviously, but caring for the site outside of “its a job”.
What is your point? Should they have continued like that until retirement? :wtf

Boredfrom

« Reply #906 on: May 04, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »

What is your point? Should they have continued like that until retirement? :wtf

:doge

Of course not. That’s why I’m not that sad the site is dead.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #907 on: May 04, 2021, 04:27:33 PM »
Well  it was my mistake that I read your posts as a comparison on content.

No I think their technical side has been pretty awful from the beginning. Even the website was bad and I never think they adapted to YouTube as well as others. I mean lots of these set ups usually have crew dedicated to this stuff.

But then again I feel like Giantbomb is a relic from that 1up era. Don’t think they ever adopted to how things are done now and I don’t think their audience asked them too.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #908 on: May 04, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
Jeff staying is fucking weird
He's the founder, it's his site. If he's gone GB basically doesn't exist even moreso than in its current zombie state.
Hi

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #909 on: May 04, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
Kind of sucks. But at the same time, I dont listen reguarly at all anymore, or watch any of their stuff almost ever. They're always late and usually without a great finished product anymore. Mostima is right, there is so many things they could have done and pleased the fan base. A persona 5 playthrough for example. That would have had me watching, like Persona 4, Deadly Premonition and the metal gear games with Drew. But it clearly had gone sour for them, and I guess I kind of understand that as well.

Just hope Vinny won't leave the industry for good. Would love to see him do play throughs of old point and clicks, and bad FMV's. But realistically, he probably is the only one of them who could leave and be successful with something different.

For me, my interest mostly died when they were bought again. Ryan dying was a huge blow, and they lost a lot of what made them interesting then. But the split up into two offices and being bought out again really really sucked. What I loved at GB was the random ass videos of them in a shitty basement, and play throughs of fun games, or quick looks of weird shit. The only thing I really watched from them the last few years, has been E3 and other conference coverage.

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #910 on: May 04, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »
Well I'm depressed. Haven't missed a bombcast in about 10 years. It's been rough the last few years for sure, but I didn't think it'd end like this

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #911 on: May 04, 2021, 09:13:54 PM »
Wow this is shitty. That being said, Garage Talk struck a fine line between being incredibly depressing and entertaining

Quaker

« Reply #912 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:18 PM »
Holy fuck, it's been 11 years since the E3 where Microsoft handed out those stupid ponchos with electronic glowsticks built into them.

Instead of a hotel they rented out some shitty house for a week and they didn't have furniture so Jeff had to livestream in a wheelchair.  :lol

Ugh, I already have Fire Escape, Retronauts, Insert Credit, Waypoint and 8-4 Play so I'm good on weekly videogame podcasts but not having their press conference commentary and E3 after hours streams is pretty shitty.

<>

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #913 on: May 04, 2021, 10:12:50 PM »
Let's see what Jeff has planned.

:idont

OH!

Klelk

« Reply #914 on: May 05, 2021, 06:07:49 AM »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #916 on: May 05, 2021, 10:05:08 AM »
Theres some infos coming out later this week/next week

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1389650808401063939

HOT ASS SPECULATION: Giant bomb is being rolled into gamespot but the bombcast (and the branding might be used for a few things) will continue (for now...)
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #917 on: May 05, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #918 on: May 05, 2021, 10:36:30 AM »
acting like giant bomb was a hot property in october 2020 too :rofl
(ice)

Quaker

« Reply #919 on: May 05, 2021, 12:06:57 PM »
Hmm, that tweet is ridiculously Costanza-levels petty, but I had to mute Alex off twitter because his brand of contrarian, misanthropic cynicism was off the charts. Dude always had to have a Debbie Downer hot take.

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1230200288751083520

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #920 on: May 05, 2021, 12:07:57 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol that one aged well
(ice)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #921 on: May 05, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/bangbangclick/status/1319333307595821068   :jawalrus

and?

Stadia has already been cancelled for a while now, you dumb cunt
___

Boredfrom

« Reply #922 on: May 06, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »

So, the quick look is the usual Vinny/Brad combo but is fucking telling when the say:

"Did you finish RE7?"
"No. Did you?"
"No"

Re7 is short as hell.

