Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 218064 times)

Bebpo

Re: I got FFXIV
« Reply #840 on: February 26, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »
Some HW questions:

So I keep doing these blue "+" sidequests in west coerthas that give me green aetherite items.  I also got the compass and I've been collecting the green wind circles on the map.  Am I supposed to be able to fly yet?  Because I have a flying mount and I can't figure out how to fly.  I thought it was like flying uses that green current stuff so you find it and then fly from one of those spots, but that doesn't seem to be it.  So right now I have no idea what these green crystals I'm getting from blue "+" quests do, or how to fly.

Also at some point is there a new hunting log for HW areas?  I'm grabbing the daily hunts from the clan board and kill the occasional one I run into.

When do I get the new sightseeing log for the HW areas?

Otherwise I'm at the part where I just unlocked the dusk vigil.  So the first actual multiplayer part of HW is...an optional sidequest?  Weird how there's no MP so far in the main story.  Like the instanced battles with npcs are an improvement from previous solo instanced content, but I'd much rather be constantly doing MP every hour in the main story either for a dungeon or trial because that's the real deal.  The instanced NPC fights/mini-dungeons are ok but they're not that satisfying.  I wonder if they're trying to move away from forced MP in the MSQ so that people can play through the story without having to wait in long queues?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #841 on: February 26, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »
you need to get all crystals in a map before you can fly there. collect all the icons around the map and complete all quests that give you one. there's a log that keeps track.

the sightseeing log is in the first town of the dravanian hinterlands; someone on the bridge gives it to you.

no new hunting log

dusk vigil is optional? Explains why I've only played it like once in roulette. iirc there's six other maps in hs, all mandatory. theta a good number of maps available after 3.0 story is over tho.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #842 on: February 26, 2017, 10:01:47 PM »
Well that's bs.  So this is one of those games where you have to scour and fill out the entire map and then you get useful transportation that you don't even need anymore at that point.  Also I guess this means the MSQ won't have flying in it since it's such a big task just to get it for each area.

Also kinda takes away from the "+" blue quests.  Instead of unlocking something cool, like a new feature/gameplay system as you progress through HW areas, it's just a bunch of crystals you need to eventually get to fly in an area.

Hmmm.  For the most part I'm liking everything about HW, but I don't like this or the lack of fast travel points.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #843 on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »
well you don't need fast travel once you unlock flying :p

they keep you from flying early bc they want the story to unfold a specific way, so you can't just up and fly around all the sea of clouds, for example. so flying doesn't play much of a part during the main story, but ofc you'll be using it non-stop every time you enter a hs map afterwards, guaranteed.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #844 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
Ok, yeah that makes sense and you can use it for the 3.x content.  So then is SB gonna have flying?  And then if flying mounts are now a thing so every expansion will continue to have flying, the question is whether at some point they'll go back and retrofit the ARR areas to have flying as well so they don't stick out as the only non-flying areas in the game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:47:47 PM by Bebpo »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #845 on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »
people have been asking for flying in 2.0 for years, but i can't see them essentially remaking the game for a third time. not that I'd complain if they reworked them, but i think for the most part the original maps work fine as is.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2017, 04:02:20 AM »
Got to experience flying for the first time when I took a chocobo porter.  Pretty cool!  And actually that makes the porters useful on these big maps since you can just take one from the teleport spot and they'll fly quickly to the nearest camp you want to go to.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2017, 11:09:51 PM »
THEY NERFED CRYSTAL SAND GATHERING PRAISE HYDAELYN
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #848 on: February 28, 2017, 12:01:18 AM »
THEY NERFED CRYSTAL SAND GATHERING PRAISE HYDAELYN

???

« Reply #849 on: February 28, 2017, 12:07:35 AM »
Relic shit bebpo will never have to deal with.  :lol

I never once thought crystal sands were a problem. Spam leves for treasure chests, get amber, drop the leve, retry it and repeat. And if that fails, there's still 50 other ways to get them. Meamwhile, Umbrite was an asinine grind of needing 300 lore for a single rock as the only way to get them. At least now a single ARF/60/expert roulette will get you an umbrite.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #850 on: February 28, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
crystal sands are tough to get it you're lazy like me
pcp

« Reply #851 on: February 28, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
Anima Weapons: The Saga Ends   :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #852 on: February 28, 2017, 11:18:08 PM »
Oh, did today's patch include the last part of the quest?

« Reply #853 on: February 28, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
Yup! i275 weapons with the substats of our choice. Would rather not think about all it took to get there.

Today's final step is more of a victory lap after the hump that was the 260 > 270 step.

Lucretius

« Reply #854 on: March 01, 2017, 12:14:54 AM »
Took a break from FFXI to log in and do my victory lap for my i275 spear relic.  Also did the Proto Ultima quest.

Now back to Red Mage/Dancer.
lip

Bebpo

« Reply #855 on: March 01, 2017, 12:43:34 AM »
So does that mean the final MSQ came out today prior to SB?  Was the 3.55 MSQ ending as amazing as 2.55?

