Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933634 times)

Occam

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #6480 on: September 12, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »
Those are on other systems. I got Crypt in early access on steam in like 2014.
Not on other handhelds at the time.

Himu

« Reply #6481 on: September 12, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
I don’t see why you think any of us care about this or why it’s relevant to the switch. Switch has more games in one year than vita had in a life time.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6482 on: September 12, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »
vita  :yuck take your trash to the trash thread ::) plz

Himu

« Reply #6483 on: September 12, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »
Shrine trials in BOTW are fantastic. Landed at some place called Thunder Plateau and a voice talked to me all of a sudden. So rad. Adventure! :hyper
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6484 on: September 12, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
I mean I know the comparison is more about form factor. It’s just the Switch has a far more appealing library then the Vita ever could imagine. I don’t even like Nintendo, but things like Astral Chain, Xenoblade 2, Three Houses and so on turn my head more then indie ports ever would. I’ve heard of all those games listed, put probley through their Steam or console release. Portability is just a novelty to me. Something I’ll use in a specific situation. Most of the time I’m gonna play on my tv. So ports don’t get extra points for being portable. I’d need more then that for a system purchase. I’d need actual exclusives that I need the system for. The Swith has already well surpassed the Vita on that front. I love PlayStation. The vita was a complete disappoint beyond the novelty of it being a good place for my PS1 classics and the few exclusives it had at the time, but now mostly have better versions, some of them portable.

The Vita never had a Xenoblade 2. An actual exclusive jrpg with decent production values and ambition. It didn’t have an Astral Chain, a top effort from a marque developer. It sure didn’t have the first party effort like Nintendo which again I don’t care about Smash, Zelda, and so on but Sony’s efforts on the Vita were so 2nd tier outside of Gravity Rush. On no other system would someone throw out eshop indie games as the first example of how awesome the system was.

“Hey man what was great about the PS3”

“Gotta get that The Last Guy man!”

Just got a cool new gaming computer what should I get?”

“Cave story breh”

“Just bought a PS4 what should I get”

“Guccamolle”

No that doesn’t happen.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6485 on: September 12, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
damn, the last guy was pretty great. port to pc/switch when :-\

Himu

« Reply #6486 on: September 12, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
I got cave story for free on release.

Now they charge it like 40 bucks

Edit: just checked. 30.

Fuck off. 30 dollars for an indie game released in 2004.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:23:48 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #6487 on: September 12, 2019, 02:23:37 PM »
was ready to laugh at switch fit, but at first glance it seems better than I thought  :goldberg

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6488 on: September 12, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
was ready to laugh at switch fit, but at first glance it seems better than I thought 

yeah it looks more fun than wii fit.  :esports

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6489 on: September 12, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
Might have already asked this, but recommend me the best rogue likes on switch plz

Streets of Rogue is very good.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6490 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:40 PM »
was ready to laugh at switch fit, but at first glance it seems better than I thought 

yeah it looks more fun than wii fit.  :esports

Well if that isn't damning with faint praise
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6491 on: September 12, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
Is that the Retro Studios game  :isthis
🤴

Occam

« Reply #6492 on: September 12, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
I don’t see why you think any of us care about this or why it’s relevant to the switch. Switch has more games in one year than vita had in a life time.

That is nonsense. Switch did not get 1560 games in one year.

Himu

« Reply #6493 on: September 12, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »
I've never seen a game just keep getting better and better the way Breath of the Wild does. Every region of the game seems to have something unique to it. It's insane. It creates a sense of exploitative glee unlike any sandbox game I've ever played, and I've played a lot of the genre. Just today I've been to like four different regions and they all have their own puzzles/gimmicks/quests and this is within the same region btw. Like the Satori mountains have Mononoke spirit theme going on that randomly pops up, then there's the Thunder Plateau, the ascent to the regional tower, then there's mountains to the west of the thunder plateau where you can find a parrot with an accordion and a blood moon quest. And these are just sub regions within one single region.

