Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5391783 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| Hillary Clinton revanchists at it again
« Reply #49920 on: January 25, 2020, 09:01:56 PM »
Let’s be honest, there hasn’t been a strong VP pick by either side in over 20 years.  Biden included
What? Biden was good. So was Edwards. And there's nothing questionable about Al Gore.

Also if you're already inculcated into the neoconservative consensus you probably liked Cheney.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #49921 on: January 25, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Kerry was never a VP nominee!

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #49922 on: January 25, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »
who was going to be vp for perot?

shosta

« Reply #49923 on: January 25, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »
Kerry was never a VP nominee!
my brain was thinking of Edwards and then my fingers typed Kerry  :-\
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #49924 on: January 25, 2020, 09:06:16 PM »
who was going to be vp for perot?

"Who am I? Why am I here?" should have been Biden's campaign slogan.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #49925 on: January 25, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »
I remember Dennis Miller in the 90's taking a couple minutes out of a stand-up special to lecture the audience about making fun of Stockdale. "He's a war hero!"

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #49926 on: January 25, 2020, 09:11:45 PM »
We had a Vice President run the military for 8 years back in 2000. Show some respect.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #49927 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:19 PM »
Let’s be honest, there hasn’t been a strong VP pick by either side in over 20 years.  Biden included

Depends how you look at it.

Pence was a solid pick for what they were doing.

https://twitter.com/BetaODork/status/1221172231658754048

Jeez, from cornball, to embarrassed, to creeped out in less than two seconds.

That just reminded me, a Sanders / Franken ticket would be beastmode.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #49928 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:32 PM »
:O

Trurl

« Reply #49929 on: January 25, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »
Joe Biden debating Paul Ryan was one of the best tv-viewing experiences of my life.  He got a lot of flack for being a dick, but I feel like making Paul Ryan look like a little boy more than made up for it. 

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #49930 on: January 25, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »
Joe Biden debating Paul Ryan was one of the best tv-viewing experiences of my life.  He got a lot of flack for being a dick, but I feel like making Paul Ryan look like a little boy more than made up for it. 

Biden had swagger there. If he could dust off enough neurons capable of working at that level, the Trump debates could be a lot of fun.
serge

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #49931 on: January 25, 2020, 10:51:51 PM »
Yup Obama Biden was a monster.

kingv

« Reply #49932 on: January 25, 2020, 11:50:05 PM »
Seeing him today is like reminding yourself that pee
Paw isn’t going to give you another uncle

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

james

« Reply #49934 on: January 26, 2020, 01:43:49 AM »

Wtf happened to Paul Ryan. I feel like he turned into a corn cob

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #49935 on: January 26, 2020, 01:46:12 AM »
Chillin and seeing if he can run in 24. He was enough of a shitheel failure that he needs to fade a bit so people could forget how bad he was
serge

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #49936 on: January 26, 2020, 01:46:33 AM »
Tim kaine was the worst vp nominee of the last 200 years.

At least Palin was interesting
I actually read an article last week regarding VPs analyzed as against their actual job since the founding and the author considered that only recently have we truly had "good VPs" and while I might quibble he named Bush, Gore, Cheney and Biden.

Until Jimmy Carter it was actually not considered custom to even brief the Vice President on anything. The VP would often leave town with Congress. (Which used to be in DC only a couple months out of the year.) Truman was rather infamously informed of the Manhattan Project after FDR died, along with all war planning and everything else.

Calvin Coolidge, under Warren G. Harding, was the first and until Carter had Mondale invited (and Reagan continued with Bush) only VP to ever sit in cabinet meetings.

VP picks weren't even chosen (and arguably still aren't really) with much focus on how they might ascend to the Presidency. When John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur and Theodore Roosevelt all rose to the presidency they came from different wings of the party (or even different parties!) and held policies and agendas completely against that of the President they were replacing. That's one reason that of them only Roosevelt was ever re-nominated (and he essentially had an entire term as McKinley died in 1901) let alone re-elected.

