Author Topic: Titanfall 2  (Read 90221 times)

kingv

Re: Titanfall 2
« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:40 AM »
One thing they nailed with this game is that it is seldom frustrating, even when you are losing.

Having AI enemies was a good idea for that and you come back to life so quickly that death is a temporary setback.

I do kind of think that Titanfall 1 is better in some ways though. The levels were better and the dedicated servers allowed more AI density.

Would like to see some of that come back in tf3... if it happens.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #601 on: October 05, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #602 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »

kingv

« Reply #603 on: October 08, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »
Now that I’ve been playing this again, it reminds me how badly some of the maps in this game suck and lend themselves to camping and other unfun play styles.

Relic is garbage, I keep running into teams that just camp out in the big orange room area under the ship. It’s lame af.

Crash site is terrible, especially if you start on the bottom.

Complex also kind of sucks.

The game is at its best with the more open maps where you can change up the direction you are approaching by going around, under, or over stuff.

Also played against a dude who was incredibly good with the grappling hook. It was like watching Neo the way he used it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #604 on: October 08, 2019, 10:47:25 AM »
All the best Titanfall 2 maps are Titanfall 1 maps. Relic doesn't suck.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #605 on: October 08, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #606 on: October 09, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »
Relic's problem is that titans essentially can only go in the center from the one direction and thus it becomes a jammed up titan mess because nobody realizes you can crouch (and slide) with titans to go out/in the other way.

It does hurt when you play one of the old maps and realize just how much space there was and then play a new map. And even the ones they ported to 2 are some of the smaller ones. Like nobody really goes to the outskirts of Angel City.

I don't think I'm all that good with the grapple but I have been asked by people how to do stuff in game after they watch me use it to grab onto random things and then fling myself at odd angles. It's mostly just people thinking that it's way more limited than it actually is. Last time was a guy asking how I got across Boomtown so fast, he didn't realize you could grapple all the random shit spread on the map, not just the "walls" and I was using a car and then a broken slab to pull myself forward and then fling myself around and over the center to land on the backside in those fields.

kingv

« Reply #607 on: October 09, 2019, 08:12:26 AM »
I might try out the grapple more... but I really like the stim. Pop it to catch up to a titan, or to run away when you get shot.

Plus it restarts your healing right away.

benjipwns

« Reply #608 on: October 10, 2019, 12:52:04 AM »
holy shit, just had an amped hardpoint game where they gained control of every point and ran the score up to 397-221

we grabbed every point back, amped them all and held until we won it 400-397

bless :phil  up

benjipwns

« Reply #609 on: October 11, 2019, 12:50:42 AM »
dudes on the other team were whining through this attrition game (on Relic) in general chat for the whole match:
"i am so tired of these one sided matches"
"this game is so broken, why did they never fix it?"
"is half their team hacking"
"the kill cams do look sus"
"some of them are exploiting the grapple to triple jump"
"how the fuck did [some dude on our team] know i was going through a doorway? he was looking right at it!"
"benji must have some pay perk on his titan" (i kept dooming this dude's ion with a monarch from like halfway across the map because he was dropping the triplines and then standing and waiting for someone to come through his clever trap, the titans don't have recoil you dummy and i'm shooting at your weak point for massive damage)
"they're somehow shooting me out of the air even though i'm dodging or cloaked"
"is there a report function?"

some guy on our team at the end of the match as they're all whining more after we blow up the rescue ship finally says:
"just learn to shoot harder smdh"

lol shoot harder was perfect, none of us said anything else

it was really lopsided though, if there was a top six instead of top three we would have had five of the six and then seventh too, they weren't killing any of the fodder either, i always try to get like 50 points or so that way, just dashing the titans over grunts is probably worth 20 points a game to me (i also throw a lot of electric smoke grenades at the pods when they land)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:55:53 AM by benjipwns »

kingv

« Reply #610 on: October 11, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
On the boner, I very rarely get into lopsided matches.

In the last few weeks I’ve only had maybe 3 or so that were stomps. It mostly seems to happen if you Party up. I think it prioritizes pre-mades into groups with each other and randos into groups with each other.