Godlike.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #6494 on: September 12, 2019, 03:33:29 PM »
I've never seen a game just keep getting better and better the way Breath of the Wild does. Every region of the game seems to have something unique to it. It's insane. It creates a sense of exploitative glee unlike any sandbox game I've ever played, and I've played a lot of the genre. Just today I've been to like four different regions and they all have their own puzzles/gimmicks/quests and this is within the same region btw. Like the Satori mountains have Mononoke spirit theme going on that randomly pops up, then there's the Thunder Plateau, the ascent to the regional tower, then there's mountains to the west of the thunder plateau where you can find a parrot with an accordion and a blood moon quest. And these are just sub regions within one single region.

Godlike.
Just keep this in mind...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It really is more about the journey...
:beli
[close]
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6495 on: September 12, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »
And of course it was the library that was part of the Vita’s failure. It’s crap. Unappealing to anyone not hovering over the new release section of Playasia.com. So yeah you Bork may find Valkyrie Burst Drive Girls or something a worthwhile release. Anyone not looking for just otaku level shit is screwed.
Sony’s efforts on the Vita were so 2nd tier outside of Gravity Rush.

No- even Sony, who gave up on the system early, still released titles like Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenaries, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots Golf World Invitational, and Freedom Wars.  That's just off the top of my head- if you want SYSTEM WARZ, that's for another thread.  It seems pretty pointless to keep going since you said you don't like ports on portable systems anyway- that is a major draw behind them.  People want to play portable versions of their favorite games and if you don't care about that, then yeah- there's not going to be as much value.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:10:48 PM by bork »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6496 on: September 12, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
I mean I feel like Uncharted and Killzone are shinning examples b tier. Both games are pretty ignored spin-offs not even made by the prime developers of the series. Games outsourced off to Sony’s b level developers. The games are also pretty meh. You might as well have added the Resistance game to your list as well. Why the fuck would anyone list Unit 13 in a list. That’s how bad the Vita support is. It’s like listing Gangs of London for how great the PSP was. Your scrapping the bottom.

And I would actually say that’s not the major draw. Some of the Gameboy and DS families biggest hits were games exclusive and made uniquely for the system. Pokémon is the biggest handheld game and only recently have the main games come to console. PSP’s big hits were things like Monster Hunter and Square Originals like Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, and Type 0.  I’m sure plenty of ports have done well, but I doubt that’s actually a big reason people buy handhelds. They don’t buy handhelds to play games they already have. Probably the reason the PSP tapperd off here in America and why the Vita never went anywhere. Not enough quality original games. Ports and console spin-off entries aren’t that enticing.

And your comment of no value only applies to the Vita. The PSP, 3DS, and now Switch have/had a library of plenty exclusives and not just ports. It’s why I have those systems.

Himu

« Reply #6497 on: September 12, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
Can we stop this?

PSP is one of the best portable systems of all time. Second to none other than the DS and I'd respect anyone who thought it was the best portable overall.

Vita isn't even Game Boy Color tier.

Have some BOTW music.

IYKYK

Chooky

« Reply #6498 on: September 12, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »
in the rankings of consoles and handhelds, vita is sitting one step above wii u. both are some bullshit that underdelivered and had their best software ported to successful systems, leaving them to collect dust and ultimately be nothing more than a footnote.

it's great that you had fun with it but that doesnt mean it was ultimately worth a shit

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6499 on: September 12, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
wheres Bork when you need him, this off topic whining needs to stop  :doge

Occam

« Reply #6500 on: September 12, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
As once again demonstrated here, Vita is a nice litmus test for ignorance.
Vita is one of the best portable systems ever. You get PS1, PSP and Vita, all in one actually portable device that has a long lasting battery.

I paid a compliment to Switch Lite by calling it Vita 2, and half the Nintenyearolds in this thread didn't get it. Shocking.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:13:42 PM by Occam »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6501 on: September 12, 2019, 05:19:26 PM »
I really liked my Vita.  :goty

BisMarckie

« Reply #6502 on: September 12, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
:lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol

:umad

Occam

« Reply #6503 on: September 12, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
I really liked my Vita.  :goty

As did any man or woman of taste.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6504 on: September 12, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
Yeah Vita is excellent hardware with great features. That’s about it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6505 on: September 12, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
*In a alternate universe where the PS3 bombed and never bounced back*

PS3 is great guys. You had exclusives like Valkyria Chronicles, Haze, Lair, and Disgaia 3. Where else can you play Ridge Racer in 1080p? Also PS1 and PS2 games are great.

