Author Topic: Official *Consoles Are For Losers* thread  (Read 339082 times)

Tasty

Re: Next next gen thread of stupid rumors
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
The new XBOX controller came to me in a dream last night. It had two d-pads in addition to two analogue sticks, and you had to press an altogether different button to switch between the two. Don't know what my subconscious was thinking there but at least it beats the Wiimote.

:bow

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
Unless it has 3 HDMI ports, multiple NICs, and 4D..... it's just a mild spec bump.
©ZH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
The new XBOX controller came to me in a dream last night. It had two d-pads in addition to two analogue sticks, and you had to press an altogether different button to switch between the two. Don't know what my subconscious was thinking there but at least it beats the Wiimote.

My most recent game-related dream was a sequel to Mirror's Edge. Instead of being in the slick, Vancouver-crossed with-Ikea setting of the first game, it was running around on environments modeled after 70's brutalism... and the music traded in Solar Fields for Avicii. The latter part I could almost see happening if a sequel to ME ever got greenlit.
^_^

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
I've been thinking about joining the master race in the last few weeks.  I'm about to get hired for a salaried job (hooray) and the first thing I'm buying for myself is a PC.  I'm excited.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
I've been thinking about joining the master race in the last few weeks.  I'm about to get hired for a salaried job (hooray) and the first thing I'm buying for myself is a PC.  I'm excited.

Same. First thing I'm buying is a smartphone, then a decent PC.

All aboard the Dolphin train woo woo. :)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
Seriously.  I wanna be able to play the Galaxies in beautiful HD.

Also, every Valve game ever.
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
I'm going to be a PC only gamer this next generation.  I even got it set up to play on my 60" plasma 3D TV.

I just have no use for consoles at this point.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
i think sony might be doing it moreso because they are butthurt about missing out on all that sweet xbl money

you'll be paying them next gen, hahaha
sup

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2012, 03:08:52 AM »

Same. First thing I'm buying is a smartphone, then a decent PC.

All aboard the Dolphin train woo woo. :)

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG GODDAMMIT
yar

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2012, 03:26:11 AM »
I think that this whole thing will go towards some system wide way to make money from used games.Killing used sales,not a chance,unless they invent some self-destruct disc.They just want money from used games.
cat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm torn between a principled stand of not wanting console manufacturers to pull that sort of bullshit and really, really wanting as many Gamestops as humanly possible to go under.
yar

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2012, 03:52:51 AM »
this fits here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-30-curt-schilling-defends-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-online-pass

The content unlocked by the controversial Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Online Pass is day one DLC, one of its creators has said.

The Online Pass, included in new copies of the open world fantasy RPG, unlocks the House of Valor faction quest, which includes seven individual single player missions. In addition, it unlocks a Mass Effect 3-themed in-game item - the N7-inspired Shepard's Battle Armour.

If you have a second hand copy of the game, you have to pay for the Online Pass to unlock the content.

Now Curt Schilling, head of co-developer 38 Studios, has had his say, explaining that the content is day one DLC, free to anyone who buys a new copy of the game - but, yes, if you buy a pre-owned version you have to pay for the content.

"It's clear the intent right?" Schilling wrote on the Reckoning forum. "To promote early adopters and MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME, REWARD fans and gamers who commit to us with their time and money when it benefits the company.

"Every single person on the planet could wait and not buy Reckoning, the game would hit the bargain bin at some point and you could get it cheaper. 38 Studios would likely go away.

"That's just how business works. We MUST make a profit to become what we want to become. THE ONLY way we do that is to make games you CANNOT WAIT TO BUY! If we do that, and you do that, we want to reward you with some cool free stuff as a thank you."

"The industry is in a very odd place," he said. "The data coming in on used game sales is not saying the things many thought it should, or would. But companies are still trying to figure out how to receive dollars spent on games they make, when they are bought. Is that wrong? if so please tell me how.

"Again, you can argue with methods, or process, and you absolutely can bitch and gripe about ANY DAY 1 DLC you are charged for, because I think I agree with many on that, but we are trying to create something here, product and company wise, and it takes dollars to do that."

next next gen will be fun to watch
cat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »
None of this stuff is working. They're just frontloading sales to the day one, then first week of sales look great and then everything drops off a cliff instead of the gradual decline of yore. People who were going to wait will wait.
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2012, 11:28:29 AM »
None of this stuff is working. They're just frontloading sales to the day one, then first week of sales look great and then everything drops off a cliff instead of the gradual decline of yore. People who were going to wait will wait.

