Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 940700 times)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #12240 on: February 09, 2023, 01:05:27 PM »
In that sense I hope that MP4 is a sort of soft reboot following the original and they ditch Metroid Prime 2 + 3 which took the series in a different more steampunk direction.
I'd be ok with this.  It'd just be weird they're making it straight up MP4.  Not that they should pull a Metroid Prime (2025) thing, but normies will be asking what's up with 2 and 3.

Simply call it NEW Metroid Prime
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #12241 on: February 09, 2023, 01:30:00 PM »
:crowdlaff

You’d think after 6 years, ports wouldn’t be more than 75% of the content of a Nintendo direct.

That's the console, it took you that long to realize? :idont Its main success was to built an ecosystem running on manbaby nostalgia and ripping off casuals/children with low effort ports and ROM dumps. When its idiot fanbase bought a subpar port of Street Fighter 2 for almost full price early on, it probably clicked for most publishers. While all the praise for the machine's supposed amazing original content still mostly boils down to launch year games when I look around online discourse.

Anyway, I'll also give credit where it's due and say that within this context 40 bucks for Metroid is fair enough. The graphical jump relative to its prior hardware feels about as big as Dead Space and that shit is full priced. Admittedly, both seem to be on the level of Black Mesa, which is 20 bucks, so 40 still isn't great - but better than many other offerings these days.

Eh, even if I'm not huge on the art direction, visually Dead Space is more like bluepoint full on remake stuff. Isn't Prime just a port with some new textures and models?

Dead Space and Last of Us should have been $40 at launch imo, but Prime either should've been all three games for $60, or max of like $25-$30 for the first game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12242 on: February 09, 2023, 01:45:47 PM »
In that sense I hope that MP4 is a sort of soft reboot following the original and they ditch Metroid Prime 2 + 3 which took the series in a different more steampunk direction.
I'd be ok with this.  It'd just be weird they're making it straight up MP4.  Not that they should pull a Metroid Prime (2025) thing, but normies will be asking what's up with 2 and 3.
Nintendo released a direct sequel to Metroid Fusion after 2 decades without further elaborating so I think they'll just do the same thing again.

Originally Metroid Prime took place between Metroid I and II I think but by the time MP3 rolled along they decided that it was just it's own 'spin off' series and didn't take place in the same 'story'.
Next they made Other M and said that would clear everything up but it only retconned most of the origin story depicted in the manga, manuals and other media. Since then Other M also isn't part of the same story anymore but Dread is the 'end' of the original story that started with Metroid I.

So basically these are the only games part of the story arc:
Metroid I - Metroid II: Return of Samus - Metroid III (Super Metroid) - Metroid IV (Fusion) - Metroid V (Dread)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:51:45 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12243 on: February 09, 2023, 03:24:21 PM »

Hold on. It's just MP1, not the trilogy?

:lol :lol :lol

You're the resident PS5 owner, at least Nintendo is offering a 2002 game with better visuals for $40, rather than taking a 2013 game that looks fine as is, and asking for $70. Suck my short chubby you fucking dong. Metroid Prime 1 will probably be better than any Dadstation 5 exclusive this year to boot.

Sorry you had to stop fapping to Miyamoto's pic for a bit to address this  :(

I don't even own a PS5 :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're still as rare in the UK as a good Nintex post
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12244 on: February 09, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »
If you're complaining about Metroid Prime being $40, but paid $70 for Dead Space or Last of Us Part 1, then I don't know what to say to you other than you're a fucking idiot fanboy with a big Sony dildo up your arse. But I don't imagine we have have any of those types of hypocrites around here at all.
Spud

Fifstar

« Reply #12245 on: February 09, 2023, 04:38:11 PM »

You’d think after 6 years, ports wouldn’t be more than 75% of the content of a Nintendo direct.

That's the console, it took you that long to realize? :idont Its main success was to built an ecosystem running on manbaby nostalgia and ripping off casuals/children with low effort ports and ROM dumps. When its idiot fanbase bought a subpar port of Street Fighter 2 for almost full price early on, it probably clicked for most publishers. While all the praise for the machine's supposed amazing original content still mostly boils down to launch year games when I look around online discourse.