This is Vita fans.

Occam

« Reply #6506 on: September 12, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
 :snoop

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6507 on: September 12, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »
so is anyone here actually enticed by the switch lite?

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #6508 on: September 12, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »

I was, I'm a broke ass fuck and gonna wait and see how things shake out for it.
OH!

Occam

« Reply #6509 on: September 12, 2019, 06:01:23 PM »
I like the form factor and d-pad, but no TV-out kills it for me.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6510 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »

when they manage to hack it maybe

BisMarckie

« Reply #6511 on: September 12, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »

Nah, I don‘t buy console iterations. I am not exactly a frugal person, but I can‘t justify spending that money on a console I already own.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6512 on: September 12, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »
I wasn't going to get the newer O.G. Switch with improved battery life/thermals, but that Gamestop trade-in deal made it worth it.  Otherwise would have just stuck with the launch model.

This.  And the newer regular Switch model has better battery life anyway.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #6513 on: September 12, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »

Someone here posted about a third-party HDMI cable that acts like a dock. If that works with the Lite it may still be worth looking into, as long as that third-party shit is 100% confirmed not to harm the system...

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6514 on: September 12, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »
I wasn't going to get the newer O.G. Switch with improved battery life/thermals, but that Gamestop trade-in deal made it worth it.  Otherwise would have just stuck with the launch model.

Will they transfer your shit off your old Switch to the new one in store or nah?
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6515 on: September 12, 2019, 08:26:48 PM »
Can you transfer saves beyond having some of them on the Cloud tied to your Nintendo Account?

Tasty

« Reply #6516 on: September 12, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
Two of the board's biggest Nintendo haters inquiring about purchasing an additional Switch? What a time to be alive. :heart

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6517 on: September 12, 2019, 08:34:01 PM »
Oh no I don’t want Switch Lite. Tv Out is the reason I have the system.  A Switch Pro would have been nice though. I just remember when I looked up how to transfer saves it was a bit limited.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6518 on: September 12, 2019, 08:34:30 PM »

Someone here posted about a third-party HDMI cable that acts like a dock. If that works with the Lite it may still be worth looking into, as long as that third-party shit is 100% confirmed not to harm the system...

I thought the speculation here is that the Lite doesn't have the components inside to do video-out?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6519 on: September 12, 2019, 08:37:06 PM »

Will they transfer your shit off your old Switch to the new one in store or nah?

Depends on the store.  They told me since it wasn't busy I could do it if I wanted to, but I opted to just go home instead of hanging out at a Gamestop and then battling traffic.  If you don't have a lot of games and you have an NSO sub, your saves are backed up so you can just go and redownload it all to a new system anyway.

Dunno if that deal is still active, but I think they give $200 for Switches regardless.

Can you transfer saves beyond having some of them on the Cloud tied to your Nintendo Account?

You can either get them back from the cloud or do a system transfer.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6520 on: September 12, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
I love how every tower in BOTW does something different. On one tower you might be surrounded by lightning enemies. On another, you’re surrounded by calamity poison and need to carefully position your climb to not touch it and fall.

Breath of the Wild takes common open world things like repetition and reusing content and makes every single element fresh.

The more you play, the better it gets. The more you delve, the deeper the rabbit hole goes. Most games, especially open world games, peter out the more you play. You start seeing reused this, reused that.

Breath of the Wild is a grower, not a shower. You start out liking it but then it surprises you and turns out it’s 10 inches long when erect.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #6521 on: September 12, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the "it's just the same thing over and over like every open world game" complaints are missing the forest for the literal trees.

Himu

« Reply #6522 on: September 12, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
I guarantee those people haven’t played many open world games.

Like in Assassin’s Creed you have towers too.

