Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 890062 times)

skullstorm

Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #7560 on: December 16, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »
I wish we had some snow, looking at yet another bleak, dark, depressing rainy christmas :fbm It's been like this many years in a row now, a white christmas is only a memory at this point.

Now we usually get snow in January, so like a week after christmas it will finally look like christmas, which is bullshit. I should start a petition to have christmas moved a week or two later.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7561 on: December 16, 2019, 09:48:51 AM »
Become Orthodox?

skullstorm

« Reply #7562 on: December 16, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
 :ohhh

skullstorm

« Reply #7563 on: December 16, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Okay good, I don't have to be jelly then. Dirty slushy snow  :yuck

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7564 on: December 16, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
Pretty sure someone stole my package. Delivered at 5:25. I get home at 6:05. Package nowhere. Cool cool. Lovely. Hopefully the sweater keeps you warm or serves as a good cum rag whoever you are. Scumbag fuck.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7565 on: December 17, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
unsurprisingly, being on a plane full of people coughing/sneezing and not covering their gross mouths got me sick :(

BisMarckie

« Reply #7566 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:14 PM »
Had another gallbladder attack. I really need to get it removed, but I am trying to soldier through until the holidays are over.
Don't want to spend Christmas in a hospital.  :-\

Cue Kara's joke about Polish men disregarding their personal health.  :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #7567 on: December 19, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »
I only consider it a struggle if it is a vital organ  :doge

Gallbladders are like politicians: Do jack shit all day, but throw huge tantrums when things don't go their way. :rodney

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #7568 on: December 19, 2019, 08:08:11 PM »
You know that juggling act you sometimes do in your colon when you're trying to let out a little gas without releasing any liquid as well?

I dropped the ball today.  :(
每天生气

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7569 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:36 PM »
Its 3 at night, haven't slept cause im coughing, just fed the baby, have to get up in 3 hours for work  :lol

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7570 on: December 19, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
You know that juggling act you sometimes do in your colon when you're trying to let out a little gas without releasing any liquid as well?

I dropped the ball today.  :(

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=42828.0

Kara

« Reply #7571 on: December 19, 2019, 11:00:21 PM »
That thread is a GOAT, almost on par with "which Borean would most likely climb Everest".

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #7572 on: December 20, 2019, 01:22:56 AM »
thanks spotify for tellin me my second most played tune of 2018 is fkn all the stars  :brain

Kara

« Reply #7573 on: December 20, 2019, 03:28:13 AM »
Had another gallbladder attack. I really need to get it removed, but I am trying to soldier through until the holidays are over.
Don't want to spend Christmas in a hospital.  :-\

Cue Kara's joke about Polish men disregarding their personal health.  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7574 on: December 20, 2019, 08:56:22 AM »
After two months of insanity at work (software rollouts+outages= crazy) I was supposed to be leaving early today and then going on vacation until after New Year's.  Had all this scheduled four months ago.

Nope!  Boss messed up and told me that I had less PTO than actually available.  This is like the third time this has happened.  :lol
:dizzy 

Last year I ended up just keeping what I had scheduled and got a vacation day without pay.  Not gonna do that this year- it's not too bad -working all day today instead of leaving early and will work a half day Monday at home before being done- and it's been a fairly quiet week, but I'm pretty burnt out and really ready to be off.  Every day has felt exceptionally long and drawn-out.  At least it's a quiet Friday, right?

NOPE FUCK YOU- got one guy already off, another now doing something for another department all day, and a third coming in late, leaving just two of us as the morning crew to handle everything.  One of the lazier ones here has called out "sick" the last two Fridays in a row and I am just waiting for him to try this today, too, and get it- which would be the icing on the shit sundae. 

Signing off Monday late morning is going to be glorious. 
:delicious
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:27:40 PM by pork »
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7575 on: December 20, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »
 :salute

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7576 on: December 20, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »
Got a call from a woman who very clearly calls us simply to avoid working and waste as much time as possible.  Not only is it obvious to us, but her manager used to call us after she would call to "check up" and ask what she was doing.

