Author Topic: Xbone thread of I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't let you play that.  (Read 58735 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: Xbone trail of tears
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
What is with the third console iteration that makes console manufacturers go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow?  You had the N64, the PS3, and now the Xbone.

The problem when you remove yourself from this stuff is that it doesn't seem as epic anymore. I know if this shit went down in 2005 I would have been going apeshit, but now these all seem like such relatively small problems that future software updates and hardware tweaks can correct.

So yea, it might cost MS a few million users in the first couple years, but in the big picture it doesn't really mean much. People will still want to play games.

I mean, whatever issues the Xbone has it's not going to be the steaming pile that the Vita or Wii U is. It's problems seem more cosmetic than structurally fucked.

I'm not sure I agree.  The race is on at the start to see which platform becomes the definitive platform for multiplatform titles.  The more Xbone stumbles, the easier it is for the PS4 to be the preferred platform to play COD, Madden, etc. on.  Considering how important online gaming is for both of these consoles, having a shit Xbone initial experience could result in significant damage.

As long as the Wii U fails, it's all I give a shit about.
🍆🍆

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »
Focusing on hardware specs and quality of ports is fair game, imo. But if you've been paying attention to the latest round of GAF histrionics it mostly revolves around the OS, XBLA, and how far along they'll be come launch. Those are the things that people will prolly not remember if MS reacts fast enough.
Unzip

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »
sonyfriends could well be creating a monster. i feel like in twelve months there is going to be a whole wave of spurned xbots who get on the PC train just to rain hot piss down on those who have been mercilessly mocking their platform of choice in countless digital foundry threads.

they've always seemed the more pragmatic of the console clans and $1000 is a small amount to pay to win an argument on the internet.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:39:17 PM by headwalk »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2013, 11:50:44 PM »

they've always seemed the more pragmatic of the console clans and $1000 is a small amount to pay to win an argument on the internet.

:lol
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2013, 11:59:30 PM »
I'm curious about how the (few?) native 1080p games will run on 720p sets.  will XB1/PS4 downsample or run at a lower resolution? some ps3 games ran smoother at 720p vs 1080p (SotC HD is one).

What is with the third console iteration that makes console manufacturers go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow?  You had the N64, the PS3, and now the Xbone.

and the Saturn.  best part of that 'third console curse' gag is that it inadvertently links the PS4 to the Gamecube and Dreamcast  :heh

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
Out of all the recent negative press, I find myself believing reports about esram being an actual bottleneck when it comes to resolution the most. And barring a breakthrough in game development, I can see it being a persistent issue.
Unzip

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
I wish the internet was around in the SNES / Genesis era :( I would have sperged so fucking hard

I was on Prodigy, what's your excuse
乱学者

nudemacusers

« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2013, 12:14:06 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate.

neogaf died. is battlefield that huge?
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2013, 12:14:19 AM »
BF4 video broke GAF. The colors on the PS4 version look noticeably washed out. If that's not caused by funky settings or capture tech, then hoo boy.
Unzip

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2013, 12:18:52 AM »
sonyfriends could well be creating a monster. i feel like in twelve months there is going to be a whole wave of spurned xbots who get on the PC train just to rain hot piss down on those who have been mercilessly mocking their platform of choice in countless digital foundry threads.

One reason why I bought 2 high-end GPUs for SLI/Crossfire was to throw it in dark1x's face whenever he brings up how PS3 is amazing 'cuz it wasn't  really possible to play many PC games with max graphics at 1080p/60fps

But seriously, this is probably a better deal than either console for people with decent CPUs,

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/announcing-the-geforce-gtx-holiday-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

[/quote]

Out of all the recent negative press, I find myself believing reports about esram being an actual bottleneck when it comes to resolution the most. And barring a breakthrough in game development, I can see it being a persistent issue.

I don't think it's why Xbone can't display 1080p though.  There were a few true 1080P games on the 360 even though it got similar esram too. 

