Author Topic: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE  (Read 306952 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE
« Reply #2400 on: September 23, 2020, 03:01:48 AM »
Oh my god it really was an AMA with a single question picked :dead

https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/21/star-citizens-chris-roberts-says-the-games-economy-simulation-tech-is-still-a-ways-off/

10 minus 9 for the Chairman

Star Citizen’s Chris Roberts, bleary-eyed and exhausted from the self-reported “running a company of 630 people spread around the globe, while directing two projects [which] already takes way more than 40 hours a week,” thought to himself, “What if I open an AMA but I only answer one question that others vote up and as long as that question follows certain guidelines?” And so he did.

[T]he game’s Quantum system, which readers will recall is the economic simulation system (...) The goal (not promise, Roberts hastens to point out) is to have elements of the system come online towards the back end of next year.

Top comment by Derek Smart :dead
https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/21/star-citizens-chris-roberts-says-the-games-economy-simulation-tech-is-still-a-ways-off/#comment-767487
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2401 on: September 23, 2020, 03:22:47 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/isf673/a_message_to_the_devs_and_community_at_large/

TL;DR If you are going to be negative, find another hobby.
(...)
I would want it to be exactly what I envisioned it to be, and would want it to be something I was proud of. I don’t even have a gaming computer powerful enough to play the Alpha. But I am proud to be a part of this dream.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/iuuv0a/comment/g5nljjs

I've always thought it would be around 2030 near a release date/soft launch. I could see it even stretching till 2035. I don't really mind so long as it's fun and plays well.

:steel

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/iu7504/comment/g5jrdld

guys this wasn't supposed to be a shitstorm i'm just fucking high lol
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2402 on: September 23, 2020, 09:26:53 AM »
i dont mind waiting 23 years for the game as long as its fun
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2403 on: September 23, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.

BAD FOREVER
rub

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2404 on: September 24, 2020, 04:28:26 PM »
So did they ever add in the sign language?
Well, they've been giving the middle finger to backers for years.

NMS is getting sandworms next update :lol
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:54:27 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2406 on: September 28, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »
excellent use of text effects!
QED

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2408 on: October 10, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
 :killme

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-10-10-as-star-citizen-turns-eight-years-old-the-single-player-campaign-still-sounds-a-long-way-off

"We still have a ways to go before we are in beta, but everyone on Squadron 42 is working very hard to deliver something great," CIG boss Chris Roberts said in an AMA on the Roberts Space Industries website to coincide with Star Citizen's eight birthday (Star Citizen was unveiled on 10th October 2012).

imminent release of a show focused just on Squadron 42 called The Briefing Room. New episodes are planned every three months until the game comes out.

The best answer for your question is Squadron 42 will be done when it is done

https://streamable.com/g5ctv3

Amazing.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2410 on: October 10, 2020, 08:46:59 PM »
We chose to build a game of Star Citizen’s complexity and ambition, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

:salute

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17805-Letter-From-The-Chairman

We have made great progress on iCache and are hoping to have it in a live build by Q2 of next year (“hoping” not “promising”).

Like our tech hurdles, it’s not a matter of if Star Citizen will ever reach critical mass but when. The future gets brighter quarter by quarter, as every release is an incremental and tangible step to the fully dynamic first-person universe sandbox that we have all dreamed of. You better bring shades!

Depending on Turbulent’s progress we are hoping to have the first iteration of the new Public Roadmap for Star Citizen and Squadron 42 to go live towards the end of this year.

:mindblown
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2411 on: October 10, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »
The SQ42 video is still coming (probably in the next few weeks), along with an assortment of other updates, including an overhaul to our Public Roadmap.