Even worse, nobody even considered replacing the VP until FDR died because the position was seen as so useless and unnecessary that the succession wasn't even thought of. That was why Andrew Johnson's impeachment was an attempt by the then next-in-line Benjamin Wade to take control of the Presidency. Something that wouldn't have happened with Nixon, Clinton and wouldn't with Trump as they all had VPs who could then add their own VPs. (As Ford did.)

Heck, even when Taylor, Garfield and McKinley were dying (and Wilson was incapacitated and FDR was borderline so) there was nothing to temporarily hand the powers to the VP like now is done when Presidents get a colonoscopy. It took until Reagan even after the empowerment of the President for one to finally set the precedent of handing over the powers temporarily. And that wasn't even when he was shot! (Since he couldn't, and which led to Alexander Haig's coup attempt.)

I've wandered off track but you totally expect this at this point. But anyway, VPs have never been all that important really, even as ticket balancers, especially after conventions stopped being relevant. And even these "strong VPs" that we have now might in some ways be worse than non-entities at times, for all the good things that an empowered one could do by taking on some of the executive load, you have had Bush with his hands in Iran-Contra, Gore with those fundraising crimes, Cheney with all his shit, that time Biden sneezed and embarrassed the country, etc.

In the context of pure politics, I think Palin is arguably one of the better picks in that McCain was doomed anyway and needed to fire up the GOP base to even have a chance. Had she managed to be simply normal in gaffes it would have been an excellent pick in political terms. I know that most everyone else on the planet disagrees with me.

edit: One other goofy thing I just randomly remembered. From 1828-1908, no Vice President was re-nominated, even when the President was.  (The Democrats did twice pick the same VP candidate an election apart but he lost one of the two times.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:20:58 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #49937 on: January 26, 2020, 01:59:46 AM »
These once used to the biggest two endorsements in the early states:
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/editorials/caucus/2020/01/26/elizabeth-warren-president-democrat-iowa-caucuses-des-moines-register-editorial-board-endorsement/4562157002/
No wonder Iowa Democrats are unsettled.

Each of the remaining candidates campaigning across Iowa ahead of the caucuses could make a fine president. Each would be more inclusive and thoughtful than the current occupant of the White House. Each would treat truth as something that matters. Each would conduct foreign policy by coalition building rather than by whim and tweet.

The outstanding caliber of Democratic candidates makes it difficult to choose just one.

But ultimately Iowa caucusgoers need to do that. Who would make the best president at this point in the country’s history? At a time when the economic deck has become so stacked against working Americans that the gap between rich and poor is the highest in more than 50 years? At a time when a generation of war has stressed military families and sapped the treasury?

The Des Moines Register editorial board endorses Elizabeth Warren in the 2020 Iowa Democratic caucuses as the best leader for these times.

https://www.unionleader.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-amy-klobuchar-can-win/article_8df3186b-b37f-582a-a676-1307e63dc98c.html
If you are a New Hampshire voter who thinks Donald Trump is doing a good job, you can probably sleep in on primary day, Feb. 11. Try as they might, his Republican challengers have not made a dent in the President’s popularity within the party here.

If you are an independent or Democrat, however, yours may be one of the most consequential votes ever cast in a New Hampshire Primary. If there is to be any realistic challenge to Trump in November, the Democratic nominee needs to have a proven and substantial record of accomplishment across party lines, an ability to unite rather than divide, and the strength and stamina to go toe-to-toe with the Tweeter-in-Chief.

That would be U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota. She is sharp and witty, with a commanding understanding of both history and the inner workings of Capitol Hill.

Trump doesn’t want to face her. He is hoping for Bernie, Biden, Buttigieg or Warren. Each has weaknesses, whether of age, inexperience or a far-left agenda that thrills some liberals but is ripe for exploitation in a mainstream general election.