Lucretius

« Reply #856 on: March 01, 2017, 01:09:29 AM »
no MSQ in this patch.  There's another patch coming early March, but I think it's just adding Diadem and something else relatively minor in.  I don't know if we're getting another MSQ patch before Stormblood.  I hope so though.
lip

« Reply #857 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:45 AM »
We are. 3.55b is the Diadem re-introduction, then 3.56 will have the second part of the 3.5 story introducing the Othard characters / set up Stormblood.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:37:56 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Bebpo

« Reply #858 on: March 01, 2017, 03:38:30 AM »
Well, I got this far without being spoiled on the MSQ so that's a pretty good run I guess.  Logged on a bit to walk into Dravania and people were chatting on the FC and someone goes

3.5 spoilers I guess:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
So is Palpymo dying the end of the MSQ for now?
[close]

And then everyone is like uh, spoilers dude, and then everyone else is all yeaaaaah and the dude goes "oh, I thought everyone knew that already"  :|

Bebpo

« Reply #859 on: March 01, 2017, 03:55:23 AM »
I really like HW though, so that's a plus.  Fun areas, reaaaaally good music, good interesting MSQ with characters and things happening and I haven't even gotten to any of the dungeons/trials/raids/job quests yet (have dusk vigil unlocked in duty Finder, just gotta sit down and do it).

Also got my first crafter to 45 and the lvl.50 recipes are unlocked (at least viewable).  Yeah tons of stuff to craft at 50.  Looking forward to hitting that number and that's before any of the recipe books.  Rest of crafters are around 35 now, Mining is 40 & Botany 36.  I feel like doing turn ins gets me like 5-6 levels a month across the board, whereas dedicating 4-5 hours in a day can get me 5-10 levels on a single job with leves.  Just gotta figure out most efficient use of time to get them all to 50...then 60.

Bebpo

« Reply #860 on: March 01, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »
Hmmm, yeah.  Now that I think about it I've got like 7.5 million gil I'm not using and if I spent just 1-2 million on batch materials for leve request items I could sit at the leves and keep turning them in and probably get from 35-50 with my entire crafting group in a weekend.  May do that...

Bebpo

« Reply #861 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
Is it just me or do the women's fashion items (clothing) look way better than the guy's fashion in this game?  I feel like there's hardly any good looking stylish non-armor clothes for guys and if you're a guy your best bet is to just get some cool armor or something.  Women have tons of nice dresses and other stuff.  Which is weird because like FFXV is all about men's fashion, so I'd think there'd be better fashion options for guys.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #862 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
yeah imo most outfits that aren't heavy armors look like they were designed look like they were designed for women first then adapted. you've always got that fantasia potion!
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #863 on: March 02, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »
Results of today's test:

lvl.45 Goldsmith -> lvl.50 goldsmith using leves and buying HQ items off MB = 20 mins total, ~200k, around 25 leves
lvl.33 Leatherworker -> lvl.48 leatherworker buying materials off MB & crafting myself since no HQ leve items available on MB = ~1 hour total, ~250k, used all remaining 75 leves when I hit about midway through lvl.48

Currently doing the Ixali trade-ins and Ixali quests to see if I can get that last level and a half so leatherworker hits lvl.50
Oh and during the time that I spent the above about 500k on stuff I sold about 200k worth of profit items.

Overall thoughts on this method:
Rather than taking another 2-3 weeks of GC turn-ins every day for 45 mins or so of my time each day (~20 hours) to get the rest of my crafters from ~lvl.35-lvl.50.  It makes more sense from efficiency to once a week when I restock my leves back to 100 allowance, I spend 250k and 1 hour to get a crafting class to lvl.50.  Especially since I easily make at least 500k a week on the MB which pays for this.

In the meantime, while waiting for my leves to fill back up I'll keep doing my dailies and turning in HQ items as much as possible.

But now that I hit lvl.50 with at least one crafter (maybe two, I'll see in about an hour).  I can finally do the lvl.50 + quest in mordhana and start buying recipe books and crafting glamors and other cool items.  Once I have all my crafters/gatherers to lvl.50 I'm fine not focusing on them until I've finished HW, but still doing daily GC turn-ins so they level a bit (like my fishing class just from doing GC turn-ins since I hit 50, not doing any fishing at all really, already went from lvl.50->55 in the background).

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #864 on: March 02, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
i finally started gladiator and my god that is so much better to use that marauder. like marauder is completely fucking useless unless you have flash. every other class I played at least worked, but as far as I can tell marauder is a completely useless and inadequate in its own. a single aoe enmity-generating attack would fix this, but oh well.
pcp

« Reply #865 on: March 02, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »

.....Overpower? It actually does damage unlike flash? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #866 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
what level do you get that at
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #867 on: March 02, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »
uhhh it looks like you get it at level 12 what in the tarnations

no wonder I was having so much trouble. this is why I should never play tank.
pcp

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #868 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
I got kind of back in to clear most of the new content (on last Alex still and haven't done Dun yet) but got a bit tired of SLOPPEH.

Over past week or so have been dicking around with crafting, but Bebpo is making me feel ashamed lol. I only had Miner to 60, and GSM to 52 or so :lol

Other ones were anywhere from 5-20ish? All are at least 30 now. Fishing is the worst.