But every tower has the same approach. Every tower has the same utility. Every tower has the same challenge. In BOTW towers are looming, towering behomoths and each one has its own challenge. You might find enemies so strong near the tower you simply cannot climb it without being assaulted so you have to think creatively and climb a much higher point and glide down, reaching a point of the tower that lets you climb undetected.

A game like Skyrim reused entire dungeons. Every shrine in BOTW is unique. Let’s not even get into shrine quests.

I’ve not played a sandbox game with as much care since Saints Row 2.

I don’t want to declare anything yet until I finish just like I didn’t want to declare Mario Odyssey the greatest Mario game until I finished but BotW...*wipes brow* you bringing the heat, buddy.

As a Zelda stan AND lapsed open world fan I am very, very satisfied.

What gets me even more are the “THERE’S NO STORY!!!” complaints.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6523 on: September 12, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Two of the board's biggest Nintendo haters inquiring about purchasing an additional Switch? What a time to be alive. :heart

Re-read what I wrote, numbnuts. I'm asking if I can get all the shit from my old Switch transferred to a new one so that I can have new shoddily made joycons turn to shit in 3 months from your precious tendo. Moron.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #6524 on: September 12, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »
I should have used more precise language to imply your purchase of a second Nintendo Switch system was not as an additional Nintendo Switch system to own but rather as a second Nintendo Switch system to transfer to before selling your original Nintendo Switch system back.

Apologies~ :heartbeat

Tasty

« Reply #6525 on: September 12, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
I realized I'm wrong and totally misread but I'm not going to edit my post. :heart

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6526 on: September 12, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »
*grumble grumble*

yar

Tasty

« Reply #6527 on: September 12, 2019, 09:19:15 PM »
I've been meaning to ask if you've been paying for a Nintendo Switch Online membership. Wanna play Smash together? :uguu

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6528 on: September 12, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
1. I got a free year from Twitch, it's not even worth the $20 to me
2. I would never play that sad game
yar

kingv

« Reply #6529 on: September 12, 2019, 10:15:04 PM »
I guarantee those people haven’t played many open world games.

Like in Assassin’s Creed you have towers too.

But every tower has the same approach. Every tower has the same utility. Every tower has the same challenge. In BOTW towers are looming, towering behomoths and each one has its own challenge. You might find enemies so strong near the tower you simply cannot climb it without being assaulted so you have to think creatively and climb a much higher point and glide down, reaching a point of the tower that lets you climb undetected.

A game like Skyrim reused entire dungeons. Every shrine in BOTW is unique. Let’s not even get into shrine quests.

I’ve not played a sandbox game with as much care since Saints Row 2.

I don’t want to declare anything yet until I finish just like I didn’t want to declare Mario Odyssey the greatest Mario game until I finished but BotW...*wipes brow* you bringing the heat, buddy.

As a Zelda stan AND lapsed open world fan I am very, very satisfied.

What gets me even more are the “THERE’S NO STORY!!!” complaints.

1) I told you the game was 🔥. Glad you’re like it!
2) I don’t really get the story complaints either.  None of the Zelda games are worth playing for the story alone. It’s almost always just a reason to go to the next part and provide a little window dressing.

On comparison to other Zelda games, it might actually have the best story.

Himu

« Reply #6530 on: September 12, 2019, 10:22:01 PM »
I don’t think it has a better story than Majora’s Mask but the way it wraps it all up in a mystery where you uncover the world and story bit by bit is great and very reminiscent to Majora’s Mask.

It also has the benefit of not forcing you to wait with a controller on your lap until a blue haired kid finally reaches Ikana canyon so there’s that.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6531 on: September 12, 2019, 10:30:28 PM »
And yeah it really clicked
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #6532 on: September 12, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
botw story is shit lol no two ways about it

and I guess who needs real characters like in MM when you can get... faceless NPCs asking for 10 small fish like in a run off the mill MMO?  :huh
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:39:16 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #6533 on: September 12, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »
Yup. BOTW characters have no personality and definitely don’t all have individual lives. Towns don’t have individual storylines between entire characters and this definitely means it’s bad because it’s not as good and Majora’s Mask!

