Author Topic: MGSV  (Read 32165 times)

Himu

Re: MGSV
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
Demos were free? My friend paid for ZOE to play MGS2 demo. We played the mGS2 demo more than we did ZOE. Back then, most demos weren't free. You had to pay for a magazine, or you had to buy a game to get a demo. I know people who hate Dragon Quest who bought DQVIII for the FFXII demo. They didn't bother with DQVIII. These days, most demos are free due to online services.

Plus, there's no proof that Ground Zeroes doesn't stand on its own.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:31:13 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
Whatever they are characters in a MGS game. So they are awful.

taco
Drunk

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
Demos were free? My friend paid for ZOE to play MGS2 demo. We played the mGS2 demo more than we did ZOE. Back then, most demos weren't free. You had to pay for a magazine, or you had to buy a game to get a demo. I know people who hate Dragon Quest who bought DQVIII for the FFXII demo. They didn't bother with DQVIII. These days, most demos are free due to online services.

Plus, there's no proof that Ground Zeroes doesn't stand on its own.

The demo came free with the game, if your friend wasn't interested in zoe that was his problem.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »
No one has, nor will, give a shit about ZOE. The only reason ANYONE got that game was MGS2 demo. Free my ass.
IYKYK

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »
I'm certainly not going to defend the manner in which he argued his point, but I'll throw my hat in with Rahx in terms of Metal Gear's characters/story. Shit sucks. There's potential for decent gameplay in that series, but the cinematic nonsense really puts me off. I only really cared for 1, and that's probably because I was 14 when I played it originally.

I dug Rising because it was so ridiculously over the top and clearly didn't take itself seriously.

Himu

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
There's potential for great gameplay? Have you played 3?
IYKYK

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
There's potential for great gameplay? Have you played 3?

Is this a question, or are you clarifying that the gameplay can be "great" and not "decent" with this? Yes, I played 3. I enjoyed it, but not as much as some did clearly. It's certainly leagues ahead of 2 and 4 in my book.

Himu

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
Disagree with the idea that there's potential for great gameplay in a series that imo -  4 aside - has great gameplay. :yeshrug
IYKYK

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
Disagree with the idea that there's potential for great gameplay in a series that imo -  4 aside - has great gameplay. :yeshrug

Well, you should note that I said "potential" for "decent" gameplay. And all I mean by that is that I think if you're into that style of game (and I am sometimes), I think the series is capable of some fun sandbox scenarios, particularly if you have the patience to play it on higher difficulties. I'm not the world's biggest stealth fan in the world, but I understand the appeal. Four's first two acts in particular I think demonstrated some nice potential for that kind of open-ended gameplay.

Himu

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »
Honestly every MGSV vid reminds me of MGS3 but more refined.
IYKYK

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
I think I read your post wrong. Anyway, to circle back a bit, I'll conclude that I never thought the gameplay was bad in the series. However, I do find the narrative aspects extremely problematic. I know, I know, a real gamer would just skip over them and call it a day to get back to the real substance of the gameplay, but cutscenes and codec conversations clearly are a heavy, heavy focus of the series. My utter disdain for the series' lore at this point is a big negative. I never did finish 4 just because I was that annoyed by the endless interruptions to gameplay (the fact that I often don't finish games these days probably factors in as well).

Like I said, I'll probably check out Ground Zeroes at some point just to see what new bells and whistles were thrown into the Fox Engine. But, any enthusiasm I had for the series has long since dissipated. Ground Zeroes is probably in "I'll pick it up for $10" territory.

Himu

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »
I like the codec and narrative on first run. I skip them on replays. The only one that truly felt really heavy narrative wise was 4 and I've never replayed it. I've replayed 1-3 multiple times though.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
You're kidding right?  The first three chapters of 4 DO have great gameplay.  GREAT!  And the ten minutes of gameplay after that are great too!

Himu

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
To me, onnly Acts 1 and 2 have great gameplay, and they're very short. There's a great moment in Act 5 where you sneak on board the ship which is fantastic, but after that, the movie starts again so it's a fun relapse.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:34:44 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »

taco
I'm not the one who likes MGS here so.... :win

You're kidding right?  The first three chapters of 4 DO have great gameplay.  GREAT!  And the ten minutes of gameplay after that are great too!
Do they?

