Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 - We're finally Next-Gen!  (Read 160031 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 - "2077" Refers To The Release Date
« Reply #420 on: June 25, 2020, 05:18:24 PM »
a far cry from the classic blade runner imagery of overpopulated metropolis.

Or from the initial "gameplay" reveal :marimo

Raist

« Reply #421 on: June 25, 2020, 05:34:12 PM »

This reminds me of something... :thinking

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #422 on: June 25, 2020, 06:01:10 PM »
I love how all the cars look like 80's junkers.   :lol

This game feels pitch perfect.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #423 on: June 25, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
I don't think Raist has played recent AAA games if he thinks that's a bullshot. :B

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2020, 07:58:17 PM »
i like how they use the "BD recording implants" idea lifted almost wholesale from Strange Days. kinda skipped through that part, imagine it could be fun actually playing through that, but it really doesn't work as gameplay video 

:snore

funny how the "champion of kibuki" fist fight thing is just one of the weakest witcher side quests transplanted to first person.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:02:43 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #425 on: June 25, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
it feels a lot more fluid than the witcher. when they use super jump to hop up on top of the containers, drop down, switch to wrist blades and decapitate a goon :lawd
◕‿◕

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #426 on: June 25, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »

Himu

« Reply #427 on: June 25, 2020, 08:20:58 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This reminds me of something... :thinking

[close]

The shot you posted is empty and has zero effect flying around. How could you think it's a bullshot?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #428 on: June 25, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »
Does this game have stats and stuff? One problem I had with Witcher 3 is that it's less an rpg and more an rpg lite. I'm all about choice and repercussion when it comes to rpgs and that choice should be surrounded around the build of a character. Doesn't matter whether j or w, SMT and Fallout New Vegas are achieving similar shit with different aims. I'm customizing a character according to my stat preference and choosing how I engage with the world. Stats and numbers play a big part in that. Same with doing builds in Dark Souls.

Snorenado may be right. I hate being forced into a role with The Witcher 3. And you come all these fucking pre-made abilities and spells and shit. Game barely felt like an RPG to me and more like an action-adventure. I want an RPG with depth. Fuck that wrpg "lite" crap. Needs to die. I like what I'm seeing from Cyberpunk.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #429 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
Does this game have stats and stuff? One problem I had with Witcher 3 is that it's less an rpg and more an rpg lite. I'm all about choice and repercussion when it comes to rpgs and that choice should be surrounded around the build of a character. Doesn't matter whether j or w, SMT and Fallout New Vegas are achieving similar shit with different aims. I'm customizing a character according to my stat preference and choosing how I engage with the world. Stats and numbers play a big part in that. Same with doing builds in Dark Souls.

Snorenado may be right. I hate being forced into a role with The Witcher 3. And you come all these fucking pre-made abilities and spells and shit. Game barely felt like an RPG to me and more like an action-adventure. I want an RPG with depth. Fuck that wrpg "lite" crap. Needs to die. I like what I'm seeing from Cyberpunk.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/25/21302413/cyberpunk-2077-preview-character-progression
___

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #430 on: June 25, 2020, 10:18:12 PM »
I'm guessing it'll be on the level of the new Deus Ex games. Some abilities that aid in infiltration/exploration (hacking, heavy lifting, high jump, negating fall damage, etc.), conversation options (reading heartbeats, picking up on details), bespoke world interactions based on some of your abilities and a slew of combat options.

You pick what a playstyle and then expand on it. Straightforward. No numberwang.

edit: pffffffrt, guess I'm gonna read the above story now :lol

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2020, 10:20:30 PM »
Well, for one: The Witcher is based on a property that is about the Witcher (Geralt) going on adventures/killing monsters.

Cyberpunk is based on a Tabletop RPG property. So...

This is the current (Jumpstart/demo kit) RED character sheet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19vziBCSuTb_umoKcELjDuJez0FIGnzbp/view?usp=sharing

This is 2020's:

https://www.scribd.com/document/828455/Cyberpunk-2020-Character-Sheet

Take from that what you will, but there will be a "dumbing down" in terms of skills and stats to make sure the Video Game is able to play beyond "oh you're hired for a job, what are you going to do?" "Nuke Night City." "Wait, what?" "Yeah, my character sheet on creation allows me to call in a nuke." Bullshittery.

