Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5391412 times)

Himu

lmao you mental midget

"Kaepernik had everything and was raised well off" is one of the most bone headed arguments ever. The man never knew his father. His father didn't want him. He was basically an orphan. Can you imagine that, even if you did grow up well off? As if money is supposed to heal the wound that you're an orphan, and your family gave you up, your father didn't want you? Oh, but it's okay. KAEPERNIK SHOULD KNOW HIS PLACE, right? Reading the comments made me furious.

Like this one.

A half black man that became an NFL player that had no priors with the police started kneeling during the National Anthem during NFL games who grew up in a wealthy suburbian neighborhood who just happened to be worse backup quarter back or lowest ranked QB during that time. I wonder how much he was paid to kneel by the group whom told him to do this when Trump won. It's said that politics is smeared in every show, sport, event in the entire country now. Everything is about racism or hatred. The U.S. is slowly but surely turning into a European nation. Even blacks in Europe can't stand blacks in America. A black man from even Africa doesn't act like a black man in America. It's terrible honestly.

Conservatives: America is the land of the free and you are censoring free speech.

Also conservatives: You cannot use your American right to protest causes during sports. You're rich. KKKnow your place.

Freedom of only I have true freedom speech.

You guys were right about cuckservatives.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
the left is just as stupid on this one. stan for multinational corps who practice modern day slavery and use child labor to make shoes because of some lame performative wokeness :yuck

the only winner is nike's bottom line

Himu

I support the message but yeah. I ain't gonna buy a pair of Ones because of it.

Also let's be honest. Kaepernik didn't even vote in 2016. The dude missed out on something on the ballot related to Californian prisons, which undoubtedly affects black people. So he's the wrong person to get behind entirely.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
yeah kaep seems like a dope but if he gets young people to care about issues with police and discrimination, that's fine by me.

Himu

yeah kaep seems like a dope but if he gets young people to care about issues with police and discrimination, that's fine by me.

Kaep = Shinobi
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

nachobro

• Live Más
 :lol shinobi used his influence to try and get people interested in mass effect andromeda so he's definitely a lot lower on the totem pole

Himu

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Another Democratic Ambush? Not in Delaware, as Carper Rebuffs Outsider’s Bid

#WheresTheBlueWave?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
lmao at this picture
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
Ben Shapiro, not entirely consistent about free speech? Heavens to Murgatroyd.

Should we prosecute sedition?

Quote from: Ben Shapiro
At some point, opposition must be considered disloyal. At some point, the American people must say "enough." At some point, Republicans in Congress must stop delicately tiptoeing with regard to sedition and must pass legislation to prosecute such sedition.

"Freedom of speech!" the American Civil Liberties Union will protest.
Before we buy into the slogan, we must remember our history. President Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus and allowed governmental officials to arrest Rep. Clement Vallandigham after Vallandigham called the Civil War "cruel" and "wicked," shut down hundreds of opposition newspapers, and had members of the Maryland legislature placed in prison to prevent Maryland's secession. The Union won the Civil War.

Under the Espionage Act of 1917, opponents of World War I were routinely prosecuted, and the Supreme Court routinely upheld their convictions. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes rightly wrote, "When a nation is at war, many things that might be said in time of peace are such a hindrance to its effort that their utterance will not be endured so long as men fight and that no Court could regard them as protected by any constitutional right." The Allies won World War I.

During World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized the internment of hundreds of thousands of Japanese-Americans, as well as allowing the prosecution and/or deportation of those who opposed the war. The Allies won World War II.

During the Vietnam War, the Supreme Court repeatedly upheld the free speech rights of war opponents, whether those opponents distributed leaflets depicting the rape of the Statue of Liberty or wore jackets emblazoned with the slogan "F--- the Draft." America lost the Vietnam War.

This is not to argue that every measure taken by the government to prosecute opponents of American wars is just or right or Constitutional. Some restrictions, however, are just and right and Constitutional -- and necessary. No war can be won when members of a disloyal opposition are given free reign to undermine it.

Rule of thumb: You don't have to take "public intellectuals" seriously if they're selling gold and caffeine pills. I'm sure he doesn't see himself this way but Shapiro's in the same bucket with Cernovich, Posobiec, etc.

shosta

I don't like the free speech trash baby parade but why dig up an article from twelve years ago to make your point
每天生气

benjipwns

HEY HEY HEY, WE HAVE A BEN SHAPIRO THREAD

And let's not just sell his opinions SHORT. Mandark, you shouldn't just beLITTLE him just because of his side SMALL businesses. And when comparing him to someone like Mike Cernovich we should consider both his REACH and also the HEIGHT of his status.