Anyway, I'll also give credit where it's due and say that within this context 40 bucks for Metroid is fair enough. The graphical jump relative to its prior hardware feels about as big as Dead Space and that shit is full priced. Admittedly, both seem to be on the level of Black Mesa, which is 20 bucks, so 40 still isn't great - but better than many other offerings these days.

Eh, even if I'm not huge on the art direction, visually Dead Space is more like bluepoint full on remake stuff. Isn't Prime just a port with some new textures and models?

Dead Space and Last of Us should have been $40 at launch imo, but Prime either should've been all three games for $60, or max of like $25-$30 for the first game.

I think Prime pretty much remakes or extensively touches up all geometry, textures, vfx and lighting. It's just the same game under the hood. OG Prime looked great back then but not as good as this. Remaster is for sure selling it short.
Gulp

paprikastaude

« Reply #12246 on: February 09, 2023, 04:55:06 PM »

I think this comes as close to Bluepoint-level as it possibly could on this hardware. Look at comparisons, it's not just new textures. And as much as I liked Demon's Souls, Metroid Prime does a much better job keeping the original vision. Wow, look at me praising Nintendo. I guess it helps when expectations are at rock bottom after all those barebones ports like Skyward Sword that also cost more than the originals back in the day; this kind of effort was simply unexpected. It's sad that Retro Studios was mismanaged into its prior hiatus, but also good to see that they are still one of Nintendo's better developers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:40:10 PM by paprikastaude »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12247 on: February 09, 2023, 05:07:40 PM »
If you're complaining about Metroid Prime being $40, but paid $70 for Dead Space or Last of Us Part 1, then I don't know what to say to you other than you're a fucking idiot fanboy with a big Sony dildo up your arse. But I don't imagine we have have any of those types of hypocrites around here at all.

Did I say anything about the price? I don't give a fuck if it's 40 or 200 bucks.

MP4 was announced 6 years ago, Retro has been fucking around for 5 years now (after spending 4 years porting DKCTF to the Switch), so people have turned to hoping that at least there would be a trilogy remake, and all they could come up with is a remaster of only the original, 2 decades old game.
Hence my amusement.

You can draw all the comparisons you want with TLOU being re-re-released and the scummy $70 price tag for shits and giggles, but in the time in took Retro to put out one game and one remake, ND released 3 major games, 2 chunky expansions, and 2 remakes.

Bebpo

« Reply #12248 on: February 09, 2023, 05:24:43 PM »

I think this comes as close to Bluepoint-level as it possibly could on this hardware. Look at comparisons, it's not just new textures. And as much as I liked Demon's Souls, Metroid Prime does a much better job keeping the original vision. Wow, look at me praising Nintendo. I guess it helps when expectations are at rock bottom after all those barebones ports like Skyward Sword that also cost more than the decade-old originals; this kind of effort was simply unexpected. It's sad that Retro Studios was mismanaged into its prior hiatus, but also good to see that they are still one of Nintendo's better developers.

I see. From the vids, it just looked like how GC games look in emulators these days. Surprised they didn't market it more extensively if it was a full on remake.

Maybe I'll pick it up when it's on-sale in that case.

paprikastaude

« Reply #12249 on: February 09, 2023, 05:39:00 PM »

I think this comes as close to Bluepoint-level as it possibly could on this hardware. Look at comparisons, it's not just new textures. And as much as I liked Demon's Souls, Metroid Prime does a much better job keeping the original vision. Wow, look at me praising Nintendo. I guess it helps when expectations are at rock bottom after all those barebones ports like Skyward Sword that also cost more than the decade-old originals; this kind of effort was simply unexpected. It's sad that Retro Studios was mismanaged into its prior hiatus, but also good to see that they are still one of Nintendo's better developers.

I see. From the vids, it just looked like how GC games look in emulators these days. Surprised they didn't market it more extensively if it was a full on remake.