Raist

« Reply #432 on: June 26, 2020, 05:04:39 AM »
I don't think Raist has played recent AAA games if he thinks that's a bullshot. :B

:lol

I guess I should have clarified.
It's not the "bullshot" aspect, it's just the overall vibe from that screen. Shiny colours and neon lights. Really awkward looking NPC in a weird pose. Bunch of particles that look more like what you'd see out of welding than firing a gun, etc. Just instantly reminded me of that Red Steel screen :yeshrug

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #433 on: June 26, 2020, 06:26:47 AM »
What are you talking about stupid?! It was super cool.

Looking forward to them showing more, this game from sounds of previews the skill trees are huge, plus gear/weapon rarities etc. When co-op and pvp also come in this game is gonna be such a huge package

:rejoice

Well I expected the stream to be more a showing of different features, not really a in depth tutorial for a Batman Detective Mode... I mean that could be cool while playing the game, but for a stream I thought it was boring.

The rest of the gameplay looks great

I prefer this focused deep dive way of showing how things work, sure not all might be amazing,

but having a good base knowledge going into the game like this will make sure you maximise the fun you can have.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #434 on: June 26, 2020, 09:40:14 AM »

:lol

I guess I should have clarified.
It's not the "bullshot" aspect, it's just the overall vibe from that screen. Shiny colours and neon lights. Really awkward looking NPC in a weird pose. Bunch of particles that look more like what you'd see out of welding than firing a gun, etc. Just instantly reminded me of that Red Steel screen :yeshrug

It's almost as if it's got a cyberpunk motif! :thinking
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #435 on: June 26, 2020, 10:40:22 AM »
I am finally getting hype for this. :hyper

Svejk

« Reply #436 on: June 26, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
They need to release a stand alone character creator to later use in the main game  :noah

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #437 on: June 26, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
Character creator is pointless in an fps

still will spend an hour making mine
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
Character creator is pointless in an fps

still will spend an hour making mine
[close]
Especially when, in your mind, you look like Keanu Reeves anyway.  :neo

Himu

« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »
Well, for one: The Witcher is based on a property that is about the Witcher (Geralt) going on adventures/killing monsters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19vziBCSuTb_umoKcELjDuJez0FIGnzbp/view?usp=sharing

This is 2020's:

Take from that what you will, but there will be a "dumbing down" in terms of skills and stats to make sure the Video Game is able to play beyond "oh you're hired for a job, what are you going to do?" "Nuke Night City." "Wait, what?" "Yeah, my character sheet on creation allows me to call in a nuke." Bullshittery.

Why were people describing Witcher 3 as an RPG then when really it's baby town as far as RPGs go? Then again, people consider mass effect 2 an RPG (:sabu). Witcher 3 is more akin to GTA than a genuine RPG.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #440 on: June 26, 2020, 04:43:39 PM »
Because W3 an ARPG like Zelda?  :yeshrug

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #441 on: June 26, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
A rpg by any other name would play as sweet

thetylerrob

« Reply #442 on: June 26, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
I think you can make Witcher 3 pretty hardcore rpg if you set it to the highest difficulty. You have to search for specific herbs so you can coat your sword with the right chemical to fight different species of monsters and shit.

Himu

« Reply #443 on: June 26, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »
Because W3 an ARPG like Zelda:yeshrug

You're talking the Legend of Zelda franchise? Sans Zelda II?

This gives me reason to give Witcher 3 another chance? With wider context, with the knowledge that Witcher 3 is not an RPG and more comparable to Assassin's Creed or something, it may be more enjoyable. Categorizing it an RPG makes it a laughable game by any perceived standard of the genre. Since wrpg fans seems to really like downgrading the definitions of what an RPG is continuously, I have now noted in my brain to never take what a western person says about RPGs seriously ever again unless noted otherwise. Anime fan status now.

With this knowledge, it's good to see Cyberpunk looks to be an actual RPG. After Witcher 3, I was concerned they'd neuter whatever tabletop elements to appeal to the mindless masses.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #444 on: June 26, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
I think you can make Witcher 3 pretty hardcore rpg if you set it to the highest difficulty. You have to search for specific herbs so you can coat your sword with the right chemical to fight different species of monsters and shit.

I never bothered with that on Death March:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649340280&searchtext=Walked+the+Path

This build will basically help you.

Then it's a matter of Beyblading around monsters while Quen'ing and getting proper gear.

Yes, the potions are useful, but just like the first (and second) one they're utterly pointless if you dodge and spin.

Why were people describing Witcher 3 as an RPG then when really it's baby town as far as RPGs go? Then again, people consider mass effect 2 an RPG (:sabu). Witcher 3 is more akin to GTA than a genuine RPG.

You answered your own question:

People consider ME2 an RPG and that's basically a shoot-bang with "choices" (:teehee How did that go again with ME3? :girlaff ).

