Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550851 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2015, 12:02:11 AM »

:dead

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »
Not sure if this belongs here or the clickhole thread
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/12/opinions/star-wars-isis-islam/index.html

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_22320_6-weird-ways-star-wars-had-us-rooting-psychopaths.html

And if you've seen the movie, you know Anakin's "mindful" move is to hide in the cockpit of a working starfighter and immediately bumble into the war. Which seems like a great time to remind you: If you ate a pound of shredded newspaper, your shit would write a better movie than The Phantom Menace.

:dead

Apparently, being stupid in the Star Wars universe is a serious enough crime that your free will can be taken from you by some dick wizard.

Is this what happened to Andrex?  :-\ :-\
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »
:hitler

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2015, 02:40:17 AM »
Seriously, GOD DAMN I dislike the prequels.

So happy George is no longer involved with the series. Someone needed to call Childhood Protective Services years ago.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2015, 05:04:57 AM »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2015, 05:21:27 AM »
:lucas

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2015, 07:56:53 AM »
So fucked up how they have to be like "hey guys look practical fx! Live sets!"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »

I think it's super awesome. I am not even lying. Watching any part of the prequels and seeing how much of it is just copious, unnecessary green screen garbage, it's just frustrating to see how far George let himself fall from what worked in the original movies. These things are going to be a nostalgia-fest, and I guess I'm OK with that for Star Wars.

nudemacusers

« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2015, 10:45:12 AM »

I think it's super awesome. I am not even lying. Watching any part of the prequels and seeing how much of it is just copious, unnecessary green screen garbage, it's just frustrating to see how far George let himself fall from what worked in the original movies. These things are going to be a nostalgia-fest, and I guess I'm OK with that for Star Wars.
I wasn't huge into star wars as a kid but one thing I did like about it is how worn-in and grimy a lot of the settings were. even spaceships felt lived-in. that was completely lacking from the hyper-polish of the prequels.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »

I wasn't huge into star wars as a kid but one thing I did like about it is how worn-in and grimy a lot of the settings were. even spaceships felt lived-in. that was completely lacking from the hyper-polish of the prequels.

George said that was because the republic was in good shape back then and everything was colorful and new.

:jawalrus

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
More practical effects wouldn't have saved the PT, of course, but it reflected an overall approach to making those movies that completely sank them: Lucas's overwhelming belief that any and all problems could be fixed in post with another layer of CG.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
I started watched the Clone Wars tv series after having never watched it before. It's not bad and its more enjoyable than the prequels but watching it, its still has to labour under all the fucked up things the prequels get wrong.

It's just everything. Everything is wrong with what George did. I don't have any illusions that abrams will make anything as good as the original films but its literally impossible for him to make anything as misguided as the prequels.   

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »
Agreed. The film could be average, it could be good, who knows. But there's no way it can be worse than the prequels.

I love the practical effects. That's the type of "fan service" I can cosign. The beauty of films like Alien, Star Wars, etc was the sense of wonder and amazement at the...well, art. Even as a kid I'd watch the documentaries and behind-the-scenes for those films, and it really opened my mind creatively and was part of the reason I got into drawing, arts and crafts, etc. Whereas nearly everything in the prequels and most films today is CGI. Yes creating stuff on a computer is interesting, but it's also a studio crutch to me. Time and money wise it's basically a studio throwing some dough at an (underpaid) company to create something that almost never looks that much different or better from the hundreds of other CGI filled films that come out each year.

This Star Wars looks fresh. Those behind the scenes pics look beautiful, the trailer was great, etc. Even if it's not a good film it's going to be great seeing a well crafted world brought to life.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
Pleeeeease let the one-two punch of this and Fury Road push Hollywood toward relying less on CG. Pleeeease.
zzzzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »
Incidentally, if you watch ANH and ESB back to back, the visual upgrades in Empire are mind-blowing. Everything looks 1000% better.

It's a really big leap forward in just 3 years, which is pretty incredible considering that ILM was doing things in 77 that nobody else had even come closer to before. An even more striking difference between two thematically similar scenes is the Battle of Yavin from A New Hope and the Battle of Endor from Return of the Jedi. Six years of experience and technological improvement [and a much bigger budget] made quite a difference.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
Is there any way to watch a blu ray of the originals without the extra cg crap?