Yes and if those people want that DLC, they'll have to buy it. So they're possibly recouping some money on the used sale instead of not having a chance to. Makes good business sense.

Unless they pick up a copy out of the bargain bin for $5.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
I don't like online passes but then I don't like whiny bitches who always complain about it in every thread when it's standard practice at this point for companies like EA.

It probably makes them a relatively small amount of revenue but that small amount is better than nothing from their perspective.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if rumored 720 AUGS* was incubated and tested on 360 during anti pirate raids.

Last November MS released silent update that made some pirate games unplayable. Apparently every console/game has some unique identifier,consoles that failed the test were flagged for banning,games made unbootable.Pirates managed to defeat that with various firmware updates,but the war is still going.

Update was silent,some small file was updated,no consent was needed and you were fucked weather you had the disc inside or not,one connection to live...boom,games unplayable offline or online

*anti used games system
cat

cool breeze

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »
I don't like online passes but then I don't like whiny bitches who always complain about it in every thread when it's standard practice at this point for companies like EA.

It probably makes them a relatively small amount of revenue but that small amount is better than nothing from their perspective.

yeah, it's something that comes up all the time on gaf and I'm never quite sure what it's all about.  from what I understand, certain content is locked out until you enter a code or buy the DLC.  I don't like that practice but as someone who has played PC games for the longest time and adapted to the Steam/Origin/DD model where the games are permanently locked to your single account.

well, it's pretty bad that all these changes are happening without benefiting the consumer.  That's always been a thing though.  Retailer exclusive content, raising PC game prices to $60, etc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:09:01 PM by Linkzg »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
yeah, it's something that comes up all the time on gaf and I'm never quite sure what it's all about.  from what I understand, certain content is locked out until you enter a code or buy the DLC. 

It depends on the game. In some its "free" DLC like Back to Karkand in BF 3. In others its missions or quests or weapons, ala Mass Effect or Dragon Age. The most recent worst example was probably Batman since they sort of made a big deal about Cat Women and then said really late how it was behind an online pass.

I mean I get the complaints. If you don't hook your console up to the internet you are screwed in some of these situations obviously for single player games. That being said you might as well try to stop the world from spinning. This is the way things are going. Of course this is not the only to do things. The most popular franchise on HD consoles is COD and it doesn't yet have an online pass system and I've always felt having people see you play something on your console is like a free form of advertisement. Sell the game and have actual worthwhile DLC that people want and you will make your money back.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:14:30 PM by Stoney Mason »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19:08 AM »
Forthcoming snowboarding revival SSX ships with an online pass, publisher EA has confirmed.

As detailed by GameInformer, all players will be able to access the game's Explore and Global Events multiplayer modes, however, any in-game credits earned will be withheld until an online pass code is activated.

That code is included in new copies of the game, but those picking the game up second hand will have to fork over $10 for a digital voucher.

"In SSX, players without an Online Pass are able to compete and play in both of SSX's online game modes, Explore and Global Events with no restrictions," explained an EA spokesperson.

"In Global Events, the top finishers from each event are awarded with in-game credits. These in-game credits earned during play will not be awarded to the player if they do not have an Online Pass; these credits will be stored so that at any time, if a player redeems an Online Pass code, all the credits that they had previously earned in Global Events will be immediately awarded to them."

The credits let you unlock new items for your character and participate in special event drops across the two game modes.

EA is sure having fun
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
:lol

That's insidious.

So you don't get player-character unlocks, even for use in the single player game, unless you've also got the Online Pass activated? What about people playing who are not even connecting their machine to The Internetz?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
Too Late!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »

Himu

« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »
I am going to buy SSX new so I don't have this problem. Buy new or go home.
IYKYK

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:11 PM »
Its gonna be a bitch 10 4 years from now when the verification servers are no longer online for this _____-pass bs and a substantial portion of all these games are forever locked out to new players.

