Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5453752 times)

Himu

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| New WH Comm Director: Frank Lee Power
« Reply #8220 on: August 14, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
I've been against doxxing in the past and I'm against it now. I understand why people think it's a good idea however, as it publicly shames them. However, on the opposite end, it forces them to rely on their hateful ideology as no other recourse and further radicalizes. So it's definitely a double edged sword and can be used for harm. There's also the possibility for the opposition to doxx their enemies as well. If one side can doxx, so can the other. Problem is, these are also people who have a history with violence. The KKK threatened and bombed MLK's house. With today's technology, they could easily doxx most leaders of todays activism and do the same if they had any structure and willpower. Doxxing might seem smart now, but you potentially put them on the offensive to the point where they will act. And going by history, that action also includes burning down churches with four little girls in it. I've seen and been to that church. I'll never forget it. And that's why I have a pistol.

Doxx all you want and cheer for it all you want, but remember you're potentially playing with fire.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:56:33 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8221 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:59 PM »
Who's getting doxxed?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #8222 on: August 14, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »
Who's getting doxxed?

Literally all the people who showed up to march for the racist side.

I still generally dislike doxxing as a tactic.

However... I don't think you should get to go be a Nazi on the weekend and then go back to your job on Monday, sit down at your desk, and act like nothing has happened while you answer work email. Especially if you were at a rally or event where the people on your racist team beat and murdered other human beings.

So... doxx away I guess.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #8223 on: August 14, 2017, 11:52:29 PM »
Is posting someone's name doxxing? :thinking

I draw the line at address and phone number for this kind of thing but it's probably a case by case thing...

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8224 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »
Yeah exactly but who's address and phone number is getting posted? Like isn't this just ppl matching up faces to publicly available social media accounts so far? I don't really think having your face recognized in a nationally publicized photo counts as 'doxxing'

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8225 on: August 15, 2017, 12:29:44 AM »
yeah wtf? :lol

there's no presumption of privacy when you're not only in public, but very visibly publicly protesting

is this like the argument that cops have a right to privacy while acting in public that should prevent them from being filmed?

what's the alternative here supposed to be, i'm sure top dog is glad to know this about their employee or at least have a reason to do something about it if they knew previously

this is the natural self-regulating mechanism of public activism/advocacy, the cost of your reputation against the benefits of your activism, not doxxing

Himu

« Reply #8226 on: August 15, 2017, 12:41:32 AM »
It seems to be if people send it to your job, I think. I dunno how to feel about it.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8227 on: August 15, 2017, 12:54:51 AM »
If you're literally the face of a hate movement to the point where people can figure out you're their local hotdog vendor or whatever, u absolutely deserve to be fired. You're a huge liability to whatever business employs you. Also I notice that the only people getting "doxxed" are white dudes who had absolutely no problem showing their face at a white pride rally

etiolate

« Reply #8228 on: August 15, 2017, 03:19:18 AM »
The problem is that doxxing comes from amateur detectives, who identify the wrong person and result in the wrong person being terrorized.

But this provies that people are extremely morally relative on doxxing.

I am only here to ask a question of the Hilary nuts

Dearest Jack Green Shinobi Glenn Dickwardly,

How do I explain to someone like you that Hilary wasn't a viable canidate and that if Obama could have run a third term, he'd win or that his wife would have won, and that makes it hard to explain the election as "America is just racist"?

Thanks,

Fella who was right about shit
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:33:53 AM by etiolate »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8229 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:51 AM »
"morally relevant"

etiolate

« Reply #8230 on: August 15, 2017, 03:32:29 AM »
Say something directly you coward. I told you that was that was the agreement. No free reign on bitch mode.

ah ok, snafu, CORRECTED

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8231 on: August 15, 2017, 04:51:40 AM »
Say something directly you coward. I told you that was that was the agreement. No free reign on bitch mode.

ah ok, snafu, CORRECTED

lmfao u a sensitive bitch these days huh

etiolate

« Reply #8232 on: August 15, 2017, 05:04:18 AM »

ah ok, snafu, CORRECTED

:umad :sabu

Wtf does Dickwardly mean?

No one tries to explain the entire election as "America is just racist," but Trump motivated a shit ton of racists to go to the polls.

Your ability to think critically is extremely limited, and for some reason you seem to regard that as one of your strengths. It's weird.

you took too long to respond

Wait why are you talking about critical thinking?