:trumps
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2412 on: October 10, 2020, 09:34:42 PM »
I don't see the problem, Roberts said he'd treat the backers like he'd would treat a publisher. Historically this means he keeps asking for money and doesn't deliver.
annihilated :girlaff
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2413 on: October 11, 2020, 12:06:28 AM »
Was it just findom all along ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2414 on: October 11, 2020, 04:02:57 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/j8vvpm/chris_roberts_reacts_to_negative_posts/

:waluigi

It's clear they consistently don't meet targets

I don't think thats mismanagement. The goal isn't to just push something out in a timely fashion, never has been. Its to create a good game. The target (date) is just a red herring to what actually matters. The quality of the game. And I don't think they're mismanaging that at all.

Ouch. In the time since I started backing in 2014 I moved to a different state, moved back to my home state, worked 2 jobs, traveled to 3 countries, visited 45 different American cities, got married, had two children, financed and paid off a vehicle, and bought a house.

I don't have time for video games as of last year even though I check back in on reddit to see what's up. I wish I never backed this game.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2415 on: October 11, 2020, 09:04:31 AM »
not even going to bother pasting quotes but it's amazing to me that after all these years of mostly fuck-all progress you *still* have people holding on to the naive idea that once the company develops the underlying systems and tools content will start flowing in immediately.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2416 on: October 11, 2020, 09:37:01 AM »
We’re getting more and more space games all the time. The field isn’t as barren as it was when this game started.
Which is great. It was even one of Chris's goals when he started this project.

A lot of people on here are starting to sound like the big game studios.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2417 on: October 11, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
The silhouette civilians (read: non-backers) are really out in force tonight.

:putin
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2418 on: October 11, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
Big Studio Energy :jeb :success
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2420 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:33 AM »
Error
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2421 on: October 20, 2020, 05:08:56 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jeh8dr/this_is_why_i_dont_actually_care_how_long_it_takes/

i sure am glad star citizen doesn't have anything like BOSSES. YEUCH BOSSES  :yuck :yuck :yuck :lol
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #2422 on: October 21, 2020, 12:03:07 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jeh8dr/this_is_why_i_dont_actually_care_how_long_it_takes/

i sure am glad star citizen doesn't have anything like BOSSES. YEUCH BOSSES  :yuck :yuck :yuck :lol

Sometimes having to creatively work within time and resource constraints leads to more interesting and distinctive results than unbounded pursuit of a bland generic ideal.
A good cartoon.
QED

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2423 on: October 21, 2020, 12:35:55 AM »
This will never actually finish or exist. I predict this will end like Yandere Sim - some day when tech has evolved a little more some kids will get annoyed and build it themselves in a few weeks.
Hi

nudemacusers

« Reply #2424 on: October 23, 2020, 10:03:19 PM »

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2425 on: October 24, 2020, 02:41:31 AM »
Elevator Panels keep regressing.  :goty2
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2426 on: October 24, 2020, 02:44:17 AM »
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2429 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:00 PM »
Eight years ago:
Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts teased his next project last month, and now he's providing some actual meaty details. Space sim fans, meet Space Citizen. As Roberts proclaims in a video, he's not buying into the doom and gloom proclamations that PC gaming is dead.

“In recent years, game designers have stopped innovating and pushing the boundaries of what you can do in this genre,” says Roberts. “I plan on bringing that kind of development mentality back into PC gaming and space sims in particular."

His project, Space Citizen, has been in development for a year, and now he needs players' help. He's turning to crowdsourcing to raise $2 million for the last stretch. He says the model is perfect for what he's trying to do, essentially a spiritual successor to his iconic space-sim series Wing Commander, because it eliminates the need for publishers and allows the studio to pour all of that cash into development. Don't expect to see this one on consoles or mobile devices, either.

“There is a lot of noise out there regarding social and mobile games right now, and I think PC gamers are feeling a little left out of the mix. But the PC is still incredibly capable of presenting an experience that doesn’t take a back seat to any other platform out there, including consoles. With my game, I want PC gamers to stand up, be counted and get excited again about all the great experiences their computer can deliver.”