I have this novel idea, publishers.  Instead of designing your products as disposable entertainment with no long term replay value (ie, interactive movie-games), focus on ways to make folks want to keep your game instead of trading it in.  Stop bloating your budgets to frivolous levels and then expecting the public to support it at $60 per copy.  No other media offering expects that much from their consumers, and its really no surprise people have had to resort to trade shops to support their hobby.
sad

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2012, 11:04:31 PM »
Adding value is harder than removing it.
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2012, 06:31:44 AM »
Another PGR5 rumor

Sources are whispering to us that Microsoft has already commissioned work on a Project Gotham Racing 5 title. The company is apparently planning to take the wraps off this 5th entry in the franchise at E3 in June.

This is all the more surprising, as the studio best associated with the Project Gotham Racing franchise is Bizarre Creations;  once it was spun off from Microsoft it was shut down by Activision after the first title after PGR (which was called Blur) pretty much tanked. Now, we are hearing that none other than Turn 10 is the studio handling the development of PGR 5. Turn 10, of course, is best known for the Forza franchise.

What also caught our attention is the news that Microsoft might be preparing PGR 5 as a showcase title for the release of the next Xbox, according to sources who claim to be in the know. That PGR 5 would be used to launch the next Xbox console isn’t a stretch, as Microsoft used the PGR 3 as part of the launch titles for the Xbox 360.

We think it is more likely that PGR 5 will be launched as an Xbox 360 exclusive. In addition to PGR 5 we are again starting to hear rumblings that the Codies might be finally ready to announce Grid 2, which means that the release of PGR 5 might have some competition.

Right now, we would take all of this with a gain of salt, but it does seem that something is happening with the PGR franchise.  We are just not sure what that something is yet.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25814-5th-pgr-title-is-said-to-be-likely

new xbox,new PGR
cat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »
Heard this a few months ago, is this a new source?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
New article,source could be the same :lol

There is some similar MCV rumor too,posted few weeks ago.
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
more rumors

First one comes from Paul Thurrott

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-phone-8-preview-142154
Key new features of Windows Phone 8 include:

Data Smart. A way to actively save cellular data when possible and avoid "bill shock". Microsoft (not coincidentally) just blogged about this feature in relation to Windows 8. Re-read that post and think about how a smart phone would need/use exactly the same functionality. Data Smart can be extended by wireless carriers to integrate with their offered data plans.

App-to-App communication. Because Windows Phone 8 apps, like Windows 8 apps, are sandboxed from each other, this new system will provide a Windows 8 contracts-like app-to-app communications capabilities.

Internet Explorer 10 Mobile. Windows Phone 8 will continue to use a highly tuned version of IE which utilizes the latest web technologies.

Shared components with Windows 8. The kernel, multi-core processor support, sensor fusion, security model, network, and video and graphics technologies are all coming to Phone from Windows 8.

Companion experiences with Windows 8. Microsoft is offering a very similar user experience across phone (Windows Phone 8 ), PC (Windows 8 ), and TV (Xbox vNext). Pocketnow says there will be a new sync client, and not Zune PC software, though I can't confirm that part, and a set of common cloud services that will work across all three. This includes the ability to sync content (photos, music, movies) between the three screens, phone management from PC or web, shared content between each device, and Xbox LIVE games, entertainment, and more.

SkyDrive integration. Microsoft will make your content available on all of its platforms via SkyDrive.

Skype app. Still a separate but better app and not integrated into OS. Still optional.

NFC and Wallet. Windows Phone 8 will allow users to securely pay and share via NFC and manage an integrated Wallet experience.

Local Scout. Now with personal recommendations.

Camera improvements. New "lens apps" and a far more powerful camera experience.

Business features. Windows Phone 8 will include full-device, hardware-accelerated encryption with BitLocker and always-on Secure Boot capabilities, just like Windows 8. Also, it will support additional Exchange ActiveSync policies and System Center configuration settings and inventory capabilities. Businesses will be able to distribute phone apps privately as they can with Windows 8 apps.

Second one comes from no name source

http://www.thisisxbox.com/360/will-the-next-gen-xbox-console-be-named-xbox-8/
The hype for a next-generation Xbox console is well and truly hotting up; more-so since the news hit that Microsoft are rolling out production of developer units that feature an Oban chipset manufactured by IBM.

