Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 166861 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #901 on: July 06, 2021, 06:59:16 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #902 on: September 16, 2021, 07:19:06 AM »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #903 on: September 17, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
I had a 5.5 tatami sized apt. for $400 a month in Mitaka. That’s still 23 Ward region. No one could believe how cheap, despite the size.

Bebpo

« Reply #904 on: September 17, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »
I had a 5.5 tatami sized apt. for $400 a month in Mitaka. That’s still 23 Ward region. No one could believe how cheap, despite the size.

:o

And you're not a small guy. How the hell did you live in that?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #905 on: September 17, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »

:o

And you're not a small guy. How the hell did you live in that?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #906 on: September 18, 2021, 05:39:29 PM »

I lived in an even-smaller (I think?) sized dorm room, for a month, in Tokyo one summer.  Nerima-ku IIRC.  There were people who lived in them full-time for years.  Couldn't even fathom it!

Edit: Found a video someone took!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 05:44:11 PM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #907 on: September 19, 2021, 09:24:17 PM »

Nice... pretty close to the Ghibli Museum? I remember heading from my hotel in Minato all the way to Mitaka, only to get to the museum and realize I forgot my ticket back in the hotel... and then had to go all the way back and forth. I thought Mitaka looked like a cute suburban town and wished I could've spent a tiny bit more time there.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #908 on: September 30, 2021, 06:33:36 PM »

I lived in an even-smaller (I think?) sized dorm room, for a month, in Tokyo one summer.  Nerima-ku IIRC.  There were people who lived in them full-time for years.  Couldn't even fathom it!

That's both LARGER and BRIGHTER than the "apartment" I had. My kitchenette was the same size, but placed in the foyer/genkan. I had a single futon in there, and there was not room for a desk.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #909 on: October 01, 2021, 07:30:19 AM »

That's both LARGER and BRIGHTER than the "apartment" I had. My kitchenette was the same size, but placed in the foyer/genkan. I had a single futon in there, and there was not room for a desk.

:existential

Almost sounds like a converted closet. :dizzy
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #910 on: October 01, 2021, 06:00:29 PM »
I guess it helps you become a more organized space-efficient person for the rest of your life?

My place in Japan was shitty, but it wasn't small. Was like living room + bedroom + small hall kitchen & bathroom. The bed in the bedroom was pretty gross and the carpet smelled funky so I just threw down a tatami in the living room and a small tv and just lived in one room space tho.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #911 on: October 02, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »
I guess it helps you become a more organized space-efficient person for the rest of your life?

My place in Japan was shitty, but it wasn't small. Was like living room + bedroom + small hall kitchen & bathroom. The bed in the bedroom was pretty gross and the carpet smelled funky so I just threw down a tatami in the living room and a small tv and just lived in one room space tho.

My apartment had two rooms, a kitchen, and then separate bathroom/toilet spaces.  The size wasn't bad- the condition, however, was another story, lol.  Was your place a designated long-term "JET residence?"  Mine had been used for that going back to at least the early 90's and there was stuff from the previous occupants all over the place.  I kind of just lived in it as-is at first, pretty much in just the living (tatami) room and used the other room as a giant walk-in closet.  Then my parents came to visit and were horrified at the condition of some of the spaces.  My dad spent like half a day cleaning the shower room out- it was orange before he got there and I thought that was the color- turns out it was white.  :lol  Then I added some newer furniture, appliances, put up blinds, closet hanging rods, etc.  and made it way more livable.

