Author Topic: Official *Consoles Are For Losers* thread  (Read 339097 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: Next next gen thread of stupid rumors
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
There really does need to be variable pricing on physical releases. I'm fine paying $60 for Skyrim, but that new Rayman 2D sidescroller? Come on.

You are absolutely correct but the problem is they've poisoned the well in that regard by making cheap synonymous with garbage quality. When a person sees a low priced new console game they are more likely to ask what's wrong with it instead of saying what a bargain. It shouldn't be that way and they could easily re-educate the public by actually releasing good games at the price point but that requires work so instead they'd rather stick to doing the same thing they've always done.

Look at ESPN 2k5. Amazing game. Amazing price. Low price doesn't have to equal crap if they didn't want it to.

end morning rant session.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
I think this will be something up to publishers to decide, supported by hardware/software api.In any case traditional business model of pricing everything at $60 has to go.
cat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
Wasn't The Outfit bishoptl's game?
^_^

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
yeah, i believe so

i liked it fine, just commenting on the fact that it's a six year old game they're trying to sell for $20 when you can buy it for less than $2 used on disc
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
i like how Durall is like "we make these huge experiences that we put on the shelf for only $60"

"only" $60, he says, like $60 video games aren't one of the most expensive entertainment products a customer can buy

having a fucking coke habit is cheaper

Volition really has no room to talk here, considering how badly Saints Row: The Third was gutted before release.

dog

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
i agree about pc dd games, as there are often huge presale discounts and the retail price plummets within a couple of months

but i am getting a kick out of how a lot of people seem to think this kind of stuff is going to lead to steam-like sales and price drops on console games, though

you would think just looking at the shitty "sales" sony and microsoft have held on their downloadable games in the past ought to cure people of that notion, as well as the nutty pricing on their full game downloads

example, halo 3:

xbox marketplace = $29.99

gamestop used = $4.99

take away used games and there's your future, $29.99 for a five year old game

this crash is going to be michael bay spectacular

I want this to happen because it's the only way the market is going to correct itself. It's sort of happening with smartphones and to a lesser extent with Steam but the traditional businesses still have their heads in the sand with pricing. Gouging your remaining customers isn't a long term solution.
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:19 PM »
I think it's been obvious to everyone for the past 2-3 years that the next generation of consoles will monetize the fuck out of everything.  Hell, I doubt you'll be able to use your own batteries for the wireless controllers: now you'll be using a proprietary battery charge pack.  No free PSN either.

Publishers complaining about used game sales is part of that picture.  I think gaming is going to get very expensive next generation.
🍆🍆

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
and at the same time alternative markets (like phone games and digital download services) will thrive, and console developers will be forced to adapt greatly in order to make a product that is affordable for them to make but also can be sold at a reasonable price. 
pcp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »
The bottom line will eventually force them to adapt. I'm not somebody who uses terms like crash. I think that's a bit hyperbolic and I don't believe the console market will crash. I do believe that competition is very real though. And they can't just ignore competition. People game on so many platforms nowadays that to ignore what's working on other platforms is bad business. It will be a slow painful change. Because they've been doing the same thing for so long and been successful. It takes a real failure to make people evaluate themselves and rethink their approach.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:43:39 PM by Stoney Mason »

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:21 AM »
What is so hard in not charging 60 fucking dollars for a game?  ???

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:00:49 AM by Purple Filth »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
©ZH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
I don't mean crash in the Atari crash sense, which I was around for, and remember - I was too young to know what it really meant, but suddenly there were all these dump bins at Camelot Music and Sears filled with 2600 games slashed down as low as $5, and then my folks bought me a brand-new Intellivision with the voice module and a buttload (like, 6) of games (I later found out they paid around $50 total). I was in heaven for a little bit, then everything dried up for several years, and I moved on to other interests.

