Author Topic: Keiji Inafune needs CAPCOM!  (Read 39449 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Keiji Inafune needs YOU!
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
They aren't? Lol.

well i would say that SMT is it considering all the bajillion spinoff they made but then i haven't played SMT4 so i don't know how much new stuff is in it and i'd have to face himumu fatlus rage and i don't want to bother so i'll leave it to you guys :jawalrus
<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
magoose missing the goddam point entirely yet again

oooooohhhhh,all i'm saying is that when a series has gone for that long there is nothing wrong with it dying off... megaman was on the way to become the videogame equivalent of the simpsons so rather than bitch at capcom for killing it off we should remember the time for when it was good and maybe bitch at it for not killing it soon enough so that stuff like MMBN4 happened

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:41:38 PM by magus »
<----

Tasty

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
Hey, Mega Man only became great after I was born. (X)

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
That's no kickstarter though.

Mid-2000s Microsoft, same thing more or less
QED

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
:holeup :kobeyuck :what :trash
SRY

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
it was Simpsons before Andrex was born.  The fans had made peace with that.  The thing is, there was still a market for the side scrolling Mega games, with even ZXA selling numbers Atlus would dream of.  MM9 was a slightly gussied up NES game and it sold fucking crazy numbers.

Canceling MML3 was a wise financial move.  Canceling the whole damn character was a stupid move done out of spite towards Inafune.

ehy at least we got spared ourself a wayforward megaman game :jawalrus
<----

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »
I think it's a bit early to call that one, magoose.

On the other hand, Capcom seems uninterested in working with Wayforward.  Probably some bad blood left over from Shantae.

What about the Ducktales Remix?
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »
lolololol
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »
:holeup :kobeyuck :what :trash

Mega Man X is one of the few perfect games.  :noah

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Previous games were really good though. :)
[close]

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »
Oscar, was Legends 3 really that risky for Capcom? Did they ever talk about what the budget looked like? 1 billion yen? I'm sure with decent marketing it would've sold well enough to the younger, shonen-reader crowd on top of Mega Man fans. Pretty sure that's why they threw the new characters in there. I mean Capcom's published E.X. Troopers, Gaist Crusher's on the way and both games look VERY similar to Legends 3. How did E.X. Troopers perform?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:01:49 AM by Raban »
SRY

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 12:17:56 AM »
Yeah EX Troopers was like an atom bomb.

Himu

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:34 AM »
you know what else makes me scratch my head? there are (let me count them) 25 megaman sidescrollers (27 if you want to count the remake on psp,i guess around 23 if you don't want to count the last megaman x game for being 3D) why do we need another one so desperately much? that is why i find it hard to give a fuck about this even if i like megaman

because:

1. mega man is one of the hardest franchises to bring successfully to 3d, probably on par with Sonic, maybe worse.

2. because kickstarter is for projects that get 1-3 million tops. If it's not a side scroller, what should it be? The only viable alternative is a 3d game, and who on Earth thinks it's possible to make a good 3d Mega Man with 3 million dollars or less? You are putting all your eggs into Kickstarters basket for a new refreshing Mega Man, when realistically, Kickstarter is best for smaller size projects. What smaller sized project is something that people will recognize? That's right, a side scroller.

3. because 2d Mega Man fucking rocks.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 12:38:02 AM »
I don't think it made much sense at the time.  A years-late numbered sequel to a series that sold pretty poorly, on a system that has a lot of problems moving software outside Japan.  And in Japan, MM doesn't sell well at all outside of the anime-tied RPGs.

I'm dead certain it would have sold under 150k WW.  Which would make it a better investment than DmC, speaking of budget to sales ratio, but that's neither here nor there.

EX Troopers was a pretty frigging huge bomb, actually.  22k LTD on 3DS, 11k LTD on PS3.
Funny that you mention DmC, a game that purposely thumbed its nose at the original fanbase where Legends 3 was doing the exact opposite. What the hell is going on at Capcom?

A few years ago I decided to research the Mega Man franchise sales' history, and I was surprised to discover that Mega Man is actually kind of a loser next to Capcom's real star franchises, Street Fighter and Resident Evil. Before that, I had assumed Mega Man was one of Capcom's more profitable brands, but uh... nope! Capcom's execs must've been dying to shed the series with Inafune. It also doesn't surprise me that EX Troopers tanked, and Gaist Crusher will likely have a similar fate.

