Author Topic: Catch-all Cop Thread  (Read 139412 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Catch-all Cop Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »
When you have multiple instances of police acting wildly inappropriately that are only investigated because of video recordings that directly contradict the official police explanation of the event, then they kind of forfeit their right to no be filmed conducting their work.
dog

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2015, 02:17:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/169137754393948160

It's an old tweet, but in light of recent events...  :deadpos

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
I'm sure people were getting a lot of good footage on their phones...

©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
http://gothamist.com/2015/04/29/cop_watch.php
While this is true for New York (I'll assume they did their research) it does remain illegal in a number of states. I think Maryland was one or only recently changed their law.

It's premised on the officers having a right to privacy even while conducting their job in full public view. Plus using wiretapping statutes and stuff.

Not sure how broadly this applies, but the Supreme Court has fallen on the side of people recording and not the police in recent years. As the videos have shown though, that doesn't really make a difference to cops who enforce their interpretation of the law at their convenience.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glik_v._Cunniffe
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-supreme-court-rejects-plea-to-prohibit-taping-of-police-20121126-story.html

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Talking about reparations for the Chicago enhanced interrogations

Over a period of nearly 20 years, Chicago Police Cmdr. Jon Burge and his “midnight crew” allegedly tortured at least 118 people, forcing them to make confessions.

The police officers beat the victims, burned them with lit cigarettes and handcuffed them to hot radiators. They tied plastic bags over their heads and nearly suffocated them. They put cattle prods on their genitals and in their mouths and electrocuted them.

more at the link http://chicagoreporter.com/human-rights-practices-inform-chicago-ordinance-in-police-torture-case/

Beezy

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2015, 12:28:44 AM »
 :kobeyuck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
That's good, however most cities already have 2 wars worth of military gear at this point no?

Beezy

« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
Basically. And they can still use their own funds on new gear if they want. :snoop

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »
I still think Obama should consider a three-day waiting period for anti-personnel mines and tactical nukes.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »
Or maybe a background check on how many black dudes the department has killed but that would require collecting statistics on how many black dudes the department has killed

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »
I still think Obama should consider a three-day waiting period for anti-personnel mines and tactical nukes.

Why do you hate freedom, Joe?
yar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
smh leaving our police defenseless as they stand on the frontlines against evil

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
Grenade launchers are just used for tear gas right? Not to say they don't abuse that but it is a legitimate use in some circumstances. What a police officer could need a tracked vehicle or anti-material .50 cal rounds for I don't know.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »
Gittin er dun

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
Nothing in the White House announcement prevents local police from dressing up like Navy Seals so I think most departments will be able to live with this. Ferguson cops can still carry ka-bar fighting knives (upside down so you know they are real BAs.)

studyguy

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »
Nothing in the White House announcement prevents local police from dressing up like Navy Seals so I think most departments will be able to live with this. Ferguson cops can still carry ka-bar fighting knives (upside down so you know they are real BAs.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Military grade armaments with none of the military training is some scary shit.
Too many copmandos out there.
pause

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
Treat residential streets in the city where you live like they're a warzone, brehs.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »
What a police officer could need a tracked vehicle or anti-material .50 cal rounds for I don't know.

What if a black man was running away?
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »

How you been, Biz?
yar

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »
Michigan State Police picture retweeted by Governor Rick Snyder last year:

:neogaf :goty2

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
Dat military cosplay.
©@©™

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »
You have to understand that they're wearing forest camo+ghillie suits more because it's slimming than any tactical reason.

« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »
The ironic thing is those police officers think they look tacticool but they are wearing Blackhawk LBVs circa 2005. There are African militias with better kit these days. If you aren't wearing Arcteryx LEAF you might as well show up to a race riot wearing a leotard, amirite?

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »
Unzip

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Michigan State Police picture retweeted by Governor Rick Snyder last year:

:neogaf :goty2

When wearing camouflage, would sempai noticing you be considered a good thing or a bad thing?
WDW

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2015, 11:40:25 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »
http://www.freedominourtime.blogspot.ca/2015/05/pity-poor-stormtroopers-baby-bou-bou.html

scum lawyers and idiot cops.  Got to feel terrible for this family.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
Police officers fired 137 rounds at the car after it was cornered, prosecutors have said, including 49 by Officer Brelo.