Mandark

• Icon
Cause it doesn't actually take any more time or effort thanks to Google, and Shapiro's views on criticizing the president during wartime mysteriously shifted during the period from 2009 to 2016.

benjipwns

Quote from: Ben Shapiro, patriot standing TALL with pride in America
President Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus and allowed governmental officials to arrest Rep. Clement Vallandigham after Vallandigham called the Civil War "cruel" and "wicked," ... The Union won the Civil War.
Rather more importantly, in my opinion anyway, he had him sent across enemy lines. Lincoln didn't want him arrested, but once he was, Lincoln's "solution" to not putting him in jail was pretty awful from a theoretical/philosophical point of view.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Himu

IYKYK

kingv

Ben Shapiro 2016: “I will never vote for Trump! Please buy my vitamins”
2018: “imma vote for trump in 2020. Please buy my vitamins”

Ben don’t even take himself seriously.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Battle of the speeches

It's like watching 2 different universes  :doge
🤴

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Anominous
püp

Mandark

• Icon
https://i.imgur.com/Jy396jw.jpg

:confused

The original has the mom yelling "YOU ASSUMED MY GENDER!" at the kid, which is far and away conservative comics' favorite gag.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Yeah line up those traitors. put them against the wall.

Louise Mensch and John Schindler have confirmed that the marshall of the supreme court will execute them at dawn as they squeeze out the KGB nanobugs.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1038164819252269056

:doge

🤴

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
mmm, my daily dose of nintex posts
püp

Mandark

• Icon
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/05/down-ballot-liberal-reformers-take-over-criminal-justice-system/

Very pleasantly surprised by how much traction criminal justice reform is getting. Did not see that coming.

kingv

At some level I think ther is only so much an AG or prosecutor can do.

They can remove some of the worst abuses, but at some point laws will be needed to find alternatives to prosecution. There are a lot of public nuisance type laws that probably disproportionately hit people with mental illness, and saying “oh I no longer prosecute public urination or laws intended to limit panhandling or whatever (here these are laws that prevent people from loitering in street medians) might end up cutting it short.

curly

• cultural maoist
Obama endorsed Medicare for All. Crazy how quickly M4A has become mainstream for the Dems.

https://i.imgur.com/Jy396jw.jpg

:confused

The original has the mom yelling "YOU ASSUMED MY GENDER!" at the kid, which is far and away conservative comics' favorite gag.

also the bore's :thinking

Mandark

• Icon
Obama endorsed Medicare for All. Crazy how quickly M4A has become mainstream for the Dems.

I wonder if Republican obstinacy is a factor here. Part of the idea behind the ACA was that they could possibly peel off some votes, and at least the GOP would be invested in making it work once it became law. Instead they got the broadest, most sustained resistance to a piece of legislation in my lifetime: multiple court challenges, a bazillion repeal bills, state governments opting out of making their own exchanges or taking the Medicaid expansion (which was only an option as the result of a SCOTUS decision), the Trump administration undermining the exchanges, etc.

If that's how they react to a compromise bill that keeps the private insurance industry in place, why not just go for something like single payer? How much worse could the backlash possibly be compared to 2010?

benjipwns

mmm, my daily dose of nintex posts
mmm is like a groan of pain right
just a heads up, i am currently in the process of attempting to acquire a sealed train from GermanBore

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Trump's followers and allies are literally turning into comic book villains  :doge

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1038003807068860416
🤴

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

I wonder if Republican obstinacy is a factor here. Part of the idea behind the ACA was that they could possibly peel off some votes, and at least the GOP would be invested in making it work once it became law. Instead they got the broadest, most sustained resistance to a piece of legislation in my lifetime: multiple court challenges, a bazillion repeal bills, state governments opting out of making their own exchanges or taking the Medicaid expansion (which was only an option as the result of a SCOTUS decision), the Trump administration undermining the exchanges, etc.

If that's how they react to a compromise bill that keeps the private insurance industry in place, why not just go for something like single payer? How much worse could the backlash possibly be compared to 2010?

I wonder if he also thinks ACA has too many moving parts and is more vulnerable to a death by a thousand cuts.

M4A if enacted would likely join the third rail of politics after 2-4 years (GOP probably gets one election cycle kick at the can)
___

Dickie Dee

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/05/down-ballot-liberal-reformers-take-over-criminal-justice-system/

Very pleasantly surprised by how much traction criminal justice reform is getting. Did not see that coming.

Note as concrete, but I noticed it's the only issue Obama mentions in a section I'm sure he meant to be highlighted:

(Edit: their follow-up reply kind of undercuts that, but still...)

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1038112828950020097
___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
"Do not complain. Don't hashtag."

:trumps
🤴

Dickie Dee

^ a Nintex post
___

kingv

I wonder if he also thinks ACA has too many moving parts and is more vulnerable to a death by a thousand cuts.

M4A if enacted would likely join the third rail of politics after 2-4 years (GOP probably gets one election cycle kick at the can)

I think this was really obvious even in 2009. The ACA has a lot of good stuff in it but was also sort of s huge political miscalculation.

Mandark

• Icon

Not just that, but the marketplace aspects (the mandates, exchanges, etc.) have been more susceptible to attack than the direct benefits. As much resistance as there's been to the Medicaid expansion by Republican governors, it never gets rolled back once its implemented, and it's something the GOP got scared away from touching during their repeal attempts last year.

