Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557247 times)

seagrams hotsauce

Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #3360 on: July 20, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
rogue one wasn't bad cuz it was "too epic, bro" it sucked cuz it was a completely superfluous story that was as portentous as the nolan batmans. forgive me for wanting an ounce of fun when i go see a space opera for children

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3361 on: July 20, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
I've missed out on nearly all the animated Star Wars shows. Maybe that will be my next project. Which one do I need to start with?

sphagnum

« Reply #3362 on: July 20, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »
I've missed out on nearly all the animated Star Wars shows. Maybe that will be my next project. Which one do I need to start with?

Droids, from 1985.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #3363 on: July 20, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »
WDW

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3364 on: July 21, 2018, 01:46:28 AM »
Start with clone wars to date then Rebels (first season is rough coming from CW but the payoff will be worth it) then back to new seasons of clone wars.

sphagnum

« Reply #3365 on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:24 AM »
Watch Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars microseries first. It's not canon but it's really good and the whole thing is on YouTube. The dvds have been out of print for years so I don't think Lucasfilm cares.

Then watch Filoni's CGI The Clone Wars series, which is canon. It was originally meant to respect Genndy's series, hence why characters like Ventress and Grievous show up without introduction, but over time veered off into its own thing because George was doing what he wanted. Use the chronological episode guide for TCW since it was produced out of order. https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Then watch Rebels, which is also canon.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3366 on: July 21, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
thx. Now that I think about it, I may have watched like a season or something of clones wars. I'll have to try to remember where I stopped.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #3367 on: July 21, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
The first season of Clone Wars is terribad, but it gets pretty good aside from a few episodes here and there
WDW

Himu

« Reply #3368 on: July 22, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
Rogue One still sucks. TLJ is still a toothless, bad movie. Still haven't seen Solo, skipping Ep 9. Star Wars is dead.

:rejoice TLJ for killing the Star Wars dream :rejoice
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #3369 on: July 27, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/carrie-fisher-and-mark-hamill-confirmed-for-star-wars-1827933278

Lando confirmed. RIP chrono's opinions on anything Star Wars ever again. :ufup

Also, "unused footage," where have I seen that pop up before...

This is going to be an amazing clusterfuck.

paprikastaude

« Reply #3370 on: July 27, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
:confused
Didn't Disney CEO Lady herself confirm no Leia after her passing? Even corrected one of Fisher's relatives after saying she could still be in 9.

Tasty

« Reply #3371 on: July 27, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
AFAIK they only said no CG Leia.

Which I would be fine with honestly, make it make sense for the story instead of shoehorning in footage from another film. :idont

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3372 on: September 18, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3373 on: September 27, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3374 on: October 01, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Man, that rendering style is ugly as hell.

Tasty

« Reply #3375 on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
Rendering style is fine, the character designs are off.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3376 on: October 01, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
I hated Rebels at first, so im willing to give this a season

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3377 on: October 01, 2018, 03:53:07 PM »

Initial impression: Star Wars for babbies  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
in before "star wars was always for babbies".  :stahp
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #3378 on: October 01, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
That art style looks like that Nintendo Switch Mecha game.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3379 on: October 01, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
star fox a better franchise than star war

Himu

« Reply #3380 on: October 01, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »

:lol
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #3381 on: October 01, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »

Fewer bad releases too, actually.

agrajag

« Reply #3382 on: October 01, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
the art style is miles better than Clone Wars and Rebels. On the other hand, it seems to be geared towards a younger audience and now this is what I call pod racing shit? I'll check it out still.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3383 on: October 01, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
If you were a fan of the Thrawn trilogy, is it worth watching Rebels for that or no?
What

agrajag

« Reply #3384 on: October 01, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
Rebels was already geared to a younger audience than Clone Wars, how much younger can they go?

I don't know, I skipped those both, the art style made me barf. This looks more digestible to me.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3385 on: October 01, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »
More Captain Phasma. :rejoice

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3386 on: October 02, 2018, 05:24:22 AM »

Fewer bad releases too, actually.

Fewer good releases too :teehee
Nintendo's "quality over quantity" focus! :lawd

:miyamoto
[close]

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3387 on: October 02, 2018, 11:04:08 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3388 on: October 02, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »

Phasma got jobbed.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3389 on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
dog

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3390 on: October 02, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »

Phasma got jobbed.

