Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5389721 times)

agrajag

Re: Gold-Plated Trumpmerica Thread |OT| On-time and under-budget
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
I don't know. But the whole "Trump is a super competent businessman that knoes how to run shot better than those dummies in Washington " meme isn't looking too good right now.

And lmao at Ben Carson "I'm not qualified for an office position" after he fucking ran for president. Way to swindle the electorate, guy.

Himu

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »
Right, I read about two advisors being gone already earlier. I thought there was even more fuckery. :doge
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
And lmao at Ben Carson "I'm not qualified for an office position" after he fucking ran for president. Way to swindle the electorate, guy.

lmao i know right?

was it to sell his book?
IYKYK

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
link dufus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-putin-talk-of-strong-and-enduring-relationship-president-elect-prepares-to-meet-today-with-vice-president-to-discuss-cabinet/2016/11/15/081b2f40-ab2f-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_transition-930a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Giuliani "won't be Attorney Genera;" Ben Carson out, Christie (still) out, Christie's clients out, Mike Rogers out, supposed Trump people are saying to GOP, "you guys are trying to insinuate yourselves into the administration…all of YOU LOST."

Himu

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »
Last I heard Giuliani was top pick for secretary of state. Ben Caron's excuse is hilarious. Christie will never not be out probably. I haven't heard about the Trump supporters yet. :lol
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
Christie wants in, but there's no cabinet position for Chief McDonalds Getter.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »
No more cookies for you.

FStop7

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 04:44:04 PM »
Christie wants in, but there's no cabinet position for Chief McDonalds Getter.

How about Chief McDonalds Eater?  :expert

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »

lmao i know right?

was it to sell his book?
I think it just suddenly dawned on Mr sleepyhead that the guy he endorsed is a white nationalist and thus it might be in sleepy's better interest to get as far away from him and his cabinet of neo nazis as soon as possible.
Hi

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
 Carson was just like the other 16 people who wanted to be on tv everyday and tour the country living large on another persons dime.

But when it came to actual governing and responsibility....  :donot
©ZH

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2016, 05:00:39 PM »
Who is this white supremacist you speak of?

agrajag

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 05:03:20 PM »
Hey guys, remember when Hillary tried to appeal to hispanics with that awful abuela pr campaign?  :lol

Himu

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »

uhhhhhhhh

which one
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »

uhhhhhhhh

which one
2016, everybody!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
Not too surprising that they have such a hard time with intelligence / defense advisors, plenty of Republican ones signed an open letter that Trump was unfit and a disaster waiting to happen a few months ago. Though the rumor is that all of Christie affiliates are shunned. Maybe it is all gonna be resolved in due time but it's not too hard to imagine they're hurting for attracting competent politicians. Would you accept to go work for a boss with a bad temper, unconventional opinions, used to get his way and be branded as the dude who worked with a self branded far right ideologue ?
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
We haven't really talked about it yet, but Trump's administration is gonna be so freakin corrupt.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
Ted Cruz reportedly went to Trump tower today to "offer help".  :stahp
Lindsey Graham is still insisting Cruz should be sent to the Supreme Court, presumably to get him away from the Senate forever.
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
Not too surprising that they have such a hard time with intelligence / defense advisors, plenty of Republican ones signed an open letter that Trump was unfit and a disaster waiting to happen a few months ago. Though the rumor is that all of Christie affiliates are shunned. Maybe it is all gonna be resolved in due time but it's not too hard to imagine they're hurting for attracting competent politicians. Would you accept to go work for a boss with a bad temper, unconventional opinions, used to get his way and be branded as the dude who worked with a self branded far right ideologue ?

Counterpoint: would you like to work for the most powerful person on earth, who seems to have relatively few strong viewpoints on policy details and might delegate more power and influence to his advisors than a typical president?

A lot of GOP operatives keeping their distance during the election was premised on the expectation that he'd lose, and he still attracted people who figured they didn't have another path back to relevance (Newt, Rudy, etc). Wondering if more traditional GOP staffers come home, or whether they'll even be allowed to.

PS My dad's had a theory about Cruz wanting a SCOTUS seat since he endorsed Trump. Given how much his fellow Senators like him, it makes a weird amount of sense.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »

Counterpoint: would you like to work for the most powerful person on earth, who seems to have relatively few strong viewpoints on policy details and might delegate more power and influence to his advisors than a typical president?

