Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5451874 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #32160 on: March 02, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »
The voice of the people's revolutionary vanguard (Teen Vogue) has spoken: the Bernie bro Bernie Sanders is cancelled.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
While I'm glad reparations to descendants of American slaves is an issue that has come up already in the Democratic Primary, it feels like a bit of a disingenuous GOTCHA to trap Mr. White Working Class when Speaker Léonie Blum says we can't even pay for Medicare for All. Do y'all really think the process of decolonization will be particularly cheap? Or is this going to be a case of "Sorry I burned down your village. Here's some gold."
[close]

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Boredfrom

« Reply #32162 on: March 02, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »
The free speech stuff piss me off given that is a cynical ammo for nutty right wing lunatics and nutty democrats that write “MAH FREEZE PEACH” as some sort of smart take that. The fucker that want to be best friends with dictators wants to “protect” free speech.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #32163 on: March 02, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »
The voice of the people's revolutionary vanguard (Teen Vogue) has spoken: the Bernie bro Bernie Sanders is cancelled.

While I'm glad reparations to descendants of American slaves is an issue that has come up already in the Democratic Primary, it feels like a bit of a disingenuous GOTCHA to trap Mr. White Working Class when Speaker Léonie Blum says we can't even pay for Medicare for All. Do y'all really think the process of decolonization will be particularly cheap? Or is this going to be a case of "Sorry I burned down your village. Here's some gold."
[close]

We went through this last cycle, right? Sanders said it wouldn't be politically feasible and TNC (whose piece is probably why it gets brought up) basically said it was disingenuous to use that excuse in this particular case when Sanders' whole brand was based on rejecting it in the general case. The Discourse was spicy that day, my friend.

Sanders' argument would probably be that big increases in social spending are broadly popular and therefor politically feasible for anyone willing to buck corporate interests and bring public pressure to bear, but that support among white people would collapse for any expensive policy explicitly aiming to benefit black people.

Understandable why he wouldn't want to say all that out loud, but kind of funny that Obama was pretty direct about making that general point in his book.
[close]

kingv

« Reply #32164 on: March 02, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
TNC is kind of a dumb ass about this issue in a way.

He has never put a line in the sand about what reparations even would be, from a political perspective. He’s never endorsed any particular remedy, publically theorized about one, proposed one, or as far as I know ever written any sort of guidelines about what it sort of should look like.

Anybody that is praising or criticizing a politician for not supporting “reparations” is being silly because they are wasting air talking about something incredibly vague and non-specific.

The new vogue seems to be for a candidate to say they support reparations and then propose something that isn’t really specifically focused on black people at all, then call it “reparations”.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #32165 on: March 02, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
You called me friend, Mandark. :uguu

I'm not really interested in speculating on why he doesn't support doing the right thing--he has after all now been denounced by the party organ--I just think that the Democratic establishment that stands against him doesn't have a particularly solid moral footing from which to attack him on the issue, not just for the fact that it's "unrealistic" economically but because even an unsatisfactory postwar German style of reparations would necessarily require that white America be disabused of many of their most favorite bedtime stories about rugged individualism and the Democratic Party's big tent currently includes people who pretend to be more patriotic than Columbia herself. But attacking from moral ground you don't have is politics, I know.
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #32166 on: March 02, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
Right. The giveaway is where a criticism is prefaced with "He was among the 100 senators who..."

Where do you go from there? Unless the author's making a sly case against electoralism.

Tripon

« Reply #32167 on: March 02, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/notch/status/1101794469060337664 going to get my political news from notch now.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32168 on: March 02, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/notch/status/1101794469060337664 going to get my political news from notch now.

Just another bored billionaire

Youd think hed travel the world or make some sort of difference with his found fortune, instead he chooses to be ordinary. Well thats understating anyone who believes the Qanon shit.
:9

Boredfrom

« Reply #32169 on: March 02, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
At this point, I think he is mentally ill.

I dont totally blame him given that some drama against him was unfair and manufactured. Though he is genuine dumb fuck right now.
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32170 on: March 02, 2019, 08:06:11 PM »
Who is mentally ill? Notch, the flag molesting (addicted?) BEASTMODE President, AOC, Bernie Sanders, Q? Are they all mentally ill?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1101904995191087104

Does it actually matter?

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32172 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
It looks like he's campaigning in a bathroom with that tilework.

Not a good look  :doge

Unless they rig that shit Bernie's going to destroy the other jokers.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #32173 on: March 02, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
Who is mentally ill? Notch, the flag molesting (addicted?) BEASTMODE President, AOC, Bernie Sanders, Q? Are they all mentally ill?

Nintex.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Kara

« Reply #32175 on: March 02, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »
This thread already has shitty Stormfront cosplay because lolbertarianism, why not have Nintex weigh in on mental health too.

