Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 934020 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #11400 on: June 28, 2022, 02:23:30 PM »

Switch / PS4 and Steam(deck)
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11401 on: June 28, 2022, 06:34:58 PM »
They could easily put something decent out if they gave it to a good port studio and don't cheap out on it (thats why I assumed streaming).

The Witcher 3 and Doom ports are supposed to be shockingly good on Switch.

They are really good ports and Doom was further patched to run even better.  My guess is Nier will be 30 FPS.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #11402 on: June 28, 2022, 08:01:55 PM »
I've not touched either personally but the DF dudes always bring them up as what can be done when some shoddy product is shit out on switch.
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11404 on: June 29, 2022, 08:59:24 AM »
From what they have said about a possible Switch follow up it seems like they're still working on the concept and specs.

This is true but I think they're being cagey as Nintendo is wont to do. They've always gone into prepro on a new system shortly after the current one launches, so they have 6.5 years of R&D under their belt (during the splurgiest R&D period in Nintendo's history). I think the system is far enough along in terms of design (possibly explaining some of the leaks) but Nintendo is probably apoplectic over the current state of getting chips, so they're not going to charge in guns blazing when they know they're low on bullets.

Conspiracy theories say Nintendo intentionally limited the initial stock for Wii but I don't think that was ever true. I think they were legitimately caught off-guard by the insane popularity coming off the GameCube, and I think that memory still lingers in the current executives' minds.

Right now they're probably selecting which specific CPU/GPU to use, and I'd expect that to be all that's left to do at this point aside from stuff that comes later like services and software. And seeing how they publicly dumped Nvidia mid-development for the 3DS's GPU, it seems like Nintendo knows how to swap similar chips while still achieving their desired end-product.
:hesright

This.  They don't need to hurry up with a new system.  My prediction is that next year we'll get yet-another round of "SWITCH PRO IS COMING!!!!" rumors, but there won't be anything new until 2024 at the earliest. 

I assume they will continue with the portable+dock thing with their next system and that it will be backwards-compatible.

This is spot on. They didn’t need to do a Switch Pro, which is why they didn’t. Maybe when the Switch stops flying off the shelves will they consider the next Switch. Also other generations used to be long: the 360 was out for eight years before the Xbone came out. 2025 definitely seems like a possibility here. Most people think the games look just fine, it’s no longer a dramatic jump from generation to generation, especially as people still have 720p and 1080p TVs along with those who never dock it. Switch is doing just fine currently.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #11405 on: June 29, 2022, 07:02:19 PM »
The Switch is still putting out great looking games. Maybe not with the fanciest tech but Kirby and Xeno 3 look gud.

And if you don't have a 4K TV (less than half of US households have even one), and if you factor in half the Switch's appeal is portable-mode anyways... Yeah, I never got the "Switch is super underpowered we NEED Switch Pro/2 NOW!!!!11" comments.

But I'm just a dumb Nintenerd so whaddiknow :nintendo

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11406 on: June 29, 2022, 09:33:57 PM »
I have to admit I'm a little shocked the switch isn't starting to get long in the tooth yet

but that recent direct video proved that tons of great games are still being made for it, with good-to-great visuals, and drove the internet into a frenzy over all the good stuff

they really don't need a hardware refresh yet :idont

although I have my steam deck so the personas are going on that :snob
Uncle

Bebpo

« Reply #11407 on: June 30, 2022, 04:33:59 AM »
Eh, I can't play Switch on a TV anymore at this point. Just too low res, bad IQ and tons of games have terrible framerates.

As a portable it's fine outside the poor framerates.

Emulator really is the best way to play Switch, like SMTV at 60fps, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to set that up.

Switch 2 would help a lot.

Bebpo

« Reply #11408 on: June 30, 2022, 04:35:38 AM »
Also tried the Live-A-Live demo and it seems kind of slow & clunky.

Was expecting something more like Saga Frontier Switch, but it's more like Bravely Default 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #11409 on: June 30, 2022, 11:34:16 AM »
Was reading that Live-A-Live suffers from the same issues as SE's Octopath and BD2 where they are 30fps with major input lag and feel sluggish. Sounds like Triangle Strategy might have that issue too, but I never tried that one. Basically Square Enix + Unreal Engine + Switch = clunky muddy feel. The good news is that on PC Octopath & BD2 were "fixed" and feel responsive and smooth at 60fps. Guess I'll skip Live-A-Live and grab it on PC in a year or two when I can run a speedhack on it as well. Also reminds me that Triangle Strategy is next up for PC port. Forgot about that game. I got burned buying Octopath & BD2 & SMTV before the better PC versions.

