Author Topic: The Bore does what NeoGAF doesn't.  (Read 3262873 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: The Bore does what NeoGAF doesn't.
« Reply #540 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »
MGS1 is one of those 80s action movie sequels where you never bothered to watch the previous movie(s) first but it doesn't matter that you didn't and I wouldn't have it any other way.

bluemax

« Reply #541 on: August 25, 2015, 06:55:01 PM »
Wait, there's actually still black people in the black community thread?

Sure and there are women in the girl-gaf thread as well.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never been to either thread unless linked by you guys.
[close]

I read the MGSV thread yall posted in the gaming part.
Honestly that's enough for me. Kojima story fuckery is too much for me to take seriously.

That's always been a huge problem with some MGS fans. They take MGS storytelling and lore really seriously, like, the stories in MGS games are really profound and groundbreaking. There is a definitive line between something being entertaining, compared to media/art containing something of great value.

The value of MGS storytelling is the entertainment factor alone. MGS games usually have neat themes when it comes to storytelling, mixed in with awkward and long winded dialog, and bizarre as fuck characters and characterizations. I love the melodrama and storytelling in the first three MGS games and Metal Gear Rising, but I'm never going to say those games in their entirety are profound. The have profound elements, but they aren't close to being masterpieces when it comes to storytelling.

People who take the lore of any AAA franchise that has gone beyond like 2 games seriously have issues. Halo, Metal Gear, whatever. Although Metal Gear is worse because they're trying to make something that was written 30 years ago with no intention of lasting this long have narrative cohesion.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #542 on: August 25, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »
Taking Halo lore seriously is something I don't understand.The universe is pretty uninteresting beyond these giant rings that ancient aliens made to kill everything because they were sore losers. I don't even think the series has an actual fun character.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #543 on: August 25, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »
People who take the lore of any AAA franchise that has gone beyond like 2 games seriously have issues. Halo, Metal Gear, whatever. Although Metal Gear is worse because they're trying to make something that was written 30 years ago with no intention of lasting this long have narrative cohesion.

Halo is way worse when it comes to lore being spread out breh.

http://www.halopedia.org/halo_novels

That's 20 books based on Halo. There was an Animatrix thingy, a live action movie thingy.

OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #544 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
I got kicked out of the Neogaf Facebook group because I said the MGSV story sounds like crap.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #545 on: August 25, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
I got kicked out of the Neogaf Facebook group because I said the MGSV story sounds like crap.

They did you a favor. Maybe now you'll stop giving a shit about GAF.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Who the fuck am I kidding? You'll still be WiiUInRainOutsideWindow.gif toward GAF. :pepe
[close]

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #546 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
trump's the new palin.
duc

bluemax

« Reply #547 on: August 25, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176541179&postcount=209

I bet this guy is an MRA.

Halo is way worse when it comes to lore being spread out breh.

http://www.halopedia.org/halo_novels

That's 20 books based on Halo. There was an Animatrix thingy, a live action movie thingy.

But at least that shit was all written relatively recently. They aren't still trying to reconcile the story of a ridiculously campy 30 year old MSX game are they? I mean if they're somehow trying to tie Halo in with the old Marathon games and have it all make sense then yeah, that's fucking bad.
NO

mormapope

« Reply #548 on: August 25, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »
20 Halo books is around 18 too much.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #549 on: August 25, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
Any Halo book is one too much.

That whole thing is  :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz a roony. Same with Gears.

Jansen

« Reply #550 on: August 25, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176554021&postcount=295

Sandy Hook truthers are vile vile subhuman trash.

Are people who still consider Pluto a planet vile (no comma) vile subhuman trash?

:derp

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #551 on: August 25, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »
(no comma)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #552 on: August 25, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »

That whole thing is  :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz a roony. Same with Gears.

Naw, there are at least two good ones. The Eric Nylund books are very enjoyable.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Yulwei

« Reply #554 on: August 26, 2015, 12:57:38 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176554021&postcount=295

Sandy Hook truthers are vile vile subhuman trash.

Are people who still consider Pluto a planet vile (no comma) vile subhuman trash?

:derp

he really didn't think that one through  :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #555 on: August 26, 2015, 01:05:02 AM »

Naw, there are at least two good ones. The Eric Nylund books are very enjoyable.