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8233 on: August 15, 2017, 05:13:32 AM »
Punch etoilate
Hi

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8234 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:01 AM »

ah ok, snafu, CORRECTED

:umad :sabu

Wtf does Dickwardly mean?

No one tries to explain the entire election as "America is just racist," but Trump motivated a shit ton of racists to go to the polls.

Your ability to think critically is extremely limited, and for some reason you seem to regard that as one of your strengths. It's weird.

you took too long to respond

Wait why are you talking about critical thinking?
literally no one likes you and you have the most punchable face on the planet dude

etiolate

« Reply #8235 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
Because you make arguments that demonstrate that you lack that ability entirely.

You're a dumbass. Mandark is like a hundred times smarter than you.

hhhhmm

Himu

« Reply #8239 on: August 15, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war

maybe, ya know, one side shouldn't be the only one with guns.

I have been pro gun since the election because I'm not a moron.

Good luck passing anti gun legislation, democrats.

And that book is piff. There's some other good pro gun black American books I'd like to share with you breh. Take a class and then buy a piece. You're a fool if you're anti-gun going forward. Real talk. I smell blood and it's not gonna be mine.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8241 on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:32 AM »
Yea the government took out the Black Panthers systematically but never forget the police almost never interfered with armed BPP rallies or marches. On NPR I heard Virginia's governor mention the militias on the ground in Charleston were more well armed than the cops, and naturally they couldn't do anything. Just sayin...
:yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #8242 on: August 15, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
Yea the government took out the Black Panthers systematically but never forget the police almost never interfered with armed BPP rallies or marches. On NPR I heard Virginia's governor mention the militias on the ground in Charleston were more well armed than the cops, and naturally they couldn't do anything. Just sayin...
:yeshrug

They gave EMTs body armor breh.

The US government, as an institution, has shown zero resolve or ability in protecting its citizens and with Trump in office? Who in the world would trust them with your life. If you're a racial minority or LGBT and you're not strapped... :larry
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

agrajag

« Reply #8244 on: August 15, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Conservatives are fucking morons, more news at 11

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #8246 on: August 15, 2017, 11:53:59 AM »
People show up to defend statues of people from the 1860's using symbols from the 1940s and it's "Obama's fault"  :thinking
vin

studyguy

« Reply #8247 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »

I like how he just throws out random words at the ends of his sentences as if they had any real relevance.

Also another CEO bounced from his committee this morning.
pause

Boredfrom

« Reply #8248 on: August 15, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
People show up to defend statues of people from the 1860's using symbols from the 1940s and it's "Obama's fault"  :thinking

Is Obama's fault that a neonazi killed a white woman counter protesting a Neo Nazi rally. How dare he to stir racial tensions by triggering a rich racist man baby, for daring to be the first black president of the U.S.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #8249 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »

Hey now, don't paint with such a wide brush. At least one person in that article blames George Soros more than Obama.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8250 on: August 15, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
Why won't Obama denounce radical presidential extremists?
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8251 on: August 15, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

:dead

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8252 on: August 15, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »

Hey now, don't paint with such a wide brush. At least one person in that article blames George Soros more than Obama.
It's a pretty enduring idea that anti-racist sentiment is just the result of outside agitation or manipulation. It's in the statement that MLK was responding to in Letter from the Birmingham Jail. It's also what the ranting about "cultural Marxism" is about in that batshit NSC memo.

Seeing everyone on the opposition side as dupes to some puppetmaster is pretty tempting, and I remember the early days of the Tea Party when a lot of liberals thought it was just astroturf from the Kochs or whatever. But it's especially pronounced when people talk about civil rights and racism.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8253 on: August 15, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »
Anecdotally, the usual loudmouthed idiots I work with all talk about how there are reports that the counter protestors were paid to incite violence on Saturday. ::)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8254 on: August 15, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
This is interesting. In retrospect people should have been more worried when polls showed that a large part of Trump's support in New Hampshire and other early states consisted of former Democrats. I remember briefly thinking that could be an ill omen and then not thinking about it much after that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/upshot/the-obama-trump-voters-are-real-heres-what-they-think.html?_r=0

I think it's a meaningless exercise to deduce the future whims of individual voters based on a Presidential race.

The voter is given a binary choice, which forces them to make wildly different decisions based on unusual, personal reasons.

My parents are a good example. They are both white, working class living in the Rust Belt.

