Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 216972 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: I got FFXIV
« Reply #660 on: February 02, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
Got to level 10 today. Woo hoo! Early lvl grinding is so much easier in this than xi. Tons of quests that give decent xp. I also hooked my pc up to my TV and playing this on the couch is great.

I got bebps invitation code but I'm going to wait until my 14 day trial runs out since I can't use the key I bought last night on the steam version and I can't enter that code until I transfer to the full game.

Bebpo

« Reply #661 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »
I was playing some Theatrhythm CC and FFVII's Golden Saucer song came up and HOLY CRAP IT'S THE SAME SONG  :o :o :o

Yeah I'm not a big FFVII fan so I never noticed, but that's cool.  FFXIV is essentially a big fanservice game!  Is Alexander in HW sorta like Alexander in FFIX?
I hope they have space travel with the Ragnorak someday :P

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #662 on: February 02, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
what :lol yeah i mean the whole thing is a tribute to the original gold saucer. the whole Crystal Tower quest was a tribute to ff3, too. tons of subtle and overt tributes to old ff games all over the place.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #663 on: February 03, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
So now that I'm getting around 25-30 with my crafters I'm needing lots materials I can't just buy.  Luckily I can just send my retainers on 1H ventures to collect my shopping list of materials.  This is very useful.  And if it's simple mining/botany I'll just teleport over and grab materials myself.

I take a look at the market board first but if someone is charging 1,000 gil+ for one item I'm like no thanks, I'll grab it myself. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #664 on: February 03, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
what are retainers? 

Are there any common loot items that I should be selling on the marketplace early in the game?  In XI silk threads were the go to for low level players to sell at the auction house for good money.  I haven't sold anything yet since I can't even see the market in the trial version.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #665 on: February 03, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
retainers are characters you create that work as item chests.

there ain't a lot good you can sell off early in the game, but the main story gives you lots of gil. somewhere between 500k and 1mil when you finish 2.0.
pcp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #666 on: February 03, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
ah ok.  thank you.

Bebpo

« Reply #667 on: February 03, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
what are retainers? 

Are there any common loot items that I should be selling on the marketplace early in the game?  In XI silk threads were the go to for low level players to sell at the auction house for good money.  I haven't sold anything yet since I can't even see the market in the trial version.

Miners have a lot of low level stuff they can sell in batches for solid money like Iron Ore, Alumen, Bomb Ash.  Grab a few of everything and then check prices on the market board.

Bebpo

« Reply #668 on: February 03, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
And by solid money I'm talking about 20-30k+ gil.  That's still good money to me, especially with no materials cost overhead if you're gathering it yourself.

« Reply #669 on: February 03, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
G-pose is really good

Bebpo

« Reply #670 on: February 03, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »
Nice photo!

Up to 1.4 million gil now  8)
Also been saving up MGP since I got my top rank deck in Triple Triad so I don't to buy card packs anymore.  Almost at 100k MGP.  Not sure what to save up for/spend on.  Some of the cool cosmetic stuff is super pricey.

Yeah I'm definitely in MSQ 2.4 now since they're talking about the Ice Queen.  I guess 2.3 ended with the Sultana cutscene?  That cutscene was really good.  Maybe best cutscene in the game so far.  Added some depth and complexity to the character and politics.  Also decently emotional.  Feel bad for Princess and her dude straight out of a Matsuno Western RPG bodyguard.  I like seeing the characters question

spoiler (click to show/hide)
whether a grand company army is a good idea.  Just nice to see the plot evolve beyond good guys go collect crystals and fight evil primals.

You know, thinking about it, I think I would have like 2.0 more if the Coil storyline had been the main 60 hour 2.0 plot.  Could've been given a lot more substance and it would've made for a much better FF story than the 2.0 MSQ
[close]

Oh, and I've been doing daily roulette Trial each day because it takes all of 5 mins and is an immediate fun boss battle.  Gotten Cape Highwind twice in a row :o, just did Titan (hard) and it's so easy now coming from Titan Extreme lolz

Bebpo

« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2017, 12:47:04 AM »
Rolled up across Behemoth while doing 2.4 MSQ.  Yelled the spot, about 8 people came and that was it so we threw snowballs at him for a while and then said fuck it and started the fight.  Maybe there were like 2 people outside our 8 person team.