Agree best to just leve grind certain sellable recipe's if able. Making money really isn't too hard in game at moment...but I am too cheap to squander my millions crafting  :'(

SpeedStats

« Reply #869 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
LOL, this is why I don't tank either. I get way too stressed out.  I'm just like "oh god i need to position everything so no one gets pissed off. oh god why didn't the ninja shadewalker me. oh god why isn't the healer using shroud. oh god this is too hard"

I'd rather heal and get mad at everyone instead. :D

OH YEAH IDOL EVENT WOOOOOOOOOOO

I started the Zhloe questline they added today. I think it's moreso intended for people who are 0-2* level 60 crafters/gatherers because the crafts are pretty easy, and you can just do a bare minimum crafting HQ rotation for max collectability (though that being said I have a lot of my crafting pieces overmelded, so it isn't intended for me). I assume that you can do a bare minimum collectability rotation for gathering too (for Sunblade to reference in the future since he gathers).  If I wasn't still working on three more relics, I would've been kind of irritated that they didn't bother adding something like this in 3.1 but hey free blue/red scrips + Crafting/Gathering 5 materia, so it's okay.  I appreciated the moogle quests for being easy as heck too. The first crafts are level 57 so they're easier going than regular scrips.

I think the NPC is funny so ... hey at least 3.55a makes me laugh so far?

~also woooooooo Onix Sunblade and I finished our first out of four relic weapons~

I have zero sense of accomplishment because I'm not finished the rest ;~;

Bonus:

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #870 on: March 02, 2017, 09:14:35 PM »
LOL that 2nd bonus pic  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #871 on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »
Ixali quests were a bust.  Couldn't even get my 1.5 levels needed to get to 50.  Anything other than the Ixali turn-in quest is a total waste of time for the craft xp you get (basically 1 leve worth of xp).  I ended up just busting out my crafting recipe book and crafting all the level 45-50 items and that gave me enough xp to hit lvl.50 with leatherworker.  Each item you craft around that level gives about 1/3rd of what you'd get for a lvl.45 levequest (~70k, so you get about 30-35k per crafted item in the recipe book).

SpeedStats

« Reply #872 on: March 02, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
I ended up doing the crafting beast tribes in reverse since I joined during 2.5. 

That is: I refused to craft until Heavensward, so I ended up doing crafting leves to level up my crafters + did GC turn-ins every day + used the manuals you get from GCs + put our crafting buffs up. They released Moogle crafting quests in... 3.3? I think?  Those crafting quests are super-duper easy, and sometimes don't even require high quality. I didn't get the full benefits of them because by then I had almost every crafter to 60, but the XP is very good. I don't think anyone really /likes/ the Ixali quests, because they handicap you so if you're an omnicrafter you cry every time you have to do something in Mor Dhona.

It's too bad that I don't think you can use the xp from moogle quests for crafters under 50, though.

I dunno. I both love and dislike crafting in this game because I feel like the crafting/gathering systems get shafted. I can't bother to do everything there is to do with gathering because Timed Nodes Are A Thing, and it kind of feels like you're a little limited in terms of how you level them up or gear them up? At least it's going to get easier to get Crafting 5/Gathering 5 materia now with the new Zhloe quests? idk. I hope they focus a little more on crafting in Stormblood but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh and I did a dungeon today as healer and was with 3 first timers and the arcanist DPS decided they wanted to be THE HEALER and would keep healing the tank instead of dps-ing.  I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be an ass but I was think STOP HEALING, DO DPS THAT IS YOUR JOB.  So instead I went cleric mode and did nothing but DPS as Conjurer lol

Like, the arcanist seemed worried everytime the tank HP would drop down like 100HP and he'd instantly go into a heal.  For me I don't worry about healing the tank until their down to about 30-40% HP unless they are constantly getting hit hard where I'll heal them non-stop.  But if it's just some trash mobs, I don't see any problem in DPS-ing until the tank is down to 1/3rd HP and then healing the tank back up and going back to DPS-ing and repeat.  But I can see how that might scare some people seeing the tank HP dropping down to 1/3rd.

I hate it when arcanists do that, so I end up being kind of passive-aggressive and go "ok you want to heal? Go ahead?"

I base when I start healing on the first pull, so I do a lot of observing and I guess I heal more depending on the tank and dungeon/pull made.  When Sunblade tanks, I know that I can go into pulls with Cleric on because it gives me time to set up my debuffs and dots as scholar, or Holy + Regen + 2x Holy + Assize + Holy as White Mage.

If I heal a rando, I guess I do more observation.  The first thing I do when I go into a leveling dungeon is I inspect everyone's equipment real quick before we start or as I'm casting protect so I can gauge how much I'm going to heal. It comes with some experience when you can gauge how fast the HP falls when the tank makes a big pull, but in earlier dungeons, if the tank's HP drops like a rock, I'll heal more.  If the tank's HP is ok, then I heal less and go into Cleric more easily. 

I don't like to start healing until the tank is 50-60% full because when they go down to less than that, a critical or multiple criticals from enemies will probably kill them if their CDs are down and sometimes you don't even know if they're up or not (especially in 40-60+ dungeons when enemies hit harder and they make bigger pulls -- good example is one of the endgame dungeons in 60 roulette where Sunblade made a huge pull, but ended up dying because he got like 5 crits in a row then died when he could usually handle not getting healed so I'd rather be safe than sorry). I usually stay in cleric until then.  I think 60-70% full is ok to start healing DPS, but every healer is different and has a different criteria for when they start and stop healing. 