The Witcher 1 and 2 were "RPG"s in the sense that you gain EXP, but they were just as light in terms of actual role-playing.

WRPG's are generally very soft unless they're "Computer"/Character RPG (CRPG)'s. Think more Elder Scrolls and the like for modern RPG's than Planescape: Torment or like Disco Elysium.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #445 on: June 26, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/25/21302413/cyberpunk-2077-preview-character-progression
:pika

This game looks and sounds so good
🤴

Himu

« Reply #446 on: June 26, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »

Looks like an actual rpg.
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2020, 07:42:00 PM »

This is 2020's:

you could really get into some extremely complex skill combinations and there is a lot of math going on. witcher 3 is similar to how builds work in diablo. the numbers aren't in your face and you can dial down the difficulty to ignore them and just spam whatever abilities you want, but to survive at the higher levels you need to really consider how abilities stack making sure the numbers add up. i'd argue the rpg system in witcher is more complex than most jrpg's i've played.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2020, 02:35:20 AM »
Watching the b-roll, the empty streets and near empty environments are so jarring to see.
I hope it's just a current build problem, because having Night City look like a mid-pandemic abandoned town completely breaks any immersion.

Like, wtf you go in a supposedly legendary downtown club, and it's emptier than a gas station diner at 3am.

PLS look at Hitman on how to sell a crowd, and nerf some graphics if need be, so far NC looks like ghost town.

Or maybe everybody's home, jacked into the net. :thinking

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2020, 08:14:34 AM »
It's the post Covid 19 / Trump 2nd term world  :vr
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #450 on: July 01, 2020, 04:41:27 AM »
Watching the b-roll, the empty streets and near empty environments are so jarring to see.
I hope it's just a current build problem, because having Night City look like a mid-pandemic abandoned town completely breaks any immersion.

Like, wtf you go in a supposedly legendary downtown club, and it's emptier than a gas station diner at 3am.

PLS look at Hitman on how to sell a crowd, and nerf some graphics if need be, so far NC looks like ghost town.

Or maybe everybody's home, jacked into the net. :thinking

It’s the futchar!

AR goggles means that other people are visually subtracted from the environment for privacy protection unless you have a mutual NDA in place , allowing you to see each other, or are a known felon on parole.

Raist

thetylerrob

« Reply #452 on: July 01, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »
I don't see the point in worrying about population density stuff. You'll be able to tweak that shit on the pc version.

thisismyusername

« Reply #453 on: July 01, 2020, 06:52:33 PM »
I don't see the point in worrying about population density stuff. You'll be able to tweak that shit on the pc version.

:foodcourt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2020, 09:14:07 PM »
b-but- then it's not like a real city its like a game!

thisismyusername

« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2020, 01:13:49 AM »
Honestly, I get it: Their previews had a bunch of people in the world, and then the downgrades to have it fit on consoles hit to where they lost the density.

Thing is: Dead Rising did like 100+ zombies in a mall with pop-in blending/draw distance. Surely Cyberpunk is able to have the cities feel more alive than Knights of the Old Republic 1's "cities". :doge

Coax

« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2020, 02:55:14 AM »
Less NPCs to bump into on the street then shove aside obnoxiously with my super arms since they invaded my personal space :stahp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2020, 04:45:32 AM »
I don't get what's so fun about having a ton of cars/people in your way anyways TBH.

Or having tons of people and most of them aren't actually NPCs;  games that do that it gets old pretty quick. 

It's fun in GTA games of course... SPLAT
What do you mean? They're obviously trying to sell a fantasy here, a Cyberpunk city, classically overpopulated and rife with criminality.
If aesthetics weren't a factor for them, they wouldn't be pushing eye melting graphics as their main selling point.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #458 on: July 02, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »
Just wait for the PS5/SeriesX versions then.
Hi

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »

Getting it on day 1 with a powerful pc

:jeb
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #460 on: July 02, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
They're demoing it on PC right now, i doubt that would make that much of a difference, but as i said: Hopefully it's just an old build thing.  :yeshrug
It'd be weird for Night City to have less people in it than Novigrad.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #461 on: July 02, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
Im glad you guys found something to bitch about already

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #462 on: July 02, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
Population density does matter for world building, which in turn influences gameplay feel. A huge reason I don't enjoy GTA online is.... besides the free roam lobby of players, the game world feels empty and alien. A huge, realistic playground filled with no life.

Let's not forget Fallout 76 and how bewildered people were by zero human NPCs to talk to or give quests, or just to fill space or sell the illusion of the game world.

