Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5432845 times)

Himu

Re: US Politics Thread |OT| Hillary Clinton revanchists at it again
« Reply #50100 on: January 28, 2020, 07:39:54 AM »
The Team Trump argument is really not that Trump didn't do anything wrong, but impeachment itself shouldn't be a thing that is allowed to happen

It's so baffling.
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #50101 on: January 28, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/HondaWang/status/1220846280496336897

Wax on wax off?

I see they got Meryl Streep for the role of "sensei". Which religion is "sensei"?

Occam

« Reply #50102 on: January 28, 2020, 07:43:45 AM »
The Team Trump argument is really not that Trump didn't do anything wrong, but impeachment itself shouldn't be a thing that is allowed to happen

It's so baffling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Jury nullification (US) or a perverse verdict (UK)[1][2] generally occurs when members of a criminal trial jury believe that a defendant is guilty, but choose to acquit the defendant anyway because the jurors also believe that the law itself is unjust,[3][4] that the prosecutor has misapplied the law in the defendant's case,[5] or that the potential punishment for breaking the law is too harsh. Some juries have also refused to convict due to their own prejudices in favour of the defendant.[6]
Nullification is not an official part of criminal procedure

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #50103 on: January 28, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
Bonnie Myotai Treace is a Zen priest, the founder and teacher of Hermitage Heart, and was the abbot of the Zen Center of NYC; she leads training in Black Mountain, North Carolina. She is particularly known for her work in women's spirituality, poetry, and the nexus of mind and environment. Myotai Sensei was the first Dharma successor of John Daido Loori, Roshi, in the Mountains and Rivers Order, having received shiho, dharma transmission, from him in 1996. Serving and training for over two decades eventually as vice-abbot of Zen Mountain Monastery, she was the establishing teacher and first abbess of the Zen Center of New York City. At the Monastery she was the Vice Abbot, the first director of Dharma Communications, editor of Mountain Record, and in charge of the affiliates of the Mountains and Rivers Order.

Treace holds an advanced degree in literature, was a lobbyist for women's issues, and an analyst with the Potomac Research Institute specializing in hydromechanics.

In 2016 Myotai gave shiho or dharma transmission to Phil Sengetsu Kolman, Sensei, and named John Kyoman Weiczorek as Dharma Steward of Hermitage Heart.

Treace is the author of several books, among them: "Winter Moon: A Season of Zen," and "Empty Branches." She's also had chapters in "Water: Its Spiritual Significance" (Vons Fitae Press), The Art of Just Sitting: Essential Writings on the Zen Practice of Shikantaza, and "Lotus Moon: The Poetry of Rengetsu", along with many other writings. Myotai's teachings have appeared in various Buddhist publications, including Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Quarterly, The Mountain Record and in several editions of The Best Buddhist Writing. She is a member of the American Zen Teachers Association.

Himu

« Reply #50104 on: January 28, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »

Two things stuck out to me about the GOP arguments tonight.

1) one of the lawyers said that the impeachment articles did not even allege a crime, and thus this wasn’t a valid impeachment, then that same lawyer, in the same speech read a passage from the impeachment articles that said something about this being a crime.

2) Ultimately, they seem to be saying this is not a valid impeachment because it doesn’t allege a violation of US criminal code. This is effectively saying that Congress and the courts have literally no power over the President as long as he doesn’t violate A criminal law. He can violate regulations and laws passed by Congress with impunity, with no recourse as long as he can find somebody to do it for him. That’s an insane point of view.

Made all the more :what by two of the members of the defense team having the exact opposite opinions on impeachment during the Clinton trial.

And then they said there's no evidence to convict but won't allow more evidence.

It's so transparent.
IYKYK

benjipwns

kingv

« Reply #50106 on: January 28, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »
I have this insane anxiety that Sanders is gonna end up getting the nomination and Trump wins again OR Literally anyone else gets it and Trump still wins because of Bernie holdouts not voting or voting for Trump due to insanity. I’m doing a write in vote and then checking myself into the mental hospital election week. It’s 2016 all over again.

I don’t get the Sanders anxiety. He’s polled to beat trump consistently since 2015. The only other candidate you can say that for is Biden.

Biden is the one that makes me the most nervous, because even though he polls well, his primary strategy seems to be to hide from the public eye and coast on name recognition. Good luck with that strategy in the general.

Himu

« Reply #50107 on: January 28, 2020, 08:09:20 AM »
I have this insane anxiety that Sanders is gonna end up getting the nomination and Trump wins again OR Literally anyone else gets it and Trump still wins because of Bernie holdouts not voting or voting for Trump due to insanity. I’m doing a write in vote and then checking myself into the mental hospital election week. It’s 2016 all over again.

