Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 942072 times)

Tasty

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #5040 on: June 12, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
I understand it's a matter of priorities, but I disagree with you and Gamefreak that prioritizing other parts of the game are worth losing a core aspect of the franchise.

"Gotta Catch Some of 'Em" just doesn't have the same ring.

Svejk

« Reply #5041 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
Showed my kids BotW2 and LA.  Sounding like I'm gonna have to start shopping for a Switcheroo soon.  :doge Most likely a Black friday deal.

kingv

« Reply #5042 on: June 12, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
So, wait, in the older Pokémon games... one could transfer in Pokémon from an even earlier version of the game that wasn’t available in that one?

So you could transfer in your Koffing from Poke-mans yellow (or whatever)?

Huh, I had no idea they had that kind of backwards compatibility.

My guess is someone went and said “hey we don’t have the time/money to animate every stupid Pokémon that’s ever been in a game with the fidelity needed for the Switch version”.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #5044 on: June 12, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
My guess is someone went and said “hey we don’t have the time/money to animate every stupid Pokémon that’s ever been in a game with the fidelity needed for the Switch version”.

This is like the most successful series ever, they can't not have the money. Just like they should have the money to make something that doesn't look like a low budget JRPG circa 2011. But Gamefreak are lazy fucks, so :yeshrug

Also it's their own fault for repeating the same Gameboy game over and over with nothing new but crappy new animals. Should've maybe changed the formula more instead of just expanding the catalogue, then they wouldn't have that problem.  :doge Like how long do they want to keep going with this approach.

Tasty

« Reply #5045 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »
So, wait, in the older Pokémon games... one could transfer in Pokémon from an even earlier version of the game that wasn’t available in that one?

Correct. Here's how it worked:

Generation 1 (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow) -> Game Boy Link Cable connected to a second Game Boy -> Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

<hard cutoff even though the hardware could have supported it>

Generation 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) -> Pal Park (using the extra Game Boy Advance cartridge slot of the Nintendo DS) -> Generation 4

Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver) -> Poké Transfer (using DS Download Play) -> Generation 5

Generation 5 (Black/White/Black 2/White 2) -> Pokémon Bank

Pokémon Bank -> Generation 6 (X/Y/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire) -> Pokémon Bank

Generation 1 (3DS Virtual Console) -> Pokémon Bank

Generation 2 (3DS Virtual Console) -> Pokémon Bank

Pokémon Bank -> Generation 7 (Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon) -> Pokémon Bank

Pokémon Bank -> Pokémon HOME

Pokémon GO -> Pokémon HOME

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee -> Pokémon HOME

Pokémon HOME (limited selection) -> Generation 8 (Sword/Shield) -> Pokémon HOME

Gold/Silver/Crystal remain the only games in the series that let you trade *back* a generation, but only if it was a Gen 1 Pokémon and didn't hold an item. All further generations were one-way only from older generation to newer generation. I should also note that two-way transferring with Bank is possible for Gens 6 and 7, and two-way transferring with HOME will be possible for Sword/Shield (but not GO or Let's Go, which are one-way.)

Theoretically, someone playing UltraSun could have been battling with Pokemon originally caught in 2002.

It's all been beautiful but clearly a lot of effort, which I've always commended Gamefreak for... With Gen 8 they decided it's suddenly too much and that's highly disappointing for me and a lot of others who have been diligently transferring forward every generation for 15+ years. Sure, they're "around" in Bank/Home, but what's the point of a Pokemon if it's stuck in the box all the time?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:36:27 AM by Tasty Meat »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #5046 on: June 12, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
So like any news about the new Switch SKUs they're supposed to announce?
que

Tasty

« Reply #5047 on: June 12, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »

Only that Nintendo has no hardware announcements at E3 this year.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5048 on: June 12, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »
Own a Switch now.

