Author Topic: Making a Final Fantasy thread and no one can stop me. (Finalphile Support Group)  (Read 162636 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
==MAINLINE GAMES==

Final Fantasy
Fainaru Fantajī
Original Release: December 17, 1987
Edition Played: PSP
Time to Beat: 15 hours
Date Completed: February 11, 2014
Score: Nostalgia/10

Played this while I was waiting for Bravely Default. I got to the final dungeon, then put it on hold for BD, but I decided to go ahead and finish it before I got totally sucked into BD. This was my second RPG after Dragon Warrior, and although I loved DW, FF1 was on a whole other level. I had the strategy guide from Nintendo Power and I used to pour over it for hours, even before I got game, just checking out all the monsters and dungeons and weapons and shit. Decided to buy the new strategy guide for bonus nostalgia. /nerd

Final Fantasy II
Fainaru Fantajī Tsū
Original Release: December 17, 1988
Edition Played: PSP
Time to Beat: 18 hours
Date Completed: February 22, 2014
Score: No Levels, WTF/10

This was one weird mammajamma. It was uh "interesting" to play, but it had so many little annoying quirks and jankiness, that it was not exactly fun to play. But yet I couldn't stop playing it! Well, back into the dustbin for this game.

Now comes the tough decision. I was planning on sending the PSP back to the closet after beating FF1&2 playing the rest on my Vita, but man, I don't know now. I had forgotten how slick the PSP-3000 was, it's so perfectly sized. It fits right in your hand, and had great controls as long as you didn't have to use the nub. The Vita is a behemoth compared to the 3000. *waffles*

Final Fantasy III
Fainaru Fantajī Surī
Original Release: April 27, 1990
Edition Played: PSP (Vita)
Time to Beat: 22 hours
Date Completed: March 3, 2014
Score: 4 Airships/10

Smacked that bitch up! I was going to get to Lv. 60 and try again, but instead I was just like "screw it" and queued up some ESPN docs and spent about 2:30 hours grinding to Lv. 65 then went and put my boot up her ass. Felt good. :aah

My final party consisted of:
Luneth - Lv. 66 (Devout Lv. 38)
Arc - Lv. 66 (Ninja Lv. 84)
Refia - Lv. 66 (Dark Knight Lv. 64)
Ingus - Lv. 66 (Dragoon Lv. 99)

Of the Famicom FF's, III feels the most complete. The story was still threadbare (even with the few additions they made to the DS version) but everything else felt like an improvement over the first two. I enjoyed it up until the frustrating ending section, but even that wasn't too bad. I'm ready to get back into the SNES era, though. Cecil's been hanging out at the Mount Ordeal while I finished up I-III.

Final Fantasy IV
Fainaru Fantajī Fō
Original Release: July 19, 1991
Edition Played: PSP (Vita)
Time to Beat: 27 hours
Date Completed: July 7, 2014
Score: Everyone Dies (J/K!)/10

FF4 was a lot more straightforward than FF5 (although the way I played FF5 was pretty straightforward too). No job system, only Black/White/Summon magic, automatically learn spells. People come and go from your party, but you never have more than 5 people at a time, and can't switch out characters until the very end. When characters come back, they're always properly learned, so you don't have to worry about people getting behind. The story was pretty straightforward too: bad guy is trying to get all the crystals, you have to stop him or bad stuff will happen. The beginning was cool though, with Cecil basically being a bad guy and the beginning and then having to try to atone for his sins and become a hero. Then the end when you went to moon, things got a little weird there.

It was fun. I think I liked FF5 better, though. Probably not going to play After Years right away, I'll come back to it later at some point.