Players take on tours of duty within the game, following a mission structure that should seem familiar to Wing Commanders. Those sections play out in a generally linear fashion, though players will have the opportunity to take different paths at various points. When they aren't committed to a formal job, however, pilots can explore the vast universe and make their mark. For instance, if you explore an obscure section of deep space and find an out-of-the-way jumpgate, that navigation point will be named after you, and other players will see it. The game will require a subscription, though it will be a one-time purchase, and not a month-to-month expense. Roberts promises regular updates and additional content rather than blasting players with major updates every year or so.

For more information on the game, visit the official website, where you can watch an in-depth video on the development goals, see some in-game assets, and pledge your cash to the project if you think it's something you'd like to play.

recursivelyenumerable

QED

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2432 on: October 27, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
This out yet?
©@©™

wsippel

« Reply #2433 on: November 24, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
TURBULENT CREATES NEW GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO IN MONTREAL TO MAKE WORLDS FOR STAR CITIZEN ​​​​​​​

Following Minority Stake Investment from Cloud Imperium Games in 2019, Turbulent Opens Montreal Studio Devoted to AAA Sci-Fi Game Development

Montreal, Canada, November 24, 2020 - Turbulent will open a Montreal game studio focused on building star systems for Cloud Imperium Game’s sci-fi Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game of unprecedented scale and uncompromising vision: Star Citizen. The studio will be directed by Benoit Beausejour (CTO and co-founder) and industry veterans Guillaume Voghel (Producer), Pierre-Luc Boulais (Art Director) and Louis Rousseau (Lead Game Designer).
https://www.gamespress.com/TURBULENT-CREATES-NEW-GAME-DEVELOPMENT-STUDIO-IN-MONTREAL-TO-MAKE-WORL

I believe this will be the sixth studio, and the third focusing primarily on Star Citizen, while the other three are mostly working on Squadron 42.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2434 on: November 24, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/k08amc/turbulent_creates_new_game_development_studio_in/
Yep, its not like code. It scales fairly linearly with more people, assuming you have an unlimited source of work. Which CIG does.
did everyone forget about star marine or what
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2435 on: November 25, 2020, 04:55:08 AM »
Content creation is doing great and the pace will pick up once we pipelined the tools we've been researching & developing for 8 years.

Also we're outsourcing big swathes of content.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:09:55 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

wsippel

« Reply #2437 on: November 25, 2020, 06:25:21 AM »
Content creation is doing great and the pace will pick up once we pipelined the tools we've been researching & developing for 8 years.

Also we're outsourcing big swathes of content.

CIG owns 25% of Turbulent, they've been working on Star Citizen for a few years now. Also yes. Probably. We know that some capital ships and large freighters are basically done for example, but they wouldn't work in game at this point. The core issue is still the server infrastructure. At one point, a single shard, which ran an entire star system, could only handle around 10 people, with super wonky performance and constant server crashes. I only give the game a spin around once or twice a year now, and it was significantly smoother and more stable this week compared to my previous test, with a lot more content and 50 players per shard. Quite an improvement, but they pretty much reached the limits of what's possible with the classic server shard model. How long it will take to implement their server meshing feature is anyone's guess at this point though. iCache, a core feature required to enable server meshing (and multiple star systems), was supposed to go online this year, but it's not done yet and I doubt it'll make a surprise appearance in 3.12.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:49:51 AM by wsippel »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2438 on: November 25, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »
Isn't Turbulent the studio that worked on the SC website or whatever?

Seems like a really good pick to help finish a game that is 6 years behind schedule :rofl

wsippel

« Reply #2439 on: November 25, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
Isn't Turbulent the studio that worked on the SC website or whatever?

Seems like a really good pick to help finish a game that is 6 years behind schedule :rofl

Turbulent has done the website, the communication system both ingame and on the website, ingame UI systems and backend server infrastructure. The new studio is headed by former Ubisoft Montreal guys Turbulent poached between July and September (from the Rainbow Six Quarantine team) and Turbulent's CTO.

