Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 941103 times)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #4980 on: May 21, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Okami has what is obviously meant as a big climactic final boss battle, and then it just keeps going for about as long as it took for you to get to that point. Since it was made by a team that did some Zelda handhelds maybe that's their version of a second quest? :-[
Hi

paprikastaude

« Reply #4981 on: May 21, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
Beat it in like 25 hours during my first playthrough :idont

Chooky

« Reply #4982 on: May 21, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
okami was so massive at release but nowadays it's just a regular length game lol

Tasty

« Reply #4983 on: May 21, 2019, 08:54:11 PM »
okami was so massive at release but nowadays it's just a regular length game lol

:thinking

Tasty

« Reply #4984 on: May 22, 2019, 12:30:06 AM »
Replaying Resident Evil 4 on Switch has made me crave The Evil Within on the system sooooo bad (and the sequel too I guess.)

I keep trying to light bodies on fire with matches and thinking I can upgrade weapons lmaaaoooo.

IMO The Evil Within 1 perfected the RE4 formula… which I already thought was perfect… Haven’t played TEW2 yet but would like the chance to.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4985 on: May 22, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
RE4 feels weird with the Switch pro controller.  Couldn't really get adjusted to any of the control schemes and ended up just making due with the newer "modern" one.  Aiming feels off.  :-\
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4986 on: May 22, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
Yeah something with the camera position or aiming feels slightly off...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4987 on: May 22, 2019, 10:22:24 PM »
Got Team Sonic Racing yesterday but didn't have a lot of time to play it.  Just tried a few races and went through one grand prix.  Controls are fine and just like the previous games, which is good, but it just feels like a lot is missing without all the Sega-themed levels and racers and it just being Sonic and shitty friends racing.   The game looks good -a bit lower-res- and runs at an acceptable 30 FPS.  It's 60 FPS on other platforms.

The game also lost the transforming karts, so you don't get any crazy stages with water and flying sections.  Transformed had some awesome levels and this just seems a bit bland in comparison. 

The team racing aspect is also a little weird.  If you don't help your teammates or do stuff in races "for the team," you could still lose the overall grand prix, even if you hit first in all the levels.  Not sure if I like this, but others online are saying that once you get used to things, it's fun and changes things up a bit.  All I saw when doing races were my AI teammates driving shitty and offering me power-ups every now and then.

On the plus side, there's a decent number of racers and tracks (21, IIRC), and apparently no plans for DLC or microtransactions, so it's complete.  There's car customization options for performance and aesthetics as well.  The game is priced at $40 and my initial impression is that this might be worth checking out for $20-$30.  I feel a bit better about my purchase since an Amazon pre-order savings discount gave it to me for $32. 

That said, I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe shits all over this and Sonic Transformed is a much, much better game.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4988 on: May 22, 2019, 10:47:56 PM »
MK8DX :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #4989 on: May 22, 2019, 10:48:24 PM »
30fps racers :crazy

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4990 on: May 22, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »
Gunlord X also out today:

ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4991 on: May 23, 2019, 12:06:31 AM »
The team racing aspect is also a little weird.  If you don't help your teammates or do stuff in races "for the team," you could still lose the overall grand prix, even if you hit first in all the levels.  Not sure if I like this, but others online are saying that once you get used to things, it's fun and changes things up a bit.  All I saw when doing races were my AI teammates driving shitty and offering me power-ups every now and then.
From what I understand, this is actually how many forms of "real" car racing work. Like NASCAR I think does something like this for their seasons. There's the few prestigious races that everyone pays attention to and gets big TV coverage like Daytona, then there's a whole bunch of other side races where the teams are earning points. These points determine who makes the playoff races where you can win the actual championship. If you were to win every race you won't be eliminated even if your teammates are down in the 30s but if another team goes 3-5-6 say in every race they'll be higher.

But that's played out over something like 40-50 some races in the season. The 4 or so that are standard in kart racing games probably isn't ideal for this.