The best advice that I can give, especially when you have a cohealer, is that you want to do everything 50-50 so that you aren't putting stress on anyone. Let your tank use his cooldowns, and you know DPS have Second Wind unless they're casters or Machinist.  Just don't go into the role thinking you /need/ to dps because your priority is to keep everyone alive and to be super-observant.  But that comes with a lot of practice and time.

Just don't be me and let the healer role make you be jaded towards every party you come into contact with lol.

I kinda thought healer was easy mode in MP since you just sit back and heal the tank or medica and get some dps in no worries.  Then I did the Ifrit battle!  Managing healing the tank, healing other members getting hit by AoE who might not be close enough for Medica to get everyone while dodging the AoE's directed at you..caught me by surprise and was a bit chaotic.  Definitely broke a sweat.

What are some good tips for Conjurer/White Mage?

I only recently picked up WHM last patch, and Sunblade was the one who taught me how to WHM but...
-When you've got a good handle on how your tank in low level roulette, feel free to Aero everything in a group then hammer away with Stone/Stone II (whichever one is better depending on what you get in roulette) on the thing the dps are hitting.
-White Mage is considered the Reactive Healer.  I main Scholar, which is the proactive healer (ie: I shield for incoming damage versus cleaning up the mess after), so it was a huge adjustment. You can cast a regen to make up for damage lost on the tank, though, but use it during a pull or after the tank has secured aggro.
-Cross-classing Blizzard II from Black Mage is the best thing you can do. You don't have an AoE early on, and 90% of the time everyone's going to be hitting everything (especially the tank to keep hate on every monster in a pack) so sleep is kinda useless. If you have Blizzard II, it's super useful for lower levels or if you don't want to burn too much MP using a Holy spam.
-At level 38 you get Shroud of Saints which restores MP to you gradually, AND decreases the amount of aggro you generate (kind of like Quelling or throwing a Smoke Screen at them). Best thing you can do is use this at 60% MP or use it when you notice that you're getting more aggro than the tank can generate.
-I've seen a lot of starter White Mages do this for some reason but... don't keep casting Medica in situations that don't need it. 1-2 people taking damage? Use Cure or Cure II on them. Casting Medica will generate more aggro on your part and you want to minimise how many times you use it based on that and based on your magic usage.
-Use Medica when you're in range of everyone. I've seen White Mages even in 60 content still use it when they're not standing close to ANYONE.
-Never cast regen on the tank before every pull. When the tank pulls, all the enemies will come to you instead because you're the one who generated aggro pre-pull. Cast Stoneskin (level 34) near the end of a pull.
-Use Fluid Aura on enemies when they're about to die (but we covered that the other night) so melee and tanks won't be caught off-guard.
-Swiftcast is life.
-Good Cross-Class skills are Blizzard II, Swiftcast, Virus, Eye for an Eye, and Surecast. Virus/E4E are untraited but they'll still work as intended at base level. Just make sure you cast Virus when you notice something big is coming and NOT at the start of a fight.

-I want to rip Medica II off of every White Mage's hotbar for life.  It's a great skill but it's so often misused that it's frustrating to see White Mages use it as a crutch or when they want to be lazy and afk/watch netflix.

I'm not sure what else.  I play all three healers to an extent so just ask.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:20:33 PM by SpeedStats »

Bebpo

« Reply #873 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »
Thanks, that's really helpful!

I just took a look at post-50 crafting with my Goldsmith and it seems really confusing.  I blew a ton of money on the MB and got the best lvl 50 crafting gear on sale which put me around i55 or i56.  Unlocked the first couple master recipe books (demimateria and goldsmith 1) but to get goldsmith II book or i70 weapon I need to make Rose Gold Cogs HQ and Calibrated Rose Gold Cog HQ and I'm below the craftsmanship level to craft a Rose Gold Cog by like 3 star points on craftsmanship and 1 below control (so I can't just use food to make up the missing one).

I unlocked scrip turn ins and the first item for Goldsmith was a lvl. 51 accessory.  I bought the mats and crafted it...but it's greyed out at the script turn in and says I don't have the required item in my inventory.  I've triple checked and it's the exact item being requested.  Does it have to be HQ or something?  I don't get what's going on.  Looking at the scrip exchange it seems much simpler and easy to understand compared to the HQ turn ins for lvl.50 i70/i90 gear.  Scrip seems like you just turn in like the GC, get blue scrip currency and then use it to buy better gear, new recipes.  I like that but I gotta figure out how to turn an item in?

Also HW mats are a lot pricier on the MB.  I need to get my miner/bot to 50 before I try crafting to 60 so I can get the mats myself.

« Reply #874 on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:43 PM »
You need to have collectable synthesis turned on when crafting to create a collectable to turn in. Items created with the skill on are unique/untradeable and don't stack with each other due to having a unique value assigned to them.

Bebpo

« Reply #875 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »
Ok, googled it and I think it's because I didn't use the collectible skill on it when crafting it.  Also I saw something that said collectible turn ins are for lvl.56+?  Can I start doing it at lvl.50?

Also googling around about post-lvl.50 crafting and unlocking master recipe books, gearing up, etc... this looks like it gets expensive FAST.  Like sub-level 50 crafting is pretty cheap and your retainer can always grab what you need in a pinch, but post-level 50 is like demimateria and hard to get materials and things are tough to craft and expensive.