Tasty

« Reply #2440 on: November 25, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
"Turbulent" is too close to Turbine (LOTRO) for my tastes.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2441 on: November 25, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »
turbulent is a fitting name for star citizen am i right  :corona_rodney
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2442 on: November 27, 2020, 04:19:12 AM »

I take it there's no new news about the roadmap's roadmap, the SQ42 video or Theaters of War ?

ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2443 on: November 27, 2020, 08:47:21 PM »
Emperor Constantine: "Chill out guys, Rome can't be built in a day. I know some of you guys just wanted us to make a small tribal village, but it became way more than we ever thought possible. So just keep sleeping on the ground for a few more decades and keep sending us money, and it's gonna be totally worth it. Be patient."
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2444 on: November 27, 2020, 08:51:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Oh wow, they have crazy messed up physics space like in that TNG episode where the chick fused with the deck already?

wsippel

« Reply #2445 on: November 28, 2020, 01:54:47 AM »
I take it there's no new news about the roadmap's roadmap, the SQ42 video or Theaters of War ?

New roadmap is coming in December: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17901-Upcoming-Roadmap-Update

TLDR: The new roadmap isn't written by hand anymore, it's connected to CIG's project management software, to give near realtime progress updates. It took so long because they obviously needed to create the frontend and interface and convert their internal data to something digestable and understandable. This new implementation will supposedly show everything they're working on, not just the things planned for the next three or four updates, and was designed to be used internally as well.

The SQ42 video was released in October:

And I don't really follow Theaters of War's development (because I frankly don't give a fuck), but CIG fast tracked the main battle tank very recently specifically for that game mode.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:16:42 AM by wsippel »

nudemacusers

« Reply #2446 on: December 03, 2020, 12:00:43 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/k4xpyy/saw_a_great_comment_on_youtube_today_about_star/

so many to choose from but this is probably the best tbh
You lost all credibility at "half working screenshot generator". The tired drivel is silly. The game could ship as a fully featured mining game right now. There is a LOT to do beyond grab screenshots.
:crowdlaff
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2448 on: December 26, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
The joke that keeps on giving! :rejoice
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2449 on: December 26, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
This is because it is too early to discuss release or finish dates on Squadron 42.

this is fine
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #2450 on: December 26, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.

Back in the day this is like what 99% of fangame projects would post on like GameMaker.net forums after the creator lost interest and school started back up and the game was well on its way to being vaporware but they really wanted to assure people it would get done eventually, pinky promise. (Such fangames were almost never finished.)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2451 on: December 26, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
Or every Kickstarter project that's already years past the initial estimated finish date and out of money.
dog

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2452 on: December 26, 2020, 11:22:02 PM »
Does this mean they’re finally gonna cut and run :thinking
(ice)

wsippel

« Reply #2453 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:59 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/kjl3wm/star_citizens_chris_roberts_delays_squadron_42/

:nothing
How could they delay a game that had no release date in the first place? CIG stated in early 2019 that they hope to enter beta by the end of 2020. That obviously didn't happen, but there were no plans to release that beta to the public in the first place.

Also, the "they make more money not releasing the game" argument people love to bring up makes very little sense to me. Squadron 42 is $45, or a $15 addon to Star Citizen. That's it. All the expensive ships and cosmetics CIG sells for boatloads of money are for Star Citizen, not Squadron 42. If anything, releasing Squadron 42 as soon as possible would be the best possible way to promote their real cash cow - as long as it's actually finished, polished and good. But looking at the new progress tracker, that won't happen in 2021, either. Maybe 2022. Star Citizen will probably enter beta before Squadron 42 even has a release date.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:57:57 AM by wsippel »

nudemacusers

« Reply #2454 on: December 30, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »
given the amount of pointless tweaking roberts is doing to star citizen its likely they have 1000 hours of unrecorded mocap script changes to complete before sq42 can get out the door. plus art/design.