Is really kind of sad and awkward moment when the say: "Well, I should finish RE7 before starting th... oh wait"

I love this guys... but they dropped the ball this past years. I hope they get their excitement back after whatever projects the do after this.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #923 on: May 07, 2021, 03:55:14 PM »
It's a shame, the final Beastcast really continued the same dour mood and Vinnie alluded to a little more of his reasoning, but nothing substatial. The content has been on autopilot for so long, just no passion.
rub

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #924 on: May 08, 2021, 06:21:13 AM »
Dissapointing last stream 😅
What

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #925 on: May 08, 2021, 03:08:06 PM »
Dissapointing last stream 😅

Man, what a dumb game to go out on, but at the same time metaphorical.
rub

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #926 on: May 08, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »
I mean this is the greatest GB moment in years

:-*

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #927 on: May 08, 2021, 03:45:55 PM »
wtf :doge
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #928 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:57 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #929 on: May 09, 2021, 06:57:42 AM »
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #930 on: May 09, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
Brad and Will had Vinny on their podcast

https://techpod.content.town/episodes/86-42u-or-bust

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #931 on: May 15, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
How had i never heard of that podcast. I love some Will Smith

Klelk

« Reply #932 on: May 18, 2021, 04:07:16 AM »
Jeff's silence on Palestine speaks volumes  :doge

Trent Dole

« Reply #933 on: May 18, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »
Think he's busy figuring out what to do with his site that everyone has left. :doge
Hi

Quaker

« Reply #934 on: May 18, 2021, 09:22:29 PM »
Imagine spending your free time cataloguing where the writers of Wizard/ToyFare magazine stand on Israel/Palastine instead of...literally anything else.

(It's nice if we can move to a place where we can criticize Israel without being immediately dismissed as anti-Semitic but this litmus test on dudes who in large part review garish, semi-interactive slot machines is pretty lame.)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #935 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:54 PM »
Think he's busy figuring out what to do with his site that everyone has left. :doge

Turn it into a Garfield enthusiast site.
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #936 on: May 19, 2021, 07:32:39 AM »
jeff siding with trump is no surprise

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #937 on: June 07, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/nextlander/status/1401940490816208904

I'm not against people trying to earn a living, but this seems kinda sad :fbm
(ice)

Quaker

« Reply #938 on: June 07, 2021, 03:00:39 PM »
Awful branding and wtf at them painting a rosy picture of leaving Giant Bomb on their own will to start...this.

That being said, I hope Vinny gets to opportunity to pay his mortgage through podcast and livestreaming until he's 65 if that's what he wants. He was even great on that Waypoint Warhammer stream last week.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #939 on: June 07, 2021, 03:24:02 PM »
Considering how good Fire Escape Cast is, I dont think I will end up paying for this, when it's really only Vinny I like.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #940 on: June 07, 2021, 03:32:18 PM »
i've not listened to it cos i have no interest in listening to a vidya podcast atm, but vinny moving onto better things professionally or whatever and joining that pod seemed like a nice ending and a good fit. being reduced doing a patereon that is cashing in on goodwill from a dead website (with alex navarro in particular) is taking an L that he doesn't deserve.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i don't hate navarro but i wouldn't be teaming up with him on a project that will, in theory, be paying my mortgage
[close]
(ice)

Trent Dole

« Reply #941 on: June 08, 2021, 01:50:29 AM »
So they left Giant Bomb to do ...Giant Bomb? :thinking
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #942 on: June 08, 2021, 03:34:43 AM »
Maybe they just didnt want corporate overlords or jeff
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #943 on: June 08, 2021, 05:30:28 AM »
Jeff said RedVentures wanted to bring GiantBomb into the future or something, but we don't know what that actually means. Maybe Brad, Vinny, and Alex weren't on board with whatever was coming down the line.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #944 on: June 08, 2021, 07:31:16 AM »
Is the future something where there are at least solid internet connections on their end or?
What

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #945 on: June 29, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »
hey everyone they introduced new shows

hello
rub

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #946 on: June 30, 2021, 12:09:46 AM »
Hey wow yeah, a Jeff Grubb podcast and a souls series playthrough
Not like there's like, a bunch of other outlets for both those things already or anything
And gb is definitely known recently for putting a LOT of effort into their shows

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #948 on: January 07, 2022, 10:08:26 PM »
Giant Bomb will not be going back to an office

Announcement

This is the official word a lot of folks have been waiting to hear one way or the other on

Just announced on todays Bombcast.

It appears RV is turning that office space into something else and Jeff said even if everyone wasn’t spread out across the country there wouldn’t be a “viable studio space” to return to regardless.
It's okay to be dissatisfied but let's not do it in unkind ways.

Let's ensure that we continue to show kindness to the Giant Bomb crew.

It's great to provide constructive criticism, but devolving into trash talking is really unkind and unnecessary. We are all presumably here because we have enjoyed what the team has created over the years for us to enjoy. We are also still currently reeling from the impact of the global pandemic which has created large shifts in the games coverage industry and has affected people personally in a bunch of different ways. It is totally understandable that there is a shaking of the status quo going on.

What we need to do as fans is provide quality feedback about the service they're providing us. It's very, very easy to make a huge list of all the stuff you hate. It's much harder, but very valuable, to also provide a list of what you are enjoying. If we provide one without the other it's incredibly difficult for them to make informed decisions about what to do.

