Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 - We're finally Next-Gen!  (Read 159282 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 - "2077" Refers To The Release Date
« Reply #600 on: September 30, 2020, 03:14:30 PM »
Everyone's getting paid OT which doesn't always happen, it sucks but that's kind of the way it goes when the end of a project approaches. You do service work such as retail etc there's certain prime times where you work a fuck of a lot more. Same as end of your school term you are going harder than normal. :yeshrug

Its the law in Poland so they have to pay

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2020, 05:04:11 AM »
Next gen versions actually do come next spring.

I'm not in game dev anymore but I assume the next gen skus will still have to have some extra work done on them even if its just updated TCR's and such for the new console along with the back end stuff for a new console even if it its basically just the xbox one version with some special case work to handle the next gen consoles it needs to play on. But like I said, I'm not in game dev anymore so I don't know the technical side anymore on how they handle cross gen stuff this go around.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2020, 06:54:59 AM »
From what I was told Xbox and PlayStation both updated most of their systems and infrastructure over the summer for certification and publishing with PlayStation being slightly ahead of Microsoft but Sony making more changes to how everything worked on the PS5.

With regards to hardware, it will indeed take some time to port from the backwards compatibility mode to making use of the new hardware.
It does seem like both made that pretty easy and straightforward to do compared to previous generations at least.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:22 AM »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #604 on: October 01, 2020, 03:46:13 PM »
 :rejoice
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #605 on: October 02, 2020, 03:53:52 AM »
Next gen versions actually do come next spring.

I'm not in game dev anymore but I assume the next gen skus will still have to have some extra work done on them even if its just updated TCR's and such for the new console along with the back end stuff for a new console even if it its basically just the xbox one version with some special case work to handle the next gen consoles it needs to play on. But like I said, I'm not in game dev anymore so I don't know the technical side anymore on how they handle cross gen stuff this go around.

This isn’t the first time their releases have straddled generations. The next GEN versions will likely be very similar, with graphics settings enabled that couldn’t be run on the current generation. Unless they are complete fools, it’s accounted for already in their pipeline.

My issue with crunch is that it is fairly consistently, and I mean consistently, the product of poor planning and bad management.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #606 on: October 03, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
Is crunch period mainly to fix random bugs or to completely rebuild some things because you realized at the last second that the game isn't playable on the target hardware? I think CP2077 already got delayed to fix performance on the current-gen systems.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #607 on: October 04, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »
Everyone's getting paid OT which doesn't always happen, it sucks but that's kind of the way it goes when the end of a project approaches. You do service work such as retail etc there's certain prime times where you work a fuck of a lot more. Same as end of your school term you are going harder than normal. :yeshrug

Its the law in Poland so they have to pay

They have to pay what's official.
There's a variety of ways you can get around it to some extent I'm not familiar with Polish law but there's not much you can do if everyone play the game.
But it's certainly better for employees with the law being there than not. I'm confident they get paid some overtime rather than not at all.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #608 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:26 AM »
Is crunch period mainly to fix random bugs or to completely rebuild some things because you realized at the last second that the game isn't playable on the target hardware? I think CP2077 already got delayed to fix performance on the current-gen systems.

It should be to fix the large back catalog of bugs that tend to build up towards the end of a project but I've definitely seen and been involved in cases where large portions of the gameplay elements are still being worked on. It depends on how well the development process went. The relatively minor bugs are generally ignored for much of the dev process which sometimes can just lead to such a mass amount of bugs towards the end that it can be overwhelming.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #609 on: October 04, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »
cdpr have said the game is "finished" the last couple of times they delayed it and they delays were for optimising and for bugs etc fwiw

whether you believe them or not :trumps
(ice)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #610 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »

Like Stoney said, it's sometimes just a buildup of small stuff that hasn't been addressed during production, because it wasn't a priority. I've noticed that good developers will, when cooking in a kitchen, be doing dishes or putting away unneeded items as they cook. There's a conscientious approach to making sure we're not going to have to deal with an overwhelming shit-ton of stuff after we're "finished."

To stick with the cooking analogy, bad managers will decide they're going to make pizza, then decide it should be foccacia, then calzone, THEN a single, oversized, doughy ravioli.

In actual context, people will continue to add systems or features without fully considering what kind of knock-on affect it will have on the game. The 2012 Tomb Raider reboot waste a man-month while in its final approach to completion on adding burnt textures to animal carcasses in case they were killed with flaming arrows. There was no texture memory left for it, there were no artists to work on it, there was no place to handle that flag in memory. Wasted. Fucking. Time. That's not polish, that's idiocy.