Final Fantasy V
Fainaru Fantajī Faibu
Original Release: December 6, 1992
Edition Played: GBA
Time to Beat: 36 hours
Date Completed: June 26, 2014
Score: Androgynous Princess/10

FFV was pretty rad. I had fun doing the Job Fiesta, even though it was my first playthrough. My party was almost pure physical, so my playthrough was just all about grindan, getting sweet loot, and bashing guys. The good things in life. I kept my party leveled above the curve so I didn't have much trouble in the game until late, mostly with high-defense enemies, but nothing too major. Exdeath was tough, it took me about 6-7 goes at him before I finally brought him down, praying to RNGsus the whole time that he wouldn't cast Almagest too many times or that Grand Cross wouldn't turn everyone into a zombie. Finally did it, and with everyone at near max health even, so I got the good ending where everyone escapes the Void. Feels good, man.

==SIDE GAMES==

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Fainaru Fantajī Yū Esu Ē Misutikku Kuesuto
Original Release: October 5, 1992
Edition Played: SNES (Wii VC)
Time to Beat: 12 hours
Date Completed: July 15, 2014
Score:  :zzz/10

The good parts were the music and the dungeon design. The bad was pretty much everything else. Combat was tedious and boring. The plot was non-existent at best, and confusing at worse. People just appear and reappear out of nowhere and tell me to do stuff and I'm like "Bitch, I don't even know who you are." Spells, items, and equipment were all dumbed down to the point of not being interesting at all. Because of how limited the items were, the rewards for actually exploring the dungeons were lame (go down some side passage and fight 5 mobs to get a chest with 3 potions :lol )
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Athough legit Final Fantasy games also pull that crap.  :hitler
[close]
I had a ton of gold by the end of the game, even after buying 99 of the four total items that it lets you buy in the game. None of the bosses were challenging when you could just spam White/Meteor/Flare every turn, use your near infinite seed supply when you ran out of MP.

But saying all that, it's pretty much what I expected going in. I was curious though, I decided to give it a whirl while I was working my way through the SNES FF's.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
A convergence of events

- Final Fantasy sale on PSN
- Release of Lightning Returns
- Release of Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD

has got me pumped to play some Final Fantasy. I bought III, IV, and V on PSN and then in a fit of temporary infaggotry I also bought FF I & II 20th Anniversary Editions for the PSP. I got this crazy idea that I might try to play through the entire FF series this year. Or at least as much of it as I can until I get burned out, which might not be very much. Not all at once, but just here and there, pop in a FF game and see how much of it I can get knocked out in a year.

I'm starting off with Final Fantasy IV, which looks pretty delicious on the PSP, especially as opposed to the grotesque 3D DS remake.

:aah

You got that right, buddy. :kobeyuck
[close]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:31:02 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Himu

Dude, FFIV psp looks delicious.

I started a game of FFVII last night.

I really need a support group. For real. Haven't played a new Final Fantasy in 5 years.
IYKYK

Himu

Why has Square abandoned me?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Show me where Square touched you on the doll.
©@©™

Himu

*points to heart*

:(
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
what a bunch of final feggots in this thread
<----

Himu

I was born this way baby

Joe, FFIV ds wins because it has like one of the best intro vids ever dude

omg

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:45:15 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

PSP version has it too. 8)
©@©™

Himu

PSP version has it too. 8)

That settles it.

:bow
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
3>7>5>10>2>6>13>4>12>1>9>8

I AM OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!
🍆🍆

Himu

3>7>5>10>2>6>13>4>12>1>9>8

2 > 13 > Mystic Quest > the rest

IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
*strips naked and rubs oil all over*

o god how i have waited for this thread
pcp

Himu

14 > 11 > 2 > 13 > MQ > DoC > Advent Children > that FF anime from the 90's > 10 > 7 > 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 12

Real talk:

Okay, as a rule, rankings will EVENTUALLY come up, so everyone should just RANK NOW to get it out of the way so we can continue wanking over FF.

Note: I like every FF. Haven't played 14. NO SIDE GAMES.