Honestly doesn't really sound fun.  I think I may put this on the backburner (still do my GC daily turn-ins) and just focus on the battle jobs at this point and playing through HW.  Maybe after I'm done with HW if SB isn't out yet, I'll focus on the crafting end-game.

You need to have collectable synthesis turned on when crafting to create a collectable to turn in. Items created with the skill on are unique/untradeable and don't stack with each other due to having a unique value assigned to them.

Yeah, well, now I know at least :|  The lvl.51 item was pretty tough to craft with my i55 lvl.50 character.  Feels way harder than sub-50 crafting was.  I'm using food & the FC crafting facilties too.

« Reply #876 on: March 02, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »
It's cause the difficulty rating of the 51 crafts is that much higher due to the huge gulf between starting level 50 and endgame 50 crafts. Just gotta level up your crafters there to overcome that hump.

Bebpo

« Reply #877 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:33 PM »
It's cause the difficulty rating of the 51 crafts is that much higher due to the huge gulf between starting level 50 and endgame 50 crafts. Just gotta level up your crafters there to overcome that hump.

Should I be aiming for the original ARR lvl.50 endgame progression?  Crafting cogs and stuff to get i70 gear, then i90 gear, etc...
Or should I skip that, level up to 60 using GC turn-ins, collectible turn-ins and leves and then go directly from the i55 gear I have now to the i125 blue script gear?

The ARR endgame/post-game ilevel stuff makes it really confusing and weird when you're in HW.  Like I'm lvl.56 Ninja now (but only at lvl.51 MSQ) and I'm still using my i130 augmented ironworks gear.

« Reply #878 on: March 02, 2017, 11:58:39 PM »
Nah, just like with the battle gear, you can get the leveling gear introduced in HW and bypass the level 50 progression entirely. There's no reason to do the 50 quests for crafting outside of getting the mastery books.

Augmented Poetic allows players to have a leg up during Heavensward content. Once you get to the level 55 dungeon, gear will start to drop that's a higher ilvl than that.

Bebpo

« Reply #879 on: March 03, 2017, 12:36:31 AM »
Yeah, ok.  So I spent a lot of money.  Bought the most expensive crafting food there is for like 50,000 gil for one use.  And tried crafting a bunch of rose gold cogs.  Got 2 HQ ones, traded them in for the i70 Goldsmith weapon.  Increased my ilevel by...1 to i56.  To get the next i90 weapon I need a non-HQ calibrated gold cog, tried to do that since I have the materials, too low craftsmenship level by a few points.

Also I made my collectable and turned it in...and all I got was a small amount of xp, no scrips. 
I looked around on the mb at different levels and now it all makes sense.

Basically FFXIV expansion gear doesn't start until 5 levels in.  So HW gear is 55-65, SB gear at lvl.64 will be weaker than the highest endgame HW gear which is essentially lvl.65 gear.  And SB will be 65-75 gear.  Basically, it seems like with crafting, I just level up until 55/56, then I can buy cheap gear that's better than what I have and I can use that to make items for scrips which I start getting at 56 and then use those for i125 crafter gear.  With my Ninja job, I just coast with my i130 gear and then when the MSQ gets to 56 I'll start getting higher stuff.  I think I get it now.  When I was looking at the MB, once I get my crafter to lvl.60 I can buy cheap gear that will basically double my craftsmanship/control stats and make all the lvl.50 post-game crafting much easier.

Bebpo

« Reply #880 on: March 03, 2017, 12:49:48 AM »
Also I realized at this point I don't know how to craft ^^;  I'm reading these rotations and I never use half these abilities.  I don't even understand what most of them do...I need to read some guides on how crafting works. 

My rotation at this point for all my crafters is basically:

-Steady Hand
-The progress version 2 that costs 15 CP
-repeat if necessary until within 1 turn of "safe" finish with the 100% success, 90% progress move so I know I can finish it when there's 10 left no matter what
-Great strides (for 2x quality on next move)
-Lower recipe level
-HQ touch version 3
-HQ touch version 3
-HQ touch version 3 or 2 if I'm out of cp
-The cp92 skill that gives 3 turns back
-Hasty touches x however many turns are left
-final move the safe 100% progress move for completion
*all while using the skill that gives 20CP back on random turns whenever it pops up.

« Reply #881 on: March 03, 2017, 01:18:49 AM »
The first few levels of collectible turn ins don't give scrips, but they do give a nice chunk of xp if you meet the quality rating.

Basically bebpo, endgame crafting revolves around the use of one skill: Byregot's Blessing.

Increases quality.

Efficiency: 100% plus 20% for each bonus to control granted by Inner Quiet
Success Rate: 90%
Level 50 Carpenter.

Don't even bother crafting level 50+ stuff without it. It's not worth it. The average endgame rotation varies, but usually revolves around:

• Inner Quiet
  • Steady Hand 1/2
  • Hasty Touch as many times as you can within the allowed durability
  • Manipulation/Master's Mend to recover durability if needed.
  • Steady Hand 1
  • Great Strides
  • Optional: Innovation
  • Byregot's Blessing
  • Finish the craft with the Synthesis steps needed.