It's not an episode of Zeta Gundam if a tier 2 character doesn't die unceremoniously and anticlimactically. :foxx

Roberto :brazilcry
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3391 on: October 02, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »
TLJ was a bad ep of Zeta Gundam, which was most of them.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #3392 on: October 02, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »
Zeta extols the virtues of the popular front and is thus the most ideologically correct Gundam. :hmph

Himu

« Reply #3393 on: October 02, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
Zeta extols the virtues of the popular front and is thus the most ideologically correct Gundam. :hmph

Half of Zeta is a snore, Kamille is a poor replacement for Amuro, and remember the episode when kid takes a Gundam? You've got a few episodes that are good plus the ending. Zeta being a good Gundam series is a meme.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:03:36 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #3394 on: October 02, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
As the progenitor of the "The Last Jedi is an episode of Zeta Gundam" observation I feel the need to state that that's not an endorsement of Zeta Gundam. (That came to me when there was a prolonged car chase between irrelevant numbers of capital ships, for example.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3395 on: October 02, 2018, 03:18:20 PM »

Half of Zeta is a snore, Kamille is a poor replacement for Amuro, and remember the episode when kid takes a Gundam? You've got a few episodes that are good plus the ending. Zeta being a good Gundam series is a meme.

Kamille? That's a girl's name. :lol
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3396 on: October 02, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3397 on: October 02, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Jesus christ nooooo Rumbler what have you done to my mind  :-\
What

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Kara

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3400 on: October 15, 2018, 12:31:23 AM »
Cross post

Finally watched Solo

Sorry bitter nerds out there the movie is cool and fun. bla bla taking away the mystery bla bla fanservice bla bla

L3 is funny, new Han ofcourse cant fill Fords shoes but does better the Leboef whatever in Indiana. Yes we know Han wont die so they were smart enough to put a love story there that gives it a nice arc. Lando is also cool.

Overall good movie too bad it "flopped"

8 out of 9 star wars

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3401 on: October 15, 2018, 02:29:11 AM »
The star wars cartoon is kinda shit, like more shit than I could have imagined. Going to skip it going forward and wait till people tell me the later seasons are good.

Himu

« Reply #3402 on: October 15, 2018, 02:51:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/PTSDGuts/status/1048607343447920640

Remember the time when a central character who helped save the day in ep VII by confronting his fears, standing his ground, and fighting to the death against the big bad using a weapon he wasn’t trained with went into a coma and woke up the next movie as one giant joke when they sold this character originally as an effort of diversity, being the most prominent black character to ever grace a Star Wars movie?

IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3403 on: October 15, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »
That doesn't sound right from a movie that opened with a Your Momma joke.
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3404 on: October 22, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »
Apropos of nothing but god damn was TLJ a steaming turd

Well not apropos of nothing, I watch the hour and 45 minutes Plinkett review of TFA again, and was reminded of his expectations, predictions, theories on what might happen next and how TFA gave us some stuff to look forward to

:sabu  :snoop

Remember the time when a central character who helped save the day in ep VII by confronting his fears, standing his ground, and fighting to the death against the big bad using a weapon he wasn’t trained with went into a coma and woke up the next movie as one giant joke when they sold this character originally as an effort of diversity, being the most prominent black character to ever grace a Star Wars movie?

From the first minute even, wandering around in a daze spraying goop everywhere

It's strange, I haven't rewatched TFA or TLJ since they came out but every cringeworthy minute of TLJ is burned into my brain

Basing an entire movie around fuel, as people come and go from this epic chase scene every few minutes, no one matters, nothing matters

The ground doesn't need to be retread again but more than any other movie you can feel the filmmakers directly speaking to the audience the entire time, "your theories are wrong about this," "you thought star wars was like this but it be like this," "psych"

Honestly I'm not going to see 9 and I didn't expect that this movie could be mismanaged so badly to elicit that reaction

However I will follow the fallout and probably learn more about it than I ever wanted to know from redlettermedia
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #3405 on: October 22, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
That’s what I meant: the liquid spilling as he walks down a corridor as one big joke. It was the first among many times I would raise my eyebrow while watching TLJ. I immediately bristled me in a negative way. Here’s this character who overcame so much and he’s treated like a joke. To me it was like taking Luke after being attacked the Bantha and inside that healing tube, and when he finally comes out he wanders around the base with healing juice splashing out of the diaper he was wearing inside the tube. Haha, so funny!
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3406 on: October 22, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
That’s what I meant: the liquid spilling as he walks down a corridor as one big joke. It was the first among many times I would raise my eyebrow while watching TLJ. I immediately bristled me in a negative way. Here’s this character who overcame so much and he’s treated like a joke. To me it was like taking Luke after being attacked the Bantha and inside that healing tube, and when he finally comes out he wanders around the base with healing juice splashing out of the diaper he was wearing inside the tube. Haha, so funny!

That's an interesting comparison, when we as an audience see Luke in the healing tank we're a little worried for him...did they not think we would be worried for Finn?  Or did we get all our worry out when he was down at the end of the last movie, and trailers show him doing stuff later on so let's just joke about it?

