Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5452502 times)

kingv

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Impeach the Melon Farmer
« Reply #29040 on: January 04, 2019, 06:40:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1081296229554884610

itshappeningronpaul.jpg

I can vouch that the tsa checkpoint was slow as balls in the tiny ass airport I flew out of two days ago.

kingv

« Reply #29041 on: January 04, 2019, 06:50:26 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/investing/federal-reserve-jobs-report-rate-hike/index.html

The conclusions of this article are insane.

The economy is looking weaker => the FED may not raise rates => stock prices should be... higher?

Nola

« Reply #29042 on: January 04, 2019, 07:10:36 PM »
Saw my rep introduced a nationwide vote by mail bill, that’s what this is gonna be for two years, isn’t it? Lots of good ideas brought up when you know they can’t go anywhere

A lot of it sure.

What exactly else should be done?

Trump and Republicans have made it clear they are still all in on the Gingrich style unified opposition strategy, so the only real counter strategy besides total capitulation is to hammer them with bills that they will look bad voting against, like corruption bills, infrastructure funding, ACA fixes, voting rights laws, campaign finance reform, and use that as a vessel to differentiate the parties and make the case for 2020.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29043 on: January 04, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
every Congress has tons of bills, both great and shit that go nowhere, you can then say you introduced bill so and so and lead the fight on this or that, you get it even when one party fully controls both branches and the party on face supports the bills

there's whole hosts of bills that are introduced every Congress by the same Congressperson and they'll do it for like 30 years or more

shouldn't really feel bad about this House being the same in that regard, you never know when one of them might get momentum by some obscure quirk of fate

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29044 on: January 04, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
It's a way of communicating to voters what they'd do if they had unified control, setting priorities within the party, etc. Plus if you hash out the details even when you know it can't pass, it'll potentially be ready to go as soon as you do get both houses and the presidency. The FMLA and Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act come to mind.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #29045 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1081296229554884610

itshappeningronpaul.jpg

The idiots at poliera think shit won't hit the fan until tax season

They're such bumbling fools
:O

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29046 on: January 04, 2019, 07:47:16 PM »
take your shit to the shit thread

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #29047 on: January 04, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »
Speaking of shit, james, can we get an update on those vault toilets?
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #29048 on: January 04, 2019, 07:57:38 PM »
take your shit to the shit thread

you really can't bring PoliERA stuff up in the shit bin thread because then bork starts crying about people discussing politics in the shit bin thread.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29049 on: January 04, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
I don't give a shit

agrajag

« Reply #29050 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
 :badass

benjipwns

« Reply #29051 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
i'm fine with using "poliera" or "poligaf" as short hand for "representative of internet experts who mainline Democratic Twitter 24/7" as long as not linking :trumps

agrajag

« Reply #29052 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »
i'm fine with using "poliera" or "poligaf" as short hand for "representative of internet experts who mainline Democratic Twitter 24/7" as long as not linking :trumps

requesting word filter, paging dog to isle 3

james

« Reply #29053 on: January 04, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »
Speaking of shit, james, can we get an update on those vault toilets?

As of 56 minutes ago, the Mist trail has become the poop trail and will close at sunset

https://twitter.com/YosemiteNPS/status/1081341436673605632

james

« Reply #29054 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »
Also, someone died but their death can't be investigated due to the shut down

Take note Benji. Opportunities like this don't come by often

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/claudiarosenbaum/man-dies-yosemite-government-shutdown?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29055 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
i'm fine with using "poliera" or "poligaf" as short hand for "representative of internet experts who mainline Democratic Twitter 24/7" as long as not linking

no

benjipwns

« Reply #29056 on: January 04, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
wow at cowardly mandark shaming beloved poligaf co-champion toxicadam

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29057 on: January 04, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
Keep calm and enjoy the ride!!!
Everything will be 'fixed' early next week as we can't stick with the shutdown plot line for much longer.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #29058 on: January 04, 2019, 08:36:03 PM »

“If you are liberal then you are, by definition, tolerant, and if you truly eschew hate, you know that loving your neighbor ― your actual neighbor ― is where tolerance begins,” he writes. “I am writing on behalf of my family to ask you to reconsider whether the message of your lawn sign moves our world and our village in the direction of love at all, or whether it sends a very different message instead.”

Despite his conciliatory tone in the letter, though, McInnes isn’t always so polite about his neighbors and their signs. He devoted an hour-long podcast on Friday to the signs, with a decidedly less neighborly tone.

“If you have that sign on your lawn, you’re a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow,” McInnes said. 
https://getoffmylawnpod.libsyn.com/get-off-my-lawn-podcast-101-i-hate-hate-has-no-home-here-signs

Nola

« Reply #29059 on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:06 PM »
It's a way of communicating to voters what they'd do if they had unified control, setting priorities within the party, etc. Plus if you hash out the details even when you know it can't pass, it'll potentially be ready to go as soon as you do get both houses and the presidency. The FMLA and Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act come to mind.