Bebpo

« Reply #882 on: March 03, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »
Yeah, I just read a long guide on crafting.  One thing I never knew was that condition effected your quality increases on touch.  I always used tricks of the trade on good condition to get back 20CP so I'd lose out on all the good condition touches, which explains some things.

Also had no idea how inner quiet worked.  Now I know.

But then yeah, stuff like Byregot and Steady Hands II...I just don't have them yet.  So I gotta get the rest of my crafters up to 50 and unlock the full set of skills.  Will make things much easier.

Bebpo

« Reply #883 on: March 03, 2017, 03:25:38 AM »
Ok, kinda getting the hang of it.  Using inner quiet and stacking as much as possible with basic or standard touches, hitting big jumps with advance touch on good or excellent turns.  Got Goldsmith to lvl.51 just doing some crafting tests and unlocked Byregot's not-blessing that does 150% + 10% for each IQ stack with 70% success rate.  At this point can HQ 1-star lvl.50 items no problem.  Now just need to get the other classes up and get mining/botany up so I don't have to keep buying the mats.

Did the Ninja lvl.52 job quest.  I'm assuming the only usefulness of smoke bomb (reduce enmity for 20 seconds) is to throw on a healer sometimes?  Like Goad on the tank?  Took a look at the next lvl.54 action and it seems pretty boring/useless too (Armor Break) as it's just a just a slightly weaker combo finisher that extends Huton for 30 seconds so you make up the DPS a little with the extra skill speed for those 30 seconds (can't imagine it's much).

Hoping at some point in the lvl.50->60 job path, I'll actually get a useful new move for NIN that will change up my rotation.

*edit* actually if Armor Crush works so that you can constantly push up the timer on huton 30 seconds to the point where you only have to cast huton once at the start and then AC keeps it alive the whole fight so you save having to use a mudra on it every ~3rd or 4th mudra and can use that mudra on an attack instead, then that should be a pretty decent move.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:34:16 AM by Bebpo »

« Reply #884 on: March 03, 2017, 03:51:05 AM »
Armor Crush is Nin's big game changer in HW. With it, you gain a side combo finisher to use when hitting the rear isn't an option, and are able to keep Huton up indefinitely in battle making it so those extra Ninjutsu that would have gone towards refreshing Huton are freed up for offensive stuff.

SpeedStats

« Reply #885 on: March 03, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
Did the Ninja lvl.52 job quest.  I'm assuming the only usefulness of smoke bomb (reduce enmity for 20 seconds) is to throw on a healer sometimes?  Like Goad on the tank?  Took a look at the next lvl.54 action and it seems pretty boring/useless too (Armor Break) as it's just a just a slightly weaker combo finisher that extends Huton for 30 seconds so you make up the DPS a little with the extra skill speed for those 30 seconds (can't imagine it's much).

Hoping at some point in the lvl.50->60 job path, I'll actually get a useful new move for NIN that will change up my rotation.
You don't always need to use Goad on the tank, because a lot of DRKs don't care for it, and some paladins don't need it, but absolutely goad at the start of a boss on a Warrior. They love that shit. I just do it habitually because I used to do it on Sunblade back when Paladin was more TP intensive.  I do it even now because he plays Warrior.  It's good if you do because a lot of people plain don't see Goad, but its CD is long and sometimes you'll need it for your partner in a trash pull or a WAR who needs to overpower a lot.

Sometimes I just save it for the monk or other NIN or Bard or MCH in a trash pull because they're using as much TP as I am.

As for Smoke Bomb, I feel like it needs a buff and when I originally levelled Ninja, I didn't use it as much, but I just throw it on dumb healers who don't use Shroud, healers who are going to Holy spam, Monks, burst-heavy MCHs, higher geared (ex: Alexandrian/Augmented) players, etc.  It's useful but not as useful as Quelling or Shroud would be. 

Ninja at 60 is pretty much similar to Ninja 50. You're just able to use more Mudra skills and weave them through your rotation.  Ninjas are moreso for utility because of goad, shadewalker, smoke bomb, trick attack, dancing edge, etc.  The jobs with bigger changes in HW are pretty much everything else. Dragoon gets more timers, Monk gets more ogcds (but that's Sunblade to talk about since he plays monk), BLM gets more timers and a heavier rotation than they did up to 50, Bard gets more timers to think about (but I love it and I love WM srynotsry), etc.

*edit* actually if Armor Crush works so that you can constantly push up the timer on huton 30 seconds to the point where you only have to cast huton once at the start and then AC keeps it alive the whole fight so you save having to use a mudra on it every ~3rd or 4th mudra and can use that mudra on an attack instead, then that should be a pretty decent move.
Armour Crush is a GAME CHANGER. You never should have to huton again unless your pulls are slow and your tank runs slow and your huton falls down to 20s. It changes the Ninja 60 rotation completely and allows your opener to have more burst to it.  I use Armor Crush usually when there's 20-25 left on my huton.

The 60 opener is:
Huton is already up (I usually try to armor crush the last enemy on the last pull so I don't have to do it before the boss pull and thus would have to either ask the tank to wait 20s or just put a huton up anyway and wait 20s to do your actual opener (which screws the mch or blm or bard or what have you cuz they won't have the 10s of vuln up to take advantage of for THEIR opener so sometimes you have to suck it up and kassatsu with a suiton in that case).

