Author Topic: Official MMO Thread  (Read 108501 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Double Official MMO Thread of News, Information, and NO GUILD WARS 2
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Treesong, kill this thread. It's got the sickness now.
yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
I think it's time to officially ban GW2 from The Bore.

NC Soft, as PlayNC, is one of the companies making ContentID claims against YouTube reviews. Angry Joe gave GW2 a 10/10 and now NC Soft has claimed his review content and rejected his disputes:
https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/421631687764627456
https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/421630568321646592
https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/421630045824630784

It's fucking BEYOND ME how anyone could give GW2 a 10 OUT OF MOTHERFUCKING 10. I hope NCSoft makes him suffer.

Even the people who make Guild Wars 2 are sick of their fans talking about Guild Wars 2.
乱学者

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
Maybe NCsoft could order Etiolate to stop

etiolate

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
How can I hold

all your butthurt

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
Wow, surprised to hear the GAF GW2 guild is so successful. Leading up to launch I was getting the impression that a lot of them were quite obnoxious.

I definitely agree that the healthiest guilds tend to have the most variety, interest wise. Guild that are 100% raid focused can easily crumble due to the drama I discussed earlier, or due to people leaving to join more successful guilds. At its peak, the best guild I was in features a solid amount of raiders and PVP folks, plus some of the very casual types who often help guilds work well; ie the person (usually an older dude, or a lady) who just wants to fish, enchant items, handle the bank, etc all while being the nicest most drama free person online.

After I left the guild Etoilet mentioned (was it The Short Story?), I wound up joining a very friendly, family oriented guild. I had a great time there but ultimately left due to poor raiding and scheduling; people were getting home from work at 1AM and starting raids, and I just couldn't deal with that after awhile. I wound up leaving for the guild I talked about earlier.

To make a long story short, I wound up returning to the friendly family guild for my final months of WoW/MoP, and had one of my more memorable (and weird) moments of my playing time. I was helping one of the guild members do a low level dungeon, and we were just shooting the shit. He mentioned that he got into WoW by watching his parents raid with me, back in 2008/2009. Turns out he's the 10yr old son of the new guild leaders, a married couple. I remember when they joined the guild back in 2008, they seemed like newbs but they were very nice. Horrible raiders - as in, doing like 200 dps or something in Naxx. But they were the type of WoW players who just...play. They leveled alts, mastered all the professions, kept the bank in order, did PVP, etc. They wound up taking over the guild after the original leader left in 2010, and completely rebuilt what was once a small guild into a big, family guild.

Some of the absolute nicest people I met in WoW were married couples. I don't know if you remember Yoggie (prot pally) and Star (shaman)...they were in Extirpation but also did stuff with Renaissance. Really chill folks, and I would have loved to have been in a guild run by them.

Yulwei

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »
I was never in a guild in EQ as I only played the game with two other friends of mine.

I really liked the guild I was part of in the various Ragnarok Online private servers we played on from 2008 to 2010. Raids aren't really a thing in that game. Guilds in RO are  entirely social, centered around guild wars/territorial control (War of Emperium, as it is called in the game) or most commonly, a mix of both. The atmosphere was ALWAYS very laid back even in the midst of a large WoE battle. There was never any drama or anything super serious about the way we played. We grinded, collected items, took over PVP rooms and dabbled in WoE and boss hunting every now and then. We were a small guild (6~15 usually on during peak times), yet we did incredibly well in PvP and WoE because we communicated very well and just plain knew which mechanics in the game to abuse the most.

I played RO on and off for 10 years (2003~2013) and it is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I only played on the official servers for a little bit though. The official exp rates are fucking insane. I can't imagine ever playing that game on 1x/1x/1x rates. 3x is the absolute lowest I ever played, but usually stayed on servers that were 7x and up.

Around mid 2013 is when I moved on from the game for good, and I am now waiting on a spiritual successor called Tree Of Savior, which I hope will get me back into MMOs by not being too grindy and being a worthy successor to Ragnarok Online.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:46:09 AM by Yulwei »

etiolate

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2014, 03:36:28 AM »
There was only one real obnoxious person in the GAF guild and that was Computer. He was the only person booted from the guild. Just imagine his posts spamming a guild chat.

