Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5453216 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Nola

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Weekly Trump Scandal Hot Takes
« Reply #6901 on: June 18, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
Uh, he really just wants to make money off this whole presidency thing, doesn't he

Not all that far fetched of a hypothesis I think.

I mean... yeah ? It seemed pretty obvious from the get go. What's crazy (and maybe more alarming than the Russia suspicions) is how easy he is getting away with naked grafting and nepotism while in office, on top of the millions he could probably make in book deals and speaking fees as a former President (which in abstract are maybe debatable practices on their own) provided he don't fuck it up royally.

Dude is parading world leaders, the nuclear briefcase and ordering bombings on brown people around a piece of amazing chocolate cake for the entertainment of the patrons of his expensive golf club in Florida, which he plugs constantly on TV.

EDIT : you can add this to his geek crate and gofundme

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/876515868120948737

Though I understand it's not too unusual for the US.

Yeah it is probably one of my biggest surprises in how the country's attention has ended up taking shape. Party politics and publicly.

I knew Russia would remain big, but I honestly thought, given the election and all these eye rolling thought pieces about Trump and the "economic malaise" of the Trump working class voter, along with Bernie, that the conflict of interest/emoluments angle and corruption would be a much bigger focus as time went on.

FStop7

« Reply #6902 on: June 19, 2017, 03:31:09 AM »
Ted was there to ask Palmer to port JFK Reloaded to Oculus for Father's Day.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6903 on: June 19, 2017, 02:49:41 PM »
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-us-panama-canal-doing-well

“The Panama Canal is doing quite well,” Trump said, sitting with Varela for a photo opportunity. “I think we did a good job building it, right?”

“Yeah. A hundred years ago,” Varela said.

“We did a very good job,” Trump continued, speaking over Varela. “But things are going well in Panama.”
:lol
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6904 on: June 19, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
A man, a plan, anal. Panama!
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6905 on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
It's another "Rural resentment fueled Trump votes" piece but there's a couple of quotes I found arresting :

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/19/americas-great-fallout-rural-areas-resent-cities-republican-democrat
Observers wonder when “these people” will wake up and realise that Trump does not have their interests at heart. But rural folks have gotten used to a system that does not have their interests at heart.

In fact, the Trump supporters I spent time with in rural communities don’t seem to believe that even their president is going to do much for them.

The Monday morning after the 2016 election, in a gas station in a logging town in north-west Wisconsin, I asked a group of retired and working men what they thought Trump would do to help them.

Ron, a logger, replied: “Nothing. Nothing. We’re used to living in poverty, we’re used to it. It ain’t never going to change. How many times we got to tell you that? But you don’t listen.”

He told me the country had to try something different, even if it wasn’t going to help his town.

(...)

The Downtown Athletic Club had told me essentially the same thing several days earlier when I’d asked how Trump would improve life. “We’re not sure” and “nobody knows” were two of the answers.
ὕβρις

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6906 on: June 19, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
People need to stop wondering when "these people" will get it. Just write them off and focus on getting 3rd party voters and people who would vote in a sane manner but sit on their asses to the polls. Fuck the morons.
yar

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6907 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politics/jason-chaffetz-trump-obama-administration/index.html

"The reality is, sadly, I don't see much difference between the Trump administration and the Obama administration," (...) "In many ways, it's almost worse because we're getting nothing, and that's terribly frustrating and, with all due respect, the attorney general has not changed at all," he added. "I find him to be worse than what I saw with Loretta Lynch in terms of releasing documents and making things available. I just, that's my experience, and that's not what I expected."

:trumps :ohyou
ὕβρις

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6908 on: June 19, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
lol fuck that punk
püp

Nola

« Reply #6910 on: June 19, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »
Ossoff vs Handel is tomorrow, and we will find out who is right, and who is dead.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've been trying really hard not to get my hopes up, but an Ossoff loss will probably break me a little.
[close]
I hope the left is not pinning all their hopes on this race. That seems a bit silly.