Fight was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy.  Like since this is the other "big Fate" from 2.0 like Odin I was expecting crazy Odin murdering the shit out of everyone.  But all Behemoth does is sit and claw at the tank in front of him and drop a slow circle AoE that everyone can avoid.  I don't think I got hit once in his first phase.  Then he ran off and I thought we fucked up the Fate and he got too far away and was gonna reset.

But nope, there's part 2!  But...it was just as easy lol.  Only difference from a DPS perspective was a few more easily avoidable AoEs.  Didn't get hit once, got him down to like 3% and then the tanks died and suddenly he was targetting me and yeah I can't tank those swipes with my glass cannon armor.  Died in like 2 hits around 2% left.  Party still had like 5 people, got him down to 1%, he dropped the meteor as he died and killed everyone except the healer.  And we won and the healer slowly revived us all.

Was fun, got my horns and spent them on a dumb helmet I can't even equip, but maybe some day.  But yeah, this was a joke compared to Odin.  Seems easily beatable with like 10 people, whereas Odin we had maybe 20-50 people and everyone was dying left and right and it was super close on the final slash.

Photos I took of the fight:

Hey look who I see.

Pshhh, easy.

Heading to Pt.2

Kicking butt, still easy at 5% remaining.

Getting dead.

Dead bodies everywhere, but we won.
[close]

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #672 on: February 04, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
photo protip: if you hold l1 and push the TouchPad, the hud will disappear
pcp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #673 on: February 04, 2017, 12:12:28 PM »
I don't want to go through this entire thread, but...

If I don't really like mmo's but I like the gameplay more or less of XII and XV, would I be into this?  Is there a good starter-guide out there to read?
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #674 on: February 04, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
Sorta.  It's kind of like FFXII but a lot more padded than single player rpgs, like a loooot.  Otoh the multiplayer stuff adds to the dungeons/bosses and makes them more fun.  There's also way more side stuff to do than a normal single player rpg.  You've got chocobo racing, triple triad, hunts, all kinds of sidequests and optional story arcs, fishing, crafting, etc...

It's a very good rpg, but it feels pretty different than single player rpgs and move at a slower pace and longer time requirement.  The game has an in-game help guide and google works for most stuff I've found.  Game is dirt cheap with a free month, so you can always try and see what you think.  Note that the game gets 10x better when you finish the base story and hit lvl.50 and all the fun stuff unlocks.

Bebpo

« Reply #675 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
Did the Shiva battle last night.  Solid fight, seems tougher on tanks since we wiped the first time due to our tanks dying.  The AoEs threw me off at first due to the non-Orange indicators.

Up to 1.8 million gil now  8)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #676 on: February 06, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »
I don't want to go through this entire thread, but...

If I don't really like mmo's but I like the gameplay more or less of XII and XV, would I be into this?  Is there a good starter-guide out there to read?

If you hate MMO's it may not be your thing, but the in game tutorials are sufficient. You can check http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/ as well.

Cracked the hell out over weekend, did almost all of 2.4/5. Am at end of line on MSQ. Best FF ever.  :doge

Still have to do Alex (M2 on), new raid, and I guess get gear up...although may wait for 2.55/scrip limit removal. i236 now.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #677 on: February 06, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
what server you on akala?
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #678 on: February 06, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
Best song when I played the FFXIV medley in Theaterythm Arcade was the Sirus Pharos song.  Kinda bummed that song isn't in Curtain Call, though CC has Ifrit/Gardua/Titan themes and the arcade only has like 3 other songs.

Also the Pharos song was a bit hard to place considering it's really good and only used in an easy dungeon you'll play once and then never again.  Total waste.  They should re-use some tracks like that for other parts.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #679 on: February 06, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »
best dungeon track imo.

i hope Theaterythm gets another home release at some point. hell what I really want is a greatest hits compilation of all old square music. not holding my breath for that one tho.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #680 on: February 06, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
The more I think about it, the more after the Crystal Tower & Coil, everything else feels less fulfilling. 