Got the Mario and bought the Travis Strikes Back game to give Suda a few bucks.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #5049 on: June 12, 2019, 03:39:51 PM »

Nope

And imma continue to hold out on buying one until I get that info
dur

kingv

« Reply #5050 on: June 12, 2019, 04:55:32 PM »

Correct. Here's how it worked:

Generation 1 (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow) -> Game Boy Link Cable connected to a second Game Boy -> Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

<hard cutoff even though the hardware could have supported it>

Generation 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) -> Pal Park (using the extra Game Boy Advance cartridge slot of the Nintendo DS) -> Generation 4

Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver) -> Poké Transfer (using DS Download Play) -> Generation 5

Generation 5 (Black/White/Black 2/White 2) -> Pokémon Bank

Pokémon Bank -> Generation 6 (X/Y/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire) -> Pokémon Bank

Generation 1 (3DS Virtual Console) -> Pokémon Bank

Generation 2 (3DS Virtual Console) -> Pokémon Bank

Pokémon Bank -> Generation 7 (Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon) -> Pokémon Bank

Pokémon Bank -> Pokémon HOME

Pokémon GO -> Pokémon HOME

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee -> Pokémon HOME

Pokémon HOME (limited selection) -> Generation 8 (Sword/Shield) -> Pokémon HOME

Gold/Silver/Crystal remain the only games in the series that let you trade *back* a generation, but only if it was a Gen 1 Pokémon and didn't hold an item. All further generations were one-way only from older generation to newer generation. I should also note that two-way transferring with Bank is possible for Gens 6 and 7, and two-way transferring with HOME will be possible for Sword/Shield (but not GO or Let's Go, which are one-way.)

Theoretically, someone playing UltraSun could have been battling with Pokemon originally caught in 2002.

It's all been beautiful but clearly a lot of effort, which I've always commended Gamefreak for... With Gen 8 they decided it's suddenly too much and that's highly disappointing for me and a lot of others who have been diligently transferring forward every generation for 15+ years. Sure, they're "around" in Bank/Home, but what's the point of a Pokemon if it's stuck in the box all the time?

I wonder if it’s something they will eventually address. I figure “adding all the old poke-mans into the Switch fames” is kind of an incredibly obvious opportunity.

Tasty

« Reply #5051 on: June 12, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
I wonder if it’s something they will eventually address. I figure “adding all the old poke-mans into the Switch fames” is kind of an incredibly obvious opportunity.

From the series producer Masuda it seems like this will be the way they go forward... Each new mainline game will only offer some of the species, with Home acting as the "unified hub" for people who want to preserve their collections. It's just that if those same people want to battle with some of those Pokemon, Gamefreak's telling them to get fucked.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5052 on: June 12, 2019, 05:30:43 PM »
The new Switch rumors that the insiders came up with make no sense anyway.
Some journo's seem to think that Nintendo wants to release a handheld only Switch to save costs etc. .
However, being able to play 'everywhere' is the main selling point of the system. They even highlighted that yet again at E3.
So it doesn't make much sense to release a model without the ability to dock the system or lose the mtion controls (and thus LABO which they're trying to push)

It would make sense to have a sort of Switch Slim at some point (smaller bezels for starters) but a Switch that is not compatible with the Joy Con and/or a dock is probably never going to happen.
The Switch design is also quite iconic and used in a lot of promo materials. Unlike many other Nintendo systems they're focusing on a lot on the blue/red aesthetic of the current model.
At this point the only thing I expect is a souped up "Switch+" model next year, which would be more 'stable' and allow for higher resolutions in a lot of the 'dynamic resolution' games.

For a big change or jump I think Nintendo would rather just do a Switch 2 instead.
🤴

Tasty

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #5054 on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:16 PM »
The new Switch rumors that the insiders came up with make no sense anyway.
Well, like, they always do refinements of their portables and Switch is half that anyway so expecting it eventually makes sense. :trumps
Hi

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5055 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »
Left my switch at work, noooooo evening ruined

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5057 on: June 12, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
Dqiv accents taken to the nth degree
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #5058 on: June 13, 2019, 05:44:04 AM »
Ugh...

Tasty

« Reply #5059 on: June 13, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #5060 on: June 13, 2019, 09:35:27 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5062 on: June 13, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5063 on: June 13, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
Anyone have a list of recommended indie games for this thing? Going through the metacritic list, but some of the more obscure stuff might not have gotten reviews.

