Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 49377 times)

archie4208

Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« on: August 12, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

:lawd
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:03:00 AM by bork »

Himu

Re: REmake 2 confirmed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
I'm excited yet skeptical for this. I mean, no Mikami and co. so I really wonder how good it'll be.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
WE DO IT
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
I'm excited yet skeptical for this. I mean, no Mikami and co. so I really wonder how good it'll be.

The dude that pitched it did REmake HD. So basically he polished up a few areas (but not all of them due to being pressed for time), I have some confidence, despite him being the lead of RE6.

Also:

:tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
W E
E

D O
O

I T
T
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
Leaked screenshot:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »
Nice

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:28:14 AM »
Can't wait for this. RE2 was the best of the original (pre-RE4) series until REmake came out.
this is so frigging true.

I know RE is generally about being isolated, but spending some more time with RE2's characters certainly couldn't be a bad thing. Chief Irons is one of the best villains of the series and you barely got to know him.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 05:47:25 AM »
I've only ever finished RE4, even though I started with RE1 and played 2, 3, 4, 5 and Revelations 2.

Really want to get REmake and give it another go, excited for this too.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
I'd rather have RE7 with 4 player coop and my man, Chris-senpai.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
2 was the first Resident Evil I ever played, on the N64 of all things. I'm excited to see how REmake 2 turns out.
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »
on the N64 of all things.

Fully-voiced, pre-rendered backgrounds, and CG cutscenes. The technological wizardry on display was astounding.
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
on the N64 of all things.

Fully-voiced, pre-rendered backgrounds, and CG cutscenes. The technological wizardry on display was astounding.

There's a postmortem on the N64 version http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131556/postmortem_angel_studios_.php here and it's the craziest motherfucking shit I've ever read

This is from back when men were men, from what I understand the guys who did this are still getting laid every night because of their accomplishment

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »
Didnt they just use a bigger cart?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
I bought the N64 version from our very own Positive Touch god bless his soul
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
lol there was one year where I went crazy and bought up every version of re I could find, plus every mediocre ripoff. that was a lot of tedious gaming.
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »

Resident Evil 2 was on the biggest N64 cartridge that Nintendo ever made, but that still only gave them 64MB [compared to 1.3GB available on two CDs for the PS1 version].
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 11:30:31 PM »

Resident Evil 2 was on the biggest N64 cartridge that Nintendo ever made, but that still only gave them 64MB [compared to 1.3GB available on two CDs for the PS1 version].

Damn.how the hell did they compress stuff? I need to read that postmortem

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 03:54:20 AM »
the CG videos were highly compressed (like watching a youtube video at lower res), the dialog sounded a bit off (still not bad), but otherwise it was a great port. It even had upgraded character models and improved controls.

it really was a gol-dern thing of beauty, and just about mindblowing back in the day for a N64-only owner at the time (hey, I was young).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
lol there was one year where I went crazy and bought up every version of re I could find, plus every mediocre ripoff. that was a lot of tedious gaming.

Did you play the Tiger Game.com version?
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »
unfortunately no. I have standards*

actually wasn't the game cancelled or never released?

*I have no standards. I played thru every pathway in resident evil survivor.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:52:12 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »

actually want the game cancelled or never released?

It was real, but it wasn't as bad this horror.

©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »
:lol a old friend of mine asked his grandma for castlevania 2 for his birthday. she gave him castlevania 2... the tiger handheld version. he was mad about that for years.
pcp

thisismyusername

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 06:07:11 PM »

actually wasn't the game cancelled or never released?

No it released and outside of the lack of graphics and only Leon A, it actually seemed like a competent (well, competent for Tiger handhelds) port of the PSX original release.

So have I. Though on the US version so I didn't have that "shoot up at the sky to walk forward" gimmick.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »
lmao Christ had never heard that. I thought there was no way the game could be worse but here ya go
pcp

thisismyusername

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:37 AM »
As the first release of the Gun Survivor series, this game was a major difference from the main Resident Evil series, substituting the third-person perspective of the previous games to a first-person view. The Japanese and European versions of the game were compatible with Namco's GunCon/G-Con 45 light gun, making it one of the first off-rail light gun games, whereas light-gun compatibility was removed from the North American release due to shooting games being partly blamed for the motivation of the then-recent Columbine High School massacre.[1]

The player takes control of an amnesiac protagonist, struggling desperately against overwhelming odds to stay alive and uncover his identity. Survivor's gameplay is a combination of first-person shooter and arcade-style light gun game. The player views the environment from the perspective of the character (first person view) and moves the character through the environment with the controller. At the same time, if the player wishes to attack an enemy or destroy an object, they press a button which allows them to control a crosshair on the screen. This crosshair can be moved to any location within the main character's line of sight. When using a light gun, players move around by shooting off screen to move and the side buttons to turn, and point at the screen to shoot enemies.

It wasn't that bad on release, but it's a pretty weak outing overall. I haven't even played the other two or so releases in that series (and the only other one in the west is that one on a Boat and not the Code Veronica re-telling).