Because I join someone’s game invite from the advocate room, the matches are a lot sweatier.

benjipwns

« Reply #611 on: October 11, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
I don't think we were particularly lopsided in terms of what the matchmaking would take into account. We were just a better team once we got put together. Also we weren't stopping to type a bunch of shit into chat all match long.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #612 on: October 12, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:34:26 PM by toku »

benjipwns

« Reply #613 on: October 14, 2019, 12:37:22 AM »
saw a guy just killing it using stim and hover to fly around airborne at absurd amounts unless he ran out of level geometry, i told him so and someone on our team said "is that what he's doing? i thought it was some kind of hacking"

then the dude said "hey thanks benji you're the only one to kill me so far without a titan"

:smug :ego :smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
actually looking up in video games :lawd
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #614 on: October 14, 2019, 12:42:41 AM »
that grapple video reminded me a couple weeks ago i spent a bunch of a match on Rise (1:08 in vid) wall jumping back and forth against the high walls to stay up top and raining death down on titans and it was driving people crazy

edit: no, NO, that Glitch one

NO

ILLEGAL

BAN

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #615 on: October 29, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #616 on: November 05, 2019, 12:24:30 AM »
I think MW has done a number on this, only 280 players on PC tonight!

This happened with Blops4 and some other games in the past but it never lasted. APEX actually brought more people into the game after the first month.

benjipwns

« Reply #617 on: November 06, 2019, 12:44:39 AM »
Weird. 940 players tonight. It was like ~800-850 in the week before MW came out. :huh

benjipwns

« Reply #618 on: November 20, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »
Was just playing just a regular ol attrition match, not only was it super tight the whole way and we barely won like 650-640 or something, but the grunts and stuff were dropping perfectly along with the lines of the battle. Everybody was actually kinda sticking close together both as Titans and Pilots. It really did strike me as just how huge and awesome the battles can feel when it works out like that (admittingly not that often and less effective on some of 2's maps) and how much all those AI fighters add even if they barely fight back and like to kill you only if you try to act like they don't exist or you're briefly ignoring them to try and do something else before clearing them out. I'd really like to see the new larger style Call of Duty (or Battlefield) try something similar. Though I don't know how much of that truly needs the backend like they were somewhat exaggeratedly describing way back before the first game.

Also if you jump on the street lights people seem confused and act like you're hovering even though you can still move.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #619 on: November 21, 2019, 02:52:11 AM »
https://twitter.com/pshanley88/status/1189294873976942594

:fbm

Man, they launched an expensive game that didn't make money, and then APEX is (on paper) a cheap game that has raked in money. There's no way they're getting a Titanfall 3 going.

Beezy

« Reply #620 on: November 21, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »
chrono plz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #621 on: November 21, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
Titanfall will always live in my heart. It will never die.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #622 on: November 23, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
I'm thinking they might try again with Titanfall next gen.
It'll have more traction coming from the guys that did Apex Legends and Star Wars Fallen Order.

It might be one of those franchises that can 'explode' with the right early next gen timing.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #623 on: November 23, 2019, 11:15:35 PM »
I hope EA gives them the promise they made to [five other studios that are now in hell] where they do one "priority" game and one "studio favorite" game.

APEX now looks brilliant, but it was still kind of an not-so-EA risk, jumping into an already filled market with a game like that with no pre-release talk or anything. Especially when Battlefield had BR coming. And Respawn was known to be doing Star Wars.

I think they actually did make money on Titanfall 2, they just set the expectations too high THEN moved the date to a hell spot, the first game did fantastic remember. It being tied into APEX's world lets them do something like a next-gen game that's Titanfall + APEX like how Blackout got welded onto CoD.

Absolutely none of this post is wishful thinking and is fact first hand talk from my Uncle who runs EA's secret top secret unit.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #624 on: November 24, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
This is why we get along Benji. It's not our love for Titanfall 2, Zack Snyder, and Nu-Metal. It's the refusal to stop dreaming. Bless up.

benjipwns

« Reply #625 on: December 03, 2019, 01:07:18 AM »
Pulling off an intentional titan drop on someone never stops being one of my favorite things in games.