Looks like the biggest effort they've put into a remaster since probably Zelda 3DS and it's not even a contest.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12250 on: February 09, 2023, 06:12:04 PM »
After some consideration, I must apologize for my previous post. Naughty Dog absolutely makes a ton of the best games of all time, way better than Retro Studios, who can't even make games.

When I do eventually get a PS5, I hope Last of Us Part 2 Remake is out, and the price point of $70 for the 2020 classic is absolutely warranted, because Naughty Dog makes a lot of games, and good ones too.

Meanwhile, I hope Metroid Prime gets a permanent price cut to $4.99, because Retro Studios doesn't make games anymore, Metroid Prime 4 isn't an actual videogame, it's gross and inhumane management of a studio. Nintendo should be absolutely embarrassed that they don't force games out of Retro Studios.

To reiterate, it's not about price points, it's about studio management. I hope to god the people at Retro Studios have friends, safety nets, and emergency funds, because Nintendo will absolutely mismanage that studio to death.

I'm absolutely salivating about Naughty Dog's next project, a multi-player mode based game based around The Last of Us 2. Wow, they're the best in the biz. The creativity and output totally demolishes what Retro Studios has accomplished.
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #12251 on: February 09, 2023, 06:23:38 PM »
Glad you came around  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #12252 on: February 09, 2023, 06:24:39 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like the biggest effort they've put into a remaster since probably Zelda 3DS and it's not even a contest.

Out of all the comparison photos I've seen, I hate this one because the different perspectives makes it hard to tell anything besides that they re-textured a rock.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12253 on: February 09, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
I've seen rumors that they worked 3 years on this remaster and I can believe it. The detail of all the reworked assets is just insane.
Retro Studios is back, this is a 10/10 game that has been made even better, so I guess a 11/10 game? It's off the review scale.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12254 on: February 09, 2023, 06:39:04 PM »

Hold on. It's just MP1, not the trilogy?

:lol :lol :lol

You're the resident PS5 owner, at least Nintendo is offering a 2002 game with better visuals for $40, rather than taking a 2013 game that looks fine as is, and asking for $70. Suck my short chubby you fucking dong. Metroid Prime 1 will probably be better than any Dadstation 5 exclusive this year to boot.

Sorry you had to stop fapping to Miyamoto's pic for a bit to address this  :(

I don't even own a PS5 :lol

They're still as rare in the UK as a good Nintex post
[close]
don't you fucking talk to morma da gawd like that. raist, you piece of shit!

"boohoo hoo nintendo is better at making money on vidya than my beloved sony  :cry "

stupid biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch  :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12255 on: February 09, 2023, 06:40:52 PM »
I've seen rumors that they worked 3 years on this remaster and I can believe it. The detail of all the reworked assets is just insane.
Retro Studios is back, this is a 10/10 game that has been made even better, so I guess a 11/10 game? It's off the review scale.
can we get retro to remake raists' entire posting history next. guy needs all the help he can get  :rofl

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12256 on: February 09, 2023, 06:56:25 PM »
Nintendo released a direct sequel to Metroid Fusion after 2 decades without further elaborating so I think they'll just do the same thing again.

Originally Metroid Prime took place between Metroid I and II I think but by the time MP3 rolled along they decided that it was just it's own 'spin off' series and didn't take place in the same 'story'.
Next they made Other M and said that would clear everything up but it only retconned most of the origin story depicted in the manga, manuals and other media. Since then Other M also isn't part of the same story anymore but Dread is the 'end' of the original story that started with Metroid I.

Metroid I - Metroid II: Return of Samus - Metroid III (Super Metroid) - Metroid IV (Fusion) - Metroid V (Dread)
:wut

From the vids, it just looked like how GC games look in emulators these days.
:wut

Tasty

« Reply #12257 on: February 09, 2023, 07:45:28 PM »

Prime series' canon status to the main series was always a bit fuzzy but I think around when Other M came out, Sakamoto was like "they're spinoffs," then when Samus Returns was coming out he was like "they're basically canon." When MP1 came out Retro was obviously like "it's totally canon!" while Sakamoto was silent and focusing more on Fusion. IIRC.

