Author Topic: SAINTS ROW THE THIRD |OFF| GOTY, HOES, PENIS, GIMPS, LUCHADORES, ORALE!!!!  (Read 130470 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: SAINTS ROW THE THIRD |OFF| GOTY, HOES, PENIS, GIMPS, LUCHADORES, ORALE!!!!
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »
And no more running back to the crib to pick up your money!

Himu

« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2011, 01:32:42 AM »
Personally, I'm 7 hours in and only 20%. I'm on the fence on whether or not I should rush and beat the story so I don't get spoiled or take my time.

After the first day in Steelport I have some general thoughts:

- I think the core gameplay in Saints Row: The Third is better than 2. The story missions have more variety so far, the game's economy makes upgrading your character involving on a wide consistent basis, the controls (on foot and vehicle) are better and feel more natural, and I've always got a smile -- or at least a grin -- on my face while playing it.

- Though the game uses activities as story missions, which really feel like padding, I actually don't mind this, because a lot of these activities are either new (in the case of Pierce's Guardian Angel mission, which owns) or altered to the point where the old activities feel new, or at least slightly improved or revamped. I enjoy that the activities are brought into the story because it gives them a sense of credence. Whereas in SR1 and 2 you'd be doing insurance fraud because some random jerk off tells you to, in SR3, you are given actual story motivations. I like that. It means more Boss, more dialogue from the characters I like.

- On the other hand, I'm disappointed with how they're handling the story. I mean, the dialogue and characters are as great as ever, don't get me wrong. But it feels like so much happens off screen and the game acts like you know what's going on. Take
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Phillip's death for instance. I didn't even realize the Boss killed the dude but in a later cutscene Killbane confirms it.
[close]
This makes the game feel impersonal, which is a contrast to Saints Row 2 where you implant nuclear waste on your foes' tattoo needles, or stash their girlfriend in their car and trick them into running over her at their own monster truck rally. The Boss in Saints Row 2 is a bonafied badass who confronts any and all odds and takes them down, one by one. That's still present, but it feels tame in contrast. Hopefully it gets more SR2-like down the road because one of the best things about SR2 is that the "villains" are just as interesting as the main characters, in their own unique way. Another example of the story's lack of development is (major spoiler)
Johnny's funeral. YOu finish a mission, and then the game transports you to like, a bridge, without any transition whatsoever and then Killbane and his guys do a badass surprise attack. I understood that, but then Shaundi brings up the fact that you were at Johnny's funeral, and I just sat there like "what"
[close]

- Making things easier to access (funds, missions, customization, upgrades, gps) really makes things nice and simple experience. I find myself not doing menial bullshit like driving to my crib just to pick up some cash or staring at my map to see where to go on my gps. You can tell that Volition took the opportunity to care for the player, not so much coddle us, but make the fun shit become easier to access.

- The weird thing is, I find that there's less to do so far. I think this is mostly because activities are instanced and not multi-tiered with levels. I'm not sure if the instances are even bad it's just different, and I can't really claim that to be a negative. The funny thing is that despite all of this, I never really think about it when playing the game because I'm having too much fun to give  a shit.

- Co-op is amazing. I mean, we all knew this, but playing with a friend and getting max bounty on with gangs and the cops is a sight to behold. It becomes utter mayhem as two players take on hundreds of cops and gangsters.

- The game is more difficult than SR2. It doesn't have difficulty spikes or anything, but it just feels...I don't know, like you have to play smarter even if the core fundamentals are about the same. This could be from anything ranging from the lack of healing items to the fact that the cop ai will get on your ass for ANYTHING, when in past games they were far more lenient. I see this as a good thing because it makes forming the Boss from a badass to the ultimate badass even more fun.

I think that ultimately, SR3 improves on most assets SR2 laid upon, making a much more fun game while they're at it, despite taking a step down in some areas, because for every step back, there are literally at least three or four steps forward for every design decision.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »
Also, reading Something Awful, there's already a backlash because it seems the game is content sparse, as if they put most of the content into dlc. GG THQ.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2011, 01:47:38 AM »
- Though the game uses activities as story missions, which really feel like padding, I actually don't mind this, because a lot of these activities are either new (in the case of Pierce's Guardian Angel mission, which owns) or altered to the point where the old activities feel new, or at least slightly improved or revamped. I enjoy that the activities are brought into the story because it gives them a sense of credence. Whereas in SR1 and 2 you'd be doing insurance fraud because some random jerk off tells you to, in SR3, you are given actual story motivations. I like that. It means more Boss, more dialogue from the characters I like.

