Author Topic: GTAV - first person mode in pc/ps4/xb1 :o  (Read 165092 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: GTAV
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »
Meh. The article is lame outside of mentioning the three main characters and the switching on the fly stuff.

cool breeze

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
Most interesting bit was how you can switch between roles during missions.  An example was playing as the guy holding the hostage, having a shoot out with pistols (I'm assuming), or jumping to the sniper and taking them out that way.  The other was piloting the helicopter, or sniping from it, or using the machine gun.

Reminds me of the console Battlefield game before Bad Company (Modern Combat).  The single player there was same as 1942/Vietnam/2 (skirmishes against bots) but you could jump to any role on the battlefield and that made it sorta interesting.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
re: driving + improved physics from Sam Houser

"It feels more like a racing game, there are not a lot of high level racing games out there at the moment, ..."

:derp

edit: another Trevor? What is it with Trevors this year in games?
itm

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
OMG @ world size, RDR+GTA4+San Andreas combined WHAT

At that level of density? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Stoney Mason

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
re: driving + improved physics from Sam Houser

"It feels more like a racing game, there are not a lot of high level racing games out there at the moment, ..."

:derp

edit: another Trevor? What is it with Trevors this year in games?

That's what I mean when I say the article was meh. It was just full of vagaries. What does that racing quote even mean?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »

Well, it's Los Santos, which is LA, but they've also included their California's Central Valley analog, so it's a big open series of flat fields and Highway 5 going on forever, with nothing in it.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
And Fresno.
[close]

G The Resurrected

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
And Fresno.
[close]

That means I must be in the game. Fucking fresno, please tell me they didn't change the name cause that would be perfect.

NOW WITH METH HEADS!!!

cool breeze

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »

They're using loopy logic to determine that.  Interiors, underwater, the airspace (i.e., THE SKY), etc. are counted in that.  That sounds better than sheer sq mileage, imo.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2012, 02:30:39 AM »
And Fresno.
[close]

That means I must be in the game. Fucking fresno, please tell me they didn't change the name cause that would be perfect.

NOW WITH METH HEADS!!!

Holy crap, if not Fresno, it DOES look like Bakersfield or Pearblossom will be represented; first paragraph:

http://i.imgur.com/hQVsg.jpg

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2012, 04:25:53 AM »
Despite being a resident Rockstar defender in the past, I'm actually apathetic after that article. Maybe I was expecting more of an exposé, but they were very light on any gameplay details. Not a single mention of the wanted system. I guess it's typical of Rockstar to keep that stuff secret, but I remember IV's cover story talking a lot more about the mechanics.

The three character thing sounds neat though, and it looks like none of them are gonna be the type to lament their criminal life.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
The article is typical of games' journalism: they were given a tour by a QA guy driving the experience to show it off optimally, and they're quoting the company line about new features. All I see about 3 characters is they're taking the storytelling of the GTA IV + DLC and integrating it into its initial package.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »
Some new screens(720p),Dutch website
http://www.gamer.nl/preview/402934/grand-theft-auto-v

Demo shown to GI and other journalists was running on PS3,so i guess these are PS3 screens.
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2012, 05:50:45 AM »
This is a pretty decent pixel counting material.

Next gen please
cat

pilonv1

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2012, 05:57:24 AM »
LOL FIB

GET IT
itm

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »
are there licensed vehicles in this? the last 2 screens look just like an aston martin and a porsche down the car badges

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
They've not used licensed vehicles in GTA, ever, AFAIK. They haven't used them since GTA3, I can say with certainty. They always have about 10% difference from existing cars. There was a very, very close beast to a Subaru STi in GTA IV, and of course the Patriot is a straight-faced grab of the Hummer.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »
yeah iirc even the 2d gta games had their own made up car brands but i don't remember even the car badges being so blatantly aped 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »
yeah iirc even the 2d gta games had their own made up car brands but i don't remember even the car badges being so blatantly aped 

Nah, GTAIV did the same thing.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:58 AM »
Himu :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
Its really hard to get excited since it looks like every other GTA game, they really need to change some stuff like shooting and no fucking phonecalls, instant restarts of missions etc.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »
instant restarts of missions

The lack of this has pretty much ensured me never finishing any GTA game (except for 4). I just get so fucking frustrated when some random occurrence fucks me 15 minutes into a 20-minute mission and I can't restart.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
Except that games in the early 90's were 2/3 hours long max if you didnt die. They were made around being hard and being replayed to finish.