When I got married and my wife moved in, we spent a long time cleaning out the place and turned the other room into a bedroom with futon bed frames.  There was a big wall-spanning closet in one room that was pretty deep and I kept pulling stuff out from the different people who lived there.  Just the most random shit you could think of- no idea why nobody else ever bothered to clean it out before we did.  The ALT desks in the teachers' rooms were the same way.
:dizzy
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #912 on: October 02, 2021, 10:48:01 PM »
Yeah, mine was a long-time JET/teachers residence. It reminded me of those container homes. Long rectangle. And condition wasn't great for sure. I remember I had to shovel snow off the roof regularly during the winter so the roof wouldn't collapse and kill me in my sleep.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Beezy

« Reply #914 on: November 18, 2021, 01:57:30 AM »
At least I was able to go to the one in Akihabara. :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #915 on: November 18, 2021, 04:31:14 AM »

I still can’t believe I lived in Tokyo for a year and a half and didn’t manage to make it to the Kowloon themed arcade in Kawasaki before it closed. Still kicking myself over that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #916 on: November 19, 2021, 07:31:22 AM »

I still can’t believe I lived in Tokyo for a year and a half and didn’t manage to make it to the Kowloon themed arcade in Kawasaki before it closed. Still kicking myself over that.

Oh wow, I would have loved to have checked this out.   :'(
ど助平

Quaker

« Reply #917 on: November 20, 2021, 03:11:43 AM »
I went there a month or two before it closed.

Cool in concept but TBH it was kinda like those really intricate plastic food replicas they have in the windows outside of restaurants. It was a lot of crane games and those modern 3D versus games(I don't know what you call them) and the retro games they had weren't in great shape from what I remember.

I was way more impressed with Mikado.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #918 on: November 23, 2021, 04:21:21 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #919 on: December 01, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #920 on: December 01, 2021, 11:06:36 PM »
I thought the borders were still closed to non-essential workers? Didn't think they ever lifted them, otherwise I would've made travel plans to visit. And if they're just going to keep shutting the borders for 6-12 months every time there's a new variant, I guess Japan will never have tourists again.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #921 on: December 02, 2021, 12:24:29 AM »
I thought the borders were still closed to non-essential workers? Didn't think they ever lifted them, otherwise I would've made travel plans to visit. And if they're just going to keep shutting the borders for 6-12 months every time there's a new variant, I guess Japan will never have tourists again.

There has never been a lift on tourist visas. They've been blocked for a bit now.

Everyone's allowed to leave. There was a full closure on returning to Japan for everyone, I think. Then they excepted citizens on business, and then citizens in general. THEN they caught hell for not allowing foreign residents back in, so they lifted that.

That's when I took my trip to the USA. Got back the very end of September. October and November pass, and here we are again.

I'd be unable to get home to Japan if I had to travel now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:15:05 AM by chronovore »

Bebpo

« Reply #922 on: December 02, 2021, 12:50:56 AM »
Oh wow, that's insane.

Like other countries remove tourist block = Japan keeps tourist block
Other countries add tourist blocking = Japan starts blocking their own citizens from coming back

Is there a reason the PM is so scared shitless and running 100% Xenophobia in 2021? Doesn't a huge % of Japan's economy, especially in cities like Kyoto come from tourism dollars?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #923 on: December 02, 2021, 01:21:31 AM »
The end of Prime Minister Abe’s reign saw a return to an open hawkish, conservative attitude.

Several foreigners I know have been stopped on the street by police officers for absolutely no reason in the past few months.

Japan has always had it out for foreigners, they have just been more open with it during this fearful time with Covid.

The citizenry are consistently convinced that foreigners are what bring disease into the country. I have had men leave the public baths when I enter, because they think foreigners are the ones that brought HIV/AIDS into Japan. I have had English lessons with Japanese businessman who bragged about their sex tour of Thailand, and paying additional money for “clean” prostitutes so they don’t need to use condoms. There is some remarkably backward thinking here.

