Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 49423 times)

BikeJesus

Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
I didn't use infinite knife because I don't have it yet. I did kinda exploit the game by reloading auto saves from the main menu to not add time to the clock when dying. Pretty sure I saved after the first Boss, before the second, and before the last two bosses.

To conserve ammo I just use one or two bullets to the head/knee to stun them and run by. Even if you have to stun the same zombie later on, you still save ammo. Plus it makes it more exciting when Tyrant is on your ass and you have to deal with zombies and lickers.

My S+ run gave me an infinite pistol, though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:23:53 PM by BikeJesus »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »
S+ doesn't allow you to use said infinite pistol. Only infinite knife is allowed
fat

BikeJesus

« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »
Yeah, kinda seems like a pointless unlock.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
Yeah, kinda seems like a pointless unlock.
Having fun and dicking around aren't pointless tho.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2019, 06:32:14 PM »
Well I’ve played through both characters on XB1 and PS4. Just waiting till the Pc version is under $40 before I grab that. I love this game.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #425 on: March 07, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »
Infinite pistol makes no healing item runs easier. Wish you could get it for no item box runs but uh, that doesn't work.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #426 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
Those runs sound miserable but I guess you can save and reload if you die/need to heal. No item box is ok I guess if you're not healing and not taking any herbs or anything and just weapons and ammo and key event items?

paprikastaude

« Reply #427 on: March 07, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
The music is good when it's there, but sadly it isn't until like 3 hours in. I also don't want to change to the old OST, since then you'd miss out on the new tyrant end theme, which is much better, for example.

Bebpo

« Reply #428 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27:12 PM »
The new music sucks
I did A with new music
B with old music
All runs after with old music

Everyone talks about the new tyrant music being so good but barely noticed it. Barely noticed any music on the new ost.

paprikastaude

« Reply #429 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
:gurl

BikeJesus

« Reply #430 on: March 07, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »
Well I’ve played through both characters on XB1 and PS4. Just waiting till the Pc version is under $40 before I grab that. I love this game.

$40.69 Canadian Dollars on cdkeys. Thats where I bought it before launch.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/resident-evil-2-biohazard-re2-pc-cd-key

Also, here is my cheatsheet if anyone wants to use it for Claire A.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

I didn't bother with the Lab item locations since it is pretty easy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:53:14 PM by BikeJesus »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #431 on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »
Those runs sound miserable but I guess you can save and reload if you die/need to heal. No item box is ok I guess if you're not healing and not taking any herbs or anything and just weapons and ammo and key event items?

You can do them on assisted, it's piss easy. Also on assisted you heal back up to caution from danger if there's no enemies around, so no healing items isn't hard
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #432 on: March 07, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »

$40.69 Canadian Dollars on cdkeys. Thats where I bought it before launch.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/resident-evil-2-biohazard-re2-pc-cd-key

Also, here is my cheatsheet if anyone wants to use it for Claire A.

[close]

I didn't bother with the Lab item locations since it is pretty easy.
Its coming up $30 now.

Man I’m not going to play any other games. Just RE2.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

BikeJesus

« Reply #434 on: March 08, 2019, 04:21:56 AM »
Oh and I've been playing the game with a fix for the 30fps animations at a distance. You have to hex edit the exe.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_2_(2019)#The_game_updates_zombies_at_a_distance_less_frequently

I turned off the RE2 Net thing just in case they think I'm a cheater. Strangely though, after doing the fix, I kept getting eaten in Leon B. Not sure if the zombies are now more capable or just placebo.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #435 on: March 08, 2019, 06:17:20 AM »
Started Leon B yesterday night (got to the sewers, but didn't want to pull another nighter).
This feels weirdly designed tbh, some story beats i had hoped to see developed from the other side are glazed over or skipped, and there's a bizarre design decision to give Leon a .45 gun (that he holds like a moron) despite half the safes in the game rewarding you with expansions for the vp70, which you find 0 ammo for (9mm). The fuck were they thinking? Even though i ain't enjoying it as much, the new Ada looks great, and so did Kendo.

