Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 885256 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #6120 on: September 03, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »
This was a hard-and-fast rule when I was a kid, no calls or visiting between 6-8PM, just to be considerate. Also, no calls after 10PM.

:oldmanshoutsatcloud.gif

To be fair, things were really different in the 1940s.

Raist is on fire in this thread. Usually spectrum-dwellers can't really crack decent jokes, so I'm impressed.

:-*

spectrum-dwellers

Wait, what?

"Winner of the Baited Award 2018"
 :-*

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6121 on: September 03, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
I've been the on-call guy at work for the past week and it has been extended through Tuesday morning because of Labor Day.  Hasn't really been that bad, but several times I've been woken up by people calling from an office in China for help, with zero regard for what time of night it is on our side, plus a few people on the west coast who never seem to sleep. 

This past weekend was pretty quiet until last night at 1 AM, when another call from China came in.  A woman forgot her laptop at home and was trying to log onto a spare laptop that was lying around.  The error she was getting indicated that there was a problem with the laptop specifically and there was nothing I could do to help her, especially when she couldn't tell me the computer name so I could look it up.  After 20 minutes of this going nowhere, I call the manager on duty, confirm things with him, then call her back and ask her if there's another PC she can use.  She goes "Oh yes...I'm already logged onto a desktop."
 :comeon :beli :foxx :flabbypd :mindblown :rage
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:39:22 AM by bork »
ど助平

EVOL

« Reply #6122 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:06 PM »
Ate shit while skating drunk yesterday, now I have a nasty cut on the bridge of my nose that's probably going to scar.

I was just sober enough to be able to protect most of my face from getting annihilated by the asphalt, but my nose wasn't too lucky

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6123 on: September 04, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »
Last Friday, I came up with a good idea at work to manage our schedule. Came in on Monday, super ready to implement, got bogged down in ad hoc meetings most of the day. OK, no problem, "I'll just work on it twice as much on Tuesday!" — which then required 2.5 hours of unplanned support for meetings, and an early facility closure due to the typhoon.

…Wednesday now.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6124 on: September 04, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
My boss, who happens to also be the CEO of the company just called me and was like "Hey, you travelled into the corporate office last week?"
"Yeah, you hired my new employee and asked me to come in and give them some training. I got your approval"
"But you took some calls from some clients didn't you?"
"Yeah boss, just a few calls a few minutes here and there."
"Then you should be charging all that to them."

:holeup
Now it's a matter of do I bail early or just wait for company to either fire me or go under and get the unemployment?
I know they won't fire me. Uggh.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6125 on: September 04, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
Literally boarding a plane and an announcement comes on saying that today is the anniversary of 9/11 and to take a moment to remember the tragedy. It's the fourth. I guess this is it for me, guys. It's been swell.
que

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #6126 on: September 05, 2018, 01:52:17 AM »
pretty sure the shitty water here is killing my hairline, i'll be posting about full-blown alopecia in the struggle thread before long

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6127 on: September 05, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
Literally boarding a plane and an announcement comes on saying that today is the anniversary of 9/11 and to take a moment to remember the tragedy. It's the fourth. I guess this is it for me, guys. It's been swell.

9/4, never forget.
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6128 on: September 05, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
every time I have pizza hut it's like a reverse liposuction and I feel horrible afterwards
每天生气

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6129 on: September 05, 2018, 11:29:32 PM »
YOU’RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6130 on: September 05, 2018, 11:32:12 PM »
Pizza hut all you can eat with dessert pizzas as a kid made me who I am. 

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6131 on: September 05, 2018, 11:39:39 PM »
Now that I know that I’m genetically predisposed to get colon cancer the only pizza I can have now is the fake kind that vegans/vegetarians and people with celiac disease eat.

:brazilcry

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6132 on: September 05, 2018, 11:41:49 PM »
Now that I know that I’m genetically predisposed to get colon cancer the only pizza I can have now is the fake kind that vegans/vegetarians and people with celiac disease eat.

que

Freaky Fred

« Reply #6133 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:15 AM »
Want to post in the Bore "MLB 2018" thread, but it hasn't been bumped since May, so it doesnt seem like anyone would care to discuss baseball with me anyways.