Boredfrom

« Reply #32176 on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:42 PM »
This thread already has shitty Stormfront cosplay because lolbertarianism, why not have Nintex weigh in on mental health too.

Because Nintex is not funny.

kingv

« Reply #32177 on: March 02, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
You called me friend, Mandark. :uguu

I'm not really interested in speculating on why he doesn't support doing the right thing--he has after all now been denounced by the party organ--I just think that the Democratic establishment that stands against him doesn't have a particularly solid moral footing from which to attack him on the issue, not just for the fact that it's "unrealistic" economically but because even an unsatisfactory postwar German style of reparations would necessarily require that white America be disabused of many of their most favorite bedtime stories about rugged individualism and the Democratic Party's big tent currently includes people who pretend to be more patriotic than Columbia herself. But attacking from moral ground you don't have is politics, I know.
[close]

I sort of roll my eyes at criticizing anybody for not “doing the right thing” in part because there is no consensus on what reparations even means from a policy perspective. It could mean everything from “free college and Medicare for all but calling it reparations” to “give $1 million cash to everybody darker than a paper bag”.

Bernie’s response of “what does that even mean, specifically?” when asked if he supports reparations is imo, the right one at this point in time. I basically would support most of the “reparations” plans that have been floated by democratic candidates, but would also call all of them general anti-poverty programs and not really reparations the way a lot of people mean it.

That said, the only place I’ve ever really seen people come up with their preferred policy ideas for reparations was on 2016 Neogaf. And all of their ideas were obviously ridiculous and never going to happen.

I do think a constituency can be built to support reparations programs to some extent, but there Doesnt seem to be any organized activist groups trying to figure out something that might even be reasonable or workable.

Something along the lines of righting specific wrongs, while also instituting some generalized anti-poverty programs is probably something that could get support in the democratic caucus and maybe gen pop... but someone has to propose it and make the case.

I’m thinking something like “special below-market financing for home buyers whose family  can be traced to neighborhoods affected by redlining” and “free college education for descendants of black soldiers denied GI Bill benefits”. Those things seem like reasonably able to be defined in a way that makes sense... but the idea of “giving each black person $200K cash” or whatever is completely unworkable logistically, economically, and politically. Nobody should even waste time arguing for it.

agrajag

« Reply #32178 on: March 02, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
Andrew Yang wants to give everyone a $1000 monthly Freedom Dividend, but you can call it reparations if it makes you feel better

:usacry

Kara

« Reply #32179 on: March 02, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
Rarely is the question asked, how can we make reparations politically viable under white minority rule?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32180 on: March 02, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
Rarely is the question asked, how can we make reparations politically viable under white minority rule?

Water fed farina
unsalted

El Babua

« Reply #32181 on: March 02, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32183 on: March 03, 2019, 09:21:16 AM »
No one suspected that Epstein had any contact with underage females.
Sure Alan.
That's why you guys all called it: "Lolita flights"  ;)

In the 2007 New York magazine article, Vanity Fair columnist Michael Wolff described flying on Epstein’s private plane in the 1990s, saying Epstein “was followed onto the plane by — how shall I say this? — by three teenage girls not his daughters” who were “18, 19, 20, who knows” and “model-like.”

Oh and Trump blurted out years ago
“Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.”

But I guess no one really knew what Epstein was up to nor suspected he had contact with underage females that you know, boarded his plane.
 :idont
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32185 on: March 03, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »

Call it something else and try to find a non racial criteria for eligibility that overlaps well enough with most identified descendants of slaves. But is it even "reparations" if you have to stealthily pass it which is sort of your point.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32186 on: March 03, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1102245613457031169
 :neogaf

President  acts like a drug addict -> fires up the base
AOC takes an Uber -> hypocrisy!
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #32187 on: March 03, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »

Call it something else and try to find a non racial criteria for eligibility that overlaps well enough with most identified descendants of slaves. But is it even "reparations" if you have to stealthily pass it which is sort of your point.
It was pretty common on the right circa 2010 to attack the ACA for being "reparations."

kingv

« Reply #32188 on: March 03, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »

This basically describes Bernie Sanders political positions.

And frankly it’s the only tenable path to reparations anytime soon.

Reparations are deeply unpopular, with like 70% of the population opposed.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32190 on: March 03, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »
Trump not understanding what the phrase actually means is so on brand it's not even funny.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #32191 on: March 03, 2019, 05:34:25 PM »
except bolton's lying

Tripon

« Reply #32192 on: March 03, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
Trying to protect Trump's penchant for lying just means that eventually a person just gives up because Trump just lies so much.

Trump simply doesn't believe in telling the truth, even when it serves him.

Tripon

agrajag

« Reply #32194 on: March 03, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »
Trying to protect Trump's penchant for lying just means that eventually a person just gives up because Trump just lies so much.

