Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933657 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #12360 on: February 19, 2023, 01:58:48 PM »
The Tears of the Kingdom art book has leaked.

I've seen a few pictures, nothing too spoilery thankfully.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:03:29 PM by Nintex »
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12361 on: February 19, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »
I'd have liked spoilers. So far the game looks like a DLC pack. Maybe there's stuff in the artbook that'd make me more exited.

paprikastaude

« Reply #12362 on: February 19, 2023, 03:01:27 PM »
I'd have liked spoilers. So far the game looks like a DLC pack. Maybe there's stuff in the artbook that'd make me more exited.

Still looks like DLC. Some goblins come in different colours now, new outfits for Link.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12363 on: February 21, 2023, 07:36:21 AM »
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12364 on: February 21, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
Man, Super Mario Land 2 is kind of a piece of crap. The gameplay feels off and it's too zoomed in. Wish they put the original on the VC instead.

Bebpo

« Reply #12365 on: February 21, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »
Switch has way too many system updates for a system you're meant to play games in suspend mode as a portable.

I never touch my Switch, but whenever I do for like Xenoblade or Theaterhythm there's constantly updates. Can't make it through a single game for a few weeks without an update or two. Are they just constantly patching vulnerabilities because people keep hacking it?

Polident Hive

« Reply #12366 on: February 21, 2023, 09:33:40 PM »
Man, Super Mario Land 2 is kind of a piece of crap. The gameplay feels off and it's too zoomed in. Wish they put the original on the VC instead.

Beat it for the first time recently, with the DX color hack. Yeah. Not great. Still have the cartridge from when I was a kid. Somehow beat most Mario and Wario Land games, but even back then Mario Land 2 didn’t hold my interest.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12367 on: February 21, 2023, 09:35:31 PM »

Still looks like DLC. Some goblins come in different colours now, new outfits for Link.
Oh, come on...imagine saying this looks like a DLC pack when God of War/Ragnarok exist...

:dunno
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12368 on: February 21, 2023, 09:49:06 PM »
it's the first time since majora's mask that a mainline console zelda didn't change up the art and graphic style from the previous game. game will probably run better, but look mostly the same. the gameplay is where things should step up from the last game, hopefully  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #12369 on: February 21, 2023, 10:09:52 PM »
I haven't seen the spoilers
but Majora's Mask is probably the most unique Zelda game there is. If BoTW2 is as different to BoTW as MM is to OoT, will not feel like an expansion.

But anyhow, the game took a forever to make. Either it's a very meaty unique game, or the game was total piece of shit and they discovered this a few years in and had to scrap the entire thing partway and restart development FF15 style.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12370 on: February 21, 2023, 10:29:46 PM »
They're just sticking with the aesthetic/art style since this is a follow-up game story-wise.  Doesn't mean it won't have a lot of new game play elements.  Age Of Calamity looked the same too but it was a musou.

It's just like how the two Zelda DS games kept the Wind Waker look and took place in the same universe.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:36:14 PM by bork »
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #12371 on: February 21, 2023, 10:52:47 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #12372 on: February 21, 2023, 11:36:24 PM »
There's no question that it'll be better than BOTW.  I think even though BOTW was a great achievement, it still has plenty of questionable aspects that they obviously didn't have time to work around; weapon durability, lack of underwater swimming, the godawful not being able to grab or climb ledges in shrines.  I truly think they're going to address all this in some form or fashion, along with including many more actual dungeons.  It's going to be amazing.. although it does visually look like a large dlc. 

They need to bring Koji back to do some proper tunes though...

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12373 on: February 22, 2023, 02:39:49 AM »
looked up all the spoilers and trailer analysis. I might finally buy a switch to play this  :doge

I wish they made a cheaper version of switch with no portability/no display. wouldn't nintendo be able to make easy money off that?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12374 on: February 22, 2023, 08:14:13 AM »
I wish they made a cheaper version of switch with no portability/no display.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12375 on: February 22, 2023, 09:34:22 AM »
I honestly can't stand that it's the same map. Wish they did Termina in the BOTW artstyle.