::)

In case you can’t tell I’m being sarcastic. This game npcs are jam packed with personality. They each have an individual schedule. There are characters with motivations and varying storylines between them. You can interact with characters far more than any prior Zelda. Calling them faceless is lol. The amount of detail put into the npcs, from the guide of Hateno, Paya, the feuding farmers;etc. make you look daft for calling them faceless.

BOTW is a master work of the video game storytelling technique I like to call Japanese minimalism (think Shadows of the Colossus, Dark Souls, even games like SilentHill. It’s specifically, uniquely Japanese).Where there’s few cutscenes and you discover the story through world interaction and exploration rather than being told the story straight. Zelda has always been like this and BOTW may have simply perfected it.
[close]
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #6534 on: September 12, 2019, 10:54:29 PM »
mm portrays unique 3 day routines for every character of which everyone has unique personalities and designs. botw can't even be bothered to change a single thing in the landscape on photos from "100 years ago" - to the point that the trees are still identical. so much for worldbuilding  :doge even if npcs had anything close to what you describe, it's not like there's any reason to find out. they all look the same and just give you uninspired mmo fetch quests, because open world can't compete with real level design. npc events outside of towns start to repeat unnaturally like any other open world game too.

Svejk

« Reply #6535 on: September 12, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »
I just hope BOTW2 makes up for the total lack of dungeons, unique bosses and music.  It was so close to being the perfect Zelda.
Ocarina still claims the 3D Zelda throne imo.
[close]

kingv

« Reply #6536 on: September 12, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
I can see preferring the plot of Majoras Mask. It’s more unique. But it has all the limitations of storytelling from a year 2000 N64 game. Lackluster translation, limited dialogue, and minimal cutscenes. I’m the sense of how the story is told BOTW is imo a pretty big leap... this is based on memory
Though have not played majoras mask since release.

But BOTW did some interesting stuff with Zelda stories too.
BOTW Hyrule feels like it has a rich backstory, but they never really go into detail about it. I thought
That was a nice touch.
I also liked how link had actually lost to Ganon the first time and Zelda had to save his ass. Usually, Link is the reincarnation of the legendary hero who sealed away evil. This time it’s like “oh you actually got bapped so hard you forgot your damn name.”

kingv

« Reply #6537 on: September 12, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
I just hope BOTW2 makes up for the total lack of dungeons, unique bosses and music.  It was so close to being the perfect Zelda.
Ocarina still claims the 3D Zelda throne imo.
[close]

Agreed. A couple of dungeons and it would be the perfect game. Thought it’s still top 5 for me in this gen.

Himu

« Reply #6538 on: September 12, 2019, 11:01:32 PM »
They all look the same? Majora’s Mask has one town and reused Ocarina assets. Who gives a fuck. BOTW has an entire continent while still making characters have storylines and unique personality. Comparing them makes you look ridiculous. Like you’re trying to find something wrong. For the scope, BOTW has lots going on with lots of npcs and yet still manages to exceed every Zelda besides Majora’s and that’s still not good enough for you.

IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #6539 on: September 12, 2019, 11:11:35 PM »
I can see preferring the plot of Majoras Mask. It’s more unique. But it has all the limitations of storytelling from a year 2000 N64 game. Lackluster translation, limited dialogue, and minimal cutscenes. I’m the sense of how the story is told BOTW is imo a pretty big leap... this is based on memory
Though have not played majoras mask since release.

still better than the poorly voice acted cringe cutscenes in botw. :idont ultimately MM has characters and stories you care about, botw has none. mm has tons of things to discover that enriches the world in subtle ways outside of quests (finding secret npc dialogue for example). botw world doesn't make sense at all once you think about it - doesn't feel like a world oppressed for a century at all. plus they didn't know how to tell a story in an unstructured progression, so they blow their entire load in the intro and you don't give a shit about any of the sages or whatever the main goons are. compare also to OoT where you feel bonds even with the sages that have minimal dialogue.

For the scope

that's the problem. open world sucks, everything in prior Zeldas was more rewarding to discover and interact with, because size didn't water the contents down.