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
BF4 Xbone is 720p and looks better than PS4 900p :rofl

720p looks better than 900p because TVs are better at scaling a 720p image up to 1080p.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
Never mind, it's explained in the article...

This leads us to a second issue that affects both console releases: gamma levels. We went into the review event having never hooked up our equipment to either next-gen platform before, and our tests with BF4 gave some curious results we want to revisit with the final game on retail hardware. Similar to the Xbox 360, Microsoft's new platform seems to enforce a colour push towards the lower end, leaving us with more saturated colours and deeper blacks. It's just cause to head towards Battlefield 4's brightness settings, but in the interest of a fair test we kept this at the default 30 per cent for all platforms.

Curiously, the top end is also affected, causing the image to appear distinctly washed out, as if set to limited range. This is particularly evident on PS4, which is kept free of a comparable black push to Microsoft's platform to compensate. Right now there's every possibility that it could be a capture situation, but it is worth noting that we saw no such issue on our PC captures and after returning to base, the same equipment produced a perfectly balanced picture on our PlayStation 3.

Most will probably overlook this, and I'm glad for that. Them snaggots need to be drowned in a deluge of trolls. :hitler
Unzip

Sho Nuff

« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:14 AM »
BF4 Xbone is 720p and looks better than PS4 900p :rofl

720p looks better than 900p because TVs are better at scaling a 720p image up to 1080p.

By the way I hope you realize that what I said is 100% certifiable bullshit

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »
I don't think it's why Xbone can't display 1080p though.  There were a few true 1080P games on the 360 even though it got similar esram too. 

There was an explanation a while back about the differences between the esram and edram, and how the former might not enjoy all the benefits of the latter. On top of that someone who's tech savvier than myself explained how rendering, especially deferred, might be more difficult/restricted due to the esram (something something double rendering a scene something fillrate something 32mb restriction).
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:44 AM »
I actually find the ps4 version looks better. In the under water shots, for example, the seat belt and other stuff are too dark whereas the ps4 version has more detail.
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »
Nobody sane is gonna give a fuck about any of this once they start blowing holes in that dam with a rocket launcher and flooding that town :hyper
sup

nudemacusers

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »
Frame rate differences are way more important that tiny graphical differences IMO

looks identical :yeshrug I can't really even pick out how the AO implementation is supposedly better on PS4.
I always knew you were a filthy xbot
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Himu

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
Yeah, I watched more, and the ps4 version looks more natural. Dude is in standing out in the middle of the day, and the other side of his body looks like it's almost night time. Tsk, tsk Shaka. Xbone version looks ridiculously dark to an almost hilarious degree.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2013, 12:27:01 AM »
I'm not playing this shit anyway

I'm going home and getting drunk and playing some 1080p Daytona USA

Himu

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
I'm not playing this shit anyway

:tocry

Please get the Ferrari license again, Sega :tocry
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »

The one true choice for any real man. Screw that next-gen console noise.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »
looks identical :yeshrug I can't really even pick out how the AO implementation is supposedly better on PS4.

yeah, PS4 looks nicer in a few instances (obv juding from youtube/screens) but both versions look totally fine if you're not looking for the differences.  360/PS3 versions, though  :holeup

case of xb1 version isn't as bad as people made it out to be, ps4 version isn't as good as people made it out to be.  solution: play on PC; there's even a bar to increase the internal res if 1080p ain't cutting it. 

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »
Yeah, I watched more, and the ps4 version looks more natural. Dude is in standing out in the middle of the day, and the other side of his body looks like it's almost night time. Tsk, tsk Shaka. Xbone version looks ridiculously dark to an almost hilarious degree.

That's not an intentional difference. Read the quote I posted— the xbone, much like the 360 and PS3 have access to the full range of RGB and pushes more saturated colors, deeper black, and brighter whites. Whereas the PS4 at this point is held back by a limited range, which could change since it's something adjusted at an OS level.