George said that was because the republic was in good shape back then and everything was colorful and new.

I dont even know if youre kidding :(

nudemacusers

« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
oh i don't mean to say practical effects would have saved the prequels, but the overindulgent smoothed out CG everyfuckingwhere contributed to a sterility in the film that made it boring. plus you know, people fake walking on moving platforms.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

bluemax

« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »

That got me pretty hyped, I'm not gonna fucking lie. Looks way more like Star Wars than Abrams Trek movies looked like Trek.
NO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »

That got me pretty hyped, I'm not gonna fucking lie. Looks way more like Star Wars than Abrams Trek movies looked like Trek.

That's because Abram's Trek movies looked like Star Wars.
dog

Himu

« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
IYKYK

Barry Egan

« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »
I've never been much of a Star Wars stan, but I'm excited for this.  A big part of that is that I really like both Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver and this will be a huge springboard for both of them.  I also really like the emphasis on craftsmanship which will hopefully influence the production of other films in the future.  The script might just be competent instead of truly great, Abrams and Kasden both have a pretty mixed output, but at least Kurtzman and Orci aren't getting their hands on it.  I'm sure the set-pieces will be stunning.   

The only thing I haven't liked so far is bringing back Harrison Ford because fuck Harrison Ford. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
None of the stuff JJ has done is great. Most of it is in the "solid" genre work category. So that's what I'm expecting.

It would be almost impossible to make a great star wars film in this day and age. Partly because Star Wars means different things to so many people that trying to squeeze all that in and satisfy everybody is going to make for a disjointed experience.

This is old man me creeping in also but I just think what satisfies most blockbuster audiences nowadays is not the same thing that thrills me. There are exceptions. I thought Guardians of Galaxy did an amazing job feeling like an old school movie but still being a modern thing. So there's always hope. But I just feel like Star Wars has so many cooks in the kitchen, its going to be a harder thing to do with that franchise.

I think its probably easier to make something good in the Star Wars universe where its a side thing or project so everybody's eye isn't on it, and you can actually do something different and interesting. Obviously all speculation. I would be really happy if the movie turns out great.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »

Georgie Lucas can say whatever he wants; he's lying. He lucked into something great, and was smart enough to get Kasdan to help with Empire, but then fumbled that relationship prior to Return, and it shows.

He replaced classic swashbuckler sword fighting for wuxia style sword fighting because he thought it looked cool.

He retconned Obi-Wan's Tatooine robes into the standard Jedi outfit, which means Obi-Wan was wearing his uniform while "hiding" on Tatooine. This is akin to Nazis in Brazil parading around in their SS uniforms, despite claiming to not be Nazis.

He clearly shot random reaction shots from various actors and cut them in wherever he needed to show responses; he hates actors and would love to do everything without them.

None of the stuff JJ has done is great. Most of it is in the "solid" genre work category. So that's what I'm expecting.
Am I the only person who really liked MI: 3 ?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
Am I the only person who really liked MI: 3 ?

Nah, it was pretty good. Ghost Protocol was better, though.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
That's a really shitty cut job :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: August 13, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
And this one is missing half her head.  Common dude, step it up.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: August 13, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
And this one is missing half her head.  Common dude, step it up.

:stahp
ど助平

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #271 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:15 PM »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #272 on: August 13, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »
Is the whole Jedis wearing Tatooine robes for no reason thing too iconic at this point to retcon?
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »
dp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
What?  2 is much better than 1.  1 is shit. 

Himu

« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
Never seen a single MI movie.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »
Rogue One cast picture:

dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
Probably be better than Star Wars 7.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »
Another black jedi

black man taking no losses

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »
Hopefully this black Jedi can do what Mace Windu couldn't, and actually lay down some vengeance upon Sith.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2015, 01:08:18 AM »

The first film is somewhat of a small classic (despite what other posters might think, apparently) and probaby the only film in the franchise to have a somewhat elegant look thanks to De Palma.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2015, 04:50:55 AM »

The first film is somewhat of a small classic (despite what other posters might think, apparently) and probaby the only film in the franchise to have a somewhat elegant look thanks to De Palma.