Svejk

« Reply #611 on: October 05, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Gone gold! 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #612 on: October 06, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
The day one patch will be massive.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #613 on: October 06, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »
"Gone Gold" at this point means "yes we are going to release the game, no matter what state it is in on the date we scheduled!"

I hope it's solid but I think I'm gonna wait to play Cyberpunk at least a month.

As long as it means games coming out next month bitches :success

Who fucking cares :trumps
(ice)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #614 on: October 06, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »
will happily pay to beta test this in november :p

◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #615 on: October 12, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
I've been contemplating whether to wait for the next gen patch/release next year, assuming that playing the PS4 version on PS5 would just boost load times.   However, it seems there will be more than that...
On the subject of Cyberpunk 2077 being playable on PS5 and Xbox Series X, the company said that the current-gen game will be playable on those consoles at launch with a next-gen patch that adds some improvements based on the horsepower of those consoles. "It will look better on next-generation consoles," the company said. However, a "more robust update" will come later.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077s-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-versions-wil/1100-6478751/

Supposedly it should have better LOD and possibly unlocked framerate too, on top of more dynamic res... Wish they'd give as more detailed notes on that patch.
I guess Demon's Souls will have to wait then.  Waited long enough for this game anyhow.  :doggy

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #616 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
def waiting for the patch next year. There is plenty to play until then.

Imagine how many poor souls will be playing this on Xbox One or base PS4.

:goty

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #617 on: October 12, 2020, 02:17:16 PM »
I'll be playing it on my pc and I'm still confident my 1080ti can do a pretty, pretty, pretty good jorb of running it, so I'll be day 1'ing this shit
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: October 15, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
dog

Svejk

« Reply #619 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
Finally watched Episode 4..  Holy fuck.. this game, brehs.  This game is going to chew up GTA and shit it out when it comes to open world/city experience.... Not that I've played a GTA since Vice City.  :doge

Coax

« Reply #620 on: October 16, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
I like how CDPR were just a few months ago saying most testers were controlling it like GTA and the devs seemed eager to temper the comparison, explaining there's more nuance. Now they release a trailer brazenly featuring running over pedestrians, similarly jacking cars and generally presenting carefree vehicle gameplay akin to GTA  :lol

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #621 on: October 16, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »
Finally watched Episode 4..  Holy fuck.. this game, brehs.  This game is going to chew up GTA and shit it out when it comes to open world/city experience.... Not that I've played a GTA since Vice City.  :doge

I would genuinely hope that a 2020 game thats been worked on since 2015 would be better in most aspects than a last gen 2013 game, lol.
OH!

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #622 on: October 16, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyberpunk-2077-twitter-account-promotes-cis-cosplayer-that-is-fetishizing-the-trans-experience.307021/

Ehhhhhh. Seems like CDPR are kind of tone-deaf about how gender can be a sensitive thing. I mean, I'm in the middle of a Nier:Automata playthrough so I can't claim to avoid all problematic media but I just wish they'd admit that some artistic decisions were dumb.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #623 on: October 16, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »
Mad at cosplayers? Mad at CDPR? Must be the latest REEE thread!
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #624 on: October 16, 2020, 10:47:45 PM »
looooooooool get reeeeeeeeee shit outta here

(I mean yes former soviet bloc yuropeens are probably not the most woke but whatever)
yar

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #625 on: October 16, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »
I just linked it because I'm too lazy to write a summary of the issue, please just try to focus on the politics of stuffing an RGB dildo down your leotard-thong.

I could believe that they (CDPR) are just unaware of how it could look bad/fetishistic due to their lack of exposure to conversations that happen on trans issues, but maybe I'm an idiot? If you think that I am not an idiot, but in fact very smart, then maybe this is overblown.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #626 on: October 17, 2020, 01:39:06 AM »
Man it's probably good they wouldn't let me in on my current email since I would've just ended up account suiciding by telling them what a bunch of fucking idiots they all are. :lol
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #627 on: October 17, 2020, 04:51:25 AM »
How is Nier or Cyberpunk problematic?
It's just fiction  :idont

In Nier you play as a discarded japanese sex robot
Oops spoilers
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #628 on: October 17, 2020, 06:36:54 AM »
This game looks so good  :aah

🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: October 17, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
These reee threads about how transphobic cdpr is is getting ridiculous
What

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #630 on: October 17, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
These reee threads about how transphobic cdpr is is getting ridiculous

Yes
yar

mormapope

« Reply #631 on: October 17, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »
Ive been very critical of Cyberpunk and apprehensive of getting hyped, but I'm starting to get excited about playing a high budget RPG that won't be completely botched.