Providing exclusively negative feedback in disrespectful ways is not something we as a community should tolerate.

Quaker

« Reply #949 on: January 08, 2022, 02:42:37 AM »
"Providing exclusively negative feedback in disrespectful ways is not something we as a community should tolerate."

Umm, Jeff went on a rant on the newest Bombcast that ended with "these Reddit people are fucking morons" because some dude mentioned Turok in a thread asking about what series could use a comeback/redemption.

(2h25m in)

Directly "@"ing or DMing them is shithead behavior but as long as it's not pretty obviously rooted in racism or misogyny it should be ok to comment about the personalities of a personality based product on a third party website.

The game discussion isn't great but the new show where they just do nerd "morning zoo" bullshitting for an hour with voicemails is not that bad since I'm mostly in it for the fuckery nowadays.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #950 on: January 08, 2022, 08:32:05 AM »
Umm, Jeff went on a rant on the newest Bombcast that ended with "these Reddit people are fucking morons" because some dude mentioned Turok in a thread asking about what series could use a comeback/redemption.
:lol
I'm surprised anybody gives a shit.

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #951 on: January 08, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »
I know it's a meme to say it, but I think we're really in the final days of GB this time. The tone of that subreddit has become absolutely apocalyptic over the past few weeks - and this was, until recently, the ultimate creepy, sycophantic, overly invested defence force going to the mat for Jeff Bakalar's meme show, or actually convincing themselves that Ben was funny. Once you've lost them, who's left?

BisMarckie

« Reply #952 on: January 08, 2022, 11:31:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure the only form of games journalism that will be left is Dan Ryckert shilling for Bud Light while playing 50 turns of Mario Party 3 by himself.

Trent Dole

« Reply #953 on: January 09, 2022, 01:55:20 PM »
Giant Bomb being a shambling corpse has been obvious for a while now. Did they even do a goty discussion this year? They crap out a quick look once in a while and that's it. Jeff is pretty blatantly running out the clock on however long he has to stay after having sold the site back to gamespot or whoever the fuck owns it now and since the site is mostly staffed by his buddies he has no issue with letting them all fuck off and get a paycheck without really doing anything. :yeshrug
Hi

Risible

« Reply #954 on: January 21, 2022, 04:22:15 PM »
Ever since they went back to CBS it's been this loooooong slow decay process where mom and dad aren't getting along and you can see the marriage disintegrating and slowly going to shit.  Jeff is waiting out the clock and three of the original members left to form Neu Giant Bomb Lite.  It's sad, but it is what it is.  I'm hoping Jeff finishes out his contract and then moves on to do something more interesting and fun,

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #955 on: January 21, 2022, 04:33:23 PM »
did they* even bother with a game of the year thing this year?

*idk who they would even refer to :teehee
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #956 on: January 21, 2022, 05:58:25 PM »
I dont really understand why Jeff didnt go with Vinny, Brad and that other guy
What

Quaker

« Reply #957 on: January 21, 2022, 07:38:14 PM »

It starts on Wednesday.

I miss the Beastcast. Boss Bakalar is kind of a smug, snarky prick now that he doesn’t have anyone to check him. Mike on Fire Escape goes too hard with the weird voices and boner jokes. Vinny has to play off Brad and Alex now who suck all the fun out of a room. Surprisingly Dan is the most tolerable now that he’s a little more open minded and flexible with the format and game selection on his streams. Good for him.

Risible

« Reply #958 on: January 21, 2022, 10:46:25 PM »
I dont really understand why Jeff didnt go with Vinny, Brad and that other guy

I'm guessing one of the conditions of the buyout was Jeff staying on but the other folks were considered expendable.

Risible

« Reply #959 on: January 21, 2022, 10:51:04 PM »

It starts on Wednesday.

I miss the Beastcast. Boss Bakalar is kind of a smug, snarky prick now that he doesn’t have anyone to check him. Mike on Fire Escape goes too hard with the weird voices and boner jokes. Vinny has to play off Brad and Alex now who suck all the fun out of a room. Surprisingly Dan is the most tolerable now that he’s a little more open minded and flexible with the format and game selection on his streams. Good for him.

Alex mixed with 4 people was tolerable.  He speaks a disproportionate amount but with 4 people it was at least cut down.  With 3, his Debbie Downer schtick is amped to 11 and reaches a new level of irritating.  So you have one funny dude, one milk flavored bland dude, and one annoying dude.  Not a great mix.

The reason the original Bombcast took off was the fact that Jeff, Ryan, and Vinny were all funny dudes and Brad was fine as the straight dude.  Over the years it kept getting watered down like some homeopathic podcast and now it's so diluted as to be a indistinguishable from water.