I think this will be more of a slow-motion crash, which I find more fascinating. Lots of flailing around for several years in a hubris-fueled self-immolation. All of these newer, more drastic measures (if, indeed, the rumors turn out to be true) are going to hit within the same 2-3 year span as the consoles roll out.  I'm sure that the thought is people will "get used to" things like the permanent locking of games to consoles, or even more restrictive online passes, but I am fairly positive what most folks in the mainstream will "get used to" is buying fewer and fewer games altogether.  The CODs, the Halos, the Gears and Gods of Wars, sure, they'll still be grudgingly purchased at full price.  For a while, anyway.  The Kingdoms of Amalur and other riskier new games will be the first to disappear, because no one outside of our sphere is going to permanently invest $60 in such games.  The result will likely be console games falling back into niche entertainment as the broad genre appeal narrows.

Sony, MS, and Nintendo know they have a symbiotic relationship with stores like Gamestop. They don't want to outright kill them, regardless of all the blustery squawking. They just want another piece of the pie. Only problem is you now own the pie. They'll never come out and say it, but they don't mind Gamestop at all. Gamestop sells new games for them, they're just a scapegoat in this "debate."  If they really thought Gamestop was The Big Bad and wanted them gone, they wouldn't be making deals for online codes to be printed on used game receipts. No, what they really mind is YOU, because YOU'RE the one giving away what's left of the pie after you've had your fill.  The contempt for the consumer is pretty clear to me in all this, although it's being cleverly hidden behind a finger pointing elsewhere (Gamestop).  So they're gonna throw anything they can at the wall to see what sticks, all the while shaking a fist and screaming GAMESTOP, but with full knowledge that you, the real target, are standing in front of the wall.  I don't think the vast majority of people are as dumb or as willing to take it as they seem to think, but we'll see.  Like I said, it'll be a long, slow burn with lots of twists and turns, and I'll enjoy the hell out of it, because I do love the smell of roasting hubris.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:32:01 AM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
I don't mean crash in the Atari crash sense, which I was around for, and remember - I was too young to know what it really meant, but suddenly there were all these dump bins at Camelot Music and Sears filled with 2600 games slashed down as low as $5, and then my folks bought me a brand-new Intellivision with the voice module and a buttload (like, 6) of games (I later found out they paid around $50 total). I was in heaven for a little bit, then everything dried up for several years, and I moved on to other interests.

When I was a kid there use to be a retail chain store called Zayre's that sold 2600 carts for like 99 cents. Shit was awesome.

You are also right about the gamestop stuff. One my biggest pet peeves is dumb ass gamers who can't recognize that what's really going on is that publishers don't want you to have the right to resell your shit. On the scale of evil that is far worse than anything gamestop is doing. Especially since its not like Gamestop is the only game seller out there. You have choice and freedom of where and how to sell your used goods currently. Gamestop isn't a dictatorship. If publishers get what they want, you won't be able to do anything with your used games whether its gamestop or selling or loaning to a friend or over the internet. But instead of talking about that you get 50 gamestop threads a day over at GAF. If publishers want a cut of used sales then negotiate that with Gamestop and Best Buy. Or do day and date digital distribution parity with retail games on consoles. Or offer more sales and create a viable online marketplace outside of just XBLA/PSN stuff. Don't fuck me over.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:39:01 PM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:52 AM »
I actually believe that's not what publishers want. Well, OK, that's what they want, but it's not what they're targeting for retail. They already have that with XBLA/PSN. For retail, they just want Gamestop and everyone else to stop offering this massive, repeat, and rapid turnaround of their product. They'd like if Gamestop wasn't offering the used game to customers as though it were no different. As someone who has had to demand a new copy of a game when used was the only thing on the shelf, and then have the staff try to talk me out of the new purchase, I feel safe in saying that Gamestop is not an honest or fair company.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2012, 07:47:25 AM »
I have no love for Gamestop (a store here once sold me a "new/opened" PC game that already had the key used), but none of the methods publishers have used so far have affected Gamestop in the slightest. Not one. You can even buy online passes at Gamestop, which means they're actually getting a cut out of something that is allegedly designed to stop them. All of this has only cost the end consumer. This new method, if true, would likely be no different.  Any "transfer fee" required to unlock and give/lend/sell physical copies of a game would almost assuredly be offered on a purchasable code card hanging on a Gamestop pegboard.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:51:11 AM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
I honestly think the best solution is the gaming industry working something out with the big retailers like Gamestop so that they won't sell used copies for like 2-4 weeks after the initial release.  Most cases you can go in a day or two later and someone has already traded that fucker in. Something like what movie companies have done with redbox and Netflix.  If their games don't sell in that window then the fact is people aren't willing to pay full price for it.