Trying to learn my lesson now of not buying 3rd party struggling to run correctly stuff on Switch and waiting for the later PC port. Didn't buy No More Heroes 3, Deadly Premonition 2, or Triangle Strategy so far, so that's a start.

archnemesis

« Reply #11410 on: June 30, 2022, 11:46:52 AM »
I played all three of those on Switch (in handheld mode) and the input lag didn't bother me at all. I'm less sensitive to input lag in turn-based RPGs compared to real-time genres.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #11411 on: June 30, 2022, 12:15:59 PM »
Xenoblade 3, Pokemon, Bayonetta, and probably some surprise third-party stuff sounds pretty great to me.

Who's asking for a new Switch? Honestly. Software and hardware sales seem very strong. Other than enthusiasts who care about things that the majority don't, I don't see people crying out for a new Switch.

Honestly, these new consoles could have waited till 2023 to launch if you want to know my real opinion.

I look at XB3 and it looks perfectly fine to me. Could it be better? Sure, but like Im going to enjoy it perfectly fine on the old Switch hardware.

To me this isn't the 3DS where it looked ugly in it's own space. Vita, iphone, and so on were pushing out visuals and tech beyond what the 3DS seemed to do. Whereas to me the Switch is putting perfectly fine-looking games and there's nothing on the next gen systems that has truly blown me away and won't until 2023.

The most popular game on the planet, a minecraft, runs badly on switch.

And yet those kids don't give a fuck.

I do

:fbm
:O

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11412 on: July 03, 2022, 02:16:48 PM »
Eh, I can't play Switch on a TV anymore at this point. Just too low res, bad IQ and tons of games have terrible framerates.

Obligatory "Get an mClassic" response
:bolo
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11414 on: July 06, 2022, 03:08:06 PM »
:dead

Every.  Fucking.  Time.

:neogaf
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11415 on: July 06, 2022, 03:51:24 PM »
Nintendo’s unintentional troll game is super on point here.  This is some SE “announcing ports of original FF7 pre-remake announcement” levels of trolling.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11416 on: July 06, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #11417 on: July 06, 2022, 04:37:17 PM »
Gaming journalists continue to have the same level of reliability as football transfer insiders.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11418 on: July 06, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »
Nintendo won't announce a 'new' system unless they tell us that they're going to announce a new system first.

I don't understand why these clowns think they will just randomly drop it.  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #11419 on: July 06, 2022, 07:04:54 PM »
:dead

Every.  Fucking.  Time.

:neogaf

Let's point and laugh!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

« Reply #11421 on: July 07, 2022, 02:33:52 PM »
Create Pilotwings rumors you cowards

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #11422 on: July 07, 2022, 06:19:49 PM »
Spud

Beezy

« Reply #11423 on: July 13, 2022, 09:54:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1547209239726149632

The fact that we haven't seen the game in forever worries me, but I've had it preordered from amazon for $47.50 for over 3 years now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11424 on: July 13, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »
Nintendo.com is going down for a week when this hits. :lawd
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #11425 on: July 13, 2022, 10:46:53 AM »
I can't tell if game LE's being crazy scarce lately is because scalpers are just outta control or if it's just a Nintendo fans being Nintendo fans thing. Seems to only really affect Switch LEs like Metroid Dread/XB3.

In general I think these LE's are pretty ugly and a waste of money, but I do have the LE's for Xenoblade 1/Xenoblade X/Xenoblade 2 so I probably would've got the XB3 one just to add to the collection if it wasn't crazy sold out each time it went up. But after XB2 I'm almost out on the franchise anyhow so don't care too much.

Tasty

« Reply #11426 on: July 13, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
I don't get LEs being an NoE only thing. :maf

Rahxephon91

« Reply #11427 on: July 13, 2022, 03:33:11 PM »
I don’t understand why they don’t just have open preorders, especially in XB3’s case. Or at least other retailers like usual. Really kind of pissed me off as I’d like to have 3’s as I have the others. Nintendo is garbage when it comes to this.

Beezy

« Reply #11428 on: July 13, 2022, 04:33:46 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11429 on: July 13, 2022, 05:28:36 PM »
I don’t understand why they don’t just have open preorders, especially in XB3’s case. Or at least other retailers like usual. Really kind of pissed me off as I’d like to have 3’s as I have the others. Nintendo is garbage when it comes to this.
It doesn't seem to be available anywhere in the Netherlands.
It was supposed to go up in the Nintendo store by the end of June but nothing happened.