You mean the Fall of Reach?

To be honest: I can't give a damn about the Halo "Lore" just an utterly boring series. At least Halo 2 attempted to make it interesting by having the "Arbiter"/alien side of the story. But even then I couldn't care about the universe because it was just so :zzz -inducing.

I don't think it's a Bungie problem since it grabbed everyone else in the world. I just couldn't... care.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #556 on: August 26, 2015, 01:09:29 AM »

You mean the Fall of Reach?

To be honest: I can't give a damn about the Halo "Lore" just an utterly boring series. At least Halo 2 attempted to make it interesting by having the "Arbiter"/alien side of the story. But even then I couldn't care about the universe because it was just so :zzz -inducing.

I don't think it's a Bungie problem since it grabbed everyone else in the world. I just couldn't... care.

Yeah, I really enjoyed The Fall of Reach, as well as First Strike. I've only ever seen negative stuff about W. C. Dietz' stuff, so I avoided it. While looking up that 2nd novel's name, I see Greg Bear and Peter David both wrote some Halo stuff as well; I may eventually pick those up.

Edit: oops, nested quote fail
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:31:51 PM by chronovore »

Kara

« Reply #557 on: August 26, 2015, 01:21:12 AM »
Humanity losing a war of existence to a coalition of aliens united by a common religion that's false and this is known to the leadership caste is an interesting enough sci-fi premise. It's just that Bungie sort of forgot what made the Battle of Thermopylae interesting 3/4 of the way through Combat Evolved and went off the deep end. I didn't think it was a coincidence that I enjoyed the campaigns of ODST and Reach far more than I enjoyed the campaigns of the 3 mainline games I played.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #558 on: August 26, 2015, 02:49:38 AM »
My problem with the Halo verse is the same as the Mass effect universe. Ancient Alien stuff is really uninteresting to me and in the end kind of just makes me yawn when these sci-fi series begin to dwell on the mystery of what came before. A mystery that usually tends to be proto human bs. I would have been far more interested in ME's story had it not decided to put in the Reapers. Just telling a tale about man kinds adventures in space and the ramifications of that is far more interesting to me. These sci-fi universes never actually seem to want to handle the society aspects of their world, instead they want to go on the deep end of some epic cosmic stuff. Where I just want stories about whats happening in the universe between groups.

Though in the end I don't even think you could tell a tale in the Halo universe outside of the Spartan/Military stuff. Is there anything else going in there?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #559 on: August 26, 2015, 03:06:38 AM »
I don't mind Halo lore. It is enjoyable enough to digest.

My problem with the Halo verse is the same as the Mass effect universe. Ancient Alien stuff is really uninteresting to me and in the end kind of just makes me yawn when these sci-fi series begin to dwell on the mystery of what came before. A mystery that usually tends to be proto human bs. I would have been far more interested in ME's story had it not decided to put in the Reapers. Just telling a tale about man kinds adventures in space and the ramifications of that is far more interesting to me. These sci-fi universes never actually seem to want to handle the society aspects of their world, instead they want to go on the deep end of some epic cosmic stuff. Where I just want stories about whats happening in the universe between groups.

Though in the end I don't even think you could tell a tale in the Halo universe outside of the Spartan/Military stuff. Is there anything else going in there?

Life and times of the various species of ayy lmaos.

thisismyusername

« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2015, 05:19:20 AM »
catch feelings over mayo brehs..

He's one of the militant Vegans that can't seem to understand that not everyone cares about the environment like he does.  :-\

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #562 on: August 26, 2015, 07:37:56 AM »
Humanity losing a war of existence to a coalition of aliens united by a common religion that's false and this is known to the leadership caste is an interesting enough sci-fi premise. It's just that Bungie sort of forgot what made the Battle of Thermopylae interesting 3/4 of the way through Combat Evolved and went off the deep end. I didn't think it was a coincidence that I enjoyed the campaigns of ODST and Reach far more than I enjoyed the campaigns of the 3 mainline games I played.