Exactly. It's a strategy congresses have used to pretty solid success in the past.

Nola

« Reply #29060 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
Is there anything more thin in America than the skin of a conservative white male caught up in the culture wars?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29061 on: January 04, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/

Sounds like this sort of stuff was prepared for anyone but Donald J. Trump  :lol

The president could seize control of U.S. internet traffic, impeding access to certain websites and ensuring that internet searches return pro-Trump content as the top results.

I'm also sure he didn't know about all this so writing it all down might not be the smartest move(?)
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #29062 on: January 04, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
Thirty states of emergency are in effect today—several times more than when the act was passed. Most have been renewed for years on end. And during the 40 years the law has been in place, Congress has not met even once, let alone every six months, to vote on whether to end them.
:trumps

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29063 on: January 04, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »

Exactly. It's a strategy congresses have used to pretty solid success in the past.

Considering the big-ticket items on the Dem agenda (healthcare, climate, college debt, immigration), I'd like to see them spend the next couple years working out the details on bills where it's easier to reach a consensus within the party (like the big voting reform package they announced) so they can hit the ground running.

You have to assume you have a two year window to pass legislation, the big compromises take forever to hammer out, and there's a good chance that a bunch of time and energy will get diverted to some unanticipated crisis response.

benjipwns

« Reply #29064 on: January 04, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »
Take a moment to consider that during a declared war or national emergency, the president can unilaterally suspend the law that bars government testing of biological and chemical agents on unwitting human subjects.
this kinda seems unnecessary ya know

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #29066 on: January 04, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »
“Donald Trump is going to be impeached whether it is by the ballot box or Congress,” said Representative Eric Swalwell, Democrat of California and a member of the Intelligence Committee. “It will just be a matter of which one comes first.”
one of those isn't impeachment tho, only the House can impeach :doge

shosta

« Reply #29067 on: January 04, 2019, 10:35:39 PM »
Corey Lewandowski on Igraham Angle just now: "She's about as much of a native american as I am. I'm not a Native American, and I'm proud of that."

每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #29068 on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »
i thought we were supposed to be all i'm a native american i was born in america :smug

El Babua

« Reply #29069 on: January 04, 2019, 11:20:27 PM »
I much prefer the "you're not indigenous to anywhere unless your from Africa" :smug

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #29070 on: January 04, 2019, 11:54:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1081234130841600000

More enraged boners?
Bring on the AOC deepfakes  :smug

:thinking AOC taking BBC  :lawd
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:00:11 AM by filler »

agrajag

« Reply #29071 on: January 05, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »
Corey Lewandowski on Igraham Angle just now: "She's about as much of a native american as I am. I'm not a Native American, and I'm proud of that."

trying to find an appropriate reaction smiley but I am drunk an lazy

benjipwns

« Reply #29072 on: January 05, 2019, 01:16:01 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/media/weekly-standard-the-bulwark/
A handful of writers and editors who worked at The Weekly Standard, the now-defunct conservative magazine that was deeply critical of President Donald Trump until its sudden demise in December, have a new home.

Starting Monday, Bill Kristol, a co-founder of The Weekly Standard, and Charlie Sykes, the former talk radio host and conservative commentator, will beef up The Bulwark, a conservative website that has until now served as an aggregator for Kristol's non-profit group, the Defending Democracy Together Institute.

"The Bulwark was an aggregator," Sykes told CNN in a phone interview Friday. "We are going to turn it into a full-fledged opinion news website, with really the core digital staff of The Weekly Standard."

"I think the need for a rational, non-Trumpist forum was more urgent than ever," Sykes added. "And I do think that contrary to some of the conventional wisdom, there is a market for center-right commentary that pushes back against Trumpism."

Sykes will serve as editor-in-chief, and Kristol will be an editor-at-large.
The Bulwark staff have a number of articles prepared for next week's launch, Sykes said, including one that examines the possibility of a 2020 challenger to Trump, reaction to Mitt Romney's recent op-ed, and one that looks into "the task ahead" for conservatives in the age of Trump.