I think, instead of sticking with the A-B scenario formula, they should've just created two distinct campaigns, one for Leon and one for Claire, and put everything in those.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #436 on: March 08, 2019, 07:02:16 AM »
The 45 held sideways is a callback to the original RE2 bonus where one of Leon's unlockable costumes held his gun sideways
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #437 on: March 08, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »
The 45 held sideways is a callback to the original RE2 bonus where one of Leon's unlockable costumes held his gun sideways
Oh i know, i played (OG) RE2 plenty of times, but to have it as the standard...  :larry
Besides, it's one thing to hold your gun sideways, with a biker costume, it's another to do it with your over-prepared cop uniform.

I assume Claire gets the cowboy gun in her B, then.

paprikastaude

« Reply #438 on: March 08, 2019, 09:38:47 AM »
I liked to play with the different item layout in B. They really just should have made something different than Birkin for Leon.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #439 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
I liked to play with the different item layout in B. They really just should have made something different than Birkin for Leon.
I think ideally, or at least if this wasn't a remake (so people were probably expecting many things to be 1:1) they should've had two single, separate campaigns, about 10 hours each (like my first run through of A scenario) with unique puzzles for each character, unique bosses (Leon could've focused on the Tyrant, given his Ada connection, and Claire on Birkin, given her Sherry connection) and while sharing the same locations, a larger percentage of them would've been unique as well (this already happens, but just for a handful of rooms).
And then have the two characters interact more, because they meet twice in the whole game as it is, plus i liked the idea of not taking an item with Claire, and having it with Leon, or vice-versa, that you had in the original.

It's not like they didn't try to do multiple separate campaigns in the past anyway, they just so happen to be on the worst fucking mainline entry.  :fbm

thisismyusername

« Reply #440 on: March 08, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »
It's not even 1:1, they removed the maintenance sections of the lab.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #441 on: March 08, 2019, 10:34:58 AM »
It's not even 1:1, they removed the maintenance sections of the lab.
Was that the part in B scenario, where Mr.T punched the camera?

thisismyusername

« Reply #442 on: March 08, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »
It's the part where you have to power-up the lab. Sherry is also down there (IIRC) in Claire B so you have to go rescue her in both scenarios.

The game is sorely rushed in some regards, but is still good enough. I just wish the DLC plans had them bringing the missing sections back, like the turntable for the train. You fight that section in Claire's last bit, but you don't even see the Bio0 connected area anymore.

Bebpo

« Reply #443 on: March 08, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
I do wish they had given it a bit more time/budget to do the maintenance labs only because in A/B scenarios you got a somewhat different experience in RPD, somewhat different experience in Sewers, and then an identical experience in the labs. Would've been nice to have slightly different versions of the labs (and no, moving the code trophy spot doesn't count lol).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #444 on: March 09, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
Finished Leon B.

Yeah i'll reiterate the sense that it felt rushed through, not as well paced and balanced as scenario A (Claire's at least, didn't do Leon A yet).
A bunch things, before i move on:
Fuck those G-Adults in general, blocking with their creative hitboxes and magical grab, any hallway they sit in, but especially fuck that part with 3 of 'em, in Leon B it took me like 5 or 6 tries.
Fuck the Super Sayan Tyrant's 1hit KO attack, relatively easy boss that took me like 8 tries, just because of that attack (i managed to use a grenade to interrupt it, but i only had one) that seems completely random to dodge.
Fuck that alliga-- ok, he wasn't too bad, but the original felt more interesting, i would've rather had something asking you to use your brain, rather than a scripted action scene.
The new music was really shitty, the much praised "Tyrant fight theme" is just your chorus piece, you put a chorus on something, people immediately soil their pants.

I like the part with Ada, and the story between her and Leon was better told in this remake, the romance was still rushed through, but made more sense than in the original, though you could apply this to most story beats.

So final thoughts are that i really loved the game, scenario A felt like a strong 9/10 (aside from the abrupt ending), scenario B more like a weak 8, but the overall package was satisfying and there's still some extra stuff you can do, between extra stories, rankings etc.
Graphics and story were the biggest fixes, but the gameplay felt incredibly fluid as well.
This game retains the geriatric movement speed of the original, which can go from intriguing planning(deciding to expend an healing items or bullets), to frustrating (sometimes being in a tight hallway with 3 enemies, all of which just have grab moves as attacks, feels like you're just out of options for the wrong reasons, or when you're running from an enemy that is just faster than you), but pushes it in at least more interesting ways, with localized damage, stun objects, and similar options, to deepen it further.
Gameplay in the old RE for me was always some shitty thing you had to deal with to get to the good bits (atmosphere and environments mostly) but here, it can often get genuinely fun, with just some frustrating bits here and there.