I don’t get the Sanders anxiety. He’s polled to beat trump consistently since 2015. The only other candidate you can say that for is Biden.

Biden is the one that makes me the most nervous, because even though he polls well, his primary strategy seems to be to hide from the public eye and coast on name recognition. Good luck with that strategy in the general.

His campaign is also keeping his lid tight. He rarely speaks at interviews or gives public addresses. It's mostly private donors. He's running with the same exact strategy Hillary did.

If Biden gets the nom, Trump will win, and the Democrats will refuse to self reflect...again.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #50108 on: January 28, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
no need to self-reflect if bernie manages to lose to hillary clinton and joe fucking biden back to back?

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #50109 on: January 28, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »
no need to self-reflect if bernie manages to lose to hillary clinton and joe fucking biden back to back?

:existential

Himu

« Reply #50110 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »

Please don't do this! :stop
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #50111 on: January 28, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
I'm not worried, Terry McAuliffe will be coming off his second term then and ready to team up with Gavin Newsom for a bold new era of redistributing the means of production.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #50112 on: January 28, 2020, 08:41:33 AM »
Of course Bernie would win against the Eastern Conference champion AFC champion Republican nominee, he's just had some bad luck early in the bracket, running into competitors who are tough matchups for his style of play. If the Dems changed the rules to re-seed each round this wouldn't be an issue, plus the refs aren't exactly helping.

benjipwns

« Reply #50113 on: January 28, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
Bernie had a heart attack, if he was fully healthy, the matchups would be completely different.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #50114 on: January 28, 2020, 08:46:34 AM »
Bernie had a heart attack, if he was at full health...

Pre-Crisis Bernie would be polling at like 75%.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50115 on: January 28, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
The Trumps and the Republicans are just too good at this game.
https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1222126462347681793

Ted Cruz now has the most popular podcast on iTunes
https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/01/27/ted-cruz-podcast-105808

The podcast, titled “Verdict with Ted Cruz” features Cruz and Michael Knowles, a conservative political commentator, and is taped at the end of the Senate impeachment trial every day, even if that means 2 a.m. So far, it’s had more than 500,000 downloads and has even earned a retweet from Trump promoting it. It’s now the number one podcast on iTunes, surpassing “The Joe Rogan Experience” and the New York Times’ “The Daily.”
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:54:22 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50116 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
https://twitter.com/HondaWang/status/1220846280496336897

Wax on wax off?

Sad to see Tilda Swinton getting replaced by Meryl Streep in the next Dr. Strange movie.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50117 on: January 28, 2020, 09:00:06 AM »
1984 is childs play compared to these bois.
Ep. 6 - The Bolton Bombshell
Verdict with Ted Cruz

A leak from John Bolton’s leak throws impeachment into chaos, President Trump’s legal team comes out swinging, and Senator Cruz sends at least one reporter up a wall.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #50118 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
One thing about Trump/Biden is imagine how many candidates there's going to be next time between the two parties.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50119 on: January 28, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
Is a mock caucus like the dress rehearsal?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50120 on: January 28, 2020, 09:30:45 AM »
One thing about Trump/Biden is imagine how many candidates there's going to be next time between the two parties.
Cruz/Rogan - Constitutionalists

Jones/Stone - GOP

Don/Ivanka - Trump Party

Chelsea/Michelle - Democrats - arrested

Kanye/Kanye - Evangelicals

Snoop/Oprah - Greens

Like in Putin's Russia you'll have controlled opposition  :aah
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:37:36 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50121 on: January 28, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »
Some Democratic National Committee (DNC) members and supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) are venting frustration at DNC Chairman Tom Perez over his initial appointments to the committees that will oversee the rules and party platform at the nominating convention in Milwaukee later this year.

Sanders’s allies are incensed by two names in particular: former Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), who will co-chair the rules committee, and Hillary Clinton’s former campaign chairman John Podesta, who will have a seat on that committee.

The Sanders campaign unsuccessfully sought to have Frank removed from the rules committee in 2016, describing him as an “aggressive attack surrogate for the Clinton campaign.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/480174-sanders-allies-in-new-uproar-over-dnc-convention-appointments

Fucking bernie bros.

The Sanders campaign did not respond to a request for comment, but national co-chair Nina Turner blasted the appointments in an interview with progressive online news channel Status Coup, calling it “an embarrassment” and a “slap in the face.”

“If the DNC believes it’s going to get away in 2020 with what it did in 2016, it has another thing coming,” Turner said.