Something also needs to be done about Gamestop getting such a small slice of the profits.  There was something floating around before that said they only make around 5 bucks off a new game.  That's an impossibly thin profit margin. 

These companies need to work together in this industry instead of constantly finding ways to cut the other guy out. The industry is filled greedy dipshits who have distinguished mentally-challenged business models which creates tons of instability in the industry.  The entire industry needs a financial overhaul.

pilonv1

« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
The USA is lucky there's no competition from retailers on day one pricing.

In Australia it's extremely common for major titles to have their price gutted by 20-25% by some retailers.

Of course that 25% drop in price is still above what people in the USA pay but it's not helping anyone down here outside of consumers.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:38 AM »
Aren't regular shops, like supermarkets and such, in the UK also lately selling blockbuster games at launch at much lower prices than the game specialty shops?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »
Yeah,basically giving them away.

moar rumors

The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too.

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than Wii U's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

On 360 that touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.

this comes from Xbox World magazine,shaky source at best

It would be pretty hilarious if MS did it,that would be the best E3 ever--nothing beats angry ninthings

This would be a nice controller

Epic is strongly hinting at formal UE4 announcement this year
According to Epic Games vice president Mark Rein, The Unreal Engine 4 will be revealed in 2012. We were speaking with Mark about Epic founder Tim Sweeney's contribution to the gaming world, the Unreal Engine, when Rein mentioned we could expect to see more Unreal 4 this year.

"People are going to be shocked later this year when they see Unreal Engine 4 and how much more profound an effect it will have," Rein said.

We expect Epic will be releasing more information on the game engine later today at DICE 2012, so stick around G4TV.com's DICE 2012 coverage.

The DICE summit is currently taking place as awards are being handed out and moments ago Mark Rein took the stage. While talking about Unreal Engine 4 he said that the graphics engine was running on “systems I can’t talk about by name.” This would obviously point to the next generation of consoles being pretty far into development. Let the rumors continue to come out of the woodworks!

UPDATE: The quote was technically “Including systems we can’t name yet.”

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:59:00 AM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2012, 03:21:48 AM »
Epic is playing with big numbers

Hopefully CE4 gets announced too...
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39791/CryEngine-devs-turn-to-next-gen-target-systems

A group of unnamed developers are specifically working on next-generation game projects with CryEngine 3, according to the tech’s vendor Crytek.
CryEngine business executive Carl Jones said studios “are already using CryEngine 3 for games with target platforms significantly higher in power than the current-gen consoles”.
Develop understands that a range of studios are currently building titles for Microsoft’s successor to the Xbox 360. In some cases, dev houses have spent more than a year on various projects.

Several internal Sony studios, meanwhile, have begun early work on PlayStation 4 projects. However there is little evidence that third-party companies have access to the future console.

next xbawks :bow2
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »

Kotaku has heard from multiple sources close to the project that the code-name for Microsoft's next console is Durango.

Yup. Durango.
Note this is a code-name. Like the Katana (Dreamcast), Dolphin (GameCube) and Revolution (Wii) before it, it's not the name that will appear on the finished product when you finally get your hands on one.

It is the name, however, that you'll be hearing during the console's final development phase, that awkward time between it being first shown off and then actually released to the public.

Interestingly, it seems to also suggest a bit of a pattern in Microsoft's recent internal naming policies. While naming projects after places is nothing new, the company seems to be in favour of warmer climates these days; Kinect, before we knew it as Kinect, was called Natal, named for a city in Brazil. Durango, meanwhile, is the name of one of Mexico's 31 states.
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:47 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2012/02/22/sony-has-new-console-in-the-works-amd-building-graphics/

Sony is working on an as-yet-unannounced new gaming console, former AMD employees say, and the processor designer may play a key role in the new product.