Like I enjoy dungeon bosses, but the trash mobs between bosses is boring.  I don't know how it can ever get exciting again.  Maybe make some trash mobs really hard and require smart skills on them (silence, stuns, buffs/debuffs like you would in a raid).  And man, after almost 300 hundred hours I've come to realize that the quest design in MMOs (at least going by FFXIV) kinda sucks.  Like 90% of the game is just running from one person to another to talk to them.  Fast travel and then spend a minute chocobo riding to talk to them and warp somewhere else and ride and talk to them.  It's like an adventure game with no puzzles.  Kind like a visual novel with padded running between.  The other 10% is dungeons (great bosses, zzz mobs), boss fights (good, some great) and raids which are fucking awesome challenging/interesting fights one after another.

I really think after I catch up on the story I'll basically just be raiding/boss trials since that's fun and can drop good loot.  Unless the MSQ starts making MSQs more interesting than just running from one person to another and watching cutscenes until you hit a dungoen/boss.

« Reply #681 on: February 06, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Pharos will forever be ingrained into my memory because it used to get done a ton back when it was new. It was also incredibly annoying to actually play because of some mechanics that have long since been adjusted to make it less of a PITA to clear with random people. There's a Pharos Sirius hard mode waiting for you anyway, so you haven't seen the last of that theme.  ;)

The dungeons do get continously more interesting, though trash mobs will always be trash mobs. The "fun" of dungeons comes out of optimizing how to best get them done through positioning, skill use, etc, but that doesn't apply to 50 content anymore cause its all been figured out and done to death. Meanwhile I'm still figuring out how to best do the first few trash mob pulls in the latest 60 dungeon cause i still can't do them right every time. They're also much better incentivized to do when you get tomestome rewards that are actually relevant to your current level, rather than everything being outdated/handed to you.

And yeah, it prob doesn't help that you swallowed up all of the raid/trial content in one big gulp while putting off the MSQ as much as you could.  :P It was much easier to digest piece by piece as it came out rather than having to do it all in one go.

But that's ok, because with Shiva done and meeting Ysayle, you've already started the prologue to Heavensward and are done with 2.4. 2.5 jumpstarts all the rising tensions that you've been building up to since the Crystal Braves formed in 2.3, ending 2.X with a bang and immediately going straight to 3.0  :gun

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #682 on: February 06, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »
PT: Main is on Sarg (legacy). I was gonna make an alt on the one all you guys are playing on, but world was full other day.

Beb: MSQ for HW is muchas better than 2.0, but you are always going to have the MMO-style fetch quests. Pacing in HW was off at launch, you'd get to a gate with 1-2 levels before you could unlock...I would definitely sprinkle in POTD runs or something and not do all of the sidequests though. Especially if you don't want to hate moogles. Good on you for trying to go through sequentially, guessing that is pretty rare now though. Coil is prob the worst thing to try. I would honestly save a few of the extreme fights cause you will need to re-run in DF to unlock triad anyway.

Sun: Agree. There is a lot of neat 50 stuff, but I'd def press on.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #683 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
At some point I'll do PoTD for something other than the XP.  I'm like halfway to lvl.55, so maaaaybe start HW at 55 already so probably ok on XP.  But at some point it would be fun to take PoTD past lvl.10 (since everyone grinding for pure fast xp just is doing lvl.1-10 over and over again for that 30% of a level XP or something) and see the rest of it.  I heard the boss of PotD is a good challenge.

I love moogles!  The delivery quests are great, and the MSQ 2.1 stuff with the moogle taking you to Good King Mog who is always talking like "And please get rid of Good King Moogle, oh he is so great in his name and everything he does, so that Good King Mog, may his name reign forever in all of us, does not come back"  :lol  What they've done with making Moogles lazy jerks and Slyphs psychopathic pranksters is fantastic.  Always enjoy their dialogues.