In fact, the MyNintendo Store on the Dutch site has been unavailable in "maintenance mode" for weeks now.

My guess is they will do a "relaunch" of this LE in Europe of sorts by the end of the year.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #11430 on: July 13, 2022, 05:53:44 PM »
The Nintendo Store LEs just seem like the usual fake Nintendo forced scarcity stuff.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11431 on: July 13, 2022, 07:03:23 PM »

Because NOA is traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11433 on: July 13, 2022, 09:32:23 PM »

It's really annoying, and also can be baffling at times.  Like, why did Bayonetta Climax Edition in Europe NOT include the physical Bayonetta 1 when it was included with the Japanese version...and they were priced the same!
:mindblown

I see that Nintendo has announced Bayonetta 1 will be getting a "limited run" in English, along with a SE for Bayonetta 3.  But it seems to indicate that this time, they will be selling offering these through other retailers and not just through the awful Nintendo online shop.
:rejoice
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #11434 on: July 14, 2022, 07:17:00 PM »
I consider this the official Nintendo thread so Imma post Ninty news here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Hollywood Reporter: "Nintendo Buys CG Studio to Turbocharge IP-Based Production"

The company has agreed to acquire the visual content company Dynamo Pictures Inc. and rebrand it with "focus on development of visual content utilizing Nintendo IP," the company says.

Pretty rare a company gets the Retro treatment, and even rarer it's a non-gaming company.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11435 on: July 14, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
Can't wait for that Peach & Rosalina visual novel.

Tasty

« Reply #11436 on: July 14, 2022, 07:20:23 PM »
Can't wait for that Peach & Rosalina visual novel.

Ngl Rosalina's Storybook would make an amazing Pixar-esque short before the Mario movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11437 on: July 18, 2022, 08:43:12 AM »
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1549004066767998977

You can now sign up for the mailing list.

This is one way to avoid scalpers  :lol
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11438 on: July 18, 2022, 10:34:43 PM »
Meanwhile, I went to Best Buy's website today and had no trouble pre-ordering the Bayonetta 3 special edition.  That's how it should be done.
ど助平

james

« Reply #11439 on: July 19, 2022, 09:49:30 PM »
My uncle at Nintendo says the next batch of Mario Kart tracks will be announced tomorrow

james

« Reply #11440 on: July 20, 2022, 02:04:38 PM »
My uncle lied :(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11441 on: July 20, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »
My uncle lied :(

:iface

The guy who allegedly first "leaked" this deleted his Twitter account earlier today.  :brain
ど助平

james

« Reply #11442 on: July 20, 2022, 03:22:33 PM »
Gonna create a new twitter account account and leak that they will be announced next week

If Im right I get fame fortune and cred.

If Im wrong I delete and repeat

Win win win

Tasty

« Reply #11443 on: July 20, 2022, 04:01:12 PM »

james

« Reply #11444 on: July 21, 2022, 10:32:39 AM »
I just want more mario kart tracks

:fbm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11445 on: July 21, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »

Looks fantastic  :whoo
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #11446 on: July 21, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »
Looks cool, just a shame its not on any other platforms.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #11447 on: July 21, 2022, 03:59:33 PM »

Looks fantastic  :whoo

Did you try the demo?

I thought it was pretty meh. The original game from what I understand is real quality so the game is still real quality, but the remake aspect is incredibly budget and half-assed. Yeah they spritzed up the graphics a bit with 3d layers, but the gameplay seems almost identical with no quality of life improvements in 30 years and the new UI is sluggish and sucks (and the base game has input lag and feel sluggish 30fps).

If/When they port it to PC and can mod it and run cheat engine to boost game speed to 150% or something I'll play it. Just seems like even playing the original on an emulator which has speed fast-forward and stuff would be a better alternative honestly.

paprikastaude

« Reply #11448 on: July 21, 2022, 05:10:28 PM »
Yeah, demo sucked. Lost interest

Bebpo

« Reply #11449 on: July 21, 2022, 06:06:22 PM »
It's so weird to me how the remasters at the same company constantly have totally different quality of life stuff.

like FF Pixel Remasters, SaGa Frontier remaster, Legend of Mana remaster, CC remaster, Live-A-Live Remaster all have completely different feature sets. Like wtf Square, can't you just come up with a set of modern quality of life improvements and then at minimum stick them in every game?

