Author Topic: MGSV  (Read 32158 times)

Himu

MGSV
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
GT has a comparison video of the versions. ps3 version doesn't look bad. Grabbing.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8n0uaa/metal-gear-solid-v--ground-zeroes-console-quality-comparison
IYKYK

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: MGSV
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »
Xbone version looks just like the Xbox 360 one.
CBG

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:53:53 AM »
Looks really good on PS3.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:59:20 AM »
X1 version is closer to the original last gen vision so it is superior by default.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:18 AM »
Hey Manabyte, you still obsessing over Larry Hyrb?

(Image removed from quote.)
Dammit, he still posts here?  :-\

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »
Good lord XB1...

Someone is gonna write an awesome behind the scenes account of the XB1 design peocess, hopefully.

Himu

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 03:34:15 AM »
This nicca Manabyte shows just in time to shit on the X1. Does he have a bat signal?
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
Will get the ps3 version once it hits 10.

and :neogaf at failbox one.
Drunk

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »
PS4 version definitely looks better but from the hooplah on GAF I was expecting much worse from the Xbone version. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
I'll wait until they pack both games together.  MGS4 sucked balls.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
SHUT THE FUCK UP MGSV WAS THE SHIT!

I never watched the end though.  Couldn't sit through it.

But yeah, I'm not buying Ground Zeroes.  Can be finished in two hours? LOL Fuck you

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »
I mean, it was never going to be a full game. So I dunno what people expected. It's the prologue just like the Tanker mission in MGS2.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
Yep.  The price is what's a turn off.  Make that shit $10-$20 bucks which is about what it's worth. 

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »
I mean, it was never going to be a full game. So I dunno what people expected. It's the prologue just like the Tanker mission in MGS2.

Which... came free... as a demo...
You mean it came free in a $50 game called Zone of the Enders.

The point of this game kinda eludes me. A DLC game getting framed as a main installment rubs me the wrong way, but I guess I can't really give a fair shake to it. I'd rather have Kojima working on something new and interesting. Maybe they're using it as a tech demo for PS4/Xbone? :teehee
It's not being "framed as a main installment" tho. PR has repeatedly stated that Ground Zeroes is the prologue to The Phantom Pain, and both games are cross-gen. And to the widest possible audience for this game, it'll cost $20. Not unreasonable imo.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:01:24 AM by Raban »
SRY

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »
This nicca Manabyte shows just in time to shit on the X1. Does he have a bat signal?
I can understand the technical deficiencies of the X1, but Manabyte is such a jackass.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
I can understand the technical deficiencies of the X1, but Manabyte is such a jackass.

The XB1 hardware isn't going to magically change with the full game dude.
CBG

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »
The textures are cleaner and the lights seem brighter on the PS4/XBO, but other than that I can't tell much of a difference.
野球

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
I may check this out once it hits the bargain bin. But after MGS4, my opinion is that I only care about more Rising games. Mainline games starring Snake can die in a fire.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
Mainline games starring Snake can die in a fire.

good thing this game doesnt star Snake!
nat

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
Mainline games starring Snake can die in a fire.

good thing this game doesnt star Snake!

I was going to grant you this technicality and say something like "OK, you got me, fine. Let me amend that to Snake OR Big Boss." But I decided to check Wikipedia (the authority on anything and everything!) to check and see if he was officially Big Boss at this point, and I was greeted with this: "players control returning protagonist Naked Snake (also known as Big Boss)." So there.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure he officially became Big Boss at the end of Peace Walker (never finished but read the plot). So he is officially Big Boss in this game.
nat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
Naked Snake. Big Boss. Solid Snake. Who cares? It's the same shit.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
Will buy on closeout on PS3

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
I may check this out once it hits the bargain bin. But after MGS4, my opinion is that I only care about more Rising games. Mainline games starring Snake can die in a fire.

A game with snake can still be good, but I have severe doubts that a game made by Kojima Productions can be. Outsourcing has resulted in some very good Konami games these last few years so I would hope they burn KojiPro to the ground soon and lean heavy on outside developers.

Himu

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
I am going to get this because I am a fool.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »

Snake and Big Boss are two pretty substantially different characters.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »

:tophat

Where the fuck is that fedora emote? 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
 :yeshrug

it's true
nat

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
I've played all 4 "games" and I'm not 100% sure what the difference is
vin

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
I've played all 4 "games" and I'm not 100% sure what the difference is
Same here. 

cool breeze

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
there are some notable differences.  solid snake has a sharper face than naked snake, etc.

iirc kojima flat out said he wants to fill in every gap between mgs3 and metal gear 1.  eventually it's going to be like the star wars prequels where we meet all the metal gear characters as young people.  that already happened in portable ops when naked snake met young campbell and young gray fox, but kojima erased that from canon when he made peace walker...instead snake meets young master miller and otacon's father.