Plus, I wouldn't have anything interesting to say
yuck

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6134 on: September 06, 2018, 01:04:17 AM »
go dodgers!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6135 on: September 06, 2018, 04:23:55 AM »
TVC started using an avatar I use elsewhere, and every time I see his posts, I think they are mine and then go 'wait this isn't true, I never did this'.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6136 on: September 06, 2018, 04:26:05 AM »
put him on ignore  :rejoice

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6137 on: September 06, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Got passed up for a job I actually wanted. Other jobs I rejected because they weren't interesting or we weren't on the same page. But this one, I actually wanted. :fbm
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6138 on: September 06, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »
put him on ignore  :rejoice

Put yourself on ignore and live vicariously though TVC
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6139 on: September 06, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »
My dog got stung by something in the mouth.  Think i might have to go to the emergency vet

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6140 on: September 06, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »
Flight from Milwaukee delayed and I'll miss my connection in O'hare by 30 minutes.
Airline: We'll put you on a bus to get to chicago in time
On the smelly bus for an hour  get a text
"Your flight from Chicago has been delayed for 2 hours."
:goty
que

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6141 on: September 06, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »

We're all going to die and there's no point in living past 70; those years suck ass anyway.  Eat the good (bad) pizza anyway.
🍆🍆

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6142 on: September 07, 2018, 05:46:36 AM »
Agree about the quality of life past 70, but it seems like it might hit him well before then, though.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6143 on: September 07, 2018, 07:03:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm still planning on making it to 50.  :doge

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #6144 on: September 07, 2018, 07:49:31 AM »
Life’s not worth living without real pizza. Gluten free pizza is godawful. You’ll forget about your health after trying to choke thar shit down. Besides, are you just going to be eating cheese pizza, because there aren’t many healthy and tasty pizza toppings. You won’t make it through two slices before dropping this foolish crusade.

Do you really want to live to be elderly? I love you, Atra, but who’s going to take care of you? If you’re eating pussy food like gluten free pizza, no woman will ever breed with you. Without a wife or children to help you when you’re old, you’re just going to end up in a crooked elderly home, getting molested by teenagers, or worse, homeless and crazy.
serge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6145 on: September 07, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
I'm holding out for advanced cybernetics and cloned organs. Once those exist, I can become the geriatric cyberpunk I always dreamed of becoming. :doge

TVC15

« Reply #6146 on: September 07, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
I'm holding out for advanced cybernetics and cloned organs. Once those exist, I can become the geriatric cyberpunk I always dreamed of becoming. :doge

Global warming will make every living day miserable in the next 30 years or so. It’s not worth living through that. And if you do, you’ll live in an ever-worsening and depressing world as scarcity of key resources starts to seriously affect the first world. Live a life worth living now. Eat the goddamned real pizza.

Fuck, get extra pepperoni.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6147 on: September 07, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »

We're all going to die and there's no point in living past 70; those years suck ass anyway.  Eat the good (bad) pizza anyway.

Not sure if Bad Vibes Thread material or Good Vibes :thinking
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6148 on: September 08, 2018, 06:10:53 AM »
Having to keep an eye on disk access in task manager to see if Windows is actually updating still. :dsp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6149 on: September 08, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »
living past 50 is for queers

shosta

« Reply #6150 on: September 08, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
SUPERNOVA, BURN BRIGHT DIE YOUNG
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6151 on: September 08, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
this nicca gonna live to 150

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6152 on: September 08, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
I had a chorizo quesadilla and a gin & tonic for lunch today. YOLO.  :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6153 on: September 08, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »

Supernovae are stars that reached the end of their (extremely long) life, you muppet.

shosta

« Reply #6154 on: September 08, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
Supernovae are stars that reached the end of their (extremely long) life, you muppet.
The largest stars in the Universe are supergiant stars. These are monsters with dozens of times the mass of the Sun. Unlike a relatively stable star like the Sun, supergiants are consuming hydrogen fuel at an enormous rate and will consume all the fuel in their cores within just a few million years. Supergiant stars live fast and die young, detonating as supernovae; completely disintegrating themselves in the process.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #6155 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Global warming will make every living day miserable in the next 30 years or so. It’s not worth living through that. And if you do, you’ll live in an ever-worsening and depressing world as scarcity of key resources starts to seriously affect the first world.
Witnessing something that exciting actually sounds like the cure to most people's ennui. The few remaining people suddenly have a role in life, existence becomes a struggle, etc.
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6156 on: September 08, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »
I feel another breakdown coming on. Too much borked. Too little time to fix it.  :-\
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6157 on: September 08, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
I'm gonna be back to working 50 to 60 hour work weeks again if we don't get a 2nd production designer soon. :noah

I swear to fuck if we go this whole year without hiring someone new I'm out of this death trap of a job beginning of 2019.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6158 on: September 08, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
why would your employer pay a second salary when they can pay you to do the work of two or more people?  :success

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6159 on: September 08, 2018, 07:36:54 PM »
Also, our front developer already had to take herself to the ER this week.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Doesn't help that she's morbidly obese. But still.  :doge
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6160 on: September 08, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »
No offense Atra, but the only thing keeping me here is that I have kids to feed, and even that is a tenuous reason. You're young and single. Why do this to yourself?
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6161 on: September 08, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
Because I'm afraid that I'll end up somewhere worse or that I have to move to some expensive as fuck city where my pay will be higher but my standard of living will be a lot lower.

edit: for example, I could end up making $50K in Atlanta but living expenses would eat into a good chunk of my salary and I would end up scraping by like I do with my $30K salary in the small city I live in now. Also, I wouldn’t have the benefit of my current social connections (my brother allowing me to live out of his nice house, my friend that gets me weed, etc.)  :doge
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:06:29 AM by Atramental »

Freaky Fred

« Reply #6162 on: September 10, 2018, 01:28:54 AM »
someone bumped the MLB 2018 thread, and I still don't have anything interesting to say in it
yuck

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6163 on: September 10, 2018, 01:54:52 AM »
I just remembered I got assigned to help somebody with a work project. Last update went:

Me: Okay so would you and the engineer be fine with xyz location for the sampling port?