PD: And yeah I sorta remember Yoggie. I feel like I should know other Shaman, but I can't even remember the names of the Shamans I played with right now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:38:48 AM by etiolate »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2014, 03:54:48 AM »
Treesong, kill this thread. It's got the sickness now.
Hi

archie4208

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
I was in an uber guild back in EQ1.  It was basically a job.  Never again.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »
Was fun back then no?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2014, 02:51:39 PM »
I can't imagine myself ever being a major major guild member, once I crawl back to MMOs. Too much work, burns you out, and is full of drama. I might just become "that guy" who runs the bank, helps everybody, etc.

At my raiding peak, we'd raid at 9PM on Tuesday, Thursday, and sometimes Friday. I enjoy the challenge of raiding: the bosses, the mechanics, getting new gear...but I hate the process of raiding. IE the downtime, the drama, the rage quits, raid leader yelling at people, etc. Some of the chillest raids I did were with a main tank (Yoggie) and healer who did the majority of the talking. Real calm, explaining strategies, switching things up after a wipe, etc. He wasn't our raid leader, but was largely in charge of getting shit done. When I became MT later on, the raid leader was the dominant voice. I was never good at being "the voice" basically. I'd tell people the strategy, switch things up, but during a boss encounter I'd be rather silent, focusing on my own job. Hence the raid leader taking over, yelling, complaining, etc.

I'm just a calm guy I guess. I can't control DPS or healers, I just focused on tanking.

etiolate

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »
Don't miss raiding at all. Never enjoyed the game being like a job. Something unhealthy and disturbing about that practice.

Freyj

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2014, 02:21:05 PM »
I miss raiding back when it was a decent social activity with enjoyable people and not (mostly) insufferable cunts/children.

As far as guilds with couples are concerned, it's mostly a good or bad thing depending on the skill disparity between the two. If one of them is terrible, you're probably in for a genuinely awful time. I've only had one bad encounter with a married couple in game where both were relatively worthwhile at their respective roles and that was mostly because the wife was a power-hungry, drama-fostering guild destroyer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:24:07 PM by Freyj »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
I've seen many cases where the bad player in a married couple tends to be the person who handles non-raid/hardcore stuff. Bank, calendar events, PVP, professions, etc. Never seen a bad husband or wife barge into a serious raid and screw things up.

etiolate

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
I pretty much raid healed without looking at the actual game. Just monitoring add-ons and cooldowns.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »
I had a threat meter and that's about it. In MoP I started using the Raid boss warning addon, which basically tells you when you need to gtfo.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
Brad McQuaid wants $800,000 to make Vanguard again:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen
CBG

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
He already made vanguard on a bigger budget ffs

etiolate

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »

I wonder what fighting that giant robot marionette will be like? I have heard the wurm is going to be like Tequatl and require an organized massive raid.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »
NO ONE FUCKING CARES ABOUT GUILD WARS 2
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
Why is every MMO going for a WoW style MMO? Why not an Ultima-style, Diablo-style MMO? These motherfuckers have been chasing dat WoW money and they have ALL failed. Even when they're free-2-fucking-play they can't get as many players as WoW. It's getting embarrassing.

They kind of did that (Diablo) with Marvel Heroes, and while it's OK the micro transaction model is a rusty spiked dildo in your ass.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »
Why is every MMO going for a WoW style MMO? Why not an Ultima-style, Diablo-style MMO? These motherfuckers have been chasing dat WoW money and they have ALL failed. Even when they're free-2-fucking-play they can't get as many players as WoW. It's getting embarrassing.

They kind of did that (Diablo) with Marvel Heroes, and while it's OK the micro transaction model is a rusty spiked dildo in your ass.

How's the gameplay? iirc one of the Diablo 2 leads worked on it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »
NO ONE FUCKING CARES ABOUT GUILD WARS 2

Did you close the other thread, where he was just talking about GW2? Why would you bother doing that? Moreover, why are you surprised that he's talking about it here, now that the other thread was locked?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:54 AM »
Why are you all so against Guild Wars 2?

fizzel

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »
Because it's fucking shite.

ManaByte

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

How's the gameplay? iirc one of the Diablo 2 leads worked on it.

