Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 946046 times)

Tasty

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #8040 on: April 22, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
Tasty’s right tho, prime games r boring

Boring + backtracking + scan this coffee cup sUcH dEeP lOrE =  :zzz

Hunters actually understands the genre it's in...

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8041 on: April 22, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »
I did really like Hunters
spoiler (click to show/hide)
’ demo
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #8042 on: April 22, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
OK boys, I'm ready.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8043 on: April 22, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »
why the fuck are we even focusing on the prime series like you didn't disrespect super and zero mission, two of the most well designed side-scrolling adventure games ever made
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #8044 on: April 22, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »
Super is OK. I didn't finish it.

Never played Zero Mission.

My favorite 2D Metroid is Fusion. Couple of wonderful little horror trappings. :heart

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8045 on: April 22, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
Loving these hot takes from Tasty, seconded

Himu

« Reply #8046 on: April 22, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »
Should I get Mario maker 2 or NSMBU?? Never played NSMBU
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8047 on: April 22, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
Mario Maker is about to get a pretty slick update — if you think you’re going to enjoy customizing and exploring user submitted stuff, you should get it. Not much of a story or anything, but lots of interesting levels

Himu

« Reply #8048 on: April 22, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »
>Mario

>Story

What kind of degenerate do you think I am?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8049 on: April 22, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
I think you should get something else instead besides those two
fat

Himu

« Reply #8050 on: April 22, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »
Nooooo

But Mario :tocry
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8051 on: April 22, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
get maker and become a streamer

rage out on hard levels

:success brrrrrrrr

Tasty

« Reply #8052 on: April 22, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
NSMBU is legitimately good btw, really good level designs for the most part if you can stomach the NSMB aesthetic. New Super Luigi U is included too which was originally DLC, all the levels are less than a minute but they're surprisingly fun too.

Mario Maker is letting players make full-on 8 world, 40 course "games" and share them with friends. It also comes with a lot of built-in levels by Nintendo. Haven't played them though so can't vouch.

Not sure you could really go wrong with either tbh, but with both being the same price, I will say Mario Maker is a lot more relevant at the moment and the concept of sharing levels with friends is inherently awesome.

paprikastaude

« Reply #8053 on: April 22, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
If you played NSMB on Wii or 3DS or whatever, you already played the U version. One of the least creative Mario games ever - zero ambition. That Mario Maker DLC trailer already has ten times more new ideas than NSMBU in its entirety.  :lol

Himu

« Reply #8054 on: April 22, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »
If you played NSMB on Wii or 3DS or whatever, you already played the U version. One of the least creative Mario games ever - zero ambition. That Mario Maker DLC trailer already has ten times more new ideas than NSMBU in its entirety.  :lol

Why am I getting so many mixed reactions to NSMBU? What I played at the demo kiosk at Best Buy and Gamestop was a big, massive upgrade over the crap that was the original NSMB on DS which was by far and away the worst Mario game I had ever played. Like, the level design was so much better and what I expect from Nintendo.

Others say it's the best 2D Mario since Mario World and possibly SMB3.

And then there's people like you who just call it completely uninspired schlock.

Then I watch this video and wonder if people like you are smoking crack or if the game only has a few stand outs.

I mean, it looks pretty good.
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8055 on: April 22, 2020, 05:48:08 PM »
NSMBU is pretty fun, and even gets decently challenging in later worlds especially if you try to get all star coins.

MM2 has a pretty fun campaign but it’s fairly short, and doesn’t even have in-level collectibles. User levels are extremely hit or miss, but it’s still infinite Mario levels so the gameplay is always nice and tight. If you see yourself creating that’s a pretty no brainer as well.

The correct answer however is to get Tropical Freeze if you never played it. Bosses suck fucking ass, but it’s amazing otherwise.
Margs

Cheddahz

« Reply #8056 on: April 22, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »
I played the first Prime when it came out and thought it was kinda wack tbh

Tasty

« Reply #8057 on: April 22, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
Good: NSMB Wii, NSMB U
Poor: NSMB, NSMB 2

U is easily the best multiplayer platforming-Mario you can do.

Even aside from the multiplayer I felt both console entries had really good level design, good powerups, and a lot of content. Can't really go wrong. U Deluxe is definitely the better package than NSMB Wii IMO, Luigi U is solid on its own.

Himu

« Reply #8058 on: April 22, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
NSMBU is pretty fun, and even gets decently challenging in later worlds especially if you try to get all star coins.

MM2 has a pretty fun campaign but it’s fairly short, and doesn’t even have in-level collectibles. User levels are extremely hit or miss, but it’s still infinite Mario levels so the gameplay is always nice and tight. If you see yourself creating that’s a pretty no brainer as well.

The correct answer however is to get Tropical Freeze if you never played it. Bosses suck fucking ass, but it’s amazing otherwise.