The main problem was that Bungie never particularly gave a shit about bringing the lore across transmedia like books and comics and it was one of the reasons they fell out with MS (Along with MS refusing to let them take a break to do Destiny and wanted them only on Halo. Boy did that one bite MS on the ass) so a lot of it is just a mish mash of retcons and asspulls. So you are better off sticking to the games.

Compare it to Gears Of War where Epic actively wanted the transmedia parts like the books and comics to flesh it out and give context. So everything was understandable to the player while they played the game if they never touched one of the books. But you would get a bit more story and know the reasoning behind it. Friend had all the gears books and lent some to me before Gears 3 came out. Kinda good pulpy reading but when you combine it with the in game scenes. It's clever how they use the books for to give a little more depth than "meatheads shootbang". Totally changes the context of the Cole Train scene at the start of Gears 3 from goddamn hilarious to "You're gonna carry that weight", for example :fbm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:45:51 AM by Take My Breh Away »

Dennis

« Reply #563 on: August 26, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
catch feelings over mayo brehs..

The whitest struggle.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #564 on: August 26, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
Vegan mayo is some peak CAC, definitely.
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #565 on: August 26, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
This has been my problem with GAF from the outset.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084678

Rick and Morty.

Great show, very funny, I adore it. I don't put my faith into it. I watch it, make a few connections, might watch some old ones. But holy christ they are absolutely sucking the fun out of the show by trying to make it something it isn't.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176346765&postcount=1383

Quote from: DarkKyo
I think I know what bothers me so much about this episode in particular...

Okay, so the show is pretty wacky and they constantly break the fourth wall and the science fiction concepts are often completely unrealistic. I don't have a problem with any of that stuff because we're lead to believe that Rick's technology and super science makes anything in the show possible. The show also goes to great lengths to show you the heavy-handed emotional side of things. The often grim results of science experiments gone wrong, dark themes like the correlation between intelligence and sadness, and coping with the powerlessness of mortality in the face of the hard truth. It's a very fine balance and when it works, it's awesome! It's what makes the show stand out. In "Rick Potion No. 9" the ending is only made so powerful because we can see the toll that Rick's bastardized and lazy science has taken on the entire human race in a particular universe. However, that feeling is only made possible when it's shown that the universe(well, universes at this point) that Rick and Morty live in is actually a pretty normal, realistic place where crazy events involving aliens and interdimensional characters are mostly localized to Rick as they show up in the wake of Rick's often reckless experiments and immature ventures. The premise for most episodes often involve a conflict that is either brought upon by an experiment gone awry, stumbled upon while on a crazy adventure, or is tracked to earth by/on Rick himself. The biggest problem with this episode is that these massive head aliens came to Earth with seemingly no provocation or purpose besides instant, easy conflict. Rick knows about them, sure, but there was no explanation linking them to Rick or his actions. Add to that the fact that the entire planet has to deal with something so bizarre. Rick feels like a bystander in this episode that just chooses to get involved because he's bored. The heads coming to Earth randomly flips the idea that this world is a normal place like our Earth that, from time to time, has to deal with Rick's super science shenanigans. Now the world in the show is more so a place where anything can happen even without Rick around.

So it was an okay episode, but it messed with the formula a bit and felt a little unsatisfying due to that. It almost takes away from what the show has been going for so far a little bit. Makes everything feel a little cheaper and a little more random. Another thing I worry about is that I think Rick and Morty might soon start to suffer from the complex that some shows have of the titular characters having such a big role in saving the world over and over again but avoiding celebrity status(having the world in the show not remember that those crazy guys who are saving the world just saved the world sometime last year).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176403123&postcount=1431

Quote from: DarkKyo
The problem isn't with their origin or their purpose in the story, the problem is the idea that out of all the billions of planets with life on them(and probably at least tens of thousands that have cultures that feature music), they choose Earth at the perfect timing(while R & M are alive). Why couldn't they visit earth when music/creative energy was first concepted? Or maybe during the time of Mozart? Or perhaps sometime in the future when entire new genres of music that we cannot conceive of are beacons of creative achievement?