Mr.T went from annoying at the very start, to an interesting hurdle to deal with, as soon as i realized he had some limitations that could be exploited.

I am genuinely worried with how they'll treat Nemesis in R3make, since they'll probably feel the need to up the ante, they'll have him crash through every wall, infect you, resurrect zombies, and give him a Scorpion-style harpoon.
But yeah, this is the direction to go in the future great effort, and it's kind of a miracle that this game exist in the first place.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
So for the raccoon hunt, can i just pop in a save, destroy one and get out, or do i have to finish that run for it to count?

thisismyusername

« Reply #446 on: March 10, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
So for the raccoon hunt, can i just pop in a save, destroy one and get out, or do i have to finish that run for it to count?

it auto-saves, IIRC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2019, 05:42:42 PM »
Finally got around to playing this.

This shit is damn good  :mynicca
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #449 on: March 11, 2019, 06:08:33 PM »
Now there's a mod that just removes Mr. X completely from the game.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-mod-completely-removes-mr-x-from-resident-evil-2-remake/?fbclid=IwAR0ebqNebM_vwBWT6Hmb0F-8buHs_K0CwtoUr4PblHkLbOdHcO8D4U3W91E

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/87

Would probably make things kind of dull.

Because RE1/RE4 and all the RE games where you are constantly chased are dull.
Also because the Sewers/Lab section of RE2 are dull....

It's a fine mechanic, I could live without it and would absolutely not enjoy an RE3 remake where a Mr. X type Nemesis followed you constantly the entire game while you're trying to solve puzzles and fight zombies, but whatever, more options for people.

My favorite section in RE2 Remake is the Lab because everything I love about RE, going at my own pace and solving puzzles and fighting different enemy types that require different strategies.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2019, 07:17:37 PM »
I think Mr.X adds to the game to be honest, by the times he comes out, you have explored most of the station, and need something to twist it on its head a bit.
I'd much rather have a mod that removes those fucking G-Adults from the game.

Thing is, Mr X is fought in a setting where you can usually plan ahead, and have multiple ways to go around and avoid him, so it is mostly fair (except the teleporting bullshit, and a couple of areas, like the third floor).
G-Adults spawn in the middle of a tight corridor and you're basically forced to either kill them or take a hit and hope they don't double grab you.
I watched a no damage run to see how the pros did it, an even the guy got grabbed and used grenades/knives to go past; but the sewers aren't nearly as circular as the Police station from what i've played, and there's no way to avoid them, or kite them away from your objective.

EDIT: I agree with you though, that a R3make with a Nemesis that follows you constantly would be shit.
That mechanic is fun in small doses.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
Now there's a mod that just removes Mr. X completely from the game.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-mod-completely-removes-mr-x-from-resident-evil-2-remake/?fbclid=IwAR0ebqNebM_vwBWT6Hmb0F-8buHs_K0CwtoUr4PblHkLbOdHcO8D4U3W91E

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/87

Would probably make things kind of dull.

Because RE1/RE4 and all the RE games where you are constantly chased are dull.
Also because the Sewers/Lab section of RE2 are dull....

It's a fine mechanic, I could live without it and would absolutely not enjoy an RE3 remake where a Mr. X type Nemesis followed you constantly the entire game while you're trying to solve puzzles and fight zombies, but whatever, more options for people.

My favorite section in RE2 Remake is the Lab because everything I love about RE, going at my own pace and solving puzzles and fighting different enemy types that require different strategies.

Mr. X being there isn't the problem-  Mr. X being so relentless and for so long is.  He was scripted in RE2 and is not in the remake.  If there was a mod that changed things up to be more like that, it would better than just removing him outright.

You're forgetting about enemies like the the chainsaw guys in RE4.  Same deal- they're scripted and when they popped up in action sequences, it made for a lot of tension...in a good way.  And didn't the RE1 remake have a crimson head zombie who could keep chasing you in one game mode?
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:43 PM »
Mr X is fine. The only time he's a problem is if you don't kill shit and have to dodge zombos and lickers in addition to him. By the time he shows up in the A scenario you should be able to get away from him pretty easily if you just take a minute or two and figure out his patterns and the rules he operates under.

