Author Topic: Official MMO Thread  (Read 107580 times)

etiolate

Re: Double Official MMO Thread of News, Information, and NO GUILD WARS 2
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Wildstar beta still has a lot of bugs. =|

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #241 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Damn, WoW has gotten dead lately. I was there when 5.4 hit and it was amazing. Lots of server queues as well. Now everything is so lifeless. It's really kind of sad. And weird because WoD is still months away, and there probably isn't going to be a 5.5 in the meantime.

Last time I played was mid-2005! :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/defiance-will-flip-the-f2p-switch-this-summer/

Defiance going F2P in June. It was B2P but I didn't see a lot of PR or attention put towards it post-launch, so i wonder if people even still knew it existed and was B2P?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/guild-wars-2-begins-chinese-open-beta/

Guild Wars 2 starts Open Beta/Early Access. Two weeks later is the official Chinese Launch. 500k Early Access copies sold so far.

It's the first "purchasable" B2P MMO in China. Curious to see how staying with that approach holds up in the market.

I dropped in to post this. Here's the community link for it:
http://community.defiance.com/en/2014/05/01/defiance-free-to-play-arrives-june-4/

etiolate

« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
yeah WoW subs dropped again, but that's no surprise

I'm kind of curious if GW2 China Launch ends up eating at their China "subs", which are at least 50% of their sub numbers. The continued content drought won't help them either.

Other news:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/06/wildstars-open-beta-starts-may-8/

Wildstar open beta is May 8th.

I did the beta again over the weekend. I tend to tire out with the questing at around level 10 in each beta. I did finally find some interesting PVE content on the Exiles side with the Celestial Falls. Explorer Path opened up a Alice in Wonderland quest, along with a mushroom jumping trial. It's too bad the majority of questing is such busywork.

« Reply #244 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
I'll be playing again over the course of the open beta.  Just going to continue my engineer so I can get the fuck out of the low level zones asap. 

etiolate

« Reply #245 on: May 06, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
Will you be able to do that? I had to make a new beta account each weekend. The previous beta account was locked out. I am not sure my first character still exists.

« Reply #246 on: May 06, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
???

I've been using the same account since I first started playing the beta months ago.

etiolate

« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
You must have a different sort of beta account. I could not use my first beta account in any of the recent betas.

I didn't really enjoy Esper anyways. It has some nice burst combos, but lacks mobility. I played Medic last weekend and it felt a lot better. Very mobile with a conal heal that has no cooldown and no resource cost.

« Reply #248 on: May 07, 2014, 01:39:40 AM »
re: Archeage

Can't believe how many dudes are dropping $150 to play an alpha for a F2P game with barely any impressions.

If I were a developer prior to this, and someone came up to me with the idea of having players pay big bucks to test my game, I would have called them fucking brain dead.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:42:18 AM by doctavius bonbon »

etiolate

« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
I want to try out the sailing in Archeage. It seems like the coolest thing in the game. Want to make a small, quick ship and go deep sea treasure hunting and fishing.

« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »
scratch that, i'll be rolling another exile dude to play with some buddies on nexus. hoping we'll get past the boring shit quick enough. 

just gimme a buzz on steam when the servers go live and i'll send you an invite, etoilet~
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:38:28 AM by doctavius bonbon »

etiolate

« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2014, 02:33:44 AM »
Exile side questing seemed better to me. Celestial Lake or whatever its called had cool Explorer quests.

etiolate

« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
Going to try to level to the point that I can try out housing in Wildstar. I think I was level 12 when the servers went down last night. I like parts of the game. The combat is pretty good, the classes have a bit too much overlap in how they play, but I enjoy Medic. It's like a mobile holy shock pally, I suppose? Not a fan of deflect stats and hidden dice rolls in a action combat game though.

As has been said, the questing and a lot of stuff is circa 3-5 years ago. Explorer path stuff is cool. The fact paths can be shared with others is nice, but it makes me wonder why the whole game wasn't designed around the far more interesting PVE content like that instead of filling up XP bars with kill/collect hand-ins and breadcrumb design. They also include shared mob tagging without designing their open world PVE content around that sort of system. Getting into that issue would involve nitty-gritty MMO talk that bores poeple, but I do wonder as to Carbine's mentality about the whole thing. They fought against the community on this and I just don't see why. They said something alone the lines of "when you do that then its like everyone's playing alone together", but partying up did not help us much with getting group credit. It's still MMO questing designed for single player usage.