Bebpo

« Reply #924 on: December 02, 2021, 02:06:46 AM »
Terrible stuff :(

I haven't really followed politics over there since Abe left.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #925 on: December 02, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »
Terrible stuff :(

I haven't really followed politics over there since Abe left.
https://music.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #926 on: December 06, 2021, 02:25:54 AM »
http://twitter.com/acstokyo/status/1467629914857816065

“Racial stereotyping” in this case amounts to “You’re not Japanese.”

archnemesis

« Reply #927 on: December 06, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
I recently discovered that there is a global shortage of Japanese whiskey. Everything is pretty much sold out and there won't be any new stock for many years. I was lucky to pick up a bottle of Yamazaki while traveling last week.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #928 on: December 08, 2021, 07:31:53 AM »
Started like a few years back. Around 2016 I think.  Saw stuff like the Yamazaki 12 skyrocket.

Most of em sell bottles without an age statement now.

archnemesis

« Reply #929 on: December 08, 2021, 12:01:39 PM »
That's exactly what I got. Now it's just called "The Yamazaki". Guess that's the only version they have left.

The 18 year old Sherry Cask was my favorite. Hopefully it will return in far future.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #930 on: December 08, 2021, 06:21:38 PM »
I thought you guys were talking about a supply chain related problem, the shortages that started in 2016 were due to older problems where Japan did not understand the level of demand that Japanese single malts would generate. Then Chinese tourism took off, and every tour group coming over here was buying like crazy.

« Reply #931 on: December 09, 2021, 03:57:45 PM »
We're still shooting for a November 2022 Japan trip since it will be four years since our last, but I'm not hopeful.

I thought you guys were talking about a supply chain related problem, the shortages that started in 2016 were due to older problems where Japan did not understand the level of demand that Japanese single malts would generate. Then Chinese tourism took off, and every tour group coming over here was buying like crazy.

This isn't just a Japanese thing. A lot of the distilleries purposely decreased production and jacked their retail prices after seeing what their stuff was going for on the secondary market.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:05:50 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #932 on: December 09, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »
https://kotaku.com/japans-gundam-cafes-will-all-close-down-1847980155

:japancry

Wanna go grab me another mug? I've got two (Fenex Gundam and Unicorn Gundam) but would love a third just because.
野球

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #933 on: December 09, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »
They're also all getting in on the NAS whiskys. It does lead to interesting stuff like the Glenfiddich experimental series.

« Reply #934 on: December 09, 2021, 04:16:12 PM »
They're also all getting in on the NAS whiskys. It does lead to interesting stuff like the Glenfiddich experimental series.

So many solid affordable shelf whiskeys are now well over $100 and impossible to find.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #935 on: December 09, 2021, 06:06:38 PM »

Wanna go grab me another mug? I've got two (Fenex Gundam and Unicorn Gundam) but would love a third just because.

I can’t promise I’ll get to Akiba again before they close. The Osaka one is Suita, nearly 2 hours away for me.  :-\

« Reply #936 on: December 10, 2021, 10:25:18 AM »

I can’t promise I’ll get to Akiba again before they close. The Osaka one is Suita, nearly 2 hours away for me.  :-\

No worries! Didn’t realize the Osaka one is so far away.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #937 on: December 11, 2021, 08:42:22 PM »

It's further away than Minoh's brewery, and I still haven't made it out there.  :-\ :'(

When your family comes out again, are you thinking Tokyo or Osaka this time?

« Reply #938 on: December 13, 2021, 02:33:32 PM »

It's further away than Minoh's brewery, and I still haven't made it out there.  :-\ :'(

When your family comes out again, are you thinking Tokyo or Osaka this time?

I think the plan is Tokyo and Kyoto. My best friend and his wife (Em's best friend) and their daughter (Addie's best friend) are going to come with so we'll be taking them to stuff they've shown an interest in along with our favorite things. Might even head up to Nagano for some snow. We'll see.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #939 on: January 05, 2022, 03:24:07 AM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #940 on: January 06, 2022, 12:48:05 AM »
Band-Maid announced a US tour for this year so that gives me a faint tentative bit of hope that we might also get a Miku Expo since '20s was cancelled. Not holding my breath.
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #941 on: February 16, 2022, 11:44:56 PM »
http://twitter.com/thehenrydemos/status/1493929067800068097

This is usually difficult to find in Japan. I’m stoked.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #942 on: February 17, 2022, 04:39:06 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #944 on: February 17, 2022, 05:20:55 PM »
I see Japan is talking about easing borders in March 2022, but still no tourists allowed. Only business/students, etc...