(This is all based on my understanding of the issue on current gen systems.)
Unzip

Smooth Groove

« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
Pretty surprising that PS4 had slightly better framerate in SP despite the higher resolution and AO effects.

Based on the theoretical differences, the gap shouldn't have been that bad.   Maybe that esram really is a killer achilles. 

Himu

« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2013, 12:30:49 AM »
Where can I find ps3 and 360 footage of BF4?
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2013, 12:31:16 AM »

case of xb1 version isn't as bad as people made it out to be, ps4 version isn't as good as people made it out to be.  solution: play on PC; there's even a bar to increase the internal res if 1080p ain't cutting it.

Like supersampling? 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »
Why are people splooging? They look pretty damn similar in the video. Xbone seems darker but that's about it.

cool breeze

« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »

Like supersampling?

yeah, I forgot what the option is called in the beta, but you can downsample right there in the game settings.  pretty nice to see.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »
XO looks better in EG vids.
cat

nudemacusers

« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2013, 12:43:26 AM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »

cool breeze

« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »
I kinda like that the PS4 version is brighter like that, i hate when everything looks saturated and black like a Michael Bay flick.

That's down to your TV settings and color range.  You can get those XB1 crushed blacks on PS4, or that PS4 washed out look on XB1.

digital foundry always had that problem when showcasing the differences.  it's weird that it's carried over to the next systems.

edit: it's funny that the hud is bigger in the XB1 version.  could've at least scaled it down.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:03:03 AM by fryinghigh »

nudemacusers

« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2013, 12:52:38 AM »
honestly as a mac poor the game look pretty amazing to me regardless of system :yeshrug

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »
Framerate is the most important thing in MP, to me. I always turned down effects and shit in MP PC games to maximize, hated someone getting the drop on me because of a stutter.
sup

nudemacusers

« Reply #215 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:09 AM »
hah! I remember the good old days in Descent 2 switching door sounds around so they were more distinct; much easier to get the drop on people that way.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #216 on: October 29, 2013, 02:42:59 AM »
is i'dcutmydickofftobefamousonneogafmortimer gonna get his marching orders now after claiming the PS4 version was gonna be 1080p?

nudemacusers

« Reply #217 on: October 29, 2013, 02:57:49 AM »
does upscaled 1080p count?
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Sho Nuff

« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2013, 03:35:11 AM »
I don't have enough games about men shooting each other

Actually I am shocked that they bothered to include a single player campaign

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #219 on: October 29, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
Poor xbone, gen hasn't even started yet and they have half the resolution of PS4 already.

You must be a pretty big fanboy to pickup a bone over a PS4.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #220 on: October 29, 2013, 05:40:41 AM »
On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution

:heh
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2013, 06:21:21 AM »
This is a bit like when Wiitards where saying they like the look of 480p more.

Or when people say 24fps  > 60 fps and its more cinematic.

Xbone has lost this gen out of the gates on the tech front, it's clear.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #222 on: October 29, 2013, 06:24:22 AM »
Xbone version looks like someone messed with the tv and the jaggies  :-X :-X :-X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2013, 06:25:57 AM »
Jesus xbone really looks bad if you look at it, so many jaggies, look at those last gen plants :(

Vertigo

« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »
I was just on Gaf earlier and man are some of those guys spinning into the ground you can feel the disappointment and anger from some of the more pro Sony boys on there. That the knockout punch they've been drooling about didn't come. From reading some people's posts, I was expecting it to be an utter devastation, watching both of them I couldn't really tell a massive difference between them. They both look decent enough.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
This is a bit like when Wiitards where saying they like the look of 480p more.

Or when people say 24fps  > 60 fps and its more cinematic.

Xbone has lost this gen out of the gates on the tech front, it's clear.
Not a bad loss considering the competition is having trouble with Cerny's vision™.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:34 AM »
I think it's more xbots being in denial about how big the gap is already.

BF4 has no AA on xbone, and runs at half the resolution.  That's tragic.