The map is one of the gameplay pillars of BOTW. This looks like they just dotted extra content around the map. I can't shake the feeling that it's just overpriced DLC.

Bebpo

« Reply #12376 on: February 22, 2023, 11:19:20 AM »
Wait, it's the same map?

Wtf

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12377 on: February 22, 2023, 11:24:22 AM »
I honestly can't stand that it's the same map. Wish they did Termina in the BOTW artstyle.

The map is one of the gameplay pillars of BOTW. This looks like they just dotted extra content around the map. I can't shake the feeling that it's just overpriced DLC.

For $70, they better be pulling a thing where the old BOTW map is basically tutorial island/plateau and then the game opens up to a world 8x as large
:O

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12378 on: February 22, 2023, 11:26:48 AM »
isn't there some sky shit too? i've not been following too closely tbh.

I was kinda expecting something like Red Dead 2 where you get the original map from 1, and a shit load more.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #12379 on: February 22, 2023, 11:39:57 AM »
I just don't understand five years development if it's mostly the same map.

I feel like designing the open world map is a huge part of dev time.

Bebpo

« Reply #12380 on: February 22, 2023, 11:40:53 AM »

I was kinda expecting something like Red Dead 2 where you get the original map from 1, and a shit load more.

I mean RDR2 is its own map until post-game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12381 on: February 22, 2023, 03:11:06 PM »
I just don't understand five years development if it's mostly the same map.

I feel like designing the open world map is a huge part of dev time.
I don't think they spend 5 years on it actually.
They announced it in 2019 and were supposed to release it 2021/2022 but it moved to 2023.

Apart from the pandemic it seems to have been a matter of development priorities. Monolith Soft helped out on this game and a bunch of other titles and the Zelda team did some side projects too.
Age of Calamity came first, Splatoon 3 next, then Xenoblade 3 and now Tears of the Kingdom. Up next is Pikmin 4.

The game pretty much remained the same from its first reveal to the latest trailer. Fujibayashi knows how to stick to a plan, Aonuma was much different, he would announce Wind Waker 2 and ended up shipping Twilight Princess.
In this case it seems they've just been steadily working on it until they could free up enough resources from other projects for the final stretch. Not having to ship with new hardware or any particular holiday season probably helped with that.

In terms of the map it seems like they poured more resources into creating 'dungeon-like' environments, the sky islands, new enemies, quests, story, cutscenes, bosses etc. . A new map probably would've meant BOTW on a new map, while reusing assets actually means more changes were possible in the other areas of the game. It reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy 2, which was basically a Super Mario Galaxy expansion, but holy fuck was it good.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #12382 on: February 22, 2023, 04:26:02 PM »
:jeanluc

Hard nostalgia for the first Super Mario Land, but that's not a good game. Second one is good and I only fully played it myself a year or two ago. Though tbf, these days I appreciate Mario games with unique concepts more than in the past. Super Paper Mario wasn't for me when it released, but now I can overlook its mistakes. Ever since they turned all the Mario 2D games and spinoffs into the same tired "grass world -> Koopa castle -> desert world -> Koopa castle-> etc." routine, things like SML2 feel all the more refreshing.

Also, gotta be real, Gameboy in general just isn't that great. DK94 is like one of its few legitimately thorough classics.

Polident Hive

« Reply #12383 on: February 22, 2023, 05:21:31 PM »
File size for new Zelda is the largest on Switch yet. About 5 GB larger than BOTW. Read into that as you will.

looked up all the spoilers and trailer analysis. I might finally buy a switch to play this  :doge

I wish they made a cheaper version of switch with no portability/no display. wouldn't nintendo be able to make easy money off that?

