Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 885253 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #6180 on: September 14, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »
i was making a dumb post in the dumpster thread and remembered this that happened a while ago

department needs to replace its main first level statistics books because it's for outdated SPSS versions and nobody thought to ask the department before letting the license lapse, so they also started exploring other software packages for it

i found a book that covered like four or five of them that they have been considering including even R and was real good at basic teaching how to use them, the department rejected it because it didn't include anything on politics, all the examples were like counting oranges or bananas or apples or whatever

of course, the department wants to subscribe to some massive package rather than using, to pick a random one, SageMath as a GUI for R, even though none of the courses really do much you can't do with Excel's tools, and the licenses for this don't apply to the profs research anyway.

Someone has been promoting WINKS for years because they used it as an undergrad or grad or something at FSU I think, even though it's not technically Windows 10 (or 8 even) compatible and I don't even remember if it has Linux or Mac versions, BUT this image is literally on the WINKS homepage:

:wow

edit: winks page: https://www.texasoft.com/

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6181 on: September 14, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
Welp. I think the desolation I left earlier this week is nothing compared to the smoldering crater I've left today. It was a move you only hear about in shows and hushed rumors of things that happen to friends of friends.  They wanted a bus, I threw a nuke.  I'm on the verge of pulling the whole team. Up to executives now. 

Just goes to show, you treat people like dogs, you turn them into wolves.
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6182 on: September 14, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »
I hope you at least gave a courtesy flush.
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6183 on: September 14, 2018, 06:43:43 PM »
Welp. I think the desolation I left earlier this week is nothing compared to the smoldering crater I've left today. It was a move you only hear about in shows and hushed rumors of things that happen to friends of friends.  They wanted a bus, I threw a nuke.  I'm on the verge of pulling the whole team. Up to executives now. 

I'm missing so much context. Did you get a different job after you took that first hiatus? And the new company you moved to sucks?
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #6184 on: September 14, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
I hope you at least gave a courtesy flush.

I thought this was about a giant shit for the first couple sentences too. :lol

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6185 on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »

I'm missing so much context. Did you get a different job after you took that first hiatus? And the new company you moved to sucks?
Same company and client. I left things got worse while I was gone. I had enough.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6186 on: September 15, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
Realizing you've finally hit adulthood when you get excited for the house to be empty not so you can jerk off or get high, but clean in peace  :larry
This isn't the bad vibes thread :ufup
que

shosta

« Reply #6187 on: September 16, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »
I motherfucking HATE white boomers
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #6188 on: September 18, 2018, 02:56:32 AM »
today I cost the store anywhere between $10k and $30k.  :larry
每天生气

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6189 on: September 18, 2018, 03:01:50 AM »
If it's any consolation, you're just accelerating the inevitable death of most brick and mortar retail stores.  :trumps

shosta

« Reply #6190 on: September 18, 2018, 03:02:38 AM »
That's not a consolation, I work there
 :busta
每天生气

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #6191 on: September 18, 2018, 03:15:23 AM »
I’m starting to have sexual thoughts about my classmate. :doge

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6192 on: September 18, 2018, 03:17:28 AM »
It is really hard to score molly when all your friends are lame. I don't know anyone with a connection.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6193 on: September 18, 2018, 06:14:06 AM »
Had a weekend at home with the family, took an early morning train back to my current place of employment, 4 hours in transit, and have worked a full day. Brain stopped working about 30 minutes ago. Not sure if I'm cut out to be away from my family for three weeks at a time. already thinking about how to move back to a local-to-home job.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6194 on: September 18, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
I’m starting to have sexual thoughts about my classmate. :doge
Male or female?  Describe them?  I'm really interested  :doge :) :-[

Tasty

« Reply #6195 on: September 18, 2018, 12:01:24 PM »
today I cost the store anywhere between $10k and $30k.  :larry

And you weren't even drunk or high this time I bet. Tsk tsk.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6196 on: September 18, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
Had a weekend at home with the family, took an early morning train back to my current place of employment, 4 hours in transit, and have worked a full day. Brain stopped working about 30 minutes ago. Not sure if I'm cut out to be away from my family for three weeks at a time. already thinking about how to move back to a local-to-home job.
I feel ya. Having a travelling job is hard. Yes, you do make more money, but your life doesn't get better for it, especially when you're married and have kids. Take my advice, decide early if it's for you or not.  Because companies are very good about the golden handcuffs, especially as you stay longer.
que

nudemacusers

« Reply #6197 on: September 18, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
When ur at work and ur wife complains about her engorged rock hard boobs and how they’re exploding with milk but won’t take a pic for you  :'(
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6198 on: September 18, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
ya hate when ur wife does that. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6199 on: September 18, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
When ur at work and ur wife complains about her engorged rock hard boobs and how they’re exploding with milk but won’t take a pic for you  :'(
Jesus fucking Christ.  If you get that picture then I need that picture.  I need to see this.  Milk milk milk milk milk milk

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6200 on: September 18, 2018, 03:31:33 PM »
Squeeze em a bit so they oooooooze

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6201 on: September 18, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6202 on: September 19, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »
I wrote something super dark and fucked up (it's TVC-esque but less sexual  :doge ) since I'm in a bad mood today due to work.