Also, when we ejected this dude who was rodeoing me turned around in the air to look away from me for some reason, so I grappled him in midair to reward him more personally.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #626 on: December 03, 2019, 09:33:59 PM »

ps plus noobs  :rejoice

apparently went up as high as 16k  :preach

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #627 on: December 03, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »
*titanfall 2/respawn prevails somehow despite all odds*

You, Some Trash Normie That Has Only Just Begun to Understand the Ways of a Pilot: Wow!

Me:

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #628 on: December 06, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
PA two days in a row:

titanfall forever

bluemax

« Reply #629 on: December 06, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/pshanley88/status/1189294873976942594

:fbm

Man, they launched an expensive game that didn't make money, and then APEX is (on paper) a cheap game that has raked in money. There's no way they're getting a Titanfall 3 going.

I have a friend who worked on it, they didn't expect it to be as popular as it was. They were pretty off guard by how big Apex got.
NO

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #630 on: December 07, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #631 on: December 07, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »
regarding that PA comic, yeah, without even looking at people's levels you can definitely tell as me and everyone are fighting around the tops of maps, they're running around the ground level and only getting onto roofs via stairs

seeing titans panic as you confound them by moving at strange angles with speed is also a good sign, the other night this dude literally chased me, firing almost blindly, for like a minute as i kept peppering him with hits and eventually escaped into the upper levels of Rise until he passed and I blasted him some more from far away to doom the titan :lol

i thought he was gonna have me but instead of meleeing he tried to shoot me again so i was able to use the titan as a grapple point to move across his front fast and fling away

grapple to rodeo and stop moving? :donot

kingv

« Reply #632 on: December 07, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
Going to have to get some games in now that I finished up with Death stranding

benjipwns

« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2019, 01:00:36 AM »
a bunch of dudes rage quit mid match so it was like 5 v 3, and everyone was saying to do a kraber match but i already was sitting in my titan as the only one so i spent the rest of the time running around running over grunts and blowing up the reapers and killing the auto titan that someone dropped by accident so everybody else could kraber match, i came around a corner and found like the entire other team and stopped and backed up and they said "thanks benji" :lol

everybody else had like 15+ pilot kills, zero titan kills and barely any AI kills and i had like two pilot kills, three titan kills and 80 some AI kills

also i've been mixing up the loadouts some on my titans from how i've played forever, the arc rounds on the monarch are insane, can't believe i never used them before, they fire through shields both the regular kind and the ion/scorch's absorb thing but people'll just stand there like the shield is working, the gun that the monarch has will rip even legions apart so fast i don't think anyone realizes it; during my clearing out i managed to upgrade all the way and the last upgrade that speeds up your rounds is hilarious, the reapers were going down in like a second from me just blasting through them

i also switched my titan kit to energy thief, when you do a termination on a doomed titan you steal their battery too, also the animation is hilarious: your titan kills the other pilot by smashing the cockpit door down on them

the team decided to just let them escape but right as the escape ship was getting to the edge i fired one shot to knock out the shield :teehee

benjipwns

« Reply #634 on: December 18, 2019, 01:01:32 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #635 on: December 18, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
ea plz, put this on steam and make it f2p

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #636 on: December 19, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
forgot how sweaty even attrition is

think I got to lvl 3 monarch once, but couldn't do much before the game ended

benjipwns

« Reply #637 on: December 19, 2019, 10:15:45 PM »
yeah I maybe every other match was even getting to lvl 2

the arc rounds are lvl 1 though, since I switched to them I've been living longer and seem to always get to 2 now, I had originally settled on the extra missiles but the arc rounds are way more effective, especially since you can basically snipe with the fucking thing across any map through tiny building gaps and shit

having that termination also helps because the batteries not only bump up your level but recharges your shield and health, also when you level up each step your shield gets recharged, plus the energy siphon is really important to use whenever it's available (thankfully it aims at the same spot as your weapon)

until you get to lvl 2 and upgrade it I'm not sure I see a ton of value in the reloading "perk" in the middle of a fight, but after you upgrade it if you can dash into cover you can come back out blasting with everything which wrecks even a legion pretty fast

kingv

« Reply #638 on: December 19, 2019, 10:32:37 PM »
What does the energy siphon do? Drain their core to fill yours?