Yeah I generally don't do all of the "!" sidequests, just the "+" ones and sometimes a few "!" ones just to feel out a place and get to know the npcs/area a bit.

What does "need to re-run extreme fights in DF to unlock triad" mean?  I already got a quest that wants me to re-run Ifrit/Garuda/Titan Ex for Rowena Tokens (which seem useless at this point?), just like I've got a quest to re-run all three parts of the Crystal Tower which I'm totally up for after some time. 

Think I'll log on for a bunch tonight.  Just finished up with work and not really hungry.  Time to start 2.5 MSQ!

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #684 on: February 06, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »
Yeah at 55 you are prob fine to rush to 60 without many blocks.

POTD I didn't think was too hard, only really dangerous when crazy stuff fors wrong. Kinna wep is great, just a bit grindy.

Rowena tokens not worth, keep going. I was saying you'll need to redo them after you finish main bit of HW MSQ to unlock Warring Triad stuff.

Crystal tower weekly clear has decent reward, but game opens up again at 60.

« Reply #685 on: February 06, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
Yeah, the Rowena tokens were there as an alternative way to get i90 weapons back during 2.1 by clearing out the core 3 EX Primals every week. Pointless now outside of glamour.

You're more than fine to just burn through all of the 3.0 MSQ at 55~

What I think Akala means is that you used to require both of the new 3.0 EX Primals to unlock the Warring Triad stuff, but they changed that now. The quest that unlocks both of those EXses just progresses straight into rest.

Bebpo

« Reply #686 on: February 06, 2017, 11:34:19 PM »
Cool, yeah I think my goal for hitting HW is lvl.55, 2.5million gil.  I'm on pace for that right now.  Fishing is almost lvl.52 just from turn ins.  Crafters/Min/Bot probably be ~lvl.30 across the board at that point.

Bebpo

« Reply #687 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
I am stuck on this stupid adventurer squad though.  The level 35/40 missions are so damn annoying getting the right stats to beat them.  Feel like I've been stuck with a lvl35-40 squad for weeks.  Just gotta beat this 40 mission and get the next set unlocked which hopefully starts having good rewards.

« Reply #688 on: February 06, 2017, 11:41:58 PM »
You're further in that squad stuff than 99% of level 60 players.

Myself included.  :goty2

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #689 on: February 06, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »
fuck that squadron shit. i cant be arsed to run back to uldah every hour. pretty sure the only reward is a new rank and an exclusive coat. whoop de fucking doo.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #690 on: February 06, 2017, 11:59:20 PM »
I dunno, I mean I log out at the Limsa Inn and it's right around the corner and also right next to where I drop off my GC trade-ins, so I'll get at least 2-3 training sessions and hopefully a mission in before I log out each day.  Just part of the routine like watering and fertilizing my two flower pots, doing GC turns ins, doing my mini-cactpot, doing my daily 5 minute trial roulette, going around and buying 99 of all the materials I just sold since the last session and putting them back up for sale.

Part of the reason why at like 260 hours I'm only on MSQ 2.5 ^^;  I spend like 60-90 minutes doing my routine stuff each day, so if I play for like 2 hours I get 30 mins of MSQ in, 3 hours, I get 90 mins of MSQ etc... but I enjoy the routine.

Bebpo

« Reply #691 on: February 07, 2017, 02:40:39 AM »
Keeper of the lake was nice.  Fun dungeon, good fights, decent amount of minor challenge.  Some good cutscenes too.

But holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck is this the worst translation I've ever seen in a game.  Like it's not just that the JP/English dialogue doesn't match up, but that they completely change the tone of characters ALL THE TIME and it drives me nuts.  Like dragon will say in JP something wise, godly and not malicious at all like "Hear me one who possess the echo, man sins and never learns from his sins, but if hydelian wills me to lend you strength, by the covenent I will watch over you, but I will test you", and in English he just yells "ISHGARD WILL BURN, DESTROY EVERYTHING MUHAHA, I will watch you and you will DIE by someone else's hand mwuhahaha"

Like, the fuck.  Even the last line I saw back at the Rising Stones base, after Knight girl says their defenses have always held up against dragons and will, Alphie say in JP "a war that's gone on for countless eras, how long must it continue..." and in English he says something to the effect of "defenses that always held up, yeah we'll see...", like they're saying completely different things.  And this is like every line in the game that has 10,000 lines.  Basically the english version feels like a bunch of people looking at the cutscenes with no script and then just making up their own dialogue and story with general plot cues given from Japan rather than actually like, localizing the Japanese script.  Drives me nuts.