:awesome

benjipwns

« Reply #50122 on: January 28, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »

SOMEBODY STOP HIM

benjipwns

« Reply #50123 on: January 28, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/28/bloomberg-progressives-leftists-2020-dnc-106712
Bloomberg's rise sets off alarms on the left
Fearful he's avoiding scrutiny, progressives are pressing the DNC to change its debate rules so Bloomberg would be forced to confront his rivals.
Progressive allies of Elizabeth Warren have approached the Democratic National Committee to lobby for an unusual cause: including billionaire Mike Bloomberg in upcoming presidential primary debates.

The move, described to POLITICO by a co-founder of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, reflects the desire of liberal activists to pin down the former New York mayor, who has avoided verbal combat with his opponents by waging a self-funded campaign that plays by its own rules. But the entreaty also speaks to progressives' growing unease with Bloomberg's relative success: After spending hundreds of millions of dollars, he has vaulted into double digits in national polls and amassed a giant staff of A-level operatives.
Bloomberg has risen steadily in national polls, surpassing Pete Buttigieg and nearly doubling Amy Klobuchar’s standing. On Monday, Bloomberg eclipsed Klobuchar in congressional endorsements, with many of the supporters arguing he’s uniquely positioned to beat Trump in the swing states Democrats need to recapture the White House.

"I'd be fine with him being on the debate stage because I think that instead of just putting your money out there, he's actually got to be on the stage, and be able to go back and forth so that voters can evaluate him in that way," Klobuchar told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Tuesday, when asked about POLITICO's reporting.

"I think he could have done it if he wanted to get some donors, and if he wanted to be on the ballot in the early states, but he didn't want to do that," Klobuchar said. "So that means you have to wait until the Super Tuesday time. But I don't know when that debate is scheduled, but there better be one."

Adam Green, of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, said he approached the DNC last month to talk about including Bloomberg in future debates. Bloomberg’s polling meets the party’s criteria for inclusion, but his refusal to raise money from outside donors — even in minuscule increments — means he can’t meet the qualifying threshold. Green proposed altering the rules so that Bloomberg would be included.

“Imagine a hypothetical world where Bloomberg bought himself 30 percent and he’s the frontrunner in the polls. Would you really not think voters would want to hear what he has to say and see him get some scrutiny on the debate stage?” Green asked.
:rofl

benjipwns

« Reply #50124 on: January 28, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
Even with his record ad spending, which reached $270 million on Monday
holy fucking shit

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50125 on: January 28, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
That's some AAA trump-esque reverse psychology.

Next week: DNC propeses pledge signing.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #50126 on: January 28, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
I'd managed to avoid direct political advertising from the primaries until Bloomberg started buying spots on the LeBatard podcast.

Trurl

« Reply #50127 on: January 28, 2020, 10:56:29 AM »
Jesus, I had no idea that Bloomberg was worth 60 billion dollars.  I assumed it was more like 8 billion.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50128 on: January 28, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
What position would bloomberg play in bernie's cabinet?

benjipwns

« Reply #50129 on: January 28, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »
What position would bloomberg play in bernie's cabinet?
Blood for the Blood God.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #50130 on: January 28, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
Where is Bloomberg’s rise coming from? Buttigieg’s decline isn’t that large and all the other moderates have been relatively stable.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50131 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
Where is Bloomberg’s rise coming from? Buttigieg’s decline isn’t that large and all the other moderates have been relatively stable.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
🤴

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #50132 on: January 28, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah but just looking at polls it isn’t immediately apparent. Biden is pretty much the same as before Bloomberg entered the race, which is unfortunate.

Hmm actually I think I underestimated how much Buttigieg is tanking.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #50133 on: January 28, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
Jesus, I had no idea that Bloomberg was worth 60 billion dollars.  I assumed it was more like 8 billion.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222184371932798976
©@©™

Trurl

« Reply #50134 on: January 28, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
Yeah, with a quick comparison it looks like he made 30 billion dollars the last 3 years.

So if he were to spend 2 billion dollars it would be like buying a 20K car after getting 300K dollars.  Except the car is a national election.  Holy shit.

And even that's really misleading because of marginal utility of money in regards to effecting his quality of life (at his point it's zero) and the nature of wealth.  It's literally nothing to him.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #50135 on: January 28, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

Just tons of positive ads and buying as much as space as possible. Same thing with Steyer. My brother mentioned that he likes Steyer and I was what the fuck, how do you even know him. Then I took a vacation and stayed at a hotel with cable and realized that there's Setter/Bloomberg ads on pretty much every channel.

But you wouldn't even know this unless you were still an active TV viewer

El Babua

« Reply #50136 on: January 28, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
I'd managed to avoid direct political advertising from the primaries until Bloomberg started buying spots on the LeBatard podcast.

Living in Florida, I've been seeing his ads during every fucking sports game.