It's a bit like Diablo. But since it's a MMO you'll have 10 Daredevils all in the same area and they all look the same because people don't want to pay $50 for new characters or skins.
CBG

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
He doesn't really post on anything other than GW2 and the occasional Nintendo thing on the gaming side anyway, so it's not like this would HURT him too much.

Which, really, is unfortunate, because if there's anyone who could do with some hurting, it's etoilet.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
You guys have mentioned GW2 more in this thread than he has, jesus christ.

definitely gonna give Marvel Heroes a shot.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
Because it's fucking shite.
It really isn't. It's a decent MMO that does some good things well. The combat is fun. The world is fantastic and great to explore, which the game actually rewards. It has some of the best scale in the genre.

Why some of you care I don't know. Hell some of you don't even like MMOs in the first place so I'm not even sure why you visit the thread.

Does etiolate post a lot about the game? Yes, but those post can easily be ignored by I don't know.....not fucking reading them. It's pretty clear when it's post about GW2 so just fucking skip it.

He also posts a lot about MMOs in general. More then most of you. He's never stopped anyone from posting about mmos either so it's not like you can't post about them as well. Except most other posts here are complaining about GW2. ! Which by the way, no one really ever actually gives a reason as to why the game sucks. Or they're about WoW which I'm sure is oh so more exciting  No one is really talking about FF14 or whatever the hell else is out there.

So Jesus, stop complaining.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:48:14 PM by Rahxephon91 »

etiolate

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »
Well that's why they're doing the character remodels. I imagine WoW fans are bitching that it took this long, but remodeling and then reanimating every character is not an easy job. The MMO community is toxic and gradually getting worse. =|

I am sort of curious how those still playing WoW are rationalizing the incoming item shrink that will happen with the expansion. Their power levels will drastically drop, but so will the monsters. To me, I would think, this would register in their brain that their progression has always been an illusion. The ratio of player power to biggest monster power always  remains roughly the same, just the same as the ratio will remain roughly the same after item shrink. Either you realize your progression is an illusion or you're raging at Blizzard for taking all your progression away. Either the numbers really matter or they don't.

ManaByte

« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
They're actually not redoing the character animations. It's just a visual upgrade. Orcs will continue to have the same base model and hunched over running animation.

CBG

etiolate

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
the infamous ghostcrawler moves to Riot Games

kinda humorous, but I don't really care

unless LoL starts having major balance issues and eyes turn to him

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Man.... warriors are so fucking boring. I don't know what it is but it's something about things just not feeling right mechanically and audiovisually and the rage mechanic being sort of meh. It's definitely not as fun as the monk. I mean... I love the way my character looks right now. Female night elf + 2H sword is sexy as fuck. I really don't know what to do know. I guess I am interested in 'mastering' the class and raiding with it but something just feels off. :fbm

The other option I have is orc shaman. I like orcs in general, but their model in the game is fucking UGLY. Why is a Thrall SUCH A FUCKING BADASS but every other orc model in the game is so stupid looking? Fucking blizzard and their shit man I swear.

I love the rage mechanic, especially with respect to tanking. Knowing when to dump your rage, when to conserve it, etc made boss encounters quite exciting. I remember a few moments on a heavy dmg boss where I'd just be spamming Heroic Strike, then all of a sudden the boss would stop beating on me to cast something, and before you knew it I wouldn't have enough rage for a needed Shield Slam. Seemed to mainly happen in those Vault of Archavon mini raids in Wintersgrasp.

Speaking of which, I loved VoA back during the WOTLK days. Alliance rarely won WG, so whenever we managed to win there would be a mad dash to create groups. I was late to more than a few college classes due to logging on during the day, realizing we had WG, and deciding to join a group right quick.

etiolate

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »
So fought both the three Wurms and the Marionette. The Marionette seems simple enough, but it requires everyone to be able to play their class well enough to down a champion with random others. The Wurm feels much harder than Tequatl, but we'll see how it pans out over time. So far nobody has downed the Wurms. The closest has been three decapitations.