Sen. Klobuchar has none of those weaknesses and the incumbent needs to be presented a challenger who is not easily dismissed. Her work in Washington has led to the passage of an impressive number of substantive bills, even as the partisan divide has deepened. In 2018 she won reelection, taking back dozens of conservative-leaning counties that had gone for Trump two years earlier, when Hillary Clinton barely beat him in Minnesota. In fact, Sen. Klobuchar, a former prosecutor, has never lost an election.

james

« Reply #49938 on: January 26, 2020, 02:01:55 AM »
Benji back to his roots

:rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #49939 on: January 26, 2020, 02:19:14 AM »
posting garbage?

shosta

« Reply #49940 on: January 26, 2020, 02:27:34 AM »
Bill Kristol is running these ads now apparently :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #49941 on: January 26, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »

shosta

« Reply #49942 on: January 26, 2020, 02:35:12 AM »
Rumor has it Pence has never been in a room alone with a woman his entire adult life. Not even to conceive his children.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #49943 on: January 26, 2020, 02:36:15 AM »
This is Kristol's new organization that's behind it and his other ventures:
https://www.defendingdemocracytogether.org/
Through research, education and grassroots activism, Defending Democracy Together is fighting abuses of power that threaten to undermine the integrity of U.S. elections, federal agencies, and the Republican Party as a whole. We aim to elevate voices across the conservative political spectrum who advocate for these principles. We hope Americans on the Left, Right, and Center will join us.

benjipwns

« Reply #49944 on: January 26, 2020, 02:38:10 AM »
Rumor has it Pence has never been in a room alone with a woman his entire adult life. Not even to conceive his children.
When Mike Pence met Ronald Reagan he was afraid of Reagan getting too handsy and couldn't look him in the eye:

benjipwns

« Reply #49945 on: January 26, 2020, 02:44:11 AM »
Why can't I find a picture of Mike Pence and Dennis Hastert? IIRC, Pence was one of his biggest defenders.

Another Clinton Media Cover Up!

shosta

« Reply #49946 on: January 26, 2020, 02:47:26 AM »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #49947 on: January 26, 2020, 02:49:13 AM »
Why can't I find a picture of Mike Pence and Dennis Hastert? IIRC, Pence was one of his biggest defenders.

Another Clinton Media Cover Up!

Is it just me or is he looking right past him, too?
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #49948 on: January 26, 2020, 02:52:17 AM »
are you suggesting that Mike Pence has never made eye contact with anyone? that's how much of a true conservative he is?

shosta

« Reply #49949 on: January 26, 2020, 02:53:04 AM »
That's exactly what I'm suggesting.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #49950 on: January 26, 2020, 02:55:51 AM »
Where's Kara to advise us on creating a 501c4 when we need him.

shosta

每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #49952 on: January 26, 2020, 02:57:26 AM »
That sounds nothing like me. Try harder, kid.
in banbot's absence, it is worth pointing out that an endorsement by a podcaster seemingly has more weight than the nyt's, to the point that redditors are claiming they'll vote for bernie to own the libs

benjipwns

« Reply #49953 on: January 26, 2020, 03:52:47 AM »
poll dates are 1/21-1/23

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #49954 on: January 26, 2020, 03:57:27 AM »
Y'all talk about Pompeo's impromptu European geography lesson for Mary Louise Kelly yet? What a straight up asshole.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1220913184141455360

:pimp

:9

benjipwns

« Reply #49955 on: January 26, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »
Y'all talk about Pompeo's impromptu European geography lesson for Mary Louise Kelly yet? What a straight up asshole.
https://www.state.gov/statement-by-secretary-michael-r-pompeo/
NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly lied to me, twice. First, last month, in setting up our interview and, then again yesterday, in agreeing to have our post-interview conversation off the record. It is shameful that this reporter chose to violate the basic rules of journalism and decency. This is another example of how unhinged the media has become in its quest to hurt President Trump and this Administration. It is no wonder that the American people distrust many in the media when they so consistently demonstrate their agenda and their absence of integrity.