I really hate playing it entirely in Japanese (text) because there's so much non-story text in the game it's a pain in the ass and so much easier playing in English.  But I can't deal with JP audio and english text when every voiced cutscene is two completely different stories going on at once and it's very difficult to follow.  Up until now the MSQ was so whatever I didn't really care about it, but now that the plot is picking up I'm just gonna switch to JP text for HW MSQ and it annoys me because if these localizing people actually did their job right I wouldn't have to  :maf

Bebpo

« Reply #692 on: February 07, 2017, 02:47:37 AM »
Wow, I googled terrible translation FFXIV and the second link is the exact scene I just watched that caused me to rant.  Reddit had an entire thread on how different the JP/Eng versions of that scene at the end of Keeper of the Lake is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2tc5fk/spoiler_midgardsomr_japanese_versus_english/

The translations on the JP side in that is kinda weak.  But like here's a part that strikes me as really different:

[Orange light pierces the PC and dispels the protection of Light]      

/english script
Heh heh heh. Mayhap thou thinkest me an oathbreaker?   
Thou art mistaken. If thou comest to harm, it shall be by another's hand, not mine.   
I did but strip thee of thy mistress's feeble blessing.   
Thou didst profit much by Her grace, but no more.   

/jp script
The Dragonclaw has pierced you and by my power I have chained the light given to you by Hydaelyn.
Though light itself always casts a shadow, and perhaps..even without my claw, that light may have dimmed.
Still, I made a promise to Her, And to you, blessed by her light, I shall not take your life.
But you are still a human, and like those of Ishgard one day you may foolishly sin as well.  If you do, know your life to be forfeit
[close]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:15:48 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #693 on: February 07, 2017, 03:17:44 AM »
Another bit that is totally saying different things WTF

/English
Fight and struggle, if be thy will.      
Man hath ever coveted that which lieth beyond his grasp.   

(aka, good luck fucker, you humans reach too far for your own good)

/JP
Make your destiny, special one. Break free from my claw by your own strength.
If you are truly special, perhaps you can lead humanity and bring an end to this war.  This is your trial.

(aka, good luck HERO, make your destiny, and stop this bullshit war; I'm rooting for ya!)

:maf :maf

i'm sorry but changing tone & characterization of people in localization is like the biggest sin in my translation book.  Really pisses me off.  Also I think I take this stuff more personally because I was pretty close to a life in the professional game translation career back in the day.  Generally the only time I'm pro tossing the original script away and going nuts is in comedy games where the original just isn't very funny (Paper Mario 2) and so you make your own jokes and funny.  I've seen that work a few times.  I'm also not anti-Alexander O' Smith's make everything british and old-english for medieval game translations.  It's not 1:1 accurate, but his stuff actually is like 99% accurate line by line but with some nice prose in the style.  That's another thing, you can localize with flavor by changing the style or little things here and there while staying true to the original dialogue and tone of the characters.  That's usually what good translations are.  They're maybe 90% accurate and that's totally fine.  100% accurate translates don't work and suck.  But FFXIV is like 20% accurate translation ^^;
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:41:45 AM by Bebpo »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #694 on: February 07, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »
You're further in that squad stuff than 99% of level 60 players.

Myself included.  :goty2

:lol

And yeah I may have gotten confused on the EX ones, I never actually did GarEx so I am going to have to do it this weekend.