I'm still bitter about Legends 3 getting cancelled. There isn't anything out there quite like the Legends games and having that experience souped up and on the 3DS would've been heavenly. It had parkour, melee combat, and vehicles. Vehicles. The least they could've done was put out the demo they fucking finished.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
Dying to shed Mega Man from their roster? Dying to shed low budget 2d games that sold pretty well? Uhhhh.

You mistake not selling as well as Resident Evil and Street Fighter as "not successful". Mega Man games are plenty successful for their budget.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »
Yeah, when the PSN and XBLA were announced I thought Japanese companies would jump in and make new 2D entries of their many classic franchises and sell them for 10 or 15, I even imagined SE making some 15- 20 hours old school RPGs, silly me.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 01:14:30 AM »
They did.

They're just on mobile.  :tophat
IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 04:04:55 AM »
slightly OT, but I miss dearly the esoteric Capcom that died off after the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation.  Guys who didn't just fund very niche-y games like Clock Tower 3, Once Piece Mansion (not anime related) Under the Skin, Viewtiful Joe, Godhand and Killer 7.  But they were also a pretty good publisher or games that they otherwise had no part in, like Way of the Samurai 2, Flipnic, Defender of the Crown, Toki Tori and Shantae and Dragons Lair (Game Boy Color versions).

as Oscar said, Capcom used to go after the small dollars, and they did it well.  Hell, they kept putting out Dreamcast games well after other established parties had fled that sinking ship.  That's where my affection for Capcom comes from, yeah, sure, I loved me some Resident Evil back then, but was any other company going to give me Gunbird 2?  They used to cater to every kind of gamer, now they really don't shivagit.

I know that's the market being way tougher then it used to be, but I still can't help but think that almost any other investment, even trying to be a Atlus-junior division, would paid out better then whatever they spent on Lost Planet 3, for example.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »
Inafailure at his best

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
Succeeding wildly on the backs of others?
And throwing his predecessors under the bus when things get real.

Himu

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »
Clock Tower 3 is fucking :bow

And fucking Killer 7 would never be as good as it was without Cap com involvement. :bow
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
Funded. Inafking making it rain. :pimp

bluemax

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
Oh, now that he needs my money, he's all about Mega Man? Ha.

Console stretch goals are WAY too high for no good reason. Ports are easypeasy.

As someone who worked on a fuck ton of console ports, I'd love to know how they're easy peasy.
NO

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

As someone who worked on a fuck ton of console ports, I'd love to know how they're easy peasy.

a console port for an existing 2.5D platformer should add $100-200k per platform max. having the game at $900k and console port at $2.5 million is all out of proportion with the work involved, especially when porting your game is what increases your sales...
乱学者

bluemax

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
3-5 months of work for 3-5 programmers, none of whom are making industry minimum (which last I checked was around $50k American).

If you assume they get paid roughly industry average (about $75k) and there are only 3 of them and it only takes 3 months, then sure your salary costs come out to about $200k. But that doesn't include operating costs, insurance, dev kit costs etc etc. $2.5 million is definitely extreme, but the cost and time effort are not "easy peasy".
NO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »

a console port for an existing 2.5D platformer should add $100-200k per platform max. having the game at $900k and console port at $2.5 million is all out of proportion with the work involved, especially when porting your game is what increases your sales...

They've also got other stretch goals to factor in between the $900k goal and the console ports level, though.
dog

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
slightly OT, but I miss dearly the esoteric Capcom that died off after the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation.  Guys who didn't just fund very niche-y games like Clock Tower 3, Once Piece Mansion (not anime related) Under the Skin, Viewtiful Joe, Godhand and Killer 7.  But they were also a pretty good publisher or games that they otherwise had no part in, like Way of the Samurai 2, Flipnic, Defender of the Crown, Toki Tori and Shantae and Dragons Lair (Game Boy Color versions).

as Oscar said, Capcom used to go after the small dollars, and they did it well.  Hell, they kept putting out Dreamcast games well after other established parties had fled that sinking ship.  That's where my affection for Capcom comes from, yeah, sure, I loved me some Resident Evil back then, but was any other company going to give me Gunbird 2?  They used to cater to every kind of gamer, now they really don't shivagit.