Whilst the next-gen Xbox is commonly known and referred to as an Xbox 720 – it was previously rumoured due to an MS Nerd source as codename ‘Loop’, whilst other sources point to the direction of ‘Xbox Infinity’. Would it shock you so much that Microsoft are pondering over naming the third generation Xbox console, which just so happens to be an eighth generation home console, “XBOX 8″ in line with Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 that will fluently all interconnect with each other.

So, how did we come by this news – well, an employee for a well known combined Publisher and Developer known to thisisxbox.com (who left his employment just a mere few days ago) stated that despite a current mass run of developer units ready to go into production, themselves and other developers of top titles have already received dev units of hardware, but in an alpha non-console form. Also confirming that newer versions of that unit in a non-console form was shown behind closed doors at the recent CES 2012 event by invite only running a fully playable version of Battlefield 3.

Next up, codename ‘Loop’ and codename ‘Infinity’ are meant to relate to services accessible within the online functions of XBOX 8 and not actually be names of the console itself. Infinity is an enhanced form of what we know now as Xbox LIVE, and will be the platform used for future Xbox 8 digital downloads, Windows 8 digital downloads, and Apps for all three systems. Infinity (note not Xbox Infinity) is an online platform that could also be implemented within future TV sets to bring approved apps to the home without the need for an Xbox console attached to the TV.

Xbox Loop is a codename for a service that will bring all current-gen digital stock into a next-gen era on the new console – it is the backwards compatible functions, but since it is likely to launch from within Infinity on the Xbox 8, we will never hear or see it referred to as Loop outside of the developer units unless it is used within the retail version of Windows 8 later this year.
cat

Damian79

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
www.computerandvideogames.com/334510/hirai-sony-must-buckle-down-or-well-be-in-serious-trouble/

Kaz Hirai is set to replace Howard Stringer as CEO and president in April after the close of the company's current financial year. Sony said this week it expects to report a 220 billion yen ($1.8 billion) loss for the 12 month period, which will be the Tokyo-based firm's fourth annual loss in a row, a first since it was listed in 1958.

Hirai, whose first job at the now defunct music joint venture CBS/Sony saw him working as a translator for bands like the Beastie Boys and Journey, told the Wall Street Journal: "I thought turning around the PlayStation business was going to be the toughest challenge of my career, but I guess not. It's one issue after another. I feel like 'Holy shit, now what?'

Hirai said the company "can't just continue to be a great purveyor of hardware products, even though some people expect us to do that." Instead, its 168,000 employees must work to create and deliver the "user experience".

"We really need to buckle down and be realistic," he said. "I don't think everybody is on board, but I think people are coming around to the idea that if we don't turn this around, we could be sitting in some serious trouble."

Looks like Sony's PS4 will be gimped too.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »
hotting up
sup

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »
MS wins next round too? Looks like it.  8)
Hi

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »

This whole next xbox,PS4 will be slightly more powerful mantra sounds like 3DS vs Vita deja vu.

Ninthings--no way that Sony makes something significantly more powerful than 3DS,not at same price,battery life,no way

cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
I think that Sony will make something like Vita at $400 price.Powerful,flexible,slightly modified mass market components,minimum loss(covered by one game).

Nintendo will make nice,small,quiet console capable of outputting pretty pictures into current HD TVs.

MS,dunno but I don't think they just want to drag along.
cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
$399 is the new $299
sup

Trent Dole

« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
$399 is the new $299
Probably, but I bet Sony and MS will launch at higher than that. If Ninty go more than 4 on a system that's essentially on par with the other twos current offerings they're fucking insane. Hell I think the idea of $400 for weeeoooo is absurd but that doesn't mean they won't do it.
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
I don't know, Nintendo got burned pretty badly on the 3DS's initial price tag.
dog

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
Iwata mentioned the need of a Weeooo backup plan.

I don't think he will cut his salary in half again,though.
cat

Damian79

« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »

This whole next xbox,PS4 will be slightly more powerful mantra sounds like 3DS vs Vita deja vu.

Ninthings--no way that Sony makes something significantly more powerful than 3DS,not at same price,battery life,no way

Hmm?  It is not at the same price?  The jump between 3ds and psv is not as big between ds and psp?