To my mind, it was a combo of Sakamoto somewhat trying to "make a better Prime" with Other M (story focus, full 3D, weird FPS segments) and when that game bombed he was like "I guess people like Prime for a reason? :dunno" Then he had to hand the keys of the franchise over to Westerners again for Returns and Dread, so he probably mellowed out on the idea of other teams working on "his baby." Hence, Prime getting re-retconned back into canon.

Note: This is my Nintex-tier fanfiction read of the situation btw. Obvious grain of salt, etc.

Beezy

« Reply #12258 on: February 09, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »
Bebpo must've watched the trailer in 360p.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12259 on: February 09, 2023, 08:01:20 PM »

:dead
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #12260 on: February 09, 2023, 08:11:07 PM »
I’ll rescind my notion.  I think, like many others, we expected them to just port the damn trilogy.  It really seemed like a no brainer.  However, if given the choice in front of me; would I rather have the Wii trilogy straight up ported, or a Remaster of the first one?  I would go for the MP1 Remaster, because it’s the best of the 3, hands down.  It’s exciting to think of the spruced up vision that's more than just a port.. Therefore, I’m glad they went this route.

However, that being said, this feels like a bit of a lost cause, because there’s so much massive potential of how amazing and immersive looking MP could be if not being handicapped on switch hardware…  It’s evident, because when introduced, it looked the same at first glance… Until people started pointing out the comparisons, only then you can see the actual work put in it...  I'd would've rather they Remade it for a Switch 2 launch title, tbph.

This is not a Demon’s Souls PS3->PS5 Remake difference… this is a TLOU1 PS3->PS5 Remake difference.  You literally have to have the comparison screens to tell the changes.  Unless you’re an ultra nerd and memorize poly counts, this just looks more like a Re-release off the bat. 

Other than that, I’m honestly surprised at the price being a Nintendo 1st party title.  They just don’t seem to have much expectation from the Metroid series anymore.  If MP4 “flops”, I can see it phasing out like F-Zero did..  :(

The more I've seen of it though, the more I want it, but it can wait till the holiday or whenever they'll knock off 5 bucks or something. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12261 on: February 09, 2023, 08:23:07 PM »
Metroid Dread is actually the best selling Metroid so far. Mercury Steam is already rumored to be working on another 2D Metroid aiming for a 2025 release.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #12262 on: February 09, 2023, 08:37:23 PM »
Oh ya, I forgot the ending to Samus Returns references a specific Prime-only design for [a certain villain]. If Samus Returns is canon (which from what Sakamoto seems to think now, Returns has indeed superseded Metroid II) then the Prime games are canon, Q.E.D.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12263 on: February 09, 2023, 08:41:41 PM »
Metroid Prime 1 will probably be better than any Dadstation 5 exclusive this year to boot.

:gurl
Ain't no such thing. It's all cross generation games and remakes for the first, second, third year in a row.
Spud

Tasty

Did somebody say console wars? And drunk posting?
« Reply #12264 on: February 09, 2023, 08:42:29 PM »
Potato's farts will be better than any Dadstation 5 exclusive this year :girlaff

Tasty

« Reply #12265 on: February 09, 2023, 08:44:38 PM »
Metroid Dread is actually the best selling Metroid so far. Mercury Steam is already rumored to be working on another 2D Metroid aiming for a 2025 release.