It is worth noting that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine.
I nominate the last line for new thread title.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #49956 on: January 26, 2020, 04:04:35 AM »
NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly lied to me, twice. First, last month, in setting up our interview and, then again yesterday, in agreeing to have our post-interview conversation off the record. It is shameful that this reporter chose to violate the basic rules of journalism and decency. This is another example of how unhinged the media has become in its quest to hurt President Trump and this Administration. It is no wonder that the American people distrust many in the media when they so consistently demonstrate their agenda and their absence of integrity.

Was reading an article deconstructing the statement by Pompeo and how gaslighting that Kelly wrongly pointed to Bangladesh would be impossible for someone of her intelligence and college experience seeing as they're pretty much across the world fr eachother. He must have been seething as he fat fingered hammered out that response.

BisMarckie

« Reply #49957 on: January 26, 2020, 04:28:14 AM »

I nominate the last line for new thread title.

Bangladesh IS Serbia :ufup

benjipwns

« Reply #49958 on: January 26, 2020, 04:30:13 AM »
filler's posting isn't working:

benjipwns

« Reply #49959 on: January 26, 2020, 04:47:36 AM »
Bangladesh IS Serbia :ufup
Obviously, naming places that are Serbia is redundant, they're Serbia. That doesn't mean they're Ukraine. Those are lies that need to be corrected.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49960 on: January 26, 2020, 06:56:40 AM »
Pence only has one true love
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
With that said. Trump could've picked a worse VP. Mike Pence seems mostly involved with NASA, space things, going to (international) meetings that interfere with Trump's golf schedule and of course religion.

With the Kushner history with Chris Christie the  shortlist was Mike Pence, Lt. of the Cyber Army Mike "Lock 'er up" Flynn or Newt Gingrich. :doge
Manafort put in quite a bit of work with the Trump kids to get Trump to like Pence so he wouldn't pick Gingrich.  :lol

Can you imagine Donald Trump and Newt 'Moonbase' Gingrich.

Trump wanted Rudy for Secretary of State or Attorney General. But Rudy didn't want either of those jobs citing his age and health reasons.
Oh and it was Ann Coulter of all people who told Trump he couldn't just assign all the top government positions to his children.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:01:22 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Himu

« Reply #49961 on: January 26, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
Ah, John Kerry. The first president I voted for and the first time I was ever disappointed by an election result.

I cried hard that night.

I really wanted Dean to win and was bewildered by his freak out. But at least Obama's speech at the DNC was amazing.

Ah, the days when I was a loyal literal card holding member in my pocket Democrat.

:whatisthis
IYKYK

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #49962 on: January 26, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
Dean scream wouldn't even register today. Hell, he'd of campaign and get donations because of it. "Oh, he's that passionate! etc, etc."

Himu

« Reply #49963 on: January 26, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »
I was so confused by the sudden turn around on Dean after the scream because it was the first election I really paid attention to.

Now it wouldn't even make a blip. Crazy.

I also saw Fahrenheit 911 in theaters and was a Michael Moore fan. :doge
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #49964 on: January 26, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
I was also a really enthusiastic Dean supporter.

Sometimes I chuckle imagining a world in which we spent all of 2005-2007 loudly and angrily proclaiming that Dean Would Have Won, telling Kerry to shut up and go away every time he said something, and digging up out-of-context Kerry quotes to present in the most unfavorable light possible and demanding, "IS THIS YOUR KING, NEOGAF?"

But, you know, instead we moved on like adults.

Well, when Kerry was up for SOS nomiation everyone wanted him to go away and the kerry he rode in on.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49965 on: January 26, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »
Dean scream wouldn't even register today. Hell, he'd of campaign and get donations because of it. "Oh, he's that passionate! etc, etc."
Oh it would register alright. But it would equally be defended.