The B scenario is dicier because you can go to the STARS office almost right away and what triggers him is apparently picking up the battery off Wesker's desk (haven't tested it so don't know for sure). So if all you've done so far is clear out a couple rooms in the east wing of the station and then you've got Mr X chasing your ass, it's gonna suck.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »
I agree with Don Rumata that Mr. X mechanic is fun in small doses, just like Chainsaw guy in small doses. Etc...especially on replays where you know where these small doses are and how to strategize around them.

Mr X is fine. The only time he's a problem is if you don't kill shit and have to dodge zombos and lickers in addition to him. By the time he shows up in the A scenario you should be able to get away from him pretty easily if you just take a minute or two and figure out his patterns and the rules he operates under.

The B scenario is dicier because you can go to the STARS office almost right away and what triggers him is apparently picking up the battery off Wesker's desk (haven't tested it so don't know for sure). So if all you've done so far is clear out a couple rooms in the east wing of the station and then you've got Mr X chasing your ass, it's gonna suck.

Yeah, that's what happened to me in my first attempt at B scenario and why I got really frustrated. Once you learn it's the stars room that triggers him and you save that for last it's no big deal.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2019, 08:54:11 PM »
Yeah me too, got to the STARS room right away, and was like "welp, that was quick".
From then on it was a bit of a Benny Hill skit, in the RPD building.

thisismyusername

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2019, 11:44:46 PM »
I also agree that the chasing is fun... in small doses. If they do Nemesis surely they'd have some sections where you can just take him out and take a fucking break from him, like in the OG or just not have it chase you in certain areas.

Mr X was fine because he only shows up after you already know where pretty much everything is.

I also agree the latter half could have been fun if there were more differences in the lab/more of the lab in general, but oh well! The game was so damn good I was willing to give it a pass on that.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #457 on: March 12, 2019, 02:09:27 AM »
Fuck I did'nt know Mr X could make a hole from the press room to the hall way where the Observation room is. Gave me a heartattack.

BikeJesus

« Reply #458 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:03 AM »
Finished up Leon B. I went out of my way to clean up a couple achievements and it cost me some time. Going to to start Hardcore play-throughs.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #459 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
Tried the extra modes.
These things are not for me, tbh, i never enjoyed the mercenary mode, because i never found the RE gameplay all that fun in short bursts, but more in the long run management, and so this isn't different.

I was hoping to get some story details from the extra stories, but it's basically Bayonetta-style stills, and show little to nothing, and then the classic gauntlet of A to B.
It's not bad or anything, it just doesn't offer anything that i was looking for.  :yeshrug

paprikastaude

« Reply #460 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
I already bailed out of Hunk, the game clearly wasn't made for action :idont

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #461 on: March 17, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
I already bailed out of Hunk, the game clearly wasn't made for action :idont
Kind of the same vibe, yeah.

I finished the Mayor's daughter and the other Umbrella guy's runs, i died near the end of Kendo's and died in the Police Station with Hunk.

I only tried each once (twice with Hunk) but i didn't really feel a desire to go back, because the story pay off is zero, and it just illustrate my frustration with the game's combat mechanics (mostly: every attack is just a grab movie animation).

I know there's people out there doing these runs perfectly, so i'm not even trying to diss the depth of the gameplay, but i just don't think it's that fun, as i said, in short bursts. It pays off in the long run, with a slower pace and the risk/reward of deciding which path to take in the map.
Having to just go through a tight corridor filled with grabby enemies isn't that fun.
Besides, shooting the legs seems by far the best option in just about any situation (that, and tossing a grenade in particularly filled up rooms).

I do enjoy the Pale Heads though, a cool idea that should've been in the main game, maybe instead of those shitty Ivys.
Poison zombies instead should've remained a discarded .psd file in some concept artist's portfolio.

Another things is... is just the two areas (police station and sewers), and already in the main game i was feeling a bit of lack in variety, having to do them even more times with extra characters just isn't that compelling.
Free content tho, so whatever.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #462 on: March 25, 2019, 08:12:46 PM »
Almost done with the police station. Mr. X is no joke and those lickers  :whew
Pacing is damn near perfect though. The game has a lot of these moments where just as you've ran completely out of ammo you're given a few new rooms with loot.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »
RE is one of those series that stays challenging even late game.

Most games get easier as you learn the ropes and get the equipment. In Metroid you always feel like the space warrior blasting everything by the time you reach the end.
In RE2 though, a single zombie can still kill your low-on-ammo ass. Wrapping up the sewers now and the equipment has gotten better though.  :gun
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
Woah, the Lab. This is good shit.