This lady had literally just called and wasted a bunch of time with my co-worker, then calls back to complain that "part of Outlook doesn't look right- the text is too light!"  (It wasn't)  So I go on and poke around, deciding to run the Cleartype Text tuner.  This is the most straight-forward shit- click on the box that looks the best and click next.  Repeat a couple of times.  Done.

This lady then spends 10 minutes clicking on each box, going back and forth, stopping, and going back and forth again, fake-complaining that "this is hard!  I don't know!  What do you think?" etc. etc.  I was sitting there literally like:
:rage

After this, she complains that it still doesn't look right.  Then her manager walks up and while I couldn't hear the whole conversation, it went something like "Yes, yes I was just on the phone with them.  Yes, well, my Outlook is...uh...he's helping me with um...yes it has been a little while.  I--(Couldn't hear the manager)

--pork?  Thank you I need to go now bye"
*click*

I love that manager now.
 :playa
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7577 on: December 22, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »
I wanted a cheesesteak, so I made myself two of them cause fuck cutting half a steak and saving some for later.  Think I might explode now.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7578 on: December 22, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
Burn the poop-witch!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7579 on: December 22, 2019, 02:51:57 PM »
Pooping your pants is cool. You ain’t cool unless you poop your pants.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7580 on: December 22, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »
Lots of cool dudes on this forum. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #7581 on: December 22, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
Good thing I have a lot of my daughters’ diapers  lying around  8)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7582 on: December 22, 2019, 09:05:39 PM »
Just learned that one of the best people I have had the privelage of calling my friend is moving away to Cali. I'm super happy for her, but also incredibly sad cause I don't know anyone with such a kind heart who I am able to talk with openly about various things. It's kind of a reality check for me too though to wake the hell up and start living and make something of myself instead of holding on to my friends. People have their own lives and move on (and move cities). Im just tip toeing in place. Done with that. I really have to turn a new page this next year. Shia Lebeuf Just Do It style.

Fuck I'm sad though  :'(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7583 on: December 23, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
Already got some "don't want to work because holiday~" office fuckery going on this morning.  About three more hours to go and then I'm done until January second. 
 :aah

I feel bad for a couple of folks, but the ones who are going to be the most affected by my (and two other people alternating this and next week) not being there are the lazy ones.  Happy holidays!  :P
ど助平

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #7584 on: December 23, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
I’m so fucking bored at work now that most people have gone on holiday

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7585 on: December 23, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »

Friday was almost dead at times- was dead again up until about an hour ago and now it has been pretty steady.  Sometimes I wonder if people just can't make themselves stop working.  Most of them are remote and are reporting little things that can wait.  Like...take a break already.
ど助平

jorma

« Reply #7586 on: December 23, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »

Friday was almost dead at times- was dead again up until about an hour ago and now it has been pretty steady.  Sometimes I wonder if people just can't make themselves stop working.  Most of them are remote and are reporting little things that can wait.  Like...take a break already.

in my experience as someone who used to work remote every now and then and also having colleagues doing the same, they are probably just making sure to leave a "paper trail" that they were, in fact, working from home. In reality they are probably enjoying all the boobs in the Witcher right now.

Tasty

« Reply #7587 on: December 24, 2019, 06:38:40 PM »
Sitting here stewing that I wasn't able to buy anybody any Christmas gifts this year.

Yeah I'm gonna pout.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7588 on: December 24, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
Just get them great stuff next year.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7589 on: December 24, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »
Sitting here stewing that I wasn't able to buy anybody any Christmas gifts this year.

Yeah I'm gonna pout.

Give them your love and good vibes.  :heart
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #7590 on: December 25, 2019, 12:45:22 AM »

Yeah I'm gonna pout.

Give free BJs :idont
Margs

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7591 on: December 26, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Today at work feels like I accidentally came in on a Saturday, but now they won't let me leave.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7592 on: December 27, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »
I ditched comcast about 6 months ago because they refused to lower my bill. $110 for 50mbps internet. Goddamn ridiculous. That was with local TV and HBO Go. When I asked to remove those they said it removed by discount so then I'd pay $124 for the same internet and no HBO Go.