I know that letting him actually commit to a heroic sacrifice at the end would've been one too many heroic sacrifices for the film, but it's not my problem they wrote a bunch of suicidal maniacs into the story, either let him get a powerful sendoff or write a different story so he doesn't end up in that position, just do SOMETHING interesting with him
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #3407 on: October 22, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
On second thought, it’s more like a Han Solo’s awakening from his carbonite crypt being treated jokingly. In the last movie there’s an emotional send off as Han looks Leia in the eyes as he’s put into carbon for Jabba. Here’s this hero who sacrificed a lot and ended up being taken out of commission. Finn is similar. Then the next movie after that powerful scene they decide to take Han’s revival as light as possible. That’s how I felt about what they did with Finn’s revival and it only got worse from there.

I’ve considered watching the movie a second time as it’s on Netflix now but just writing about it makes me mad. Far more mad than how I felt about AotC.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3408 on: October 22, 2018, 10:43:31 PM »
I was going to click like but I don't "like" that thinking about it inspires anger, but I agree, and that is a better comparison

I've been wondering to what extent people who liked the movie at first have experienced a fridge logic sort of moment, and might look on it differently a year later

Not everyone watches detailed breakdowns of its problems, nor would even agree if they saw them, but still I wonder what affect time has had on it

I think it even makes TFA so much worse in retrospect, if you try to watch the two back to back you know what's coming for all these characters, you watch the helicopter scene at the end with Rey handing over the lightsaber and it just utterly falls flat
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #3409 on: October 22, 2018, 11:12:43 PM »
It makes me angry because it’s so condescending as entertainment and we are expected to like it.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3410 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
I loved it. Still do.

The reasons you peeps give for not liking it, I guess I see it, but it's like you're searching for stuff to hate. Clearly Rian loves the films, and wanted to keep as much SW feel as he could while opening up the universe to more possibilities instead of making everyone someone else's daddy.

:lucas

Kara

« Reply #3411 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
When people offline ask me if I liked a Star Wars movie I almost always reply with, "They didn't make it for me *shrug*," which aside from agitating almost everyone I've said it to is probably the correct line for adult-children to take on Star Wars movies.

I do agree about the arc of Finn, though.

Himu

« Reply #3412 on: October 23, 2018, 02:16:44 AM »

Kamille isn’t really a replacement of Amuro, they go through different progressions and have different ideals. Char/Amuro are handled perfectly as well, with some of the best natural progression for characters in a sequel series.

Let’s not forget the Hyaku Shiki. :mouf

I meant replacement as a main character. I don’t see anything redeeming about Kamille.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #3413 on: October 23, 2018, 02:16:44 AM »
Hyaku Shiki :whew

Himu

« Reply #3414 on: October 23, 2018, 02:17:31 AM »
Hyaku Shiki IS dope.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3415 on: October 23, 2018, 02:26:34 AM »
I loved it. Still do.

The reasons you peeps give for not liking it, I guess I see it, but it's like you're searching for stuff to hate.

Nah. It’s just not the tone I like from a Star Wars movie. It takes me out of the movie. Nothing is taken seriously. Rey’s friends are being killed and she’s on way her to save them in the falcon and going,”WHOO I LOVE THIS!!!” or when the rebellion has been killed to like 20 people but they’re all happy and acting like it’s a family reunion. The tone is atrocious and is confusing as to what it wants for communicate to the viewer. Which ain’t exactly picking nits. It’s a core part of film making: making your story believable even if it’s in a galaxy far, far away.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3416 on: October 23, 2018, 06:54:29 AM »
opening up the universe to more possibilities instead of making everyone someone else's daddy.

And again nobody has whined about anybody's parentage here

I'm seeing fewer possibilities in the Star Wars universe than ever, the prequels were pretty bad but at least they added a lot more planets, alien races, ship types...they expanded things like tenfold and as a result they were able to make a bunch of pod racing games and toys of the new setpieces and spinoff material that people gobbled up

Nobody wants playsets of alien caretaker nuns or the canto bight casino

They spent the whole movie going nowhere and adding nothing of substance to the star wars universe, even the concepts had been explored previously in other media (grey/disillusioned jedi etc.)
Uncle

agrajag

« Reply #3417 on: October 23, 2018, 07:20:50 AM »
Get mad about Disney films, kiddos.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3418 on: October 23, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
Oh we’re still deciding if it’s okay to like Last Jedi? I just came in to know how bad Solo is gonna be cuz it’s on the books for family movie night

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3419 on: October 23, 2018, 11:07:10 AM »
Its cool, me and my wife liked it.