I'll probably still get the PC version, but on sale definitely.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4992 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »
damn i didnt know Fire Emblem releases in July. finally a new switch game to play.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:01:52 PM by bork »
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4994 on: May 25, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
Trying other characters in Paladins since you need 12 to play ranked. Terminus is pretty cool, maybe op

Tasty

« Reply #4995 on: May 26, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »

RE4 docked mode worse than portable :doge

It's 900p docked :doge :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4996 on: May 26, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4997 on: May 27, 2019, 12:28:47 AM »
 :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4998 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1131562210919104513

Gato Roboto is already up on the J-eShop- grabbed it and gave it a try.  It's very, very Metroid-like.  Not just because it's a Metroidvania, but the aesthetic and game play very much mimic Metroid as well.  Plays nicely, although because it's all black and white, some of the enemies can blend into the environment a bit.  Pretty awesome for eight bucks!
ど助平

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #4999 on: May 30, 2019, 07:39:52 AM »
youtube.com/watch?v=sAbcc2C0r6w

I would be interested in this still if it was half the price
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:24:53 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5000 on: May 30, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
youtube.com/watch?v=sAbcc2C0r6w

I would be interested in this still if it was half the price

It really needed to be $20 at most.  Capcom is just too greedy.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5001 on: May 30, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
I will say that footage of RE Zero looks ridiculous to me (considering what it is.) Like in a good way.

Shame about the loading though...

Tasty

« Reply #5002 on: May 30, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1134093469960609793

:rejoice

I played through the Wii version back in the day, same story and stuff but way different/cartoony graphics. Will be fun to play through the same game but with a realistic (and now updated) style.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5003 on: May 30, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »
*digs up the corpse of a mediocre licensed Ghostbusters game*

"Is this nostalgia?"
 :isthis
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5004 on: May 30, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
its not actually mediocre, it's pretty good. but you do you.
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5005 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:19 AM »
it's basically the only good ghostbusters game :lol

Svejk

« Reply #5006 on: May 30, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
I played the piss outta the SMS version.   Shit was good.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5007 on: May 30, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Not only was it a pretty good game, but they also got pretty much the whole cast back to voice themselves.  It's the real third Ghostbusters movie.

Nintex annihilated.
:ufup

Here's an edited "movie" version:

Yeah, there were a few good GB games over the years- dunno if the SMS version was one of them, though.  :lol  I think that was the David Crane version and it was fun back then, but it's not exactly something that holds up well.  At all.   :doge  The HAL-developed GB2 for Gameboy and Famicom were pretty good, too.  I kinda liked the arcade game as well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 02:10:45 PM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5008 on: May 30, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »
Epic Store claims another victim though.

kingv

« Reply #5009 on: May 30, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »
I’m pretty sure it’s being remastered because of the the new movie coming out in the original timeline at some point in the future.

I think the non-remaster is also delisted from steam. Probably had to renew the license.

Tasty

« Reply #5010 on: May 30, 2019, 08:08:57 PM »
It's also the 35th anniversary. And yeah the non-remaster was delisted in 2017.

Coax

« Reply #5011 on: June 01, 2019, 03:42:56 AM »

Crypt of the NecroDancer x Zelda. I'm trying to think of other games featuring entirely Nintendo characters not developed by a Nintendo studio.

Edit: apparently you can play as the protag of the previous indie title, so not entirely but still.

paprikastaude

« Reply #5012 on: June 01, 2019, 04:54:17 AM »
Should have been the artstyle for that dumb plastic Links Awakening remaster instead. Don't care about rhythm games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #5014 on: June 01, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »

Crypt of the NecroDancer x Zelda. I'm trying to think of other games featuring entirely Nintendo characters not developed by a Nintendo studio.

Edit: apparently you can play as the protag of the previous indie title, so not entirely but still.

Yeah this looks great and it's crazy a small indie developer like this was given the Zelda IP. Someone at the big N must have reallllly liked Necrodancer, which to be fair was really good.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5015 on: June 01, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »
I'm trying to think of other games featuring entirely Nintendo characters not developed by a Nintendo studio.

Mario Is Missing, Mario's Time Machine, Mario Teaches Typing and the Mario's Early Years games were made and published by other developers in the early-mid 90s.  There were those shitty CD-I Hotel Mario and the two Zelda games, too.

While not 100% Nintendo characters, more recently there's the Ubisoft-developed and published Mario + Rabbids and the Starfox stuff in Starlink.

