Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 49379 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: Resident Evil 2 Remake
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
I really hope we find out why they opted to give Mr X a hat

Himu

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
This game has a classic camera. Capcom went ALL OUT. BAH GAWD. :bow
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:49 PM »

He's an MRA now, follows you around and says "well actually, did you know that lobsters..." a lot

? This game has an RE4 over the shoulder camera, not a fixed camera. Which is far, FAR preferable unless you're some try hard lunatic that likes difficulty for no apparent... oh, just remembered who I'm talking to. Please don't play this game.
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
? This game has an RE4 over the shoulder camera, not a fixed camera. Which is far, FAR preferable unless you're some try hard lunatic that likes difficulty for no apparent... oh, just remembered who I'm talking to. Please don't play this game.

Supposedly there's an unlockable Classic formula mode. If you believe *autistic screeching* insiders. Remains to be seen, since the only unlockables we know of so far is 4th/Hunk and Tofu.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »

Supposedly there's an unlockable Classic formula mode. If you believe *autistic screeching* insiders. Remains to be seen, since the only unlockables we know of so far is 4th/Hunk and Tofu.

Jesus, gamers really are the worst.
yar

Himu

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

He's an MRA now, follows you around and says "well actually, did you know that lobsters..." a lot

Saw a pic from a copy of the game retrieved early showing classic cam called fixed camera.

I can't find the other pic, but I doubt it's fake. It showed Leon and the zombies from regular RE2 cam.

In any case, you didn't have to be mean.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
That doesn't give much. And Fixed Camera could mean anything, like no camera bob.

Himu

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:46 PM »
Like I said before, there's two pics. I can't find the other pic the person who posted the other pic deleted it in discord. But it is as I described: classic cam.

Whether it's fake or not, we will see. Can't wait for this though!
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »
Having completed and beating the demo, it felt like it had the scenario design, goofiness, charm, and pacing of RE2.  It has similar mobility and combat mechanics as RE4, but it feels......really different. The camera and your POV is pretty damn close to RE4. All the enemies in RE2 being a monster is completely different than the past 4 Resident Evil games, RE4 included.

RE4 is my favorite Resident Evil game, by a gigantic margin. I've beat the fucker probably five or six times by now. It is the only RE game where fighting humanoid enemies is fun and thrilling.

RE2 having the camera perspective of RE4, fighting monsters in the perspective, and the game having a lot more care put into it than Revelations, this is gonna be a banger.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2019, 01:37:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. IMO, RE4 is the best game ever made. RE2, which is my favorite traditional RE, combined with RE4, is a match made in heaven. :)
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2019, 05:59:44 AM »
Having completed and beating the demo, it felt like it had the scenario design, goofiness, charm, and pacing of RE2.  It has similar mobility and combat mechanics as RE4, but it feels......really different. The camera and your POV is pretty damn close to RE4. All the enemies in RE2 being a monster is completely different than the past 4 Resident Evil games, RE4 included.

Because tbf it's more like 7 in 3rd person than 4 (thankfully).

Himu

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »

Because tbf it's more like 7 in 3rd person than 4 (thankfully).

You mean like RE2, right?

I’m not sure why that’s so shocking. It’s a remake. The orignal game is a survival horror game to the max. The reason REmake is so revered is because it’s the best remake ever made. It takes the original and makes it better, basically. Why wouldn’t they make it survival horror like RE2 rather than horror action of RE4? They’d be massacred. This is partially also why they’ve managed to get the game out so quickly: they’re not being ambitious, they’re sticking to the games roots. Compare to FFVII remake, which they’re trying to make as ambitious as possible, as far away from its roots as possible, turning a menu based rpg battle system into an action rpg trying to get new fans rather than appeal to the orignal fans, wanting to put the entire kitchen sink into a goddamn REMAKE - the sort of project that should be forward thinking but not try to be revolutionary.

Basically, Capcom isn’t distinguished mentally-challenged like another company we know.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »
It's clearly going to be a very different game and in the vein of 7. Not only because of the bullet sponge enemies, but also in level design. You can go to the second floor straight from the beginning and between cutscenes it's way more gated than the og in the beginning. Hence I bet the new map is in no way going to be as complex as classic RE, but also not unfit linear bullshit like 4-6, i.e. it will be like 7. Plus the entire menu/hint work is stripped straight from 7, as well as the realistic tone with low key music.

I don't have a problem with two different games, though I wish this included the og like Metroid Zero Mission or had "remake" in its title so that the og doesn't fall into oblivion, as it will clearly stay worth playing.

Himu

« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
It absolutely is! Incredible game.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
Yeah, I finally tried the demo yesterday and it was weird because it didn't feel like RE2 (obviously) and it didn't feel like RE4 (no ammo drops, less action-y). I'd definitely agree it felt closer to 7 out of any of them?
Feels like it's going to be a weird and new experience. Could be a good thing, could be not? Idk, looking forward to it for sure.