Boredfrom

That was lamer than Nintex... congrats?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Romney wasn't as flexible as Barrack after the election.

The Russians always play both sides.
  :putin
🤴

Nola

I mean despite our president likely being both financially and politically compromised by them, they still aren't.

benjipwns

:nsfw

At one point, Nixon shook her chest, to the delight of the cheering woman in front of her.

benjipwns

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/09/will-donald-trump-face-a-primary-challenge-in-2020.html
Republican pros have, in recent weeks, quietly settled on new conventional wisdom: If Donald Trump is not impeached first, he is likely to face a primary challenge — of some sort — in 2020. The matter was regarded as an open question for most of 2018, but a new emergent consensus among the party’s consultants and strategists has taken root after Paul Manafort’s conviction and Michael Cohen’s implication of the president in federal court.

And New Hampshire — fertile ground historically for political insurgencies — is likely to be the place were we see the first clues about who the candidate will be, and what form exactly the challenge will take.
Outgoing Ohio Governor John Kasich, by far the best-known and likeliest challenger ...
Retiring Arizona Senator Jeff Flake, a former tea party hero who’s become Trump’s most prominent Republican critic in Washington ...
Proponents of Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse have quietly, and casually, spoken by phone with local power brokers ...
in-state operatives have informally kept tabs on an array of other potential candidates, including, wistfully, Mitt Romney  ...
Bill Kristol, the Weekly Standard founder and famous neoconservative, has been working to recruit a challenger, setting up meetings with interested donors and political figures, and stealthily running polls and focus groups ...
some Trump loyalists, for example, have grown wary of United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley ...
Pence plays a growing midterms role with his day-to-day campaigning, fundraising, and endorsing ...
Flake jokingly described himself as “that rarest of species: the American conservative, Americanus NeverTrumpus, subgenus: RINO,”
:american WE'RE SAVED :american

Finally, in May, the RNC axed its debate committee, signaling the party likely won’t hold any sanctioned primary debates in 2020, even if a challenger does emerge.

curly

• cultural maoist
:nsfw

At one point, Nixon shook her chest, to the delight of the cheering woman in front of her.

better dancer than Theresa May:

benjipwns

I believe that's the Tory Power Dance.

Mandark

• Icon
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/09/will-donald-trump-face-a-primary-challenge-in-2020.html
Republican pros have, in recent weeks, quietly settled on new conventional wisdom: If Donald Trump is not impeached first, he is likely to face a primary challenge — of some sort — in 2020. The matter was regarded as an open question for most of 2018, but a new emergent consensus among the party’s consultants and strategists has taken root after Paul Manafort’s conviction and Michael Cohen’s implication of the president in federal court.

The people who make their living off of Republican candidates think the conditions are good for some additional Republican candidates.

It could get really interesting if Trump ever does combust though, especially depending on the timing.

curly

• cultural maoist
Having trouble imagining how Trump could combust at this point other than a full-on stroke and even then it's 50/50 he'd keep his base

shosta

Having trouble imagining how Trump could combust at this point other than a full-on stroke and even then it's 50/50 he'd keep his base
Ailing presidents and ex presidents command more sympathy than healthy sitting ones, he'd actually expand his base with a stroke.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon

It's unlikely (wild ass guess of ~10% if Dems can get either chamber), but I remember how deep the personality cult was for Dubya on the right before "he was never a real conservative."

Which sort of implies that Trump should worry more about gas prices spiking than any criminal revelations.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Trump needs to invade North Korea to get the population and the media behind him.

and the Democrats, lulz
[close]
©@©™

kingv

Trump Democrats are already all in for him.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
John Bolton has an uplifting message for the International Criminal Court
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Part of me wonders if the midterms are becoming national in the sense that turnout will be a lot higher than 2014/2010/2006/etc due to more coverage, Trump having more involvement, Obama's involvement, etc. Right now it's looking like dems will take the house but I do kinda wonder if the investigation, impeachment, etc talk can get republicans to actually vote. Doesn't seem like it has motivated them yet, based on enthusiasm polls, tho.

shosta

Glad it's quasi official us policy now to reverse stance on the existence of universal crimes against humanity
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

:doge

Kinda weird how Trump randomly barges into meetings and Omarosa has perfect directional audio as if she held her phone right on front of his face.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:33:28 PM by Nintex »
🤴

kingv

Trump tweets that stupid bullshit openly.

Show us something good omarosa.

agrajag

Can everyone just go back to ignoring Omarosa please, thanks

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
It’s O ma rosa say it right or we’re cursed to see her forever!

FStop7

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Zuck am chud confirmed.
Hi

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Frankly, I'm surprised that Bolton got "Intents and purposes" right.
que

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
This doesn’t feel like the exactly appropriate thread but I’ll ask here anyway: did the Huffington Post kinda die? It’s still there but I never see people talking about it or linking to it, and I also don’t recall any scandals that would’ve made it unpopular. Anyone know what happened there? It used to be one of the most popular sites on the web.
serge