Now they've been calling me and emailing me for 6 months telling me I didn't drop off my modem - even though Ive emailed them the scanned receipt multiple times. Fuck 'em.

Tasty

« Reply #7593 on: December 27, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
Yeah fuck Comcast.

Cutting the cord and telling them to shove their equipment rental fees felt so good :preach

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7594 on: December 28, 2019, 01:00:44 AM »
My contract is up next week but I decided not to ask for an extension since I'm honestly pretty burnt out. Being a contractor in tech might make sense but in the utility industry, there's too much fucking nepotism.

It's a slight struggle because I tried to put a little shade in my thanks/farewell message today by saying that I appreciated working with most of the people there. I don't think anyone got it yet.

archnemesis

« Reply #7595 on: December 28, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
... by saying that I appreciated working with most of the people there.
I used that exact phrase during my last farewell speech without thinking much about it and several coworkers thought it was intended as throwing shade. The subconscious mind has a way communicating on its own.

Tasty

« Reply #7596 on: December 29, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
shosta locked his thread right before I posted my list

shosta

« Reply #7597 on: December 29, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »
My struggle is I can't change my password because then I won't be using the same password for everything
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #7598 on: December 29, 2019, 04:48:42 PM »
Speaking of and relevant to this thread, LastPass got bought by a private equity firm this month, found out literally the day after I purchased Premium. :-\

And Premium still doesn't support Yubikey/Titan, wtf.

What do people here use? I'm interested in an "ethical" password manager.

I guess I could say fuck it and store everything in Chrome, since Chrome has a password generator now, and that's 90% of my LastPass use (outside of actually "managing" the passwords (aka storing and never looking at again.))

Tasty

« Reply #7599 on: December 29, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Keep Ass  :nugenix

Will give it a look, thanks!

Tasty

« Reply #7600 on: December 29, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »
Proclamations of ethics are always bullshit, but companies run a spectrum and LastPass's new overlords just by their nature are on the "evil" side now, in my view.

Local/open source stuff exists at the far opposite end in "good/ethical." But I try to be cloud-native and not tied to hardware whenever possible, so a good compromise might be 1Password... until they get bought out. :social2

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7601 on: December 30, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
Cluster of dead pixels on my iPhone

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7602 on: December 30, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
My local pharmacy shut down for some reason. They transferred all the records to Rite Aid. So I go into Rite Aid right and am like GIVE ME DRUGS and first they tell me it's going to take an hour so I'm like okay, I'll come back then, but it takes like three and a half hours before they finally text that they're ready, took an hour alone for the texts for me to confirm the texting service, so I go back and am like GIVE ME DRUGS and they're all like "$663.84 please" and I'm like "nope lol" and the dude asks me if I want them to hold it like what do you think.

So I go to Kroger and bam, $12 again like at my old pharmacy. Also they're open until 9pm! I dunno what kind of racket Rite Aid is running but it seems illegal imo.

Also I think I picked up a cold from those monsters at Rite Aid, I'm just going to assume it also came from there. #BanRiteAidAndKillThem

shosta

« Reply #7603 on: December 30, 2019, 10:05:59 PM »
That must be a mistake. Under perfect competition, firms should have equivalent prices.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #7604 on: December 30, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
RiteAid fucking sucks. I'm glad the one here was replaced by a Walgreens.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7605 on: December 30, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
Walgreens partnered with Theranos. I think CVS also is running some kind of scam that should be RICO prosecuted. Basically, I don't trust these so-called "Drug Stores" that also sell things like Atari Flashbacks.

Except Wall Drug. FREE ICE WATER!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7606 on: December 30, 2019, 11:11:38 PM »
Can't seem to replace my internal HDD on my PS4 despite following all the directions explicitly.  :-\
It says the update on the USB drive is not usable when I try to do this: Select option
  • 7 [Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)], and press the X button.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7607 on: December 31, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
Do you have it set up like this on the USB drive?