Hunters 2 :aah

2D Hunters would be fucking awesome holy shit, like a Metroid-controlling Smash
[close]

Himu

« Reply #12266 on: February 09, 2023, 08:44:42 PM »
Lmao Dad station 5

Who Nick named it that? It's :bow

Fucking walking up sims
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #12267 on: February 09, 2023, 08:45:24 PM »
Lmao Dad station 5

Who Nick named it that? It's :bow

Fucking walking up sims

Probably Timu, he was the best at puns around here.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #12268 on: February 09, 2023, 08:50:06 PM »
Hunters > Prime 2
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #12269 on: February 09, 2023, 08:50:45 PM »

Himu

« Reply #12270 on: February 09, 2023, 08:56:52 PM »
never played 2 or 3
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #12271 on: February 09, 2023, 08:58:23 PM »
2 is great, 3 is good, Hunters I couldn't work through the control scheme.  It would be great if that got a remaster along with 2 & 3.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12272 on: February 09, 2023, 09:04:10 PM »
Is hunters the DS one? The demo that came with my system was alright. Need to find my thumb thingy
:O

Tasty

« Reply #12273 on: February 09, 2023, 09:10:32 PM »
Is hunters the DS one? The demo that came with my system was alright. Need to find my thumb thingy

I grokked the controls so it was awesome for me, had pointer controls a good while before MP3. It was basically Metroid Quake. It was the second Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection game and it had features that pretty much every game after lacked. Like, you could add randos to a friends list which I think wasn't possible in any other online Nintendo game until the Wii U era. And it had voice chat! On the DS in 2006. Crazy.

Story mode was ehh compared to consoles but it's a handheld, multiplayer-focused game... the whiners were way too whiny, and we never got any kind of follow-up. :cry

Tasty

« Reply #12274 on: February 09, 2023, 09:15:37 PM »
Actually, that said, the main villain of Prime 4 is apparently one of the hunters from Hunters... My favorite one to play as, in fact... so that's gonna be pretty cool.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12275 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:31 PM »
and we never got any kind of follow-up. :cry

Tasty

« Reply #12276 on: February 09, 2023, 09:21:43 PM »
and we never got any kind of follow-up. :cry
(Image removed from quote.)

This is not Metroid Quake.

I WANT METROID QUAKE

And Sylux and NOT just in a hidden cutscene

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #12277 on: February 09, 2023, 09:40:59 PM »
Hunters > Prime 2

And Prime 3!

Eh, I like 3. Definitely a lesser game than 1, but it was fun.

Federation Forces was definitely a “what the fuck were they thinking?” moment. Just a supremely dull and uninteresting game by every metric. It also somehow managed to both look and control worse than Hunters on much better hardware :notlikethis
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #12278 on: February 09, 2023, 10:44:25 PM »

Ahem, my phone runs in 2k or something.

But yeah I watched all the direct stuff on my phone.

Svejk

« Reply #12279 on: February 10, 2023, 07:55:22 AM »
Speaking of Samus Returns, is it really that difficult to port 3DS games to switch?  Can't they just use a screen toggle with the right stick?  Not just flip between screens, but toggle through various settings like emulators do? e.g. split the screens, adjust sizes between them.  Just seems like another no brainer when it has touch screen capabilities.

Fifstar

« Reply #12280 on: February 10, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »
Speaking of Samus Returns, is it really that difficult to port 3DS games to switch?  Can't they just use a screen toggle with the right stick?  Not just flip between screens, but toggle through various settings like emulators do? e.g. split the screens, adjust sizes between them.  Just seems like another no brainer when it has touch screen capabilities.

Got to leave the 3DS ports for switch 2 :doge
Gulp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12281 on: February 10, 2023, 08:33:27 AM »
Metroid Prime Hunters was ok-ish but overall just a mess.
The same boss repeated maybe 10 times.

The features and graphics were impressive for DS though but the online mode was horribly balanced. They didn't only put in a character that could be invisible, they also equipped it with a one-shot sniper  :lol
And the lag on Nintendo WiFi Connection, holy shit.

Post Metroid Prime the series fell victim to mismanagement. They originally started out with a sequel to Metroid Prime that would take place aboard a spaceship with an out of control AI. That was cancelled in favor of Metroid Prime 2 which was clearly aimed to be more like HALO for the marketing but in the end centered on weird steampunk Darkworld stuff. I think that was Retro's attempt to break it off from the main series.

