Author Topic: Official MMO Thread  (Read 108628 times)

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
Re: Double Official MMO Thread of News, Information, and NO GUILD WARS 2
« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2014, 08:52:01 PM »
Got an email today from Blizzard offering me Mysts of Panderia (spelling?) free if I resubbed prior to the new expansion pack. I don't even own the Cataclysm one lol. Would I have to go buy it to use the other?
XDF

etiolate

« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »
Sounds pretty desperate. See if they'll throw in an old fashoined.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #362 on: August 19, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
Cataclysm regular edition is now free and included in the base game. They will do the same thing with Mists eventually as well. I personally thought about going back but decided not to.

Ganhyun

« Reply #363 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »
hell i dont even have the disks anymore it seems. lol oh well.
XDF

G The Resurrected

« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
hint: you don't even need the discs anymore they'll let you download the client directly.

etiolate

« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
wait why do you need that site when there's already LFR?

etiolate

« Reply #366 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
I gotcha.

Here's roughly why they are handing out the previous expansion free:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/blizzard-we-don-t-expect-world-of-warcarft-to-grow-again/0137155

“We really don’t know if it will grow again,” said lead game designer Tom Chilton. “It is possible, but I wouldn’t say it’s something that we expect. Our goal is to make the most compelling content we can.”

He added: “By building expansions, you are effectively building up barriers to people coming back. But by including the level 90 character with this expansion, it gives people the opportunity to jump right into the new content.”

Can't say I disagree. More levels and more cost to the consumer makes the barriers increase. Though makes you wonder if Warlords of Dreanor will be free a year from now the same way MOP is.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:15:14 PM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
You spend at least 80% of your time in WOW doing mundane boring shit. So I never found it to be a great game. Not just that issue, but other issues the game had.

I did raid and at a non-casual level (going for server or faction firsts) through TBC and like early WOTLK, but by mid WOTLK I had enough of it. A lot of boss patterns repeat and it really is a carrot on a stick. Once you realize that you're not really progressing and only running in place then it loses a lot of its pull. A lot of MMOers are the Spinal Tap dude arguing "But it goes up to 11!" Of course, and  the monsters go up to 11 as well, and so you're not really moving the power needle, just changing the numbers on the dial range.

Ganhyun

« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
Free week for former subscribers of FF14.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/20/final-fantasy-xiv-throws-free-week-for-its-first-anniversary/

This would be something I might actually do. I preferred it over WoW
XDF

« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2014, 04:38:45 AM »
definitely gonna return to FFXIV for the week at the minimum.

etiolate

« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »
oh and guild wars 2 is $25 again if you wanna play like a fun MMO

http://buy.guildwars2.com/

Ganhyun

« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
This thread says no guild wars in the title lol.

Also, I find FFXIV fun. :P
XDF

etiolate

« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »
I actually haven't tried FF14, but I know plenty that like it. I can't throw shade on it.

I am not sure I would get into it because it's hard for me to go back to the previous combat style, but I love the monster and character designs.

etiolate

« Reply #375 on: August 21, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
you get one this time?

« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
I got 4 this time for a few buddies and I.

Freyj

« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »
Given that I dislike heavily PvE focused MMOs, it's miraculous I even enjoy playing WoW. Raiding was hard to get into, but now that I'm into it, I'll admit it is exciting to get better and better gear. It's basically hard fought character progress that replaces leveling at max level. It's really nothing but a carrot on a stick, and that's going to suck when you're at the end of the line. Which is why MMO's focus should be on PvP, but I guess if you're too fucking dumb to design a game to work well for PvP, PvE will do. :beli

Also reading this thread http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877061 makes me realize what an emotionally stunted bunch of gamers WoW gamers are and also helps me understand why I played WoW on and off over the years; it was never that good of a game.

It annoys me when people talk about how the good old days of WoW were all about strategy and having to use stuns or whatever as if it's so amazingly unique. Guild Wars 1 had that shit and blew WoW the fuck away in that regard. You had to use your wits at almost EVERY SINGLE ENEMY ENCOUNTER. But the entire fucking MMO industry is pretending that game never existed, including ArenaNet. :yuck

Anyone who says that either never played the game back then or just has extreme nostalgia fog. The fights were more simplistic, the userbase was a lot less educated on average, etc. etc.

One thing that was more complicated / difficult was the solo / leveling game. End game was a shadow of a shadow of the game's current difficulty.

etiolate

« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
welp got invited to the next archeage closed beta

might be worth it if there's no character wipes, but didn't really enjoy it before

etiolate

« Reply #379 on: August 22, 2014, 02:08:45 AM »
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=49463353#49463353

I'm still amazed that Riot hired the guy behind WoW's terrible balance to be their balance guy. I guess putting your face on a forum often can make you popular in spite of failing at your goals.