Himu

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »
snake and naked snake is like a negligible difference.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
I wouldn't call it negligible.  It's about 4-6 inch difference depending on how cold it is.

Himu

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »
I think the main problem with Snake and Big Boss is that...they had Hayter play both characters. Maybe Big Boss will come off as different this time since Hayter isn't playing as him.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
I wouldn't call it negligible.  It's about 4-6 inch difference depending on how cold it is.
I'm going to need pics of this in action :larry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:phil
[close]
vin

Himu

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
:drool :drool :drool
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
Their character motivations and ideals are pretty different. Big Boss in MGS3 is pretty much the polar opposite to Snake in MGS1, 2 and 4. The arc and direction the characters take are purposefully meant to be different. To say they are the same character just goes to show you don't understand the story.

:smug
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »
I have an animated gif if you really wanna get your twinkie warmed up.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »

Oh please like I don't know this. I just don't care, because it's stupid to get technical over two shitty characters.

Again no one gives a shit. The stories in these games are crap. Even if it's not the actual Solid Snake(who has been crapped on thanks to 4) it's not like Big Boss is better. The character has been crapped on in any every appearance since three.

It really dosen't matter who you play as. They basically do the same thing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:28:16 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Steve Contra

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Snake is the one that looks like Big Boss.  Big Boss is the one that looks like Snake.
vin

cool breeze

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
the difference is really the year and setting.  there are some james bond style gadgets in mgs3 and peace walker, but it's different than the future tech from mgs1/2/4.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:57 PM »
They're pretty genuinely different characters. David Hayter failed to really distinguish them with his voice, but if you pay attention to the characters' motivations, actions, and interactions with other characters, there is a significant difference.

Jack is much more down to earth, personable, and even "blue-collar" in a sense. He has a really great understanding of international politics but more or less resigns himself to the fate of being a tool to whatever government needs him, hence why he created Outer Heaven and basically invented the concept of a PMC (in the Metal Gear universe). It's also shown in a few ways that Jack isn't against bedding a woman or getting close to/emotionally involved with others.

David is a cold, calculated, born killer. He's distant and cynical to pretty much everyone except Otacon, previously a loner by choice. We're talking about someone who was completely happy to live as a wolf musher in Alaska until the day he died if it wasn't for his former superior officer dragging him back into wet work. After the events of MGS1 he takes on a much more hopeful view and founds an "organization" (really it's just Snake and Otacon) called Philanthropy, dedicated to disarming Metal Gears and ending nuclear proliferation.

Calling these characters the same is like saying Alucard and Dracula are the same character because their names are flipped. We're talking about two characters that fight to the death, twice based on their disparate ideals. And they're the same to y'all? ::)
SRY

Himu

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
As I said, this is mostly caused by Hayter. It's so hard to not see them as the same character when they sound the exact same despite having different personalities.  I recognize them as two different characters, but in my mind, when I think of Big Boss, due to MGS3, it's hard for me to separate him from Solid Snake. Casting Hayter as Big Boss was a mistake.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Whatever they are characters in a MGS game. So they are awful.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
:umad
SRY

Himu

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
I'd say MGS actually does characterization very well. At least 1 and 3 did. Since this is not an even number MGS, we may be in the green.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:42:34 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
I have beat all the major iterations of MGS and watched all the cut scenes to completion (except the end of IV. As I said fuck that).  But I couldn't confidently tell you any of the story really.  Oh well.  I love the shit out of these games.

Himu

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:15 PM »
I think 1 taken by itself has a pretty easy to digest story.

After that, all bets are off.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
1's story is pretty damn simple and was the best.

I just rewatched the video in the OP on my PC (watched it on my cell earlier) and man I was really thinking the difference between last gen and current gen would be bigger.   

Rahxephon91

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »
:umad
Nope. You're characterizations of the characters are also why they suck.

Jack dosen't see himself as a tool of the government. Or he didn't. His motivations change with each game. The entire reason he creates Outer Heaven has nothing to do with reseinging himself to fate.  After Snake Eater, he feels extremely sour about governments role in Snake Eater(which has changed 2 times now)  after the Boss got a raw deal. Thats the entire thing in the cutscene where he refuses to shake the FBI guy's hand is about. Except Kojima couldn't leave that alone, so now we have what 2 maybe three games trying to explain that one cutscene. Either way MGS3 leads us to believe that Big Boss creates Outer Haven because of his respect of the Boss and her ideals. Or did he? If anything here his version of the world is free of government and almost anarchy. MGS4 leads us to believe that for whatever stupid reason all of MGS is some ideological battle between Big Boss and Zero. So actually all this has been a proxy war between Zero and Big Boss who have different interpretations of the Boss' World. Big Boss thinks her world is a world where soldiers are always needed. His determination against government and the Patriots is what earns him the respect of Ocelot, Eva, and others. So was that what Big Boss was about? Because here comes PW and it's PMC nonsense which reveals he actually got over the boss, so forget everything you knew from MGS3. Snake "IS A GUN" and thus now his PMC things are merely weapons for the world. But yet aren't they fighting against Zero and The Patriots take on the Bosses ideas? Who even knows anymore. It was so simple back in MGS3.