With Prime 3 Retro had some cool ideas but Nintendo didn't want to take the series in that direction. They wanted to focus on the Wii Remote features as did most first party games at the time.
In truth I don't think Retro's concept would've worked that well anyway, the ship mechanics were kinda lame and focusing a game around that and open-world Mass Effect type exploration wouldn't have worked on Wii hardware.
In the end though Metroid Prime 3 was rather bland, it took inspiration from different games but lacked an identity of its own. Swapping highly detailed environments for plastic and bloom lighting didn't really work either.

It seems that with Samus Returns, Dread and Prime Remastered Nintendo has sort of reverted back to the style of Metroid Prime 1 which I think is the best direction for the series.

🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12282 on: February 10, 2023, 08:33:52 AM »

Got to leave the 3DS ports for switch 2 :doge
For Nintendo Online Expansion Plus Deluxe for $150 a year...   :fbm

Svejk

« Reply #12283 on: February 10, 2023, 08:46:21 AM »
It seems that with Samus Returns, Dread and Prime Remastered Nintendo has sort of reverted back to the style of Metroid Prime 1 which I think is the best direction for the series.
I sure hope so... there just doesn't seem like there's enough of it, when compared to how they churn out pokemons.  As you mentioned before, Retro Studios seems to be mismanaged.. it's sad when they're one of the top western devs, IMO.  Nintendo should give them a indefinite tit before someone like Amazon scoops them and shits all over the talent like they did with Double Helix.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12284 on: February 10, 2023, 09:17:11 AM »
I sure hope so... there just doesn't seem like there's enough of it, when compared to how they churn out pokemons.  As you mentioned before, Retro Studios seems to be mismanaged.. it's sad when they're one of the top western devs, IMO.  Nintendo should give them a indefinite tit before someone like Amazon scoops them and shits all over the talent like they did with Double Helix.
Nintendo already owns Retro Studios. I think they're back on the right track again but it took some time after Tropical Freeze.

Nintendo posted the investors QA, not much of interest except that replacing the Switch doesn't seem to be on their mind yet.
Nintendo Switch is coming up on its seventh year of sales in March, and we see this as uncharted territory in the history of our dedicated video game platforms. Under these circumstances it is hard to imagine that hardware sales will continue to grow at the same pace they have to date. However, there are titles under development for Nintendo Switch, and new titles will continue to be proposed going forward. We are seeing both new demand and multiple system demand for the hardware, so we think there is still room for growth in sales. To that end, we want to maintain a high level of engagement with the hardware and create new demand not only by releasing new titles but also by working further to convey the appeal of existing titles.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12285 on: February 10, 2023, 09:27:01 AM »
Nintendo already owns Retro Studios. I think they're back on the right track again but it took some time after Tropical Freeze.
Oh :derp  I thought they were just closely affiliated, as silly as that sounds...  Just goes to show how much they're utilized.. so less so, it's pretty poor.

Speaking of, I get CreativeHeads emails daily, and lately, Retro has had tons of listings that don't seem to be taken up the past few months.  Either they just haven't found the right people, or they just need more people, or they have some shitty hiring guidelines.  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12286 on: February 10, 2023, 09:32:49 AM »
It's difficult for them to fill up certain roles right now which I imagine is also why MP4 has taken as long as it has.
Nintendo is just not the kind of company like Epic Games that gives you a 100k sign-on bonus.

My brother says the situation is improving though because many people who work on the Marvel CG and stuff are moving to the gaming industry because of the better pay and working conditions.
They just aren't all very experienced in working within the limitations of videogame engines.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12287 on: February 10, 2023, 08:27:28 PM »
the trailers for prime remake and zelda 2 could have been better, but I don't think they care about impressing the hardcore gaming market anymore  ::)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12288 on: February 11, 2023, 06:35:55 AM »

Let them cook
🤴

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12289 on: February 11, 2023, 07:06:50 AM »
Does anyone really need a big gameplay blowout for Tears of the Kingdom at this point? I don't understand who it would even be for. It's a direct sequel to a game that sold 30+ million copies.