Though I'm not sure how to take this comment of his about WoW (and Age of Empires). An MMO and a strategy game are very complex games. They have a ton of systems for new players to learn. They have menus on top of menus to deal with. WoW has a gazilllion skills to learn and toggle on your bar.

MOBAs are really simple games with minor skill checks. Of course you don't have to worry about someone's grandma playing it, because it's a thousand times easier to understand than a MMO or Strategy game. I can't tell if that was his point or if he's just an asshat.

Damian79

« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2014, 07:59:45 AM »
Eh it could be worse.  Imagine still hiring that that guy who balanced warhammer online.

etiolate

« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/110765-taking-on-a-new-role-with-carbine-studios/#entry1148679

:-\

Jeremy Gaffney steps down as President of Carbne for health and family reasons. He had skin cancer that he had removed this year. At least it sounds like it's being treated and he'll be okay for now.

etiolate

« Reply #382 on: August 28, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
The new Feature Patch 2 stuff for GW2 is really dumb. The changes to the experience for new players and characters are generally bad. It's a complete misunderstanding of their audience. If anything, the game needs less hand holding instead of more hand holding. The game needs to send a clear and obvious message early on that this isn't WoW. This isn't breadcrumb themepark life. It needs to say strongly that it's open world, exploration-based and open ended in its goals for each player.

etiolate

« Reply #383 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/29/pax-prime-2014-archeage-is-launching-on-september-16th/

Archeage launchin US sep 16th.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/29/pax-prime-2014-rifts-nightmare-tide-expansion-launches-october/

Rift Expansion launching Oct 8th.

Trion really pushing out releases. I wonder how the expansion will work now that the game is F2P.

etiolate

« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »
Perhaps I should find you a MMO that only accepts 56k dialup.

etiolate

« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2014, 04:30:34 AM »
 :what

etiolate

« Reply #387 on: September 04, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »
what is with you and Ruzbeh playing MMOs once they've hit the shitcan? Why the fuck would anyone start WoW now?

etiolate

« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »
I don't tend to play MMOs like that anymore.

But I am trying ArcheAge whcih really feels like that. It's really dreadfully boring. Some people crave digital sedatives though. I got my glider in the game and it's pretty cool, but it can't make up for the questing or combat, or that character movement is so stiff.

Apparently, the game has become P2W in the final version. Can't really confirm/deny that since it has to do with the Labor Point system. At early levels, you don't run into LP shortages much. I haven't really tested the limits of it since I haven't crafted much though.

« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
They actually nerfed the labor regen for subscription players, while buffing the amount they can buy from the cash shop by an astronomical amount.

So glad I didn't drop $150 for this turd
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:19:00 PM by doctavius bonbon »

Freyj

« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »
Sweet jesus... leveling through Cata content is almost impossible. The dungeons are so fucking bad. I detest the dipshits that designed the Cata dungeons.

Cataclysm is really one of the most embarrassing things I've played. I remember doing some shitty quest involving Thrall and his wench talking my fucking ears off, and Thrall ended up proposing to her. I mean you can't make this shit up. Unless you're Blizzard of course. In that case you can not only make that shit up, but a whole bunch of other shit!

WELCOME TO ONLINE GAMING, BITCH!

One of the peaks of Metzen's reign of shit in WoW storytelling.

Cata was the dagger for me. I've played about 2 months total since halfway through 4.0.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2014, 03:39:10 AM »
I'm back in on WoW now too. Finished SoO today cause I wanted to at least see it before the next expansion. Working on getting a Monk to 90 as well. With all the heirlooms I have I'm zooming through content like no tomorrow, which is nice. Monk is pretty fun to tank with as well.

Also got the 30 exalted reps and 100 mounts achievements on my main. Dat sad life.  :goty

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
Blizz is planning to flatten out tanks for better or worse -- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14058407204?page=1

I've been leveling as Brewmaster, but just for the easy dungeon queues. Haven't done enough questing to see how the damage works in the later levels during quests.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #393 on: September 07, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
Yeah I noticed that when I was playing in the beta. Stupid. Paladin tanks lost Avenging Wrath too.  :maf

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
Blizz is planning to flatten out tanks for better or worse -- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14058407204?page=1

I've been leveling as Brewmaster, but just for the easy dungeon queues. Haven't done enough questing to see how the damage works in the later levels during quests.

Interesting. I don't play WoW anymore but when I did I was a (dwarf) tank. I remember before tanks started truly feeling unstoppable there was a point where you had to actually be good to survive. If you popped Shield Wall prematurely you would be fucked. There were various things you simply couldn't tank and thus had to gtfo. etc.

I've heard the MoP raids are fun but unless the game goes f2p I'm not going back. I spent too much of my life raiding.

etiolate

« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »
The new GW2 feature patch is full of shit. It's a bunch of attempts at idiot-proofing the game. You can't idiot proof! You only weaken the quality of your product and the world makes a bigger idiot.