AMD’s graphics technology is already used in Microsoft’s XBox 360 console. However, Sony’s PlayStation 3 — introduced in 2006 — relies on graphics technology from Nvidia.AMD declined to comment on the project. Sony Chief Transformation Officer George Bailey also declined to discuss Sony’s new console, or even acknowledge its existence.
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
A new console from Sony?!
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Project name: Last of the Mohicans

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »
Daily news/rumors fix

Mr Charlie from semmiaccurate sez that AMD in PS4 is true,he will spill some beans soon
/cpu is conventional(possibly made by AMD),no cell/Ken :'(
big win for AMD if true

in other news

Epic is pimping GDC Unreal engine demos

Mike Capps @epicactual
Just reviewed all projects and GDC @UnrealEngine demos. I felt like a proud papa. Demo made people gasp, literally.

Eurogamer editor is also pimping some thing
Amazing gaming week with Journey & Vita. But the top, top secret thing I saw t'other day... The internet will go bananas when it's shown.
That is a very annoying tweet, I realise, it's just that I'm SO EXCITED by what I saw. Shouldn't be too long for you to wait.
@ShogunDarius The internet will go bananas at how impressive it is.

Crytek UK has some Weeeooo GDC demo ready--someone from gaf sez so,must be true then
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:23:52 AM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/27/epic-to-preview-unreal-engine-4-at-gdc/
Epic’s announced it’s to preview Unreal Engine 4 at GDC next week to “select licensees, partners and prospective customers.”

:o
cat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
BANANAS!
©@©™

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
cat

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
So we won't see it until E3 or later
dur

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
job ads
Bethesda Game Studios is looking for experienced programmers to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles.

Lionhead needs lead engine programmer
-Ability to write large new engine systems as well as maintain and restructure existing ones

-Knowledge of Unreal Engine.

Knowledge of Direct3D 11 (compute shaders, tessellation etc.). OpenGL 4.x experience also considered.

-Actively follows developments in graphics and engine design research topics, in particular real-time lighting techniques such as real-time global illumination and deferred rendering pipelines

Unreal 4 powered next gen bald dog
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:46:20 PM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
credit goes to gaf

Senior Technical Designer for Crytek,
Enjoying the Durango developers summit in London. So far, great swag and interesting talks.
Omg seeing some CryEngine licensee videos, blowing my mind they'll go public later next week stay tuned!
http://twitter.com/#!/Cry_SeanT/status/174513741046620160

hmmm

edit:
tweet deleted

Naughty Crytek

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:30:15 PM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
 :ninja
his whole twitter account is gone
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
I bet that guy had already been fired.
dog

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5889410/playstation-4-ditching-the-cell-processor-sources-say-which-leads-to-some-wild-theories
The PlayStation 4 will not use Sony's Cell processor nor any possible successor to the vaunted chipset that was introduced to the world through the PlayStation 3, gaming industry sources tell Kotaku.

What we're hearing from sources follow a Forbes rumor last week that chip-maker AMD would make the graphics chip for a PS4, a shift from the PS3's use of a graphics chip from AMD rival Nvidia.

The abandonment of the Cell architecture would thrill the many game developers who have struggled with the complex chipset, but it could also be viewed as the admission of a mistake.
Cell was the pet project of PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi, who dreamed that the chip—a "Power Processing Element" married to eight "Synergistic Processing Elements"—would make the PS3 the most impressive gaming console ever. He spoke of a home equipped with multiple devices that were powered by Cell, all of them linking to each other to increase the computational power driving any of the devices.

sfans are naturally all up in arms,bu bu bu what about my amazing PSN collection,no bc no buy,think about headlines

Last year there was some rumor about AMD getting contract to build next gen CPU for one of console manufacturers and some people were pulled from their current work to help finish the chip for late 2012 release.Chip fits into AMD roadmap.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:50:33 AM by maxy »
cat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:12 AM »
I think firing fucking Kutaragi is already as much of an admission of a mistake as is needed really
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:06 AM »
I think firing fucking Kutaragi is already as much of an admission of a mistake as is needed really

:yupyup

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:02 AM »
what up Chronovizzle
vjj

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
I recently heard from a reputable source that the forthcoming Sony console is "essentially a PC" in terms of its technological make-up and in this sense, an AMD collaboration on the CPU holds many attractions - for the first time since the launch of the original Xbox, we could well be seeing an x86 processor in a console. It may be hard to imagine that the company that brought us the Cell would be embracing PC tech so wholeheartedly, but a look at the make-up of Vita suggests a fundamental shift in the way Sony builds its consoles in the wake of Ken Kutaragi's departure.