I'll probably save it for my dark and fucked up webcomic.   :doge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6203 on: September 19, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Brought a cigar back from Belize that apparently had tobacco beetles in it. Fuuuuuuuuu. Now I’m freezing all my cigars as I found a couple of indications they got into some of my expensive ones. Fuckers.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #6204 on: September 20, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »
Had a dream my dad (former alcoholic) started drinking again, and when I confronted him about it he punched me in the face. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #6205 on: September 20, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
Did he punch you in the dream or in real life?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6206 on: September 20, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »
Ya, people confronting me about dream me is fighting words. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6207 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
The air conditioner stopped working last night.  Had a technician out today and found out that the outdoor AC unit compressor unit is dead.  Gonna be $900 for a replacement unit...and since it has to be ordered from the manufacturer, it might not be ready for installation until sometime next week.   :'( 

What sucks worse was going outside with the guy- we took off the top of the unit and it unleashed a swarm of mosquitoes.  Got bit the fuck up. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #6208 on: September 20, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »

It's like "WTF that wasn't even me."

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6209 on: September 20, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
The air conditioner stopped working last night.  Had a technician out today and found out that the outdoor AC unit compressor unit is dead.  Gonna be $900 for a replacement unit...and since it has to be ordered from the manufacturer, it might not be ready for installation until sometime next week.   :'( 

What sucks worse was going outside with the guy- we took off the top of the unit and it unleashed a swarm of mosquitoes.  Got bit the fuck up.
You sure it isn't just the capacitor needing to be replaced? It's like an 8 dollar part and an easy fix(usually 3 wires to disconnect, then reconnect). Supposed to be the most common cause of a/c units going out.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6210 on: September 20, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »

https://m.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6211 on: September 20, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »

You sure it isn't just the capacitor needing to be replaced? It's like an 8 dollar part and an easy fix(usually 3 wires to disconnect, then reconnect). Supposed to be the most common cause of a/c units going out.
This is also what I would check. AC technicians are notoriously shady like car mechanics. I have family that do HVAC work and they tell me all the time about how they get called for a second opinion and it’s somethig easy as hell but the first technician told the customer it was something else.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6212 on: September 20, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
This is also what I would check. AC technicians are notoriously shady like car mechanics. I have family that do HVAC work and they tell me all the time about how they get called for a second opinion and it’s somethig easy as hell but the first technician told the customer it was something else.

This is a pretty trustworthy company and I've never had any problems with their technicians before.  Googled about it when he said the compressor was dead and results said the same thing about it often being misdiagnosed.  I watched him and he did some tests on the wires and the compressor.  The wire connected to the compressor wasn't registering anything.  He brought out what looked like a capacitor and tried it, but the compressor still didn't work.  It would start up, then make some noises and shut down.

Then he got on the phone with the manufacturer, asked them if this unit had a warranty (I wouldn't have even known to ask about that since it was there before we moved in), confirmed it had one, and ordered it for me.  There were no charges for this visit and he also told me he was dreading having to install new unit, lol.  The price he got also lined up with the cost for a replacement unit when I looked up the part number.  So I think it's OK?  Didn't really get any kind of alarm bells going off about it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:41:59 PM by bork »
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6213 on: September 20, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
Feel like bringing up wage gap issue at work.  :-\

shosta

« Reply #6214 on: September 20, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
I want to hear more deets about that. Isn't discussing wage illegal?
每天生气

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6215 on: September 20, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
Why would it be illegal to discuss wage with your coworkers? In my case I've been stuck as a contractor for almost two years and make 50-80% less than my peers, who have all been here for less time and have less certs/relevant experience. In fact, I am the lowest paid person in any position in the company.

However I have the responsibilities of a mid level manager (rough equivalent of a project manager/team lead). Starting a year ago, all my work would get presented or run through my peers who are in permanent positions. That's the worst part, not having my work recognized as my own.

The reason I bring up wage gap is that while I don't necessarily think my supervisors are bigoted, I do think they shy away from having somebody with a visible birth defect in a central position. Which is ridiculous since I'm the only one who never gets stressed out and I don't get intimidated in arguing with people about why they need to do particular things.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6216 on: September 20, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
It's not illegal, but it is discouraged by most employers.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6217 on: September 21, 2018, 06:12:34 AM »
I want to hear more deets about that. Isn't discussing wage illegal?

It would be a very weird and difficult thing to make illegal in the USA, but it's nearly always a bad idea to discuss current salaries because it consistently disturbs someone who is making less. If the person is unable to get an adjustment or be otherwise compensated, they're just going to be unhappy until they leave.