I was going to get NSMU 2 and then Tropical Freeze :o
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #8059 on: April 22, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »

Why am I getting so many mixed reactions to NSMBU? What I played at the demo kiosk at Best Buy and Gamestop was a big, massive upgrade over the crap that was the original NSMB on DS which was by far and away the worst Mario game I had ever played. Like, the level design was so much better and what I expect from Nintendo.

And then there's people like you who just call it completely uninspired schlock.

Then I watch this video and wonder if people like you are smoking crack or if the game only has a few stand outs.

DS was shit. New Mario Wii was a huge upgrade and then 3DS and WiiU were almost the same identical game souped up. If you didn't have Wii it doesn't matter, but you only need a single one of the sequels if at all.

Over the course of multiple games they didn't even change the horrendous soundtrack. In some interview for the 3DS one they were padding themselves on the shoulder for making a single new enemy. This entire subseries is soulless cash grabs, but you can play one of the console versions at least.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:18:04 PM by Spieler1 »

Beezy

« Reply #8060 on: April 22, 2020, 10:56:36 PM »
Decided to go back to some of my older Switch games that I didn't put much time into. Do I just suck or is ARMS a hard game? Maybe I should give up on the motion controls because the CPU is kicking my ass.

bluemax

« Reply #8061 on: April 22, 2020, 11:27:51 PM »
The Prime's are great.  MP1 >>> MP3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MP2.   Still, all 3 worth playing.

I never finished MP3 for the same reason I never finished Skyward Sword. The waggle just took away from it.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8062 on: April 22, 2020, 11:47:18 PM »
Get Mario Maker 2.  There's an endless amount of content available for it and multiple play styles with the game types and power-ups now. 

Decided to go back to some of my older Switch games that I didn't put much time into. Do I just suck or is ARMS a hard game? Maybe I should give up on the motion controls because the CPU is kicking my ass.

Motion controls  :yuck  Use the regular controls.  Might need to change some buttons around and then you'll be kicking the game's ass.  Been a while since I really got into ARMS, but you need to make sure you're charging up!

Also look up each character's attributes.  I went with Twintelle, because dat ass she  can charge up in the air, cancel out of air charges and dash in any direction, and slow down time.

It was a really fun and original game.  Hope a sequel gets made.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:48:17 AM by bork »
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #8063 on: April 23, 2020, 12:12:44 AM »
I've also been using Helix who I'm just finding out is considered to be a more advance character. Thanks, no more motion controls for me.

Fifstar

« Reply #8064 on: April 23, 2020, 03:01:07 AM »

Game has great level design but the art and sound design is more than played out.

Calling it the best mario game - if you only care for level design maybe, but it's certainly not anywhere on the general level of originality and creativity gameplay-wise that games like SMB3/World had. Or Odyssey if you want a more modern point of comparison.

So both are true depending on your pov. If you just want a great to play oldschool Mario - go for it. But if you're expecting new twists on the formula (something Nintendo is usually great at) you're going to be disappointed.
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8065 on: April 23, 2020, 08:18:31 AM »
Umihara Kawase Bazooka demo is up on the J-eShop- runs in English.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #8066 on: April 23, 2020, 08:24:21 AM »

Which unihara kawase tho
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8067 on: April 23, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »

Which unihara kawase tho

:confused

Bazooka, the newest game.
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #8068 on: April 23, 2020, 10:25:40 AM »
Level design in NSMBU and NSLU are tops, definitely worth it if you care about that in your Mario games.  Mario Maker is great too for its variety and quantity of levels, and of course being able to build your own levels can be a blast too.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8069 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:38 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #8070 on: April 23, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
:o

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8071 on: April 23, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
    – HD Rumble
    – 60FPS is added
    – Input lag reduced/rotation improved
    – Gyro controls
    – Sound effects are reworked
    – Several face button to fire/lock
    – Auto lock system as an option
    – Episode 0 added
    – New game mode (performance?)
    – New gameplay options
    – New cheat codes
    – Options accessible from pause menu
    – Dragon animation reworked
    – Game language based on console language at first launch
    – Secret menu called Pandora Box in Remake now accessible once the game is beaten regardless of difficulty

Nintendo is currently validating Panzer Dragoon: Remake’s new patch. However, there’s now word currently on a release date.
ど助平

Cheddahz

« Reply #8072 on: April 23, 2020, 03:44:05 PM »
My left Joycon (new model) started drifting today

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8073 on: April 24, 2020, 07:06:58 AM »
IGN did an oopsy

To celebrate Mario's 35th Anniversary (and presumably keep profits rolling in through Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 launch seasons), Nintendo has announced a slew of Super Mario ports, remasters, remakes, and even a new Paper Mario title, all rolling out in the not-too-distant future. The mushroom kingdom rejoices! And Brian Altano and Michael Swaim have a chat about ways the upcoming remakes can stand as meaningful new gaming experiences without detracting from the sterling legacy of their source material.