Marionette:

There are 5 lanes to protect. In each lane, there are barriers and some minor siege to defend with, and hammers to repair the barriers if they take damage. Waves of mobs will come in, but you have to make sure the Watchwork Champs don't make it to the barrier and power-up the Marionnete's cannon. So you clear mobs and focus the Watchwork Champs. Doing this mostly involves slows and snares on the champ, focused DPS, and repairing barriers to continually slow down the waves of mobs.

At intervals, each lane will have the gate open and they can teleport in to where the Marionette is and fight 5 champs protecting the power cells. You must defeat the champ and then destroy the power cell before the timer runs out. When you teleport in, you get assembled into different groups on different platforms. So I don't think there is any way to set up takedown groups. Everyone must know how to properly fight and DPS down the champs. If you succeed then you severe one of the Marionette's strings. If you fail then the Marionette's Cannon gets powered up by like 20-25%.

Once you've severed all strings then I think you defeat the boss. I am not sure as I haven't gotten that far. I do know that the waves and the gates continue until she is defeated or until the cannon powers up. Once the cannon powers up, the giant Marionnette lets loose laser beams all over the zone, killing everyone.  Simple enough mechanics. Just about competence and execution.

The Wurms:

There are separate pre-events before the Wurms spawn. These are escort quests where you follow three scientists researching the probes summoning the wurms. You fight a lot of wurms and grubs along the way. Once each escort event finishes, all three wurms pop up in different parts of the zones. So you need to organize across the map. Each wurm has a different mechanic to defeating it.

One wurm involves grabbing explosives from sunken pirate ships and carrying them to the wurm to make it vulnerable. Once enough explosives are taken to the wurm, the DPS phase starts. Meanwhile, tons of wurm husks and mobs spawn according to scale. Also, the explosives are out in the water on floating jetsam. If you drop in the water, you lose the explosive. So you have to jump across floating jetsam and barrels to make it safely to land. So its fighting, running items, and platforming skills.

Second Wurm involves these toxic Abominations. Once one of the toxic Aboms show up, people have to stack on it and kill it, which gives the players stacked in its kill radius a toxic bonus. You then run to a spot on the ground where the Wurm is going to dive down and then rise up to eat you. You get eaten by the Wurm, and then are inside the belly of the Wurm. Once inside the belly, you grab the harpoons inside th belly to break down the outer skin of the belly and weaken the Wurm. You then keep throwing the harpoons at the wurm until it becomes vulnerable. Once vuln, the DPS phase starts. During this time, more Abomination and Champ husks spawn, and wurm eggs spawn, so you need to keep those clear. If there's too many mobs then they'll just kill all the players waiting to be eaten.

Third Wurm is at a research site. You have to run through different colored gasses on the ground and get their buff, then carry the gaseous material to research platforms to fill up their tanks. Once all three tanks are filled with the red, yellow and blue gas toxins, the device will go off and weaken the Wurm. Like the rest, you DPS in this phase.

Once each of these first Wurm phases are completed, the Wurm's head will be decapitated and start running around beneath the ground. It will be invulnerable until all three Wurms are decapitated, and also slowly regen health. I believe if you take too long, the Wurm will regenerate its body. So you have to decapitate all three wurms in roughly the same amount of time. Once all three are decapitated, the Wurm heads will pop out of the ground and start flopping about. They move a ton in this phase and you have 2 minutes to kill all three. Nobody has gotten past this part so far.

So the Wurm fight has a decently long sequence of phases with three separate variations of each phase for each Wurm. It's spread out over the entire zone as well, though the Wurm fights tend to hover around the areas surrounding a body of water.

So far I like the fights. I think the Marionette is simple but fun in mechanics yet more challenging than the regular Zone event bosses that run through the day. The Wurm is pretty difficult on the other hand.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »
Is there a good video of how this? Sounds very interesting.

etiolate

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
I have a twitch link of a triple decapitation run on the Wurms by the [TTS] guild.

http://www.twitch.tv/merforga1/b/497515842

Skip to 9 minutes for the start of the pre-events.

And this is a Marionette Guide:

etiolate

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/soe-shuttering-vanguard-clone-wars-free-realms-and-wizardry/

SOE is closing down four of its MMOs. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures and Free Realms will close on March 31st. Vanguard and Wizardry Online will bow out on July 31st.