Also, screw RE3. I want RE4 is in this engine  :mouf

Also Ada Wong in this game  :delicious
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
Leon's run completed. Now playing with Claire. Dat 6 shooter.

Also the best part about Resident Evil 2 is that it is about 2.5 Resident Evil games in 1.  :rejoice

This is easily the best RE since RE4.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2019, 10:42:21 PM »
This game is so good. 

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #467 on: November 29, 2019, 11:02:43 PM »
I still need to buy this.  :'(

Svejk

« Reply #468 on: November 29, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »
It's only like $20 right now on PSN.  Really tempted to snag it too.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #469 on: November 29, 2019, 11:15:37 PM »
try to watch a playthrough, couldn't get into it  :doge

Rman

« Reply #470 on: January 02, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »
Picked this up on sale.  What a great game.  Can't really watch this game, filler.  Not that type of game.

thisismyusername

« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
Oh hey, 4chun talking about this and you know what:

I don't know how they thought it was okay to not have proper A and B scenarios. That was the most important element of the original games.
It makes me worry that R3make isn't going to have those action choices with Nemesis.
[close]

>>491366190 (OP)
RE2 is a blatantly rushed game. The difference between the first remake and the second is that the first accomplishes everything it sets out to do, fully redoing the original and adding extra on top whereas 2 remake is one full of compromises and cut content that the original had.

Ignoring the botched scenario system we have the following.

-Cut 2nd run character streets before station (Roundtable actually showed gameplay of streets near that side-gate, it got cut)
-G-adult as a compromise for removal of various enemy types
-Chemical plant+Marshalling Yard cut
-Every boss re-used for both characters aside from one
-Ivy's replaced with boring plant zombies not out of creative reasons but to avoid needing to animate an enemy from hand and just use mocap instead
-Everything to do with Annette being a bipolar cunt and her deaths makes the game feel blatantly unfinished

I really like remake 2 but I'm still disappointed in it. I wish some of these fegs [hi, wordfilter!] claiming this remake to be a masterpiece would hold it up to the standards as a game made over 20 years ago by a team half the new team's size with a smaller budget made in 2 years.

>>491386586
Cut content:

>Crows
>Cockroaches
>Spiders
>Evolved Lickers
>Moth Boss
>Zombie Brad Vickers
>Ivies turned into humanoid green zombies
>Super Tyrant nu-Mr X isn't even fully transformed during the final boss battle
>cut zapping system
>cut extreme battle mode
>cut arrange mode
>cut most of the initial city section before RPD
>cut explosive grenades type
>cut Bowgun
>Biker Leon
>Baseball cap Leon
>CowGirl Claire
>Standard difficulty autosaves and lets you save anywhere
>No new enemy types.
>Plant monsters are just another crappy zombie reskin will probably have an easy gimmick
>Claire looks like amerimutt goblina.
>Leon doesnt look much better than chief Brian Irons.
>Over use of swearing that just makes a lot of the dialog fluffy and cheap
>Walking feels floaty
>Guns dont feel satisfying to shoot
>Good chunk of the city portion has been watered down and made shorter
>RE4 difficulty mechanic instead of hard/normal
>Killed atmosphere. Turned into a generic spooky flashlight corridor walker. Not every fucking room in RE2 was a dark hallway you needed a flash light for
>Some good puzzles cut for shitty dial puzzles
>Lack of music
>no fixed camera

I don't agree with the later half (Claires looks and use of swearing) but I do agree with the cut content and shit being really jarring and obviously the remake rushed.

Like, the remake is ok but it's not good to great and it really has me worried for 3 despite that one being my favorite in the series because I just know it's going to cut most of the scenario down when:

>>491388650
>Tsuyoshi Kanda: One thing that sticks in my mind, really, is that… when I think back to my memories of Resident Evil 2, the plant monster that appears was really memorable for me. So there I was, I was thinking ‘oh, how are we going to handle this one…’ but then one day I looked at the planning documents of how we were rethinking the story and it was no longer in it.

>I was kind of like… “what’s happening here?!” [laughs] I talked to the team and they said well, it’s really hard to make a plant monster in a more realistic atmosphere. We just thought we’d skip it. I told them I needed us to make it work, and that led to a back-and-forth on how to do it for about a year – them saying it couldn’t be done and me as producer saying I wanted it in there. As for how it turned out in the end… we’ll leave it for you to see later! But that’s one of the things I really remember butting heads with the team on for quite a while.