I know that's the market being way tougher then it used to be, but I still can't help but think that almost any other investment, even trying to be a Atlus-junior division, would paid out better then whatever they spent on Lost Planet 3, for example.

Yeah, what happened to this Capcom? Shareholder pressure or a change in management or something?

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »
Pretty sure nothing "happened" to Capcom. As I understand it, they've been a ruthless, penny-pinching company for a very long time. The only difference between now and the PS2 era was that Capcom hadn't idiotically driven away the bulk of their creative talent yet.

I can't think of a good reason for why Capcom has slowed external game production though. They still release a handful of western games in Japan (doesn't Take-Two still operate on a contract with them?) but it's true they don't appear to lend as much assistance to IPs they don't actually own. The external game publishing they handled, like Mega Man, probably only generated modest profit for Capcom, so that could be reason enough.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:23:12 PM by Raban »
SRY

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
haha, bluemax thinks japanese game programmers make more than a mcdonalds manager

I think 3-5 employees for 3-5 months was how mmx6 was made.  in exchange, the staff were paid sixteen cans of beer, three packs of smokes, and one meal set of their choice from lotteria.  plus, Capcom generously agreed not to kill their families, who reside within the walls of Capcomjou.

honestly they should have punished those guys and their families for the work they did on mmx6
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »
it makes me more sympathetic, but that level that was one long "dodge the crushing roof" sequence put me in therapy for two and a half years
pcp

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
my understanding is that capcom literally gave them like six weeks or something to make it.  i don't blame them, under the circumstances.
Pffft, I've made a game in less time than that

:'(
[close]
vin

Himu

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
MMX6 ugh
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 01:25:23 AM »
haha, bluemax thinks japanese game programmers make more than a mcdonalds manager

I think 3-5 employees for 3-5 months was how mmx6 was made.  in exchange, the staff were paid sixteen cans of beer, three packs of smokes, and one meal set of their choice from lotteria.  plus, Capcom generously agreed not to kill their families, who reside within the walls of Capcomjou.

Yeah, my estimate was based on outsourcing to a 3rd party porting house who does it in 3 weeks per platform. Those guys are probably making $33k a year and Happy to be living the dream. You could pay 2 programmers and 4 testers for a year for $200k.no, and it won't take a year. Assuming you have decent coders or are using good middleware, most of your porting costs are gonna be in testing and TRC. Digital distribution also reduces cost. It's not like iOS/Android where you need a new control scheme or anything. I stand by easy-peasy!

and Japanesey :bluesteel
[close]
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »
All these phrases and stuff I don't know. I can only assume TRC is a code word for weed. Lots and lots of weed.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 01:39:11 AM »
The internet isn't just for fast-food-quality entertainment, y'know. It took me five seconds on Google to discover that TRC means
Technical Requirement Checklist, a checklist mainly used to verify the technical requirement for a platform in video game testing
I read about it on Wikipedia.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2013, 01:41:52 AM »
My Google result didn't even give me remotely anything similar. I got Texas Regional Collaborative, stuff at UT engineering, Toronto Research Chemicals, etc.

I also resent the smarm in that post.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:45:55 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »
Keep scrolling :spin
SRY

Himu

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2013, 01:46:31 AM »
"TRC is a three letter acronym that can refer to: Media and popular culture. The Red Chord, an American .."

Nothing comes up for trc and video games and I am on page 3.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:41 AM »
SRY

Himu

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2013, 01:49:16 AM »
I think I'll do something else than talk to someone who is smug over a Google result.

I just searched for trc oh well.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »
:smug
SRY

Himu

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2013, 01:51:02 AM »
Congrats.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:40 AM »
Capcom of the PS2 gen was just a beast. I have a full shelf of just Capcom PS2/GCN games. They were the reason to own a Cube.