SOE also released the system reqs for EQN Landmark alpha and they were pretty high. I imagine they will get toned down through testing or I at least hope so.

ManaByte

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
Sounding like EQN Landmark Alpha may start on Friday. They're giving away a lot of founder pack keys this week leading up to a community event at the SOE campus on Friday. All signs are pointing to this weekend.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:39 PM »
I didn't want to buy in on EQN yet. Are they giving away the keys to SOE customers?

etiolate

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 02:23:16 AM »
After this last GW2 patch, I am further convinced now that for MMO players challenge = time investment. ANet devs had to post on their forums that the bosses were a little harder than mindless so people would have to play a bit better to succeed. This lead to outrage.

Y CRY

Anyways, I made some new armor for my Mes and redecorated his arse.

ZED PORN

ManaByte

« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
I didn't want to buy in on EQN yet. Are they giving away the keys to SOE customers?

Only giving them out to people who DON'T play GW2
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
EQN Landmark Alpha opened up tonight, but they're having typical alpha problems with the servers.  Really curious to see how Landmark actually works once more people are testing it.

etiolate

« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
They lifted the NDA on EQN Landmark. You can watch people stream it on twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
How's the music? I can't get a sense of it in the streams.

Can you create dungeons in Landmark, and then make them playable in the actual game?

etiolate

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:35 AM »
It's Jeremy Soule music and sounds very Jeremy Souleish.

As far as I can see, most of the building stuff is procedural and tends to operate like Rift's Dimensions with placing and such. The world destruction/movement is nice. I saw someone start mining an ore node and then keep digging into the earth, eventually starting to dig the start of a tunnel.

etiolate

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »

Edge of the Mists patch went live today. Gonna go stomp some PVErs and make'em wurm food.

etiolate

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »
Miktar Pron of Edge of the Mists

Sun Altar:

Statuary:

My thoughts on EotM now that it's live:

It's a little too hectic to get a feel on. I was thinking I could just gank all the PVE players for fun, but I'm so used to WvWvW players that it's not the same. People just run around like mad. I'll be chasing 3 guys and doing fine. Then someone will join and I'm like okay, I have better odds now. But then the new guy really sucks and they rally off him and then I'm taking damage from trying to keep him from being stomped and then the other side shows up with 12 for no reason at all and it's chaos.

And I tried Commanding in the overflow. Like herding cats. Bad idea. Also, bad commanders around as well. Assaulted the jungle keep and got inside and to the boss. Commander sees they're coming back to defend, so he goes for high ground. He runs up the stairs to a choke point. I'm like okay, lets set up and hold. But then he keeps going up the stairs, and then further up the stairs, and they keep chasing. Jungle keep has a tower with stairs that goes like 300 feet up in the air and this commander keeps backpeddling up the stairs. Suddenly he decides to stop at one of the last bridge chokepoints, but there's nowhere to go. We're 300 ft in the air with pugs that have no idea what's going on. Half the zerg is already dead because they keep getting picked off. It was like a horror movie. The idiot virgins keep running up the stairs as the monster eats each of the house party members one by one until the last few are stuck in a room on the top floor with no way out.

On the positive side, the map layout is awesome. It should be harder to karma train due to pathways and chokepoints. So far, the middle stuff is flipping, but stuff further into the three areas tend to not flip. It's difficult penetrating Frost zone fortress, so those areas tend to stay kept. You're a sitting duck if you try to attack the Wurm in Desert area and you have to go out of your way to get the Ogre Siegemaster, so those don't flip. You need to hold three different platforms to capture the Observatory in Jungle area, so that doesn't get flipped. You can flip the middle stuff, but if you go straight to the keeps NE or NW from the middle area then you put yourself on a bridge chokepoint with no rails to protect you. You can get wiped or knocked off and fall to your death. If you want the safer gate, you have to take the longer path. Those little design choices should make a difference.

I also love the water bucket dives they added.

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2014, 11:27:40 PM »
Yeah, edge of the mists kind of owns.  beautiful map with enemies that actually have ~ mechanics ~.  Since it was released, I've spent most of my time crawling around in a mechanical devourer to siege keeps.