also i think they've monetized theorycrafting to such a degree that whenever star citizen actually leaves 'alpha' interest in the IP deflate like a balloon. i'm sure everyone at cig realizes this by now, which is another reason why sq42 is getting backburned.

another problem I can see surfacing is that it isn't clear from a production standpoint which product is 'informing' the other... originally IIRC sq42 was the jump-off for star citizen; you play the solo game and sales would fund the persistent universe release that follows. that doesn't seem to be true anymore, so art/mechanics/lore edits are going to have to flow into SQ42, which has the pleasure of attempting to build a narrative around all of this murkiness. good luck lmao.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #2455 on: December 30, 2020, 10:39:56 AM »
I'm just so glad we have not one, but two new Duke Nukem Forevers to mock for the next decade and a half. :beetlejuice

When DNF actually released I missed having a large scale never-finished ego project on my mind's back burner I could check in on and laugh at every so often.

But now we have two! :jeb

Tasty

« Reply #2456 on: December 30, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
given the amount of pointless tweaking roberts is doing to star citizen its likely they have 1000 hours of unrecorded mocap script changes to complete before sq42 can get out the door. plus art/design.

also i think they've monetized theorycrafting to such a degree that whenever star citizen actually leaves 'alpha' interest in the IP deflate like a balloon. i'm sure everyone at cig realizes this by now, which is another reason why sq42 is getting backburned.

another problem I can see surfacing is that it isn't clear from a production standpoint which product is 'informing' the other... originally IIRC sq42 was the jump-off for star citizen; you play the solo game and sales would fund the persistent universe release that follows. that doesn't seem to be true anymore, so art/mechanics/lore edits are going to have to flow into SQ42, which has the pleasure of attempting to build a narrative around all of this murkiness. good luck lmao.

According to Wiki:

Squadron 42, a single-player game set in the same universe, was announced in the Kickstarter as part of the same game universe, accessed through the same game client as Star Citizen. The player character's performance in Squadron 42 will reportedly have an impact on their career in Star Citizen.[9]

They were (are?) literally planning to bolt the two "games" together and let you launch either from the main menu, and your character is the same across both or something.

I'm not sure anyone told Chris Roberts that CCP already kinda did this idea with Dust 514 (an actual released game that was then shutdown three years later), which interacted with the also-actually-released (and still running) EVE Online.

wsippel

« Reply #2457 on: December 30, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »
Roberts mostly focuses on Squadron, so Squadron should still inform everything else lore wise. And if you play the current Star Citizen alpha, there's very little lore regarding the event Squadron 42 is about. There are no Vanduul in Star Citizen yet, or any other alien races for that matter. The final planet in the Stanton system and the two neighboring star systems they're currently working on aren't going to change that, they are all in human space. They deliberately keep everything regarding the Vanduul or Earth politics to a minimum. The only mention of the war I remember is an inscription at the Hurston Dynamics HQ in Lorville. They're also holding back assets that are shared between both games but play an important role in Squadron 42.

That said, the technology Foundry 42 Frankfurt developed for Star Citizen absolutely informed the gameplay in Squadron 42 I believe. But it's also worth keeping in mind that most of the devs are working on Squadron 42 primarily or exclusively. The core technology group is shared between both games of course, and spread across all studios, But only two of the six studios, CIG Austin and Turbulent Montreal, are primarily dedicated to Star Citizen, and Austin mostly does backend and server stuff while Montreal only just opened.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2458 on: December 30, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
i predict sq42 to be a total bust; it's going to be a bunch of weird one-take mocap scenes, a terrible story, and all of the mechanics being hashed out and refined via crowdsourced feedback in star citizen will appear as half-formed and rushed versions.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2459 on: December 30, 2020, 10:52:18 PM »
Does this mean they’re finally gonna cut and run :thinking

no, there's still too much grift to be made off people that think CD Project Roberts going radio-silent is a good thing because he must be really working super hard on it now
©@©™