Yes, I'm advocating for ignorance, if you're not in a strong position to demand compensation or are sure of another job waiting for you.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6218 on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
My advice is remove yourself from the outcome.

Everything in business is a negotiation. The way you get the upper hand in that situation (or any) is to have just one condition and be prepared/willing to back it up. With basic structure:
 what you want. Why it's needed. What happens if you don't get it. A lot of people go in blind, or forget one of the three, both lead to disaster.

"I need x. Here's the reasons. Here's what will happen if I don't get x, then y will happen"

que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6219 on: September 23, 2018, 12:32:06 AM »
All employees should share wage info.  Information is power.

Tasty

« Reply #6220 on: September 23, 2018, 06:40:16 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6221 on: September 23, 2018, 06:45:55 AM »
Lingered longer than I should have and the door opened
so...who was lingering on the other side of the door :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #6222 on: September 23, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
That's a good question! In my opinion, the whole thing was a setup. :maf

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6223 on: September 23, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »
I just came back from a corporate retreat in Portland.  It was so tightly managed that I had almost no opportunity to explore the city.  I did sneak out to get a beef shawarma from one of the food carts during one of the tightly scheduled lunches.  In hindsight, I should have stayed a day or two extra.  I will definitely get back out there again in the future.
🍆🍆

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #6224 on: September 23, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
i still don't know what postmodernism means and just saw a tweet that said something about rightwing postmodernism so am trying to figure out that means instead of working. someone help me!

shosta

« Reply #6225 on: September 23, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
Not a struggle but could become one. People here might remember at the end of June I told my former boss we had to chill out at work. We haven't had an unprofessional relationship since then. But I left work with her yesterday because she was upset about something and some immature employees went to management about it so all the old gossip went straight to his desk. Said our "inappropriate relationship" had to stop immediately. She got reprimanded, I'm off so they haven't pulled me in yet but I know they will. This is bullshit because we've had a professional relationship ever since, but the gossip never stopped.

In short: shit where you eat, brehs
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6226 on: September 23, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
If only someone could have warned you! :hitler
que

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6227 on: September 23, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »
walmart cares about dumb shit like that   :pacspit

shosta

« Reply #6228 on: September 23, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
>warned
>stopped
>still got in trouble

Shut the fuck up. You haveent the slightest clue what its like to be me. You don't understand what I go thtough. All of you bore members mock me. You all think I'm a fucking loser, I dont ry the advice you tell me to, or I'm just a fucking psychoath,

I;m not. I;ve tried most of the advice you all gave me and for awhile it felt great, but when i tried it it always ends the same.
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6229 on: September 23, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »
Stay up shos, you're doing your best. Keep your head up and persist.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6230 on: September 23, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
now y'all gotta fuck. it's like double jeopardy, right  :trumps

shosta

« Reply #6231 on: September 23, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
toku this was copy-paste from the relationships thread :P
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6232 on: September 23, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
toku this was copy-paste from the relationships thread :P

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6233 on: September 23, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
>warned
>stopped
>still got in trouble

Shut the fuck up. You haveent the slightest clue what its like to be me. You don't understand what I go thtough. All of you bore members mock me. You all think I'm a fucking loser, I dont ry the advice you tell me to, or I'm just a fucking psychoath,

I;m not. I;ve tried most of the advice you all gave me and for awhile it felt great, but when i tried it it always ends the same.
I don't care what anyone says Shos, you've got great wit for a 10 year old.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6234 on: September 24, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »
Bought a PSVR, which I like. Been waffling over it for a year. Finally found one used. In Japan, "used" is mint-in-box more often than not.

I'd played SUPER HOT once, and want to play, but 2 Move controllers are needed. They're increasingly scarce. Found 2 of them today though, for less than half what Amazon wanted. One works, one won't charge.

So much for "more often than not."

Looked at how much replacement batteries are. They're even more crazily priced than the controllers. They're cheap in USA Amazon, but .co.jp is expensive. Going to have to return the Move, find a new one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6235 on: September 24, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
Got an email that they can come and fix the AC tomorrow. :hyper

Called to make an appointment: "Well...it hopefully will be tomorrow.  There's a rain forecast and we can't install the compressor if it's raining.  So it needs to be dry.  Lessee here...oh man.  It's supposed to rain every day this week.  I swear this happens every time."
:dead
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6236 on: September 24, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
bork deleted all the titty pics i posted :-\

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #6237 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:21 PM »
bork deleted all the titty pics i posted :-\

I just posted one in the NSFW sticky, just for you.
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6238 on: September 24, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
xxxtra spicy :lol

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6239 on: September 26, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Wife got rear ended when taking the kid to school. Thankfully, no one was injured. But now I have to deal with insurance and all that crap.
que