Author Topic: Official MMO Thread  (Read 108596 times)

Re: Double Official MMO Thread of News, Information, and NO GUILD WARS 2
« Reply #480 on: June 15, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
Ah, okay. I'm on Ultros with the gaf guild.

Heavensward preordered.  Ready to do something other than farm the same bosses forever, though I still have to clear T7-T9 savage.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »
FFXIV is the best MMO out there. It's not all single player focused. They make group instances part of the story, for better or worse.

Freyj

« Reply #482 on: June 16, 2015, 01:07:23 AM »
A required part of the story with timed runs that a "brb smoke" tank can fuck up pretty hard for you.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #483 on: June 16, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
I think Limsa is the best city of the three.

« Reply #484 on: June 16, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Played for a few hours. My impression:

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm a bit annoyed I haven't interacted with a single player even once. I've seen very little chat activity also. Ul'Dah or whatever it's called is a shit-tier city. It's a dull, ugly, too big city.
Most chat activity goes on in private chats (linkshells) instead of out in the open. I learned to appreciate that after realizing how dumb a lot of an MMO playerbase can be.

Ul'dah has my favorite NPCs out of tbr three cities. It used to be a lot more popular hang out spot, but recent story events actually made a lot of players feel uncomfortable hanging around Ul'dah. The people that remain there are usually at the area with the market board on the right side of the city.

Limsa's more immediately popular cause the Aetheryte (for teleporting) and market board are right next to each other.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #485 on: June 16, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
Also pirates. And the city just looks cooler to me. And the broad in charge there gives no fucks.

Though I guess Raubahn gives the least fucks...

« Reply #486 on: June 16, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
That thing is more way complicated an explanation than it needs to be. Just think of Jobs as Class Upgrades/Changes from FF1.

Gladiator > Paladin
Marauder > Warrior
Thaumaturge > Black Mage
Conjurer > White Mage
Lancer > Dragoon

etc. You need level 30 in the main class and level 15 in a sub-class to unlock the Job specialization. When you get a job crystal and equip it, you're basically leveling the base class as well, but no one past level 30 plays as the base classes so that's a moot point.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:32:26 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

« Reply #487 on: June 16, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
Warrior is generally more fun than Paladin, yeah (I say that as a Paladin main). The initial gladiator job quests are much better at teaching how to tank though, plus Gladiator learns two skills that are very useful for tanking that you can cross-class on Marauder/Warrior (Flash and Provoke).

Just get gladiator to 15 and you can airship to Limsa Lominsa, where you can join the Marauder guild.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:59:40 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

« Reply #488 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »
Warriors don't need shields.  8)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #489 on: June 16, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »
You get an item to fully redo your character (race, gender, look, etc) once you sub for a month. Might be worth waiting a bit for the xpac in case you wanna be a dragonman.

Warrior is a super cool tank.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #490 on: June 16, 2015, 04:25:59 PM »
Also damn I forgot how weird the layout is on the default HUD. I changed mine and haven't looked back since.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

« Reply #491 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
ffxiv is a great game but has the two worst races of all time.

cat girls and cat girls 2.0

disgusting

(elins are actually worse but w/e)
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #492 on: June 16, 2015, 05:47:55 PM »
Catgirls rule. Fuck yall  :maf

« Reply #493 on: June 17, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
Are you still doing the initial quests in the city? Those are specifically there to teach new players basic stuff like how to interact with the UI and stuff. You can just go to your guild, pick up the combat quest and waltz outside if you want to.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #494 on: June 17, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
Don't expect the world chat to ever change. I can't remember the last time I chatted outside of an FC/Linkshell/Party

Once you hit 10+, always be in queue for a Guildhest as well. They're short (less than 5min) instances that teach people how to play the game but they also give good XP. As a tank you'll probably get a gil and XP bonus for queuing for them as well.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #495 on: June 17, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
Vignetting. I don't know why devs feel the need to emulate these things. Chromatic aberration, too.

studyguy

« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
All this info about the expansion getting data mined and I leave for a week long vacation today.
 :tocry :tocry :tocry

Buy a preorder and be gone for early access brehs
 :goty
pause

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
I just want to unlock Machinst and then immediately go to relevel because I hate myself.

e: if i thought ahead i would have grabbed some L30 gear for my new job. But I don't know what stats MCH uses.  :(
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:47:32 AM by nachobro »

« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2015, 12:36:05 PM »
Dex. They already said that Machinist would use Bard gear for everything pre-50.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #499 on: June 18, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »
Well sweet. I got plenty of 30-50 BRD gear already. I'd been meaning to sell it after getting ilvl 90/100 gear but didn't bother. Now I'm glad!