Have seen the complaints  on translation before. The jp explanation for blessing makes more sense lol. You may want to keep it in Japanese cause you've a lot of dragon speeches to go!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #695 on: February 07, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »
be careful about reading too much about script changes bebps. i ran into a major hs spoiler doing that.
pcp

« Reply #696 on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
FFXIV's localization is a special case in that Koji Fox (FFXIV's Localization Director) is actually involved with the world lore creation for the game alongside main scenario writer Kazutoyo Maehiro. Hell, Koji was the person who came up with the entire dragon language used in the game. It's not an all an uncommon sentiment from JP players that use the English voices just because the dialogue can be more exciting than the JPN dub.

That said, Koji isn't perfect. There's specifically three instances where he kinda fucked up during localization: Nael van Baelsar's true nature/gender, Midgarsomr's early characterization/text, and one minor thing with Goblins during Heavensward. Outside of those three instances, there's really no problem with Koji's involvement on the localization, so you shouldn't let that deter you from using english text.

That said, there were still completely valid arguments for the choices he made with Midgarsorm at that point, in choosing to make him come across as more mysterious and vague rather than being fully up front with his reasoning for doing things, which requires a lot more extrapolation and reading between the lines. Cause i mean, he's the father of all the great dragons. Why would he be that self explanatory to someone he just met? And again, Koji is part of the team that creates the story for the whole game, so its not like his take on things isn't valid either.

Middy even says the "Ishgard will burn" line in japanese too, so its not like he pulled that out of his bum.  :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:01:27 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Bebpo

« Reply #697 on: February 07, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »
Story question, who was the emperor in 1.0?  Did he have a name, did you ever see him?  He's referenced a lot in this but it's all past tense so I have no idea who he was.

« Reply #698 on: February 07, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
That'd be Emperor Solus zos Galvus, tho we never actually see him in-game. He was the first Emperor of Garlemald until sometime after Gaius' defeat at the Praetorium, where he becomes ill (the reason why Garlean activity seems to die down after you beat them in 2.0) then dies of old age and is succeeded by his grandson after a civil war occurs in Garlemald (you learn about this from the doman refugees).

Varis, his grandson, spitting on Solus' casket.

Speaking of 1.0, since you finished Coil and are p much done with everything related to 1.0 by now, you're now free to watch both this retrospective on the 1.0 story and a complete re-telling of the Binding Coil of Bahamut's story starting from 1.0, to better help you fill any gaps you might have regarding those two things.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:18:35 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Bebpo

« Reply #699 on: February 07, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
Ok, this is crazy.  I got an email at 2:11pm that the Encyclopedia Eorzea book was back in stock, I logged in and don't have my password on me so I reset it, bought it and checked out.  Paid in Paypal.  After which at 2:19pm it goes "your email is confirmed but there's not enough stock for your order, so you'll get a email update".  Meanwhile the sale page now says waiting list or status is pending.

Year old book still selling out in 8 mins....FF fans are crazy dedicated.  I can't read it for another few months anyways until I catch up, so hopefully they'll get more stock by then but still annoying.  Looked on ebay and apparently these things go for $130-230, so probably a chunk of that are scalpers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:29:41 PM by Bebpo »

« Reply #700 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
That book ain't even a year old yet, it came out in October. Demand for it is craaaaaaaaaay.

Bebpo

« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2017, 05:51:22 PM »
At least I'm kinda lucky in that when I catch up to 3.5 if it's still out of stock and I haven't gotten it I can just pick up the JPN version which doesn't seem to have the same stock issues.  But I'll see what happens with this pending order.

That book ain't even a year old yet, it came out in October. Demand for it is craaaaaaaaaay.

Maybe they should try printing more?

« Reply #702 on: February 07, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
Man, its a 300 page book that has to be printed in two different languages to supply across the globe (with two whole regions sharing one of the two) and at every event they do. I ain't gonna begrudge them for not being able to keep it constantly stocked.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #703 on: February 08, 2017, 03:36:50 AM »
Thought I was at the end of 2.5 so kept playing but it seems to keep going and going.  Pretty good though.  I don't think 2.4 did much for me, 2.1-2.4 all had some great moments and all of them had some boring filler.  In 2.4 riding to snowcloak from dragonhead back and forth was lame.  2.5 started kinda slow outside of Keeper of the Lake which was great, but everything around Chrysalis and onwards is good. 