I guess on the fact that the actual stealth and controls work sure, but thats really it.

MGS4 was supposed to be about "stealth on the Battlefield" just like MGS3 was about "stealth and survival in the jungle". So you'd have to deal with the dynamic changing of a Battlefield and the people on the Battlefield.

MGS4 never does much with this. Beyond having a few set pieces(such as the Villa in Chapter 2 and following the convoy in 1) the levels aren't anything beyond whats been in previous games. The entire team up with faction things is half assed as you don't even have to do much to be with the militia and they are the only one's you be side with.

At the end of the day, chapter 1 is the only chapter I think is good the whole way through, because the actual level design has some cool scale, is big, nd provides some cool stealth. Chapter 2 is almost there, but the end with having to find Namoi is boring. Chapter 3 is nauseatingly boring as I slowly follow this dude and on replays it's even worse. The less said about 4 the better. And chapter 5 basically has one area of actual stealth. Either way after chapter 2, the game drops it's "jungle" basically. Which is a shame, because that sounded awesome.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:56:06 PM by Rahxephon91 »

mjemirzian

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
Maybe I'm not a big stealth gamer but I could never get into MGS series. I enjoyed MGR but even then I skipped most of the cutscenes. From an outsiders perspective the story seems so convoluted and silly that it's not worth the effort digging in.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
No thoughts on Acid? The best MG series yet?
fat

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
No thoughts on Acid? The best MG series yet?

I wrote it off back in the day when a Metal Gear card game seemed stupid. However, after having developed much more appreciation for board/card games in recent years, I feel like it's something I need to check out. I wish they'd put those games up on PSN so I could play on the Vita.

mjemirzian

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
Haven't played it, I saw it's some kind of turn based card game hybrid?

Himu

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »
it's a strategy game. kicks ass. you'd like it.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »

taco
I'm not the one who likes MGS here so....

Do they?

I guess on the fact that the actual stealth and controls work sure, but thats really it.

MGS4 was supposed to be about "stealth on the Battlefield" just like MGS3 was about "stealth and survival in the jungle". So you'd have to deal with the dynamic changing of a Battlefield and the people on the Battlefield.

MGS4 never does much with this. Beyond having a few set pieces(such as the Villa in Chapter 2 and following the convoy in 1) the levels aren't anything beyond whats been in previous games. The entire team up with faction things is half assed as you don't even have to do much to be with the militia and they are the only one's you be side with.

At the end of the day, chapter 1 is the only chapter I think is good the whole way through, because the actual level design has some cool scale, is big, nd provides some cool stealth. Chapter 2 is almost there, but the end with having to find Namoi is boring. Chapter 3 is nauseatingly boring as I slowly follow this dude and on replays it's even worse. The less said about 4 the better. And chapter 5 basically has one area of actual stealth. Either way after chapter 2, the game drops it's "jungle" basically. Which is a shame, because that sounded awesome.
whoa whoa whoa.  My definition of good gameplay is "I had fun with it".  I'm not very good at dissecting game design.  I'm tapping right now

Rahxephon91

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
What is imaginary about it? You don't even like the series to begin with.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
between raban's lengthy explanation of how tomax and xamot are, like, totally different guys and rahx's imaginary argument with an imaginary opponent, I'm about ready to downgrade MGS fans to "sub-Zelda" here.
I've got shit else to do and I might as well make use of all the bullshit game trivia I've committed to memory. The original MGS is what made me fall in love with games.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
actually it was Ocarina of Time first, which I guess explains a lot going off of your comment :-[ kill me :'(
[close]
SRY

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
i enjoy when other people take the time to argue my points for me and then in the end they're remembered for sperging out and not me  8)
nat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »
oh nobody doubts you're just as spergy as the rest of us, mr. library-of-natalie-portman-photos
SRY

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2014, 11:26:12 PM »
What's mine, Oscar?

I just bought peace walker hd. Unf unf

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »
Yeah same here. Can't go wrong for 5 bucks lol

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
Is there a pithy term for when a series continuity gets so fubar'd it becomes basically impossible to do anything good with it story-wise, even on dumb comic book / video game story terms? MGS4+, KH2+, etc.