Suiton -> Trick Attack (Kassatsu) -> Raiton (you should be in the process of doing a spinning edge -> AE combo here + a potion if you have a WAR, if not, you have no choice but to DoT and then DE then AE), then your normal rotation. With Armor Crush you can just keep using mudra on attacks than hutons, so armor crush helps before a boss jump or at the end of a pull so you can open with a katon then kassatsu'd doton in a trash pull or something.

However, your opener can be so heavy that you /must/ use Shadewalker on the tank, especially since it'll allow a warrior to open with Storm's Eye for you.

Bebpo

« Reply #886 on: March 03, 2017, 08:55:10 PM »
Did Dusk Vigil.  First HW dungeon content, was solid.  Nice looking stage, cool boss intro.  Fun fights.  My team was rusty and I was pretty rusty cause it's probably been 100+ hours since I've played lvl.50 rotation Ninja seriously. 

After beating it, got the last wind shard for West Coerthas and got FLYING.  Flew around and finished mapping out the area.  Flying is cool.  West Coerthas is pretty neat with all the dragon corpses scattered around.  I found a few sightseeing spots (I'd gotten the 3.0 guide from chocobo feathertail place) and stood in them and it said STANDING IN A VISTA and I did "/lookout" and ...nothing happens.  Do you need to activate the 3.0 sightseeing spots differently?  I wasn't paying attention when I got the quest.

So I was thinking that since HW mats are all pricey whether I can just roll GREED on all the HW dungeon loot and then do desynthesis and get good materials from that?  There's an earing I want to craft "Mosshorn Earings" and I need 10 Field Demimateria I just to craft it along with other mats and I have no idea how to get that cheaply. 

Also I think I need to take a break from playing this, the crafting stuff is too much, too complicated, too expensive, too grindy to deal with while going through MSQ with my NIN.  I'm feeling like taking a breather and then coming back and just sticking to my NIN and doing the rest of HW content and not think about all these other complex expensive systems until later on.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #887 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
lookout usually works but a couple require various other emotes
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #888 on: March 04, 2017, 02:02:48 AM »
Ok, logged on and did my daily GC crafts.  Couple of things I've noticed now after learning how crafting works.  First thing I noticed is that I can HQ a lot of things I craft.  Like out of the 6 or 7 class crafts, I HQ'd 4 or 5 of them, and that's without HQ mats to start with.  Which is nice since it doubles the XP gain for the turn-in.  It's also more fun making HQ items.

Also being able to make HQ items means you can craft stuff in your crafting logs for the XP (first time craft) and then sell them for a little cash since people will buy HQ gear if it's priced reasonably.

But, I didn't do my Goldsmith GC turn in.  First time I've skipped a turn-in, but to get the mats to make the i70 or something item it would've cost me about 40-50k and even just buying the item on the MB would've been 60k and I'm not spending 40-60k to get a little bit of turn in XP, no thanks.  My personal limit for a GC turn-in is spending like 5-6k gil and that's only for a HQ double xp turn-in.

So, if I keep playing and crafting, I think the most efficient strategy for leveling my crafters at this point would be to:

-Do my daily turn-ins for my crafters who are between lvl.35-50 to get them all to 50 and get the cross-craft skills
-One my leves climb back up and one day when I'm bored I should just grind MIN from 41-50 & then BOT from 39-50 so I can get access to the lvl.50+ mats without having to pay insane amounts on the MB
-Once I hit that point, I should be able to gather my own mats and craft them and go back to doing my daily GC turn-ins without having to spend more than 5-6k and that'll take me to either lvl.56 -> blue scrips, or take me to lvl.60 just from GC turn-in xp

I'm kinda hesitant to spend much gil right now and I'm just selling, selling, selling because after I spent probably about 2 million gil yesterday dropping my total from 7.5 million to 6 million (since I sold about 500k yesterday), I kinda want to get back to 7.5-8 million before spending again.  I'm guessing the next time I'll need to spend $$$ is when my MIN hits lvl.50 and I need to gear them up so I can get HW mats for my lvl.50+ crafters.

lookout usually works but a couple require various other emotes

Ah, thanks.  I'll have to faq it. 

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #889 on: March 04, 2017, 04:03:31 AM »
crafting a separate game mang

Bebpo

« Reply #890 on: March 10, 2017, 01:38:25 AM »
Well, got Miner to 51 so I can Mine HW mats since most are too expensive on the MB for lvl.51+ crafting.  But yeah, takes a lot of work!  Like to get 1 mythrite ingot you need 5 mythrite sands which is like an entire gathering attempt + mythril ore (zzz) and the 4 mythrite ore (which is like another gathering attempt).  This stuff will definitely be much more worth doing when I get my Miner retainer to lvl.51+ and gear them up so they can go gather all this stuff for me on an hourly basis.  Doing it myself is too much of a pain in the butt, but at least if I need some mats for lvl.51-55 crafting I can get it myself.

Next up is getting my Botanist from lvl.40->51 and then all my gatherers are 51+, my non-51+ crafters are hitting lvl.38ish right now from GC turn-ins.  Will be nice when all my crafters/gathers are 50+ and I can ditch all the <50 crafting/fielding gear that takes up a bunch of my armory.