It's not as simple as lots of NPCs = good, zero NPCs = bad. Breath of the Wild, not so many NPCs makes the world feel pretty mystical. Tons of NPCs in Saint Denis in RDR2 make it feel like a real city, especially in the markets. Witcher 3 has excellent world building, density plays a huge role with that.

OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #463 on: July 02, 2020, 02:35:53 PM »
Im glad you guys found something to bitch about already
Game's gonna be great i'm sure, just something that stuck out.

I don't get what's so fun about having a ton of cars/people in your way anyways TBH.

Or having tons of people and most of them aren't actually NPCs;  games that do that it gets old pretty quick. 

It's fun in GTA games of course... SPLAT
What do you mean? They're obviously trying to sell a fantasy here, a Cyberpunk city, classically overpopulated and rife with criminality.
If aesthetics weren't a factor for them, they wouldn't be pushing eye melting graphics as their main selling point.

I'm just saying that to me doesn't make the game more fun.  I get that it's an aesthetic thing;  but don't see what's more fun about it.

Resources are finite;  more stuff on screen means lower framerate / lower detailed stuff.   What do you actually gain by large crowds gameplay wise?  I think there are games/scenarios where that adds to your experience but for your average RPG I'd say it doesn't.
"fun" is a broad term, mechanically it'll mean little, but selling the sense of immersion into the world is a pretty big deal in a story driven RPG, for me.
Besides, i don't think ray traced reflections or volumetric fog add anything to the gameplay either, there's elements of visual fidelity you could scale back to invest in aspects (like crowds).

Clearly they went for another route, and of course we'll see when the games comes out if it really is a problem or not.
But again, just something that looked weird, since they're selling the world building so much, and everything else looks pretty stellar.

Raist

« Reply #464 on: July 02, 2020, 05:26:13 PM »
Nothing screams "futuristic cyberpunk megalopolis" more than an empty ghost town.

thetylerrob

« Reply #465 on: July 02, 2020, 06:04:53 PM »
I know you guys are bored because you're still talkin about this shyt. I just hope they actually do pull off some chill, serene, cyberpunk bits to go along with the over the top stuff.

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #467 on: July 02, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF9GgrY9c0&t=12m56s

:marimo
Maybe there's more people outside during the day than at night?  :idont
🤴

thisismyusername

« Reply #468 on: July 02, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »
Or maybe that was bullshit CGI. :idont

Either way, there is a noticeable downgrade with the game.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #469 on: July 02, 2020, 08:15:50 PM »

yar

Raist

« Reply #470 on: July 02, 2020, 08:20:23 PM »
C'mon dude the game doesn't look anything like that big gameplay reveal :lol

But I'm sure they'll get there in those couple of months they have left :teehee

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #471 on: July 03, 2020, 07:51:08 AM »
Game is downgraded trash confirmed :rash
(ice)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #472 on: July 03, 2020, 07:56:22 AM »
In case anyone ever wondered why even ahead of like, neo-nazis I would euthanize every single last video game enthusiast well here you go
yar

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #473 on: July 03, 2020, 07:59:54 AM »
Any score above a 2/10 will obviously be bought :trumps
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #474 on: July 03, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
In case anyone ever wondered why even ahead of like, neo-nazis I would euthanize every single last video game enthusiast well here you go
Why the distinction?

thisismyusername

« Reply #475 on: July 03, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF9GgrY9c0&t=12m56s

:marimo

Compared to:

(14-15 seconds in)

You're going to tell me with a straight face the city's density is the same? :comeon That's not to mention the city's cars density and the early E3 build driving around being completely empty (which you could chalk up to "EARLY DEVELOPMENTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" if you wanted a defense)

Like: I'm getting Cyberpunk, I've pre-ordered it, I'm hype: But, you'd have to be blind to not notice the town density being lower than that original E3 reveal Raist posted.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #476 on: July 03, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »
i think cyberpunk 2077's stretch marks are beautiful  :-[

Himu

« Reply #477 on: July 03, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
i think cyberpunk 2077's stretch marks are beautiful  :-[

She also farts. It's okay, sweetie. We all do. No embarrassment.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #478 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:07 AM »
Oh no there's definitely fewer people milling around aimlessly in town, but if that matters to you or you think it will impact gameplay you should be tied to a rock and thrown into the sea and your relatives all murdered so we get your genes out of humanity's pool
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #479 on: July 03, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
Oh no there's definitely fewer people milling around aimlessly in town, but if that matters to you or you think it will impact gameplay you should be tied to a rock and thrown into the sea and your relatives all murdered so we get your genes out of humanity's pool
Maybe you should put down the videogames and invest in a shrink, bro.  :holeup