It's so weird seeing a country completed isolated from the rest of the world. Will have been 2 years now. Feels like going back to the Sengoku-era Japan before they opened their borders in the Meiji years to foreigners.

If Covid becomes endemic, I wonder what their plan is? Never allow filthy foreigners into their country again? I've got to imagine their economy being pretty devastated these two years by the loss of tourism $$$.

Feels like they should just require proof vaccination + testing + quarantine + re-testing at the end of quarantine if they're so paranoid. Although my gut feeling is that covid is just an excuse for the PM and the government to be xenophobic.

Bebpo

« Reply #945 on: February 17, 2022, 05:34:41 PM »
And by xenophobic, I mean more xenophobic than usual.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #946 on: February 17, 2022, 06:47:33 PM »
Once the vaccine was FINALLY available, the government provided immunization starting with the 90 year olds, then 80 year olds, then 70… when the mandatory retirement age is 60! The elderly are disproportionately affected by C19, but this looked more like catering to the voters who will keep the status quo in power.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #948 on: March 16, 2022, 07:37:07 PM »
My daughter is up in Tokyo right now. It was only about a 4 there, but it was still scary, apparently. The north east is really prone to these recently.

Bebpo

« Reply #949 on: March 16, 2022, 08:19:55 PM »
Yikes, yeah that's a major one. Sounds like most people were safe thanks to the rigid building codes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #950 on: April 19, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #951 on: April 19, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »
Lady Baby with no Lady Beard no sale.  :hmph
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:43:57 PM by D3RANG3D »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #952 on: September 18, 2022, 10:55:31 AM »

He's back with another unique tiny living space!
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #955 on: September 21, 2022, 08:40:47 AM »
First visited Tokyo after IC cards were standard and it’s dead simple. Never got when people called it confusing. Then I heard stories of different tickets for different lines run by different companies.  A headache.

Clip is from Departures. Fun travel show from the perspective of a couple frat bros.

Bebpo

« Reply #956 on: September 22, 2022, 06:59:08 PM »
So Japan's fully open again to all tourists no restrictions starting October 11th.

How does Japan handle dining these days? Pretty sure in all my years in Japan pre-pandemic I never saw a single outdoor dining section anywhere and good luck having much AC in most places. Just tight packed places with a ton of people. I haven't ate at a restaurant/fast food place indoors in 2.5 years here in the USA, but it's been fine since almost everywhere has some outdoor tables. Not sure if I'm comfortable at this point doing a trip where I'm dining indoors 2x a day for a couple weeks straight.

Also I fully expect Japan to close again once they're flooded with a million tourists from all over the world and covid infections among the Japanese population skyrocket up. Figure if you're gonna go, best to go in Oct/Nov before it all shuts down again.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #957 on: September 22, 2022, 07:56:53 PM »
Haven't checked recently, but COVID numbers there were higher than everywhere else in the world as reported in August.

Was told it would be best to wait to go until next year- Chrono, how are things where you are?
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #958 on: September 24, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »
Everything is open for business as usual.

In any indoors space, 100% of people are wearing masks, 90% of them wearing them correctly.

Inside a dining space, masks are removed once drinks or food have arrived, and replaced once food and drink have been finished.

Quaker

« Reply #959 on: October 15, 2022, 12:18:20 PM »
Flying into Narita in 3 weeks but hoping to go west to Kyoto/Osaka this time. Unfortunately it was short notice so I only have a week. Went in October 3 years ago but mostly stayed in the Tokyo area aside from a day trip to Nikko.

Any neighborhood(accommodation) and restaurant recommendations would be welcome! :)