I also realized Deus Ex is probably never coming back and this will be the closest game to capturing those feelings.

:fbm

OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #632 on: October 17, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
I have a feeling that Deus Ex will come back once they see the sales of this.

Same with MS pushing Perfect Dark next and EA with Mass Effect.
This industry is very simplistic in that sense.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #633 on: October 17, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »
All of those games are at the mercy of studios that don't give a shit about actually making good games, tho, so they're all likely to suck
yar

naff

« Reply #634 on: October 18, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
How is Nier or Cyberpunk problematic?
It's just fiction  :idont

Oops spoilers

and you're just an idiot.

why do y'all care about some kids on the internet offended by a big studios bigotry?
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #635 on: October 19, 2020, 02:58:58 AM »
def waiting for the patch next year. There is plenty to play until then.

Imagine how many poor souls will be playing this on Xbox One or base PS4.

:goty

playing with lower fidelity > waiting another 6 months or more and a chance of getting spoilers

imho

Supposedly it should have better LOD and possibly unlocked framerate too, on top of more dynamic res... Wish they'd give as more detailed notes on that patch.
I guess Demon's Souls will have to wait then.  Waited long enough for this game anyhow.  :doggy

Out of the box on PS5 and Xbox? That would be great.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #636 on: October 19, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
Here's what I don't get.

In CP a point is reached whereby you have openly trans people in ads. So you'd think this would be the logical end point of this being seen as normal and part of everyday life.

So what's the problem exactly? And how is it fetishism?

Or is it just another spin on the issue where people want more representation for minorities in media but then lose their shit when said characters get killed etc?

Maybe I'm just missing something.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #637 on: October 19, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
because it might win game of the year awards over the last of us 2 :lol
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #638 on: October 19, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »

Out of the box on PS5 and Xbox? That would be great.
Supposedly it's part of the Day 1 patch.

thetylerrob

« Reply #639 on: October 19, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
Here's what I don't get.

In CP a point is reached whereby you have openly trans people in ads. So you'd think this would be the logical end point of this being seen as normal and part of everyday life.

Or is it just another spin on the issue where people want more representation for minorities in media but then lose their shit when said characters get killed etc?

Maybe I'm just missing something.
The argument that the ad is offensive doesn't make sense to you because it's one of those dreaded bad faith arguments. In the cyberpunk setting body modification is so normalized that having titties and a hog is just a way to mix up your sex life, not a big life choice. There is no reason to think the girl in the ad is trans. The game probably doesn't even touch on trans issues at all because they will get shit for it either way.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #640 on: October 19, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
and because they're polish, therefore mega bigots
(ice)

BisMarckie

« Reply #641 on: October 19, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »
Mega bigots :nope

Mega bigos :mouf

naff

« Reply #642 on: October 19, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »

eh, it's intentionally fetishistic.... it's meant to be a "statement" about corporate sexualization, but they thwart the statement themselves.

imo, it's understandably offensive, it's playing into porn derived, dehumanizing stereotypes of trans people "shemales, traps etc". it sells the dystopia, but it's also making fun of and reinforcing negative stereotypes around one of the most marginalised and exploited groups on the planet. it also seems to insinuate that "mixing it up" is undesirable saying "poison, do not drink" on the drinks cabinet that's being advertised by the person. they then said "it's meant to be a statement against corporate exploitation" then awarded best cosplay to a hot cis woman with a glow in the dark dildo down her pants 

:esports 

The argument that the ad is offensive doesn't make sense to you because it's one of those dreaded bad faith arguments. In the cyberpunk setting body modification is so normalized that having titties and a hog is just a way to mix up your sex life, not a big life choice. There is no reason to think the girl in the ad is trans. The game probably doesn't even touch on trans issues at all because they will get shit for it either way.

riight, so they're just a chick with a dick eh? doesn't sound like dumb bro shit at all.

eh, cindi raised this a while ago and i don't know what her take on it is anymore. it's not like anyone's saying the game is inherently shit, but imo, it's a pretty reasonable thing to be offended by and it's sad to see shitty takes here like "it's fiction, how can it be offensive"  :derp  :brain
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:41:27 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #643 on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »

:neo
🤴

thetylerrob

« Reply #644 on: October 19, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

riight, so they're just a chick with a dick eh? doesn't sound like dumb bro shit at all.
Yes they're a chick with a dick, because it's a cyberpunk world where having a robodick is as trivial as mixing flavors of drinks, that is the context of the game world. Gender and sex are not the same thing.