Officer Brelo had climbed onto the car’s hood and fired at least 15 rounds from close range.

Prosecutors said Officer Brelo’s actions crossed the line from justifiable to reckless when he climbed onto the car’s hood, but the judge disagreed.

All these court cases are totally pointless. Virtually no police officers, no matter what they do, will be ever be found guilty of any wrong-doing in cases like this. The deck's too stacked. The only way any of this is going to get any better is through a radical change to how police officers are trained in the first place, and the deck is pretty heavily stacked there, too.

Patrick A. D’Angelo, one of Officer Brelo’s lawyers, said his team was “elated” with the verdict, and he blamed an “oppressive government” for bringing the charges.

:pacspit
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
I'm sure people were getting a lot of good footage on their phones...

PalmOS
:lawd

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/2015/05/25/6-arrested-after-water-attacks-on-pedal-pubs/27915957/

:lol that biker is such a bitch.  'They had violent intent in their eyes' :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/31/us/oklahoma-high-water-troopers-shoot-man/
Highway patrol troopers in Oklahoma fatally shot a man whom they had been trying to get out of high water, authorities said.

The two troopers responded to a stranded motorist call south of Tulsa late Friday and found two men with two vehicles, said Capt. Paul Timmons of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

The troopers told the men to come toward them to safer ground out of the high water, Timmons said. But at some point, an altercation broke out.

The troopers fired, killing one of the men, 35-year-old Nehemiah Fischer, according to Timmons. They arrested the other man, Fischer's older brother, Brandon, who was uninjured.

The shooting is under investigation.

Timmons said Nehemiah Fischer, 35, was armed. But he said it was unclear why the altercation had broken out.

The highway patrol's practice is to place any patrolman involved in a fatal shooting on administrative leave. Timmons couldn't confirm whether that had been done yet for the two troopers in this case.

Nehemiah, who is an assistant pastor at Faith Bible Church in Tulsa, was pronounced dead at the scene. Brandon was arrested for assault and public intoxication.

Laura is adamant that her husband, an assistant pastor at Faith Bible Church in Tulsa, and Brandon would never go after the troopers on their own volition.

'He was the nicest person I’ve ever met. He was very giving. He made me want to be a better person,' Laura said of Nehemiah.

The two would have celebrated their one-year wedding anniversary next month.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Capt. Paul Timmons said  he confrontation occurred as the men were exiting the water after the troopers told them to leave the vehicle and come to safety on higher ground near Hectorville and Bixby Roads, CNN reports.

Details of what led to the altercation are unclear, but Timmons said the two brothers were 'really upset' about having to leave the vehicle in the water.

Neither trooper was injured.

'[The troopers] were trying to get them to come out of the water,' he said. 'They were worried about them getting swept away.' 

Timmons said Nehemiah had a weapon, according to CNN. Officials have not said if the weapon was used or shown.

However, a friend of Nehemiah, Mike Haesloop, told The Guardian that the 35-year-old is 'not the kind of guy that’s going to pull a gun on anybody.'

'He’s more one that’s going to pray for you,' he said. '...I don’t get it. None of this is making any sense.'

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2015, 10:19:55 PM »

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/2015/05/25/6-arrested-after-water-attacks-on-pedal-pubs/27915957/

:lol that biker is such a bitch.  'They had violent intent in their eyes' :lol

What a fucked up situation. If I'd been on one of those pedal-pubs and someone shot me with water, you can bet I'd get pretty riled up in a hurry. You never know if some fucking douchebag hipster is squirting you with water, Kool Aid, urine, jizz... who the hell knows what gets into the head of some jackass who thinks it's OK to assault strangers?

On the other hand, what's the deal with the violence and what appears to be the arrest of the pair who were filming? I mean, if the cops thought they'd been a part of it, they wouldn't have said, "Now's your chance! Run while you can!" that's just some posturing, ego-salvaging bullshit.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2015, 10:20:46 PM »
...yeah, notice how they keep saying he was armed without saying it was a gun?  great job boys, keep on serving and protecting

^ in response to benjis post
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »
oh and hey let's see how cops in St Louis are acting now:

...yeah
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
If they didn't get out of the water they could have both died, so the police saved one life. Everyone else saved zero.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
'Obviously looking for trouble' • Taylor's 22-year-old brother and 21-year-old cousin were the two men with him and whose clothing matched that described by a 911 caller, who told dispatchers "some gangbangers" walking near 200 East and 1900 South had "flashed" a gun.