PS4 is already running in circles around the Xbone, in a year or two games on Xbone will drop to sub HD again I bet.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2013, 06:46:39 AM »
Gap between the xbone and PS4 is like the gap between the xbox and ps2 it seems.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2013, 06:52:13 AM »
Quote from: TheD;87938361
It does not fucking matter if you like the look of the XB1 version more, it is OBJECTIVELY better on the PS4!
It has around an extra one half pixels over the XB1 version, it has effects that the XB1 version is lacking and has correct colour, unlike the XB1 version!

If you don't like it go invent a device that can take you to an alternate universe that has the XB1 as the better version, because it is not fucking true in this universe!

Holy shit @ the PS4fags meltdowns.

So they literally traded places this time around (I remember posts where people liked the PS3 version of a game even though it had some issues compared to the 360 and the 360 side getting mad. Also the PS3 side would use mental gymnastics) :heh.

As for this game PC version for me :smug
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:02:25 AM by Purple Filth »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2013, 07:01:13 AM »
I remember when I was 13 and thought I knew everything too
itm

huckleberry

« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:10 AM »
what the fuck is up with the contrasting videos and gifs? some of them make the bone version look betterish and some make the ps4 version look way better. those gifs that lager just posted are fucking crazy different than the videos put up by digital foundry...which are more accurate?
wub

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »
what the fuck is up with the contrasting videos and gifs? some of them make the bone version look betterish and some make the ps4 version look way better. those gifs that lager just posted are fucking crazy different than the videos put up by digital foundry...which are more accurate?

Who gives a flying fuck? 99% of you already made their decisions on what they are and aren't buying, so what's the point of all this?

To troll?

Kosma's lips are so tightly wrapped around the Sony cock that it's embarrassing.  I hope I never become an unpaid corporate shill.
🍆🍆

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2013, 07:33:40 AM »
QQ more Kosma:

(Image removed from quote.)

:punch :gun :punch

Yeah Xbone version will take a FPS hit there.

Good jon MS

huckleberry

« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »

Who gives a flying fuck? 99% of you already made their decisions on what they are and aren't buying, so what's the point of all this?

easy with the 'tude hoss.

im genuinely curious...i dont give a 'flying fuck' about the trolling aspect.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:37:17 AM by halgorithmic »
wub

Rahxephon91

« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
Why would PS4 fanboys feel bad? The PS4 version looks better. It's clearly the better version. Look at those screens Lager posted. It's not night and day, but it has no jaggies

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »
Xbots   :'(

Digital Foundry Admits To Botching Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Video Capature

http://n4g.com/news/1382809/digital-foundry-admits-to-botching-battlefield-4-ps4-xb1-video-capature#selcomment

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #236 on: October 29, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »
They're saying that it's almost impossible to see a difference between PS4 and PC version. They compared it to BF4 running on a high-end PC with a "pretty expensive Radeon card". They're also expecting that if you're an owner of a PC that costs less than 1000€ then it will look worse than on PS4 if you want to target 60fps. 60fps is almost perfectly available in PS4 version. Given the low price of the PS4, they say that this definitely speaks for the console and against the PC version. In this video the PS4 version looks brighter due to the recording that they're using. There are some effects like water drops on the windscreen that are missing in the PC version even though they are available for PS4. Shadows, level of detail, etc are indistinguishable. Game runs smoothly even in "bombastic scenes"

The conclusion: They're recommending the PS4 version because of the 400€ price point for the hardware.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-4-PC-238749/Videos/Battlefield-4-Vergleichsvideo-PC-vs-PS4-x-Wie-gut-ist-Next-Gen-wirklich-1094755/

Himu

« Reply #237 on: October 29, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
Jesus I love this shit. Everyone is running around like ants trying to get that tasty sugary morsel. Ahahahahhaa.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #238 on: October 29, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
Xbone
-720p
-No AA
-No AO
-Worse FPS

PS4