Since I'm not really playing FFXIV right now due to Zelda/Nier/SRW/etc..., I think by the time I come back and play HW for real with my NIN, I should have all my crafters/gathers at 50 at this rate since it'll probably be another month or two.

Oh yeah, and today is the 3.55B update, so is that the end of the HW MSQ for you all?  Good stuff?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #891 on: March 10, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
I thought this release just put the diadem back in?
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #892 on: March 10, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
I have no idea, I don't read patch notes since I'm not that far.  But they keep patching it lately...

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #893 on: March 11, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
fyi bebs i left the fc because my old one reformed. you are more than welcome to join up!
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #894 on: March 11, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »
:(

Well, I hardly ever talk to anyone in the FC.  And no one is ever there to help out.  And I don't have access to the garden.  I pretty much just use the FC for the materials seller which is useful when crafting. 
I get kinda jealous when I hear duckroll talk about the huge GAF FC on Ultros and how it's so big that whenever you need anyone for a pf, you'll instantly get a full group of people willing to join up and play with you.  He just did the final 2 dungeons of the MSQ and he got a gaf group that went through both no cutscene skipping so he got the full experience.

I remember doing Coil I'd ask our FC for people when doing pfs and not even one person ever joined :\

I'm almost tempted to change servers and join the GAF FC.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #895 on: March 11, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
yeah that one was almost always silent. this one i rejoined is still small and not always talkative, but it has people that are willing to help out a lot. as a matter of fact someone is creating hq items for me right now to help me use leves to zip to 50 on a couple classes. but if you want to change servers thats cool too. I'm just a less social person so I like it quiet a lot.
pcp

SpeedStats

« Reply #896 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:27 AM »
Relic #2 (ninja) is done. Thanks to Sunblade and another tank we have hanging around in our FC for tanking my shit. Swapped to tank, no questions asked, to speed up my queues.

My windmill book will always have a place in my heart.

Two more to do (WHM, BRD), but I'm taking a break when Nier gets here.

god i want nier to get here soon ;~;

Sunblade and I did new Diadem as both Gatherers and DoM/DoW.  It's... still kind of the same, just with more direction I guess? It's nice that there are objectives, but while they feel worthwhile in Gatherer Diadem, it feels like it gets a little in the way in Northern Thanalan Diadem?  I mean, part of me missed FATE trains in Northern Thanalan so it reminds me of that but it feels kind of rushy because you want to do your objective. But you also want to make room to do boss fates and you want to pop the Emergency Mission even if people are standing by the vendor doing nothing while you're doing all the work to pop it. It's a never ending train for 60 minutes and you get your objectives done in half that time.  We got matched with other couples from Hyperion in our party so it wasn't too bad I guess.

I love the gatherer version because you end up doing/capping scrips and gathering other stuff for crafting while completing your objective, and then you can gather more stuff when you're done at the hidden nodes that revolve around.  I really enjoyed that one.  We got an Emergency Mission when we went to Gatherer Diadem for the first time, and since there were barely any of us in there, and we only had two tanks we only got past the headstone and nothing else. It was Day 1 so I guess people have the strategy figured out. I'm more than a little impressed I kept both of us alive because the headstone hurt like crazy. 

As for your server transfer, Bebpo, the game feels better when you play with people you enjoy talking to and doing content with.  If you feel like you're going to get more socially by transferring to Ultros, it's cool.  The only reason I'm on Hyperion is because Sunblade invited me to play with him and a bunch of us from GAF and elsewhere ended up joining the same server by coincidence.  I feel better in our smaller FC because I know everyone and I'm usually really quiet and shy around new people so it fits me. You can always feel free to ask us for help though. Tbh we just farm for tomestones these days and die a little more inside.

Bebpo

« Reply #897 on: March 12, 2017, 05:54:44 AM »
Being in an FC with more people I know would be nice, but I don't know most of the MMO people on gaf.  I probably wouldn't change servers or even FCs because then I'd lose my private room in my FC I've been building out :|  It's cool, I'll just use linkshell to hang out with you two and PT.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #898 on: March 12, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
i wish they would've kept battling and gathering groups separate groups, or just gotten rid of the time limit and made the area accessible by airship or something. tried to do the emergency mission and a ton of people just flat out said they wouldn't help and kept gathering :/ some people were speculating that ppl were purposely trying not to help, to keep more people from getting a 280 weapon, but who knows.

anyways we beat the tombstone and made it a ways into the next part, till some giant flaming lion thing came and murdered everything. seriously I was getting hit for like 60k damage. it was awesome and I want to go back.

also there was a cool fate that was a nice obscure throwback to ff6 so I of course loved it.

I'm sure I'll like diadem more once I can gather there, but right now I'm still having a ton of fun with it bc of all the new fate bosses. overall, feels like a pretty good update.
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #899 on: March 13, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
This game is amazing and I love it so much, but it has so much content and stuff to do that I feel I'll never be able to do everything I want to do. I tried starting over twice, both on Ultros and Atomos. It's a fun game but it feels very lonely at times, because even though my whole FC lives in my timezone, I feel like they're not very chatty, ans also they're a bit serious in-game, lol.

Also, most people I know have played this way longer than me, or generally just have a lot more time to play than I do, so I always feel so far behind. And even though I'm just playing casually, I hate that feeling.