Author Topic: GTAV - first person mode in pc/ps4/xb1 :o  (Read 165075 times)

Himu

Re: GTAV
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
A video game with a shitty checkpoint system, yes.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35:51 AM »
I've been balancing GTAIV's Ballad of Gay Tony and GTA San Andreas lately.

I think that ideally, I'd love SA's fun with IV's overall package. In a description...I'd rather play SA, but I think IV is mechanically stronger in many areas.

For instance, driving. Once you've gotten a hang of driving in IV, it completely eclipses every past game in the series. What makes things even better is that every vehicle has their own specific strengths and weaknesses, and none of them control the same. I just finished a session of San Andreas, and every single car aside from muscle cars controlled similarly. Much more, there's no skill required in regards to driving. But driving in IV actually takes skill and practice. Drifting around corners at high speed takes effort, patience, and well timed presses. Drifting in SA requires little to no effort from the player to pull off successfully.

Then there's the wanted system. I used to criticize IV's wanted system, but I think I was handling it the wrong way. With a combination of Red Dead Redemption and a couple of goon posts, I think I've been able to come to respect, and even enjoy the fuck out of IV's wanted system after years of "not getting it". The problem with IV's wanted system is that Rockstar failed to give players information on ways that work to their advantage in mid chase, or fully explain all the rules to their new bounty system. In an example, in pre-release days, one of the bulletpoints in IV's previews was that you could switch cars mid chase and lose your trail for the police to follow. I'd try this out when I got the game but it didn't work. The trick is that it does so long as the stars are blinking and you're out of the gray area. This helps clear chases exponentially.

More than that, I always that cops would just randomly spawn like in the old days and not have an iota of smart AI, but due to a recent post at SA, about a guy dodging cops, I decided to experiment with the cop AI a bit. I learned quite a few things and that's that on foot chases are very practical in trying to lose heat. Duck into a few alley ways and you'll eventually lose the cops chasing you. If you hide in an alley, and notice the patrol cars, they will not know where you are and will be actively searching for the perp, driving slowly. This is your chance to duck and get the hell out of dodge.

In SA, just a few minutes ago, I had three stars, and after my IV play sessions lately, this bored the shit out of me. IV's wanted system is by no means perfect. I wish that cop avoidance were easier and more pronounced, and I wish that cops still actively searched, MGS style, for you, the culprit, but given under scrutiny, the AI holds up for some thrilling chases.

For the first time in years, I'm actually starting trouble, getting in chases on purpose, on low life, just to see if I can manage surviving and getting out of the cop radius. I'm blowing up cars with sticky bombs, running away before someone reports me, and seeing if I can get out of the area without one single cop noticing me.

All in all, the old GTA's are starting to feel oldhat, and I hope that Rockstar expands upon all of this in the new entry.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2012, 04:42:35 AM »
I've been balancing GTAIV's Ballad of Gay Tony and GTA San Andreas lately.

I think that ideally, I'd love SA's fun with IV's overall package. In a description...I'd rather play SA, but I think IV is mechanically stronger in many areas.

For instance, driving. Once you've gotten a hang of driving in IV, it completely eclipses every past game in the series. What makes things even better is that every vehicle has their own specific strengths and weaknesses, and none of them control the same. I just finished a session of San Andreas, and every single car aside from muscle cars controlled similarly. Much more, there's no skill required in regards to driving. But driving in IV actually takes skill and practice. Drifting around corners at high speed takes effort, patience, and well timed presses. Drifting in SA requires little to no effort from the player to pull off successfully.

Then there's the wanted system. I used to criticize IV's wanted system, but I think I was handling it the wrong way. With a combination of Red Dead Redemption and a couple of goon posts, I think I've been able to come to respect, and even enjoy the fuck out of IV's wanted system after years of "not getting it". The problem with IV's wanted system is that Rockstar failed to give players information on ways that work to their advantage in mid chase, or fully explain all the rules to their new bounty system. In an example, in pre-release days, one of the bulletpoints in IV's previews was that you could switch cars mid chase and lose your trail for the police to follow. I'd try this out when I got the game but it didn't work. The trick is that it does so long as the stars are blinking and you're out of the gray area. This helps clear chases exponentially.