Gta story is like a solid what, 15 hours? If you nees to go back and redo stuff thats too much.

pilonv1

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
GTA V the thread, starring Borys as "Himuro"
itm

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
graphics  :-X
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »

Yeah? Honestly, I'm remembering some screenshots for GTA IV which looked too good to be true, and... turned out to be too good to be true.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:11 PM »
Well, it's certainly not going to have that kind of AA on consoles, that's for sure.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
I can pretty much believe they've solved the draw distance stuff, through smarter LoD, lighting-specific fogging techniques, and other magic tricks, and I do believe those are in-engine shots; I just don't buy that it's something the console versions will do.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2012, 02:46:59 AM »

cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:39 AM »
Guardian has a pretty nice interview

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/nov/12/grand-theft-auto-v-preview-gta-5

Importantly, the whole map is open from the start. Players can take a chopper and fly out over the hills, parachuting down onto the peak of Mount Chiliad. They can jet-ski, mountain bike, play golf, exercise. They don't have to, they just can.

Driving around the intricately detailed streets, we spot tributes to landmarks like Muscle beach and the Hollywood sign, we see mime artists and weirdos patrolling the pavements, there's a guy dressed as Jesus – that guy is really out there in Santa Monica, posing for photos with tourists. There are dodgy fast food joints with names like The Lucky Plucker, there are juice bars and boutiques. The sense of place is incredible; a sort of skewed, woozy take on the real thing. Los Angeles. Los Santos. The two are inextricably linked, but it is LA that the game is really thinking about.

"Since 2008, we've been going out there for for a week or two at a time with different groups from the team," says Houser. "Our researchers did an incredible job of finding us some of the strangest people – retired cops, people with a knowledge of the LA underworld – and we'd hang out with them ... just to see what happened. Whatever skill we have is in taking all of that stuff and amalgamating it into something that feels cohesive. There can't be any particular science to that – the interpretation of the world is our skill, that's where the art is. There's enormous pleasure in wandering about in LA with people who've done crazy things".

Michael is the one doing the smash and grab, while Trevor pilots the helicopter and Franklin lurks on a nearby rooftop with a sniper rifle, picking off enemy targets. Again, you can keep swapping between them, grabbing different aspects of the action, or you can stick with one protagonist, concentrating on your own key skills.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:38:02 AM by maxy »
cat

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »
someone on gaf said they're from the ps3 version

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
BULLSHOTS
LOTS AND LOTS OF GIANT BULLSHOTS
FUCK OFF WITH YOUR SHITTY GTA SHIT ROCKSTAR YOU ARE SAINTS ROW'S BITCH
FUCKING MAKE BULLY FUCKING TWO GODFUCKINGDAMNIT AND STOP WITH THIS UTTER SHIT
 :maf :maf :maf
Hi

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »
I hope they actually have real side missions this time involving businesses. When I played GTAIV I just smashed through the story then put it down, game was ok but pretty terrible as a GTA game. Sure recreating NYC is cool, but it's kinda pointless after a few hours if it's just a static backdrop. V needs a shitload of businesses and ways to build them up, gangwars etc. SHIT TO DO. Don't give a F about square mileage if there ain't shit to do except look at the pretty sights and mow down pedestrians
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:24:58 PM by quietID »
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2012, 11:44:23 PM »
BULLSHOTS
LOTS AND LOTS OF GIANT BULLSHOTS
FUCK OFF WITH YOUR SHITTY GTA SHIT ROCKSTAR YOU ARE SAINTS ROW'S BITCH
FUCKING MAKE BULLY FUCKING TWO GODFUCKINGDAMNIT AND STOP WITH THIS UTTER SHIT
 :maf :maf :maf

This post was so bad I had to log in and tell you that you are an idiot.

Rockstar never does bullshots.

Here are GTAIV official screens.