First film definitely a classic. De Palma does a lot throughout it to subvert the genre tropes ( first 20 minutes being almost a horror film as the kinda cast you'd expect this film to have gets slaughtered, an almost entirely silent high tension heist etc).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
MI: I is one of those perfect blockbusters IMO. Just about everything it tries - from the heist to the suspense to the amazing intro - works. It suffers from that cheesy 90s failure to make anything relating to computers seem believable (the Job stuff was just lol worthy) but outside of that it's dope.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2015, 05:33:09 PM »
Watching the last 40 min of EP1 on tv.

Forgot how bad bad bad it was.

-Cgi is afwul
-Darth maul fight is shit, liam neeson getting stabbed is 70s like acting
-Anakin ruins a space battle
-Unit design and costumes are shite

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »
Maybe one day Disney can scrap this from canon

And release a HD ep4-6 without all the remaster crap

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
That ending

How did they let Lucas get away with all of this

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »
Is there a reason there hasn't been a single mention of the Episodes number in all PR for Force Awakens?
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »
Maybe one day Disney can scrap this from canon

And release a HD ep4-6 without all the remaster crap

Do the days or future past / Star Trek alternate universe thing

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2015, 08:18:15 PM »
Bet you anything they'll release HD theatrical cut blu rays after the first new movie drops. It's stupid easy money. The only thing stopping it before was GL's ego.
zzzzz

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2015, 03:03:41 AM »
Probably be better than Star Wars 7.
I think there's a decent chance of that. I'll even wager that it'll make more money globally then SWVII. I mean, Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, this thing is gonna make stupid cash in China. Prolly coast off the positive reception to Force Awakens and have the benefit of being made by a better filmmaker then JJ Abrams (current gen competent craftsman with good luck, today's John Badham lets say).

and to join in on the Mission Impossible talk from earlier, yeah, MI:1 is the still the pick of the litter. Its a proper (and upper tier) De Palma movie, and its a actual summer blockbuster. Its tons of fun, and it makes me a bit sad in retrospect that ole' Brian so rarely got such a big canvas to paint on before or ever since (I mean, Mission to Mars wasn't that terrible, right guys, guys?).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2015, 03:09:20 AM »
Bet you anything they'll release HD theatrical cut blu rays after the first new movie drops. It's stupid easy money. The only thing stopping it before was GL's ego.
I thought whats stopping it now is Disney Vs FOX?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2015, 03:57:02 AM »
Is there a reason there hasn't been a single mention of the Episodes number in all PR for Force Awakens?

I think it is to ease the public into going to the theaters and promote the film like its own self contained experience, whatever the actual story told.

I thought whats stopping it now is Disney Vs FOX?

Also, while we cannot be sure of the exact truthfulness of the statement, Lucas also told that the original elements were in a dire strait and some of it altered during the remasterisation necessary for the special edition. Though not the norm, a film from 1977 could have moderate to extensive damage (The Godfather from 1972 needed a big restoration). Access to those masters may indeed rely on the approval of one or two persons in a complex copyright deal.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2015, 07:40:27 AM »
(I mean, Mission to Mars wasn't that terrible, right guys, guys?).

I still like it, okay?! Get off my case!!
dog

Barry Egan

« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
Have to agree that MI:1 is the best of the bunch, although it's such a different style than the sequels that it doesn't really feel right to compare them.  Ghost Protocol slays if the criteria is just a fun action movie. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #296 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
M1 was classy iirc. Other ones are just regular action flicks.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Monet's Vader
« Reply #297 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:18 AM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
I'm hyped for this and I'm not even that into Star Wars. Star Wars as a phenomenon is kind of unavoidable though, as it's permeated decades of pop culture.

A lot of my exposure to Star Wars has been through video games like Battlefront or Shadow of the Empire (fuck it, it was a competent enough game).

Star Wars lends itself well to the medium of video games and I'm excited for the new Battlefront.

Practical effects are a welcomed return, and that promo vid seemed actually genuine and makes me think these sets and creatures are being crafted with passion for the series.

Star Wars is for everyone; it is enjoyed by all walks of life from die-hard spergs to the kids who thought Jar-Jar was on point. Others just look back, content with their nostalgia.

In a sense, the diversity and scope of Star Wars, with all its inhabitants and worlds, mirrors its mass appeal to audiences worldwide.

:ohhh

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »
No one thinks Jar Jar was spot on