(no it's not "jump the shark" - this is about the story equivalent of some horrible PHP or VB6 codebase where it's impossible to improve anything without introducing more bugs than you fix)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:52:35 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Himu

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
New 52 is NOT BAD. :maf
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
It has some good books. :yeshrug to be fair I jumped back in with the 52 so I don't know how it was pre reboot.
IYKYK

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2014, 09:39:49 AM »
I'll wait until they pack both games together.  MGS4 sucked balls.

Yeah, completely agree. I'll definitely rent Ground Zeroes though since I'm a big fan of the series and I can't wait to check out an early preview of a next-gen MGS. However paying $40 for a three hour game is ridiculous, especially after the last one's endless cutscenes. MGS4 was easily the worst big budget game I have ever played, no exaggeration. I would place Enter the Matrix above that pile of shit.

cool breeze

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
As far as the game part goes, this game looks pretty fantastic. I think MGS's quirky stealth and ai mechanics are going to go really well with an open world.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
It's gonna be better than Arkham City at least.

Playing Peace Walker has got my blood so hot and crazy for MGSV. Bring it on.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »
Is there an Open World Institute to certify whether games meet the proper criteria for being open world or not?
QED

helios

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2014, 01:40:17 AM »
They need to port the Ac!d games asap. I've only played Ac!d 2 but it was fuckin god tier game

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2014, 01:40:54 AM »
Is there an Open World Institute to certify whether games meet the proper criteria for being open world or not?

Not yet, but The Bore suits just fine right now as a proxy institute.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2014, 01:53:17 AM »
They need to port the Ac!d games asap. I've only played Ac!d 2 but it was fuckin god tier game

1 kind of sucks an ass tho. lots of tedious backtracking
pcp

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2014, 03:14:37 AM »
Sounds like I played the winning title then :D

Rahxephon91

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »
You ready for grim  torture and rape in you're MGS?

Spoilers obviously.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:28:31 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2014, 04:45:49 AM »
is there any hope or chance this game will bomb
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »
It's crossgen and multiplat, enough fools will buy this.
Hi

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:14 AM »
for osmeone who doesnt wanna sit thru 30 minutes of that wahats the controversey
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
Can't wait to buy this :hyper :hyper

Rahxephon91

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
for osmeone who doesnt wanna sit thru 30 minutes of that wahats the controversey
I don't know about controversy. I don't know why the series not being Sony exclusive would matter since it's been that way since the HD edition(360 version is better!). I guess Kojima wasn't lying when he talking about V touching "taboo" material. I mean I guess V is going to be so serious they needed a real actor for the lead.

It's just graphic torture and rape being depicted.....I don't know if MGS and Kojima quality storytelling has earned the right to do that. MGS has been "serious", but also goofy. I love MGS3 and its really goofy and the story gets a bit emotional. Sure while Volgin beats up Eva and he did torture Sakalov it didn't seem (somehow) to be as grim dark as V is trying to be with this "Paz rape and pity sex" in the radio datalog here and Snake shooting kids in the V trailer. I kind of want MGS to retain it's dumb humor and that has been hardly presented in V media which wasn't true for trailers of 2 and 3. MGS going all dark and super serious isn't what I'm personally asking for.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
TRU has $10 GC if you buy this.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »
As far as the game part goes, this game looks pretty fantastic. I think MGS's quirky stealth and ai mechanics are going to go really well with an open world.

Apparently it's not open world, just a slightly bigger MGS area. At least from what I've heard.

Good to hear...
^_^

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »
TRU has $10 GC if you buy this.
are these deals also online or b&m only?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
in-store only
fat

Hock

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2014, 03:39:21 AM »
I thought all the talk about this game being short meant like 5 hours but reviews are saying they beat it in less than 2. Holy shit.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2014, 05:12:50 AM »
I thought all the talk about this game being short meant like 5 hours but reviews are saying they beat it in less than 2. Holy shit.