In other news, another ESO beta weekend begins tomorrow.  The game honestly felt pretty ho-hum when I last played it some time during late October, so I'm interested in seeing what improvements were made since then.  Also have an extra key, so PM me if curse somehow runs out of keys.

etiolate

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2014, 03:05:30 AM »
i got an invite to TESOs beta weekend as well, so I need to download it tomorrow morning. I'll probably check it out Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:26:31 AM by etiolate »

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2014, 03:38:18 AM »
word

if it turns out to not be total garbage, hit me up on steam (same as my gaf name) and we will do things and stuff.

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
edit: oh nooo, meant to edit my post. anyway

This game had an okami-level introduction, but after reaching the dock of Daggerfall, things started to pick up.  I can totally understand if people decide to drop the game early on, though.  Some random things below:

Found out joining a guild gives you guild-specific skill lines, where progression is directly tied their quest lines. You can only join a maximum of 5 guilds, however, so there's some potential for diversity in character builds.

All skills have individual levels, as in most other MMOs, but when you level them up enough, they can "morph." Morphing consists of choosing from a branching path of modifiers, which can be something like AOE damage for a missile skill, or a 35% chance to gain a buff on cast, that will let you instacast your next ability at reduced mana cost.

Also discovered a few explorable, non-quest related dungeons with bosses (and rare loot drops).  The dungeons aren't instanced, but the loot is, so you don't have to fight over the drops.

Got to play around with crafting as well.  You can break down items to their base components, in addition to crafting them.  When you break items down, you also have a chance to obtain an upgrade component, which upgrades a crafted item's quality level, so it can do more damage / provide more defense.  Some items you find may have an infusion, such as having a chance to not get damaged when you die in combat.  You can research these infusions at a crafting station, so that you can place these infusions on crafted items. This will break the item you're researching, however.

Haven't done a party dungeon yet, though I'm expecting the traditional dps / tank / healer meta.

All in all, it seems aight.  There's still some technical issues such as the occasional 5 second freeze in town, and some buggy quests. Combat feedback for melee characters could still use some love too. If GAF makes a guild or some such, I could see myself playing for a few months. I don't see the community for this being as big as GW2 or FFXIV though, which really factors into my buying decision.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:39:50 PM by doctavius bonbon »

Freyj

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
GAF MMO guilds are pretty awful, not sure why you'd subject yourself to that kind of torture willingly, good game or not.

etiolate

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
The GW2 GAF guild is good.

TESO: At level 3 now and can totally understand the complaints about how drab the beginning is. The world does seem potentially large. Quests are a mixed bag. There's a lot of text to quests and I've mostly skipped through them. As in SWTOR, the idea of elongated story telling and MMO progression (often vertical) systems clash against each other. Players want to skip through the babble and complete the objective for rewards. The story wants you to click through a bunch of dialog options. The pace conflicts. The animations are stiff, combat (SO FAR) is pretty basic, and jumping is really floaty and gives no sense of physical interaction with the world.

Right now I'm on a quest to find a monkey, but the quest isn't working. I see other players with a monkey following them (immersion ohnos), but no monkey shows up for me at the exact spot where it says to find the monkey.

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2014, 09:26:03 PM »
GAF MMO guilds are pretty awful, not sure why you'd subject yourself to that kind of torture willingly, good game or not.

Both the FFXIV and GW2 guilds seemed fine.   And although it isn't an MMO, the DayZ group I was with still talks to each other regularly over mumble two years later so

:yeshrug

The GW2 GAF guild is good.

TESO: At level 3 now and can totally understand the complaints about how drab the beginning is. The world does seem potentially large. Quests are a mixed bag. There's a lot of text to quests and I've mostly skipped through them. As in SWTOR, the idea of elongated story telling and MMO progression (often vertical) systems clash against each other. Players want to skip through the babble and complete the objective for rewards. The story wants you to click through a bunch of dialog options. The pace conflicts. The animations are stiff, combat (SO FAR) is pretty basic, and jumping is really floaty and gives no sense of physical interaction with the world.

Right now I'm on a quest to find a monkey, but the quest isn't working. I see other players with a monkey following them (immersion ohnos), but no monkey shows up for me at the exact spot where it says to find the monkey.