Like, apparently the starter heart where you pick up buckets of water to water plants with had way too many steps for some people. So you water plants by just going up to them and pressing F. Picking up food to feed to cows was too much work for idiots as well, so now you go up to them and press F to "entertain" them.

what the fuck

I blame your dumb ass Ruzbeh.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
Basically, tanks won't be invincible. But they also won't do huge damage outside of raids. So tanks are gonna be shit again. Can't take hits, can't do damage.

Freyj

« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »

I'm not sure what this even means. Vague as fuck.

What I want is more damage during questing. Decent damage for questing, decent damage for raiding, instead of shit damage for questing and high damage for raiding.

Prot Warrior gets some new stance that deals a shitton of damage to the point where DPS Warriors are speccing Prot.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
Yeah when I played Monk in the beta I let out an audible "What the fuck"  when I realized Clash was gone. Such an awesome Monk skill

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »
Caved in to ArcheAge cause I got a cheap key. Just barely got in and playing, but this game is pretty attractive.

That's all I got right now.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2014, 01:46:46 AM »
If that's the case it isn't in the beta yet. i played last week and still did shit damage for quest stuff

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
I didn't have meters up or anything but it was taking about 2x the time to kill mobs on Prot Paladin and Brewmaster.

I dunno if these changes were in last week and I haven't touched the beta since then.

etiolate

« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
The Queue issues with ArcheAge reminds me that MMOs need to integrate GW2's/TESO's megaserver tech. As long as there is smart match making it works. It works better with an Event system, but its still far better than queues even if players get stranded from others at times.

huckleberry

« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Damn. My brother has been trying to get me to play GW2 for the longest time. He even brought his laptop over today to show the game off to me. After reading some of this thread though I think I might have to reconsider.
wub

etiolate

« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
GW2 is still the best MMO out there. What they did to the new player experience is lame, but I would still recommend GW2 over any other.

Freyj

« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
Why are they fucking around with the Justice Heirloom NPCs? First it was 500 Gold, then it was 1500 Gold, now they're removing the old Justice Heirloom vendors from the game entirely until they revamp the Heirloom System with the delayed Heirloom Collection Tab.

It's really hard to accept the reasoning behind all the brouhaha over Heirlooms when you:

A) Get a free instant 90 from buying the next expansion
B) Can get another instant 90 at any time for $60

If 1500 Gold is fine for the Cloak, Helm and Pants, why isn't it fine for the Shoulders and Chest?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2014, 02:18:36 AM »
Yeah they've said that's the plan. Removing Justice/Valor and replacing them with just straight up gold.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13923582306#4

etiolate

« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »
That'll be great for the economy.

cuz if its one thing wow needed it was more inflaton

etiolate

« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

Guild Wars 2 Free Trial period. Sept 25th to October 1st.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:14 AM »
So ArcheAge is just a jank F2P mix of Rift and GW2 with Farmville mixed in for good measure.

And I can't stop playing  :(

etiolate

« Reply #410 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:03 AM »
I didn't find anything within ArcheAge to be like GW2. I can see Rift with the way builds work, but its mostly a korean MMO 2.0 standard model with open world housing. It's got it's jank though. Couldn't get into it and the housing is behind a paywall so meh. Would still try sailing, but the leveling is a bore and I'd rather wait out the queue issues.

etiolate

« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
Titan Canceled

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/23/6833953/blizzard-cancels-titan-next-gen-mmo-pc

It was essentially vaporware at this point so I'm not surprised to see it confirmed.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
Metzen clarified that Blizzard will continue supporting World of Warcraft. "My hope personally is that we'll support it forever," he said.
not surprising. wow, hearthstone, and (maybe) heroes means they have infinite money generators for many years to come.

etiolate

« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
I am curious to see if Blizz moves away from new big budget games entirely.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised. I think Hearthstone shocked them with how quickly it got big. With Diablo doing well on consoles they might toss Heroes onto PS4/XBO and just support HS and Heroes for the next few years.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
Damn this sucks

But more smaller blizz games is good

Maybe some console stuff

And god please a new ip

etiolate

« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
You won't see new IPs but you may see cheaper to make games using existing IPs. More Hearthstone like stuff. They're fully transitioning into Nintendo-esque milk-it mode.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:44 PM »
But they only have 3 franchises :/

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
But they only have 3 franchises :/
Sounds like that's two franchises that don't have card games yet.

etiolate

« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
The DK builds used to be hybrid based. Frost DK tank was great for dungeons since it could AoE threat easily and quickly. Blood DK tanks had higher survival versus certain bosses. Then Blizzard put an end to all hybrid builds because they're inept at balance and Blood DK tank became the only option.