I will probably try Adventures or Dungeons, but I burned out on dungeon focused play years ago. Adventures might be enough of a departure to get me into them.

PVP is basically a MOBA. They even shift your camera view to top-down like in your LoL or DOTA. You're watching telegraphs on top of telegraphs and Y axis doesn't come into play. In fact, I haven't found a class that can shoot up or down at a target yet. I should try Spell Slinger just to test this, but Medic is OP in early PVP since it takes like 4-5 people to kill you, I still plan to make an Aurin Slinger named BugsGunny. *dealwiifit*

« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
bugsgunny.

:snoop

you are worse than hitler.

adventure zones are pretty sweet though. get to 15 so we can party again.

Freyj

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
installing wildstar during open beta with no hype or clue what the game is about

etiolate

« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2014, 04:54:11 AM »
its basically WoW with a Ratchet n Clank theme

etiolate

« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »
OK got to level 14 and dropped 3g on my housing plot. Don't be jelly. I got a moonshine still and a garden.

Also did a ship hand event thing that was at least not questing. It wouldn't let mej loot the boss tho.

Oh and BugsGunny is born and he is frightening.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:11:03 PM by etiolate »

Freyj

« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
Made it through the first real zone (Crimson Shores?) with a Drakan Warrior / Explorer. Going to do the same deal with Human Spellslinger / Scientiest and Something Stalker / Settler.

Like what I played, which is more than I can say for most MMOs these days. Don't really care that questing is samey, given that no one has developed a proper solution to the core problem / tedium of questing as of yet.

Not super impressed with the world. Seamless zones should have been the standard years ago, but oh well.

etiolate

« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »
Made it through the first real zone (Crimson Shores?) with a Drakan Warrior / Explorer. Going to do the same deal with Human Spellslinger / Scientiest and Something Stalker / Settler.

Like what I played, which is more than I can say for most MMOs these days. Don't really care that questing is samey, given that no one has developed a proper solution to the core problem / tedium of questing as of yet.

Not super impressed with the world. Seamless zones should have been the standard years ago, but oh well.

guild wars 2

muwhahahahaa

The world is pretty seamless. Are you still in the tutorial area?

« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
Welp.

First dungeon fucking owns. Lots of neat boss mechanics for an intro dungeon. Even the trash mobs have special abilities that can wipe your group if you aren't careful.

Freyj

« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »

guild wars 2

muwhahahahaa

The world is pretty seamless. Are you still in the tutorial area?

I made it off the drop ship and through the first on planet area. Not sure if that's still considered "tutorial"?

I saw something about the game opening up a lot between 20-40.

Damian79

« Reply #261 on: May 11, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
Man what i hear about Elder Scrolls Online PVP makes me want to go back to it.  Boiling oil and trebuchets seems fun.  My friend got like 25 kills with one trebuchet within the space of 2 minutes because he lined up his trebuchet to go through a window where the enemy was gathering.  Becoming emperor seems op though.

Freyj

« Reply #262 on: May 11, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
Didn't care for Spellslinger much, but liked Stalker a lot. I'll spend some more time with Stalker and Warrior before I decide to drop any money on this.

Open Betas, preventing me from spending anything on MMOs for eons.

etiolate

« Reply #263 on: May 11, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
Docbon keeping MMOs alive.

I am level 15 now. Got a 5 person quest that is either the adventure or the quest to open it.

« Reply #264 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
Only for the first month.

I'm glad I decided to try the tank role while the game is still in beta. I did pretty horrible my first two runs, but no one really got mad because they had no idea what was going on either.

Got the fundamentals down pretty quickly though. Now I must become the ~best tank NA~

p.s. hit me up when you do the adventures, and I'll join you.

« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
Found a personal dungeon fabkit at the end of a group dungeon run.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

:lawd

etiolate

« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »
Is it an actual dungeon?

I have a distillery fabkit that I put up and jumping in the tub of grapes starts a challenge to brew moonshine.

« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
Yeah, it's a scalable mini dungeon, though the scaling doesn't seem to work at the moment.

When you complete it, you get dyes or housing stuff.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
Kinda want to play more FFXIV but leveling another job to 50 is a chore  :-\

I tried hopping back into GW2 but either its all different or I've completely forgotten how to play Necromancer. Like, almost none of the menus or spells made any damn sense to me.

etiolate

« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
When did you last play? There's been some Necro changes, but not an total overhaul.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
Last time I played the normal game daily was about 2-3 months after launch. I popped back in to play Super Adventure Box but haven't touched it since then.

I just want to play an MMO but I'm a cheapass. Downloading Wildstar now to check it out.

etiolate

« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
Well Deathshroud got a new ability and some skills got tweaked, along with traits. The biggest difference is likely the inclusion of the Torment condition.

« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that out of WoW, ESO, GW2 and Wildstar, Wildstar has the most shit art direction. I appreciate the cartoon style, but not the actual style. I see some Neogaffers comparing Wildstar to WoW. Wildstar wishes it had the artists WoW has. The environments have weird colors and the biggest offenders are the really the immensely shitty character designs, despite the expressive animation.

I can agree with this.

Aurins in particular look like some abominable jazz jackrabbit yiffspawn. :yuck

And they move like roaches.

etiolate

« Reply #273 on: May 13, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #274 on: May 13, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
yiff in hell, furfeg
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2014, 11:25:13 PM »
Tail looks like a chainsaw.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #276 on: May 13, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Makes me think of that weird shooter thing that SE cancelled a while back. I GOT FUNK IN MY JUNK
Hi

Freyj

« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
Aaaand think I'm done with Wildstar. Not doing much for me anymore. PvP was loads more fun than questing, even if the world did improve by the second full zone.

There's a lot of UI work that needs to be done on this though. Crucially so. It's sort of funny how over the top the Level Up notification is, but any other event is practically invisible (completion of a quest, etc.). There's no sense of weight to the combat either. Everything just kind of happens without much in the way of visual or auditory clues outside of telegraphs. An over-reliance on telegraphs is probably the primary party at fault here.

Generally speaking about combat, Tera was a better experience (unfortunately that's all Tera had going for it).

etiolate

« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:36 PM »
Ex Blizz people leave to do something they can't do at Blizzard. I am not sure what in Wildstar they couldn't do at Blizz.

I've really struggled to get to 20 in the game. I'm not enjoying it at this point, but I want to give the dungeons a go. I'm only lvel 19 with a couple of bars left. I'm either stuck playing the subpar PvP, doing the mostly boring questing or repeating the same Adventure again. So much of the game moves and breathes in the WoW atmosphere. I am not sure how to explain it, but the fact that PVE is mostly tiresome and then 'oh fun' was always my experience in WoW. The gated content, boss designs and all feel very much in the WoW line of thinking. GW2 doesn't always succeed in making a good dungeon encounter around its action combat, but it at least engages the issue. I feel like Wildstar avoids the issue. It's mostly crazy Telegraphs along with familiar designs. This is why I am trying to get to the first dungeon to see if it really challenges the old approach.

I don't think its a good sign that I'm enjoying leveling my GW2 alts through zones I've been to many, many times more than I am leveling in a brand new game world.

« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2014, 01:20:08 AM »
let me know when you do hit 20, and i'll tank the two dungeons for you.

etiolate

« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2014, 04:26:33 AM »
Alright hit 20. I'll do a dungeon tomorrow. I still haven't bought a mount. Feel like I might as well wait for the Hoverboard.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Yeah Wildstar is pretty boring. And ugly. I'm just gonna play XIV instead.

etiolate

« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
Did both Dungeons with Docbon yesterday. There was some cool boss stuff in there. We got hung up on a trash mob because of one or two parts of the fight.

Healing in W* is different. It's less sleepwalk friendly than say WoW. I found it hard to heal both the tank and DPS at the edge taking damage. It didn't help that my UI for namebars crashed mid-dungeon. I switched around my action bar setup as we went to make it more functional for the dungeon. You also need your group to position correctly at times. To cleanse an entire group, I need them all lined up in front of me.