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #500 on: June 18, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »
u spoony machinist

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #501 on: June 18, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
hey man, i'm just joining the industrial revolution. bows and songs are good and all....but guns and robots are cooler.

studyguy

« Reply #502 on: June 18, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
SMN seems way, way too fucking strong from a glance.
BLM getting beat the fuck out
pause

« Reply #503 on: June 18, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
Nah, its just balancing the jobs. Even I'll agree that I loved having Black Mages in dungeons for the flare spam and hated when we got Monks.

Summoner's getting shit it needed to stay on par with other jobs.

studyguy

« Reply #504 on: June 18, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
Flare got fucking rekt.
As did Holy, WHM and Scholar.
Lustrate taking a solid kick to the dick.

Good thing I don't heal. It seems like they're doing everything they can to ensure they HEAL and nothing but.
pause

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #505 on: June 18, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
Healer DPS seems to be getting nerfed, which is a bummer. Being able to do both was why I wanted to try out a healer.

e: what you said.

« Reply #506 on: June 18, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
I'm just seeing a refocusing on healer dps. Holy was one of the best AoE spells bar none, and they need to balance that with the new Healer job being introduced. If they wanted to outright destroy healer DPS, they wouldn't be giving WHM Stone 3, Aero 3 and Assize.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #507 on: June 18, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
For an irl shut-in you sure seem hung up on digital interaction. :iface

« Reply #508 on: June 18, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
If you're looking for deep, meaningful interactions between players, then you're looking at the wrong game imo.

None of the dungeons require a high level of coordination, so duty finder groups aren't a particularly interesting affair unless you take initiative. However, once you hit the extreme primals and binding coil of bahamut raid, you'll see a jump in difficulty. For these, you'll want to join a linkshell or guild so you can round up competent players.

Open world bosses, or "hunts", consist of dozens of players rushing to a location to melt a boss down, followed by people crying "WHY DIDN'T YOU WAIT UGH" in chat because they couldn't get a hit in during the ten seconds of combat.

FATEs are like GW2's dynamic events, meant to get multiple players together to do a thing, except in FFXIV that thing is never mechanically interesting, and thus isn't fun.

FFXIV's competitive PVP modes are also pure basura, which is reflected in the long as fuck queue times.

You'll get the most out of the MMO aspect if you're heavy into crafting, but even then you'll reach a point where you don't need the help of other players since you can max out all crafting professions. They're adding specializations to Heavensward, so this might not be any issue anymore.

edit: re: rage in premade groups, I've heard tales of the most populated servers being filled with humorless giganerds who get easily bent out of shape if you make a mistake.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:03:28 PM by doctavius bonbon »

« Reply #509 on: June 18, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
I think dynamic events can work. They just need to be mechanically interesting so that players would actually have acknowledge the presence of other human beings. I really liked the new world bosses and events in GW2 because of this. Making the world feel more alive is more of a consequence of embracing the multiplayer aspect of your game.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #510 on: June 18, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
If you want player interaction the only way is to join an FC or linkshell, basically.

« Reply #511 on: June 18, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
p. much.

Kara

« Reply #512 on: June 18, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
For an irl shut-in you sure seem hung up on digital interaction. :iface

Isn't that how almost all shut-ins are. :iface

I hate interacting with people in MMOs. :smug

studyguy

« Reply #513 on: June 18, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »
You can get a fuckton of interaction with your FC/Linkshells though.
I have like 5 or 6 with idiots talking all day doing whatever.

Then again you can just PUG everything and be a shitter like that if you're failing at the bare essentials of social etiquette
pause

Kara

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #515 on: June 18, 2015, 11:22:58 PM »
I thought that was gonna be that thread about the catgirls not having big enough asses

« Reply #516 on: June 19, 2015, 04:00:57 AM »
Don't worry, we have assize now. 

:rejoice

« Reply #517 on: June 19, 2015, 04:41:02 AM »
I was originally follow naming conventions for my cat boy, but having every single cat with only two possible last names was so boring.

Only 30 minutes left until the servers die forever Early Access!

Kara

« Reply #518 on: June 19, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
I was originally follow naming conventions for my cat boy, but having every single cat with only two possible last names was so boring.

Some secrets should stay secret, even under the aegis of internet pseudo-anonymity.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #519 on: June 19, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
Don't worry, we have assize now. 

:rejoice
Best expansion (lol) ever!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #520 on: June 19, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
I log in by single clicking my character's name iirc. Then it brings up a box which asks me to confirm.