The final game looks exactly like this, especially on my pc which runs it on high. If you think these screens are bullshots you're a fucking dumbass.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »
zomg
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »
HIMUMU CAME BACK.

:o

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
Just a reminder,trailer 2 is launching today

T - 3 hours
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:09 AM »
himumu back from the dead, he couldn't ignore such great injustic.

comeback of the month!

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
cat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
haha I made Himu come out of hiding.
:bow ME :bow2
:piss GTA :piss2
Hi

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »
T - 8 minutes
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
GO
cat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
this series took a downfall once they allowed themselves to go onto xbox. it just became more mainstream and less fun like when it was sonye xlcusive
USA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »
-Less serious story
-More emphasis on doing crazy/fun stuff

Off to a good start, at least.
dog

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
Return of the king :bow2
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
Skepticism annihilated, Rockstar really knows how to make me feel good about a game. I want a .gif of that jeep coming out of the plane :drool

EDIT:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:18:57 PM by Raban »
SRY

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Now if only all that crazy stuff controls good, this could be something nice.

cool breeze

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
I'd imagine Microsoft has to be working out a deal to get GTAV on the 'Next Great Console from Microsoft.'  Spring 2013 and Rockstar's history suggests an April or May release.  E3 coming right after in June.  I can see why they wouldn't announce it before that time.  I mean, I'd say Sony could do it too but Rockstar had a stronger relationship with Microsoft this gen.

Unless Rockstar is pulling off some magic the 360/PS3 versions of it won't look or run nearly as smooth as in these promo media.  So far, no announced PC version either.  GTA4 on the consoles looks mad blurry.  Red Dead Redemption looks great but didn't have as much going on.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
Skepticism annihilated, Rockstar really knows how to make me feel good about a game. I want a .gif of that jeep coming out of the plane :drool

EDIT:
(Image removed from quote.)

I guess. If I hadnt done this already in Saints.
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
that was a really good trailer. good sense of tone.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
Good trailer, will trick me into buying another GTA I'll play for 5 hours and bail on.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Trevor Philips 2013

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
Good trailer, will trick me into buying another GTA I'll play for 5 hours and bail on.

I've fallen prey to this in the past, but held strong with the two GTAIV Episodes.

Stay strong with me, brother. Stay strong.
野球

Himu

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »

EDIT:
(Image removed from quote.)

Lookie here.

Another idiot.

Actual quotes from conversations from Raban:

"I don't play games for entertainment, I play games for research."

A GTAV trailer is released which shows nothing but entertaining shit and nothing about design principles nor mechanics. He switches his tune. Because he's an idiot contrarian teenager.

"Saints Row is nothing but shooting!"

Orgasms at the fact YOU JUMP OUT OF A PLANE WITH A CAR FALLING AND BASE JUMP in GTAV when Saints Row The Third did this in its SECOND mission. Whoops!

"GTAV looks like they are just doing a bullet list of things they didn't have in GTAIV."

Says his skepticism wasn't warranted, despite the fact that EVERYTHING in that trailer was stuff you could do in San Andreas such as base jumping from airborne planes, trains, jet dogfights, and more.

Keep fucking that chicken, Raban. Let's see you come up with another different excuse for why you enjoy games to seem somehow deep rather than enjoying them, playing them, and doing awesome shit. Fuckass.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »
Trailer looked bad ass. That was far more entertaining and useful than that shitty GI article.

Himu

« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
The GI article was extremely informative, Stoney. The most important of which being the revelation that they're going to have more than 2 mission types for aspies like Raban.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/ZeVTP#0

gta5 screenshots remade in gta4 show this is def possible on current consoles
USA

Sho Nuff

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
GTA4's sandbox world/core simulation is far more complex and interesting, but Saints Row curb stomps it in regards to gameplay. I'm still interested in this though.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Holy shit, Garret, what's wrong with you? :rofl
SRY

Himu

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Just spreading wisdom to the taco who kept spamming my steam chat window but blocked me because he (or should I say she!) is a wimp who can't handle diverging opinions, making it so I couldn't communicate back. At least you can't act like a faux intellectual on a public forum, so there's a plus.
IYKYK