For one we are a year away before elections. Two, the overall baseline shift in these special elections is a much better barometer then any single race IMO. And that trend is pretty encouraging if you are looking for Democratic gains.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-are-overperforming-in-special-elections-almost-everywhere/

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6911 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:28 PM »
Spicer out lol

bluemax

« Reply #6912 on: June 19, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
Uh, he really just wants to make money off this whole presidency thing, doesn't he

There was an article the other day talking about how much money the golf courses and hotels he has frequented are making now that he is president.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6913 on: June 19, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »

There was an article the other day talking about how much money the golf courses and hotels he has frequented are making now that he is president.

Isn't he also frequently hosting state events at his own properties, charging the government for the usage, as well as bumping rates higher at those properties?

That fucker is 10 lbs. of shit in a 5 lb. bag.

bluemax

« Reply #6914 on: June 19, 2017, 11:58:01 PM »
He's just a man of the people.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6916 on: June 20, 2017, 03:21:25 AM »

Isn't he also frequently hosting state events at his own properties, charging the government for the usage, as well as bumping rates higher at those properties?

That fucker is 10 lbs. of shit in a 5 lb. bag.
Maralago membership jumped from $100k to $200k after he won if memory serves.
Hi

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6917 on: June 20, 2017, 04:34:35 AM »
how likely is a US war with NK?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6918 on: June 20, 2017, 05:41:14 AM »
Still think it's super unlikely.

Now, the likelihood of the US gradually being drawn deeper and deeper into the Syria shit? Getting a bit worried about that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6919 on: June 20, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon said that White House briefings were increasingly being held off-camera because “Sean got fatter,” referring to White House press secretary Sean Spicer, The Atlantic reported Tuesday.

:what
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6920 on: June 20, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
:lol treating the press secretary like a miss universe contestant. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6921 on: June 20, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
:lol treating the press secretary like a miss universe contestant.

When men lose jobs due to their weight it's all a joke, but when women lose jobs due to their weight it's discrimination/sexism/patriarchy.

Etoilet Was Right.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6922 on: June 20, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
No one wants a porky press secretary in either of the eight genders. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6923 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
I could see Ossoff losing today solely because Dems made Pelosi the House caucus leader again.

Really wishing we had some unknown as House minority leader right now.

If Ossoff loses, let me tell you why he lost: he's running in a very Republican district. The end. I've lived close to that district my entire life. It's largely populated with people that don't want to vote for democrats. Nancy Pelosi is a convenient punching bag for them, but she's just that, and if it wasn't her it would be Chuck Schumer, or "Pocahantas" Warren, or [insert liberal boogeyman here].
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6924 on: June 20, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »
Whoever wins, if it's as close as the polls suggest, that's a huge swing towards the Democratic candidate in that district.

If Ossoff loses, gonna be so much hyperventilation though.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6925 on: June 20, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »
Pelosi embodies a certain type of politician that many people hate.  Wealthy family, got her job through nepotism, in a safe district where she'll never be challenged. Job for life and no accountability.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6926 on: June 20, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
nah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6927 on: June 20, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
Saying any of the top positions in the house, either majority or minority have no accountability is pretty silly.  They are the jobs which get the spotlight - which is exactly the reason why we are talking about Pelosi and not any of the other seats that hold someone from a wealthy family that got the job though nepotism and comes from a safe district. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6928 on: June 20, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »
Pelosi embodies a certain type of politician that many people hate.  Wealthy family, got her job through nepotism, in a safe district where she'll never be challenged. Job for life and no accountability.

Also is a liberal, coming to take your guns, hates freedom, lock her up.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6929 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »
Barring a major polling error, Ossoff will have likely outperformed Clinton in the district and far surpassed previous Democratic showings against Price. That would continue a pattern in previous—far less expensive—special elections in Kansas and Montana, and in a larger sample of state legislative races. Almost every race so far, expensive or not, tells a similar story: Democrats are doing much better in Republican districts now than they did last fall.

That’s the lesson; the rest is noise.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6930 on: June 20, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
how likely is a US war with NK?