My father is a lifelong Democrat who didn't vote for Obama but voted for Trump this time. The only other time he didn't vote Democrat was for Ross Perot. My mother is a lifelong Republican who abstained from voting because she despises Trump.

Why their voted shifted came down to the personalities of the two people. Not some ideological one or wedge issue. Next election could be totally different based on the two people running. It's impossible to predict.

studyguy

« Reply #8255 on: August 15, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
What the fuck just happened.  :doge

https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/897551389043437574

Dude went 110% in on defending Nazis.

https://twitter.com/o_ema/status/897553607867990019

lmao making the comparison of taking down statues of George Washington, saying the alt-right protestors had very fine people in it.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/897552788116426752

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Boxer/status/897555997723701248
pause

benjipwns

« Reply #8256 on: August 15, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/15/trump-asks-why-alt-left-not-being-blamed-for-charlottesville-violence-241660
Asked about violence from the so-called “alt-right” that had occurred, Trump responded, “What about the alt-left that came charging at the, as you say, the alt-right?” He then asked, “Do they have any semblance of guilt?”
:trumps

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8258 on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
this dumbass motherfucker is just the worst dude. ugh

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8259 on: August 15, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Glad that Gen. Kelly finally brought some order to the White House.

studyguy

« Reply #8260 on: August 15, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/kristindonnelly/status/897551033743921152

tfw you're at the party and your homie starts acting real extra with everyone that wants to fuck him up.
pause

FStop7

« Reply #8261 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »
The Manufacturing Council's going to end up consisting of the Duck Dynasty fuckboys and Mike Rowe, isn't it?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8262 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:36 PM »

Checkmate, Liberals.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #8263 on: August 15, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
but what about the alt-left?

why aren't you dickwardly cowards responding to that? hits a little too close to home i suspect #MAGA #TCOT

Tasty

« Reply #8264 on: August 15, 2017, 04:53:17 PM »
If there's one thing that should take Trump down, it's this.

Did I just timewarp back a year or

benjipwns

« Reply #8265 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/897556953743982593
I don't want to pull out my fancy Masters in History or anything here but George Washington was literally all three of those things too.

And not to defend him but versus Washington, Lee only owned like a household slave or something, moving around in the military constantly wasn't conducive to being a large land or slaveholder. He inherited all his land not long before the war while he was semi-retired iirc.

edit: reading Serwer's link and related info, he inherited Arlington plantation in 1857 from his father-in-law, and part of what Serwer complains about in his article regarding the selling off of the slaves was due to Lee trying to find someone else to manage it as he didn't know anything about it...thankfully the war came along and he got to go back to doing what he was more competent at and as a bonus got to have the Union Army seize the plantation
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:08:05 PM by benjipwns »

Boredfrom

« Reply #8266 on: August 15, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
Man, what a piece of shit scumbag. There is no both sides in a Nazi rally and even if it were you will not able to process any critical thinking on it because you don't care about hearing the other person. Nazi son of a bitch, don't drag everyone down because daddy saw you like a shit stain you are.

benjipwns

« Reply #8267 on: August 15, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
In that Serwer article he notes that people point to Lee's letters about emancipating slaves as "he's a good guy underneath" and then dismisses it "cuz other stuff", when if he actually looked into it, there's a better explanation. Lee was interested in emancipating the slaves he inherited because they were a drag on the plantations finances (too many slaves, and family members of all types, for what the plantation produced for sale), which was not uncommon in that period and led to much of the mass sell off pre-war. The larger (and/or competently run) plantations could absorb the costs better.

I think he's more qualified to share more of cutie Butters than write about history:
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/897551028354199553

States should be free to leave the union under normal circumstances anyway; the whole war was only ethically justified because of the slavery issue. Of course secession was only a thing because of slavery anyway.

But if California or Texas or some state wanted to secede next year, it would be immoral for the other states to use force to prevent that.

Fuck those slavers though.
This is a regular argument in libertarian circles, I've always argued that Southern Secession was not questionable because the States were doing it to maintain slavery (the common libertarian argument against) but because so much of the population was enslaved that it was not a legitimate Republican form of government and they weren't democratically electing to secede. (South Carolina, for example, was over 60% slave. For some strange reason they weren't allowed to vote.)

FStop7

« Reply #8268 on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
I'm imagining a bunch of sweaty neckbeards on the beach at Normandy, arms outstretched and palms raised toward the Allied landing craft while crying out "both sides!"

Nola

« Reply #8269 on: August 15, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »
Is it a surprise Trump is a white supremacist? It all started when he peddled that birther nonsense about Obama.