That fight hmmm, because of who you are fighting in Chrysalis I sorta expected the fight to somehow be different from a standard MMO boss, and more like a KH arpg boss but I guess you can't really do that in this combat system, so it was pretty much like every other boss and just ok and easy.  I'm curious what an extreme version of the fight would look like.  Apparently it's the only trial where there isn't a hard/extreme version?  That's...weird.  Extreme versions are the versions of the fights with perfect amount of complexity, without that it's just sorta going through motions.  Oh well, there's plenty of other trials.  When I googled for an extreme version I saw threads saying apparently this used to be a hard trial for people?  I mean our tank just said "when orb phase starts run into them and alternate red/black and after first meteor DPS rift and melee use LB on it" and that basically covered the entire fight and the rest was just normal beating up boss.  We had a lvl.3 LB so once the rift appeared the other ninja in our party immediately used all 3 levels on it and it went back to the main part.

Should finish 2.5 next time I play.  Took a look and have about 8 MSQs left.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:43:10 AM by Bebpo »

« Reply #704 on: February 08, 2017, 03:51:35 AM »
You would be surprised at how many people just completely flounder in that trial. Like, utterly. Whether they eat too many orbs of the same type, let a lot of them get eaten by Nabriales, focus on the comets during the time freeze part instead of the rift, etc. It's a very simple trial, but there's a lot of ways to fail it that involve people in the party just not paying attention to what they're doing and fuck it up for everyone else.

A lot of that fight really falls on the tanks and healers. Nabriales will often use Double and Triple to repeatedly hit the MT with Spark, the latter of which will kill any tank if not healed/CD'd through. Then during the time inversion, I've seen way way way too many off tanks that just ignore the comets instead of tanking them, leading to very quick wipes before the rift can even be destroyed.  >:(

Pre-emptively, your next trial is one that got massively tuned down from its original release version. but this time for good reason. You'll see why.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:57:18 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Bebpo

« Reply #705 on: February 08, 2017, 03:59:08 AM »
Well on the time inversion it seems like if you just know to use LB3 on it you get to skip that entire phase.  I mean literally the rift appeared and 5 seconds later the phase was over with a LB3 on it.  But yeah, it seems like the main challenge is tank/healer-based and it's pretty simple for DPS.

« Reply #706 on: February 08, 2017, 04:35:52 AM »
If you can land the lb3, yeah that phase ends instantly. But the tear doesn't show up until after the first comet hits, then in the time it takes for a dps to find the tear, run up to and charge up the lb, a wipe can happen if the tanks haven't done their thing. Compound this with the /type/ of LB, cause it's possible to go into that fight without a melee lb to instantly blow it up (cause ranged takes longer to go off/does less damage).

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #707 on: February 08, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
I'd say when that comes up in the roulette, the party still wipes more often than not. I think it's the first non-optional trial that has complex mechanics so a lot of sprouts try to coast on it and end up wiping the team.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #708 on: February 08, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
I guess I got lucky since I just used df and we beat it on the first try no problems.  Don't even think anyone died.  Went real quick.  But it helped our tank explained the mechanics at the start.  Myself and one bard were new to it, the rest had done it before.

Lucretius

« Reply #709 on: February 08, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
I'm basically just treading water keeping up with Scripture Tomestones until the next patch comes out, so....

I reinstalled FFXI. Gonna power level to 99 and solo all the story content. I beta tested it back when it first came out but never finished any of the main story lines.
lip

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #710 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
You lucked out, chrysalis is the WORST.

Freyj

« Reply #711 on: February 08, 2017, 06:56:43 PM »
I'm basically just treading water keeping up with Scripture Tomestones until the next patch comes out, so....

I reinstalled FFXI. Gonna power level to 99 and solo all the story content. I beta tested it back when it first came out but never finished any of the main story lines.

I did this about two years ago and boy does it still take forever to travel from story quest to story quest. Definitely worth it, but I only got through the first part of Aht Urhgan before stopping.