It took me 1 hour to do the main mission and 15 minute for each side mission (there are 4) which take place on the same base... I saw a video doing the main in less than 30 minutes and i spent lot of time trying to steal this tank so take that as you will
<----

G The Resurrected

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2014, 06:58:03 AM »
So is this more or less the demo from ZOE for MGS2? Lots of replayability to find little hidden things? I can't believe how short it is still, thank you bestbuy for the 20% off.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »
So is this more or less the demo from ZOE for MGS2? Lots of replayability to find little hidden things? I can't believe how short it is still, thank you bestbuy for the 20% off.

yeah there is a lot of replayability at least, each mission has a normal mode and an hard mode and you can't do hard mode without completing normal mode,everytime you finish a mission you unlock weapons based on your rank and there is also a leaderboard where to post your score,finishing each mode also unlock trials like "find all the soldiers" there are more audio logs to find in case the default 49 minutes of audiologs aren't enough for you and there are patches hidden through the game which i have no idea how to get,but if you get them all you unlock a last side mission which change based upon version of the game you are playing (apparently putting both mission on both the 360 and PS3 version would have given the game too much content oh and by the way for the content of the actual mission...)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
the 360 one has you playing as raiden and finding special snatcher soldiers and is called jamais vu
the ps3 one as you recreate scene from the original MGS1 complete with pixelated snake and original genome soldiers and is called deja vu
[close]

wow seeing this getting 8 really drives it home how dumb gaming journo's are and how site like ign and gamespot are ads first and actual criticism second,most of the review seems to be handwaving the game lenght argument on the fact that there is more content in the form of the thing i mentioned above but honestly there isn't enough of it to make it feel like a proper game (i mean the side mission don't even take place on their own map so when you do the challenge like finding all the enemy soldiers you are already replaying the same section for like the sixth time!) and it all feels pretty tacked on to address these sort of criticism... (did i mention an handy progression percentage saying 9% appear after you finish the main mission?)

like they probably added more stuff when they made all those VR missions for the complete version of MGS2
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:20:41 AM by magus »
<----

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
thanks to Twitter I was reminded that the mgs4 ending was 90 min long, making that single cutscene about as long as this 30$ game.

lol kojimafans
pcp

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
no, its actually longer. don't listen to the MGStards who pretend its 2 or more horus long. I am by no means a good gamer and I just beat it in 1 hour 21 minutes. There's no "side missions" during the main map and it's kinda laughable how small it is; i'd argue the tanker with ZOE had more content and more to do (atleast there was a boss fight)

but it really shows how i dont like the new direction of MGS; the open world Portable Ops / Peace Walker shit isn't fun. It's not fun having to carry bodies around a map backtracking and shit nor is it fun to have one map and the game just go "have fun". I want my linear story telling and gameplay.

and Kiefer is shit.

2/10
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
Also anyone saying "with cutscenes" is a fucking idiot. There's literally 2 cutscenes in this; the one that opens the game that is just one long shot of a fucking cancer looking dude walking and then the ending where kojimas childish humor comes into play when a characters vagina becomes a integral plot point.
USA

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
Ugh

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
Ugh. I'd really like to check this out, but I don't want to reward their behavior with $30 of my own money.
野球

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
no, its actually longer. don't listen to the MGStards who pretend its 2 or more horus long. I am by no means a good gamer and I just beat it in 1 hour 21 minutes. There's no "side missions" during the main map and it's kinda laughable how small it is; i'd argue the tanker with ZOE had more content and more to do (atleast there was a boss fight)

but it really shows how i dont like the new direction of MGS; the open world Portable Ops / Peace Walker shit isn't fun. It's not fun having to carry bodies around a map backtracking and shit nor is it fun to have one map and the game just go "have fun". I want my linear story telling and gameplay.

and Kiefer is shit.

2/10
:umad
I just finished it, game is great. Will play again to find all the secrets. It's basically $20 to fuck around in a Groznyj Grad-type stage with improved mechanics and lots of hidden shit. It's REALLY easy to get caught in this game, I had to restart four times but my final rankings said I got 0 alerts and 0 kills in 58ish minutes and a B ranking so 8)

Methodis is totally off base about the ending, there's absolutely no cheeky Kojima humor in this so I don't know wtf he's talking about. It's all played completely straight and is actually almost too melodramatic, but still enough to get me hype for the full game. Love Snake's new voice and after I took some time with it I really love the new mechanics. They brought the first-person button back :heart
SRY