:expert
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #5016 on: June 01, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5017 on: June 02, 2019, 12:33:10 AM »

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5018 on: June 02, 2019, 12:47:13 AM »
Aren't most of the Mario Party games made by Hudson? Of course there is Mario DDR too

Bebpo

« Reply #5019 on: June 02, 2019, 01:10:05 AM »
Eh, I feel like those are all pretty different than this Necrodancer one. Those are big companies like Ubisoft or EA or Hudson or whatever getting the license. No different than Hyrule Warriors with Koei Tecmo.

I can't think of any other time ANY of the big 3 companies have lent out their mascots to an indie developer that's probably like what 3 people in a garage and they've made one game? It's a really cool & positive thing to see and has to be like a huge dream come true for the devs. You can tell they'll be putting 110% into making it good because it's an opportunity of a lifetime for them.

paprikastaude

« Reply #5020 on: June 02, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
Shovelknight got Kratos and Battletoads. e: But nothing from Nintendo, remembered wrong.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5021 on: June 02, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
Yeah there is a difference between giving Ubisoft, Koei or some other major dev with millions of resources a license and a bunch of guys with one indie hit under their belt.

Break of a lifetime maybe.

I havent played Crypt but Ill get this and Im sure there is many many more.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #5022 on: June 05, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »
Pokemon looks  8)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5023 on: June 05, 2019, 02:40:15 PM »
The switch really is perfect for me. Easy to pick up and play a bit before bed or chillin in the yard in my hammock, very satisfied with my ownership

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5024 on: June 05, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
The switch really is perfect for me. Easy to pick up and play a bit before bed or chillin in the yard in my hammock, very satisfied with my ownership

Yup.  It has become my favorite current console.  There's something released almost every week that I'm interested in.  Hard to keep up with how many games it has now.
ど助平

Tasty

kingv

« Reply #5026 on: June 05, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Not only was it a pretty good game, but they also got pretty much the whole cast back to voice themselves.  It's the real third Ghostbusters movie.

Nintex annihilated.
:ufup

Here's an edited "movie" version:

Yeah, there were a few good GB games over the years- dunno if the SMS version was one of them, though.  :lol  I think that was the David Crane version and it was fun back then, but it's not exactly something that holds up well.  At all.   :doge  The HAL-developed GB2 for Gameboy and Famicom were pretty good, too.  I kinda liked the arcade game as well.

Just remembered how awful Bill Murray was in this game. They must have taken his dog hostage or something. He literally wanted to be doing anything else than recording those lines.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5027 on: June 05, 2019, 07:49:06 PM »
Murray put more effort into that game than anything he's done since.

ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5028 on: June 05, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
Can’t wait for that Jim Jarmusch zombie movie tho.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5030 on: June 06, 2019, 09:55:47 PM »

:cornette
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #5031 on: June 08, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
Well somebody pointed me to a flash deal where this was $255 with free shipping so perhaps in a little while I'll have me one of these, or they'll just run off with some of my money. :yeshrug
Hi

Coax

« Reply #5032 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »

Switcher running 540p handheld / 720p docked (source)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #5033 on: June 12, 2019, 12:39:45 AM »
Sound alright  8)

Tasty

« Reply #5034 on: June 12, 2019, 01:41:52 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #5036 on: June 12, 2019, 02:32:31 AM »

:maf :maf :maf

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5038 on: June 12, 2019, 08:42:45 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pok%C3%A9mon-from-pok%C3%AAmon-home-can-be-transferred-to-sword-shield-only-if-in-galar-pok%C3%A9dex.122523

Ugh fuck this!  :maf

Don't know anything about Pokemon- what does this mean?

Sword/Shield won't have battle data for every Pokemon, and only a subset of Pokemon can be transferred from Pokemon Home/other games.

Aside from Let's Go which were dubiously spinoffs, these are the first mainline entries ever to not have battle data for all Pokemon. This mostly just affects the post-game: which Pokemon can show up in the Battle Tower/Frontier/etc., as well as what teams can be made competitively.

tldr: These are the first games since Ruby and Sapphire where "catching them all" is deliberately impossible, and a least those games still had the data for the Pokemon you couldn't actually get.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #5039 on: June 12, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
Theres too many pokemon

why bother balancing and making the effort when you can just limit
dur