Author Topic: 3DS XL Announced  (Read 35463 times)

Takao

Re: 3DS XL Announced
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
Can you imagine the analog nub addon for the PSP 1000? That shit would be Lynxx size.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
Why the hell is dual analog up on some pedestal anyway.  The obsession is weird.
sad

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
There was nothing stopping them from releasing some Frankenstick cradle.
Wouldnt have worked, not just wouldn't it have fitted anywhere I dont believe the psp even has an expansion port capable of delivering what is needed without some weird control delay

IR latency = 1ms
PSP control latency is ~1ms
PSP USB 2.0 latency is ~5 ms

Best solution for the PSP was a revision, but sony fucked that up.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:38:16 PM by Momo »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »
Oh wait, I just looked at my psp out of curiosity, this thing has an IR port? The fuck is it used for? :lol

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »
1 ms second latency?

That is nothing,best PS360(30 fps) games have like 100ms latency(without TV).
cat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
Just talking how long it takes the board to register a button press, nothing to do with when it actually appears on the screen. PS3 is around 40ms, XBOX I have no idea what standard they use for their joypads. I dunno, i'm thinking about this from a code perspective because it is interesting (i've never coded something with multiple input timings) my first reaction would be to build in an artificial lag into the button presses so it doesn't register the sequence of inputs wrong, seeing as the PS3 in particular does 40ms fine, i dont see an issue. Human reaction time is what 15ms average right? So I'm probably over thinking a really dumb thing haha

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

So?  When the 3DS came out, no other handhelds had a second stick either.

Times change...this is the kind of control set-up that one would expect in 2011.  Mobile touch screen devices using the on-screen "dual stick" layout were also out.

Doesn't meant it wasn't both obviously useful and stupid to leave out.  The PSP had tons of games that were basically conceived as "let's do a PS2 game, but handheld!", so it immediately and sorely stuck out there, almost as immediately as the lack of analog stuck out with Mario 64 being a launch title on the DS. 

The lack of an analog stick on the DS was ridiculous as well.  Nintendo always seems to stay one step behind Sony in this regard.

You can give them a pass on the original model, because if nothing else, Sony has demonstrated they are probably the biggest fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellows of all the first parties after SEGA bowed out, but even by the time the 2000 came around, there was loud criticism about it, and games (even their own) suffering for its omission.  By the time the PSP Go arrived with a damn spot for the second analog nub RIGHT THERE, it was clear Sony was deliberately sitting on it to use as a selling point for what would become the Vita.

I don't see how any sane individual can suggest it was better to have no second analog stick at all than a stupid add-on that nevertheless works.

Absolutely.
ど助平

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »
Times change...this is the kind of control set-up that one would expect in 2011.  Mobile touch screen devices using the on-screen "dual stick" layout were also out.

That is not a good excuse,people were moaning for second analog since the day of PSP release.Sony had good 5-6 years to correct that and they failed.

And since when dual analog invention has become some 2011 thing?

It's kinda pointless to debate about this now,but still
cat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »
but then where would i rest my doritos?
Hmm, this is a valid concern.
Hi

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
Doritos issue :
Just get a plectrum holder and stick it down the side of the 3DS

Part of this whole sequence of bullshittery stems back to the Iwata/Capcom/reason for CPP

"They came to us right after MH3rd P shipped"
"They wanted to put MH3G on 3DS"
"we wanted to make the ultimate MH machine so we have made the CPP"

If it was such a big deal for them to release a panic add on then surely in designing the XL this might have come up given MH4 is going to be the biggest game in Japan in the next 2 years?

I suspect it's more to do with not confusing the userbase and all that and, to be perfectly honest, i don't really give a shit about the second stick on the 3DS XL because if there's one thing that's completely apparent is that the games i'm playing/enjoying on the 3DS simply don't need it and for FPS etc it looks like the Vita will get , um, a couple before it gets shi/bi'ed

If Nintendo did release a MH edition 3DS XL with the second CP on it for MH4? I'd laugh at how huge their balls are. One wheelbarrow per knacker for Iwata. Rename to Iknackers
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:05:26 PM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

Takao

« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:54 AM »
Oh man, I remember Sakurai's Kutaragi-esque quote about why they didn't support the two analog stick thing.  :lol

Oh wait, I just looked at my psp out of curiosity, this thing has an IR port? The fuck is it used for? :lol

Nothing, which is why it was removed in all future revisions.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:15 AM »
cat

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2012, 03:23:23 AM »
That ground is PSP-textures level of ass. The rest looks nice, and got a nice bump in the color saturation department. I bet it was a requirement to pass Ninty's whimsical approval process.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:37:09 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »
.... this straight up looks like a PSP port

O=X

Takao

« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »
I think the character models and the draw distance are nice, but the ground is laughably bad.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2012, 04:59:08 AM »
I'm going to have to relearn the claw :yuck

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »

if they use the control scheme like 3G you can actually use a section of the bottom screen to deal with the camera (it basically has a virtual version of the dpad that you can move around).

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
Hi