I don’t use monarch much. I usually just use ion.

benjipwns

« Reply #639 on: December 19, 2019, 11:06:10 PM »
It beefs up your shields, it also slows them down and screws up their vision. And successful hits with it build up your core.

You can use it on everything btw, the dropships that come in to drop grunts are perfect fodder to hit if you're away from battle. I don't know what it does to pilots exactly but I've hit them accidentally with it.

The lvl 2 upgrade to it makes it AoE from where you hit so you can hit multiple titans/pilots/etc.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: December 30, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
Is tf1 worth buying? Always been interested in it
What

benjipwns

« Reply #642 on: January 01, 2020, 07:13:32 PM »
I listened to Frothy and some others videos about each titan while working and have been considering some of the suggestions, I'm not sure about some of them but a few so far seem promising, malestrom as level 2 for monarch definitely is pretty absurd nonsense, and using the long range powershot with the legion as a railgun that gets you fast to smart core which you use the extended perk on is pretty annoying too.

I see the benefits of the charge laser especially as you can hit pilots with it, but blasting the thunderbolt in the general direction of titans (especially when you're using titan hunter) just seems so key to my playstyle at this point that I dunno, even if everyone considers it "meme tier" or whatever.

Also nobody seems to decide whether Ion's tripwires are totally useless or a secret awesome feature so good that the no energy usage version makes it the best Titan class. Same with its regular gun. So all I learned regarding that is what I already knew about the laser shot being your actual main weapon. Though I did learn that laser core fires higher than it appears on the screen so it can look (to everyone including yourself) like you're blasting some chest high wall but it's totally destroying some dude half a mile away.

Frothy, and another who I forget, really seems to hate the auto-eject because you don't get the doomed state health and losing a titan hurts your team, but not only are you losing the titan anyway, I watched them using it and none of them seemed to know you can direct the way you eject out of the titan and maneuver in the air rather than just firing straight up. I use it to briefly get out of the area and come back around to re-hunt the titans. Some maps make it completely trivial to immediately disappear onto rooftops or into upper levels until the heat is off.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:20:57 PM by benjipwns »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #643 on: January 01, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #644 on: January 02, 2020, 12:32:20 AM »
I think I fundamentally cannot use the charge rifle lol

Maybe I should activate the mod where you can just rapid fire it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #645 on: January 02, 2020, 10:48:15 AM »
I think the damage is better than the fast charge time. Just play with it more, you have to find a rhythm.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #646 on: January 02, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »
So Vince Zampella to Dice LA.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1212840370746343424

Titanfall 3 on Frostbite from Dice LA in 2022 confirmed?

benjipwns

« Reply #647 on: January 06, 2020, 12:57:47 AM »
I caved and switched to the fast charge, I can pepper them pretty good and get enough crits to build up my meter since I'm Titan Hunter. Especially if I can nail them with an arc nade which I've also been playing with. I'll consider moving back after I start chugging along, I'm now leveling it up actually. (To show how ineffective I was.)

Main titan learns so far:
Legion: goal is to just get to smart core, using the long range railgun is brutal on people too, everyone expects the legion to be spun up firing and not railgunning their crit points
Ion: definitely underused the laser until now, popping out, blasting and back to cover works well, tripwires are great don't believe the lies, can actually drop them if you have no smoke and kill rodeos if you crouch and turn your back to them since rodeos can only jump off one way, use the regular gun (not split) just to cover retreats while laser recharges, don't really bother with the shield
Monarch: forget what I said about reload on level 2 entirely, Maelstrom is omg absurd... actually doubting what I said about arc rounds now and maybe the missiles are better after all, the arc rounds "feel" better tho
Tone: I've spent the whole time firing too few missiles into the air
Northstar: when you get the core, hover and right as you start to come down, trigger it, it shoots you up like twice as high, you can't be melee'd and stuff anymore