PS4 > UPDATE > PS4UPDATE.PUP (the first two being folders, obviously).

Also, despite the name, you need the full OS install file, which is larger than just a regular OS update file.
Mind you that's how it was a couple years ago, no idea if that's still the case.

shosta

« Reply #7608 on: December 31, 2019, 02:25:25 PM »
Doesn't seem logically possible. Consumers with perfect information can simply choose to shop at the price leader. Clearly benji figured this out and I think if he goes back soon he'll find that Rite Aid will have adjusted its prices accordingly.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #7609 on: December 31, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
That would be irrational behavior. The cost of gas to go to a different store would surely be less than the upcharge on drugs. A utility maximizing individual would just drive to a different store.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #7610 on: December 31, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
Walgreens partnered with Theranos. I think CVS also is running some kind of scam that should be RICO prosecuted. Basically, I don't trust these so-called "Drug Stores" that also sell things like Atari Flashbacks.

Except Wall Drug. FREE ICE WATER!

Theranos duped a lot of smart people. :trumps

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7611 on: December 31, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
just start up your own pharmacy chain
just compete bro

shosta

« Reply #7612 on: January 01, 2020, 03:21:07 AM »
Heating my apartment with my oven because my water heater is broken
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #7613 on: January 02, 2020, 01:21:15 AM »
There's this Chinese movie I'm trying to watch but I can't find it on any streaming websites so I ended up emailing the US rep for their international distributor out of desperation asking if I could "pay for it directly" (I know I sound like an idiot). It's 2020, shouldn't the internet make everything available from everywhere?

:notlikethis
每天生气

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7614 on: January 02, 2020, 04:19:34 AM »
Do you have it set up like this on the USB drive?

PS4 > UPDATE > PS4UPDATE.PUP (the first two being folders, obviously).

Also, despite the name, you need the full OS install file, which is larger than just a regular OS update file.
Mind you that's how it was a couple years ago, no idea if that's still the case.

Yes, thanks! That's exactly what I've got set up. The PS4UPDATE.PUP file is about 470MB and exists off root in that structure.
Sho Nuff, who freaking mods everything, also confirmed the setup should be working.

Raist

« Reply #7615 on: January 02, 2020, 04:46:30 AM »
That's the wrong file. You need the one from the "fresh install" section or whatever it's called. It should be closer to 1GB in size.

edit:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

PS4™ Complete System Software File

A full system software installation is required when replacing the internal hard drive on your PS4.

The download file from the link in that section is 1GB
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:50:44 AM by Raist »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #7616 on: January 02, 2020, 07:09:38 AM »
kicked off new year at work by finding out our outsourced services center in india fucked up a payment to tax authorities resulting in a not immaterial fine  :-\ :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7617 on: January 02, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »
That's the wrong file. You need the one from the "fresh install" section or whatever it's called. It should be closer to 1GB in size.

edit:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

PS4™ Complete System Software File

A full system software installation is required when replacing the internal hard drive on your PS4.

The download file from the link in that section is 1GB

Can you reconfirm? I'm seeing the same filesize from that link. It says to be prepared for up to 1GB, but it's still d/l'ing a ~469MB file.

Raist

« Reply #7618 on: January 02, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
The second download link (in the "PS4™ Complete System Software File") is definitely a 1GB file. 1.06 to be precise.

The first link (in the "PS4™ System Software Update File") pops up as 448MB for me but the actual file is 470MB.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7619 on: January 02, 2020, 09:35:10 PM »
The second download link (in the "PS4™ Complete System Software File") is definitely a 1GB file. 1.06 to be precise.

The first link (in the "PS4™ System Software Update File") pops up as 448MB for me but the actual file is 470MB.

:bow Raist :bow2

I think you've nailed it. THANKS for the help.

Edit: Yes, this did the trick. I'm now re-installing everything on my newly formatted drive. YAHOOOOOOO!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:51:46 PM by chronovore »