Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 152090 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
Also it's funny you 180'd from "hahaha, stupid fans holding out hope:

Prepare for giggles and laughs from Shenmue fan disappointment! STRAP IN.

to "I TOLD YOU SO! I ALWAYS BELIEVED! :rejoice " in a matter of hours after this reveal happened. The only reason this is getting funded is because most people want to support it finally happening and backing up fans crazy hope. If this bombs a third time, you can expect not even Sony funding a fourth. So you better hope Yu has a goddamn conclusion for the series planned in this outing.

I don't think you can read. I said I gave up years ago. Why can't I be happy this is finally happening? What is wrong with you? I also never said there was nothing wrong with hoping. There had been massive evidence stockpiling for years. The problem was Shenmue fans who were always expecting something and making our fan base a joke. There's nothing wrong in wanting something - there is something wrong with always expecting something despite prior evidence.

Sure, you "gave up years ago." But your reaction to this news being "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I BELIEVED! I BELIEVED!" is funny to me. You were all ":rejoice Gamer Tears :rejoice " and then it happens and you're all ":ohhh :phil " to the news.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Himu

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »
Also it's funny you 180'd from "hahaha, stupid fans holding out hope:

Prepare for giggles and laughs from Shenmue fan disappointment! STRAP IN.

to "I TOLD YOU SO! I ALWAYS BELIEVED! :rejoice " in a matter of hours after this reveal happened. The only reason this is getting funded is because most people want to support it finally happening and backing up fans crazy hope. If this bombs a third time, you can expect not even Sony funding a fourth. So you better hope Yu has a goddamn conclusion for the series planned in this outing.

I don't think you can read. I said I gave up years ago. Why can't I be happy this is finally happening? What is wrong with you? I also never said there was nothing wrong with hoping. There had been massive evidence stockpiling for years. The problem was Shenmue fans who were always expecting something and making our fan base a joke. There's nothing wrong in wanting something - there is something wrong with always expecting something despite prior evidence.

Sure, you "gave up years ago." But your reaction to this news being "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I BELIEVED! I BELIEVED!" is funny to me. You were all ":rejoice Gamer Tears :rejoice " and then it happens and you're all ":ohhh :phil " to the news.

Point me to a place where I said believed? Pretty positive my reaction is mostly due to the fact I didn't believe?

I mean, you have to understand. I am battered. I have been disappointed after hint after hint after teaser for almost ten years. You don't realize it's a defense mechanism. I couldn't get hyped or excited because that always sets up disappointment. :brazilcry
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
Will fund once I get my pay-

woah what

In.

(Image removed from quote.)
wait

waittttt

andrex is actually interested in a sega game?! andrex, you alright? are you feeling ok?

:wtf

I love Sega games. Historically they've been some of the most outright-fun pure-gameplay arcadey experiences ever. Great memories of House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, and the occasional Sonic game.

Himu

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »
Shenmue is not a pure gameplay experience, Andy. It blends gameplay with cinematic story telling. It's a game wholly driven by storytelling. Shenmue I has maybe less than 10 fights in it.
IYKYK

« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
You bitches won't kill my vibe.

Edit: I think it's mostly driven by immersion for me, however vague that may be defined. You felt like you actually lived in Yokosuka in the first game, and you felt like you were only a traveller in Hong Kong. No game has ever conveyed that as well to me.

studyguy

« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
Already funded. You can't stop this  :punch Fucking QTEs, capsule toys, sailors, 4wudu
pause

Himu

« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
Anyone else remember this? Ten years. :brazilcry

http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/news/200508/141_p1.asp

Kikizo broke my heart.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Himu

« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »
You bitches won't kill my vibe.

Edit: I think it's mostly driven by immersion for me, however vague that may be defined. You felt like you actually lived in Yokosuka in the first game, and you felt like you were only a traveller in Hong Kong. No game has ever conveyed that as well to me.

Agreed. I loved how in I it really was your home town and II was completely fish out of water. The way the dialogue enhanced this was a great touch. In Shenmue, you ask for where a place is and the npcs act like you already know where it is, which forces more exploration. In II, you ask where something is and they give these fucking elaborate directions, like, keep going that way and you'll see a man next to some birds, turn left and keep going.

Even the way you learn moves. I always loved how they never say stupid 4th wall shit like most games, and if you're going to do a move like <- -> X they'd say, shift your weight backward, then thrust forward as you punch.