Dean the Scream
Screamin Dean
Howard the Blowhard

:trumps
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #49967 on: January 26, 2020, 05:41:36 PM »
🚀!?

Burn it all down.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #49968 on: January 26, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »

I dunno, it's still not clear why it registered then. It's one of those things that arbitrarily hits a chord for some reason.
ὕβρις

shosta

每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #49970 on: January 26, 2020, 05:46:56 PM »
🚀!?

Burn it all down.

People held in detention centers reportedly having to drink water from latrines 💩
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #49971 on: January 26, 2020, 06:21:51 PM »
The Dean Scream didn't register then. It was the signal of his collapse being total not the start.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49972 on: January 26, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1221563503921762306

🚀💥 🤕

🎖️👋🏻 👌🏻👍🏻 📱 🤵🏼 💪 👳
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:50:03 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Rman

« Reply #49973 on: January 26, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »

LOL at the comments.

kingv

« Reply #49974 on: January 26, 2020, 09:50:46 PM »
The Dean Scream didn't register then. It was the signal of his collapse being total not the start.

I read some Howard Dean interview maybe 2 years ago, he seems like kind of a strange dude.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #49975 on: January 26, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »
John Bolton's moustache inadvertently tickling the balls of justice

benjipwns

« Reply #49976 on: January 26, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/26/andrew-yang-new-hampshire-primary-debate-104901
After failing to qualify for a debate in Iowa earlier this month, Yang has earned a spot at the next Democratic primary debate, in New Hampshire on Feb. 7.

Yang is the seventh candidate to qualify for the debate — which will be hosted by ABC News, WMUR-TV and Apple News — joining Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, Tom Steyer and Elizabeth Warren, according to POLITICO’s tracking of public polling and donor data.
UGH MY PRECIOUS TIME

benjipwns

« Reply #49977 on: January 26, 2020, 11:06:54 PM »
 :drudge BREAKING :drudge

(CNN)Bernie Sanders said in 1994 that he agreed the country needed "some more jails" and that it must be "tougher in certain instances" on crime.

The then-congressman from Vermont made the comments during a news conference in which he explained his support for the now-controversial 1994 crime bill. His remarks, video of which was obtained by CNN's KFile from CCTV-Center for Media & Democracy, a Vermont public access station, sheds light on Sanders' support of the now more controversial elements of the bill, and his reservations about other aspects.

Sanders more recently has described the bill as "terrible" and says he is sorry he voted for it, but his view at the time was that although the bill "isn't perfect," he viewed it as "a major step forward in controlling and preventing crime."

"If you look at the issue of prevention versus punishment, if you like, I would've put more effort on prevention," said Sanders in 1994.

"If you keep kids in school, if you get jobs for young people, in the long run, not only do you prevent crime, but you save the taxpayers substantial sums of money," Sanders said, "Would I rather invest in education and keeping kids in school and making college opportunity a realistic goal for millions of young people rather than necessarily building one more jail. Yeah. I think I would have gone the other way."

"On the other hand, do I think we need some more jails? Yup. Do I think we have to get tougher in certain instances? Yes, I do," Sanders said. "So what you have is a balance here. You have more money going to law enforcement, more money going into jails. You have, on the other hand, significant sums of money going into prevention, beginning to allow us to deal with violence against women, child abuse and other very serious problems," Sanders said.

Amy for America accepts your apologies, donations and votes.

benjipwns

« Reply #49978 on: January 26, 2020, 11:09:46 PM »
A source tells the BSFile that Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders had an off-the-record conversation years ago in which Biden mentioned war crimes occurring in the Balkans and Bernie replied "Ha! Let a most Christian God sort 'em out."

After being told about it, The BenjiSalesFile has been able to confirm that, multiple sources indicated that they were aware of the conversation.

benjipwns

« Reply #49979 on: January 26, 2020, 11:13:57 PM »
The only strange thing I recall about Dean was how he wanted all those Governor files sealed for centuries even though they were just random correspondence with constituents, etc.