As for the game's art, I don't have a problem with it. The Aurin run animation is pretty durpy tho. Some SS of some nice art touches, namely the giant flowers.

Optimization is more a prob than the art. Ranging anywhere from 8-35 fps on low settings.

warning: huge

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
Now that the final boss for Kel'Vorath was fixed, I find it super fun.  Wasn't expecting the bullet hell towards the end of the fight at all.

etiolate

« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
oh child

Freyj

« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
I've been logging into Guild Wars lately but haven't really gotten into it yet. Logged in just now on a new character in pre-searing. Fucking amazing. The engine has aged very well and the ambient sounds are really nice too. This is something WoW completely fails on. WoW has nice music but shit ambient sounds. Guild Wars had both, yo.

I hope I can get into it again because, fuck, at this point it's an amazing game compared to some of the shit of this day and age, especially Guild Wars fucking 2. Fucking fuck that shit game. And fuck etoilet for peddling that shit. Fucking disgusting. We went from an original game that did its own thing to a half-assed WoW clone with an absolute shit combat system.

Ambient music is dead in MMOs.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
Tanaris...

I forgot the name of the dungeon that's near it, iirc it's a lv30 or lv40 one. It's one of the few outside dungeons and has some truly epic moments, fighting on pyramids and shit. Really liked it back in the day.

etiolate

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
Zul Furrak. I always preferred the troll dungeons.

etiolate

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
That gaf thread about selling your account makes me wish I had sold my WoW account. It's probably not worth much now. If I could get enough money for the account to build a new PC right now, I'd do it. I think the ebay market got shutdown though.

Also, Kripp's video on Wildstar is pathetic. What a whore. He must have some contract with Blizz over Hearthstone, because ain't nobody excited for Warlords of Draenor.

Freyj

« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
Ebay market got shutdown eons ago.

Had a guy in our vanilla guild that regularly leveled Dwarf Priests and sold for 2k+ every month or so.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »
Speaking of which late last week I got an email saying my WoW character had successfully transferred to another server for $55. I freaked out and checked my bank account, but realized only my Blizzard was hacked. They caught it within hours and rescinded the transfer. I'm going to have to contact them and make sure nothing else was lost, and I'm curious if my Diablo 3 stuff was fucked with.

I deleted WoW from my computer a few months ago though so I won't be able to directly check that everything was returned. I'd sell my character, I'd imagine it could make some quick bucks...but part me is holding out, hoping that the game goes F2P one day.

etiolate

« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2014, 11:36:43 PM »
even if F2P, wow would still be the same game

aka

Stop being a puss and get GW2 PD

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »
Ill jump back onboard when they make vanilla servers.

That fight on the top of the stairs in Zul Farrak was :drool

Also, Kripp's video on Wildstar is pathetic. What a whore. He must have some contract with Blizz over Hearthstone, because ain't nobody excited for Warlords of Draenor.

I can see old guildie logging in again when I play Hearthstone...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:00:59 AM by Lagerless »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Nah Kripp has had run ins with Blizzard, he's not a slappy. He wore a PoE shirt to a Hearthstone live tournament and they made him wear a jacket over it. He didn't get a Reaper of Souls beta key from them either, despite being a top streamer. And once he got a beta key from another player he pretty much shat on the game. Which is partially why I haven't bought it.

Kripp likes anything with numbers. Hearthstone looks boring to me but he's really into it. But he'll burn himself out, like he always does, and then find a new game.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
So what's the dealio with Landmark? Is it worth playing and how does it tie into EQN?
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
Landmark is minecraft right now. You gather, mold and build. Its a way for them to test stuff out. I believe the stuff you make can be eventually put into EQN. Landmark will eventually get combat put in at some point as well. When the do, I'll hop back into it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:04:06 PM by etiolate »

« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
I believe the stuff you make can be eventually put into EQN.

Any idea of how this works? Dota 2 gives a cut of their revenue to item contributors, so I'm wondering if EQ Next has something similar in place. I hope it isn't just being used as a source of free labor.

etiolate

« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2014, 04:32:03 PM »
I believe that creators of structures that get put into the n-game catalog get a cut of the money when people buy the item.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
EQN looks horrible with that art design.

Another cartoony game yaaawn.

etiolate

« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
didn't you play a ton of wow