Even the QTE's are like this. In other games, QTE's are fucking random button presses. In Shenmue, all the button prompts are in relation to actual buttons in fights. So if Ryo punches in a QTE, you press the punch button. If you're going to duck and then punch, you press down and then punch button. It was always so natural and consistent that few games have.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »
It will easily get to 5 million bucks, maybe 10 or 15 million.

For reference, it's made more than half of Bloodstained's total [$5.5 million] in about 14 hours.
dog

Himu

« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
What do you guys want in III?

I want more arcade games. I want Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 2 in Shenmue III. No, I don't care they didn't exist in the 80's!

And speaking of immersion, I want the voice track to be fully voiced in Chinese for maximum immersion. :rejoice
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
I want more arcade games. I want Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 2 in Shenmue III. No, I don't care they didn't exist in the 80's!

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Shenmue 3 including Sega arcade games, if I were you. Especially after reading the FAQ:

Is this game affiliated with SEGA?

SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license.

Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?

The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that.

Comes across like Sega throwing Yu Suzuki a bone by giving him their blessing to go forward with a game they have zero interest in pursuing, rather than Sega actually having some involvement themselves which would make it easier to put their arcades games in it.
dog

« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Yeeeeah, right.

As for what I want from it, I'm keeping my hopes down. I don't expect any games and little of the attention to detail, as I just don't think that's realistic given the circumstances. There's no way this lives up to I and II. I just want some conclusion to the story.

I wonder if Shenmue will ever return to a bigger city again.

Himu

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
I think we may hit Beijing in III.  It'd make sense if that's where Chi You Men hq is. One of he stretch goals is Bailu village. That seems familiar?

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Shenmue 3 including Sega arcade games, if I were you.

YSNet is licensing the Shenmue license. How much would it be to license Space Harrier, Hang On, Afterburner, Outrun, Daytona, and VF2?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
That trend line is the current daily average stretched out to the end, which is impossible to keep up. $7-$8 million is possible, though.

YSNet is licensing the Shenmue license. How much would it be to license Space Harrier, Hang On, Afterburner, Outrun, Daytona, and VF2?

You mean, how much would it cost to get rights to games that Sega might actually care about versus the rights to a game they have zero interest in? "More" is the answer to that, and I rather think you should be wanting them to put that money into core gameplay elements [cutscenes, combat, voice acting, graphics] than fun little additions.
dog

Himu

« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
Sega please give us Shenmue I+II HD with updated controls and Japanese VO at least.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »

And speaking of immersion, I want the voice track to be fully voiced in Chinese for maximum immersion. :rejoice

I just want Ryo to get out of that cave. :tocry

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
Sega released way more popular games in hd and they flopped. I think a rerelease is even less likely than 3, especially an enhanced one like you're hoping for.
pcp

Kara

« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
Sega released way more popular games in hd and they flopped. I think a rerelease is even less likely than 3, especially an enhanced one like you're hoping for.

Jimbodamus has spoken, hope you're ready for an amazing HD release Himu-chan. :hyper

Himu

« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Okay. I'll take concessions. Don't enhance it. Modernize the controls and give us Japanese vo and that's it.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
I think I'm going to get my sibling's name in the credits. Shenmue was the game that got them into gaming and a lot of my fondness for the title stems from that. (Got a call from mom once asking what they were playing that had them asking people where they could find some sailors. :dead) I had to cut them out of my life this year but I still love them and I hope they play this and see their name. :uguu

Tasty

« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »

And I want him to get out of the closet. :aah

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »

And into my car.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
Lol @ people paying so much to play this. Incredible

Himu

« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2015, 03:06:46 PM »

Stick to Minecraft.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Like, I don't really care that much about playing Shenmue 3. I played the original back in the day, liked it okay and thought what it did was pretty amazing at the time, but I didn't even play Shenmue 2 all that much. To me, though, the Shenmue 3 announcement is what E3 is all about: crazy surprise announcements that people go nuts over. Seeing the extreme reactions from people made it totally worth it.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »
I have zero interest for shenmue 3. Played the originals and thought they were mostly over-rated even back then although they had interesting little bits in them. That being said, good on them for making something for the audience that wants it. It's no different to me than any other kickstarter. If it interests a person. That's cool. If it doesn't that's cool too.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »

Stick to Minecraft.

:gurl I don't care how much you wanted to play this game, people pledging 100+ aren't gonna get that value out of it. But who am I to stand in the way of the fleecing of nerds?