Even then, I was surprised af to listen to his ad on the LeBatard podcast considering ESPN's "No Politics" rule in place. I guess the local hour isn't under network jurisdiction lol

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50138 on: January 28, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
Is he salty he's not the end game?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #50139 on: January 28, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »
He's a fame whore and wants to be written into the drama

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50140 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »
Oh jesus, Trump throws in the Peace Plan plot too.

- Jerusalem remains capital of Israel, because he has already done that anyway  :lol
- Settlement Freeze
- 2 state solution  :o
- Palestinians get double the land they control now
- Tunnel connecting Gaza to West Bank
- Creation of Palestinian state within the next 4 years
- Map of proposed borders to be published soon
- Jordan and Israel to ensure worshippers can visit the Al [inaudible] Mosque
- $50 billion investment for Palestine and 1 million new jobs
- Deal supported by all neighboring countries

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1222210747884765184
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:37:09 PM by Nintex »
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #50141 on: January 28, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
america's mayor :salute

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50142 on: January 28, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
He's a fame whore and wants to be written into the drama

I also suspect he's an unhinged drunk.
I recall a recent interview late last year, in which he met a reporter, had like 2 - 4  bloody mary's in an hour,
forgot one of his 5 phones (the driver joked that happened all the time) and then gave the reporter a lift home.
In the car they noticed a couple sitting on a bench and Rudy said something to the effect of:
"Look at them, when I was the mayor we took great care of the homeless"

:lol

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50143 on: January 28, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »
And there's the map

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222224528065155072

Reminds me of the map of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #50144 on: January 28, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »
So...is there any chance Palestine accepts this and Jared Kushner's three year mission isn't a bust?
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50146 on: January 28, 2020, 01:49:02 PM »
So...is there any chance Palestine accepts this and Jared Kushner's three year mission isn't a bust?
Well, they could accept it in principle, take the cash on the table and drag this out for 4 years until the next President wants to make peace with a new plan.
But it seems that they will reject it.

In that case Israel and maybe Egypt will implement the peace plan themselves but probably with a less favorable outcome for Abbas. He could lose the High Tech DLC zone for example.
It was Al Sissi that wanted Israel to encircle the Gaza strip for the "security" of Egypt. Back in May MBS had already offered Abbas $10 billion to accept any plan before there was a plan.

Bibi will fly to Moscow now to get the green light from Vladimir Putin as well.

Who knows Trump might drone bomb Abbas if he doesn't sign. Maybe he'll drone bomb him anyway. Stay tuned.  :trumps
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50147 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
trump sounded jealous of that standing ovation. :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50148 on: January 28, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/1222229673784107008

this is again that scene from The Phantom Menace.
Where everyone is very confused about what the hell just happened but the frog people leader says: "PEACE!" and Jar Jar Binks yells in the background: "MESA FREEEE!!"

https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/1222216373016895488

The gang annexes
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1222227271689416704

Bibi in Moscow tonight: "Heya Puts, I'm gonna annex these settlements"
Putin: "Save some for me bro!"
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:11:22 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50149 on: January 28, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
Sekulow saying good lawyers show the whole tesminony and not specific parts.

Ironic.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50150 on: January 28, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »
Bibi in a week: "Well our tanks got shot at with deadly bricks so we accidentally annexed everything and Egypt was very helpful in containing Gaza"
Trump: "Well you know, there was a deal they didn't take it. These are not nice people they were dealing with you know. But what can you do?"

These guys

https://twitter.com/edokonrad/status/1222217653097500672

Palestine doesn't like it

Remember this guy?
https://twitter.com/UnaHajdari/status/1222210821037740034
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:35:50 PM by Nintex »
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #50151 on: January 28, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
Filler...

每天生气

Himu

« Reply #50152 on: January 28, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
*blushes at that image*
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50153 on: January 28, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »
filler

I hardly know 'er!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes pls
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #50154 on: January 28, 2020, 03:21:26 PM »
:ego Yes, it's me again, the knower of worrisome things! I will continue to know and worry about the things that no one else will! :ego
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #50155 on: January 28, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »
Who TF is Xena
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #50156 on: January 28, 2020, 03:36:04 PM »
a "tech culture blogger" named jennifer something that changed her name to sound more ethnic. i remember she used to go on the leo laporte show back when people still cared about his stuff.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50157 on: January 28, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #50158 on: January 28, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
Jardin prefers the name "Xeni Jardin" over her given name.[1] "Xeni" is short for "Xeniflores," while "jardin" is the Spanish and French word for "garden."

:cac
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #50159 on: January 28, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
Sorry. Xeni I mean. :hitler
IYKYK