imo, it's understandably offensive, it's playing into porn derived, dehumanizing stereotypes of trans people "shemales, traps etc". it sells the dystopia, but it's also making fun of and reinforcing negative stereotypes around one of the most marginalised and exploited groups on the planet. it also seems to insinuate that "mixing it up" is undesirable saying "poison, do not drink" on the drinks cabinet that's being advertised by the person. they then said "it's meant to be a statement against corporate exploitation" then awarded best cosplay to a hot cis woman with a glow in the dark dildo down her pants

You don't see how you're interpreting things in the least charitable way to skew it as offensive? Despite all the times the developers have said they support LGBTQ issues? The "Poison do not drink" label is literally a decoration at a trade show booth and isn't in the game.

naff

« Reply #645 on: October 19, 2020, 07:51:05 PM »
jokes like "did you just assume my gender" and voice pitch being tied to gender reinforce the uncharitable reading but go off.

im just saying the offense is understandable and imo, just dismissing it as "that's cyberpunk, you can mix gender like you mix drinks" is missing the point.
◕‿◕

thetylerrob

« Reply #646 on: October 19, 2020, 08:42:23 PM »
And I think writing the game off as transphobic for those reasons despite all the times the developers have insisted that they want to be inclusive is dumb. But I don't think many people are actually doing that.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #647 on: October 19, 2020, 09:07:16 PM »
naff said it all pretty well, some of the mechanics of how cyber-modification of sex functions in the game mirrors some of the fetishistic and demeaning portrayals of trans people in modern day. Which makes it complicated when you get into the whole thing about how it takes place 50 years in the future and maybe "old-fashioned" bigotry is just used as a joke in everyday ads. But there are some things that are just dumb/oblivious like your sex being determined by which voice pitch you choose.

I think at the end of the day, you have a Polish studio trying to be woke and cutting edge by imagining what the future for the trans community looks like, but probably they didn't actually consult anyone in that community. I think that's called a powder keg.

naff

« Reply #648 on: October 19, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »
And I think writing the game off as transphobic for those reasons despite all the times the developers have insisted that they want to be inclusive is dumb. But I don't think many people are actually doing that.

I don't think people put much thought into it, or will ever come across discussion of it. The people talking about this prob represent less than .1% of the consumer base, and this is the only piece outside forums i've read abt it

https://www.thegamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-voice-gender-pronouns
◕‿◕

mormapope

« Reply #649 on: October 19, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »
I genuinely don't think or get vibes that there will be any meaningful commentary on social constructs or issues in Cyberpunk. So far the most GTA thing about Cyberpunk is it's writing. Instead of being written by Brits that view Western Society with a scrutinizing lens, its Polish people....doing something else lol.
OH!

El Babua

« Reply #650 on: October 19, 2020, 10:02:56 PM »
I genuinely don't think or get vibes that there will be any meaningful commentary on social constructs or issues in Cyberpunk. So far the most GTA thing about Cyberpunk is it's writing. Instead of being written by Brits that view Western Society with a scrutinizing lens, its Polish people....doing something else lol.

Agreed, though all GTA (and Rockstar) scripts are written mainly by two coked out NY frat bros, not brits.

I'm hoping the talent that wrote Hearts of Stone is somewhere still in there lol

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #651 on: October 19, 2020, 11:21:00 PM »
Oops spoilers
fact check they're violence robots with this pleasure centres of their brains hotwired from sex to violence

Yulwei

« Reply #652 on: October 19, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »
Waiting until the GOTY/Definite Edition is out before I play this just like I did with TW3.

Hopefully my i5 9600k and 2080 Super will be enough. Looking at some of those recent gameplay vids has me kinda nervous about system reqs :beli :whew

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #653 on: October 19, 2020, 11:43:47 PM »
Im glad after "no black people in witcher" you people found something new to cry about.

remy

« Reply #654 on: October 20, 2020, 12:08:08 AM »
"you people"

naff

« Reply #655 on: October 20, 2020, 12:09:31 AM »
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #656 on: October 20, 2020, 12:52:44 AM »
Can't say guys, can't say girls, can't say people.

No pleasing this crowd.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: October 20, 2020, 03:08:05 AM »
Hey thanks for the Nier Automata spoilers you fuckwads
What

remy

« Reply #658 on: October 20, 2020, 03:33:20 AM »
You only know what i posted if you do the world's most vapid arena combat sidequest. Not a spoiler.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: October 20, 2020, 07:46:02 AM »
You only know what i posted if you do the world's most vapid arena combat sidequest. Not a spoiler.

Well Nintex then
What