Bebpo

« Reply #712 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:21 PM »
Well, my plans for tonight got cancelled so I guess I will be stepping foot into Foundation tonight :)

and then stepping back out and not actually starting HW for a month or so after a break ;P
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #713 on: February 08, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
You lucked out, chrysalis is the WORST.

I'd say when that comes up in the roulette, the party still wipes more often than not. I think it's the first non-optional trial that has complex mechanics so a lot of sprouts try to coast on it and end up wiping the team.

Yeah, PT's reasoning makes sense.  I mean for me it's like if you've been doing all the side-content, Crystal Tower, Extreme primals, Bahamut, Hard version dungeon bosses, then it's like whatever and easy.  But there can people who skip all of that and just run the MSQ and this is the first time they've encountered stuff like running into alternating balls (CT had a fight like that) or dodging meteors (nothing compared to T9). 

I feel bad for anyone who skips all the side-stuff and sticks to the MSQ since all the lvl.50 side-stuff is the best parts of the game.  I think Diablo was probably my favorite lvl.50 dungeon boss.  But FF's Diablo has always been one of my favorite summon designs.

Bebpo

« Reply #714 on: February 09, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
Woooooooooow
Wow
Wooooow

:o :o :o

The end of 2.5 was amazing.  I'm glad I've been lucky enough to not see any spoilers for the MSQ.  I could see where they were going from the earlier setup but still that was masterfully done.  Felt like a Kiseki/Trails ending.  Really satisfying finale to ARR and good Ep1 ending with enough setup throughout the long game to make the coming episodes interesting.  Man, that felt like single player good rpg, not an MMO.  If the story telling and presentation can maintain that level from here on out then damn, this is gonna be good.

It's unfortunate that the last boss fight in ARR is literally the only terrible fight in the entire 250+ hours of pre-3.0 game.  That fight was so bad and boring.  It's the only fight I never want to do again and when it comes up in a roulette I'm gonna groan.  Especially since I love trial roulette and everything else is great.  Rolled Leviathon tonight for my daily and man, that is actually a really fun & cool looking  fight!

Bebpo

« Reply #715 on: February 09, 2017, 02:26:58 AM »
Glad to see in the post-credit scenes that:

Rauban is still alive.  RAGE FUELED ONE-ARMED BADASS.  He was always my favorite NPC character so turning him into Guts from Berserk is cool!

Still man, I saw the Nanamo stuff coming from like 2.3/2.4 where they were hinting heavily at it and everything was dramatized and focused on her in a way that was going to happen, but that still sucked to see.  I really liked her character.  Her and Rauban were the most human and interesting.  The other city leaders are still pretty one-dimensional at this point.  RIP NANAMO  :(
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #716 on: February 09, 2017, 02:41:19 AM »
So now just gonna clean up a few more pre-HW items.  Gonna do the rest of the 2.3-2.5 Hildebrand quests, Lev/Ramuh/Shiva extreme fights and finishing watching the Lancer/Dragoon job quests (I've seen through lvl.15 lancer on youtube so far).  All that is pretty quick and probably just take a few more sessions.  I'm almost tempted to get at least my mining/goldsmith up to 50 since they're almost at 35/35 already (rest of my crafters at 30 across the board, Botany is 30 as well).  That way I can have a lvl.50 crafting class to go into HW with and 2 lvl.50 gathering classes.  Up to 2.15 gil now.  It was fun passing the 2 million mark :)

But yeah, gonna wrap up some of those loose ends so I can feel like I'm "done" with ARR and then take a break for bit to play other games and then come back and blow straight through 3.0-3.x right before Stormblood comes out.

Bebpo

« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2017, 04:17:27 AM »
I'm retrospect, 2.5 really delivered in MSQ.

Keeper of the lake, 2 boss fights, all the scenes surrounding Chrysalis, the Dragons taking flight, that ending.  So much good stuff in a single 5-8 hours of MSQ.  If only the rest of the ARR moved at this pace.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #718 on: February 09, 2017, 04:17:55 AM »
hit reply instead of edit  :'(

Lucretius

« Reply #719 on: February 09, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
The 3.00 MSQ is way better than ARR, imho.
lip