- The weird thing is, I find that there's less to do so far. I think this is mostly because activities are instanced and not multi-tiered with levels. I'm not sure if the instances are even bad it's just different, and I can't really claim that to be a negative. The funny thing is that despite all of this, I never really think about it when playing the game because I'm having too much fun to give  a shit.
I believe they stuck the activities into the main mission as an introduction to them for new players or people who never do side stuff. The game opens itself up a bit more after you do all those and more of them are identified on the map.

Take
Phillip's death for instance. I didn't even realize the Boss killed the dude but in a later cutscene Killbane confirms it.
[close]
Did you miss that giant orb thing falling on him from the top of the building?
[close]
Another example of the story's lack of development is (major spoiler)
Johnny's funeral. YOu finish a mission, and then the game transports you to like, a bridge, without any transition whatsoever and then Killbane and his guys do a badass surprise attack. I understood that, but then Shaundi brings up the fact that you were at Johnny's funeral, and I just sat there like "what"
[close]
Yeah, that was oddly done. That cutscene took place back in Stillwater so I assume they went back there to attend his funeral and Killbane's attack is what draws you back to Steelport.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2011, 01:48:38 AM »
I don't remember it hitting him.
[close]

See, this is why SR3 needs a cutscene viewer. :maf
IYKYK

drew

• sy
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2011, 02:03:39 AM »
the calendar in friendly fire is set at march 2003 :wtf

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:02 AM »
- On the other hand, I'm disappointed with how they're handling the story. I mean, the dialogue and characters are as great as ever, don't get me wrong. But it feels like so much happens off screen and the game acts like you know what's going on. Take
[close]
This makes the game feel impersonal, which is a contrast to Saints Row 2 where you implant nuclear waste on your foes' tattoo needles, or stash their girlfriend in their car and trick them into running over her at their own monster truck rally. The Boss in Saints Row 2 is a bonafied badass who confronts any and all odds and takes them down, one by one. That's still present, but it feels tame in contrast. Hopefully it gets more SR2-like down the road because one of the best things about SR2 is that the "villains" are just as interesting as the main characters, in their own unique way. Another example of the story's lack of development is (major spoiler)
[close]

That's the biggest issue I have with the game. There's no story transition scenes! It makes the game feel disjointed, which pulls me out of the experience. I'm really not sure what they were thinking there, other than to cut the game down to the bare minimum of cutscenes.

Activities and such do feel a bit sparse, but I can forgive that since what there is to do is so much fun [including story missions]. I do wish they'd come up with more, even crazier stuff to do though.
dog

Himu

« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2011, 02:05:56 AM »
I think all of the dlc is on the disc. The game is 9 gigs, on a dual layer and every single dlc thing I've dled has been like 300-400kb at most.  What the fuck THQ.

But I think it's a testament of the game's quality that it's so fucking fun despite all of this and that I never really remember its flaws unless I'm actually actively thinking about them.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
THQ is making people pay for cheat codes. PAY FOR CHEAT CODES. smh
dog

Himu

« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:53 AM »
Yeah, fuck THQ. Saints Row and Volition deserves far better than them.
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:28 AM »
I think I'm gonna take it in the shorts and buy the Season Pass. Hopefully it includes all the BS like locked weapons and stuff. Kind of a shame that you can buy a game for full price and still not have all the day 1 content.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »
I think I'm gonna take it in the shorts and buy the Season Pass. Hopefully it includes all the BS like locked weapons and stuff. Kind of a shame that you can buy a game for full price and still not have all the day 1 content.

:bow SKYRIM :bow2
yar

Himu

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2011, 02:41:17 AM »
I'd like to emphasize that despite every thing I've said I still like SR3 more than 2. :P

Just a few things here and there (namely lack of mission replays) and it'd be golden because ultimately, this is the funnest sandbox game I've ever played. It's just FUN.
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2011, 02:42:01 AM »
I think Bethesda will do some more Horse Armor for Skyrim just for the backlash and free publicity.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2011, 02:42:20 AM »
I'd like to emphasize that despite every thing I've said I still like SR3 more than 2. :P

Just a few things here and there (namely lack of mission replays) and it'd be golden because ultimately, this is the funnest sandbox game I've ever played. It's just FUN.

Is it more fun than Just Cause 2?

Himu

« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:02 AM »
Never played Just Cause 2 outside the (very) awesome demo. Been meaning to pick that up. But SR3 co-op is insanity.
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2011, 04:46:44 AM »
awesome, can't wait til friday!

been doing some sleuthing to try and find out if the Shark Gun is included in the season pass. I'll buy both anyhow, but it will be good to know.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2011, 05:28:19 AM »
Man, I just BARELY kept my twitching fingers away from Himumu's SPOILER TAINT. That was a close one.