Who the fuck knows anymore and why should we care? Big Boss as a character now is awful and convoluted. Dude should have only been in one game.

Also I believe MGS3 Big Boss is as you described a very Blue collar hero. He's kind of dumb, but a man's man. Now he's all sad as well. Big Boss in PW is so damn uninteresting and moody that I have no doubt that MGSV will amp up the moodiness just like MGS4 did, because thats what people like.

Internet fegs: "Man that microwave scene was so traumatic. I could feel Snake's pain!"

Me: "Man wasn't it great when Snake was the boss and had like extreme confidence in MGS2. That scene where he tells Raiden to basically shut up and straight up about the whole "betrayal" thing. Man that dude is a cool character."

Internet fegs:  "NO MGS2 SUCKS

Internet fegs: "Man RAIDEN SO COOL NOW FUCKING BADASS!"

ME: " Why because he is all angsty and saying stupid crap like "JACK IS DEAD" or is it because he breakdances on cow robots?"

Internet fegs: "NO HE FUCKING BADASS. HE DOES COOL SHIT. HE's NOT GAY LIKE HE WAS IN MGS2"

ME: Yep the guy that got a girl pregnant was gay. Not the angsty cry baby in MGS4. Man I would have liked to see MGS2 Raiden. The one that was left with Grey Foxes beliefs from Snake. Too bad that didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure MGS5 Big Boss is going to be just as unbearable as every MGS lead has been since MGS3. Thank god for Rising. That was a game where they actually made Raiden cool, because there he realizes "fuck I'm just going to be a dark hero and enjoy this". None of this "woe my family crap".

And man I sure love you're version of Snake. Remember that guy that had a cool arc in MGS1 where he became more human and found a reason to fight as inspired by Grey Fox. Who then passes on these really inspirational "we have to make a future we can pass on to the next generation" and "find something to believe in and fight for" ideologies to Raiden in MGS2. Yes a character that basically created an organizations that puts his life on the line everyday because of those believes. Well that character is now gone in MGS4. Now we have a sad and depressing man and it's really just because he's old. He's facing death, but Solid Snake faces death all the time. Where did cool and inspirational hero go? Now all we have is very old and depressing Snake. What a waste of a character. Kojima couldn't write a character out of what he created for a full game, so he had to make some very contrived arc for the dude. Terrible.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2014, 11:15:25 PM »
welp this thread killed any lingering interest i had in this game
pcp

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »
Yeah I'm not responding to that wall of text. Enjoy your victory, Rahx. I'm gonna be over here playing my dumb Japanese GI Joe game and not overthinking the fun out of it.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »
Except you over thought it earlier on this page.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
Not over thinking? You're the one who wanted to talk about the characters. I was content with thinking that since its MGS it's already bad and you shouldn't care about it's story or characters. You  asked for that text.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:26 PM »
As I said, this is mostly caused by Hayter. It's so hard to not see them as the same character when they sound the exact same despite having different personalities.  I recognize them as two different characters, but in my mind, when I think of Big Boss, due to MGS3, it's hard for me to separate him from Solid Snake. Casting Hayter as Big Boss was a mistake.

Seems pretty easy to me. They're the same VA cuz one is a clone of another.

It makes sense.
nat

Himu

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
Then why do Liquid and Solidus have different voices. No, it's distinguished mentally-challenged.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
Then why do Liquid and Solidus have different voices. No, it's distinguished mentally-challenged.
more than like to avoid spoiling who they are. Also Liquid was raised in another country.

It makes sense.
nat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Big Boss also has a different voice in 4.

Eh, I don't really care. I like Hayter and I guess at that point so did Kojima(though I still think he is in V). So he kept him playing the lead in his game. It's the same on the Japanese side too. It dosen't really break reality for me, the games are already insane. They look similar and are related so whatever.

And really I don't need any story justification for "we like this dude so we kept hiring him". I've never even thought about how it dosen't make sense for them to sound the same, because it dosen't matter.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:29:46 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:15 PM »
Usually when voice actors play family members, they voice them in a different way. Dan Castellaneta plays Grandpa Simpson AND Homer and they sound completely different, even in flashbacks that show Abe as a young man. This merely shows Hayter's lack of range and if not that, Kojima being Kojima.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »

Sorry I'm just a bitter old man that still remembers a time long ago where demos were free.
Drunk