One of the "core missions" of The Bulwark will be "pushing back against some of the trolls and grifters on the right," Sykes said, without naming any one person in particular.
:american WE'RE SAVED :american

agrajag

« Reply #29073 on: January 05, 2019, 01:19:09 AM »
I always confuse Bill Kristol with Billy Crystal.

shosta

« Reply #29074 on: January 05, 2019, 03:17:20 AM »
if trump ends 242 years of constitutional government because the conservative media bubble willfully exaggerated and distorted a small group of poor refugees, I am going to blow something up
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #29075 on: January 05, 2019, 03:17:37 AM »
it will most likely be nintex's house
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #29076 on: January 05, 2019, 03:32:50 AM »
look at Hermann Goring over here

benjipwns

« Reply #29077 on: January 05, 2019, 03:43:12 AM »
plus the wall obsession was a thing well before the caravan invaded, you're trying to trick us

ain't slick

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29078 on: January 05, 2019, 03:45:37 AM »
if trump ends 242 years of constitutional government because the conservative media bubble willfully exaggerated and distorted a small group of poor refugees, I am going to blow something up

Wasn't the caravan.

Anne Coulter called him a pussy and unfollowed him on Twitter.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #29080 on: January 05, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
How come the goverment is shut down over a wall Mexico is paying for?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #29081 on: January 05, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
including Wall
püp

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #29082 on: January 05, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
(CNN)President Donald Trump told congressional leaders during a meeting Friday to try to negotiate terms to re-open the government and that he preferred the word "strike" in describing the ongoing government shutdown, a person familiar with the meeting and a Democratic aide told CNN.

Trump also kicked off the meeting with a profanity laden opening salvo lasting more than 15 minutes in which he made it clear that he had no plans to move on from his demand for $5.6 billion to build a border wall, according to a person familiar with the meeting.
Trump also addressed the issue of impeachment, directing his remarks at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, according to two people familiar with what happened inside the room. Pelosi, in response, told him the meeting was supposed to be about re-opening the government, not impeachment, the people said.
The Wall Street Journal earlier reported on Trump's preference for calling the shutdown a "strike."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/trump-calling-shutdown-strike/index.html

sinxtanx

« Reply #29083 on: January 05, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
home run strike all the way to a check mate touch down

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #29084 on: January 05, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

“If you are liberal then you are, by definition, tolerant, and if you truly eschew hate, you know that loving your neighbor ― your actual neighbor ― is where tolerance begins,” he writes. “I am writing on behalf of my family to ask you to reconsider whether the message of your lawn sign moves our world and our village in the direction of love at all, or whether it sends a very different message instead.”

Despite his conciliatory tone in the letter, though, McInnes isn’t always so polite about his neighbors and their signs. He devoted an hour-long podcast on Friday to the signs, with a decidedly less neighborly tone.

“If you have that sign on your lawn, you’re a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow,” McInnes said. 
https://getoffmylawnpod.libsyn.com/get-off-my-lawn-podcast-101-i-hate-hate-has-no-home-here-signs

Typical conservative snowflake speak: Liberals must be considerate of me, but I don't have to be considerate to them.
©ZH

james

« Reply #29085 on: January 05, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
For 70% tax on those making $10m a year, I don't think it will work. It needs to be gradual. If you start taxing from $10m, then those making $9m will be actually making more. It needs to be gradual, like 50% on $8m, 60% on $9m and 70% on anything equal to or greater than $10m.

Poliera is at it again

kingv

« Reply #29086 on: January 05, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
It’s like babbies learning how marginal tax rates work

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29087 on: January 05, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
Just declare a state of emergency and tax everyone 100% :ussrcry

Anyway. The talks must be going well. Trump spend the last hour or so trashing the Democrats and #fakenews on Twitter.  :doge
🤴

Nola

« Reply #29088 on: January 05, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
For 70% tax on those making $10m a year, I don't think it will work. It needs to be gradual. If you start taxing from $10m, then those making $9m will be actually making more. It needs to be gradual, like 50% on $8m, 60% on $9m and 70% on anything equal to or greater than $10m.

Poliera is at it again

I.E. one idiot that was corrected immediately in subsequent posts

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29090 on: January 05, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/DavidRutz/status/1081711373921542146

Watching Warren campaign is like watching Mitt Romney campaign.
I remember political commentators felt sorry for Romney just at how bad he was at campaigning.  :doge
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #29091 on: January 06, 2019, 01:09:06 AM »
So four more years then. :stahp
Hi

shosta

每天生气

james

« Reply #29094 on: January 06, 2019, 06:30:03 AM »
Wow TSA is so lax they let me bring Benji on the plane

Tripon

benjipwns

« Reply #29097 on: January 06, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
who started this "clown car" meme? how do we imprison them?

shosta

« Reply #29098 on: January 06, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »
President Donald Trump again threatened Sunday to declare a national emergency as a means to construct his proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, saying he would first gauge the results of upcoming negotiations to end a partial government shutdown triggered by partisan debate over his campaign trail promise.

“I may decide a national emergency depending on what happens over the next few days,” Trump told reporters as he exited the White House en route to Camp David, according to a pool report.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #29099 on: January 06, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
I better nor get any presidential text alerts over this shit

:shaq2