Drew, shame on you for spoiling the calendar date. That could end up being critical to the main story! :wag (:teehee)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:59 AM »
WHERE IS MY FUCKING PREORDER CODE AMAZON

GENKI IS DISPLEASED

got mine this morning in an email
Tonya

benjipwns

« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2011, 06:47:15 AM »
Amazon is good with the codes, they sent me both at the same time and I've heard people they couldn't they're getting them out to ASAP. Apparently GMG people aren't getting the Genki code at all?

Loving this game, the missions are like 2 stepped up to the next level. The scope they're taking on is like two or three of 2's missions put together at times. It sorta reminds me of when DMA recognized that the best mission of GTA III was that early one where you attack and blow up the ship with 8Ball, and they spent most of the Vice City + time as talking about how that's where they realized just what they could do in a sandbox world in terms of mission scope.

And
HOLY SHIT when STAG rolls in and what that mission seems like in comparison to earlier ones.
[close]

This is probably going to wind up being the first game I get sucked into and beat in less than a week since Arkham Asylum. Even though like then I have tons of real life shit to do. I can totally write about those Supreme Court executive branch employment cases after I beat this right.

Right.

(Counting solo crap that I can remember, Borderlands for example took forever because of co-op to where I just finished it solo, SR2 was similar, going to do this one solo then hit up co-op with friends.)

Himu

« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
The campaign OWNS when you get past the "let's introduce you to these activities" portion of the story. HOLY SHIT.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
i dont see how anyone can say co op is amazing. its fun but not having synchronized radio is terrible and volition prooves they are incompetants once again
USA

Himu

« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
You're honestly bitching about the RADIO when you're a two man army? gtfo
IYKYK

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
DLC cheats?? :rofl

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
himu, methodis is a troll so bad that even sa shuns him. never, ever listen to him. ever.
duc

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
You're honestly bitching about the RADIO when you're a two man army? gtfo

yes volitioon promised tales of great pc performance and being able to play co op with a buddy while murdering cops to SPORTS

neither of whic hare true.
USA

Himu

« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

The best part about this is that random co-op partners don't always join in with cheats like they did with SR2.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: November 16, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »

Even though it's an unforgivable sin, I still bought those. Mainly for the 4X explosions. :(
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »
Level 4 Incendiary SMG rounds and Level 4 Explosive .45 rounds are :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper
IYKYK

drew

• sy
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Drew, shame on you for spoiling the calendar date. That could end up being critical to the main story! :wag (:teehee)

i just thought that it was really odd, i know they thought that nobody would ever look that close, but even then why make it that date? :spin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
http://www.saintsrow.com/news/detail/article/251907/saints_row_japanese_illustrations

(Image removed from quote.)

That's pretty badass. The guy who identified it as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is spot-on. I wonder who will be next!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Art style looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
got in it and started playing. Seems fun early enough but the frame rate is very sketchy unfortunately. (Although not uncomon in these sorts of games). Is there any way to change camera views while in a car?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
gamed for a second just now with himumu, but now it's dinner time.  opening missions are fucking amazing & already better than other HOLLYWOOD GAMING shit, and i cant wait to get back to it so i can poke around and find all the awesome optional content.  i havent even finished making my character!  this is gonna be goty, no doubt.  i think im gonna skip class tomorrow so i can game all afternoon.  oh also, i got an old wireless xbox headset from a friend, but i cant get it to work.  is there something special i need to do with it or is it just busted?  ok enough add rambling, i gotta eat so i can get back to steelport
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »
Does anyone have the Steam version?  If so, does it come w/ the Professor Genki shit?  Might make an impulse purchase...
yar

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
has anyone shelled out for the Shark Gun? I will buy as I have some points siting there :(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »
Does anyone have the Steam version?  If so, does it come w/ the Professor Genki shit?  Might make an impulse purchase...

You only got it if you preordered.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »

You only got it if you preordered.

Fuck.  When will they start selling it otherwise?  You know they will eventually, for fucks sakes.
yar

Himu

« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
this post on sa from a volition dev can explain some of the cutscene direction

I get that you really like the game, so I feel it's only fair to help shed some light on something you likely won't hear anywhere else (unless you go bugging V-Singular on the official forums)

IMO, in terms of the raw resources required to get a game built and out the door, (and Kakesu can chime in if he feels otherwise) SRTT most closely parallels SR1. It's a new engine with all the stuff that comes with wrestling with new technology in a single game cycle. SR2 used the exact same engine and more than less built off the version of Stilwater from SR1.

That in super boiled down terms means that the city of SR2 had about 6 years of development in it.