It's not about exotic, groundbreaking hardware anymore, it's all about creating the best possible games machine with an enviable set of development tools - and it's an approach that has already yielded results. While PlayStation Vita may lack a stand-out killer app, I still think that it's set the bar in terms of overall quality and quantity over and above any console launch I've seen in over 21 years in the business. Extrapolating that same philosophy towards PlayStation 4 makes a PC-style approach to Sony's next console seem very likely indeed.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-alienware-x51-pc-gaming?page=2

x86 making a return into console waters,hmm

borys?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:02:22 AM by maxy »
cat

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
I wish Apple understood gaming beyond microtransactions
o_0

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
No reason to doubt that.

CELL was the biggest Sony mistake since... well ever.
Just taking the PS3, the GPU and Blu Ray are arguably much bigger mistakes.

Taking Sony overall, tons of shit like Betamax and the failure of walkman is worse.

maxy

• Sales Loser
sfags  :lol

New rumor

Yes, you heard that right, multiple sources have been telling SemiAccurate for some time that AMD won not just the GPU as many are suggesting, but the CPU as well. Sony will almost assuredly use an x86 CPU for the PS4, and after Cell in the PS3, can you really blame them? While this may point to a very Fusion/Llano-like architecture we hear that is only the beginning.

So far, so ‘meh’, but Sony isn’t stopping there, and this is what we didn’t want to believe for so long, Sony is going stacking crazy. The leaks all say that there are multiple additions to the core CPU/GPU chip, and they are not on the same die. Actually, given the steady stream of hints surrounding stacking coming from our Japanese speaking moles, the CPU and GPU could very well be on separate, or even stacked dies too. If you look at console economics, the idea is to make a really big and expensive chip that pushes the bounds of manufacturability. You could make two much less expensive chips that don’t push the boundaries nearly as hard, and end up faster than a single chip competitor like Oban.

For the PS3, Sony put two really big and expensive chips in it, and the core Cell didn’t yield well, didn’t perform as intended, and ended up with a core fused off in order to get to market. 5+ years and several shrinks later, it is easy enough to make, yields very well, and is pretty darn cheap to make. Lose your shirt at first, make it up later, and buy yourself added longevity in the process. That basic formula still works, so the PS4 might be a ‘two chip fusion’ design with the intent to weld the two when the technology allows.

If you do that, you need an interposer, something that Intel has been talking about for a while, and recently shown off parts of too. Luckily, if you know where to look, you will see that AMD is behind, but not by much. Given what they are showing off, the tech will be more than ready by any realistic PS4 ship date. With an interposer, you can do things like stack memory on it, and stack a large number low wattage chips.

One reason we haven’t been talking much about this part is that some of the leaks from credible sources are, well, so far out there that they don’t sound believable. With each new leak, those ‘way out there’ ideas seem more and more likely. Are they pie in the sky dreams, or this Sony laying down the law as to who is king of the console business? Six months ago, we would have leaned towards “put down the crack pipe and step away from the EDA tools”, but now we think Sony is trying to take no prisoners this round.

One of the things that we had heard about the PS4 chip, or should we say PS4 SoC, is that Sony is really keen on the idea of TSVs. The other bit is that they are going to have lots of extras, we have heard about sensors, but that could just be part of the other odd bit, FPGAs. Yeah, there is a lot of weird talk coming out of Sony engineers, and programmable logic, aka an FPGA, is just one of the things. Additional media processing blocks, DSPs, and similar blocks are all part of the concept.
To do all of this, and I do realize how odd it sounds, you would need some monumental memory bandwidth for it not so starve. Sony is known for screwy memory architectures, if you have ever seen PS3 programming documents, you know how much pain a dev has to go through to get bits in the right place at the right time. The PS4 looks to be better in that regard, but far from perfect. Expect stacked memory, and lots of it, all over the aforementioned interposer. I know this sounds crazy, but we have been hearing it for a year plus now, and, well discounted most of it until Paul Demsey got the same story from a Sony CTO.
In the end, it looks like Sony is going to go for the take no prisoners option on the PS4. If you don’t push fab limits that hard, but do push advanced packaging to the limit, you could very well end up with a monster that is simply not manufacturable as a single die. It won’t be cheap, but it will undoubtedly punt a single chip, or a single chip with stacked DRAM, in to the weeds.