Himu

« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
Who said anything about value? I want to donate 200 dollars, but the rewards are mostly the reason.

At the 200 dollar level I would get:

- Printed artbook curated by Yu Suzuki
- Backer-only Advanced Technique Scroll (In-game Item)
- 20 Capsule Toy Tickets  (In-game Item)
- Mp3 download of the original soundtrack with unreleased tracks
- Shenmue 3 T-shirt
- Digital copy of the trial version for PC
- My name in the credits.
- Physical PC version.
- Be able to participate in surveys and vote in polls for the ideas you want to see in the game.

I usually scoff at collectors editions and stuff. I find all of that stuff extraneous and stupid, but not with Shenmue. I want it all. :rejoice I'm considering doing the 250 level for the physical OST.   :mynicca Shenmue II didn't have a soundtrack released and I want in. :hyper
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
I don't want anything physical which is why I didn't donate more.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2015, 04:58:06 PM »
I almost went with the Physical OST reward but eh, it was $75 more than the one below it. Dunno if some CDs are worth $75 for me. Also remember they'll add $10 to whatever you contribute for shipping any physical rewards.

Kara

« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
You forgot Yu Suzuki's gratitude, Himu. That alone is worth at least $5. :wag

qq more

« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »
Are the Toy Capsules physical or is it an in-game item? The wording is sort of confusing me and would like some clarification.

"An actual toy capsule that will appear in the game!"

Leaning towards the former though.
ok

Himu

« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
I don't know. I think they're real.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
Seems like he capsule is a physical replica of one in the game

Himu

« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
Yeah, I just went with 60 because I can't afford anything else right now. :tocry I really hope I can get the soundtrack without going through KS when this comes out.

Speaking of the soundtrack, that is looking REALLY good right now with Iuchi coming back. Here's hoping they reunite the entire soundtrack team.

IYKYK

« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »
Seems like it's confirmed now that Sony is involved more deeply.

Himu

« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
Yu Suzuki interview coming soon!

Also:

IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Yeah, I just went with 60 because I can't afford anything else right now. :tocry I really hope I can get the soundtrack without going through KS when this comes out.

:tocry

cool breeze

« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
Seems like it's confirmed now that Sony is involved more deeply.

yeah, same situation as bloodstained.  kickstarter to gauge interest.

« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »
Gio Corci mentioned in their livestream that Sony ARE helping with funding and development.

Prob the same situation as SFV then. Sony seems chill on these games getting PC releases.

Himu

« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
Yeah, Sony are being real champs over here. They could easily make this shit exclusive to their system but nope, they letting PC gamers eat. :rejoice Thanks for funding these games and allowing me to not forcing me to buy your system, brehs. :rejoice
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
Will the project continue raking money at the same page in light of this now?
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2015, 06:04:08 PM »
I don't understand your question? What do you mean same page? The project is on considering how fast this got funded likely. Sony probably won't go all out in terms of money.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
I think he meant "pace".

« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Why are people mad at this?

It didn't get made before the KS thing.

It gets made now.

Who the fuck cares about anything else.

I'm a massive MS fanboy, and I'm simply glad this is happening. Thanks Sony, you sold me my first PlayStation.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In 2017 at the earliest
[close]

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »
Never played a Shenmue before, pledged 29$  :yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
Yu Suzuki interview.

Confirms Sony is co-developing and publishing. Also confirms this will be a FULL Shenmue experience.

I still can't believe this shit. This is actually happening, isn't it?
IYKYK

Himu

Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread (Sony backed, full Shenmue experience)
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »
Yu posted a plog on Playstation.

Hello everyone. Yu Suzuki here. It has been 14 years since Shenmue II first went on sale. The game system it was released on, the Dreamcast, is not around anymore, but the voices of the fans that have been eagerly awaiting the sequel are still there and are as loud as ever. Any country I visit for work, any event where I am up on stage, any interview I do, the question I always get asked is, “When is the next Shenmue coming out?”

Moved by the fans and their passion, I have been constantly doing my homework and preparing for this day. And here it is — today marks the beginning of the Shenmue III project on Kickstarter. If there were to be a sequel to Shenmue, I wanted the voices of the fans to be heard, so we could make it together. I knew that could happen with Kickstarter.

PlayStation fans love video games, deeply understand video games, and have great ideas about what video games should be. Your support and cooperation will be absolutely necessary for this project. Our Kickstarter goal of 2 million dollars is certainly not an easy one. However, if we do reach that 2 million dollar mark, Shenmue will live again on PS4 (and PC).