Trump simply doesn't believe in telling the truth, even when it serves him.

yeah that's kind of bin a typical cabinet member trajectory for this administration, cover for Trump until it becomes exhausting

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

kingv

« Reply #32197 on: March 04, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »
So who’s going to give mass once they get rid of the gay priests?

agrajag

« Reply #32198 on: March 04, 2019, 01:58:26 PM »
more hamberders today

Himu

« Reply #32199 on: March 04, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
So who’s going to give mass once they get rid of the gay priests?

:lol

Good question.
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #32203 on: March 04, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
Whitaker quit :rofl

byebitch.gif
©ZH

Nola

« Reply #32204 on: March 04, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »
Those big dick toilets don't sell themselves

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32205 on: March 04, 2019, 04:51:41 PM »
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/03/01/trump-national-security-council-225442
Trump often seemed in disbelief that he, of all people, was now occupying such a weighty office. A former staffer recalls being in an informal meeting in Flynn’s office when the president burst into the room. Trump apologized for interrupting but said he wanted to show them something. An aide came in with a framed photo of the 16th president. “Abraham Lincoln. President Abraham Lincoln,” Trump said, according to the ex-staffer. “They’ve got all kinds of cool stuff here.”

It was also emotionally exhausting, even by the standards of people who’ve worked in war zones and tried to stop genocides. Under Flynn, one NSC staffer at the time recalls sobbing on the way home every night. Others took up yoga or cooking. Some put on their office walls pictures of personal heroes as inspiration. Many found their work so ignored that they stopped putting in the typical 12- to 16-hour days and went home early. And just about everyone drank more.

:trumps

:rofl
🤴

kingv

« Reply #32206 on: March 04, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »
Should sell hanging balls toilets instead.

My balls dap with the water on the regular.

agrajag

« Reply #32207 on: March 04, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »

how old are you?

kingv

« Reply #32208 on: March 04, 2019, 06:01:55 PM »

how old are you?

Grown ass man.

Nola

« Reply #32209 on: March 04, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »
So I guess Ilhan Omar said something perceived negative about Israel again and congress is demanding another vote indirectly condemning her.

agrajag

« Reply #32210 on: March 04, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »

how old are you?

Grown ass man.

you sound like an old ass man if your balks sag so much. The opposite of Stost whose balls haven't dropped.

agrajag

« Reply #32211 on: March 04, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
So I guess Ilhan Omar said something perceived negative about Israel again and congress is demanding another vote indirectly condemning her.

just look at this shit

https://twitter.com/RepJuanVargas/status/1102636576524374016

Boredfrom

« Reply #32212 on: March 04, 2019, 07:26:44 PM »
Is like she is incompetent as a politician or something.

« Reply #32213 on: March 04, 2019, 07:28:41 PM »

Been trying to talk to people about Bernie and reparations on this.

A lot of people have trouble getting past needing the DIRECT vocal approval of a thing, rather than ignore that and be slick
She

Nola

« Reply #32214 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »

She's a relatively attractive, young, progressive/socialist Muslim that won with 78% of her district. Traits which automatically fits her into that weird fetish space conservatives have AOC and their overly white district's exceptionally high interracial porn consumption. Which means wall to wall catastrophizing from National Review to Breit Bart because it's what the people want.

....She also spoke moderately freely about Israel in a way that wasn't on brand and Democrats will rush with a quickness to any opportunistic Republican attack that is perceived to solidify their Israel street cred.

Boredfrom

« Reply #32215 on: March 04, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »

She's a relatively attractive, young, progressive/socialist Muslim that won with 78% of her district. Traits which automatically fits her into that weird fetish space conservatives have AOC and their overly white district's exceptionally high interracial porn consumption. Which means wall to wall catastrophizing from National Review to Breit Bart because it's what the people want.

....She also spoke moderately freely about Israel in a way that wasn't on brand and Democrats will rush with a quickness to any opportunistic Republican attack that is perceived to solidify their Israel street cred.

And?

She is a politician now and this is the third time she gives them ammo while making her point lost.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #32216 on: March 04, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
The political skill in question is avoiding anything but the most lukewarm criticism of Israel.

Boredfrom

« Reply #32217 on: March 04, 2019, 09:06:53 PM »
The political skill in question is avoiding anything but the most lukewarm criticism of Israel.

While the risk now is accomplishing nothing while everyone falls in line.

agrajag

« Reply #32218 on: March 04, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
you can't even do that, apparently.

Additionally, questioning support for the U.S.-Israel relationship is unacceptable.

someone should tell these crusty old congressmen that a shit ton of American Jews are critical of the Israeli government.

Boredfrom

« Reply #32219 on: March 04, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
As she should not double down when called out of a dog whistle.