Once again, the end result comes down to the age old question of can they make it? On the surface, the answer is yes, but once manufacturing begins, things may not be quite so rosy. The talk from Sony about the PS4 that seemed like so much of a pipe dream last spring seems, well scary realistic right about now. We don’t expect the PS4 before late 2013 best case, 2014 seems much more likely, so things may change a lot before you can buy one.
So in the end, we close with a simple thought, the Playstation 4 is almost undoubtedly an x86 part with AMD graphics too. That is only the very beginning though. If Sony can back up the boasting with real silicon, and the packaging elves can make it in quantity, it should be a game changer, pun intended. Sony is aiming for the moon just like they did for the PS3. Let hope they come closer to the mark this time, game developers could sure use the power.
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/02/sony-playstation-4-will-be-an-x86-cpu-with-an-amd-gpu/

$600 console incoming?
sfags :bow

One thing is for sure,so far every PS4 rumor points out to AMD x86 architecture.The problem is that Intel has a lot to say in that matter,they even threatened AMD with license revoking at one point.In short Sony has to deal with Intel too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:32:27 AM by maxy »
cat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
They should all just use several thousand cyrix processors wired together with tinfoil

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It can double as a hotplate too.
©ZH

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Using Cell for graphics rendering was one of the dumbest ideas ever.  Even a lower end 8800, which would have been available for the PS3's launch, was capable of doing so much more while inducing far less headache for devs. 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Crazy that we'll be seeing 3D die stacking (correct term?) in the PS4. It seems like Sony are really pushing some bleeding edge tech with the PS4 if this is the case. But bleeding edge in a good way (as in a soon to be industry standard instead of unnecessary exotics). Love generational transitions.
:9

maxy

• Sales Loser
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534
MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.

The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.

Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.

Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

me=Nostradamus

I bet you will be able to buy optical drive addon.
cat

Himu

Re: Next next gen thread of stupid rumors;MCV:No disc drive for Next Xbox
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:54 AM »
Allow me to buy a blu ray drive add on and I'm cool.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »
MS response

UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a fuller statement to MCV.

“Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation.”
cat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2012, 05:14:23 AM »
Sounds like a Steambox future

pilonv1

« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:25 AM »
Here's my guess based on this - no disc drive, but will take proprietary SD type cards that will be tied to the console of first use. Everything will have a digital and SD card release at the same time.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Sounds like a Vita to me
vjj

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534
MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.

The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.

Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.

Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

me=Nostradamus

I bet you will be able to buy optical drive addon.
Can you imagine the backwards compatibility meltdowns if this turns out to be true?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
dvd drives are dirt cheap, they might have either a version with one built in (along with other extras), or sell a standalone drive that plugs into a port
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/ecea/

:punch

But seriously, I'm cringing at the thought of NES/SNES games upscaled to the iPad 3's new resolution

Tasty

« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:10 PM »
Sounds like a Vita to me

Indeed, but mostly because I don't buy it'll be SD. It'll be Microsoft proprietary and they'll gouge the hell out of it just like Sony has.

pilonv1

« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »
I said proprietary SD type of card.
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:23 AM »
You would still have DD BC,if the machine is capable of emulating 360.Also nothing is stopping them from releasing blu-ray addon for the people that need it.It can even be wireless.
cat

cool breeze

« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2012, 03:26:11 AM »
an external drive isn't bad for a console.  none in the console would be weird.  Microsoft is all about that home media experience and while 360 has heaps of digital options, dvd/blu-ray still sort of matters.  or maybe microsoft just doesn't want games to be limited by drive read speeds or something.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »
an external drive isn't bad for a console.  none in the console would be weird.  Microsoft is all about that home media experience and while 360 has heaps of digital options, dvd/blu-ray still sort of matters.  or maybe microsoft just doesn't want games to be limited by drive read speeds or something.
Yeah, it's still too early to go entirely discless. Maybe the gen after this upcoming one.
Hi