Colleague: The ops plan states this and we should just follow it.

*pastes paragraph from ops plan*

Me: Yeah I wrote that paragraph as vaguely as possible because we didn't decide anything yet and we'll be held to whatever we submit to regulators. My suggestion is xyz location.

I haven't received a response in a week, is this the point where I'm allowed to burn the office to the ground?

It feels like any decent project manager either becomes a consultant or move on to a different role.
[close]

skullstorm

« Reply #6164 on: September 10, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »
Someone in my apartment building got a new dog that howls and cries everytime it's left alone and it goes on for an hour or two at a time and then it probably falls asleep but if someone makes a loud noise somewhere in the building the dog starts crying again  :-\  And it's so heartbreaking to hear! I feel like I should go feed it through the letter box like Elaine on Seinfeld...

If it wasn't my last week of hanging around with nothing to do at home all day I'd leave the owner a note that I can dogsit. Well, come next week I shouldn't hear it much anymore. Still feel bad for the doggo  :-\

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #6165 on: September 10, 2018, 06:14:11 AM »
I just remembered I got assigned to help somebody with a work project. Last update went:

Me: Okay so would you and the engineer be fine with xyz location for the sampling port?

Colleague: The ops plan states this and we should just follow it.

*pastes paragraph from ops plan*

Me: Yeah I wrote that paragraph as vaguely as possible because we didn't decide anything yet and we'll be held to whatever we submit to regulators. My suggestion is xyz location.

I haven't received a response in a week, is this the point where I'm allowed to burn the office to the ground?

It feels like any decent project manager either becomes a consultant or move on to a different role.
[close]
just respond with something like "since no one has objected, we will proceed with location xyz on dd/mm/yy, thanks." and take it from there

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6166 on: September 10, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Someone in my apartment building got a new dog that howls and cries everytime it's left alone and it goes on for an hour or two at a time and then it probably falls asleep but if someone makes a loud noise somewhere in the building the dog starts crying again  :-\  And it's so heartbreaking to hear! I feel like I should go feed it through the letter box like Elaine on Seinfeld...

If it wasn't my last week of hanging around with nothing to do at home all day I'd leave the owner a note that I can dogsit. Well, come next week I shouldn't hear it much anymore. Still feel bad for the doggo  :-\

Drop them a letter, letting them know how bad it is.  Sometimes owners don't know. 

skullstorm

« Reply #6167 on: September 10, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
Yea I've wondered if they're even aware. Since it can last hours at a time they really should find a way to help the poor little guy.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6168 on: September 11, 2018, 01:12:56 AM »
Today was one of those days that the only choice I had was to let my rage fuel my work. It made for a productive day, but holy hell, I've left so much desolation behind me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:54:43 AM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6169 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:35 AM »
What did you do with the bodies?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6170 on: September 11, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
Sat at breakfast today, listening to my new BT earphones. I'd paired them to a tablet and my phone, and they'd done a pretty great job determining where they should be paying attention. Until this morning. It chimes and announces "disconnected" and "connected" with such frequency that I can't hear the podcast at all.

Like, considering I have a $25 pair of wireless headphones that connect effortlessly most of the time, and sound pretty good, it's embarrassing to complain about. Definitely a champagne problem. Didn't seem trivial at the moment though.

Today was one of those days that the only choice I had was to let my rage fuel my work. It made for a productive day, but holy hell, I've left so much desolation behind me.

Weird. That was looking like how it was going to go for me as well, but then I got sanity checked by one good fellow on my team. Seriously, I was starting to think I was going to have to supply the IT division with new orifices, the locations of which they would not be eligible to choose.

TVC15

« Reply #6171 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:11 AM »
Either my Sony or Bose wireless earbuds had that problem. It was too much for me :(
serge

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #6172 on: September 11, 2018, 03:30:59 PM »
Cleaning root canals without a nurse is an astronomical pain in the ass. :maf

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6173 on: September 11, 2018, 04:18:50 PM »
:drool
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6174 on: September 11, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »

You're working the problem from the wrong end.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6175 on: September 11, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
chronovore: The wisest of us all
que

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #6176 on: September 12, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »

You're working the problem from the wrong end.

That ain't what yo moma said.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6177 on: September 13, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6178 on: September 13, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
waluigi over here can't handle some basic plumbing

Yeti