Svejk

« Reply #5064 on: June 13, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »

Cripes Almighty, if anything needed a PSVR port, this would be it!   :preach

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5065 on: June 13, 2019, 01:54:04 PM »
Anyone have a list of recommended indie games for this thing? Going through the metacritic list, but some of the more obscure stuff might not have gotten reviews.

There are so many indie games on there that it's hard to keep track.  A lot of stuff is multiplatform though so YMMV.  Some stuff I like or that others recommend:

Fast RMX
Kamiko
Golf Story
Wargroove
Thimbleweed Park
The Mummy Demastered
Flinthook
Lode Runner Legacy
Never Stop Sneakin'
Heart and Slash
Pocket Rumble
Pato Box
Dimension Drive
Owboy
Slime-San
Shantae (Pirate's Curse and 1/2 Genie Hero)
Mercenary Kings
Streets Of Red
Wild Guns Reloaded
Gridd: Retroenhanced
Cursed Castilla
Battle Princess Madelyn
Save Me Mr. Tako
Reverie: Sweet As Edition
Blossom Tales
Blaster Master Zero (1 and 2)
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Azure Striker Gunvolt (1 and 2)
Ape Out
KATANA ZERO
Bomb Chicken
Aragami: Shadow Edition
Iconoclasts
Bot Vice
Retro City Rampage DX
Shakedown Hawaii
Oniken
Odallus
Strikey Sisters
Bloodstained Curse Of The Moon
VA-11 Hall-A
2064: Read Only Memories Integral (has exclusive extra story)
Gato Roboto
The Messenger
Gunlord X
Eternum EX
Minit
Crystal Crisis
Horizon Chase Turbo
Aggelos
Momodora
Rival Megagun
Dead Cells (used to be shit on Switch, was fixed and runs great now)

Also, I haven't seen the greatest of reviews on this, but Fear Effect Sedna is currently on sale for $1.99, lol.

Not indie, but if you want well-emulated versions of various classic older games, check out all the ACA Arcade Archives games from Hamster and the Sega Ages games, done by M2.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:08:05 PM by bork »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5066 on: June 13, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »

It finally has visuals worthy of its soundtrack.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5067 on: June 13, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »
- Sonic Racing
- Saints Row
- Resident Evil Zero
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5068 on: June 13, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
Went with Bloodstained: Castlevania 3 edition and Stardew Valley.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Press dislike button for Nintex*
[close]

Himu

« Reply #5069 on: June 13, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5070 on: June 14, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

:-[

Bebpo

« Reply #5071 on: June 14, 2019, 06:42:50 PM »
Anyone playing Zelda Necrodancer? I played like 40 mins last night and it's pretty cool. Much more accessible for people who don't like rogues all that much and for people who suck at rhythm than I would've expected from Crypt. Feels almost like a real handheld zelda entry.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5072 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
Anyone playing Zelda Necrodancer? I played like 40 mins last night and it's pretty cool. Much more accessible for people who don't like rogues all that much and for people who suck at rhythm than I would've expected from Crypt. Feels almost like a real handheld zelda entry.

Yeah, it's good stuff!  Am fine with the rhythm stuff, but nice to see there's an option for fixed rhythm/timing to make it easier if you have trouble with it.

There really is a very large Zelda influence here to the point where it doesn't just feel like Crypt with a Zelda skin.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5073 on: June 14, 2019, 10:17:35 PM »
This crazy shit is out today:

Didn't know about this game at all.  DAT AESTHETIC :lawd
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5074 on: June 14, 2019, 11:05:12 PM »
It's like somebody made a game based on a vaporwave album cover.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #5075 on: June 14, 2019, 11:09:22 PM »
Aesthetic Bionic Commando where you can't land on anything?
Hi

Bebpo

« Reply #5076 on: June 14, 2019, 11:18:22 PM »

Yeah, it's good stuff!  Am fine with the rhythm stuff, but nice to see there's an option for fixed rhythm/timing to make it easier if you have trouble with it.

There really is a very large Zelda influence here to the point where it doesn't just feel like Crypt with a Zelda skin.