There's a link to a podcast about North Korea in the international politics thread that adress the issue.
To paraphrase, it is not very likely unless / until someone fucks it up.
In short :
The USA knows that NK can bring a ton of artillery to bear on Seoul in minutes.
NK knows that initiating hostilities will start a war they can't win.
The plan outlined in North Korean propaganda (the one for domestic audiences) is to ultimately call the USA bluff by escalating on their nuclear capabilities and force them to retreat from the current very extensive guarantee while simultaneously not scaring off South Koreans away from the "Sunshine policy". Then hopefully to start a political process for Korean reunification that they hope to impose on their terms.

Like all such plans, it works fine on paper by assuming everyone is rational to an extent.
ὕβρις

FStop7

« Reply #6931 on: June 20, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
I could see Ossoff losing today solely because Dems made Pelosi the House caucus leader again.

Really wishing we had some unknown as House minority leader right now.

If Ossoff loses, let me tell you why he lost: he's running in a very Republican district. The end. I've lived close to that district my entire life. It's largely populated with people that don't want to vote for democrats. Nancy Pelosi is a convenient punching bag for them, but she's just that, and if it wasn't her it would be Chuck Schumer, or "Pocahantas" Warren, or [insert liberal boogeyman here].

GA's 6th district is mid 6 figure rednecks in 4,000 square foot houses who moan about how oppressed they are.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6932 on: June 20, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
Sounds exactly like where my parents live (except it's in SC).  :doge

FStop7

« Reply #6933 on: June 20, 2017, 06:26:44 PM »
Sounds exactly like where my parents live (except it's in SC).  :doge

Yeah, my parents live in a similar place in Florida.  I visited them last Thanksgiving and I felt like I was in another country.  They've lived there for 20 years and my grandparents lived there since the 70s.  I've been there dozens of times but it never felt so foreign.  People with fat houses, 2 cars, an SUV, a boat or maybe a couple of vintage muscle cars moaning to each other about how bad things are and that it's Obama's fault.   Never seen anything like it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6934 on: June 20, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
Also that special election stuff really looks ridiculous from the outside. I get that it's a potential data point to gauge the upcoming general but the emotional investment has reached hysterical levels. People frantically wiring money (with dubious usefulness) in order to score one for a narrative to help them feel better short term (maybe 48h before Trump makes a clown out of himself again).
ὕβρις

jackbenimble

« Reply #6935 on: June 20, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
the special election matters in a sense but it is being made into a far bigger deal than it is.

Nola

« Reply #6936 on: June 20, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
Also that special election stuff really looks ridiculous from the outside. I get that it's a potential data point to gauge the upcoming general but the emotional investment has reached hysterical levels. People frantically wiring money (with dubious usefulness) in order to score one for a narrative to help them feel better short term (maybe 48h before Trump makes a clown out of himself again).

I mean it is ridiculous, but most things that get voters motivated to stay active seem to be lol.

I'm just old enough to remember all the times the left supposedly got activated only to fall back into complacency or incompetence and blow elections.

Which TBH I feel like has already began to happen to an extent. Just looking at things like the AHCA for example. Now more then ever the left should be concerned over it, but its like the opposite.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6937 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
ossoff appears to have lost, all commit suicide
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6938 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
the special election matters in a sense but it is being made into a far bigger deal than it is.

It's a momentary jolt of "Yeah! Take that, you stupid orange!!" that will last until the GOP or Trump does something awful tomorrow and everyone forgets that this election even happened.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6939 on: June 20, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
He's down 13k votes with maybe 70k or so left to count, he's toast.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6940 on: June 20, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »
I can go back to not caring about elections now until 2018, cool
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6941 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
I can go back to not caring about elections now until 2018, cool

Nah there's VA and NJ governor's elections later this year dog
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6942 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:55 PM »
goddamit
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6943 on: June 20, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »
that's a healthy reaction
püp

agrajag

« Reply #6944 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
GAF in ruins once more. I don't  know if RPGcrazed will make it through the next four years.

etiolate

« Reply #6945 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
Your tribalism has rotted your brain faster than the constant late night drinking.

Trent Dole

« Reply #6946 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:09 PM »
Aside from all the shit Republicans do in office, there are few (political) things more infuriating than a gleeful Republican supporter. These fucking goblins should all come down with syphilis.
Hi

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6947 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:02 PM »
GAF in ruins once more. I don't  know if RPGcrazed will make it through the next four years.
Wow... just wow.