Surprised they haven’t done this. Likewise, reading about the Switch OLED I realized my incorrect assumption it always played games in docked mode.

paprikastaude

« Reply #12384 on: February 22, 2023, 05:34:48 PM »
Popped in SML2 for a second and yeah, got no problems with the gameplay :idont There's some of the Gameboy-typical "heaviness"/"slowness" to the jumps, but much reduced compared to something like Wario Land. No problems with visibility either, this isn't like Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12385 on: February 22, 2023, 08:07:35 PM »

I mean RDR2 is its own map until post-game.

You do dip into blackwater during Arthurs part, but I meant just in general of it having the original map there, but having a shit load of new stuff too.
(ice)

Polident Hive

« Reply #12386 on: February 22, 2023, 08:19:44 PM »
As a Ryu Ga Gotoku enthusiast, it’d be hypocritical of me to criticize reusing the same map. Over ten games in Kamurocho  :jeb

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12387 on: February 22, 2023, 10:51:10 PM »
there's an entire underworld to explore along with the sky world. then whatever new stuff they added to the botw map and possibly a twilight realm

Bebpo

« Reply #12388 on: February 23, 2023, 01:06:08 AM »
I think the problem with re-using the BoTW map is that the map is fucking huge and takes a while to traverse the entire thing. Having to go around that all the time again doesn't sound great, but hopefully they pull it off.

I can't really think of any sandbox game that re-uses the same map outside like Saints Row 4 which modifies it into a VR version.

Ryu Ga Gotoku isn't a sandbox game so that doesn't really count. You don't play Zelda games for the story like RGG. And exploration is like the #1 aspect of a Zelda game. This is the first time in Zelda history they're re-using the overworld?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12389 on: February 23, 2023, 03:46:21 AM »
You could argue that location wise Zelda I, Alttp, OOT and TP had the same world updated to modern hardware.

There was also A Link between worlds that used the Alttp map and Ages/Seasons. Four Swords Adventures reused the same Alttp map also.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:51:02 AM by Nintex »
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12390 on: February 23, 2023, 04:13:22 AM »

Hard nostalgia for the first Super Mario Land, but that's not a good game.

It's not nostalgia. I genuinly think Super Mario Land plays better than SML2. It's like opinions can differ. I think SML2 is absolute dogshit.

Svejk

« Reply #12391 on: February 23, 2023, 09:18:31 AM »
I can see TOTK kinda going like the second half of Skies of Arcadia, where the upper and lower levels open up of the main, original map; tripling in size practically.  And basically get rid of most, if not all, the tech demo shrines with actual Zelda-esque dungeons.  That would be the ultimate.   :aah   

And here I go asking too much... It's so hard to not to get hyped for a new Zelda.  Expectations always go through the roof.  :stahp  But what feeds the hype too, is that BOTW is still technically a WiiU game.  If they push the Switch to the level the WiiU was pushed, that can only be a good thing, right?

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12392 on: February 23, 2023, 10:25:03 AM »
Tears of the Kingdom is going to be a banger. People need to relax.

Remember all the hand wringing over the "lack of towns" pre-BotW release?

:lol :lol :lol

Tuckers Law

« Reply #12393 on: February 23, 2023, 12:12:08 PM »
I can see TOTK kinda going like the second half of Skies of Arcadia, where the upper and lower levels open up of the main, original map; tripling in size practically.  And basically get rid of most, if not all, the tech demo shrines with actual Zelda-esque dungeons.  That would be the ultimate.   :aah   

And here I go asking too much... It's so hard to not to get hyped for a new Zelda.  Expectations always go through the roof.  :stahp  But what feeds the hype too, is that BOTW is still technically a WiiU game.  If they push the Switch to the level the WiiU was pushed, that can only be a good thing, right?