Moved off my beloved sentries to map hack, I wish I could tell if it was helping my team, I don't need the XP but at least in CoD/BF you get the assist notification, would like that, it's not so useful for me as much... I considered doing Dice Roll just to get random but I don't want to wind up as that dude with a smart pistol

I did some Stim and immediately kept screwing up because I didn't have my grapple so I just said, nah I don't need to change that at this point, sometimes your original methods are the best, I learned that in the other TF2 ages ago

The main change since I watched these videos is I'm thinking a ton more about building up the core, I used to be focused on damaging titans or controlling areas, and I mean, you still do, but doing what you can to get to the cores (except Ronin's I guess) is really important after all, even if it feels like I always am doomed right as I get to one... also been focused a lot more on using cover as a titan outside of Ronin, I never really did it enough with them except Monarch and Northstar

The most important thing though? I remembered how you can melee through the titan shields, killed like four dudes in a match as they were trying to hide/get in their titan, I knew this with Ronin (and he's the only one who can do it without damaging himself) but all of them can do it and you won't take any real amount of damage if you dash backwards as soon as you hit

I figure someday I'll get tired of this like the other TF2 (which I've considered revisiting just to futz around), DoD:S, DoD, etc. Maybe it'll be this year?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2020, 10:31:09 PM »
Whenever you decide to hang up the jetpack, know you earned your rest pilot.  :'(

kingv

« Reply #649 on: January 09, 2020, 10:54:35 PM »
Yeah the laser on ion is sweet. It doesn’t “feel” strong but it does a ton of damage and is great for sniping pilots. True hit scan weapon.

benjipwns

« Reply #650 on: January 25, 2020, 12:23:48 AM »
smh at dudes who come busting through with their titan just to use it to eject into the ship when there's three enemy titans around

like first of all they gonna blow up the ship

second at least leave the auto titan, they suck but it'll distract and melee them at least

third, I KNOW YOU GONNA JUST SIT HERE AND NOT SHOOT OUT OF THE SHIP, ONLY I EVER SEEM TO DO THAT, at least drop nades straight down man!

benjipwns

« Reply #651 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:56 AM »
literally everyone on the other team had nuke ejections equipped and this dude was complaining about it

so i typed "USE THE PATENTED GET OUT OF THE WAY MOVE"

and many "lol" were responded

:smug

also these stupid fucking scorches and this tone kept trying to battle me at long distance while i kept laser sniping them with ion then ducking back to cover, then when they got doomed i'd throw down tripwires and wait for them to come closer (to try the nuke eject i assume) then suddenly bum rush them to execute, try nuke ejecting when i'm laser melting your face off buddy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:27:08 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #652 on: February 05, 2020, 12:29:29 AM »
this seagrave dude's kills and score lol

kingv

« Reply #653 on: February 05, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »
I respect you yum! Brands

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #654 on: February 14, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #655 on: February 16, 2020, 12:27:35 AM »
holy shit, this doomed Tone fired his entire Salvo Core at me and I managed to block all of it with the Ronin Sword :gladbron then I phase dashed at him to do the termination :whew

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #656 on: February 16, 2020, 03:20:37 AM »
ppl who pretend ronin isn't cool are cowards

the sword is yours pilot

benjipwns

« Reply #657 on: March 01, 2020, 12:18:30 AM »
trapped in the kraber part of the cycle again, swear I get at least as many or probably more melee kills while using it than I do with it itself, tonight couldn't even hit some grunts with it :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #658 on: March 12, 2020, 12:21:27 AM »
THE SIX FOUR IS A FAMILY

benjipwns

« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
Became in favor of gun control after the entire other team was using smart pistols.

Also, this dude thought he was clever continually putting his Northstar up on the crane on Drydock. Except he couldn't move side to side very much, and my ion laser was quite effective then. Also because he was doing stuff like this I decided to be a dick back to him and not dodge his flight cores but always move in the way and grab all the missiles. He thought he was going to able to hit the entire team with it one time so I dash strafed out from behind the wall to grab them all then fire them back to the side deliberately like he was beneath my using them against him. :pacspit