RANKING:

8 = 12 > 5 > 6 > 9 > 4 > 7  > 1 >  11 > 10 > 3> 13 > 2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:23:29 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
8 = 12 > 5 > 6 > 9 > 4 > 7  > 1 >  11 > 10 > 3> 13 > 2

this is why i love you
pcp

Himu

Last night when playing VII I was just like, fuck I cannot wait for FF12 HD. Seriously, announce that shit.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
does the psp version of FF4 retain the augment system from the ds version or is it just another straight up boring port?

(in the DS version everytime a character leave's your party they give you an augment ball that you can use to unlock skills like double casting and the like)
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
PSP is probably the best version of FF4.

It doesnt have the dumbass augment system and whatnot from the DS version, but it lacks the VA (not really a plus or minus), and it has the difficulty.

It includes Interlude, which is pretty one-off

And it includes After Years, which has all its nuts and bolts, unlike the iOS version (missing Challenge Dungeons, missing Cameo Bosses).

I prefer pixel graffix but I can live with what the PSP looks like. Certainly better than the iOS games.
fat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
mods help

Damian79

5>8>9>4>6>7>the rest dont matter

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
The best FFs are the ones you played in your teens and twenties and all the other ones are shit.
Hi

magus

• LIKES FF7
liek dis if u cry evrytiem aerith dies

i really like FF7 but i never understood why people make such a big deal out of that, i guess a PC dying is a pretty big deal but she's such a boring character,not to mention she spends the best part of the game being kidnapped anyway
<----

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Aeris dying is not the best twist of that game. It's good that people only talk about that so you can bask in Cloud being a fake person

Himu

Cloud being a total fake blew my mind
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
Aeris dying is not the best twist of that game. It's good that people only talk about that so you can bask in Cloud being a fake person

yeah! the whole thing with cloud really being that stupid NPC you tought nothing about it is amazing, and it's pulled so well! but no everyone is like "blablabla aeris dies"
<----

Himu

Seriously that shit was AAA
IYKYK

benjipwns

I always found the existence of an entire world outside Midgar to be the more compelling "reveal" in the game.

Himu

That was pretty great too.
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

THen there's Sephiroth being trapped in an ice cube the whole time and you were actually fighting Jenova all along

Himu

I like the part where Cloud goes ape shit and uses the black materia.

I'm not fond of the Sephiroth plot line because I always found Shinra to be the better villains.
IYKYK

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
dudes. spoilers please
dur

Himu

Another great part is when it shows that CLOUD - the soldier reject nobody npc - is the one who kills Sephiroth. He gets stabbed in the gut by like a 10 foot long sword, PULLS IT OUT, and throws Sephiroth to the Mako abyss below.

One of the most unadulterated, purely badass scenes I've seen in a game. The music truly makes it. The drums match the point in time when Cloud pulls the sword out, and his hands tremble. Utterly remarkable moment as told by a bunch of pixel legos.

It's such a shame that all post-VII incarnations of Cloud just don't get it and make him some broody guy, when he was a geeky, skinny badass.
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

Or the part where Cloud gets fucked in the ass by some dudes in a hot tub

Himu

:lol That fucking game.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

AdmiralViscen

:bow using a GameShark to unlock Cloud's deleted Power Bottom limit break :bow2

Himu

Playing VII now, just beat Airbuster. Time for the Wallmarket 8)

IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I like the part where Cloud goes ape shit and uses the black materia.

I'm not fond of the Sephiroth plot line because I always found Shinra to be the better villains.

The first time I beat FF7 I didn't get Cloud's Omnislash, so I thought it was pretty badass when he busted it out of nowhere on Sephiroth at the very end.
©@©™

Yo oscar you left out 11.  What the fuck.

11>6>5>8>4>9>10-2>10>12>13-2>13>7>3>2>1

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
6 > 4 > 10 > 5 > 7 > 13 > 3 > 9 > 12 > 8 > 1 > 2
püp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Thread reminds me I can't wait to start Bravely Default when it comes out on Friday...
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
5>12>who cares

12 wasn't even really that great, it did a lot of dumb things but at least it tried new things, so points for that. I also enjoyed 9 as a bit of nostalgic, fantasy wankery after the futuristic broodfests of 7 and 8, but objectively it's not a very good game. Really, the only one that is... is 5. Probably the most overrated series of all time, ever, honestly.
yar

benjipwns

I actually really like the first one's plot. I think some of the later ones get too far up their own ass trying to pull off something "holy crap!" like it, but get way too sprawling and complex and can't get back out.