More than that, I always that cops would just randomly spawn like in the old days and not have an iota of smart AI, but due to a recent post at SA, about a guy dodging cops, I decided to experiment with the cop AI a bit. I learned quite a few things and that's that on foot chases are very practical in trying to lose heat. Duck into a few alley ways and you'll eventually lose the cops chasing you. If you hide in an alley, and notice the patrol cars, they will not know where you are and will be actively searching for the perp, driving slowly. This is your chance to duck and get the hell out of dodge.

In SA, just a few minutes ago, I had three stars, and after my IV play sessions lately, this bored the shit out of me. IV's wanted system is by no means perfect. I wish that cop avoidance were easier and more pronounced, and I wish that cops still actively searched, MGS style, for you, the culprit, but given under scrutiny, the AI holds up for some thrilling chases.

For the first time in years, I'm actually starting trouble, getting in chases on purpose, on low life, just to see if I can manage surviving and getting out of the cop radius. I'm blowing up cars with sticky bombs, running away before someone reports me, and seeing if I can get out of the area without one single cop noticing me.

All in all, the old GTA's are starting to feel oldhat, and I hope that Rockstar expands upon all of this in the new entry.

IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
himu gta4 sucks
pcp

Himu

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »
No, it is mediocre with a splash of greatness that is expanded upon and realized in RDR.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
yeah it sucks
pcp

Himu

« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
Yeah it is pretty shit
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
we had a good conversation
pcp

Himu

« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Unzip your pants
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
I prefer uncircumcized :(
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »
Uncircumcized is so HOT. You get to play with the skin and :o :heartbeat :heartbeat :o
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
STOP TALKING ABOUT DICK I'M GETTING A FEVER
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/36lakj/gt-retrospectives-grand-theft-auto-retrospective--part-iii

Holy shit I forgot how much variety, gameplay and shit to do there was in San Andreas. And people wonder why I was disappointed in 4.

HO. LY. FUCK.

Man, nostalgia drips off that in waves -- but the good kind, the shit that's based in reality. It is STUNNING to see how much was stripped from GTA IV. No wonder I spent over 140 hours in San Andreas, and was busy the whole time.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
i forgot how bad those games looked, wow
USA

Himu

« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:16 PM »
You guys should really replay SA. I am doing it on PC.
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2012, 11:59:59 PM »
I still remember getting SA day one and just driving around. So great.

Saints Row ended up being more like GTA SA than GTA did.
itm

Himu

« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:35 AM »
San Andreas is where next gen should have went but ultimately failed to achieve.

I think that San Andreas was too big to replicate out the gate. No sanbox game to this day has managed to top it. It's such a massive undertaking and requires so much money. Even games like Just Cause 2, which probably have bigger LAND MASS size than SA, lack the detail and care and overall number of things to do that made SA so great.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
Red Dead Redemption came the closest imo. It did everything you could possibly do with a Western sandbox game and did it very well.

RDR is small as shit and doesn't over the variety SA has. Though it's fantastic.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
To be fair, Saints Row was originally a xbox 1 game that was ported to 360,  so its understandable they had more things in th game because of the time. Rockstar developed a whole new engine first, which is why GTA4 was lighto n content.
USA

Bebpo

« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Red Dead Redemption came the closest imo. It did everything you could possibly do with a Western sandbox game and did it very well.

RDR is small as shit and doesn't over the variety SA has. Though it's fantastic.

RDR is plenty big considering the speed at which you traverse it.

Himu

« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »
RDR only feels big because you're on horse. It's not really that big as a landmass, though. We're talking overall size and speed traveled.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
San Andreas is the ultimate GTA game. Objectively speaking it is the best one as well.