The more our project can collect for game development during this campaign, the more the game will come alive — with more quests, more story events, more mini-games, the addition of a free-battle system, and more fight options. Stretch goals are part of the project to show supporting fans what they can expect as project funds increase. Like at the 2.5 million dollar stretch goal, Shenmue I & II flashback scenes will be added.

If you have not heard of Shenmue or are a first-time Shenmue gamer, this stretch goal will give you an even deeper gaming experience. Both you and your friends will benefit from your support, and you will be helping to create the next generation of Shenmue fans.

One of the rewards for the project will be the Shenmue III Demo Version. Something like this, of course, was not around for I & II. This is a Kickstarter-only privilege that will allow you to play Shenmue III before it gets to the stores. Besides me and the development team, those who play the Demo Version will really have the first word on the new Shenmue III.
We have a lot to show you, so please come and take a look at our project page.
So, until next time!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/yu-suzuki-begins-crowdfunding-shenmue-iii-on-ps4/
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
Why are people mad at this?

It didn't get made before the KS thing.

It gets made now.

Who the fuck cares about anything else.

I'm a massive MS fanboy, and I'm simply glad this is happening. Thanks Sony, you sold me my first PlayStation.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In 2017 at the earliest
[close]

They're angry because they stopped loving games years ago and never stood for anything greater than themselves so seeing our love and self-sacrifice prevail is like two daggers twisting in their hearts. If they even still have hearts. They deserve our pity, not our ire.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »
Kickstarter for these types of projects is a real shitty way to manipulate the system just to be a barometer for consumer interest. They set false goals and the general public gets conned into thinking games cost a lot lower than they really do.

This project is literally pre-ordering a game for full price years ahead of release. I'll just pocket my money and wait until it's released so I can get a physical boxed version.

I was also there near the very front and people lost their shit. A guy was literally sobbing not in front of me. It was pretty cool though being part of gaming history and being feet away from Yu Suzuki at GDC for his Shenmue presentation and now E3 for this.

Tasty

« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2015, 07:04:57 PM »

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168482158&postcount=4675

Good jon, Yu. You could have saved this person's life by announcing the KS before Friday, but noooooo, you had to give in to the game of hype and console wars.
Unzip

Kara

« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
Hanged.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2015, 07:27:26 PM »
The problem is that crowdfunding being used by billionaire companies is somewhat jarring to a lot of people, who think it's an antithesis to what this system should be supporting. Because they don't need it really and they're pushing aside amateur projects which are the ones who are supposed to rely on unconventional funding. 2 millions (or even 4 or 6) is almost chump change for a project like Shenmue and certainly for Sony (I know it's not Sony that does the KS, but they suggested the idea to Yu Suzuki, clearly). For them it is all just a cheap way to gain some viral marketing traction and pre-orders masquerading as donations. It's the same modern nadsat that substitute "professionalism" with "passion" and it is being instrumentalised to strip the public up to the most fundamental customer's rights.

Of course if we go over the finer points, there's as always a large grey area in those matters but not really when the situation is so comically being abused by a company the size of Sony.

Jadedness aside, everyone is free to do what he wants with his money and while not a big Shenmue fan, I recognize it is really a miracle it may exist at all (way more than TLG or FF7R) so I won't rain on the fan's parade constantly. I fear the final result will be underwhelming, but heh...

EDIT : Also I believe crowdfunding is not really compatible with a project of that ambition or that size.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:51:50 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
Because this was on Kickstarter I found something completely unrelated that I'm also backing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/puuung1/love-is-puuungs-illustration-of-love

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »
if it takes a relative handful of people with a lot of disposable income to chip in to a pile that'll ultimately allow a game to get made when it wouldn't otherwise, then who cares? how does it hurt you or anyone else? they're basically allowing people to buy super limited premium packages of their game is all.

and the bit about taking money from small devs is straight up bs. there's not a limited pool of money for all games on ks; anyone can succeed. these big projects get a lot of money bc people know the track record of the team behind them and know that they will almost undoubtedly deliver a finished product.

I swear some of yall have this warped naive view of how money moves in the industry. so many gamers judge companies with the same criteria they should be using to judge friendships...
pcp

Himu

« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2015, 07:58:06 PM »
I read a post on gaf earlier about Sony funding and the KS guaging interest and some moron was like "not a fan of this approach" as if there's any other approach available. Gamers :snoop
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
Money is infinite. -Jimbo