Oh, I think it started even earlier then that, Central Park 5:

And

Housing Discrimination
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html

Honestly my anger right now is stemming from this thought. There is a major distinction - that while both awful and destructive - is enormously more consequential, between just having racist views as a citizen, and having racist views and then using a powerful platform of influence and authority to tacitly endorse them. Like he is doing as president. Like he has done today.

People could and very well may die from this set of emboldening remarks. And the people he spoke of in his false equivalence will now more then ever find righteousness in their confrontational approach to dealing with the Nazis, and I am starting to feel I can't blame them much anymore.

Not that people give much of a shit, but in my little monitoring of the right wing since Charlottesville, it was interesting to see that in a place I had typically branded a one step removed white nationalist message board, there was pretty solid condemnation and distancing. The whatboutisms were only mild and at worst evenly split with people denouncing. Looking over there after these remarks and the place is fucking collectively orgasming over taking it to the leftists and pointing out their hypocrisy. This man is sowing some very dark things into people.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #8270 on: August 15, 2017, 05:22:36 PM »
The Manufacturing Council's going to end up consisting of the Duck Dynasty fuckboys and Mike Rowe, isn't it?

Don't forget Scott Adams
rub

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8271 on: August 15, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
I've always argued that Southern Secession was not questionable because the States were doing it to maintain slavery (the common libertarian argument against) but because so much of the population was enslaved that it was not a legitimate Republican form of government and they weren't democratically electing to secede.

lolwut

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8272 on: August 15, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
Is it a surprise Trump is a white supremacist?

Trump and his dad were treating black people like garbage at least as early as the 70's [and probably earlier than that], so nah it's not a surprise at all.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #8273 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »
States should be free to leave the union under normal circumstances anyway; the whole war was only ethically justified because of the slavery issue. Of course secession was only a thing because of slavery anyway.

But if California or Texas or some state wanted to secede next year, it would be immoral for the other states to use force to prevent that.

Fuck those slavers though.

The civil war established that states cannot leave the union constitutionally.

Now if there were an amendment to change that, fine, but that's the status quo today.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8274 on: August 15, 2017, 05:34:31 PM »
edit: hearing that the Politico transcript could've screwed up.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:39:46 PM by Mandark »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8275 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
edit: hearing that the Politico transcript could've screwed up.

DRUMPF: Oh no, George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down – excuse me. Are we going to take down, are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him? Okay, good. Are we going to take down his statue? He was a major slave owner. Are we going to take down his statue? You know what? It’s fine, you’re changing history, you’re changing culture, and you had people – and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally – but you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly.
Jesus fuck, he is 200% one of them and is not even remotely hiding it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:49:48 PM by Trent Dole »
Hi

benjipwns

« Reply #8276 on: August 15, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »
The civil war established that states cannot leave the union constitutionally.
No, it didn't. If anything it established that they could. If the legal fiction was maintained that the States had never left the Union then there couldn't have been terms imposed on their re-admittance.

I've always argued that Southern Secession was not questionable because the States were doing it to maintain slavery (the common libertarian argument against) but because so much of the population was enslaved that it was not a legitimate Republican form of government and they weren't democratically electing to secede.

lolwut
I don't think the why of why a State chooses to secede should have any bearing on their legal or constitutional ability to do so or not. Libertarians who argue the States could not secede usually go with the "they were doing it to maintain slavery" argument as undermining the legitimacy of it. I think there's a way to read a Constitutional provision to it, especially since I consider slavery to have already been against the Constitution even prior to the 13th Amendment, in the requirement of the Federal government to uphold a Republican form of government in the States. States where 80+% of the population are not eligible to elect the legislature significantly weakens that legislatures claim on having democratic authority to secede.

I think you momentarily forgot I was nuts. It happens to the best of us.

benjipwns

« Reply #8277 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »
Not that people give much of a shit, but in my little monitoring of the right wing since Charlottesville, it was interesting to see that in a place I had typically branded a one step removed white nationalist message board, there was pretty solid condemnation and distancing. The whatboutisms were only mild and at worst evenly split with people denouncing. Looking over there after these remarks and the place is fucking collectively orgasming over taking it to the leftists and pointing out their hypocrisy.
You had their priorities backwards, that's all.

FStop7

« Reply #8278 on: August 15, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

Don't forget Scott Adams

Oh yeah, the Dildo comic strip guy

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™