I honestly felt the quest dialogue was a good length in most cases.  There's also a lot of quests with some sort of moral dilemma going on, where your possible responses didn't consist of bioware good / evil bullshit.

p.s. Forgot to tell you earlier, but I'm in the Daggerfall covenant.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:44:10 PM by doctavius bonbon »

etiolate

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
Oh, I think I rolled Ebonheart. =|

I am hoping when I log back in later that the monkey quest will work. There's actual stealth mechanic in the quest, so that's nice. I'll give it a few more levels after we do Sat night stuff in GW2.

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »
Holy fuck.  The alliance war takes place in a huge portion of Cyrodiil.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:07:29 AM by doctavius bonbon »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2014, 01:53:16 AM »
Holy fuck.  The alliance war takes place in a huge portion of Cyrodiil.

(Image removed from quote.)

What's this? My interest has peaked. Kind of reminds me of the Wintersgrasp map in WoW, during a pvp battle.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2014, 02:54:38 AM »
why is the continent shaped like a shield now

is that cuz they took out the shitty parts where the animal people live

Holy fuck.  The alliance war takes place in a huge portion of What's this? My interest has peaked. Kind of reminds me of the Wintersgrasp map in WoW, during a pvp battle.

that's tamriel from elder scrolls
pcp

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2014, 03:02:43 AM »
What's this? My interest has peaked. Kind of reminds me of the Wintersgrasp map in WoW, during a pvp battle.

It's a basically a territory control map of the three factions in TESO.  The towers along the lines represent keeps that are under a faction's control.  If a line between two points is a solid color, then that color faction can fast travel between them.  The smaller icons surrounding the towers have something to do with faction resources, though I'm not sure how they effect the game yet.  If a team manages to capture the six keeps surrounding the imperial city, I believe the top scoring player for that faction becomes the emperor.  Each faction also has control of two temples, which house elder scrolls inside.  Other factions can steal these scrolls and claim a buff for themselves.

Every building on the map also has a potential point value. These potential points are periodically added to each faction's overall score, which determines the victor at the end of the week.

-----

I knew beforehand that this game had an open PVP feature, but I had no idea it had this much depth to it.  Siege weapons, a ranking system, PVP specific skills, and even 18 public dungeons strewn about the map for those interested in PvPvE.

why is the continent shaped like a shield now

is that cuz they took out the shitty parts where the animal people live

Holy fuck.  The alliance war takes place in a huge portion of What's this? My interest has peaked. Kind of reminds me of the Wintersgrasp map in WoW, during a pvp battle.

that's tamriel from elder scrolls

The playable portion is shaped like a shield for symmetry, with the rest of it having some lore reason for not being explorable, like plagues and shit.  I think the northern edge of Elsweyr is included too.

edit:
here's two screenies of some sieges. disclaimer: i preemptively turned down some video settings due to fuckhuge player count.

http://i.imgur.com/K7EN7YV.png
http://i.imgur.com/iNJPnT5.png

dont tell zenimax :shh
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:36:56 AM by doctavius bonbon »

etiolate

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2014, 05:57:33 AM »
they gonna send the ninjas after you!

Game gets better as it goes along. Visuals are fine. Some areas are nicer looking than others. I turned things to ultra to see how it looks. I got about 18fps, but that wasn't really an issue in the game. I imagine it would be an issue in the RvR area.

I haven't grouped with anyone and haven't felt the need to. The game has shared mobs/loot a la GW2, but it doesn't attempt to create the convergence points for that sort of gameplay. I guess I have to wait to level 10 to try out the RvR. I am not sure I want to grind towards that or not. I'm level 5 right now.

Combat feels sort of like NWN Online. Still lacking in point-to-point impact feel. Skill building and character building could be interesting with the skill set up they have. I chose to morph one skill into providing a heal, but I get a feeling I'd rather like the other option it offered once I hit RvR.

Bugs: Game freezes up after dialog boxes a lot. Well not freeze up, but just not exit into player control. You get stuck looking at the quest NPC with no way to move. Only fix I've found is logging out and then back in. Right now, I'm stuck in an endless log in screen from trying to do that again.

And they should drop the NDA. It's like two months from release. All the NDA is leading to is everyone saying the game sucks without any explanation because they can't really get into details.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:59:59 AM by etiolate »