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 03:16:31 AM »
yeah, that game, the PS2 RE-Dead Aim. That game kinda rules. Dino Stalker was pants, but Dead Aim was pretty dope, nice graphics, decent challenge, even controlled well enough for the non-shooting bits.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »
I wouldn't call dead aim a good game, but it was a million times better than survivor (I.e. it actually looked like a finished product). I held on to my copy; think I might give it a playthru again sometime soon.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
I've been going thru umbrella chronicles (the lightgun game that covers re 0,1, and 3) and it's really fun too. the mechanics and encounters are well-designed and they did a great job of making 3d versions of all those old prerendered backgrounds.
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/08/21/claire-returns-to-raccoon-city-in-new-resident-evil-2-info-from-gamescom

With Resident Evil 2 coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on January 25th, 2019, you won’t have to wait much longer to return to Raccoon City.

:mouf

Svejk

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
I'm not too big on remakes, but this just looks too damn good.  Could this turn out to be even better than RE4??... is that just crazy talk. lol

Tasty

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
I think early PS1 era 3D games are prime targets for big budget remakes.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
It's a reimagining, so the og will remain a GOAT alongside this.

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
REmake + RE2 + RE4 sounds like the best game ever to me, personally. :mouf

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
Claire is dressed just like Ada in RE6.  Coincidence...or conspiracy? :thinking

Yeah, RE6 sucks. But everybody and their mother would tell you the Leon campaign was at least serviceable in that.

For me it's Leon/Whatsername and Ada campaigns = Good (not great), the real RE6, etc etc.  Chris/Pierce campaign = OK at best, kinda shit.  Jake/Sherry campaign = WTF is this shit?

I need to go back and replay RE6.  People say once you get all the mechanics down it's better, especially the extra mercs-style modes.  But I also need to finish Revelations 2 and start RE7 already.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
steve still the goat

hoping the REmake code veronica next
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:28:43 PM by Great Rumbler »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
it annoys me to no end that the internet re fanbase loves cvx but hates re5. rrrrrrgh

and there's no reason to replay re6, especially if you haven't payed 7 yet. only reason to go back to 6 is for mercenaries mode.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »
also i hope re2r has an online mode. that was one of the other redeeming things about 6: you could pop into someone's game and play for a while, you could run across other online duos sometimes, and you could even troll as a zombie on a few maps! very well integrated dynamic multiplayer
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
the jill shit was dumb but i appreciated that they finally wrote a beginning and an end to the re lore. and the wesker shit owned wtf dude was catching rockets and died in a fishing volcano. perfect end for a villain in this super cheesy series.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »
i love the series but I'd say some of its spinoffs are among the worst of any major franchise. survivor, orc, umbrella corp, gaiden, all shit that should've never made it to market. at least those light gun games are damn good.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 02:24:52 PM »
the jill shit was dumb but i appreciated that they finally wrote a beginning and an end to the re lore. and the wesker shit owned wtf dude was catching rockets and died in a fishing volcano. perfect end for a villain in this super cheesy series.

I loved RE5.  I think RE4 and RE5 are easily my favorites in the series and the only ones I replayed multiple times.  Even spent a large amount of time with RE5's multiplayer versus modes on 360 back then!  RE6 was such a let down in comparison and I am not big on the direction of RE7, which is why I still haven't played it.  Revelations was great and Revelations 2 is kind of crap from what I've played of it.

Lingering things about Resident Evil that I wish Capcom would have addressed:

Steve Burnside- They made it a thing to go back and re-release Code Veronica with added cut scenes, including one with Wesker taking Steve's body away.  Why?  I figured them doing this meant he'd come back in some form later on, but nothing happened.

The downfall of Umbrella- Code Veronica ends with Chris and Claire gearing up to go take it to Umbrella...and we never see anything.  We also get snippets of a fight against them in Umbrella Chronicles, in what is supposed to be their "final stronghold," but IIRC their headquarters was supposed to be in France.  A whole game about their downfall would have been cool.  Something more action-like where Chris/Jill/Claire/Leon/everybody all invades their headquarters.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
I like CVX and 0 because I like the old formula, but it's not like I could recommend them nearly as easily as the GOATs 2 and REmake. Definitely very flawed games. 3 on the other hand isn't nearly as mediocre as I remembered, despite some weak aspects.

I always loved RE4 for what it is, but I was one of the snobs annoyed by the new direction. I wouldn't have minded the new camera (the cancelled ogRE4 demo looked amazing), but it went from adventure to corridor shooter with a story that was very different in style despite the shared clownery between old and new. It's like following up Alien with Terminator 2... like, yeah the latter is great, but how does it fit? Then RE5 felt like a Chinese RE4-ripoff, just trash. Played it twice coop with a friend but never even bought it myself. Didn't bother with 6 afterwards.