I still preferred Vice City, tho. That game was pure majik.
Always felt the same way.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

credit to gaf for finding
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
:lol
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
:lol
Great ending.

Himu

« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:40 AM »

IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
SA was amazing(except the flying school bullshit) I was replaying it on pc early this year, I was the only one in my group of friends who was disappointed by GTA4, they said I was a negative cunt ::)
Drunk

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
747s and submarines. If they take the lessons they learned from RDR and applied it to this we'd be talking god tier game. They are separate teams though so I remain skeptical.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
SA was amazing(except the flying school bullshit) I was replaying it on pc early this year, I was the only one in my group of friends who was disappointed by GTA4, they said I was a negative cunt ::)

You might be a negative cunt, but you are right to be disappointed by GTA IV. I'm not saying you are a negative cunt, I'm just saying you're right.

SA was excellent; I actually cleared all the flying stuff to Gold Trophy level, but couldn't clear the last San Fiero driving school mission to Gold. Some shit head would always spawn in front of me while I was on my way back to the school at top goddamned speed. :maf :maf :maf

cool breeze

« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
allegedly NightRideFM is one of the radio stations.  It's for Kavinsky (his music or his choices?). 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
Rockstar took a bit too much inspiration from their work on Red Dead Redemption:

dog

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:05:45 PM by maxy »
cat

Himu

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »
Most of those are old.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
cat

Himu

« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
Holy shit.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »
Will likely buy PC version IF they learned from RDR

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
Will likely buy PC version IF they learned from RDR

I don't think I can wait for the six month late port :(
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »
it's a weird thing to get hung up on perhaps but i really wish they'd have cockpit views for driving. I really dislike 3rd person driving
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
Sho Nuff taught me that GTA IV can be played best in "hood camera" mode. Driving feels much better.

I'm guessing that cockpits in cars are low-res crap, so that is why we get no dashboard in hood cam mode.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »
hood camera is ok but for a game where you spend so much time driving, it would be nice. it's not like they lack the budget
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »
I think it's a graphics budget thing. They likely can't afford the memory or processing power to put in something which won't be seen by most players.

I'd like it too, though.

maxy

• Sales Loser
cat

Powerslave

« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
I'm getting a very good vibe from the cover. The colours are great, really glad that they made them more vibrant compared to the previous 2/3 games. This also reflects the game itself I think.

Himu

« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Agreed. Very Vice City.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
Speaking of Vice City, I'd like to hear about this game's soundtrack.

Himu

« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2013, 11:26:22 AM »
It has Stevie Wonder so there may be a 70's/80's soul/funk station aka the best station.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
Bowie better be in one of the stations.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
Bowie was in IV so I imagine there's a good chance.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:20 AM »
He was also in SA aka best GTA.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
Ah right. Yeah Bowie has to be in this.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: GTAV (box art cover revealed, deep sea adventures!)
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
I liked GTA IV's radio better than the gameplay. Whatever that station was that Juliette Lewis hosted was great. Iggy's was even better. The Journey was fun whenever I didn't want to think.

Am breaking my No Torrent policy to grab at the teat of P2P wealth for this. Man, I liked the radio. And the Euphoria middleware was still crap.

Himu

« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
The radio is awesome. The only problem with it is that it always plays the same song every time you get in a car.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »
Himu, you already stanning this game?
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
Beezy will like to know that there's a high chance of an oldies station due to Gay Tony.

Himu, you already stanning this game?

NO! Just being informative!
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
If they have multi like RDR or MP3, I am going to go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow for this game.

FULL.

distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

Himu

« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
How was the multi in those games?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
I want a [next-gen] sequel to Vice City so bad.
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

Kavinsky is going to be the DJ for a station called Nightride FM. Expect hot, thumping dance tunes.
SRY

Beezy

« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
I want a [next-gen] sequel to Vice City so bad.
So so bad.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »

Kavinsky is going to be the DJ for a station called Nightride FM. Expect hot, thumping dance tunes.

Hmm... interesting...
^_^