Damian79

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

DS

PSP

I knwo the best looking game on the DS is Golden Sun but i dunno which is the best on PSP.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:27:57 PM by Damian79 »

Tasty

« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
PKMN HGSS are the best looking DS games. :)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
oh the lols that will be had if the Weeoo is stronger than the PS4ii

Trent Dole

« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
Man will there be some epic meltdowns if that comes to pass.
Hi

Stoney Mason

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
The systems will each be more powerful than the other probably just based on the release date and the fact that Nintendo is conservative. I firmly believe the PS 4 will be last and that itself gives them a slight potential tech advantage.

Of course for actual sales it doesn't really matter. The masses don't buy a console just because it has some slight minor tech advantage. And the further we go along the less this tech stuff means even to me. The differences between a 720 and a PS 4 in practical terms will be moot. It was just about moot even with a 360 and PS 3 despite what fanboys will have you believe although the best of the system exclusives on the PS 3 look better than the system exclusives on the 360.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »
MCV is still standing behind PS4/720 at E3 rumor
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/now-microsoft-denies-new-hardware-for-e3/090496

MCV reckons the platform holders should make sure they keep their French executives in the loop. As has been widely reported, we still maintain that both platform holders will debut their next-gen plans at E3 in June.

cat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
best lookin' psp game is probably soul calibur broken destiny or kingdom hearts birth by sleep
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:42:34 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »
The systems will each be more powerful than the other probably just based on the release date and the fact that Nintendo is conservative. I firmly believe the PS 4 will be last and that itself gives them a slight potential tech advantage.

Of course for actual sales it doesn't really matter. The masses don't buy a console just because it has some slight minor tech advantage. And the further we go along the less this tech stuff means even to me. The differences between a 720 and a PS 4 in practical terms will be moot. It was just about moot even with a 360 and PS 3 despite what fanboys will have you believe although the best of the system exclusives on the PS 3 look better than the system exclusives on the 360.

Whichever console targets their market most effectively will win; I'm assuming the nextbox and PS4 will be enough on par that games will pretty much look the same in the early years of release, just like this gen. Weeo is a wildcard in that regard..

Both systems will get the CoDs and Maddens, but the 360 proved its exclusives were more enticing to folks than the PS3's, which no one cares about. Who knows who will get the Gears Of War new-thing of next generation

Stoney Mason

« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »
Whichever console targets their market most effectively will win;

It depends on what "win" means.  Sales wise tech generally has nothing to do with sales when it comes to videogames. For the hardcore market it matters slightly more but even then its not the determining factor. All the next gen systems tech wise will be fine. That's not going to stop a million fan boy arguments over minute technical aspects.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
Agreed. Gamers seem less occupied by which shaders look .00005% better between the PS3 and 360 versions of CoD, and more concerned about which version they can play with the most of their friends.

Himu

« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
I'd be fine if next gen wasn't a massive leap in terms of graphics so long as 720p (or even 1028p) and 60 fps are standard. Also, more AA please. And more ram.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUFbzVj00E&feature=related

spoiler (click to show/hide)
laughs
[close]

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-06-volition-dev-next-xbox-not-playing-pre-owned-games-would-be-fantastic

The next Xbox possibly disallowing pre-owned games from being played? That would bea "fantastic change for our business", according to Volition (Saints Row) design director Jameson Durall.

In an article on #AltDevBlogADay, Durall offered ideas on how Microsoft might implement such technology.

"The system is already there for Microsoft," wrote Durall, "all they'd have to do is use the DLC and codes model they have to tie a game to your Xbox live account. Each retail disc would likely need that unique key somewhere in the code so the account would be able to link it properly. Ideally it would tie a full version to the console it is registered on so family members can play even if the main account isn't signed in, but this is exactly how their model works now anyway.

"It does have it's faults that would have to ironed out," he acknowledged, "like game rental. I'm a fan of rental companies because they have to buy copies of the game to be able to rent them out and if someone likes the game, there is a chance they would purchase it for themselves.

"I could see Microsoft implementing their own rental service which would maybe give them a code that activates the game for X days and they are charged a small amount. This could work when you borrow the disc from someone or even with digital download of the full version. It would also send a percentage of the rental to the developer with each rental - likely improving the overall revenue we would receive from it.