Now I'm not sure. Will have to check when I get back

Kara

« Reply #521 on: June 19, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
I think I may have started my character on an (unofficial) french speaking server :beli

À la recherche de soirée perdue. :preach

« Reply #522 on: June 19, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
Need a referral code? You get shit once you buy a 30 day sub to help you level, as well as a circlet for bonus exp, a fist bump emote and 99 free teleports.

And i get one step closer to getting a sweet mount.  :mouf
[close]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:44:23 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #523 on: June 21, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »
I just play it as a video game  :yeshrug

Kara

« Reply #524 on: June 21, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »

« Reply #525 on: June 23, 2015, 04:42:25 AM »
Let me refer your account before you buy any game time so we I can get cool shit.  >:(

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
Hard to tell since I'm not at max level but MCH dps seems...low. It definitely feels lower than BRD was.

« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
That seems to be the general consensus on MCH. Currently the lowest DPS in the game and for no particular trade-off, something that'll likely need addressing.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
Yeah I'd be happy with low DPS if there was good support tools to make up for it. But the turrets are just passable and our Foe's Requiem equivalent lasts for like 15 seconds total.  :yuck

Plus our main rotation is entirely RNG based.  :(

« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »
Did... you attune to the aetheryte in Limsa? It takes 3 seconds to teleport back.

« Reply #530 on: June 24, 2015, 04:19:36 AM »
re: ffxiv heavensward

jesus christ that final fight was insane.  :hyper

« Reply #531 on: June 24, 2015, 04:35:16 AM »
I'm not 100% sure if I'm gonna play after these first 30 days but all you need is to email me for that no? PM me then

Check ya PMs.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #532 on: June 24, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »
I'm having more fun now but it's still not WoW-tier for me.

Here's what I think is really dumb.

From what I've seen, the max level shit, it seems pretty complicated, the combat. I see screens covered with buttons. But from level 1, it only gives you one action button. They might say it's to let you get used to things and keep it simple. Why would you do that knowing this shit gets complicated eventually? It seems to me that if you can't handle MORE THAN ONE ABILITY at level 1, how the hell are you gonna manage a ton of abilities at max level? It makes no sense to have the early levels so utterly dumbed down. It would be much better to introduce the complexity as soon as possible so you can get used to it. Level 1 should have started with a bunch of abilities and then build stuff on top of that. Especially because it makes no sense. For example the first ability as gladiator is spammed at level 1, but then you learn another ability that combo's with the first ability. So you end up doing ability 1 -> 2 -> 1 -> 2, etc, instead of just spamming 1 all the time. Why not do that from the beginning? The first level is utterly pointless because it teaches you nothing. You probably won't ever spam the first ability like that. Shit makes no sense.

Anyways I've leveled to gladiator to 16 and I just hit level 15 as marauder. I think marauder is more fun early on. A bunch of cool abilities. I love the stun, big axe swinging animation. I still hope it gets better though. Dungeons are super awkward without proper aggro abilities. Events are awkward too. I ended up fighting together with someone with an event, then we parted ways, having said nothing to each other the whole time. >:(

what game is this?

« Reply #533 on: June 24, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
You gotta consider that for a LOT of people, this their first MMO. FF14 tries to soften the initial sensory overload a lot of people have in regards to playing MMOs with the traditional stereotype being having screens loaded with bars for actions and shit. I agree that having only one action is kinda dumb, but considering the average skill level of a lot of people in endgame, I don't blame them for trying to make shit as simple to understand as possible.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #534 on: June 24, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
Yeah it's basically just an FF game that happens to also be an MMO. Same as 11. It's designed around being Final Fantasy first and foremost.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #535 on: June 24, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
Does it have raids/dungeons and party play?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #536 on: June 24, 2015, 04:22:50 PM »
Raids/dungeons yes. There's no real reason to party up other than those though.

Most of the dungeons are also weaved into the main story as well, which is nice. There are also tiny, one boss dungeons called Trials where you fight an FF summon as part of the story. The big raid in 2.0 had it's own side storyline which was surprisingly well done too.

Freyj

« Reply #537 on: June 24, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
XIV had/has an ability bloat issue that WoW has done a decent job of eliminating in recent years. What's worse, a lot of those abilities are just flavors of the same CD. Combat that revolves around timed use of a shitload of CDs kind of fucking sucks.

SWTOR has the same problem though, with a lot of "here's an early level ability that you'll never ever use by the time you're level 30".

WoW is in a pretty bad place right now, but god damn if the introduction to abilities / rotations isn't as good as it's ever been.

Freyj

« Reply #538 on: June 25, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »
I've heard a lot of complaints about Fury Warrior, but most classes were cleaned up quite well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:47:01 PM by Freyj »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #539 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
Prot Paladin became even more boring and lost a lot of utility/dps. Fuck Blizzard balancing for the lowest common denominator