On the other, other hand, most of the time you can count on your President to have your back and keep the opposition from tearing you apart, but with Trump? I could see him throwing somebody in the bushes at the first sign of trouble.
dog

Himu

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 05:20:10 PM »

uhhhhhhhh

which one

(Image removed from quote.)

okay

so

there's this guy called steve bannon who is the former president of breitbart - a white supremacist news media site who champions themselves as the voice of the 'alt right' - who will be the second most powerful entity in the white house as chief strategist. he is a white supremacist and anti-semite who will influence national policy.

then there's kris kobach of kansas who is their secretary of state and is now on Trump's transition team. kobach is infamous for being the main designer of papers please laws and has previously spoken to a group of white nationalists.

i think that's it for now i've kinda lost count
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
That's a fair counterpoint. Ambition is a pretty common sentiment. But the big names in Parliament do seem to keep their distance ("Bannon ? Well I never met him...") at least until they have a clearer idea of what exactly they've been attached to.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »
i will say one thing about this election. it has lit a fire under my ass. i was too complacent, too idealistic in the past. i was critical of democrats in the past but now they have my support because they've shown they want to improve the party.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »
We haven't really talked about it yet, but Trump's administration is gonna be so freakin corrupt.

What you talking about, we're draining swamps!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »

It's so evident I'm not even sure there's anything to talk about.
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
I meant to say, draining swamps and then filling them with toxic waste  :doge

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »

uhhhhhhhh

which one

(Image removed from quote.)

okay

so

there's this guy called steve bannon who is the former president of breitbart - a white supremacist news media site who champions themselves as the voice of the 'alt right' - who will be the second most powerful entity in the white house as chief strategist. he is a white supremacist and anti-semite who will influence national policy.

then there's kris kobach of kansas who is their secretary of state and is now on Trump's transition team. kobach is infamous for being the main designer of papers please laws and has previously spoken to a group of white nationalists.

i think that's it for now i've kinda lost count

So a Jewish company (Breitbart) hired an anti-semite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Breitbart

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
PS My dad's had a theory about Cruz wanting a SCOTUS seat since he endorsed Trump. Given how much his fellow Senators like him, it makes a weird amount of sense.

Sarcasm? I thought everyone in the senate hated Cruz.
And if he becomes a justice, he'll be a regular conservative vote there and they'll never have to deal with him again in their lives.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
 :kobeyuck

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
Breitbart
This guy is what truly terrifies the shit out of me tbh.
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
Beyond his alleged personal prejudice, he fancies himself one of the leaders of the "alt right" (which maybe should be called for what it is : far right). You can read his own words here :

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/stephen-bannon-donald-trump-alt-right-breitbart-news

The transformation of the site has been pretty sudden and it's unclear how much Bannon (who had a rather eclectic & tumultuous career) is just acting out of opportunism.
ὕβρις

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
no need for colors in Trumps america. Just leave that page glorious white.
que

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2016, 07:17:33 PM »
Hillary Clinton Is More Than a President. She is an idea, a world-historical heroine, light itself

Hillary Clinton did everything right in this campaign, and she won more votes than her opponent did. She won. She cannot be faulted, criticized, or analyzed for even one more second. Instead, she will be decorated as an epochal heroine far too extraordinary to be contained by the mere White House. Let that revolting president-elect be Millard Fillmore or Herbert Hoover or whatever. Hillary is Athena.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
So a Jewish company (Breitbart) hired an anti-semite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Breitbart
He took over after Obama had Breitbart killed.