What I'm trying to say is that story-wise there is no purpose for them to randomly hit Earth now, except to setup conflict for Rick and Morty to resolve. This could have so easily been avoided by a single scene tying Rick(who as far as we know is the only human on earth who can explore deep space) to their reason for wanting to test Earth. Maybe he's just out drunkenly cruising somewhere past a star system while blasting some music on his ship's stereo and in doing so he catches the attention of a scouting big head out in space. The giant heads track Rick to his culture's origin so they can test the people of that planet. I feel that kind of context would have made such a world of difference in that episode because it would be another example of Rick's carelessness putting his planet in his current universe in grave danger.

So much faith in these intangible things: MGS, Rick and Morty, Ronda Rousey. Christ look at that new Rousey thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101997

People lining up to shit on her from the rooftops because she isn't what they had in mind. She's a woman who punches other women real good. Nope! She needs to have the same political affiliations and also play Captain Marvel, too. Wait she said what? She made a dumb choice? FUCK HER.
rub

« Reply #566 on: August 26, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176590286&postcount=126

shut the fuck up

honestly what the hell

how long do you need a thread to be "rip" "rip senseless" "rip hope the third person is ok" "rip why would anyone do this" "rip so sad" before someone makes a comment worth discussion

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #567 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
No, no, this was just a random tragedy that happened in a bubble, there are no larger policy issues in play that should be discussed. Go back to offering prayers for the dead.
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #568 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »

someone makes a comment worth discussion

gaf
rub

helios

« Reply #569 on: August 26, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »
We have to wait until this is forgotten to have the discussion.

mormapope

« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
Books based on videogame lore  :yuck

Feels like a waste of time to me. I only care about what's in the videogame, thanks.

When there's news of movies based on videogames  :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck

OH!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #571 on: August 26, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
Also internet detectives in the Virginia shooting threads, ''investigating'' dudes on Facebook and pointing fingers.  :yuck
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »
Also internet detectives in the Virginia shooting threads, ''investigating'' dudes on Facebook and pointing fingers.  :yuck

The police apparently already know who this guy is anyway: a disgruntled former employee.
dog

studyguy

« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
Hey man, it's not like internet detectives ever led the general public completely astray, right?

Hell, it's not like anyone's ever been hurt because of it though, right?
pause

daycru

« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:27 AM »
OMG REDDIT OMG

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #575 on: August 26, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »

The police apparently already know who this guy is anyway: a disgruntled former employee.

Dude filmed it and put it on twitter and facebook as well. Currently autoplaying on nearly every twitter and facebook stream with the amount of people who grabbed the video (its on liveleak now)

What a fucking sad situation all around.

Edit: Just reported he committed suicide. No words.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #576 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
GAF and Reddit detectives at the Boston marathon was something else. At least they were probably right here, as it was pretty easy to find with him posting it himself and all.

mormapope

« Reply #577 on: August 26, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
Words like coward and evil being thrown around in that thread
 :snoop

Internet tough guys combined with people that think someone in the right state of mind would do something like this is a surprisingly annoying combination.

EDIT: Elaboration, some people are using the world evil like he was a Cthulhu creature. The word coward is being thrown around because he killed himself and other people, don't know if that's the right word for this situation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:03:11 PM by mormapope »
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #578 on: August 26, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176606273&postcount=1301
I saw the movie Nightcrawler the other day. The resonates so much with that movie.

How? What?
 :oreilly
OH!

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #579 on: August 26, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »
If we had legalized suicide I wonder how many of the mass shootings could have been avoided.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #580 on: August 26, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
If we had invested in public mental health care seriously instead of closing down state run facilities and stigmatized mental illness in the working class during the 80's. I wonder how many of the mass shootings could have been avoided.

Tasty

« Reply #581 on: August 26, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
If we had legalized suicide I wonder how many of the mass shootings could have been avoided.

Dude, killing yourself isn't hard if you want to do it.

SmokyDave

« Reply #582 on: August 26, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101591

Wow they really hate white people over at neogaf.  :-\

Fucking hell Dave, the Black Panthers and Labour voters have a real lob on for you over at GAF these days.  :lol :lol
Yeah, you ain't kidding. So weird being seen as the far right winger when in real life I actually lean centre-left.

I read a few posts yesterday where people felt physically sick because of my hatred. Those flimsy cocks must shit themselves and break down in tears before breakfast. Fucking seppos.

« Reply #583 on: August 26, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »

that's easy to say when you've never done it!