:dsp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12394 on: February 23, 2023, 01:53:36 PM »
People are still finding new stuff in BOTW every day
https://twitter.com/CrotonZelda/status/1628824455114903557
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12395 on: February 23, 2023, 11:08:12 PM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #12396 on: February 23, 2023, 11:10:49 PM »
Look, if I can't make people's heads explode, no buy.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12397 on: February 24, 2023, 10:01:48 AM »
I like how Nintendo went and looked at the GB and GBA library and then gave us like 12 games total. Good stuff.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12398 on: February 24, 2023, 01:24:40 PM »
Nintendo is so generous. So gracious. I'm so glad they could resolve the red tape and licensing behind bringing over games published and developed by Nintendo
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12399 on: February 24, 2023, 02:59:59 PM »

I like how Nintendo went and looked at the GB and GBA library and then gave us like 12 games total. Good stuff.
It's kind of strange that Nintendo's handhelds were mostly responsible for their success but they always focus more on their console games in their marketing and with ports, remakes, remasters, sequels etc. .
🤴

Beezy

« Reply #12400 on: February 24, 2023, 04:47:12 PM »
I should order Octopath 2 before the physical version disappears forever like the first game. ::)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #12401 on: February 24, 2023, 08:38:09 PM »
Did that happen with 1? I picked up the PS5 version, but was for sure tempted with the Switch version.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12402 on: February 24, 2023, 10:00:53 PM »
Did that happen with 1? I picked up the PS5 version, but was for sure tempted with the Switch version.

I think the U.S. release is hard to find new now, but EU copies are still available.
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #12403 on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:36 PM »
It's been impossible to find at retail price in the US for like the past 3 years.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12405 on: February 25, 2023, 11:31:19 PM »
I wish they made a cheaper version of switch with no portability/no display.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
[close]
will it run on windows 98 with a voodoo 3dfx card?  :doge

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #12406 on: February 26, 2023, 09:08:37 AM »
Someone please save filler from poverty  :stahp
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12407 on: February 26, 2023, 09:56:29 AM »

What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12408 on: February 27, 2023, 01:46:36 PM »
Them mf'ers at Bandai Namco are really selling Digimon World Next Order for $60 lmao. It's a VITA PORT! I'm pretty sure I bought the PS4 version on sale for $10 like 5 years ago. :lol

https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-World-Next-Order-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0BQ5B8RF9
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12409 on: February 27, 2023, 02:02:25 PM »

This leak was accurate so far.

So new Switch models this winter
🤴

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12410 on: February 27, 2023, 02:02:55 PM »
Them mf'ers at Bandai Namco are really selling Digimon World Next Order for $60 lmao. It's a VITA PORT! I'm pretty sure I bought the PS4 version on sale for $10 like 5 years ago. :lol

Yeah, it's been dirt cheap on PSN.

They need to throw these digimon games more dev money TBH. Hopefully fleecing switch owners gives the next game some more budget.  :jawalrus

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12411 on: February 27, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This leak was accurate so far.

So new Switch models this winter
make it sooner  :stahp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12412 on: February 27, 2023, 07:15:54 PM »

Yeah, it's been dirt cheap on PSN.

They need to throw these digimon games more dev money TBH. Hopefully fleecing switch owners gives the next game some more budget.  :jawalrus
they don't want switch owners new to the series to be introduced to the series at such a low price. they won't value the next game in the series when it comes out :success business is business  :elon
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:21:29 PM by team filler »

BIONIC

« Reply #12413 on: February 27, 2023, 07:22:06 PM »
:miyamoto
Margs

james

« Reply #12414 on: February 28, 2023, 04:13:05 PM »
Wheres Pokemon Lets Go Gold and Silver

james

« Reply #12415 on: March 01, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
The Switch 2 (Known as Switch Go in Japan and Go Switch in the US) will launch March 8, 2024, you heard it here first

However, considerations are being made for 1/3/24 (3/1/24 in US) as part of a fun number based ad campaign led by none other than Dr Kawashima

ONE THREE TWO FOUR
NINTENDO SWITCH
LETS GOOOOOOOO

In addition to a new flagship brain games title, Switch Go will launch with lets go silver/gold, Mario Kart G0, and Go Zelda DLC
[close]

BIONIC

« Reply #12416 on: March 01, 2023, 04:21:34 PM »
Go
bble up deez nuts
[close]
Margs

james

« Reply #12417 on: March 01, 2023, 04:22:34 PM »
Go