It's a shame. At the begining of this gen it turly looked like they would continue. Dear Rising was a surprise hit. I still remember that 1st Lost Planet demo, turly the 1st game gave that wow look at these graphics and art. And DMC4 looked to be a solid game. It really looked like Capcom was the company that got it this gen.

And now DR has changed it's tone, LP is probly dead and who cares after such a strange history, and who knows what will happen with DMC in the future. Plus it just seems like Capcom has just played it completely safe.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2013, 03:15:22 AM »
There are programmers that make 33k?  :-\

Then again Sony testers make 16.5k in Liverpool.

:dead

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
So, after this morning's update:

1) Console stretch goals were moved ahead of all other stretch goals
2) Console stretch goal was cut by $300k to $2.2 million

I'm sure they'd do more if they could, but at this point that seems a tacit confirmation that console goals were more expensive than they needed to be.

WayForward also announced a Shantae Kickstarter for 6 platforms with a modest $400k goal. I'd imagine they're lowballing that goal to hide most of the costs but there's no way 75% of that goal is platform porting costs.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:13:05 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
WayForward also announced a Shantae Kickstarter for 6 platforms with a modest $400k goal.

Backed. :obama

I'm sure they'd do more if they could, but at this point that seems a tacit confirmation that console goals were more expensive than they needed to be.

They had some other "mystery" stretch goals in there, too, which were axed. They should have realized it before they even got started, but it looks like they got a flood of feedback from people that wanted console versions, so they figured moving that forward would help them get more money than whatever else they had planned originally.

And Wayforward can probably do porting cheaper because they have the dev kits already and their employees have experience working with those consoles, I'm not sure that's the case with Inafune and his team.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:40:20 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Hock

« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
I'm excited for this, but I swear if I see one more piece of "passing the torch" fan art......

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
Inticreates at the very least have PS3 dev kits and plenty of experience with the platform.

As for Shantae, not fooling me again.  The DSiWare one was shit.

i was going to say "i never played the DSiWare one for obvious reason but it's not like the GBC one was that great anyway... i guess it looked nice?" but i didn't want to do for not being the stick in the mud,so thanks for being a stick :obama
<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
you know it just came to my mind... wasn't there another keiji inafune megaman wannabe coming to android phones?

did it ever happen? was it like an actual game? did he stop when he realized guilt tripping megaman fan through kickstarter was easier?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:08:35 PM by magus »
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
That came out in Japan on Android and iOS nearly a year ago.
dog

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
That came out in Japan on Android and iOS nearly a year ago.

i can't find any video of it other than the trailer above :lol
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »
Apparently Marvelous AQL pulled the plug on JJ Rocket and several other mobile games from their "Super Creators" line, meaning that the game doesn't exist any more.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »

Yeah, my estimate was based on outsourcing to a 3rd party porting house who does it in 3 weeks per platform. Those guys are probably making $33k a year and Happy to be living the dream. You could pay 2 programmers and 4 testers for a year for $200k.no, and it won't take a year. Assuming you have decent coders or are using good middleware, most of your porting costs are gonna be in testing and TRC. Digital distribution also reduces cost. It's not like iOS/Android where you need a new control scheme or anything. I stand by easy-peasy!

[close]

6 or 7 years ago, just shy of US$1M is what I was quoted as the starting point, from a very well known porting company to get an existing arcade game ROM brought to console, and through publisher approvals. I was incredulous too, at the time.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »

[close]

6 or 7 years ago, just shy of US$1M is what I was quoted as the starting point, from a very well known porting company to get an existing arcade game ROM brought to console, and through publisher approvals. I was incredulous too, at the time.

1) that's crazy
2) if you control all platforms and build in the cross-platform dev costs from the start, it will of course be less
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
1) It was completely crazy, and there was no way to build an ROI around that.
2) True.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
Apparently Marvelous AQL pulled the plug on JJ Rocket and several other mobile games from their "Super Creators" line, meaning that the game doesn't exist any more.

oh... that's pretty sad,now i feel like an asshole :S
<----

Tasty

« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »
Are you like, seeking this stuff out or something

Takao

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm actually pretty confident any new Mega Man could sell to 15-20k people at $10-15.

Didn't that Starforce junk on DS do better than that at US retail?

Tasty

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »
Holy cow, it's Tacow.