"Another issue would be with simply lending the game to a friend," Durall went on, "but maybe they could implement something similar to what Amazon is doing with their Kindle Books lending policy. The license of the game could be transferred for a set time to another Gamertag and the original owner won't be able to play during that time. Seems like it could work."

Through DLC, publishers and developers have found ways to make more money from their games. They've also attempted to monetise pre-owned sales by requiring codes to unlock multiplayer or to enable DLC. First-hand buyers of the game are given this code for free, but those who pick-up the copy second-hand need to purchase a fresh code online.

These methods are "really just a band-aid on a large wound", wrote Durall.

"In the end, I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart," he urged.

"People often don't understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60. They also don't seem to realise how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing. Maybe something as simple as educating them could help solve the problem...

"I know that some will say I'm not considering the retail games stores and the impact something like this would have on them, but remember, they were doing fine well before the used games market became such a staple of their business.

"The truth is, [retail stores] aren't concerned with how this business is affecting us, so why should I care how these changes will affect them?

"Every game I buy is new from Amazon and arrives at my door on or close to release day, shipped free with no tax. The proper revenue also gets to the Developer that created it - how could a retail store ever get more convenient than that?"

Jameson Durall is design director of "Secret Project Y" at Volition, a THQ studio. Volition most recently released Saints Row: The Third, which has been a success for embattled publisher THQ. Volition will now work on announced Guillermo del Toro collaboration InSane, plus Secret Project Y, which we can only assume will be Saints Row 4.
cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
My patience is wearing thin on game devs lecturing me about how I should be spending my money. It's not my fault your production model is broken.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »
watching this blow up in the participating faces is going to be delightful

"Every game I buy is new from Amazon and arrives at my door on or close to release day, shipped free with no tax. The proper revenue also gets to the Developer that created it - how could a retail store ever get more convenient than that?"

gamestop depriving devs of secondary-sale revenue = bad

amazon depriving states of first-sale sales tax revenue = a-ok!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:55:40 AM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
I don't have a problem with DD services not allowing me to resale/lend out/buy used games. I understand that I'm giving up certain rights in exchange for convenience. Not being able to resale/lend out/buy used games in physical format is another matter entirely.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
I just have a fundamental issue with people cheerleading our loss of rights as consumers. Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and never play games but its so assine that some game dev thinks my number one concern should be making sure he's well paid. Fuck you. It's a leisure activity and I get to decide where and how I purchase my games. If you want to fix the system then introduce a model where your budget isn't so crazy high that you need to sell an insane amount of copies to stay afloat.

If your game isn't COD or GTA, or some other mega franchise, you better scale down your budget to match realistic sales expectations.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
i agree about pc dd games, as there are often huge presale discounts and the retail price plummets within a couple of months

but i am getting a kick out of how a lot of people seem to think this kind of stuff is going to lead to steam-like sales and price drops on console games, though

you would think just looking at the shitty "sales" sony and microsoft have held on their downloadable games in the past ought to cure people of that notion, as well as the nutty pricing on their full game downloads

example, halo 3:

xbox marketplace = $29.99

gamestop used = $4.99

take away used games and there's your future, $29.99 for a five year old game

this crash is going to be michael bay spectacular
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:08:15 PM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
The problem is they are using used game sales as the boogey man for their broken pricing system. They have failed to establish variable pricing outside of XBLA/PSN games because of greed. Used games are the pressure outlet for them failing in that regard not to mention it actually feeds into new game sales as people trade things in.

The reality is that there are too many games being made and too many are trying to be sold at $60. That model works for huge franchises like COD and Halo and etc. But it doesn't work elsewhere. It's why steam, and the app store, and free to play and all these other models have come up. Its not the same world it was and that's what they need to be working on addressing for next gen. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:16:48 PM by Stoney Mason »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
"...but but they do run awesome sales, like sometimes dropping the price of The Outfit from $19.99* to $17.89!"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
$4.99 gamestop, $1.39 amazon marketplace :lol
[close]
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
There really does need to be variable pricing on physical releases. I'm fine paying $60 for Skyrim, but that new Rayman 2D sidescroller? Come on.
dog