The fact we're 3 months away from release and still don't know that much about new gameplay mechanics/locations is pretty novel, at least for a game of this size and popularity.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12290 on: February 11, 2023, 07:57:34 AM »
Does anyone really need a big gameplay blowout for Tears of the Kingdom at this point? I don't understand who it would even be for. It's a direct sequel to a game that sold 30+ million copies.

The fact we're 3 months away from release and still don't know that much about new gameplay mechanics/locations is pretty novel, at least for a game of this size and popularity.
I have a feeling that some way we end up on the Blood Moon for the final battle :lawd

🤴

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12291 on: February 11, 2023, 10:27:15 AM »

Most people who will buy this game don’t know wtf a Nintendo Direct is.
🍆🍆

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12292 on: February 11, 2023, 04:07:57 PM »
Seems like a lot of work has gone into this "remaster".

Potential for 2 and 3 to be significantly overhauled in more than just graphics is high in my book.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:13:10 PM by Potato »
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12293 on: February 11, 2023, 05:05:25 PM »
why can't ocarina of time, majora's mask and twilight princess get the same treatment  ???

imagine all 3 looking this good at 1080p/60fps and 40$

Tasty

« Reply #12294 on: February 11, 2023, 05:18:21 PM »
OoT and MM got even more in-depth remakes than MP1 Remastered, but they were on the 3DS.

Now, if they took *those* and gave them the MP1R treatment... hm...

Also I don't know how Retro's been running their ship since Donkey Kong TF, but I get the impression they were needing some direction. Of course if a company is in a slump and you tell them "Hey we're gonna work on re-releasing that one thing that made everyone really love us," you're gonna get everyone pulling together and really trying to make it the best it can be. There's pride involved, especially if there's still people from MP1's original development leading the pack.

Not sure you can replicate all that for Zelda. WW and TP HD were outsourced west to Tantalus (who like Mercury Steam, had a pretty trash rep before Nintendo started working with them).

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12295 on: February 11, 2023, 05:33:56 PM »
the mm 3DS remake was trash. they made it look and run better, but also changed things for the worse. the interviews from the original devs seemed like they didn't know why people loved it so much. like they hated their own game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12296 on: February 11, 2023, 06:19:19 PM »
MM was a hellish grind for everyone involved and according to the creators that hardship made it into the game.

Miyamoto basically gave them one task: Finish the game in 12 months. When it looked like it couldn't be done and a delay was inevitable Miyamoto instead send in Yoshiaki Koizumi to co-direct and cancelled the game he was working on. Everyone was surprised because Miyamoto told Koizumi that after the 'weird' story in Links Awakening, he never wanted Koizumi near the script of a Zelda game again. The developers put their own complaints about the crunch into the script of the game. The line: "You've met with a terrible fate" was put in at the very end to convey how the team felt when they finished it. The Happy Mask Salesman is actually a portrayal of Miyamoto, he tells the 'developers' that the task should be no problem.

It was never actually explained why Nintendo or rather Miyamoto wanted an OOT sequel in 12 months no matter the cost. Only that they decided never to do it again.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12297 on: February 11, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »
the mm 3DS remake was trash. they made it look and run better, but also changed things for the worse. the interviews from the original devs seemed like they didn't know why people loved it so much. like they hated their own game.
I can understand why they'd hate it.  MM was trash to begin with.
 :betty

Polident Hive

« Reply #12298 on: February 11, 2023, 09:25:55 PM »
I’ve such exceptionally low standards, boosted resolution and frame rate ports of the 3DS and Wii U Zeldas is more than I expect, and I’d buy day one.

Tasty

« Reply #12299 on: February 11, 2023, 09:51:53 PM »
It was never actually explained why Nintendo or rather Miyamoto wanted an OOT sequel in 12 months no matter the cost. Only that they decided never to do it again.

OoT just took so. Fucking. Long. Since gaming was still new, everyone (devs and fans alike) really felt that time. In that light, the drive to ship something good as quickly as possible is pretty understandable. Aim high so even if you fall short you're still closer to your target than if you had no target to begin with. By comparison, Koizumi didn't come charging in to save TWW (he was just one of nine assistant directors) and you can tell in that game's lack of content.