>Hirabayashi: To make that convincing in any way was really tough. For a while, we were just thinking, ‘shall we just cut the alligator altogether? It’s too difficult’. But we knew there’d be a fan backlash, we knew we had to create one of these perfect fan-favourite moments, so… it’s a tough one, but it’s there.

Them attempting to just skip anything slightly difficult or "unrealistic" is peak soulless.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #472 on: January 05, 2020, 12:27:18 PM »
That's cool. You still have the original to play. Remake was great.
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #473 on: January 05, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
It doesn't matter, because it's practically a new mainline game altogether. It sucks that they'll probably remove the og RE2 from the canon going forward, but theoretically it doesn't replace the original game like the first REmake did. It's two completely different games that you can both replay for different experiences. That was clear the moment it was revealed to have the OTS view. The gameplay is totally different than not only RE2, but the entire series before it. Level design also only vaguely resembles the PS1 game at best. As a new game it certainly isn't rushed, considering the high quality bugfree presentation plus fresh game design for the entire series.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #474 on: January 05, 2020, 08:27:41 PM »
Yup, seems more like creative decisions and less about rushing the game.
They might have cut some content because of time constraints or because it simply didn't work in terms of gameplay with the new perspective but that happens with every game.

I'd rather have a game with damn near perfect pacing like RE2:R instead of more content that feels out of place or breaks the flow of the game.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #475 on: January 07, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »
The mistake wasn't exclusing A and B scenario, the mistake was putting them back in.
They made little sense in the original game already (they didn't intertwine all that much, and even in the original, Leon and Claire barely interacted) and they feel especially forced in this remake.

At the end of the day, it's just crucial to create something that works on its own, and ignore nerds worried about one cut room or cutscene.
So if they cut choices from 3 (i think they will) so be it, does the game work on its own legs, or not?

Not to say that RE2remake is perfect, it's clearly front loaded, scenario B is mostly boring to go through, and the whole sewer section is clearly subpar, but if you start to listen to "source material" nerds, you'll never hear the end of it for every pencil you move out of place, and you'll end up with a horrid Frenkenstein monster of a product.

Also, dark spooky corridor Police Station > Brightly Lit police station.

I would've taken 1 single campaign (or 1 for character at best) where Claire and Leon's actions perfectly complemented each other's , over this 4 campaigns alternate reality thing, where i have to play the same thing 4 times.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »
The 2nd scenarios were great in the first game as they gave the game sooo much more longevity. It basically gave you the option to play a remixed mode with some different item placement, a few new rooms and the inclusion of Mr. X, Birkin Stage 1, and iirc Irons was only in the 2nd scenario? IDK it was really important back then as I was 12 years and could only afford a game every couple of months so they had to be replayable!

Anyhoooo I just scooped RE2 remake as its 67% off on Xbone this week. Got the deluxe edition cos it was a couple extra bucks and the inclusion of the classic soundtrack seemed totally worth it! Also includes the 'Samurai Edge' gun which is an awesome reference to my favourite memo from RE3. The game is fucking awesome so far, the presentation and sound design is AAAA+. The VA is awesome too.

There was one scene where Leon was talking to Claire through a fence and his character model/look and mannerisms gave me serious Jared vibes lol

Svejk

« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
Is it bad that the whole corona virus thing is making me want to pick this up on this sale too?  :doge

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:14 PM »
Just buy it! :D

This was the scene I was talking about before where Leon reminded me of Jared from Silicon Valley

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:32:12 PM by The Sceneman »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #479 on: February 14, 2020, 03:23:12 AM »
I can't stop thinking about the memo from RE3 when the concept of "Samurai Edge" is introduced.

To the boys of S.T.A.R.S., I have some good news for you from my brother
Joe. He has finished the new handgun for official use. It is the Ma2F
S.T.A.R.S. Special, but he calls it the "Samurai Edge". Joe said, if you
miss the targets with this, you should carry a teething
ring instead of a gun in you holster. The goods will be delivered along
with their proper documentation. I'm sure you'll be surprised when you
see what kind of excellent parts are used for the Ma2F. I know that
you'll want to thank the good people who developed it.
Sincerely,
Robert Kendo
Kendo Gun Shop