My issue with necrodancer is keeping up with the beat gets tiring after a while. Although I like that it stops once the enemies in the room are dead, don't remember if Necrodancer was like that too. When I got to the first screen where it's like "to open this treasure you have to kill every enemy without taking a hit and you can't miss a beat for like the 2-3 mins it takes" I was like fuck I'm never gonna be able to open these treasures. But then in fixed-beat mode it's not too bad and more a puzzle and doable.

The way the world map works with checkpoints makes it feel more like a zelda arpg adventure than a dungeon crawler. Very enjoyable so far, just worried it might be really short because all the stuff they've added makes progression much easier and quicker than a standard rogue which is built on repetition.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5077 on: June 14, 2019, 11:23:19 PM »
It's like somebody made a game based on a vaporwave album cover.

:phil
ど助平

eleuin

• perennial loser

Tasty

« Reply #5079 on: June 15, 2019, 12:09:40 AM »
Video is harsh but no lies detected. That's the game.

When you cut so many corners your game ends up like Voltorb...

Tasty

« Reply #5080 on: June 15, 2019, 12:12:13 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #5081 on: June 15, 2019, 12:25:45 AM »
Beat the swamp dungeon in Zelda. The overworld is pretty easy but the dungeons are tough and randomized (yay). I do like that the dungeons have checkpoints with Souls style shortcuts. First boss was kind of easy in fixed-beat mode but I imagine in normal beat mode it'd be tough. At Gerudo Desert now and been staying alive since I cleared the first dungeon and have like 500 rupees and lots of good gear. Game definitely gets easier as you get more hearts and damage +1 stuff helps a lot.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5082 on: June 15, 2019, 12:45:56 AM »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5083 on: June 15, 2019, 05:05:09 AM »
Traded in Smash, for 13 bucks Ill get Marvel now :)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5084 on: June 15, 2019, 05:55:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1139294266713206784

This guy just casually drops:

"Astral Chain is a mix between Bayonetta and Nier Automata"

BREH
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #5085 on: June 15, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
Dude's trying to sell the game so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but if the final product lives up to that...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5086 on: June 15, 2019, 09:34:26 AM »
Probably just means the way it plays during action segments.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5087 on: June 15, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
Takahisa Taura was a senior designer on Nier Automata, so he's not necessarily just blowing smoke.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5088 on: June 16, 2019, 05:56:22 AM »

:o
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #5089 on: June 16, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »
Twilight Princess resurgent :rejoice

Come to think of it the trailer whispers did kinda sound like Midna's/Twili language. :thinking

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5090 on: June 16, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
midna :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #5091 on: June 17, 2019, 12:30:31 AM »
midna :lawd

Should have been a playable Smash character since Brawl...

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5092 on: June 17, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
TP was trash tier like I made it 5 hours in max

Tasty

« Reply #5093 on: June 17, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
"Rumour: New Nvidia Shield TV Could Share The Same Chipset As The Upgraded Switch" http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/rumour_new_nvidia_shield_tv_could_share_the_same_chipset_as_the_upgraded_switch

Developers working on the Tegra kernel have told XDA Developers that they believe the refreshed CPU and GPU combo – called "t210b01" at this stage, but still believed to be part of the Tegra X1 family – will boast “better power usage” and a “higher maximum GPU clock”, the latter of which will provide a noticeable boost in performance.

All I need is a GBA-sized Switch with this chipset and HDMI out released before Animal Crossing in March 8)

kingv

« Reply #5094 on: June 17, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
So faster and more power efficient? I never could have guessed they would go that route.

Himu

« Reply #5095 on: June 17, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
How do friends work on Switch? Is it bad like on 3ds/wii?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5096 on: June 17, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »

Yep. Gobal Friend Code (after Wii U ditched them...) however you can import friends from those older systems if they have Switches.

Himu

« Reply #5097 on: June 17, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »

Yep. Gobal Friend Code (after Wii U ditched them...) however you can import friends from those older systems if they have Switches.

Oh.

What's a global friend code?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5098 on: June 17, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
Add me Queen :preach Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Tasty

« Reply #5099 on: June 17, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »

Oh.

What's a global friend code?

Per system account (as in 3DS), not per game (Wii and DS.)