"They're obviously looking for trouble, just the way they look," the caller said, according to a transcript of the call.

Well, there you go. Obviously this guy deserved to die.

"He was digging at something," Cruz said, according to the district attorney's report. "He was manipulating something. I knew there was a gun in those pants."

When Taylor withdrew his hands from his waistband, Cruz told investigators: "I was scared to death. The last thought I had go through my mind when I pulled the trigger ... was that 'I was too late. I was too late.' And because of that I was gonna get killed."

:beli
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:05:09 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »
Cops seem to get really pissed off when tazed/beat down/shot to death people won't put their hands behind their back, huh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »
Came in here to post that; man, what a load of shit.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »
Maybe the cops shouldnt hire pansies that are scared to death all the time

« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
Maybe the cops shouldnt hire pansies that are scared to death all the time

I think it has more to do with training, culture, and environment than the lack bravery of the individual officers.

1. Obviously the departments put a lot of money into training their officers and prioritize safety like all companies so as to not lose a valuable asset. Thus defensive training is a high priority and that famous 21 foot rule trains officers to react with deadly force instead of de-escalating situations.

2. The culture appears (to me as an outsider) to be macho and increasingly paramilitary and becoming more so. The military style uniforms, military style recruit training, military weapons, military vehicles, "war on drugs", "thin blue line", etc. promote an an enemy-centric approach to policing instead of community involvement.

3. The environment some officers live and work in on a daily basis is not the same that you and I live in. We don't live in the same dimension as them. Our lives are generally comfortable and mundane and we generally only frequent hip, safe neighborhoods with people like us (I assume.) But police, especially on night shift, live in work in a nighttime world in low income neighborhoods where most people they deal with are intoxicated, on the fringes of society, and they are responding to violent crimes. So I think many of them lose perspective of what "normal" society is like where you don't have to constantly be hypervigilant.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »
All of which is true, and none of which explains why the cops were dive-rolling around a suburban pool party, and only targeting the POCs.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »
let's just be real and say that cops act like assholes bc white ppl train other white ppl to be fearful and suspicious of black ppl
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
It's not just black people though, which I would expect wider America to react to, but much of the comments I'm seeing still end up blaming the people for having done something, anything, to make them look like they deserved some 'rough handling'.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2015, 09:10:35 AM »

Basically, some black kids showed up to a pool in one of the most upscale neighbors in suburban Dallas, which really ticked off some racist white lady. Then, the cops showed up and started cuffing the black kids.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
Is this like a private pool?

Beezy

« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-panel-rules-whites-only-pool-sign-racist/

black bodies and water is quite a triggering combination for some folk

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
There is no middle ground here? We can't say that kids who weren't invited showed up, there was overflow and the kids were being kids, ie unruly assholes?

Beezy

« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »
There is no middle ground here? We can't say that kids who weren't invited showed up, there was overflow and the kids were being kids, ie unruly assholes?
Have you followed this story at all? Have you even checked the links that we posted about it?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
Yea on GAF. A DJ advertised the party and more kids than expected showed up, right?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »

middle ground what?? who gives a fuck if some kids weren't following the exact rules of a fucking public pool? how does that justify cops running around and screaming at kids, grabbing them, throwing them, pulling a fuckin gun on them, and the damn near molesting a half naked preteen??
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
I offered no defense of cops. I've seen multiple posts about how kids were doing nothing and then *boom* cops. In reality kids were being assholes, cops showed up and started being dicks to the black kids.

Beezy

« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
I offered no defense of cops. I've seen multiple posts about how kids were doing nothing and then *boom* cops. In reality kids were being assholes, cops showed up and started being dicks to the black kids.
Check the 2nd vid and explanation in the link I posted.

Himu

« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »

What got the cops called was some white ladies making racist remarks. A fight broke out between one girl and one of the ladies. THe boys tried to pull them apart. There were lots of kids, and teenagers are going to be loud by necessity, because they're teens. But there were more than black teens there, let's be real.
IYKYK