I guess a big difference is that REmake still feels pretty much like RE1, so this is a different take for sure.

I do love my some survival horror games though, so pretty stoked. Having just replayed Silent Hill 2 a month ago reminded me how fun and exciting the genre is and how well the games in it still hold up. Definitely wouldn't mind replaying the old RE games (at least 0-3) sometime.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:28:23 PM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »
I havent touched the demo yet, staying pure :aah

Can't wait to cop this week
fat

Himu

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2019, 01:22:04 PM »
Same!
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
I haven't played 7 yet, I'd agree that the game doesn't feel exactly like classic RE2 or RE4 but something different. I'm pretty sure it's going to work over the course of the game, though.

One thing I like is bringing back stash boxes, making players make choices with limited inventory space. That feels more "horror" and less "action-y" for lack of better terms. Obviously in the course of the demo over just 30 minutes you don't really get the effect of it at all but I feel like it will play out well over the course of the game. I wonder if the stash inventory will be shared between Leon and Claire over the course of the game or not.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
I haven't played 7 yet, I'd agree that the game doesn't feel exactly like classic RE2 or RE4 but something different. I'm pretty sure it's going to work over the course of the game, though.

One thing I like is bringing back stash boxes, making players make choices with limited inventory space. That feels more "horror" and less "action-y" for lack of better terms. Obviously in the course of the demo over just 30 minutes you don't really get the effect of it at all but I feel like it will play out well over the course of the game. I wonder if the stash inventory will be shared between Leon and Claire over the course of the game or not.

Wait, why haven't you played 7? It's good!

Himu

« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
They brought back item boxes? Yes! I thought that would be a casualty. I don’t mind if there’s no ink ribbons. Though there should probably be an ink ribbon mode if you want it.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
hard mode uses ink ribbons
What

Himu

« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Nice!
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »

Wait, why haven't you played 7? It's good!

I haven't played it either.
:idont
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
Same. Hear great things tho.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2019, 05:16:14 PM »
Wat

How come y’all sleeping on the best RE since 4?

Himu

« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Because I’m old and don’t play everything anymore and it hasn’t been a priority despite my love for RE.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
maybe it should be
fat

Himu

« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
I will play it!
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
 :ufup 7 is legit RE.

Himu

« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
I've heard! Bebpo, please buy it for me. <3
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2019, 11:47:44 PM »

Are you on steam? I'll get you a copy next steam sale if it's cheap ;)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »
Wat

How come y’all sleeping on the best RE since 4?

What Cindi said plus the fact that 5 was kinda meh and 6 was outright bad. This is like an ex trying to win me back and get in my good graces, they gonna have to put in some work first, I ain't just gonna show up DTF.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
maybe you should be
fat

Himu

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »

Are you on steam? I'll get you a copy next steam sale if it's cheap ;)

Ps4 :(

Also I loved RE5 but RE6 really turned me off
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2019, 11:54:11 AM »
maybe you should be

You're the absolute last person's taste I take into account on videogames. You play everything, and you gleefully enjoy terrible shit. (Taste in fatties as sexual partners is legit, tho)
yar

Tasty

« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
First person games :donot

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »
fatties  :nope
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
You guys all need to become part of the family. The mansion's design in RE7 is great. My absolute favourite part of the game is the Baker family. The voice actors really elevate the game.

It also has an Adventures of Bayou Billy DLC.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »
maybe you should be

You're the absolute last person's taste I take into account on videogames. You play everything, and you gleefully enjoy terrible shit. (Taste in fatties as sexual partners is legit, tho)

I gave up on Octopath so IDK where this comes from sorry
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2019, 12:42:28 PM »
I disliked 5, never bothered with 6, was hesitant because FPS and the intro demo felt like they were going for a different vibe that’s more film horror than survival action.

Turns out the opening’s good but totally misleading. Once you get about 30-60 mins in it’s all locked doors and obscure symbol puzzles and blowing heads off zombies with shotguns and yeah it’s just good well-designed old school RE.

I’d put Remake, 2, 4, 7 all on equal classic level.

thisismyusername

« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
RE 7 was trash.

1-2-3 > 4 and 7 >>>>>>>> Outbreak: File #1 and 2 > Revelations 1 >> Revelations 2 (Barry saves it a bit) >>>>>>>>>> Code Veronica: X > 5 > Gun Survivor 1-2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suicide is preferable to > 6 >>>>> Operation Raccoon City >>>>> Umbrella Corps

Himu

« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2019, 05:01:07 PM »
4 is the greatest game ever made.

IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2019, 05:06:32 PM »
Oh, right. Forgot 0. I'd probably put it before Revelations 1 and after Outbreak's.

paprikastaude

« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
Even if RE4 didn't fuck over the series and didn't open the way for a decade of trash RE, it still would have a few too many redundant/lame rooms to beat other Mikami games like REmake and GodHand.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:39:09 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
REmake is too scary!!! :brazilcry
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2019, 05:36:24 PM »
I'm not so down on 5. It's clearly nowhere near as good as 4, on pretty much every level. It's not as personable or charming. The gameplay, structure, level design, and mechanics are sometimes half baked and uninteresting. The co-op is pretty mediocre all things considered and tedious when played solo.

But.

It's still kind of fun. Despite over the shoulder becoming the norm, no one has really matched RE4's use of it. How it feels tense and really hammers in you to be careful and thoughtful with your shooting. It's why to this day it's still really playable. When people complain about not being able to move and shoot they show that they don't get it.

Still, RE5 is one of the few games to kind of understand that tension that comes from over the shoulder and so I can still play it despite is lesser quality. And co-op is pretty fun. It's a solid game.

Himu

« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »
RE5 was the first game I 1000'd and I didn't have a co-op partner to do it :rejoice
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »
5 isn't bad per se but it's not on the level of 4

:yeshrug

People with poor opinions of 4 have poor opinions in general and should be laughed at
yar

Himu

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
few games hold up to 4 so I don't hold it against 5. I think RE4 is my most replayed or bought game ever. I have bought it on GC, Wii, and ps3 and I've beaten it at least 6 times on each system. It's getting close to another run since I'm in the RE mood. I should go through the entire series tbh.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2019, 07:30:45 PM »
Defending RE5 is like defending a bollywood ripoff of Terminator 2. Though RE4 was the beginning of the end. The original demo they released for GCN when it was still a horror game looked so amazing. Then REmake flopped and they changed everything for the babies who were too stupid for exploration and combining things. At least 4 was good for what it was, even if it was nothing RE, but 5 wasn't even good in what it tried. Thankfully 7 finally killed all that shit for good. :rejoice

:rejoice First time feeling relieved hearing the save room music in over a decade
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:43:59 PM by Spieler1 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
I agree that RE5 is not on the level of RE4 (not much is!), but it was still a blast to play and I probably replayed it more times than I did RE4.  It was a really fun action game that I liked playing solo, co-op, and even enjoyed the online versus stuff in.  I thought it was an excellent game in its own right.  Really the only RE games that disappointed me were half of RE6 (Chris and Jake's stories) and Revelations 2, which just felt so jank and low-budget crap that I never did play beyond like two chapters.

Still disappointed that Capcom has yet to follow-up on what happened after Revelations, since two of the bad guys got away in the end. 
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
I agree that RE5 is not on the level of RE4 (not much is!), but it was still a blast to play and I probably replayed it more times than I did RE4.
:what
I've never heard you talk about it ..... Not like you do RE4.

5 was the last one I played since 7.  I thought 5 was ok.  The rushing hoards were tense.  But didn't get me excited enough to try 6.. by word of mouth, seems I didn't miss out on much. 

As much as 7 makes me feel like playing RE all over again for the first time, I wonder if I'd feel the same not playing in VR.  :doge
Tell you what though... This is the 3rd game I've ever played where I'm probably gonna have to get the paid DLC, I'm enjoying it so much.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:16:13 PM by Svejk »

thisismyusername

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
Revelations 2 is saved by Barry, tbh.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Claire's non-profit is betrayed to female Wesker for reasons.
[close]

That's about it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2019, 08:50:57 PM »
I agree that RE5 is not on the level of RE4 (not much is!), but it was still a blast to play and I probably replayed it more times than I did RE4.
:what
I've never heard you talk about it ..... Not like you do RE4.

That's because I played the shit out of it before you got on all these boards.
:bolo

I also played the shit out of the 3DS Mercenaries game.  Loved that shit.  Wish it had been ported to something else.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »
All this RE talk has me wanting to play some MERCERNARIES.  Might be time to fire RE5 up.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2019, 09:32:42 PM »
All this RE talk has me wanting to play some MERCERNARIES.  Might be time to fire RE5 up.

Honestly, as much as I hate 6 the one good thing I can say about it is the Mercenaries is solid.

paprikastaude

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:29 PM »
raid > mercenaries

kingv

« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:51 PM »
I think 6 would be overall solid if the campaign was tightened up. Imo, all of Leon’s campaign is actually good.... and maybe half of the rest.

I just really like these games in coop. :-/

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:32 PM »
I think 6 would be overall solid if the campaign was tightened up. Imo, all of Leon’s campaign is actually good.... and maybe half of the rest.

I just really like these games in coop. :-/

Yeah.  Leon/Helena was good, plus Ada.  Chris/Piece is...eh.  OK at best, if that.  And Jake/Sherry was crap.
ど助平