Syph

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
Defending Bannon is not even remotely the sword I will choose to die on, but Dershowitz's comments are relevant:

(lol taken from Breitbart)

I think the larger problem – and it’s a very complicated one today – is how you assess a person who himself might not have negative characteristics, but who has widespread appeal to people who do. And I think that problem exists on the right and the left. I think there are left-wing candidates who appeal to some of the worst bigots on the hard left. Anti-Semites on the hard left. Anti-Israel people on the hard left. And I think the same thing is probably true of some very right-wing conservatives who appeal vertently or inadvertently to people whose values they probably themselves don’t agree with.
XO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/798675613733109760

Trump team has asked for son in law Jared Kushner to have top secret clearance for Presidential Daily Brief no precedent for that

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/798348192882585600

Official telling me transition team asked about possibility of Trump children getting security clearances but they haven't asked for it
ὕβρις

zepblackstar

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:59 PM »
http://www.mediaite.com/online/alan-dershowitz-defends-bannon-no-evidence-to-support-that-hes-an-anti-semite/

Dershowitz conceded that Bannon has the support of bigots, but argued that he should not be judged by those supporters.

“Is he supported by bigots?…Yes he is. But…if Keith Ellison, who’s a decent, good person, were to become the head of the Democratic National Committee, Hamas would support it, would cheer and yell. Because he’s had some associaition with (Louis) Farrakhan in the past.”

:lucas

Boredfrom

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »
Defending Bannon is not even remotely the sword I will choose to die on, but Dershowitz's comments are relevant:

I think the larger problem – and it’s a very complicated one today – is how you assess a person who himself might not have negative characteristics, but who has widespread appeal to people who do. And I think that problem exists on the right and the left. I think there are left-wing candidates who appeal to some of the worst bigots on the hard left. Anti-Semites on the hard left. Anti-Israel people on the hard left. And I think the same thing is probably true of some very right-wing conservatives who appeal vertently or inadvertently to people whose values they probably themselves don’t agree with.

He still will be a opportunistic prick that is not afraid to manipulate both good or bad people to get his way... then that is also Trump.

zepblackstar

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:25 PM »
I mean its lobbyists so
 :obama

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intelligence-expert-mike-rogers-leaves-trump-transition-team-amid-shake-up-1479221847

Donald Trump’s Transition Team Reshaped

Vice President-elect Mike Pence drops lobbyists; former Intelligence panel head Mike Rogers ousted

Nola

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »

False equivalencies aside, my answer to this is what I was telling a couple friends today who were trying to see the upside of Bannon likely not being the incarnation of the vessel he controlled.

It really doesn't matter too much IMO. Ultimately he has fairly clear supporter expectations on top of a personal/business brand at stake that would be ruined if he ends up being perceived as a sell-out.

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
http://www.mediaite.com/online/alan-dershowitz-defends-bannon-no-evidence-to-support-that-hes-an-anti-semite/

Dershowitz conceded that Bannon has the support of bigots, but argued that he should not be judged by those supporters.

“Is he supported by bigots?…Yes he is. But…if Keith Ellison, who’s a decent, good person, were to become the head of the Democratic National Committee, Hamas would support it, would cheer and yell. Because he’s had some associaition with (Louis) Farrakhan in the past.”

:lucas

Man, what kind of loose moral fiber and tenuous grasp on reality does a person have to have to try to tie rising Democratic leaders, Louis Farrakhan, and Hamas together?

(Skip to 2:13)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »
Though in defense of Breitbart, I think using the "Renegade Jew" headline is a bit disingenious if the goal is to prove Bannon antisemitism. The article is written by David Horowitz which identify himself as a jew and it mostly peddles the -sadly not unusual- view that Kristol is a "race traitor" facilitating the imminent extermination of his people for not falling in line with Trump, the Republicans and/or Israël. It's incredibly shrill & dogmatic but maybe not antisemitic, though the inflammatory headline probably also tingles the funny bone of bigots in many different ways.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:54:51 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2016, 09:24:38 PM »
*slaps Jew Card onto the table*

That headline is wild antisemitic. Getting a Jewish author for the piece doesn't change that, and it's especially indefensible given its publication date, when pro-Trump Jewbaiting had already become a pretty widespread and well-covered phenomenon.

As in all things, we can't really discern what's In Someone's Heart but it's also not super relevant.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »

The best case scenario is that the Trump administration is such a disaster nothing gets done.

They keep grudges, and the list of friendly faces is about 10 people deep.

In addition, 8 years of Obama means the actual people working wont be happy that their news boss is an idiot.

You work at the EPA. You probably have a genuine interest in the environment. Then, after 30 years of hard work and loyalty someone tells you your boss is an oil executive that hates the environment?

Yeah, no.

Dream scenario?