Like FF Pixel Remasters have at least a fast-forward button in battle, auto-battle? (plus being on PC you can speed it up further, but that's besides the point), SaGa Frontier had like FOUR levels of Fast-forward going from 1.5x -> 10x speed in battle and I think you could enable it on the map too (don't remember but you could run pretty fast across the map), also both had pretty speedy interfaces.

Didn't play enough of Legend of Mana to comment on it and didn't play the CC remaster. Live-A-Live's battles and repeat animations are a bit slow so it really could have used a fast-forward button in battle at least.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11450 on: July 21, 2022, 06:34:56 PM »

:oreilly :dayum :brazilcry :what :cac :crazy :donot

:expert
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11451 on: July 22, 2022, 12:29:58 AM »
Looks cool, just a shame its not on any other platforms.

Will be on GamePass like Octopath soon enough
fat

« Reply #11452 on: July 22, 2022, 02:04:43 AM »
1 more week until xenoblade girlies. but it doesn't let you download it early  :maf

Rahxephon91

« Reply #11453 on: July 23, 2022, 01:25:13 PM »
I'm thinking about skipping Xenoblade 3. I really hate XB2 and I just don't get it and it's really becoming apparent that 3 is more of the same. I guess I'm just a boomer now? Like I've never been this confused by the dissonance of my opinion and the general consensus regarding media. And I really like Xenoblade 1. I like everything else with the Xeno name. It's just something is so off putting about 2.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11454 on: July 23, 2022, 06:38:11 PM »
Xeno 2 is a bit hit and miss but more miss for me than hit overall. The poor pacing, gatcha mechanics and mediocre performance are my biggest issues.
I can see why people like it though.

From all I've seen Xeno 3 seems more of a course correction back to Xenoblade 1 or rather Xenoblade DE and I'm all for that.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #11455 on: July 23, 2022, 07:10:08 PM »
I haven't watched any of the media because I'll give it a shot regardless.

XB2 had some good stuff (big worlds to explore, some cool cutscenes, good music), but the field skills, gacha blades and their sidequests unlocked by a shitton of grinding, and the combat system which I just straight out did not like with the elemental orb combos (the up/down smash stuff from XB1 was fine) where you did like nothing damage on bosses until you get combo multiplier x 20 and then you do some real damage and then you do minimal damage repeat and fights fucking drag.

XB2 just felt like it was grinding based and tedious everything. Didn't help the story was so-so and the characters were forgettable so it just had the exploration and music to make up for it. I think I disliked the main cast in XB2 more than almost any jrpg. There wasn't one character I liked on your team. Shin was the only decent character in the game.

XB1 wasn't tedious unless you were building up settlements (which was optional), the battle system was simpler but way quicker and more satisfying, the exploration fields were even better and the story and cast run circles around XB2.

Would be good if XB3 moves away from the grind. Also would be good if it has a better story and an actually good cast. Xenogames never had problems with having interesting casts until XBX and XB2. Dunno what happened.

« Reply #11456 on: July 24, 2022, 05:51:43 AM »
XB3 reminds me more of 1 than 2. I think they course corrected after 1. You can kind of see it in Torna too, it's not as trash as 2. I hope that getting the heroes is not stupid like getting the rare blades.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11457 on: July 24, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »
Xenoblade 3 seems more focused than Xenoblade 2 at least. I've gotten up to like 50% of the story of XB2 and definitely want to finish it sometime but there's just too much stuff that gets in the way or that requires grinding and big areas with basically nothing.
Also halfway through the game I still haven't entirely mastered the combat system and having to level both your character as well as the blades and the robot waifu in different ways makes it confusing too.

You can't really play it well unless you look up some guides on how it actually works and even then a lot of the game is just entirely random but that doesn't really work when you need very specific things to level up characters or break barriers with certain skills to progress the story :doge

It's by no means a bad game but if XB:DE is a 9/10 this moves between a 5/10 or 8/10 depending on what chapter of the game you are and how lucky you were to get the specific thing you need.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11458 on: July 24, 2022, 04:00:25 PM »
Xenoblade 3 has fully leaked.

I've read some spoilerish things and I'm shellshocked but also proud of Rex :pika
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11459 on: July 24, 2022, 05:00:31 PM »
Xenoblade 3 has fully leaked.

I've read some spoilerish things and I'm shellshocked but also proud of Rex :pika

Is it still a "leak" when the street date got broken and people are already playing it?
:thinking
ど助平