:preach :preach :preach :preach
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8074 on: April 24, 2020, 07:08:10 AM »
IGN :stahp SPOILING MY NINTENDO DIRECTS :crybaby

:shaking
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #8075 on: April 24, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »

Which unihara kawase tho

Not sure why the confusion. For the longest time Unihara Kawase games were usually just ports.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #8076 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:16 AM »
IGN :stahp SPOILING MY NINTENDO DIRECTS :crybaby

:shaking

Honestly waiting this long between Directs, they were asking for it this time. :trumps

(And it was already the longest stretch before COVID, so that line's bullshit.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8077 on: April 24, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »

Which unihara kawase tho

Not sure why the confusion. For the longest time Unihara Kawase games were usually just ports.

Umihara Kawase Fresh, the last game, was a new title too. 

Anyway, it's a departure from the norm and is multiplayer-focused.  Not sure what to think about it.  The first level was kind of boring since all you do is just take out waves of enemies on a small playing field.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:55:21 AM by bork »
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #8078 on: April 24, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
Was Fresh any good? The last Umihara game I bought was Sayonara, for Vita.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8079 on: April 24, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »
Was Fresh any good? The last Umihara game I bought was Sayonara, for Vita.

Fresh is worth checking if you like this series.  Pretty much more of the same, but solid.  I think it has or is about to be released for PS4, too.
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #8080 on: April 24, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »
I'm currently buying only Switch versions of multiplats. It's just so convenient.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8081 on: April 24, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
Considering how guarded Nintendo is about pretty much everything it's kinda of surprising how much of this Mario stuff has leaked out there.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #8082 on: April 24, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »
Some of the really big stuff like this has tended to leak in WSJ or Nikkei for the last couple years. (And of course usually shows up on 4chan some hours before the story is published, giving the site their coveted 1-2% rumor/leak accuracy.)

Beezy

« Reply #8083 on: April 24, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
Trials of Mana got delivered today. I thought about switching to PS4 or PC since I'm home all day right now anyway, but I'll just double dip in the future when the price drops.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #8085 on: April 26, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »
I feel like I've heard of other glitches exactly like that, where parts of a sprite are incorrect (or specifically, incorrectly referenced from another sprite.) But then the sprite as shipped becomes the "popular" one in gaming consciousness.

Wish I could remember the other example I'm trying to think of...

Edit- Recently someone "fixed" the smoke in Mario 64, that might be it: https://kotaku.com/super-mario-64s-glitchy-smoke-has-been-fixed-after-24-y-1842714470

It's fun Mario Maker "fixed" it. But I honestly prefer the original sprite, its more "basic" nature matches the SMW aesthetic.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8086 on: April 28, 2020, 07:37:54 AM »
Indivisible finally came out on Switch- Priced at $24 for launch. 

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/indivisible-switch/

The physical copy I pre-ordered from Target last year was $15, lol.  But the physical version is still in limbo and might be released in June.

Trials of Mana got delivered today. I thought about switching to PS4 or PC since I'm home all day right now anyway, but I'll just double dip in the future when the price drops.

This game is a lot of fun!  I should be playing FFVII...but I keep going back to this instead.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8087 on: April 28, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:03:46 AM by bork »
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8088 on: April 28, 2020, 10:45:50 AM »
Haha dude is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ incarnate.
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8089 on: April 28, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
too bad the game is :zzz

Occam

« Reply #8090 on: April 29, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »
Looks like someone released it too early- the Lab Zero folks didn't even know it was out.  :lol

https://twitter.com/MikeZSez/status/1255065721588944896
https://twitter.com/MikeZSez/status/1255065722687860736
https://twitter.com/MikeZSez/status/1255067444093173760

That reminds me, I helped kickstart Indivisible. Not sure if the physical copies have been distributed already; I don't think I have received one.

Edit: Seems they have, but I never got a shipping notification. Gonna have to contact the people in charge.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:30:40 PM by Occam »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8091 on: April 29, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8092 on: April 29, 2020, 07:57:40 PM »
I heard Indivisible wasn't too great, and the battle system doesn't really keep your interest like the VP series. That's a shame, VP's gameplay was so awesome that I even forced myself through Exist Archive (the most repetitive game ever).
^_^

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #8093 on: April 29, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »

Original is 50% off too, time to play it again :rejoice
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8094 on: April 29, 2020, 09:14:08 PM »
I heard Indivisible wasn't too great, and the battle system doesn't really keep your interest like the VP series. That's a shame, VP's gameplay was so awesome that I even forced myself through Exist Archive (the most repetitive game ever).

I see mostly positive reviews for it.  Been waiting for the Switch port to play the game.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8095 on: April 29, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
i played it on gamepass and found it just to be a pretty boring VP clone but maybe i'm missing something

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8096 on: April 29, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »
I got all achievements and the game is not that interesting or good. Don't believe the reviews
fat

Occam

« Reply #8097 on: April 30, 2020, 05:13:08 AM »
Too bad.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8098 on: April 30, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
was kinda expected. skullgirls was a lackluster fg that just promoted how good its animation was...that's always a bad sign. the promotion for this seemed to just be "there's a lot of characters" which ironically is something skullgirls would have benefited from.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8099 on: April 30, 2020, 09:12:39 AM »
dog