Rand + Cruz + Rubio hold their own grudges and nothing gets done in the senate. Nothing. Throw in some Romneyteam mormon senators and you have a real stew going.

Someone pointed out (I dont know if its true), that before the Dems had a super-majority in California, single payer healthcare got passed twice and then ended by the Rs. But when the Ds took the super-majority those bills mysteriously didnt get proposed again.

Its easy to vote against Obamacare 120 times when you know it means nothing. Its harder to put your name on a bill thats actually about to pass.
:O

agrajag

« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
Though in defense of Breitbart, I think using the "Renegade Jew" headline is a bit disingenious if the goal is to prove Bannon antisemitism. The article is written by David Horowitz which identify itself as a jew and it mostly peddles the -sadly not unusual- view that Kristol is a "race traitor" facilitating the imminent extermination of his people for not falling in line with Trump, the Republicans and/or Israël. It's incredibly shrill & dogmatic but maybe not antisemitic, though the inflammatory headline probably also tingles the funny bone of bigots in many different ways.

:leon :ufup

zepblackstar

« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
He seen some shit :o
In January 1968, Horowitz returned to the United States, where he became co-editor of the New Left magazine Ramparts, based in northern California.[10] During the early 1970s, Horowitz developed a close friendship with Huey P. Newton, founder of the Black Panther Party. Horowitz later portrayed Newton as equal parts gangster, terrorist, intellectual, and media celebrity.[10]

As part of their work together, Horowitz helped raise money for, and assisted the Panthers with, the running of a school for poor children in Oakland. He recommended that Newton hire Betty Van Patter as bookkeeper; she was then working for Ramparts. In December 1974, Van Patter's body was found floating in San Francisco Harbor; she had been murdered. Horowitz has said he believes the Panthers were behind the killing.[10][15]
:whew :whoo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »
"Hey, guys, don't worry, they're only pretending to be racist!"

:cmonson
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
Maybe I missed it in all the historicness of Hillary, but Trump would be the first person to ever become President without holding prior public office (if we include military service) and only the second major party nominee.

etiolate

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
This is where understanding post-irony would help you dumdums.

just sayin  :smug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
This is where understanding post-irony would help you dumdums.

just sayin  :smug

"Hey, guys, don't worry, they're only pretending to be racist!"
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2016, 11:18:25 PM »
No, no, Rumbler, that would be simply "irony." The "post-" part is where they become sincere about it.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:59 AM »
I'm doing better now.

I had terrible, crippling panic attacks last weak.  Had to go to the hospital.  Now on better medication.

I have a family full of gay and trans people.  The most important persons in my life (besides my girlfriend) are: my mother, my sisters, and my gay cousin and gay aunt.  This has been the worst week in recent memory – worse than my legal troubles last year.

I've already donated money to several organizations, and plan on volunteering for several women's rights organizations throughout the next few years.

All I'll say is: I voted for Hillary, but I understand why she "lost."  I fully support a populism approach for Democrats going forward, including an Ellison DNC and a Bernie presidential run.  I know Bernie will be too old, so I support Warren.
püp

El Babua

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2016, 02:00:15 AM »
Glad you're doing better breh.

Last week was tough as fuck. The Trump fuckery this past week has been fun but once the fuckery starts hurting people... :doge

Himu

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2016, 02:14:00 AM »
Last week I did okay. I was shocked and eventually angry but I accepted it quickly.

Bannon being appointed as chief strategist though made me have a panic attack at work. That was the moment that made me cry because I was legitimately terrified my and family's safety.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:44:00 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2016, 02:44:53 AM »
Though in defense of Breitbart, I think using the "Renegade Jew" headline is a bit disingenious if the goal is to prove Bannon antisemitism. The article is written by David Horowitz which identify itself as a jew and it mostly peddles the -sadly not unusual- view that Kristol is a "race traitor" facilitating the imminent extermination of his people for not falling in line with Trump, the Republicans and/or Israël. It's incredibly shrill & dogmatic but maybe not antisemitic, though the inflammatory headline probably also tingles the funny bone of bigots in many different ways.

:leon :ufup

:larry Was too tired when I wrote that.
Goes without saying that Horowitz being a jew doesn't make the article any less dumb.
ὕβρις