ToxicAdam

« Reply #584 on: August 26, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »

You need to read up on that subject before you just mindlessly regurgitate what others have said.

The mental health system WAS broken and stigmatized long before Reagan took office. Even going back to Kennedy's time, where he saw his own mother institutionalized and physically broken because of it. He sought to phase out the old facilities,  build new ones and eliminate institutionalization. Only half of those proposed were built and never fully funded.  Mind you, this was in a time where Democrats had a historic hold on both houses of Congress and many state governments.  Reagan comes along in 1980 and pulls the plug on the failed initiative (while Democrats still controlled the purse in Congress) and they got to lay the blame on him.

Must not be that easy, because we have hundreds of people that go the 'suicide by cop' route instead.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:02:59 PM by ToxicAdam »

Tasty

« Reply #585 on: August 26, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »
Those people are looking to get more out of it than merely death. Compared to the 40,000+ suicides in the US every year, "suicide by cop" is a rather small amount.

bluemax

« Reply #586 on: August 26, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »

I read a Gear book on an airplane ride from Los Angeles to Seattle once. It was okay. Basically gave some back story but particularly ridiculous. It did suffer from the same issue of "trying to make every connected their entire lives" thing. I wouldn't have read it if I had had better options.
NO

Kara

« Reply #587 on: August 26, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »
Trying to kill yourself is easy, killing yourself in the way you may want isn't. Not everyone really wants to blow a shotgun barrel. (The only "almost foolproof" method of suicide commonly available.)

Yulwei

« Reply #588 on: August 26, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »
This has been my problem with GAF from the outset.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084678

Rick and Morty.

the something awful thread on the show is probably even worse. people get way too attached to these things. fandoms fucking suck

daycru

« Reply #589 on: August 26, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101591

Wow they really hate white people over at neogaf.  :-\

Fucking hell Dave, the Black Panthers and Labour voters have a real lob on for you over at GAF these days.  :lol :lol
Yeah, you ain't kidding. So weird being seen as the far right winger when in real life I actually lean centre-left.

I read a few posts yesterday where people felt physically sick because of my hatred. Those flimsy cocks must shit themselves and break down in tears before breakfast. Fucking seppos.
They don't have friends. They largely don't have jobs. The majority are living with their parents. This is all they have.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #590 on: August 26, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
Those people are looking to get more out of it than merely death. Compared to the 40,000+ suicides in the US every year, "suicide by cop" is a rather small amount.

Maybe I'm naive, but if you give people an avenue to do this legally/clean, then you have people that will reach out and admit they are struggling and can get help. Even just admitting it to someone else might be enough of a release to help them cope.  Instead they just bottle it up (for years) until it explodes.

Kara

« Reply #591 on: August 26, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »
Right now, if you come out and admit it you're somewhat criminalized (involuntarily held, flagged in the system). A special field that weeded out people who wanted to die from people who are just exasperated would go a long way.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #592 on: August 26, 2015, 02:29:43 PM »
Yea, that's the other mountain that needs to be conquered. Removing the stigma of suicide (or admitting to suicidal thoughts).

Tasty

« Reply #593 on: August 26, 2015, 02:41:43 PM »
Trying to kill yourself is easy, killing yourself in the way you may want isn't. Not everyone really wants to blow a shotgun barrel. (The only "almost foolproof" method of suicide commonly available.)

Jumping from a tall place seems generally more assured, as we're seeing with this newscrew murderer.

Kara

« Reply #594 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
Jumping is pretty effective, but you're putting other people at risk (both during the act and after depending on where you go splat) and have to endure what I imagine is sheer terror for the duration of the fall.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Kara

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #597 on: August 26, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »
Whatever happened to just electrocuting yourself in the tub ⚡️

Tasty

« Reply #598 on: August 26, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
Jumping is pretty effective, but you're putting other people at risk (both during the act and after depending on where you go splat) and have to endure what I imagine is sheer terror for the duration of the fall.

Or the sheer ecstasy of flying :preach

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #599 on: August 26, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »

I'm not going to speak on behalf of the dead or suicidal in any capacity but I'm going to guess that if you don't want to live, like really want to die, that short flight isn't scary at all.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just guessing.
rub