Without going into too much detail, our cinematics manpower on SRTT was much less than it was on SR2 or SR1. I could go into numbers and I would probably be wrong, but my gut estimate is that we had anywhere from 50-75% fewer cinematics artists on SRTT.

I'm going to leave it as an exercise to the reader to compare exact headcounts between SR2 and SR3, but it's safe to say we did more with less. Because we had to.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »
Himu, when you tried to join my game I didn't mean to reject you.   :lol

Got about 16% of the game completed and six hours of playtime clocked.  Put in UMvC3 for a bit to take a break, but wound up going right back to Saint's again 15 minutes later.  This game is too much fucking fun.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »
Makes sense, pretty much anything that wasn't absolutely necessary for the plot is completely absent.
dog

Robo

« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2011, 01:06:02 AM »
Is there some sort of trick to the insurance fraud activity?  Not sure I fully understand that one.
obo

benjipwns

« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
Go to one of the marked intersections, you get adrenaline which lets you bounce among multiple cars easier. Run and jump into cars that are driving towards you, and try to use the aftersteer to hit other cars before you come down.

You hold the triggers to rag doll.

Robo

« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2011, 01:24:17 AM »
I got that much, but the scoring is strange.  One time I'll bounce off five cars and get ~$20,000; the next time I'll bounce off two and get $40,000+.  I'm not sure what determines the amount of money you get.
obo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »
gamed for a second just now with himumu, but now it's dinner time.  opening missions are fucking amazing & already better than other HOLLYWOOD GAMING shit, and i cant wait to get back to it so i can poke around and find all the awesome optional content.  i havent even finished making my character!  this is gonna be goty, no doubt.  i think im gonna skip class tomorrow so i can game all afternoon.  oh also, i got an old wireless xbox headset from a friend, but i cant get it to work.  is there something special i need to do with it or is it just busted?  ok enough add rambling, i gotta eat so i can get back to steelport

Probably busted, no? I misread it as "wired" when clicking Reply. The wired ones are notorious for breaking when you look at them funny. The wireless ones probably have a pairing mechanism to get it to work with your xbox or controller or something.

Here's a possibly useful link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927346

Himu

« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2011, 01:40:09 AM »
http://deckers.die is AMAZING. Holy shit GAME OF THE YEAR.

Is there some sort of trick to the insurance fraud activity?  Not sure I fully understand that one.

Do a dive roll, press ragdoll at the end of the roll. Do it on a car, try to balance yourself, control your body in mid air.

This is how you play insurance fraud:

Here's one for 2:

Here's one for 3:

IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »
Helicopter snipers are bastards early on
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2011, 02:41:48 AM »
:rofl @ starving artist outfit
itm

Himu

« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
Helicopter snipers are bastards early on

level 4 .45 pistol can waste a helicopter in like 4 bullets :drool
IYKYK

pilonv1

« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2011, 06:16:01 AM »
Found the airport :rock
itm

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2011, 07:56:07 AM »

Probably busted, no? I misread it as "wired" when clicking Reply. The wired ones are notorious for breaking when you look at them funny. The wireless ones probably have a pairing mechanism to get it to work with your xbox or controller or something.

Here's a possibly useful link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927346

thanks man.  looks like i'll have to cough up some real monies to get a quality headset to get the full multiplayer experience  :(
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »
Just get a wired one! I'm sure you can find one uber-cheap on Amazon. The wireless ones are known to be painful if worn for any length of time.

Christ, they're 71¢ on Amazon!

Himu

« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »
game of the fucking year

:bow
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
I played this for 5 hours last night, which is a "holy shit" length gaming session for me these days. I HAVE NOT HAD THIS MUCH FUN WITH A GAME IN YEARS. When I tell people about it at work, I just have this shit-eating grin and starry-eyed look on my face, like I'm waxing eloquent about some amazingly hot chick I banged and can hardly believe my good fortune. The game just CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP. :omg :D :elephant :elephant :elephant
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:37:51 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
Have you played Saints Row 2? Or is Saints 3 the first time you played this.
fat

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
Have you played Saints Row 2? Or is Saints 3 the first time you played this.

I played SR1 but skipped 2 (yeah, I know). I'm sure that's part of my over-the-top LURVE for this game. I just never thought a sandbox game could be, uh, FUN. Rockstar needs to swallow a big mouthful of shotgun as penance for their boring games of stupid badness.
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2011, 01:52:38 PM »
Pierce shines in this game even more than he did in 2. My favorite non-Boss character.

Have no fucking CLUE what they did to Shaundi though. Shaundi SUCKS now wtf but the new characters are great replacements.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
Bought.  18% :rock
yar