Revelations 2 was great, a very satisyfing comeback for Claire and Barry with good selfaware writing and setting. The gameplay was kind of a toned-down RE4 to at least somewhat feel in line with the old games, which worked quite well for me. Then RE7 had some of the better moments in the entire series and RE2make looks like an even more refined RE7 in 3rd person. Hopefully that calladuty/party game phase of the series is forever dead.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 02:44:47 PM »
Oh yeah, RE0- never played through it.  Just could not get into it for some reason.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
I think I've played almost every game in the series..

but not REII or RE3.

I should probably be ashamed of myself.
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
It's like following up Alien with Terminator 2... like, yeah the latter is great, but how does it fit?

So Aliens?

Fuck Aliens, I hate its tone. But at least it made somewhat sense in that universe. While RE4 didn't connect to the rest of the series in the slighest. You went from somewhat normal guys in mystery mansions with small bio-weapons to sassy James Bond caricatures who fight LotR ogres and magical bugs and run away from giant robot statues. Also saying things like "I guess Umbrella died because of stocks" made absolutely no sense considering everything the rest of the series told.

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
It's like following up Alien with Terminator 2... like, yeah the latter is great, but how does it fit?

So Aliens?

Fuck Aliens, I hate its tone. But at least it made somewhat sense in that universe. While RE4 didn't connect to the rest of the series in the slighest. You went from somewhat normal guys in mystery mansions with small bio-weapons to sassy James Bond caricatures who fight LotR ogres and magical bugs and run away from giant robot statues. Also saying things like "I guess Umbrella died because of stocks" made absolutely no sense considering everything the rest of the series told.

CV and 0 kinda blow the whole "RE was super grounded before RE4!!!" theory out of the water.

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »

I'd take LotR ogres and kid Napoleon over this for sure.

Tasty

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 08:37:25 PM »
I think people have played RE4 so much, and rush through it so quickly on later playthroughs, that they kinda forget that RE4 had a fucking killer atmosphere. I've heard "RE4 isn't scary" too many times to count, but I remember my first time through it took me 30 hours because I'd constantly pour over every area after taking out all the enemies. The opening forest/village segment hit home for me because, well, my family lives pretty far back in the woods.

They kinda give up on the horror stuff by the time of the island/base or whatever (last area), but they also introduce the iron maidens around that time which keeps the tension going.

The game isn't necessarily scary (though that differs for everyone), but I would say it's "horrifying" with long sections of outright dread.

Fucking amazing game. Even watching the damn credits is enough to put me on edge.

An ageless masterpiece.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
anyone who claims chainsaw man wasn't scary as shit is a damn liar
pcp

kingv

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 09:17:01 PM »
I only like and play the action RE games.

6 is my favorite, lol. It does have a few truly bad levels (snow one, and first Jake level) but I love that it tries to do so much and I like the co-op aspect.

paprikastaude

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2018, 06:46:26 AM »

So Aliens?

CV and 0 kinda blow the whole "RE was super grounded before RE4!!!" theory out of the water.

To an extent, RE2 and RE3 as well.

I love the games but they were always schlock horror and you were always playing as soldiers, so it had an action movie vibe mixed in there still. The first game and it's remake are the only really pure horror games like that, RE7 is more of the RE2 and 3 mold of having bigger action sequences mixed in. REmake 2 definitely looks like a return to that more pure horror thing which is why I'm very excited for it.

I'd still argue RE4 had a horror vibe in spite of a lot of it's bombastic qualities. RE5 is where the scale for sure went up in action, and then RE6 was a Michael Bay movie.

Never said RE4 wasn't scary or prior games weren't schlock. But that doesn't mean they automatically fit, that would be like the weak Indiana Jones 4 defense of "yeah, but there was always magical things, so aliens make sense" - except that it's only similar on a superficial level. Apart from being a lootbased shooter in which you kill more enemies than in the entire prior series combined, the tone is completely different. Revelations 2 was easily the best in making a linear OTS game still feel like it belongs in the same universe through its characters, story, music, enemies and art direction. While 4's giant robots and Zelda-esque lava rooms with platforming and clearing all enemies to make stairs ascend from lava didn't feel like it was even the same franchise as before. Plus characters that act wholly different and a story that felt more like a crazy retcon than fresh start.

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
My point was less "RE4 fits in with prior games 100%" and more "the series has always been bonkers with little regard for canon or continuity, so who gives a darn if one of the games does something different." :)

Don't turn me into a Jill Sandwich over it tho.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
wow spoilers
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2018, 01:58:30 PM »
no music  :dayum

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
Still in development  :holeup
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
anyone who claims chainsaw man wasn't scary as shit is a damn liar

Yeah, I’m a grown ass man, but that sequence had me questioning my entertainment choices and underwear budget.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2018, 02:36:21 AM »
Nemesis though

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2018, 03:42:12 AM »
claire's face look like butt and not the kind I want to eat  :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »
Holy fuck that looks so good

How does it look so good

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 07:08:53 PM »
Seems like this could finally be the RE to dethrone RE4.

They described it as a 3D Metroidvania.
🤴