Played the babby GBA version probably more times than I should have on my Micro.

Yulwei

I sure hope square makes another FFTA game and it doesn't end up being mobile exclusive..

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
5>12>who cares

12 wasn't even really that great, it did a lot of dumb things but at least it tried new things, so points for that. I also enjoyed 9 as a bit of nostalgic, fantasy wankery after the futuristic broodfests of 7 and 8, but objectively it's not a very good game. Really, the only one that is... is 5. Probably the most overrated series of all time, ever, honestly.

More overrated than Halo?
^_^

Himu

Final Fantasy forgive me

don't listen to these people in this thread

IYKYK

I'm excited to play Lightning Returns next week.

[shrug]
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Also, you arent going to even finish this Final Fantasy - lol at thinking youre going to marathon this shit.
fat

Rahxephon91

Oh darn, didn't know Lighting Returns was so soon.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I downloaded the demo finally, gonna play it tonight.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Also, you arent going to even finish this Final Fantasy - lol at thinking youre going to marathon this shit.

I played for two hours and beat the Antlion boss and saved Rosa; I'm feeling pretty good about this endeavor.  :aah
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
5 > 4 > 8 > 10-2 > 1 > 10 > 6 > 3 > 12 > 7 > 9 > 2 > 14 > 11

But what the fuck do I know?
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Vestalman clearly has good taste, with 4 on top. Good to know there are some people out there who aren't, well, stupid.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
5 and 4 are my favorite too... 1, 3, 6, 7 and 9 round out the rest of the list. Not into much after that.... although I did like X2 a bit more than most people :P
^_^

Himu

I'd add X-2 high but I said no side games in my post. IV is reasonably high on my list as well. Good Jon on the FF8, Treessong.

The problem with IV is that if you play it once,  it is the same game every new playthrough due to its story structure and character roles. You already know what to do and it isn't like there are any options,  so IV gets boring. But the first playthrough is money.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:40:58 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Cross dressing in vii lol
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
5>12>who cares

There are what... 4 or 5 main Halo games vs. 14 FF entries? There are probably 1.5 genuinely good Halo games vs. like, 2.5 legitimately good FF games? Percentage wise, yes, FF is more overrated than Halo. I can't account for your weeaboo preferences, but I'm just talking objectively here. I'm only concerned with science.
yar

Himu

2.5 games is still better than the one game in the Phantasy Star series that is good
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
2.5 games is still better than the one game in the Phantasy Star series that is good

That is patently absurd on it's face, and you know it. PS, PS II, and PS IV are all good games. PS and PS II are dated, but still awesome and better than the FF entries that came out for comparable times.

Not my problem I have better taste in jrpgs than y'all. :umad
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
5>12>who cares

There are what... 4 or 5 main Halo games vs. 14 FF entries? There are probably 1.5 genuinely good Halo games vs. like, 2.5 legitimately good FF games? Percentage wise, yes, FF is more overrated than Halo. I can't account for your weeaboo preferences, but I'm just talking objectively here. I'm only concerned with science.

I'm not gonna pretend to like big-name western games, but I could get why people enjoy COD, GTA, Uncharted... I can even get why people would find reasons to like the otherwise mechanically busted and buggy Bethesda open-world games... but Halo has always confounded me. Hence why it's my most overrated series of all time :P
^_^

Himu

That is patently absurd on it's face, and you know it. PS, PS II, and PS IV are all good games. PS and PS II are dated, but still awesome and better than the FF entries that came out for comparable times.

Not my problem I have better taste in jrpgs than y'all. :umad

Only psiv is worth playing in 2014
IYKYK