- Trump's incompetence, bigotry, and foolishness
- Russia investigation
- Horrible optics for healthcare, foreign relations, and more
- Huge uproar over climate change, net neutrality
- Horrible relations with the media
- Massive campaign for the district
- Polls showing strong Dem support
- Candidate that was actually smart with liberal plans

Result: Republicans win by more than 5 points!

We are f***ed.

El Babua

« Reply #6948 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:50 PM »
An L is an L. At this point, the Dems need to run a real leftist operation and not be some mealy mouth losers.

You'll thank me in 20 years when we get our Socialist Reagan :smug
[close]

benjipwns

Nola

« Reply #6950 on: June 21, 2017, 01:04:52 AM »
While everyone was paying attention to Georgia, an ex Goldman Sachs Democrat in South Carolina swung a 20 point loss for the party in November to a 3 point loss tonight.

The baseline from 2016 to now is still swinging heavily in the Dems favor. Pretty much everywhere. With pretty much any candidate type so far.

Centrists, Sanders wing candidates, and more conservative candidates have all drastically out performed the baseline in almost every outing.

I am sure the discussion will somehow find its way back to party identity soul searching and people pontificating over if Ossoff had just been a bit more Sanders-esque he could of mobilized turnout more, but the overall trend is actually becoming pretty consistent.

agrajag

« Reply #6951 on: June 21, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »
An L is an L. At this point, the Dems need to run a real leftist operation and not be some mealy mouth losers.

You'll thank me in 20 years when we get our Socialist Reagan :smug
[close]
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/877377172691836928

Already in motion.

Steve Bannon legit looks like a life support helmet that's been sustaining his essence for the last 50 years has been ripped off his face.

Trent Dole

« Reply #6952 on: June 21, 2017, 02:22:10 AM »
James Ellsworth is the pinnacle of humanity. :teehee
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6953 on: June 21, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »
Steve Bannon legit looks like a life support helmet that's been sustaining his essence for the last 50 years has been ripped off his face.

He really does look like an advertisement warning against the ravages of alcoholism.

benjipwns

« Reply #6954 on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:19 AM »
While everyone was paying attention to Georgia, an ex Goldman Sachs Democrat in South Carolina swung a 20 point loss for the party in November to a 3 point loss tonight.
(Image removed from quote.)

The baseline from 2016 to now is still swinging heavily in the Dems favor. Pretty much everywhere. With pretty much any candidate type so far.

Centrists, Sanders wing candidates, and more conservative candidates have all drastically out performed the baseline in almost every outing.

I am sure the discussion will somehow find its way back to party identity soul searching and people pontificating over if Ossoff had just been a bit more Sanders-esque he could of mobilized turnout more, but the overall trend is actually becoming pretty consistent.
Could have been yet another win if they ran someone in favor of the collectivization of agriculture and a renewed down to the countryside movement instead of an alt-right corporatist neoliberal extreme centrist Goldman Sachs bloodsucker.

benjipwns

« Reply #6955 on: June 21, 2017, 03:21:04 AM »
Empty the cities like Pol Pot did. You can't lose all the rural areas if you make all of your voters rural.
:rollsafe

puts poligaf "the rural areas known as suburbs will die off in favor of the urban cities in the long run!" strategy to shame
[close]

FStop7

« Reply #6956 on: June 21, 2017, 03:38:24 AM »
Steve Bannon looks like a corrupted sith lord version of WC Fields.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6957 on: June 21, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
why do white supremacists always look like the biggest and ugliest losers

you're part of the master race but where the fuck is your chin?

They've grown far beyond the need for a jaw line. It's the euphoria.

Strangely enough, it's evolution. Gonna take a while for them to come to terms with this.
rub

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #6958 on: June 21, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
 :neogaf

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6959 on: June 21, 2017, 04:36:01 PM »
It's you, dude, it's you. You oughta look at that

Your argument for getting rid of Pelosi is like a carbon copy of the Bernie bro stance of getting rid of Hillary. Think on that